PDA

View Full Version : Colts cut Gardner

Errant Hothy
05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Anyone interested?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2863714

Gardner, who turns 25 on Wednesday, played in 22 games, with three starts in his first two seasons with the Colts. In 2006, he moved into the starting lineup to replace strongside linebacker David Thornton, who left Indianapolis as an unrestricted free agent.

But in the first 13 games, 12 of which he started, Gardner struggled and so did the Colts' defense, the problems primarily manifested in an inability to stop the run. Gardner was often overpowered at the point of attack and, while his tackle numbers looked good on paper, he was not effective on the field.

I'm not sure I would take him, but I find it odd how all last year we heard that the Colt's run D was bad because of Bob Sanders injury and now Pasterbelly is saying it was due to the LB corp. Does the D-line in Indy not get any scurtiny/carry any of the blame?

gtexan02
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Every team seems to be obsessed with 1 position.
The Colts are apparently scrutinizing their LB and blaming them for the D's issues.

Our team seems to put all the blame on the Dl

In reality I guess its all a combination, but who really knows

The1ApplePie
05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Indy's line is meant to pretty much just rush the passer, with safties and LBs stopping the run (why Sanders was so important). I guess their line failing to stop the run is kind of their system.

Gardner is another Tampa 2 LB that is useless outside the system.

Lucky
05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
The Colts start a 270 lb DE at DT. A 245 lb DE. Lose a LB once a year in free agency. And they are surprised they have trouble stopping the run?

Stopping the run must be overrated. They're Super Bowl champs, right? Raise your hand if you think the Colts won't repeat.

http://www.endscore.com/blogimages/mariowilliams.jpg

OK, both hands!

Errant Hothy
05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
I'd hate to be a LB in Indy today:

Colts | Hoyte released
Tue, 8 May 2007 08:11:40 -0700

The Indianapolis Star reports the Indianapolis Colts released LB Brandon Hoyte Monday, May 7.

Colts | Labinjo released
Tue, 8 May 2007 08:10:59 -0700

The Indianapolis Star reports the Indianapolis Colts released LB Mike Labinjo Monday, May 7.

PapaL
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Indy's line is meant to pretty much just rush the passer, with safties and LBs stopping the run (why Sanders was so important). I guess their line failing to stop the run is kind of their system.

Gardner is another Tampa 2 LB that is useless outside the system.

Didnt Dungy bring his Tampa 2 Defense when he came over from Tampa? In other words Gardner probably just sucks or isnt meant to be in the Tampa 2.

Il_Bruno
05-08-2007, 06:25 PM
stay away from this guy, apparently his assignment in Indy's cover 2 D is just to maintain his gap and he sucked horribly at that. Ive heard from some Indy fans he was a very big reason why the Jags ripped them a new one with over 350+ rushing yards.

he sucks, plain and simple

kiwitexansfan
05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
I think linebacker is one position where we have brought in a lot of competition and we should be better in the coming year. I donít expect to see any more bodies added there.

Errant Hothy
05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Titans | Team claims Gardner
Wed, 9 May 2007 09:03:48 -0700

The Tennessee Titans have claimed free-agent LB Gilbert Gardner off waivers of the Indianapolis Colts.

Il_Bruno
05-09-2007, 04:28 PM
The titans have been dumpster diving in the colt's trash can this off-season :splits: