PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Shaffer-OT

Silver Oak
05-02-2007, 05:10 AM
The Texans are mentioned as a possible suitor for Shaffer. Hopefully Rick Smith will be calling his agent. Article says reviews on his play weren't great, but maybe he fits our ZBS?

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1178008786327380.xml&coll=2

I grabbed this review of Shaffer's play from a Brownie website.

"Notes: Shaffer was not a great left tackle by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe he showed that he would be a better-than-average tackle if the rest of our lineman had at least been of average quality. Considering that the left tackle position is typically harder to play and we had more issues at the right tackle position, Shaffer didn't do too bad of a job. He was our only lineman to remain healthy for the entire season, and durability will be key next season.

Next Season: I would really like for Shaffer to move to right tackle, which would allow the Browns to take a stab at Joe Thomas in the draft. It would seem like a win-win situation, and Shaffer won't have to play as difficult a position."

=" http://www.dawgsbynature.com/story/2007/2/17/193435/612

infantrycak
05-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Article says reviews on his play weren't great, but maybe he fits our ZBS?

No doubt about it as he came from the ZBS Atlanta Falcons where he was coached for 4 years by Alex Gibbs. He signed a 7 year $36 mil contract last year with the Browns with about a $9.5 mil signing bonus. The Browns reportedly want a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for him which the Giants seem to think is too steep but some consideration has to be given to the fact that the Browns will be eating $8 mil of signing bonus. He'd be relatively speaking dirt cheap for the Texans (other than the pick) who would only have to pay his base salary and remaining $3 mil in guaranteed money:

3/11/2006: Signed a seven-year, $36 million contract. The deal includes $12.5 in guarantees. 2007: $815,000, 2008: $2.9 million, 2009: $2.65 million, 2010: $2.9 million, 2011-2012: $3.4 million, 2013: Free Agent. Trading or releasing Shaffer in the 2007 offseason would result in an $8 million cap charge.

Link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2150)

In the last three years as a starting LT he has given up 3.5 (2006) 3.0 (2005) 8.5 (2004--1st year as full time starter).

nunusguy
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Schaffer is intriguing, but with a big caveat.
The Browns lost interest in retaining him after he struggeled his one and only year there. What happened ?
He is a zone guy who played well at Atlanta, got a sweet deal in FA and went to Clevland. Did he struggle because he was not in the ZB system at Cleveland like he was at Atlanta where he flourished, or was it because he was being a "true" LT for the first time in Cleveland and didn't really succeed ?
He was the Falcons LT, but in a sense not really. One of the leagues greatest atheletes, Michael Vick is of course Atlantas QB. And Vick is also a lefty, meaning Vick uses his great athletecism to avoid the rush while having a clear view of the pass rush to his left and his blind side becomes the responsibility of the RT, not the LT.
But Schaffer is still young (27), and with our ZB system here in Houston a player Smith & Co. may look at with some intersest.

eriadoc
05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Shaffer was a 7th round draft pick, so he has shown that he can take some coaching. As others mentioned, he was coached by Alex Gibbs, whose techniques are familiar to Kubiak. So he might be a decent fit, but the left side/right side thing bears mentioning, as Vick was a southpaw.

Porky
05-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I was actually wondering about Shaffer, as I had read somewhere that the Browns wanted to deal him after drafting Thomas. I probably wouldn't consider a first day pick, and we have had a history of doing very well in the 4th round, so I am hesistent with that pick, but might consider it. Having said that, I trust the Texans to make the right move for the right compensation. For me, if it's next years 5th I definintely do the deal. I am just not sold on Jordan Black as anything other than a back-up type, and there is so much uncertainty surrounding Spencer. He had a rep as a pretty good, but not great LT, and has worked in a ZBS very well. Seems to me he would be a major upgrade on what we have had here and great insurance for Spencer.

Shaft75
05-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Do you know how hard it is to read this thread when your last name is Schaffer???

hadaad
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I had heard they have no plans of trading him. Does he have a big signing bonus they'd have to pay?

Intriguing guy but it seems kind of unrealistic.

badboy
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I was actually wondering about Shaffer, as I had read somewhere that the Browns wanted to deal him after drafting Thomas. I probably wouldn't consider a first day pick, and we have had a history of doing very well in the 4th round, so I am hesistent with that pick, but might consider it. Having said that, I trust the Texans to make the right move for the right compensation. For me, if it's next years 5th I definintely do the deal. I am just not sold on Jordan Black as anything other than a back-up type, and there is so much uncertainty surrounding Spencer. He had a rep as a pretty good, but not great LT, and has worked in a ZBS very well. Seems to me he would be a major upgrade on what we have had here and great insurance for Spencer.
Do you thing he would start over what we have now? If so, sounds like he is worth a fourth which should be about the 18-20 pick. ( i hope)

Texans Horror
05-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Why do we need Shafer? From what I've heard, Salaam and I-65 are the be-all, end-all of left tackles. If so, then wouldn't this just be wasted money?

Runner
05-02-2007, 09:11 PM
How much money do w have left? He sounds interesting although I've never really watched him play. Adding him would make for some interesting cut days during the pre-season.

Silver Oak
05-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Why do we need Shafer? From what I've heard, Salaam and I-65 are the be-all, end-all of left tackles. If so, then wouldn't this just be wasted money?

I don't know if we need him at all...only GK and RS are privy to that info, but I just want to give Schaub some good protection this season.