PDA

View Full Version : Texans snag two top UDFA

Overalls
05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Acording to scout.com the Texans came up with two of it's top 25 UDFAs.

DE Victor DeGrate and

LB Jon Abbate

http://cfn.scout.com/2/640132.html

I also heard Rick Smith on 610 talking to McLain and Rich about another pickup. He said they still had one roster spot open and they were saving it for "someone" they were in contract talks with.

The1ApplePie
05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Abbate is a beast

Silver Oak
05-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Short at 5'10", but I really hope they find a spot for him. Reminds me of Bill Bates of the Cowgirls. Undrafted, but a tough, hard nosed ball player.

Overalls
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Funny thing is that according to Sporting News pre draft mag we also got one of the top TEs and FBs. They had Cory Anderson as the 3rd ranked FB and Luke Smith-Anderson as the 7th ranked TE. Of course these rankings don't mean much and the mag may not have taken into account the combine numbers, but it is still better than them being ranked at the bottom of their positions.

the wonger need food
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
It makes sense that some of the better unsigned FA's would want to come here. Logic would tell you that it would be easier to make our roster.

DeGrate looks more like a 3-4 OLB, I'm surprised he signed with us. Then again, we're pretty weak at DE once you get past Mario.

Abbatte will be a fan favorite for years to come. He's the type of guy you build teams around.

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I really like the pick up of Jon Abbate. I would like to see Reliant Stadium doing the "5" thing.

hadaad
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Short at 5'10", but I really hope they find a spot for him. Reminds me of Bill Bates of the Cowgirls. Undrafted, but a tough, hard nosed ball player.

I've been a computer geek too long. I thought you said Bill Gates.

76Texan
05-02-2007, 01:23 AM
I think this class of UDFA is really good for us.
Lotsa sweat comes training camp! :doot: :splits: :texflag:

Bradster592
05-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Abbatte will be a fan favorite for years to come. He's the type of guy you build teams around.

Forgive my ignorance, but if this is the case, why wasn't he drafted by anybody??

PapaL
05-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but if this is the case, why wasn't he drafted by anybody??

Where is that rep button at?

Point of the day.

Marcus
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM

His height. 5'9 3/4". If he were 5 or 6 inches taller, he'd a been a 2nd round pick.

Marcus
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Victor DeGrate, DE/LB Oklahoma State

After serving as a disruptive outside linebacker, he moved to the line. At only 250 pounds, he could potentially move back to a linebacker spot because of his quickness. If he can get bigger and show he can handle himself better against the run, he could be a major player as a tweener. The problem? He got nailed for marijuana possession a week before the draft.

Wow!

texasguy346
05-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Rick Smith was on the radio yesterday & mentioned that he was surprised that Abbate went undrafted. He credited to him pulling up with a hamstring type injury during his 40 and running a five flat. That coupled with his height probably contributed most to him being undrafted. Smith sounded very excited that they were able to sign him & felt like he had a good chance at challenging for a roster spot.

Dallas_Texan
05-02-2007, 09:03 AM

I hate to be pessimistic, but that's exactly what I'm thinking. Getting busted with a joint doesn't drop you from 2nd rounder to undrafted. That's a bit much.

ccdude730
05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I hate to be pessimistic, but that's exactly what I'm thinking. Getting busted with a joint doesn't drop you from 2nd rounder to undrafted. That's a bit much.

the marijuana incident was in reference to DeGrate while the 2nd round comment by Marcus was about Abbate.

Porky
05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
For what it's worth, which is probably not much, my Street & Smiths draft magazine I bought had a 7 rd mock draft in it. They had Abbate going in round 4, Cory Anderson (rated by them as the 2nd best fb behind Leanord) going in the 5th. They also had Enoka Lucas going in the 5th (they also called him under rated). They had Jared Z. going in round 6.

I think the guys above have the best chance of sticking on the final roster. In fact, I'm actually going to be a little surprised if Anderson and Abbate don't find a way to stick on the final roster.

hadaad
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
For what it's worth, which is probably not much, my Street & Smiths draft magazine I bought had a 7 rd mock draft in it. They had Abbate going in round 4, Cory Anderson (rated by them as the 2nd best fb behind Leanord) going in the 5th. They also had Enoka Lucas going in the 5th (they also called him under rated). They had Jared Z. going in round 6.

I think the guys above have the best chance of sticking on the final roster. In fact, I'm actually going to be a little surprised if Anderson and Abbate don't find a way to stick on the final roster.

The only problem with Anderson is that we already have Leach and Cook. I'm not at all against dumping Cook but does he have a big signing bonus they wouldn't want to pay out all at once? Maybe Anderson will sit on the PS this year and get a better chance next year...

Porky
05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
The only problem with Anderson is that we already have Leach and Cook. I'm not at all against dumping Cook but does he have a big signing bonus they wouldn't want to pay out all at once? Maybe Anderson will sit on the PS this year and get a better chance next year...

I think we are going to find that he is better than Cook by a wide margin at blocking, and is at least as good at pass catching. I see him taking Cook's roster spot, but of course only time will tell.

The1ApplePie
05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
DeGrate could be this year's Dumervil/Anderson. Pure pass rusher that was drafted way too low.

I would have liked to see the Noter Dame RB picked up. Bring some speed and hands to the backfield.

Specnatz
05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
DeGrate could be this year's Dumervil/Anderson. Pure pass rusher that was drafted way too low.

I would have liked to see the Noter Dame RB picked up. Bring some speed and hands to the backfield.

Darius walker is not very fast at all. More like a Kimble Anders or Larry Sellers type of guy you put in on thrid down who can run catch and block decently.

He runs a 4.56.