PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com Consensus draft grades. 2.1/4

powerfuldragon
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2854030

so yeah, they averaged a bunch of sportswriter's draft grades, and we ended up with a 2.1. better than the titans who had a 1.7.

the lowest grade went to the redskins (1.2)

Errant Hothy
05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Nobody penalizing Cle. for giving up next year's first just goes further to show that grading drafts the day after they happen is pointless, and most of those handing out grades are either a) pushing their own agendas or b) not that smart.

powerfuldragon
05-01-2007, 06:35 PM
yup, i like it when opinions are consolidated though.

Errant Hothy
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
yup, i like it when opinions are consolidated though.

I'm kinda surprised that most of the grades are consistent for each team, makes me wonder if these guys just buy into each other's hype? The cottage industry that has sprung up around the draft has given voice, and jobs, to alot of people who either couldn't cut it as scouts or are not good enough journalits to do much else. Some of them are ok, espically the local guys mainly cuase they cover both the draft and a team or the NFL in whole. Notice who none of those guys are listed, ie Gosselin and the like.

Grams
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
No one can really grade a draft till at lease 3 years down the road.
No one knows if players in the first round will be bust or a star.

Look at Robert Gallery - supposed to be THE best left tackle to come out of school in forever. He was so good at left tackle they had to move him to the right side.

We picks guys that fill a need for us, hopefully the FO knows how to scout and these guys will become great starters. But we won't know till they actually play.

hadaad
05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
It's okay to grade a draft right away. The players you're grading DO have a body of work. And generally that body of work is what got the FO to draft them in the first place.

I won't grade a draft right away, not because I'm smarter than these guys or less willing to look silly down the road but because I don't know anything about college football.

Of course Mel Kiper is going to say we reached on some guys. He has his BIG BOARD and that's how he's going to grade our draft is according to that. How else would he do it?

I'm going to take the coward's way out and grade out the 2003 AJ draft. But I'll do it later, when I have more time.

TD
05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm kinda surprised that most of the grades are consistent for each team, makes me wonder if these guys just buy into each other's hype?

Funny, I was thinking how spread out they are. Houston had a D+ and a B+. Denver had between a B and a D-. Grading at this point is an exercise in futility.

kastofsna
05-01-2007, 07:31 PM
lol the guy who gave miami a D says John Beck is an injury-prone QB. really? that's news to me.