PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones article

Wolf
04-30-2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/042507aap.html

Jacoby Jones is used to going up against defensive backs from the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. And making the jump from tiny Division II Lane College to the NFL will certainly not be as easy as it may be for a wide receiver coming from a large school in a powerhouse conference.

But according to Jones, you won't see his best game until he faces Champ Bailey or Ronde Barber one Sunday in the near future.

While Jones did not actually single out those two pro-bowlers before he is even officially an NFL receiver--something the WR he models his game after, Chad Johnson, would do--he is certain that his most productive games will come only when he faces the world's best.

"I step up to competition," Jones said. "When the competition steps up, I rise. I walked into the East-West game, and the competition got harder, so I stepped up. I changed my routes up, I changed my whole demeanor."

NFLdraftscout.com has Jones slated to be the 80th player off the board, heading to Tennessee to team with Vince Young. The move would not surprise Jones, who, without any mention of that particular mock draft, indicated that the Titans were one of the teams he believed had the strongest interest in him.

"You get a gut feeling," said the 6-foot-4, 210-pound New Orleans native. "And my gut feeling really tells me the Texans or the Titans."

JustBonee
04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Listening to him talk on the radio this afternoon, he definitely has confidence in his own ability to succeed in the NFL. His COCKINESS rating is off the charts!
Hope he lives up to it! :redtowel:

Twitch-Houston
04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Listening to him talk on the radio this afternoon, he definitely has confidence in his own ability to succeed in the NFL. His COCKINESS rating is off the charts!
Hope he lives up to it! :redtowel:

I missed it. Did he sound "Cocky" or "Confident"?

hot pickle
04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
thats jacoby, he knows hes good...

GuerillaBlack
04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't mind having a Chad Johnson. Bring some funny acts to the game.

JustBonee
04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
He did. ... maybe some of it was pure excitement and all, but he sounded very sure of himself. Better than a doubter I guess. :doot:

Twitch-Houston
04-30-2007, 05:25 PM
610 as the audio clip of Jones on their website under the podcast section.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/

nunusguy
04-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Confident is a giant understatement, as it was definitely in the cocky to mouthy range. Its fine with me if he can back it up. We'll see ?
I dunno why, but I got a good feeling about this kid. Maybe because I think offensive skill-positions oughta be an area where Smith & Kubiak can identify future playmakers ?
But this is defintely a roll of the dice, under the best expectations. I saw a tape of one of his college games, and there was no one on the sidelines. There was no stands. It looked like a HS scrimmage. This kid has seen no kind of competition ever until a very quick stretch at the E-W all-star game.
Like I said, we'll see ?

rockabilly
04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
I just messaged Jacoby last night. I welcomed him to the Texans and asked him what he is gonna do playin the opposite side of Andre.

His response this afternoon, "Win baby."

hehe. I like this guys attitude.

Honoring Earl 34
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Confident is a giant understatement, as it was definitely in the cocky to mouthy range. Its fine with me if he can back it up. We'll see ?
I dunno why, but I got a good feeling about this kid. Maybe because I think offensive skill-positions oughta be an area where Smith & Kubiak can identify future playmakers ?
But this is defintely a roll of the dice, under the best expectations. I saw a tape of one of his college games, and there was no one on the sidelines. There was no stands. It looked like a HS scrimmage. This kid has seen no kind of competition ever until a very quick stretch at the E-W all-star game.
Like I said, we'll see ?

I don't mind a player who's cocky . If his teamates except him then he's not obnoxious .

I'm tired of choir boys ... you see that with the Astros somewhat . I welcome some extroverted behavior ... kinda like Dunta .

I'll take a guy with energy ... a guy that I have to tone down any day of the week over one you have to motivate .

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Could Jones be a Chad Johnson for us (cocky attitude and all)?

LORK 88
05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Could Jones be a Chad Johnson for us (cocky attitude and all)?
Chad Johnson's a good person off the field too, so I hope that he can turn into him completely. He's a character without too much baggage. Also, I know people will want to rag me to death for saying the above, but I heard a story where a kid gave him $1 so Chad reached into his wallet and gave the kid a $100 and told him merry christmas.

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Chad Johnson's a great person off the field too, so I hope that he can turn into him completely. He's a character without too much baggage.
That's a good thing about him. He is a funny/good character. I love his props and things. I wouldn't mind Jones bringing some fun to Texan fans.

Double Barrel
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm trusting our FO right now. We've only got one draft to go on, but they have a good eye for talent and we still have all of our 2006 picks on the roster.

I like this kid. He's got a chip on his shoulder to prove himself, and our special teams could use the energy boost, especially on punt returns. I hope he backs up his attitude on the field, because it could pay big dividends for us.

TexanFan881
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I love this pick. I love his confidence in his ability, hopefully he'll live up to it. I like what he could bring to the table for us.

Anyone know where any highlight videos or something of him are? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything. (Rep to whoever can help me :):thumbup)

What do you think are the chances he wears #84 next year (I've got a Moulds jersey - it would be nice if I could just put a Jones patch over it :))

hot pickle
05-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I love this pick. I love his confidence in his ability, hopefully he'll live up to it. I like what he could bring to the table for us.

Anyone know where any highlight videos or something of him are? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything. (Rep to whoever can help me :):thumbup)

What do you think are the chances he wears #84 next year (I've got a Moulds jersey - it would be nice if I could just put a Jones patch over it :))

i think he'll stick with 12

cause he wore #2 at lane

Dallas_Texan
05-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I really hope JJ pans out. I have faith in Amobi and Fred Bennett being good, but I think Jacoby will be the difference between a 'C' draft, and an A- draft. I think our O-linemen could be great after some NFL Europe time, the only decision I hate is Harrison....hopefully I'm proved wrong there.

Here's to hoping AJ, and JJ become a powerhouse tandem:texflag:

badboy
05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
If Jones and Bennett can start this season, it will be a very successfull draft imo. I was really focusing on CB rather than DT, but I am ok with the Big Amoeba. Just hope the FO was not trying to make the Mario decision look better.

TexanAddict
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I doubt this has been addressed publicly, but has anyone heard Kubiak or Smith say how the Jacoby signing will impact Mathis' role? Have they given up on Mathis as a receiver and expect him to not make the roster, or do they plan on putting both Jacoby and Mathis deep on kickoffs and seeing who can step up as the bigger receiving threat? Just curious. I think with both Jacoby and Mathis back for kickoffs, the opposing team would have no choice but to pooch kick everytime, assuming Jacoby is as good at returns as advertised. Not sure we would carry both on the roster though.

:highfive:

Specnatz
05-02-2007, 04:01 PM

cause he wore #2 at lane

I hope he goes with a number in the 80's. Being old school and I have noticed that a lot of the guys who were the numbers in the teens have attitude issues.

I know I shold not put stock it like this but oh well.

PapaL
05-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I doubt this has been addressed publicly, but has anyone heard Kubiak or Smith say how the Jacoby signing will impact Mathis' role? Have they given up on Mathis as a receiver and expect him to not make the roster, or do they plan on putting both Jacoby and Mathis deep on kickoffs and seeing who can step up as the bigger receiving threat? Just curious. I think with both Jacoby and Mathis back for kickoffs, the opposing team would have no choice but to pooch kick everytime, assuming Jacoby is as good at returns as advertised. Not sure we would carry both on the roster though.

:highfive:

Now that is very interesting. Those two returning kicks would be awesome (assuming JJ is even half decent at it).

The subject of Mathis has been very mum for a while now. Guess it time for him to put up or shut up. Probowl KR aren't easy to find either though.

the wonger need food
05-02-2007, 05:26 PM

cause he wore #2 at lane

12 it is... http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=286

Texans_Chick
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Fun post at Battle Red Blog about Jones (http://www.battleredblog.com/story/2007/4/30/9631/99910):

I had front row seats at the Shrine game this year at Reliant and I'd like to tell you what I saw.
I bought a program that night, which I never do, because I couldn't tell who was who. Mostly because everyone had mismatching uni's and the PA announcer was terrible. This was before the Schaub deal, so honestly we were watching the QB's the most. Beck and Rowe were by far the best there, but there was only one player on field that everyone was watching intently.
I swear to god it was Jacoby Jones. First, because he was a late addition, he wasn't in the program. It looked like Randy Moss had snuck into the game and they weren't telling anyone. This dude is bigger than Moss though, he looked like a man amidst the small CB's and safeties. He was faster, bigger and more charismatic than everyone who tried to cover him. The reason I throw charasmatic in there is because he was genuinely excited to be on the field at all times and the crowd (all 10,000 mildly amused fans) was cheering his every move. He had a huge cheering section right next to me and they were all wearing his jersey and other things with his name on it (Where the Hell is Lane College?).
It was bizarre to say the least. There was this guy no one had ever heard of, wasn't in the program but was on the field for two thirds of the game, runnning wild all over the place and when he wasn't on the field, he was standing on the bench swinging a towel over his head in sheer joy. I am not making any of this up. I don't think he ever connected on a long pass play, but they that's because he outran the throws from the QB's. He would be 60-70 yard's downfield constantly, but no one could get him the ball.
Anyways, we do have a project with this guy. He'll need to be able to run routes inside against heavier db's and harness in some of the wild energy he has. I guarantee ya'll will love him and so will his teammates.

Honoring Earl 34
05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Survey says ...... :fans: :whip: :fans: :splits: :fans:

kastofsna
05-03-2007, 08:47 PM
i'm liking this kid a lot. gotta like a cocky guy from Lane College. should be exciting to see his progress. and....frustrating. but in the end, it'll pay off.

Blu
05-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I hope he pans out to be a gem at Wideout..isn't he also a Return guy?

:doot:

Buffi2
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
If nothing else, he should be added excitement. If he was excited to be in the Shrine game, can you imagine his first NFL game?:doot:

76Texan
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
It will be good to see how he does in camp.

zcity
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
If someone has video of Jacoby from the East West game - PLEASE POST IT

Twitch-Houston
05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Survey says ...... :fans: :whip: :fans: :splits: :fans:

I'm with HE34!!! :fans:

badboy
05-04-2007, 10:51 AM
If either he or Mathis can get down field, at least they take a defender with them. Imagine if they could catch a pass or two? We will see.

Lucky
05-04-2007, 10:54 AM
If someone has video of Jacoby from the East West game - PLEASE POST IT

I have the entire Shrine game on DVD. But, I don't have the software needed to pull clips and turn them into .wmv, .mpg, or .avi files. :(

Specnatz
05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I have the entire Shrine game on DVD. But, I don't have the software needed to pull clips and turn them into .wmv, .mpg, or .avi files. :(

If you have a dvd player on your pc you can goto

http://reviews.cnet.com/Software/2001-3513_7-0.html?tag=ont.sw

and find a free trial of the software to rip it and change the format.

FirstTexansFan
05-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I've spent the past week searching for any video on Jacoby Jones with no luck. If I can be of any assistance to anyone with footage, let me know.

Overalls
05-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Here is a link to Last years Lane colleges football stats.

http://www.thesiac.com/stats06-07/football/LANE.HTM

Jacoby had 89 net yards rushing on 9 attemps for a 9.9 per carry avg with 1 TD.

Jacoby had 822 yards receiving on 68 catches for a 12.1 per catch avg with 6 TDs

Jacoby had 330 yards on punts returned on 24 attemps for a 13.8 per return avg with 1 TD

Jacoby had 848 yards on Kick returns on 38 attemps for a 22.3 per return avg with 2 TDs. His longest kick return was 85 yards.

He also lead the team with 2089 all purpose yards.

And don't ask me how, but he also is credited with 1/2 a sack.

wicked_wayz
05-04-2007, 10:00 PM
hey wolf is that your wife????????? if so dannnnnnnnnnnnnnng you hit the jackpot:fans:

wicked_wayz
05-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Fun post at Battle Red Blog about Jones (http://www.battleredblog.com/story/2007/4/30/9631/99910):

nice read texan chick:) jones going to be one of the crowds favorites

wicked_wayz
05-04-2007, 10:04 PM
I've spent the past week searching for any video on Jacoby Jones with no luck. If I can be of any assistance to anyone with footage, let me know.

i tried also and still have no luck, but hey if i do find a clip il let you know

newport texan
05-05-2007, 01:24 AM
That's a good thing about him. He is a funny/good character. I love his props and things. I wouldn't mind Jones bringing some fun to Texan fans. Chad Johnson is the Carrot Top of the NFL!

rmartin65
05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
If he really is as cocky as some people say he is, then thats cool. He looks like he could back it up. I hope he doess well. Just a question on his special teams role: Is he gonna be the punt returner, and mathis the kick returner? If Jones does both, Mathis is gone. And I will have to make a new avatar.

Hottoddie
05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I'd love to see both of them out there on kick offs & punt returns at the same time. Imagine the opposition's dilemma. How would you defense them?

TexanExile
05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
And don't ask me how, but he also is credited with 1/2 a sack.

Now THAT is officially the highlight I am dying to see.

The Pencil Neck
05-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Now THAT is officially the highlight I am dying to see.

Probably a fake punt and he was the gunner or something.

TexanExile
05-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Probably a fake punt and he was the gunner or something.

Maybe...it sounds like he got a couple of plays in on D last season, but the available stats are too vague to tell:

From Sportsline: (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/1220258)
Football became Jones' sole priority over the summer, and he showed up for August camp sporting close to 20 more pounds of muscle. He was the SIAC MVP and Offensive Player of the Year in 2006, leading the league with 68 catches for 822 yards (12.1 avg.) and six touchdowns. He averaged 22.3 yards with two scores on 38 kickoff returns and 13.8 yards with a touchdown on 24 punt returns. He added 89 yards and a score on nine carries (9.9 avg.) and even saw action on defense, making two tackles and assisting on a sack while amassing 2,089 all-purpose yards.

Jones started all 43 games that he appeared in at Lane. He caught 200 passes for 2,750 yards (13.8 avg.) and 21 touchdowns while rushing 22 times for 147 yards (6.7 avg.) and a score. He returned 49 punts for 548 yards (11.2 avg.) and a touchdown, adding four scores on 91 kickoff returns for 1,937 yards (21.3 avg.). He also completed all three pass attempts for 105 yards and a touchdown, recorded seven tackles (six solos) with an assisted sack for minus-8 yards and blocked three kicks. He finished his career with a school-record 5,380 all-purpose yards.

Either way, somebody in Jackson, Tennessee had to have a video camera that day...I hope!

The Pencil Neck
05-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Maybe...it sounds like he got a couple of plays in on D last season, but the available stats are too vague to tell:

From Sportsline: (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/1220258)
Football became Jones' sole priority over the summer, and he showed up for August camp sporting close to 20 more pounds of muscle. He was the SIAC MVP and Offensive Player of the Year in 2006, leading the league with 68 catches for 822 yards (12.1 avg.) and six touchdowns. He averaged 22.3 yards with two scores on 38 kickoff returns and 13.8 yards with a touchdown on 24 punt returns. He added 89 yards and a score on nine carries (9.9 avg.) and even saw action on defense, making two tackles and assisting on a sack while amassing 2,089 all-purpose yards.

Jones started all 43 games that he appeared in at Lane. He caught 200 passes for 2,750 yards (13.8 avg.) and 21 touchdowns while rushing 22 times for 147 yards (6.7 avg.) and a score. He returned 49 punts for 548 yards (11.2 avg.) and a touchdown, adding four scores on 91 kickoff returns for 1,937 yards (21.3 avg.). He also completed all three pass attempts for 105 yards and a touchdown, recorded seven tackles (six solos) with an assisted sack for minus-8 yards and blocked three kicks. He finished his career with a school-record 5,380 all-purpose yards.

Either way, somebody in Jackson, Tennessee had to have a video camera that day...I hope!

Wow. I hadn't seen that!

Maybe we DO have our FS! :joker:

Honoring Earl 34
05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Our front office is so good they solve the FS and the #2 WR problem with one pick . :shades:

The Pencil Neck
05-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Our front office is so good they solve the FS and the #2 WR problem with one pick . :shades:

Kid better be in really good physical condition. Playing both sides of the ball AND returning kicks AND being the gunner? Whew.

Honoring Earl 34
05-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Kid better be in really good physical condition. Playing both sides of the ball AND returning kicks AND being the gunner? Whew.

They're saving roster spots so they can ___ ?

The Pencil Neck
05-06-2007, 02:44 PM
They're saving roster spots so they can ___ ?

Sign more defensive tackles?

Or Running Backs?

Twitch-Houston
05-07-2007, 09:27 AM

And another back up QB.....

"He also completed all three pass attempts for 105 yards and a touchdown"

Texans_Chick
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Given that write up, it wouldn't surprise me if ST Coach Joe Marciano lobbied for this pick. If you are picking a WR that may not get time as a starter right away, you might as well get lots of special teams value from him.

Lucky
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
If you are picking a WR that may not get time as a starter right away, you might as well get lots of special teams value from him.
I have to wonder if that's not being a bit overplayed. Jones is over 6'2" and 210 lbs. Not a lot of NFL punt returners fit those dimensions. Also, Jones had some fumbling problems at Lane, possibly due to his small hands. Not good for a NFL punt returner. I'm not sure Jacoby is a lock for the punt return duties.

On the other hand, Jones has proto WCO WR size. Plus, he has some run after catch ability. If the Texans can work with him on his routes, Jacoby might be a factor on passing downs in 3 & 4 WR sets.

Vinny
05-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I have to wonder if that's not being a bit overplayed. Jones is over 6'2" and 210 lbs. Not a lot of NFL punt returners fit those dimensions. Also, Jones had some fumbling problems at Lane, possibly due to his small hands. Not good for a NFL punt returner. I'm not sure Jacoby is a lock for the punt return duties.

On the other hand, Jones has proto WCO WR size. Plus, he has some run after catch ability. If the Texans can work with him on his routes, Jacoby might be a factor on passing downs in 3 & 4 WR sets.The few clips I saw on him were impressive...he has mad yac skillz and I'm sure that is why he ran back punts even though I agree that you don't tend to find too many tall angular elusive guys with running back skills ...hopefully they translate to the NFL. I can see this guy tearing up a few defenders with short crossing routes and the slants that we will throw off the play and run action in Kubiak's version of the wco. I don't even know what conference Lane College is in. Is it the "kill the man with the ball" conference?

HOU-TEX
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
The few clips I saw on him were impressive...he has mad yac skillz and I'm sure that is why he ran back punts even though I agree that you don't tend to find too many tall angular elusive guys with running back skills ...hopefully they translate to the NFL. I can see this guy tearing up a few defenders with short crossing routes and the slants that we will throw off the play and run action in Kubiak's version of the wco. I don't even know what conference Lane College is in. Is it the "kill the man with the ball" conference?

Or possibly the "smeer the queer" conference. lol. Ah, the good ol days.:)

Lucky
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't even know what conference Lane College is in. Is it the "kill the man with the ball" conference?
It's in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which has some prestigious black colleges like Tuskegee, Morehouse, and Stillman. Known more for their academic success than athletics. Enrollment at the schools in the SIAC range from 5,000 to less than 1,000. But, they do play 11 man football. I think?

Honoring Earl 34
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
The few clips I saw on him were impressive...he has mad yac skillz and I'm sure that is why he ran back punts even though I agree that you don't tend to find too many tall angular elusive guys with running back skills ...hopefully they translate to the NFL. I can see this guy tearing up a few defenders with short crossing routes and the slants that we will throw off the play and run action in Kubiak's version of the wco. I don't even know what conference Lane College is in. Is it the "kill the man with the ball" conference?

Vinny .... what I saw looked like what Vince would look like playing WR .

He is a tall guy with quick feet and little upper body motion .

Texans_Chick
05-07-2007, 05:17 PM

On the other hand, Jones has proto WCO WR size. Plus, he has some run after catch ability. If the Texans can work with him on his routes, Jacoby might be a factor on passing downs in 3 & 4 WR sets.

I think it was just an added factor. Kubiak is all about player being able to play multiple roles, including special teams. I don't think Marciano wants to do auditions for returner all season. So for the guys that were available as a WR where the Texans were drafting in the third, it was an added factor.

You know, maybe not starting right away but has enough ST talent to hide there a bit.

People compare him to Mathis because of the small school track thing, but I don't think he is as fast as Mathis. (Marciano loved Mathis' breakaway speed--what he didn't have with JJ Moses).

Porky
05-08-2007, 05:04 PM
For those who can't get enough of JAcoby Jones, Scott Wright did an interview with him. You can read it here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/jacobyjones/jacobyjones.html