PDA

View Full Version : Richard Justice Column

Buffi2
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Today, I am going to believe what Richard Justice from the Chronicle says.
link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4758731.html)

THE Texans had another really good day, a day that ought to make you feel good about this franchise's direction. Someday we'll look back and see this day as part of a remarkable offseason that brought dramatic change and progress.

If that doesn't make your heart skip a beat, maybe this will.

They're close enough to contend for a playoff spot next season if Schaub is the real deal.They haven't done a single dumb thing since Charley Casserly left the organization. Not one.

I will come back to reality tomorrow...maybe - but today I'm going to live in Richard Justice's world believing in playoffs.:homer:

HoustonFrog
04-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Except for this quote

"I'll know more about him after reviewing his games against Benedict College and Clark-Atlanta. He's not especially big or fast, but the Texans were excited to get him."

I mean he isn't fast, time wise but he return kicks and makes plays. I'm a believer in football speed and not 40 time. Rice was never really fast but I never saw people catch him. I don't think he is tiny either.

TexanSam
04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Justice is wrong in saying the team hasn't done one dumb thing. They gave Eric Moulds a mulityear deal and they signed Carr to a 3 year extension when they could have given him 2 years.

HJam72
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Justice is wrong in saying the team hasn't done one dumb thing. They gave Eric Moulds a mulityear deal and they signed Carr to a 3 year extension when they could have given him 2 years.

I believe Casserly was still here when those things happened, but Capers was gone.

I don't remember if CC was still here when they cut Seth Wand, but that was a mistake in my mind, considering he was good depth (albeit overpayed, I'm sure); and, look what happened--Spencer went down.

Double Barrel
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Read carefully:

They're close enough to contend for a playoff spot next season if Schaub is the real deal.They haven't done a single dumb thing since Charley Casserly left the organization. Not one.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM

That isn't this offseason, though.

TexanSam
04-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Read carefully:

I thought Casserly was gone when they signed Moulds

Runner
04-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I believe Casserly was still here when those things happened, but Capers was gone.

Kubiak did have heavy influence at the time - at least for the Moulds deal.

The jury is still out on moves though. If the o-line plays poorly again, which isn't outside the realm of possibility, then it was a big mistake not to address it.

I think the jury is still out on the QB deal too. Just because we signed Schaub doesn't make it a guaranteed good move.

At this point, saying they've made no mistakes is based on an optimistic outlook, not on performance.

Double Barrel
04-29-2007, 01:21 PM
I thought Casserly was gone when they signed Moulds

My reply was more about signing Carr to the extension. That happened on Casserly's watch and well before Smith took the reigns.

Runner
04-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't remember if CC was still here when they cut Seth Wand, but that was a mistake in my mind, considering he was good depth (albeit overpayed, I'm sure); and, look what happened--Spencer went down.

Wand was playing for the minimum tender. If that is overpaid, what about giving Jordan Black, who had worse numbers as a starter, a $1M+ signing bonus?

The only way to blame CC for Wand's cut (or more directly his lack of playing time and development in 2005) is because Wand was perceived as a Casserly guy. He got caught up in the coaches vs. front office politics.

Not a smart way to build a team.

HJam72
04-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Wand was playing for the minimum tender.

Dang, I thought they let him go because of money. They really should've kept him around. I know he sucked as a rookie starter, but backup LTs usually do as a rookie.

Anyway, things do seem to be getting better. Can't help wishing we had somebody like Nelson, Landry, Revis, or Hall though.

Runner
04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Dang, I thought they let him go because of money. They really should've kept him around. I know he sucked as a rookie starter, but backup LTs usually do as a rookie.

I thought it was dumb in foresight, and it certainly looked like a poor decision in hindsight, especially after watching Bedell in his 10 minutes of playing time.

As far as sucking as a starter, Wand had better numbers, with a worse surrounding cast, than Jordan Black when he played almost a full year. The acquisition of Black is usually considered a good move. There are some bad moves in there somewhere.

However, the article states that this staff has not made any mistakes. I guess Casserly was still here to take the bullet for this one.