PDA

View Full Version : Coaches, defense

SheTexan
04-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Since we seem to be focusing on our defense, I was wondering what you guys/gals thought about our D coaches. I've read pro's and con's about Richard Smith, and know very little about Franklin or Bush. Hoke has been around since the beginning so I know a little more about him. We seem to have a lot of young, raw guys on our defense now. Just wanted your opinions as to whether our coaches are up to the challenge.

Kaiser Toro
04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
I have not been a fan of Hoke for some time and in a way I am kind of glad we did not draft any secondary for him to "teach." Jethro Franklin has some work to do and the FO and Kubiak are putting a lot of pressure on the first year DL coach for us.

WR is also a concern as we have a new WR coach as well as a new QB coach to go with a new QB.

In the end it does come down the players to make plays on the field, but the fundamentals and technique within the game plan are served up by the position coach.

The1ApplePie
04-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I would have prefered keeping the 3-4, but our D plays well for having 3 scrubs and D-Rob in the secondary.

Double Barrel
04-29-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of Richard Smith. His playcalling is affected by his moods, which can be affected by what people say in the press. He seems arrogant and unable to make adjustments during the game, and some of his playcalling has been downright boneheaded (leaving Faggins to single cover when he just got burned for a TD, prevent D against Losman, only to pull the safety when it mattered most, blitzing Vince Young on 3rd and long, etc.).

Hopefully Bush will be the equalizer, the yin the Smith's dang.

SheTexan
04-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Are these guys gonna be able to mold these young kids and make them into the BEAST they have been predicted to be?? I realize only time will tell, but, for some reason I have a feeling in my gut that we don't have the best D coaches around to get the job done. Just feeling a little insecure with all the youngsters on the roster, and with Bush and Franklin both being first year coaches with Houston. Just wondering what you guys thought.

infantrycak
04-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Look for a different attitude from the D with Bush on board. Former LB and that attitude will hopefully come out on the field.