PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Okoye: Henceforth to be called...

Hervoyel
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Since I think he sounds like a Jedi Knight I'm calling him...

Amobi-Wan Okoye or simply "The Force".

So let it be written, so let it be done. I'm going to have to whip up a sig pic for this.

Señor Stan
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM

So let it be written, so let it be done. I'm going to have to whip up a sig pic for this.

I thought the same thing earlier today.

Help me Amobe-wan Okoye...you're my only hope.

I didn't think of the Force though...I like it.

Silver Oak
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
"He capped his college career with a performance in the Senior Bowl that earned him the nickname "Phee" -- for phenom -- from teammates."

Just my opinion, but I think 65,000 folks yelling "PHEE" when he runs out of the tunnel would sound pretty cool.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070426/SPORTS0303/704260595/1224/SPORTS08

Scooter
04-28-2007, 10:13 PM
what about a nickname for those of us that arent dorks? :doot:

:hothboy:

phee works

Porky
04-28-2007, 10:19 PM

I kind of like that. I wonder how you thought of that? :splits:

disaacks3
04-28-2007, 10:23 PM

Amobi-Wan Okoye or simply "The Force". :hothboy:

I was too distracted by the cheerleaders, Miller-Lite girls, TCs legs & my wife's elbow to the ribs to be that creative at the Draft Party.....but I Love it Herv!

Hervoyel
04-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I stood on the shoulders of giants and copied down the good parts Porky. You know how I am :)

GTFan
04-28-2007, 11:05 PM
The Nigerian Nightmare could be a good nickname, stolen from the other Okoye.

texasguy346
04-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't know if I could tolerate seeing the Star Wars thing at Astro games with Luke Scott AND at Texans games with Amobi. It's not as clever but how about calling him The Professor. He's a really smart kid afterall. More than I can say for myself.

BTW David Carr was at the Astros game tonight. Uh oh I just turned this into a Carr thread. Sorry Herv.

Hervoyel
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
How many times was he sacked?

texasguy346
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM

I think Barbara Bush got him 2 or 3 times.

Specnatz
04-28-2007, 11:20 PM

LMAO nice

:doot:

I think Barbara Bush got him 2 or 3 times.

That is just not right Barbra Bush and sack in the same sentence.

CrunkTex
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Hakeem was The Dream. Okoye is The Nightmare.

Il_Bruno
04-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Sheeeeeit, crunk dont like da pic mein.

what a shocker dude, im just messing with ya but come one, try some of that new agy positive thinking stuff :texflag:

TexanSam
04-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Maybe we can have a nickname for our defense if Mario, DeMeco, Dunta, and Okoye all live up to their potential.

GTFan
04-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Maybe we can have a nickname for our defense if Mario, DeMeco, Dunta, and Okoye all live up to their potential.

Well, that is 4 of the 11 defensive positions that are accounted for with, oh, top 33 picks, not to mention Babin and Travis Johnson in that mix (for a total of 6 of 11 defensive positions are top 33 picks), along with Weaver amd Greenwood in FA. I think we should start having an improved D, don't you?That just leaves maybe a future safety?....

Maybe on day 2 tomorrow?

False Start
04-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Excellent nickname . Maybe he can bust out some Jedi Mind Tricks on some QBs . :jam: :jam:

Vinny
04-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Hakeem was The Dream. Okoye is The Nightmare.Let's not do old worn out nicknames that other players made famous in other cities....that's just so...tailcoat riding. I came up with the Nigerian 419 Email Scammer-guy!

....but I don't think that will catch on.

I think a hologram with Amobi would make a nice avatar, even if Herv doesn't like the 419.

TD
04-29-2007, 09:51 AM
what about a nickname for those of us that arent dorks? :doot:

That was my first thought until I realized I am a dork....I like it.

Kaiser Toro
04-29-2007, 09:59 AM
With Amobi Wan, Travis "Chewy" Johnson, Anthony "Solo" Weaver and Mario Calrissian-Williams all piling in the Maltese Lamborghini hopefully we will see "The Return of the Sack," in the city of Houston.

Vinny
04-29-2007, 10:09 AM
With Amobi Wan, Travis "Chewy" Johnson, Anthony "Solo" Weaver and Mario Calrissian-Williams all piling in the Maltese Lamborghini hopefully we will see "The Return of the Sack," in the city of Houston.:user: :fans:

04-29-2007, 11:43 AM
the new nigerian nightmare.

Double Barrel
04-29-2007, 01:27 PM
I like the Star Wars blast...and our D should take the field with the "Imperial March" playing.

bum bum bum Dum da dum Dum da dum

Twitch-Houston
04-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I like the Star Wars blast...and our D should take the field with the "Imperial March" playing.

bum bum bum Dum da dum Dum da dum

I'm dork....er um man enough for it. Let it be done!!!

Texan Asylum
04-29-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/okoye_amobi
Just a part of the article, but 'Oh what a feeling'! :d: :mail: :doot:

Compares To: Reggie White, ex-Philadelphia/Green Bay … To compare a player to White is something that can not be done without much consideration … But the more you see Okoye on game films, the more convinced you become that he will not only have a long, fruitful career, but will continue to grow both physically and mentally.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I read that yesterday. I really hope it is true because that would be so exciting!

Vinny
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
well....the Reggie White comparison is kinda not too sharp....whomever wrote that probably never seen Reggie White play. White was a freak of nature that was 6'5" and physically imposing...Okoye is a short big man with quickness.

Texan Asylum
04-29-2007, 04:02 PM
well....the Reggie White comparison is kinda not too sharp....whomever wrote that probably never seen Reggie White play. White was a freak of nature that was 6'5" and physically imposing...Okoye is a short big man with quickness.
It's all good Vin! We'll take the positive press either way! :cool:

All joking aside, this year should pan out to be a real thrill for the fans and the team! :texflag:

Wolf
04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
hopefully at 19 he is still growing and can grow a few more inches in height.

if not, well here is to him learning the game :d:

Vinny
04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
It's all good Vin! We'll take the positive press either way! :cool:

All joking aside, this year should pan out to be a real thrill for the fans and the team! :texflag:
I mean...last year "they" compared Mario Williams to Reggie White too....and Williams has about the opposite body type as Okoye. We are full of Reggie White clones now I guess. :)

Texan Asylum
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
We are full of Reggie White clones now I guess. :)

Cool! I'll buy that for a dollar! :)

Buffi2
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
I mean...last year "they" compared Mario Williams to Reggie White too....and Williams has about the opposite body type as Okoye. We are full of Reggie White clones now I guess. :)

You just can't have too many Reggie Whites. :shades: The more the merrier.:d:

Wolf
04-29-2007, 04:10 PM
if only we could get TJ's motor running

brakos82
04-29-2007, 04:45 PM
We should do something with the Twilight Zone.

(twilight zone theme song in background)

:d:

jerek
04-29-2007, 04:52 PM
if only we could get TJ's motor running

Say good bye to TJ--I think the Okoye pick all but finalizes that.

powerfuldragon
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally from Anambra, Nigeria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anambra%2C_Nigeria), Amobi moved to Huntsville, Alabama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsville%2C_Alabama) when he was 12 years old. After only spending two weeks in middle school, he tested into the 9th grade. He first started playing football as a sophomore, knowing virtually nothing about the game before his high school coach suggested he go play Madden NFL football to learn. By the time he was a senior, he won first-team All-State honors as both a defensive lineman and offensive lineman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I hope we can atleast trade TJ. Not sure who would want him. I bet he is gone before the season starts, though.

Wolf
04-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I hope we can atleast trade TJ. Not sure who would want him. I bet he is gone before the season starts, though.

I'd like a trade, but I think the trading deadline is over on NFLE

powerfuldragon
04-29-2007, 05:20 PM
We should do something with the Twilight Zone.

(twilight zone theme song in background)

no, star wars is cooler.

amobi-wan it is.

PapaL
04-29-2007, 05:46 PM
His nickname is "You Know".

Check out his latest interview, Okoye officially introduced in Houston, on Texans TV.

Lucky
04-29-2007, 06:04 PM

That is weak. I'd love to see you in front of a dozens of reporters and cameramen during the biggest event of your life. I'm sure you would be Mr. Smooth.

Considering his age and the situation, I thought Amobi handled himself well. Extremely well.

powerfuldragon
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM

try being 19 and on one of the world's biggest stages.

PapaL
04-29-2007, 08:42 PM
You both should get off your high horses, it was a joke. HaHaHa, you know joke. Damn.

PowerfulDragon - Try being 19 and in a warzone. Been there, done that. Much bigger stages then a Texans Press Conf.

powerfuldragon
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
PowerfulDragon - Try being 19 and in a warzone. Been there, done that. Much bigger stages then a Texans Press Conf.

the point i was trying to make is that 19 is young. you're not ready for much of what life has to throw at you at that point in your life.. he hasn't been in houston for 24 hours and we're already making fun of him.

Wolf
04-29-2007, 11:41 PM

I don't know about knicknames, but I hope for a DOMinating front 7 from DeMeco,Okoye, and Mario

scourge
04-30-2007, 12:28 AM
I think I'll just call him Phee...

powerfuldragon
04-30-2007, 12:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/amobiwan.jpg

Specnatz
04-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Well Jacksonville will be calling him Daddy along with Mario and Demeco.

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2007, 02:02 AM

hahahhaha at that and your picture. i love 'em both!

Errant Hothy
04-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Say good bye to TJ--I think the Okoye pick all but finalizes that.

Yup, TJ is done; and it'a shame. He ahs the physical talent to be a really good player, just never showed the desire of want to. I think I'm more disappionted in TJ then I was about Carr failing...oh well.

Bring on the Imperial March :hothboy:

Kaiser Toro
04-30-2007, 09:29 AM
TJ is signed thorugh 2011 with allocated bonus of 1.02m per year while his base is only 435k. I do not see him going anywhere unless there is a personality conflict somewhere.

Hervoyel
04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
TJ is signed thorugh 2011 with allocated bonus of 1.02m per year while his base is only 435k. I do not see him going anywhere unless there is a personality conflict somewhere.

Exactly. TJ becomes what passes for "quality depth" on this team while the coaches attempt to find some angle to motivate him from. If going from first round draft pick to the end of the bench in two years doesn't elicit a response then I don't think he can be motivated. Some guys find a rookie drafted to take their job to be insulting and take it as a personal challenge. TJ may do that but I doubt it. He'll more than likely just settle into a backup roll and produce a couple of times a year. Just enough to hang on and tease us with what he could do but never enough to justify the spot he was picked at.

jerek
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM

I didn't necessarily mean he was cut--though that still would not surprise me. I just mean I don't expect to see him get much time ... unless of course he does demonstrate a lot of sudden motivation.

Errant Hothy
04-30-2007, 12:26 PM
2011? Damn, maybe a benching will light a fire under him; but then again probably not.

Wolf
04-30-2007, 12:28 PM
For the love of God , someone please find some different kind of medication for TJ.

If they have Weaver,TJ,Okoye,Williams on the line. there shouldn't be any reason TJ can't get freed up and make plays

Texans_Chick
04-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Funny you mention this.

Last year after the Texans loss to the Titans at home, I had to write a Chronic blog post. And I have to tell you, the worst thing about the Chronic blog was having to write stuff after being at a game and seeing a sick loss. (I don't have the time pressure with the AOL blog).

Anyways, after that loss I wanted nothing to do with X's or O's, so I wrote about the Texans as being part of the Star Wars saga (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/12/there_is_no_houston_texans_tim_1.html). (My name is no longer on the posts, but I wrote it).

I predicted today happening in November of last year in a mildly hysterical Texans Message Board post entitled The Worst Case Scenario. Not the exact type of catastrophe that was today, but the general nature of the catastrophe.

Today Darth Vince just done blew up our planet with his Death Star.

Here is the mini-summary of Star Wars stuff for thems that don't follow this stuff. (Spoiler warning for people living under rocks, and pre-apologies to Star Wars guys who might be offended by my oversimplification of stuff).

Anakin Skywalker was exceptionally strong in the Force. He was a good guy, very talented and wanted desperately to be a Jedi Knight. He begged to be a Jedi Knight. He wanted to fight the dark side, but the leadership decided he was not ready. At that point in his training, the Jedis didn't trust him and his powers. So, due to complicated, stupid and kinda lame reasons, (I didn't buy this part of the trilogy at all), Anakin is turned to the dark side of the force by the Emperor, who bares a striking resemblance to Bud Adams.

What I am saying is that we are currently experiencing the first part of Episode IV (otherwise known as the original Star Wars movie). Princess Leia experienced terrible pain when Darth Vader blew up her home planet, but the excruciating pain she feels is nothing like the pain I'm feeling after watching someone who used to use his powers for good, now uses them to do the bidding of the Bud Adams blowing up Reliant Stadium. (right in front of my seats, by the way).

Analogies are kind of lame, and I am desperately trying to find humor in the pain, but I have to say that the best science fiction is rooted in reality, and unfortunately the reality of Texans fans is that there is no time machine. The draft is last spring, and what is done is done.

Winning makes everything better, but if losses were going to happen, fans want to be entertained. Today, nobody wants to hear about the vulcanesque big picture plan for the Texans. Ultimately, we don't know what the careers of the players of the 2006 draft have in store for us, but on this day, the Darth Vince is in control of the Death Star.

Amobi-Wan Okoye, your my only hope.

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM

So who's travis johnson? R2TJ ?

Wolf
04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
so the geek in me comes out

Mace Windu=
Mario Willams?

Specnatz
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
So who's travis johnson? R2TJ ?

More like C3TJ ... a complete stiff and Afraid to get into the action.

Porky
04-30-2007, 01:11 PM
More like C3TJ ... a complete stiff and Afraid to get into the action.

Good one. I just hope all of our new wookies make an impact this season. :whip: :d:

Too bad we got rid of Gary Walker. He would be Gary Skywalker. Oh well. :devilpig:

Twitch-Houston
04-30-2007, 01:18 PM
And JJ Moses could have been JJ Mos Eisley. Too bad. :texflag:

sakebomb
04-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Call him whatever you want but please don't bring your plastic toy light sabers to the stadium. Also, don't get mad when you bring a nerdy Stars Wars sign and people make fun of you.

Mr. White
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

Uh-oh. If PD's been to this page, then Amobi's probably a slayer of rabid attack robots now.

Vinny
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/amobiwan.jpg

Well Herv...your idea has caught on. Just now on 790am they are doing the amobi-wan star wars music and doing the Amobiwan voice overs.

Hervoyel
04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
I bet that was something they came up with all on their own. It's an obvious connection to make and I bet a lot of people came up with that at about the same time we all did.

Still it's cool to hear it and think maybe they looked at the thread or something. You know they didn't but still.

scourge
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
"He capped his college career with a performance in the Senior Bowl that earned him the nickname "Phee" -- for phenom -- from teammates."

Just my opinion, but I think 65,000 folks yelling "PHEE" when he runs out of the tunnel would sound pretty cool.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070426/SPORTS0303/704260595/1224/SPORTS08

I still say this is the best nickname and one he already has... besides, it would indeed sound really cool to hear everyone screaming PHEE after a sack, FF, etc... everyone trying to yell "Amobi Wan Okoye" would sound rather dumb.

Specnatz
04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I still say this is the best nickname and one he already has... besides, it would indeed sound really cool to hear everyone screaming PHEE after a sack, FF, etc... everyone trying to yell "Amobi Wan Okoye" would sound rather dumb.

OK I guess I am dumb or something but what in the world is Phee and what does it have to do with Okoye?

Wolf
04-30-2007, 03:21 PM
they called him PHee for phenom

Kaiser Toro
OK I guess I am dumb or something but what in the world is Phee and what does it have to do with Okoye?

Short for Phenom

Vinny

fwiw, Herv was calling him "the force" as a nickname that makes some sense as a play on his name....he wasn't trying to create a team chant.

I'm kinda out on the FEE chant in any case. It may inspire Uncle Bob to charge more money for his institutional foods in the causeway.

Hervoyel
04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't plan on ever showing up at a Texans game in a Jedi Robe (with numbers on the back no less) waving a toy light sabre and shouting "AMOBI-WAN!!!!" every time the defense is on the field.

That would be dumb. Just to be clear I think everybody shouting "PHEE!" would be just as silly. Now I wouldn't mind hearing the whole stadium shout "MO-BY" when he came out but that's beside the point because I wasn't talking about a chant (as Vinny already pointed out)

I just thought it worked because his name is AMOBI and I spotted the "OBI" in there. I'm a geek so the first thing I do when I spot "OBI" is put a "WAN" with it to get Obi-Wan.

(in Samuel L. Jackson voice) And what does Obi-Wan use? Correctamundo! He uses the force.

Now when you're a defensive lineman being "The Force" is pretty cool. It sounds a little like "The Freak" and it's sort of a chip off of "The Enforcer". The Star Wars connection doesn't even much matter there. Being "The Force" is the ticket in the NFL. Who doesn't want to be "The Force"?

Noblesse Oblige
04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
What about "The E-mail Scammer"

Or not

TexanAddict
04-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Funny you mention this.
Anyways, after that loss I wanted nothing to do with X's or O's, so I wrote about the Texans as being part of the Star Wars saga (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/12/there_is_no_houston_texans_tim_1.html). (My name is no longer on the posts, but I wrote it).

...the Emperor, who bares a striking resemblance to Bud Adams.

Posted this in another thread, but it fits here as well...

http://www.lpfield.com/media/Titans_Bud_Adams.jpg http://thetruthblog.home.comcast.net/Palpatine.jpg

Wolf
04-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't plan on ever showing up at a Texans game in a Jedi Robe (with numbers on the back no less) waving a toy light sabre and shouting "AMOBI-WAN!!!!" every time the defense is on the field.
that would be a sportscenter highligh LMAO ...stupid but funny visual

That would be dumb. Just to be clear I think everybody shouting "PHEE!" would be just as silly. Now I wouldn't mind hearing the whole stadium shout "MO-BY" when he came out but that's beside the point because I wasn't talking about a chant (as Vinny already pointed out) not sure about phee but I think of something else when I hear that

guessone could settle for "duel of fates" as the Texans come out :joker:

I do like "The force"

scourge
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
fwiw, Herv was calling him "the force" as a nickname that makes some sense as a play on his name....he wasn't trying to create a team chant.

I'm kinda out on the FEE chant in any case. It may inspire Uncle Bob to charge more money for his institutional foods in the causeway.

hehe, good point... wouldn't want him to be more like Uncle Drayton. But to be more like him, he'd have to start getting rid of african-american players. :bag:

sure, you say that now.... and Herv, that baby cracks me up, but I prefer him like this

http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/03-03-06-babies/Leningrad.jpg

Koolaid Time
04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
hopefully at 19 he is still growing and can grow a few more inches in height.

if not, well here is to him learning the game :d:

No kidding.....at his age, he could be "Jabba the Hutt" by the time he is 22...
But I believe in the kid.

bayshorebevo
04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
We ought to wait for him to accomplish something before he gets annointed with a title. I hope he grows into a great player.

Twitch-Houston
05-01-2007, 10:03 AM

I don't know, "PHEE" sounds like we are trying to say something else, but have a speech impediment.

The Force definately sounds cooler for a defensive player.

Buffi2
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know, "PHEE" sounds like we are trying to say something else, but have a speech impediment.

:laughjump: I almost spit coffee all over the keyboard on that one. After that, the nickname has to be The Force or the entire stadium will think about speech impediments everytime Omobi-wan is on the field.

I also think that Mario should be Chewey. There is a vague resemblance there.

badboy
05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
What about the Big Amoeba?

76Texan
05-01-2007, 05:27 PM
:laughjump: I almost spit coffee all over the keyboard on that one. After that, the nickname has to be The Force or the entire stadium will think about speech impediments everytime Omobi-wan is on the field.

I also think that Mario should be Chewey. There is a vague resemblance there.

yeah, but to say the word Force, you still have to start with PHEEEE!

infantrycak
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Interesting Okoye tidbits:

Didn't realize the family considered Houston home:

The Okoye family is convinced Amobi landed in the perfect spot. It's a familiar city to his father, Augustine, who received his undergraduate degree at Texas Southern in 1978 and his M.B.A from Prairie View A&M in 1980.

Despite living in Huntsville, Ala., ever since the entire family moved from Nigeria to the United States in 1999, Augustine still calls Houston "my home."

Gotta love this attitude:

"That's one thing I want to do -- I want to keep that in Houston," Amobi said of the rookie award. "Hopefully we can get a chain going as far as defensive rookie of the years. I asked (Ryans) to just mail it to my house.

"I know I can be it. Obviously, DeMeco has the same inner drive and self determination that I've got. That takes you a long way as long as you stay hungry. You can never be satisfied. And that's what I'm doing here. I want to be a team leader. I want to make things happen. I'm here to compete."

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=NotesAndQuotes)

Specnatz
05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Interesting Okoye tidbits:

Didn't realize the family considered Houston home:

Gotta love this attitude:

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=NotesAndQuotes)

Great find.

--Okoye is a player expected to divert attention away from Williams, who had 4 1/2 sacks as a rookie and saw double teams often.

This quote has been discussed and debated on here for a long time, it is good to see someone actually acknowledge that Mario did see some double teams.

Porky
05-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Great find.

This quote has been discussed and debated on here for a long time, it is good to see someone actually acknowledge that Mario did see some double teams.

He was also one on one with a TE more than once, and got pushed around in the times I was paying attention, and really focusing in on him.

badboy
05-08-2007, 02:53 PM
A good QB can beat defensive pressure most of the time and if we do not have the DBs to bust up the pass, it will be a long season. 2-3 sacks a game is a good goal but only costs the offense (usually) yardage. A non defended pass not only gains yards but can put points on board. I support Okoye, but sure wish we had a better #2 CB

real
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
He was also one on one with a TE more than once, and got pushed around in the times I was paying attention, and really focusing in on him.

For some reason those times he got pushed around don't bother me...

I'll assume it was due to hime being a rookie, not using the right leverage, and having a foot injury.

Last week sometime they highlighted Mario, VY's and Jones-Drew rookie seasons on NFL Network, and they showed some plays Mario made that I hadn't noticed watching the game in real time...There was litterally a play where the RB ran to the opposite side Mario was on and he drove the OT down the line of scrimmage, picked him up, and threw him into the RB to make a tackle...I can't remember what team it was against, but it was either the Patriots, Giants, or Jets.....

But he had a bunch of plays that went unnoticed where he absolutely crushed the opposing lineman or TE...

I think once Mario gets comfortable and thinking is at a minimum, he will be able to let loose...

I pretty much have no doubt that he's going to be a beast...

Double Barrel
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I saw a lot of holding on Mario that was not called by the officials. And I mean blatant, jersey-grabbing kind of holding.

He was a rookie with an injury that would sideline a lot of players. Anyone expecting a rookie DE to dominate is out of touch with the reality of the NFL. Same with Okoye in the inside. It takes time to learn the position and how to leverage yourself against veteran offensive linemen. I hope Houston fans have the long-term patience required to see these guys mature into dominant defenders.

infantrycak
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I saw a lot of holding on Mario that was not called by the officials. And I mean blatant, jersey-grabbing kind of holding.

He was definitely getting some rookie treatment from the refs, plus with his toe injury he was much more susceptible to being held as a power rusher rather than a speed rusher.

Maybe he needs to chuck an OT at a ref and tell him to call the game fairly.

badboy
05-08-2007, 03:22 PM
He was definitely getting some rookie treatment from the refs, plus with his toe injury he was much more susceptible to being held as a power rusher rather than a speed rusher.

Maybe he needs to chuck an OT at a ref and tell him to call the game fairly.Aren't body slams allowed when the OT grabs you? It should be.

Porky
05-08-2007, 03:31 PM

He was a rookie with an injury that would sideline a lot of players. Anyone expecting a rookie DE to dominate is out of touch with the reality of the NFL. Same with Okoye in the inside. It takes time to learn the position and how to leverage yourself against veteran offensive linemen. I hope Houston fans have the long-term patience required to see these guys mature into dominant defenders.

Ya, I noticed an extraordinary amount of holding on Mario last year. It was ridicolous the number of times I noticed it. I was really focusing in on Mario last year, so it's hard to say if he got held more than usual, or it was just because I was so focused in on his play.

Second Honeymoon
05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
With Amobi Wan, Travis "Chewy" Johnson, Anthony "Solo" Weaver and Mario Calrissian-Williams all piling in the Maltese Lamborghini hopefully we will see "The Return of the Sack," in the city of Houston.

bonus points for Maltese Lambourghini. As for Amobi-Wan Kenobi, is there any question? It's just so right on so many levels.

Princess Mario: Help me Amobi-Wan Kenobi, your my only hope.

I am sure Van Der Homer will go with something like 'that guy just got Amobi-lized' or something along those lines

You could have 'Get Amobi-vated. Texans 2007' or 'Obey Okoye'

We should probably stay away from any Herman Mellville references though....

Second Honeymoon
05-08-2007, 05:05 PM

agreed. anyone who claimed Mario didn't face double teams must not have been watching the game.

my only problem with Mario was his technique. However, I was surprised about how good of a motor he showed even with a nagging injury.

his problem was when he would get engaged in a block he too often allowed himself to be contained and in some cases 'held'.

hopefully he will draw more Holding calls over time and improve his technique and health status. the addition of Amobi should give him opportunities to stunt from his natural DE position as Amobi develops.

It's now plainly obvious that RS is using the 90's Cowboys template on rebuilding the personnel. Even with losing Peek, we now have a pretty nice stable of very young DL that harkens back to the old Cowboys DLs in the 90s. If you can rotate your DL with quality over the course of the game, it can really keep the guys fresh and pays dividends late in the game.

A LOT of teams would love to have the wealth of talent and potential we have on the DL and to a lesser extent LB....it just hasnt paid big dividends yet...*toasts beer* here is hoping that we start getting those dividends in 2007.

Hervoyel
05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Of course Mario saw some double teams last season. Claiming he didn't see any is just as stupid as saying that he was double teamed all the time. I never understood that all or nothing approach to analysis. It reeks of someone watching a few plays and just making a blanket assumption about everything else that happened.

Sometimes Mario was double teamed and ineffective. At other times he didn't need more than a single defender to make him look ineffective. He did it all on his own. That's what being a rookie is pretty much all about and it's nothing to get excited about. It goes away when experience is added (unless you're being coached by Joe Pendry or Vic Fangio in which case you may never get any better than you are the day you get here).

Specnatz
05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Of course Mario saw some double teams last season. Claiming he didn't see any is just as stupid as saying that he was double teamed all the time. I never understood that all or nothing approach to analysis. It reeks of someone watching a few plays and just making a blanket assumption about everything else that happened.

Sometimes Mario was double teamed and ineffective. At other times he didn't need more than a single defender to make him look ineffective. He did it all on his own. That's what being a rookie is pretty much all about and it's nothing to get excited about. It goes away when experience is added (unless you're being coached by Joe Pendry or Vic Fangio in which case you may never get any better than you are the day you get here).

Sincerely,

Mel Kiper Jr
Draft Guru

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2007, 10:26 AM

To me, many of the times that he was "handled" by a single guy, it really looked like he was thinking and reading too much and not really playing. For me, it looked like he was being given lots of responsibilities and he wasn't always sure what he was supposed to do or how he was supposed to do it.

Hervoyel
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
To me, many of the times that he was "handled" by a single guy, it really looked like he was thinking and reading too much and not really playing. For me, it looked like he was being given lots of responsibilities and he wasn't always sure what he was supposed to do or how he was supposed to do it.

That's pretty much the description of a rookie. It gets better with time so I'm optimistic.

Porky
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
That's pretty much the description of a rookie. It gets better with time so I'm optimistic.

Hopefully that is the case. Last year, he played mechanically, and looked like he was always thinking, instead of playing natural and instinctively. While many rookies, most even, go through a period like that, not all do. I thought Ryans was very natural and instinctive for instance. Let's see what he does this year, and then we can make a better determination as to whether he will be great, good, ok, or a bust. And he better not bust. :bat:

badboy
05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Hopefully that is the case. Last year, he played mechanically, and looked like he was always thinking, instead of playing natural and instinctively. While many rookies, most even, go through a period like that, not all do. I thought Ryans was very natural and instinctive for instance. Let's see what he does this year, and then we can make a better determination as to whether he will be great, good, ok, or a bust. And he better not bust. :bat:
Ryans was playing one position and Mario was playing two.

real
05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Ryans was playing one position and Mario was playing two.

:shades:

Specnatz
05-10-2007, 12:46 PM

:shades:

I think that is part of why we have new defensive coaches. Is there anyone that like watching Mario (as a rookie) being moved all over the line. How can you learn and get acklimented(sp) to the pros while not being able to learn your natural position.