PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones

Silver Oak
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
"I step up to competition," Jones said. "When the competition steps up, I rise. I walked into the East-West game, and the competition got harder, so I stepped up. I changed my routes up, I changed my whole demeanor."

Scouts and NFL teams seem to agree as Jones is shooting up boards with only days until the draft. He is being called "one of the best-kept secrets in the collegiate ranks" by NFL Draft Scout and could be picked as high as the second round. But Jones wasn't always the chic sleeper pick of this year's draft.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/042507aap.html

Ole Miss Texan
04-28-2007, 09:33 PM
what's awesome is that the texans and him talked before the draft. He also really wanted to be a texan and likes the team and staff....It's great to hear a guy that isn't just happy he was picked by team a but happy because he's a Houston Texan!

Lucky
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Some numbers on Jacoby from the combine:

Ht: 6'2.5"
Wt: 210 lbs
Arm: 34.5"
Hand: 8.125"

8.125"? Only 4 WRs at the combine had hands measured under 9".

No WR had a better broad jump than Jones' 10'9" effort.

Jacoby's 10-yard splits (1.65 & 1.67 secs) were among the slowest at the combine, and led to the former track star's average times of 4.53 & 4.64 secs 40 times.

gwallaia
04-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I've never even heard of Lane College.

nunusguy
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Jacoby's 10-yard splits (1.65 & 1.67 secs) were among the slowest at the combine, and led to the former track star's average times of 4.53 & 4.64 secs 40 times.
" He clocked personal bests of 10.28-seconds in the 100 meters and 21.3 in the 200 meters."
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/jones_jacoby
Dang, 10.28 is really fast ! You'd expect a 4.3 or even 4.2, but atleast 4.4 something with that kind of 100 time ?
At any rate those 4.5 & 4.6 40s definitely understand this kids real speed.

Lucky
04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Dang, 10.28 is really fast ! You'd expect a 4.3 or even 4.2, but atleast 4.4 something with that kind of 100 time ?
Those numbers were prior to Jones putting on 20 lbs for his senior season. I also read where Jones had won a conference title with a 10.8 clocking, so I'm wondering how accurate that 10.28 is.

awtysst
04-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Is he a legit wr ir or or a special teams kind of guy?

Hook'er
09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Is he a legit wr ir or or a special teams kind of guy?

Let me tell you, this guy is going to be AWSOME!:texflag:

Leahmic223
09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I actually saw him in the Shrine game because I watched the game and I said to myself. "I hope we can get this guy on day 2 in the draft."

Although at first I thought we reached for him, but so far I think he's proven to be a 1st rounder.

JohnsonFan
09-02-2007, 11:04 PM
jacoby jones - future HOFamer???

DBCooper
09-02-2007, 11:09 PM
jacoby jones - future HOFamer???

Hey JohnsonFan, you should drop McCardell from your banner and add Jacoby.

JohnsonFan
09-02-2007, 11:10 PM
yea i know lol i need to get a new one

gary
09-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I really like the way he splits the opposing D.:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

TheIronDuke
09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
A guy I work with used to hold all the receiving records at Lane College, before Jacoby Jones came along. He told me that the coaches at Lane aren't surprised at Jacoby's success thus far. It'll be fun watching this team grow together.

BTW, Fred Lane,who happened to be my co-worker's best friend, was from Lane College, he had a good couple of years in the NFL before he was killed.

gary
09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
A guy I work with used to hold all the receiving records at Lane College, before Jacoby Jones came along. He told me that the coaches at Lane aren't surprised at Jacoby's success thus far. It'll be fun watching this team grow together.

BTW, Fred Lane,who happened to be my co-worker's best friend, was from Lane College, he had a good couple of years in the NFL before he was killed. What ashame.

Twitch-Houston
09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
BTW, Fred Lane,who happened to be my co-worker's best friend, was from Lane College, he had a good couple of years in the NFL before he was killed.

More like murdered. What a story.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0814/1595869.html

gary
09-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Pretty bad.

Marcus
09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I want Jacoby Jones to create situations where A.J. draws single coverage.

Wouldn't THAT be sweet?

JohnsonFan
09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
all schaub has to do it tell jones is to go on a straight route and he will burn the cb almost every time and TD!! unless the saftey gets him

TexansSeminole
09-03-2007, 04:27 PM
all schaub has to do it tell jones is to go on a straight route and he will burn the cb almost every time and TD!! unless the saftey gets him

Uhhhh...what? I'm optimistic but what are you smoking pal?

Also, you joined Aug 2007 and you already have 654 posts. Jeezus. :user:

JohnsonFan
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
what do u mean, jacoby is so fast i will be surprised if on a hot route straight he doesnt burn the cb, and yea texans are my life!

TexansSeminole
09-03-2007, 06:39 PM
what do u mean, jacoby is so fast i will be surprised if on a hot route straight he doesnt burn the cb, and yea texans are my life!

You would be suprised if on a hot route straight he doesnt burn the CB? Dude, it that worked teams would hire track stars to run straight routes all day and hire QBs who could throw it 70 yards. What is the point in running any route besides a go? I can't tell if your being serious or you are just being a :homer:...which is alright...I am just confused.

I thought you were just being optimistic with some of the things you were saying earlier in the thread but this was just too odd to pass up.

JohnsonFan
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
yea i am being a homer but realistically jacoby is a speed machine and was obliviously not being serious lol

TexansLucky13
09-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Some numbers on Jacoby from the combine:

Ht: 6'2.5"
Wt: 210 lbs
Arm: 34.5"
Hand: 8.125"

8.125"? Only 4 WRs at the combine had hands measured under 9".

No WR had a better broad jump than Jones' 10'9" effort.

How could you have ever doubted Jacoby????

:bat:

jaybird
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
This kid is one of the best pick-ups for the Texans... fast as hell, good hands, and the kid really fires up the team. Before the Cowboys game he was the one pumping the guys up! Which is amazing for a rookie.

I doubt he'll get it, but there will be some talk on him getting the offensive rookie fo the year.

TK_Gamer
09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
The main question with JJ has little to do with him and more to do with Kubiak and company. I get the feeling Kubiak is gonna kinda protect his little treasure and use him like a spark plug to pump up the team and kind of a secret weapon in the slot. I don't think he wants JJ to be the starter at WR2 any time soon. This will help and hurt JJ. It will help him develop more slowly into what he can become as a reciever. It's probably best this way, if he were the starter he would have alot more pressure on him and remember he is still a rookie, no matter how exceptional he may be.

Rex King
09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I think a lot of people, myself included, were duped by the 40 times of the middle-round receivers. Jason Hill supposedly ran 4.3, but doesn't play as fast. JJ's the opposite.

Good points TK. There's also the factor of rookie burnout/hitting the wall, like Daniels said he went through last year.

Noblesse Oblige
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Bills Simmons, The Sports Guy (yes I know he is horrible, but I'm bored and read his article, OK?) says this of Jacoby:

And don't underestimate the positive effects of rookie WR Jacoby Jones (aka, the 2007 Mega-Sleeper Who Isn't a Mega-Sleeper Any More After Last Week's Preseason Game)

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I think a lot of people, myself included, were duped by the 40 times of the middle-round receivers. Jason Hill supposedly ran 4.3, but doesn't play as fast. JJ's the opposite.

Good points TK. There's also the factor of rookie burnout/hitting the wall, like Daniels said he went through last year.

The thing about Jacoby is that he ran slow at the combine. In the 4.5-4.6 range. But his best timed 40 is 4.24, which is INSANELY fast and really closer to what we've seen on the field.

DBCooper
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
The thing about Jacoby is that he ran slow at the combine. In the 4.5-4.6 range. But his best timed 40 is 4.24, which is INSANELY fast and really closer to what we've seen on the field.

Lucky for us, if he had run a 4.24, he may have gone in the late first or early second round.

JohnsonFan
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
we lucked out, and he has proved him self

SheTexan
09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
we lucked out, and he has proved him self

No, he hasn't. Don't get me wrong. I think JJ is great, and will be a definite plus for our team. BUT, I'll wait until he plays against the big guys on a weekly basis, is double teamed like AJ, and has 11 ST guys gunning for him every week, before I say he has proved himself. I love his attitude, what I read about his work ethic, and think eventually he will prove to be a true leader for our team, but, he has a lot to prove yet, IMO. Do I think he is capable of doing it, ABSOLUTELY!!!!

DBCooper
09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
No, he hasn't. Don't get me wrong. I think JJ is great, and will be a definite plus for our team. BUT, I'll wait until he plays against the big guys on a weekly basis, is double teamed like AJ, and has 11 ST guys gunning for him every week, before I say he has proved himself. I love his attitude, what I read about his work ethic, and think eventually he will prove to be a true leader for our team, but, he has a lot to prove yet, IMO. Do I think he is capable of doing it, ABSOLUTELY!!!!

I agree.

"is double teamed like AJ" -- That would be awesome for this offense.

JohnsonFan
09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
he has proved him self a number 2 wideout over walter IMO

MissouriTexan
09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
he has proved him self a number 2 wideout over walter IMO
You know, I never really heard much about Walter except that Kubes wanted him #2. Was that so that JJ had more time to develop, or is Kevin a very solid receiver who we've just failed to discuss much, and we're getting sucked away in JJ hype?

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
You know, I never really heard much about Walter except that Kubes wanted him #2. Was that so that JJ had more time to develop, or is Kevin a very solid receiver who we've just failed to discuss much, and we're getting sucked away in JJ hype?

Kevin's very good. He's a solid possession type of receiver. He's a vet and he knows this playbook. Matt can always trust that he'll be in the right place and he'll normally make the tough catch.

JJ has a lot of talent but he's not a #2 receiver just yet. He's not experienced enough and he probably doesn't really know the playbook well enough, yet. He'll grow into the #2 spot over the course of the season but right now... he's 2.5. In a 3 wide set, with Walter, AJ, and JJ, it's going to be scary for defenses.

But JJ still needs to prove he can do it in the regular season. Just like Matt does.

taxman
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Kevin ran a 4.43 & 4.47 in the 40 at his pro day. Never went to the combine.
Never got new media like Jones. Truth of the matter is, that if you get the new media on your side, they make you better of a player than you really are, and that is a sure way of putting pressure on yourself and taking a dive.

Kubes will be smart in keeping Jones #3 and Walter #2 just of the experience factor, and allow Jones to learn more about the NFL. It takes time. Not everyone is a Jerry Rice, and even he was not a burner, but could get open, and had hands of glue.

powerfuldragon
09-11-2007, 01:50 PM
yea i am being a homer but realistically jacoby is a speed machine and was obliviously not being serious lol
i hope you meant that.

Vinny
09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't know what it matters who starts the game at wr2. I think that Jones came in on 2nd down of the first series and played in most of the packages.

Mr teX
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Kevin ran a 4.43 & 4.47 in the 40 at his pro day. Never went to the combine.
Never got new media like Jones. Truth of the matter is, that if you get the new media on your side, they make you better of a player than you really are, and that is a sure way of putting pressure on yourself and taking a dive.

Kubes will be smart in keeping Jones #3 and Walter #2 just of the experience factor, and allow Jones to learn more about the NFL. It takes time. Not everyone is a Jerry Rice, and even he was not a burner, but could get open, and had hands of glue.

Walter is fine as a number 2. He'd have a TD if Schaub put a little more air under the ball the KC FS knocked away. He can get open b/c he's got good speed & he's a good route runner & he's got pretty good hands. Let JJ do his thing & learn in the slot.

real
09-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I wanted Walter to get that TD really bad...

I like the guy...

TexanAddict
09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Walter is fine as a number 2. He'd have a TD if Schaub put a little more air under the ball the KC FS knocked away. He can get open b/c he's got good speed & he's a good route runner & he's got pretty good hands. Let JJ do his thing & learn in the slot.

I can't fault Schaub for that throw. It was on the money and that defender made a great play on the ball to break it up. I had to give credit to that guy on that play, it was really a great effort.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't fault Schaub for that throw. It was on the money and that defender made a great play on the ball to break it up. I had to give credit to that guy on that play, it was really a great effort.

I agree. That was a nice play by the Chief. If he doesn't make that, it's a TD.

edo783
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Ya know.....sometimes the other guys do earn their paychecks also.

MEGA SWATT
08-16-2008, 11:23 PM
bump

GuerillaBlack
08-16-2008, 11:23 PM
bump

moar fail.

Carr Bombed
08-16-2008, 11:26 PM
yeah one bump was good enough......we don't need every Jones thread bumped.

J-Russ
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/Upload/ban-him.JPG

mods, please bump him from this forum. (zing!)

TexanSam
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM

Hell, I should just bump my JJ thread that I posted about a week and a half ago.

Surprisingly, it was called "Jacoby Jones"

J-Russ
08-16-2008, 11:29 PM

especially one with the same exact titles. Now there like three thread name Jacoby Jones in the first page, and two of them with like 40 something post. Oh the confusion! Someone stop this madman.

MEGA SWATT
08-16-2008, 11:29 PM
moar fail.

Listen you teenage-tool, go be a punk on spurs talk, not here.:voodoo:

MEGA SWATT
08-16-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/Upload/ban-him.JPG

mods, please bump him from this forum. (zing!)

relax, man you're uptight.:ohsnap:

GuerillaBlack
08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Listen you teenage-tool, go be a punk on spurs talk, not here.:voodoo:

teenage-tool?

:spit:

i'm not the only one who thinks this bump was fail.

Brandon420tx
08-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Honestly, this was kind of a punk move.

We already have a more "current" thread where in depth discussion is going on about JJ. No need to disorganize the MB.

MEGA SWATT
08-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Honestly, this was kind of a punk move.

We already have a more "current" thread where in depth discussion is going on about JJ. No need to disorganize the MB.

Relax, if you stop replying to it

it will float right the heck back where it was.

It's kind of a punk move to keep bumping it with your magnificent comments.

Hey, if you want to ban me for 2 bumps, ban me.

If you can't ban me, then stifle and let this thread float out to sea.

Brandon420tx
08-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Lol no, I don't want to see you banned, and I know good well that it will float back down to the second page by tomorrow evening.

But really, it did upset me a little to see these threads bumped. Not because I'm a fan of JJ, but because it makes it look like a personal attack on a Texans player that hasn't been seen since the Mr. Mittons Experiment ... year 2... although, that was deserved ... but still annoying.

Do you get why I'm sad now? You just made me compare JJ to Ocho-Stinko.