PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland steals the draft

DerekLee1
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Cleveland just destroyed everyone else in this draft. Cripes - Joe Thomas AND Brady Quinn?!?

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, Cleveland did a real good job in the draft. That was an amazing first round for them.

YellerLotYeller
04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Too bad they gave Dallas a top 5 pick for next year....:gun:

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
So the Browns next year...

QB - Brady Quinn
RB - Jamal Lewis
LT - Joe Thomas
TE - Kellen Winslow
WR - Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurevicius

Yikes.

Errant Hothy
04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't agree.

According to the chart the value to trade from 22 to the 4th pick in the second is a mid-third this year; and Dallas got next year's first for it. Pretty good deal for Dallas if you ask me.

hot pickle
04-28-2007, 03:59 PM
very good deal for dallas

Fiddy
04-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Dallas robbed Cleveland.

ledzeppelin229
04-28-2007, 04:19 PM
If Cleveland still has a top 10 pick, then it will look pretty bad. But they did manage to get ideally cornerstone players at LT and QB.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2007, 04:24 PM
If Cleveland goes .500 and, then it wouldn't look so bad. Who knows how great Dallas will be this year. They only won 9 game slast year.

RTP2110
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Looks like a good deal now, but Dallas made out good on it too. Quinn better be the QB they hope he can be or CLE is screwed.

Runner
04-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Much like Schaub can be viewed as this year's second round pick for the Texans, Quinn is Cleveland's first pick for next year. They get him a year early and can start working with him. It remains to be seen how good he will be.

Double Barrel
04-28-2007, 08:01 PM
It was a good deal for both teams, IMO.

mexican_texan
04-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Too bad they gave Dallas a top 5 pick for next year....:gun:
Two words:

Cap hell.

The Browns can't handle another high pick.

texasguy346
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
If Cleveland ends up with a top 5 pick next year it will be a good deal for the Cowboys. It's a strange move because they probably could've grabbed a guy like Beck or Stanton in round two. If Romeo is on the hot seat this year then you'd have to think he's not wanting to start a rookie QB. Quinn might be groomed by another coach come this time next year if the Browns play poorly.

Hagar
04-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Cleveland has made some interesting acquisitions this off season.

Jamal Lewis RB
Kenny Wright CB
Antwan Peek DE
Eric Steinbach G
Hank Fraley C
Mike Adams S
Nat Dorsey T
Seth McKinney C
Robaire Smith DE
Tim Carter WR (Trade for R. Droughns)

Granted most of these guyes aren't great players, but its obvious that the FO is trying to sweep away the old players who didn't produce and bring in some fresh faces. At the very least, the Browns should be tougher then they were last year.

SheTexan
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I wonder if ALL of Cleveland was ready to kill their owner and GM for taking Joe Thomas over BQ with their first pick! They lucked out and got their "local" boy anyway!!

Truthfully, I think BQ was more surprised Miami didn't take him than he was Cleveland. He was stunned!

TexanSam
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
If Cleveland ends up with a top 5 pick next year it will be a good deal for the Cowboys. It's a strange move because they probably could've grabbed a guy like Beck or Stanton in round two. If Romeo is on the hot seat this year then you'd have to think he's not wanting to start a rookie QB. Quinn might be groomed by another coach come this time next year if the Browns play poorly.

The thing is, who else do the Browns have to start? Charlie Frye? I don't see any other option besides Brady Quinn.

HoustonFrog
04-28-2007, 11:10 PM
very good deal for dallas

Incredible deal. Dallas moved down, got a 1st next year and other picks and then moved back up with some of the picks and got their guy. Then they got many of those picks back in the 2nd round deal and got a T. I just thought Cle gave D alot of momentum. Cle looks good on paper with the picks but they gave up alot and it is make or break for them. Cle overall set themselves up if Quinn comes through.

Heck if anyone had a good draft, NE got over on people again and got another #1 next year at the bottom of the draft. They can take shots at talented but soso character guys. They have a system and team that can fix guys like that. I also like what SF did despite giving up too much for Staley.

michaelm
04-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Two words:

Cap hell.

The Browns can't handle another high pick.

Well, the fact that they won't have to pay a first round draft choice next year kinda negates that, don't you think?

Vinny
04-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, the fact that they won't have to pay a first round draft choice next year kinda negates that, don't you think?it won't hurt them a bit...if they didn't move up for Quinn, someone else who was looking for a starter would have moved up. I think they made a great move to draft the best LT in the draft and bring in the local kid when their quarterbacking and their LT play has been brutal for years. I wasn't high on Stanton or Beck.

Specnatz
04-29-2007, 04:49 PM
it won't hurt them a bit...if they didn't move up for Quinn, someone else who was looking for a starter would have moved up. I think they made a great move to draft the best LT in the draft and bring in the local kid when their quarterbacking and their LT play has been brutal for years. I wasn't high on Stanton or Beck.

I could not agree more. OK so they had to give up something to get something. Plus I think there were other teams looking at moving up to get BQ and so Cleveland had to pay a little steeper price than some might think. I like it personnally.

jgl35
04-29-2007, 10:25 PM
And with Clev. pick at 36, the Eagles take Kolb. If Miami takes B.Q., none of this might happen. Funny how what one team does or dosen't do effects so many others.

JustBonee
04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Wondering ... why didn't we call the Browns @ pick 10 if we wanted to move down? ...

Maybe it was too soon... but it worked for Jerry Jones ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/2007-04-29-war-room-cover_N.htm?csp=15

Honoring Earl 34
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I could not agree more. OK so they had to give up something to get something. Plus I think there were other teams looking at moving up to get BQ and so Cleveland had to pay a little steeper price than some might think. I like it personnally.

The only way it hurts them is if Quinn is a bust .

Koolaid Time
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM

What was the bad rap on Quinn anyway? I haven't seen someone's stock drop that fast since Enron...

Wunderlick?
Dope?
Skeletons in the closet?

Honoring Earl 34
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
What was the bad rap on Quinn anyway? I haven't seen someone's stock drop that fast since Enron...

Wunderlick?
Dope?
Skeletons in the closet?

I think it was his accuracy and his play in big games .

Maddict5
04-30-2007, 08:56 PM

see this is why i think it was such a good deal for the browns eventhough they overpaid some according to the value chart (which they didnt in reality considering the circumstances imo)

by taking quinn @#22 it means they have a guy who many think will be a franchise qb but if it goes south with him like it did with couch etc they wont be in cap hell like they would've been if they had taken a top 5 qb in next year's draft... so imo it was an excellent trade for both teams...they basically swapped 1st's (#22 for #10-20 ime (estimation)) and the 2nd was the incentive for dallas to trade aswell as for the price for the opportunity to get a franchise prospect at a reduced price and risk

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
It does seem like a lot for them to give up. But at the same time, If joe thomas wasnt there and they couldn't trade down...it seems as though they would take Quinn at 3 anyways.

So while they did give dallas a lot to get him....they essentially got two #3 picks this year...two guys they coveted as probably top 5 on their board.

Think if they select at 8 next year....they give up a 2nd rounder to move up to top 5 and select quinn. it's essentially the same thing but get quinn this year....next year it could be brohm.....but they get their qb a year early.

This could work out for both teams. One thing is for sure and Dallas got a great deal. There doesnt always have to be a winner and loser like everyone tries to find....the key to negotiation is making both parties feel like they walk away winners...and i think they did.

texasguy346
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Wondering ... why didn't we call the Browns @ pick 10 if we wanted to move down? ...

Maybe it was too soon... but it worked for Jerry Jones ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/2007-04-29-war-room-cover_N.htm?csp=15

From what I heard the Browns began calling every GM after Miami passed on Quinn trying to move back up to grab him. I'm guessing Cleveland had a set price they were willing to pay to move up, and Houston didn't feel it was good enough to make the deal. That would also seem to mean that every team from 10 - 21 passed on the deal as well.

mexican_texan
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, the fact that they won't have to pay a first round draft choice next year kinda negates that, don't you think?
What are you arguing? I'm saying that the trade helps out their cap situation.

Specnatz
05-01-2007, 10:14 AM

The Texans would have been put out of the first round, so why would they take the offer. You think the organization is berated by Kiper now, he would have just gone balistic. (not that I care)

JustBonee
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
The Texans would have been put out of the first round, so why would they take the offer. You think the organization is berated by Kiper now, he would have just gone balistic. (not that I care)

Kiper needs to worry about other things ... like getting a new 'do' ..

Texan_Bill
05-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Wunderlick?
Dope?
Skeletons in the closet?

Date ----Opp.-----Result-----Comp / Att.-----%-----Yards-----TD/INTs
9/16----Mich.----L 47-21-----24 of 48-----50.0%-----234-----3/3
11/25---USC-----L 44-24-----22 of 45-----48.9%-----274-----3/0
Suga----LSU-----L 41-14-----15 of 35-----42.9%-----148-----2/2
Bowl

3 Big games - 3 losses and in the biggest game of the season, 15 of 35 and 148 yards wont cut it, especially for a one time Heisman candidate.