PDA

View Full Version : Have we looked at Jason David?

gtexan02
04-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Colts CB, age 24
8 ints in 3 years
starter for superbowl champions
Indy only signed him to the lowest tender (850,000)

Why aren't we look at him?

The compensation is low, and we'd be stealing another starter away from the Indy secondary. That'd make 3 they'd hav elost

Lucky
04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Jason David signed an offer sheet (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm) with the Saints.

DAVID OFFER SHEET WORTH $15.6 MILLION
An industry source tells us that the offer sheet signed on Thursday by Colts cornerback Jason David with the Saints is worth $15.6 million over four years. (The numbers were previously reported by Adam Schefter of NFL Network.)
The kicker is that the deal pays out $6.5 million in year one with a cap charge of $5.25 million, making it virtually impossible for the cap-strapped Colts to match it.
But the deal contains no poison pill, which likely means that the device that the NFL tried to get the NFLPA to take out of the CBA was used by not one team in crafting a 2007 offer sheet.
Hey, why should the NFLPA care? They've got agent regulations that they're diligently enforcing on an inconsistent basis.
Why didn't the Texans go after David? Two words. Salary cap.

gtexan02
04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Smart move by the Saints

jlam
04-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Word is that the Colts have a week from the day the offer sheet was signed to match. If I were you guys, I would be hoping that Indy declines to match, and thus losing both of their starting corners from last year (Nick Harper UFA signed by Tennessee). I'm sure they have some depth at that postion, but nonetheless, losing your two top CBs plus Cato June, plus Doss can't help the defense.

There are conflicting opinions on wheter Indy will even be able to match. The Colts don't have much cap space at all, and the deal is said to be pretty frontloaded (high cap number in year one) making it that much harder for them to match it while simultaneously lowering his cap hit over the next few years for us.

I really like this move and have no problem with giving up a 4th rounder for David. It certainly keeps us from having to lock in on a certain position in the draft now and gives us more flexibility to address other weak points (like DT).

jlam
04-20-2007, 04:22 PM
On another note, I'm glad we didn't use the poison pill. I know it's business, but it just seems cheap and underhanded to me. I guess I'm not a businessperson, but I just don't like it.

jlam
04-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, word is now that Indy will likely decline to match as reported on the Saints board.

• Colts refuse to be cornered: The early read is that the Indianapolis Colts, who don't have to make a decision on Jason David until late next Friday, will not match the four-year offer sheet the starting cornerback signed with the New Orleans Saints on Thursday afternoon. The deal is worth $16.5 million and is severely frontloaded, with $6.5 million in compensation in the first year and a 2007 salary cap charge of $5.5 million. All those numbers would be tough swallow for the Colts, who made David a one-year qualifying offer at the lowest level, $850,000, to retain a right of first refusal on him. [/b]

For a link to this article, click here: ESPN.com (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2844100)