PDA

View Full Version : GM Reese Had Reasons For Minimal FA Activity

Kaiser Toro
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_GIANTS_REESE?SITE=MALOW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

snippet:
The New York Giants didn't get overly involved in free agency in recent months because the market was overpriced.

"The money was out of control," new general manager Jerry Reese said Thursday at the Giants' annual predraft news conference.

Players some people would consider marginal performers got astronomical amounts, he added.

"We didn't feel like we were going to do that. We didn't feel like it was smart for us to do that."

Instead, Reese went for value in trying to improve the Giants, who got into the playoffs despite an 8-8 record.

Mr. White
04-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't expect him to last very long with that mentality. TV money just increased and the FA prices increased as a result.

I think Giants fans will look back on the Reese years like we look back on the Casserly years.

gtexan02
04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_GIANTS_REESE?SITE=MALOW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

snippet:
The New York Giants didn't get overly involved in free agency in recent months because the market was overpriced.

"The money was out of control," new general manager Jerry Reese said Thursday at the Giants' annual predraft news conference.

Players some people would consider marginal performers got astronomical amounts, he added.

"We didn't feel like we were going to do that. We didn't feel like it was smart for us to do that."

Instead, Reese went for value in trying to improve the Giants, who got into the playoffs despite an 8-8 record.

That strategy makes perfect sense if you dont have a lot of needs or if you can fill your holes through the draft.

And normally I'd say a playoff team would fit those criteria.

BUT the Giants lost all of their offensive tackles (I think), they lost their starting RB, and their star DE is aging fast.

They have a lot of holes and plugged none of them