PDA

View Full Version : Schaub happy in new home

Double Barrel
04-19-2007, 01:51 PM
RATCLIFFE: Schaub happy in new home

There are a lot of new things in Matt Schaub’s life: a new house in a new city, a new fiancé, and most importantly in terms of his profession, a new beginning as a starting NFL quarterback.

It has been nearly a month since the Atlanta Falcons traded Schaub to the Houston Texans, netting him a six-year deal worth $48 million. In return for that price tag, he will replace veteran David Carr as the starter and automatically become the face of the franchise.

No wonder Schaub was beaming when he showed up in the press box at Scott Stadium last Saturday to watch Virginia’s Spring Game. His girlfriend, Laurie, whom he met while in Atlanta, accompanied him.

----------------------------------

The right man for the job

The trio of coaches convinced the two-year Houston head coach that Schaub could become a consistent winner in the NFL. So, once Kubiak was convinced that Schaub was the right man for the Texans, the coach had to convince Schaub that the Texans were the right fit for him.

The coach flew to Newport Beach, Calif., to play a round of golf with Schaub, who was in a charity tournament there for his agent, Job Branion of Athletes First.

“When Coach Kubiak came out to play golf, I stayed an extra day just to get a feel for one another and to develop that coach and quarterback bond,” Schaub said during halftime of the UVa Spring Game. “I realized it was such a good fit, which allowed us to get the deal done in like 24 hours.”

Schaub really liked what he saw in his new coach and embraced the opportunity to learn from him.

“[Kubiak’s] a young, energetic coach, and what stands out about him is that he played quarterback at this level,” Schaub said. “He played for Denver, backing up [John] Elway all those years and then coached in the same system as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator.”

Because Denver’s and Houston’s systems are similar to what Schaub ran in Atlanta and even at Virginia, and since the terminology isn’t that different, it should be a smooth transition.

Speaking of which, Schaub stepped up into a leadership role immediately with the franchise, calling every Texans teammate that he could get a number for the first weekend he signed with the team.

“I just wanted to develop a relationship with my teammates,” he said. “That goes above and beyond the X’s and O’s and the game planning. You have to have that chemistry with your teammates, because that goes further than any passes or any statistics. That’s the heart and core of the game of football.”

In Houston, Schaub has been reunited with former Wahoo teammate Wali Lundy, one of the team’s running backs. With returning Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson and newly acquired running back Ahman Green, the Texans suddenly made strides as a more dangerous offense.

Because he played mostly in preseason games and either mop-up duty or when Vick was injured, Schaub provides Houston with a seasoned veteran without the three years of lumps and bruises.

“I look at it as if I gained three years on the end of my career because I haven’t been beaten up,” Schaub chuckled. “It was very valuable to be in Atlanta behind Michael Vick and learn how the league works, how to prepare for games, how to deal with media, how to game plan, watching films. It was a chance to sit back and learn, but at the same time getting a chance to play.”

Then there’s the situation of signing a $48 million contract ($7 million of which is guaranteed), certainly more money than Schaub dreamed of when he was battling for a starting role as Virginia’s quarterback five years ago.

“In this day and age, when you see some of these contracts written, it does make your heart stop for a second,” he said. “But you’ve still got to go out and play and produce on the field. I’m finally looking forward to getting to play some ball.”

So, did he go out and do anything crazy with some of his new, staggering wealth?

“No, I’ve made two purchases,” Schaub said. “I got a house and I just got engaged (sorry girls), so I purchased an engagement ring the other day.”

Without a doubt though, Schaub said he has sensed the excitement of building a potentially winning football team in Houston, where the Texans (6-10 last season) have suffered through five straight losing campaigns during their short existence.

“Houston is a football town and Texas is a football state,” Schaub said. “They’re thirsty for a winning organization. It’s year-round down there. They love their football.”

No doubt that before too long, they’ll fall in love with Matt Schaub, too.

Source / Rest of story (http://www.dailyprogress.com:80/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP%2FMGArticle%2FCDP_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350813420&path=!sports) :texflag:

gtexan02
04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Woohoo, my local newspaper is cited!

Im a little disapointed with the engagement. I was hoping he'd be non-famliy 100% football. This can't be good for film study time. he better hurry up and take his honeymoon before training camp starts
:eek:
:)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-19-2007, 01:56 PM
A very refreshing verticle. Thanks for posting it.

Errant Hothy
04-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Good find, was a lillte surprised to see that even teh terminlogy/vocab was even a littlel similar to Schaub. Man I can't what for training camp. Think we'll see any ladders?

Double Barrel
04-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Im a little disapointed with the engagement. I was hoping he'd be non-famliy 100% football. This can't be good for film study time. he better hurry up and take his honeymoon before training camp starts

If she knows which side her bread it buttered on, I'd hope that she lets him be an NFL QB and do everything that he'll need to do to be a good one.

Don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg and all that jazz! :howdy:

I really like this quote, because he clearly recognizes off-season chemistry as a very important factor in building a solid team:

"You have to have that chemistry with your teammates, because that goes further than any passes or any statistics. That’s the heart and core of the game of football.”

:friends: + :throwball: = :trophy:

Texans_Chick
04-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Ha. Lots of NFL players with wives and families.

Flipside is that he won't be having to spend time trying to find booty. One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.

Nice article

gtexan02
04-19-2007, 02:59 PM

Flipside is that he won't be having to spend time trying to find booty. One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.

Nice article

Haha too true too true.
I have all the faith in Schaub at this point. Wahoos and Texans!

Vinny
04-19-2007, 03:09 PM
One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.
she had a good wonder lick score

jerek
04-19-2007, 03:09 PM

I don't know if you're serious, but I'm sure someone out there will adopt this line and run with it. Next thing you know, Schaub is leaving practice an hour early every day to go play with his as yet unborn kids, or his collie even.

Personally, I'd rather my football players be dedicated to their wives and children, rather than out at the club every night drinking, toking and having promiscuous sex with money grubbing hoochies. Or racing their Lamborghinis on dark freeways. I know the former is just not that common in the world of elite professional sports, but it sure strikes me as being healthier and more conducive toward playing an undistracted game, in the long run.

jerek
04-19-2007, 03:12 PM
One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.

I was wondering if any one else had that same thought :)

Double Barrel
04-19-2007, 03:45 PM

I didn't see that part of the video... :um:

Specnatz
04-19-2007, 03:57 PM

I didn't see that part of the video... :um:

Damn. :yikes:

texasguy346
04-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Damn your one liner is better than mine. I've got nothing to add to this thread now.

Texans_Chick
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Damn your one liner is better than mine. I've got nothing to add to this thread now.

The thread might be Exhibit B of why we need football season to start. Or at least training camp news.

When there is nothing to talk about, peeps gotta say something.

Or do a chicken dance. :chicken:

Errant Hothy
04-19-2007, 05:09 PM
The thread might be Exhibit B of why we need football season to start. Or at least training camp news.

When there is nothing to talk about, peeps gotta say something.

Or do a chicken dance. :chicken:

Forget the season or training camps, the draft is a week and a day and some change away....thank g_d!

Althought the wonder lick line was classic...rack'em.:vinny:

Bradster592
04-19-2007, 05:32 PM
:chicken:

PapaL
04-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Nice article

You know, I thought that. Even started to write it. Then decided against it and didn't bother posting.

OzzO
04-19-2007, 09:30 PM
DB, thanks for the find during a slow NFL time. It's kinda like the quiet before the storm. I sure hope Schaub backs up this quality talk with quality play. I'm sure our FO did their research to make a move like this though. (Thankfully before other teams discovered the QB pickings are low this year.)

A very refreshing verticle. Thanks for posting it.

As opposed to the typical horizontal we've seen the past 5 years. :shades:

Just messin'.

2BCF
04-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't know if you're serious, but I'm sure someone out there will adopt this line and run with it. Next thing you know, Schaub is leaving practice an hour early every day to go play with his as yet unborn kids, or his collie even.

Personally, I'd rather my football players be dedicated to their wives and children, rather than out at the club every night drinking, toking and having promiscuous sex with money grubbing hoochies.

Hey, don't go knocking my hobbies.

Stampede
04-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the article DB. I think that this is really gonna be a fun year. :splits:

JustBonee
04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
"There are a lot of new things in Matt Schaub’s life: a new house in a new city, a new fiancé, and most importantly in terms of his profession, a new beginning as a starting NFL quarterback."

Maybe that was Bob McNair's idea.
Just kidding!

hadaad
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me you're kidding.

gtexan02
04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Yes it was meant to be a joke regarding David Carr's constant criticism for being too much of a "family man"

While I do hope that Schaub continues his long hours in the film room and bonding with teammates, I don't for a second think that hving a family preempts you from being a good football player

hadaad
04-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes it was meant to be a joke regarding David Carr's constant criticism for being too much of a "family man"

While I do hope that Schaub continues his long hours in the film room and bonding with teammates, I don't for a second think that hving a family preempts you from being a good football player

Okay. Good. Cuz it was funny, I just couldn't tell if I was laughing with you or laughing at you. :joker:

Malloy
04-20-2007, 11:28 AM

heehaaw! :)

nedthehead
04-22-2007, 09:59 AM
What a tremendous waste of money this guy is gonna be. The problem with this team is on the o-line. Oh, well at least he doesn't have to rot behind Ron Mexico. Some players who look good as backups fail as starters for some reason. Hopefully Shaub is not like this.

nedthehead
04-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Texans would have been better off with Garcia at QB. Better QB and no women problems.:whip:

SheTexan
04-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Texans would have been better off with Garcia at QB. Better QB and no women problems.:whip:

If I remember correctly Garcia had his own set of "gal" problems.

Personally, I was hoping he would follow in the footsteps of Troy Aikman, Steve Young, and probably Tom Brady and Big Ben, and stay single until after his NFL career is over. If your getting paid MILLIONS to play a game, you better be ready to eat, sleep, breath, and be 100% committed to a game which you will be in for a short number of years anyway. JMO!!

Maybe I'll get busy and look up the number of single vs married QBs who have taken their teams to the SB. Might be a FUN stat to lookup during this boring off season.:user:

:texflag:

Honoring Earl 34
04-22-2007, 12:40 PM
If I remember correctly Garcia had his own set of "gal" problems.

Personally, I was hoping he would follow in the footsteps of Troy Aikman, Steve Young, and probably Tom Brady and Big Ben, and stay single until after his NFL career is over. If your getting paid MILLIONS to play a game, you better be ready to eat, sleep, breath, and be 100% committed to a game which you will be in for a short number of years anyway. JMO!!

Maybe I'll get busy and look up the number of single vs married QBs who have taken their teams to the SB. Might be a FUN stat to lookup during this boring off season.:user:

Namath .... ha ... I think he got married in his 40's .
Bradshaw ... married JoJo Starbuck ... divorced shortly after .
Staubach ... I think married but was older from the Navy .
Stabler ... I doubt it ... for long anyhow .
Griese ... yep .
Thiesman ... yes but after 3 kids traded her in for Cathy Lee Crosby .
Elway ... married a swimmer from Stanford ... divorced after he retired .
Marino ... yes ... I think it was his college sweetheart .
Kelly ... yes later on .
Montana ... yes traded her in for the Schick girl once he was famous .
Moon ... we know this one ... yes .
Young ... married at the end of his carrer .
Aikman ... later in his career .
Favre ... yep ... may have saved his life by telling him if he did'nt go to rehab she was gone .
Manning ... married in the last year or two .
Brady ... making baby's like Steve Garvey but not married .

The point is'nt if your married or not in my opinion . The point is ... as an individual ... how much time are you willing to spend and does your spouse understand it . If she does'nt ... then what .

It's no different than a business who travels often . His wife new these were going to be the parameters of the job and it pays well .

So at the end of the day it's more about do you have a driver or an amiable ... you better hope your QB is a driver .

Amiables instinctively home in on two things: people and comfort. They are superb at building and maintaining relationships because they make people feel comfortable. Flip side – they can focus on the people issues to the exclusion of the business. While most people are quickly drawn to Amiables, they don’t necessarily buy from them. Your job as coach is to teach them how taking care of the business is taking care of the people, how to ask for the business, and how to deal with objections.

SheTexan
04-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, I truly wish him well and lots of happiness!!! If a wife is what he needs to keep him off the streets (pun intended here:) ) then so be it!

Ole Miss Texan
04-22-2007, 02:00 PM
What a tremendous waste of money this guy is gonna be. The problem with this team is on the o-line. Oh, well at least he doesn't have to rot behind Ron Mexico. Some players who look good as backups fail as starters for some reason. Hopefully Shaub is not like this.

Yea so were you pro Reggie or pro vince last year....seems every 'expert' that disses us has a rookie qb playing behind our pathetic oline or a rookie rb playing behind our pathetic oline.

"Without a doubt though, Schaub said he has sensed the excitement of building a potentially winning football team in Houston"

This is one part of the article that kind of troubled me. I think you should use the word potential when referring to championship games and superbowls. (or just perennial playoff contenders)....but saying potentially winning....it's just a slap in the face (that we havn't had one in 5 years).

I think we'll easily have a winning football team...i'm looking forward to having a playoff contender year in and year out. Schaubie's the guy that's going to take us there ->he's going to be a stud.

TexFromBehind
04-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Anyone know where this guy lives?

SheTexan
04-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Maybe Mario sold him his OLD house!!!!!:laughjump:

Lucky
04-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Montana ... yes traded her in for the Schick girl once he was famous .

And he traded the Schick girl for his current wife. Talked to her a Superbowl party here in Houston. Very nice. :ok:

DiapHer
04-23-2007, 08:49 AM

Why?

Ole Miss Texan
04-23-2007, 11:14 AM
And he traded the Schick girl for his current wife.

Why?

LOL, jK

nedthehead
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Yea so were you pro Reggie or pro vince last year....seems every 'expert' that disses us has a rookie qb playing behind our pathetic oline or a rookie rb playing behind our pathetic oline.

"Without a doubt though, Schaub said he has sensed the excitement of building a potentially winning football team in Houston"

This is one part of the article that kind of troubled me. I think you should use the word potential when referring to championship games and superbowls. (or just perennial playoff contenders)....but saying potentially winning....it's just a slap in the face (that we havn't had one in 5 years).

I think we'll easily have a winning football team...i'm looking forward to having a playoff contender year in and year out. Schaubie's the guy that's going to take us there ->he's going to be a stud.

Facts are facts. Good football teams have to be at least solid in the trenches to have a chance to win consistently. This is why most great QBs give many kudos to their offensive line. Dont take it personal. I don't diss. I tell the truth.

badboy
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Nice articleExactly, Steph. I mean why in the world should she be screaming in terror to slow down from100mph +? When I drive my boat at those speeds, I don't want anyone saying anything to distract me. 'course better looking is always a plan.

Ole Miss Texan
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Facts are facts. Good football teams have to be at least solid in the trenches to have a chance to win consistently. This is why most great QBs give many kudos to their offensive line. Dont take it personal. I don't diss. I tell the truth.

Oh I definitly agree with you. I just mean that a rookie qb or a rookie rb as in vince or reggie last year "could have done wonders" behind our o-line.

Not the case. no matter who is back there, we need a better o-line. i'm glad schaub has had 3 years of 'experience' with out getting killed..lol

Boy I sure hope Spencer comes back 100%, that will really change the face of our offense- whether he's in or not... imo

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Glad that Schaub is starting to like it here.