PDA

View Full Version : Casserly and Mcnair: I would do it the same way all over again.

Porky
04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Casserly says critism is like getting wet. Once it rains, what's another drop. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/sports/football/18texans.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)

The good news in the article is that Mac promises not to take out another full page ad in the Chronicle. Nice to see some pub in the NY Times though.

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Hell, nice to see the NY Times say we had a good draft.

Lost in the quick-take analysis was that the Texans had a good draft. Williams, despite a foot injury, finished with four and a half sacks. The second-round pick, linebacker DeMeco Ryans, was the N.F.L.’s defensive rookie of the year. Wali Lundy, a rookie running back, started for much of the season.

Too bad Owen got no love.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Casserly says critism is like getting wet. Once it rains, what's another drop. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/sports/football/18texans.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)

The good news in the article is that Mac promises not to take out another full page ad in the Chronicle. Nice to see some pub in the NY Times though.

If Mac wanted to make a difference with advertisements, he needed to do that when VY declared and not right before the draft. Before Carr's contract was re-upped.

Hell, I could have written a better ad for him than the junk he eventually used. You do an advertisement early, you are trying to make a difference. You do an advertisement after it is too late to make that a sensible choice, well then, you're just an attention ho.

After the Texans-Titans game, I walked up the stairs behind Mac and VY's mom who were sitting together in the middle of my section. bleh.

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I could give a rat's arse about McIngvale's opinions, any more than I care about anyone else's perspective that is colored by blind allegiance to a school. I thought his full page ad was more arrogance than anything else, but that's just me and everyone is free to disagree (as one of his repeat customers, I do not feel out of line to say these things, either).

I've got no problem with our draft, and hindsight is always 20/20. It is good to see some national spin in a positive direction towards our team, though.

Honoring Earl 34
04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
So TC ... write your Mattress Mac ad on letting Carr go FA.

Gallery Furniture says get rid of that old couch and QB .

Today at Gallery ... with your good credit you can buy a sectional to watch the Texans new QB , Vince Young .

To see Vince clearly you'll need a new plasma big screen TV ... that's right see Vince the hometown hero with your new living room ... and by cutting ways with Carr ... we will have an annual Vince sale which will SAVE YOU MONEY !!!

False Start
04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
It is nice to see the Texans getting some national run . Mattress Mac has always annoyed me for some reason .

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I could give a rat's arse about McIngvale's opinions, any more than I care about anyone else's perspective that is colored by blind allegiance to a school. I thought his full page ad was more arrogance than anything else, but that's just me and everyone is free to disagree (as one of his repeat customers, I do not feel out of line to say these things, either).

I've got no problem with our draft, and hindsight is always 20/20. It is good to see some national spin in a positive direction towards our team, though.

I agree.. Besides, I thought he went to North Texas? I guess I had that wrong. However, I do have respect for Mac as it relates to things he does in and around our community as a whole, but that ad did smack of arrogance.

Porky
04-18-2007, 01:25 PM
One thing about Mac is that everything he does is calculated to improve the size of his wallet and nothing else. He couldn't give two bits about charity unless it benefits him somehow. I used to work for a competitor and some of the things this guy did (as related to me by some former workers of his) would make many of you think twice about doing business with this guy. I personally can't stand him, and I wouldn't buy bottled water from him if I were stuck in the Mojave desert.

aj.
04-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I agree.. Besides, I thought he went to North Texas? I guess I had that wrong..

No, you had it right. Mac is Mean Green in more ways than one.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
No, you had it right. Mac is Mean Green in more ways than one.

Than I expect that Mac will take a full page out on this guy from his school:

Thursday, February 22, 2007
Small School All-Star Performances
Here are some notable small school players that were invited and/ or played in recent College All-Star games.

Dylan Lineberry is a 6-3 310 pound offensive guard from North Texas, and was a man among boys, he earned first team all-Sun Belt Conference honors after grading out as the team’s top offensive lineman in 10 of the 11 games last year. Lineberry started all 11 games at right guard and was an Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award candidate last year.

http://nfl-prospects.blogspot.com/

nunusguy
04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
The Texans have admitted what many here already knew a year ago, which was the real mistake was retaining Carr which also effectively made VY and the other QBs irrelavant.
And as far as Bush vs. Mario, sometimes I think most of the NFLs football fans are dominated by Fantasy Leaguers who can't comphrehend the idea of taking any defensive player ahead of a high-scoring offensive weapon like Bush. Instead of being the consensus #2 best player in the Draft right behind Bush, you'd have thought the Texans were reaching for a total unknown who wasn't even rated on most teams top 50 Board by the outcry from many fans.
The Texans first round choice was sound - in theory. Now "THIS YEAR" Mario has got to deliver on the field to validate that theory.

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Than I expect that Mac will take a full page out on this guy from his school:

Thursday, February 22, 2007
Small School All-Star Performances
Here are some notable small school players that were invited and/ or played in recent College All-Star games.

Dylan Lineberry is a 6-3 310 pound offensive guard from North Texas, and was a man among boys, he earned first team all-Sun Belt Conference honors after grading out as the team’s top offensive lineman in 10 of the 11 games last year. Lineberry started all 11 games at right guard and was an Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award candidate last year.

http://nfl-prospects.blogspot.com/

I hope Mac refrains from that, but I'll give him some credit. He treathened to withdraw his latest donation ofter the university went back on it's word to name teh new athletic building after former coach Daryl Dickey, who has cancer I beleive. UNT kept the money and it's word.

:hothboy:

ledzeppelin229
04-18-2007, 02:05 PM
One thing about Mac is that everything he does is calculated to improve the size of his wallet and nothing else. He couldn't give two bits about charity unless it benefits him somehow. I used to work for a competitor and some of the things this guy did (as related to me by some former workers of his) would make many of you think twice about doing business with this guy. I personally can't stand him, and I wouldn't buy bottled water from him if I were stuck in the Mojave desert.

I've heard stories that being an employee there is pretty much a nightmare. Miserable working conditions so he makes an extra nickel and dime.

Mr. White
04-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I thought the following was especially interesting.

“That’s water under the bridge,” McIngvale said in a telephone interview. “Everybody makes mistakes, and you’ve got to move on. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re 9-7 this year. I think they’ve got the thing headed in the right direction.”

That is surely welcome news for McNair, who conceded that he was surprised by how heated and widespread the reaction was to the selection of Williams. McNair answers mail from fans as long as it is signed, so he is attuned to public perception. He said he spent much of last year explaining that the Texans had to get a pass rusher if they were ever going to win a division dominated by Peyton Manning.

Was anyone else aware of McNair's accessibility to fans?

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
So is this a confirmation that it was Casserly's pick. Or is Casserly just the ticket holder?

Specnatz
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Didn't Mac also say he would take his donation away from North Texas State if they fired there baskeball coach?

Mac is a screw ball and I noticed after he became a millionaire that his prices are not the lowest in Houston.

He helped create some of the angst against the team for its selection of Mario versus the selection of VY but he wont apologize for that and to me that is just as wrong as anything. At least McNair has the stones to sit in front of a mic and take it and be a man.

Was anyone else aware of McNair's accessibility to fans? No I was not.

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 02:36 PM

Was anyone else aware of McNair's accessibility to fans?

I saw that, too, and it has crossed my mind to write him a nice letter of support (with my signature, of course). It would be cool to get a letter in return from an NFL owner, even if it's all rah-rah.

TexanExile
04-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Sometimes it's hard to think about how long I've been away from my Houston roots. I do miss home.

Then, a thread references Mattress Mac, and I realize that Florida ain't that bad. Thanks, y'all!

NO newspaper ads. Good. Now, if he'd only promise to stop his TV ads....:cool:

eriadoc
04-18-2007, 02:46 PM
The Texans have admitted what many here already knew a year ago, which was the real mistake was retaining Carr which also effectively made VY and the other QBs irrelavant.
And as far as Bush vs. Mario, sometimes I think most of the NFLs football fans are dominated by Fantasy Leaguers who can't comphrehend the idea of taking any defensive player ahead of a high-scoring offensive weapon like Bush. Instead of being the consensus #2 best player in the Draft right behind Bush, you'd have thought the Texans were reaching for a total unknown who wasn't even rated on most teams top 50 Board by the outcry from many fans.
The Texans first round choice was sound - in theory. Now "THIS YEAR" Mario has got to deliver on the field to validate that theory.

I'm glad you mentioned this. As it came out later, 8 of the 32 teams had Mario Williams ranked as the best player available at #1. So the Texans were certainly in the minority, but it wasn't as if they were out of their minds, like some posters like to assert. Furthermore, ZERO teams had VY rated as the top player available, and most didn't have him rated as the top QB available. So when people say, with hindsight, that the Texans should have taken VY #1 overall, I take such statements with a grain of salt (hell, a pitcher).

HoustonFrog
04-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Any guy who became a multi-millionaire selling furniture out of an oversized tent is selling drugs inside the couches. Sofa-sleeper mules.

Good article. Would have been better if Casserly wasn't quoted..same Charlie.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope Mac refrains from that, but I'll give him some credit. He treathened to withdraw his latest donation ofter the university went back on it's word to name teh new athletic building after former coach Daryl Dickey, who has cancer I beleive. UNT kept the money and it's word.

:hothboy:

Well that's nice to know.. Again, I have respect for the guy because he is involved in so many charitable events that sometimes get no pub.

As far as being a Gallery employee and the hell that is supposed to be, I have never heard that before... I would hope that he would treat them better than that. He wouldn't have built his furniture dynasty without the hard work of others - helping him.. If you are one that subscribes to the theory that businesses are only as strong as their weakest link, than I would say the guy has been blessed with some great people over the years, dating back to his live commercials with Paul Bosch!!!

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 02:53 PM
The full Mac v. UNT story:

http://www.uh.edu/ednews/2006/hc/200611/20061120unt.html

Porky
04-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Any guy who became a multi-millionaire selling furniture out of an oversized tent is selling drugs inside the couches. Sofa-sleeper mules.

Good article. Would have been better if Casserly wasn't quoted..same Charlie.

You're not far off on that based on some things I heard. :shades:

And let's not forget that in the public record is an arrest on coke charges, and we ain't talking diet coke either.

All Mac does is toot his own :horn:

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 03:33 PM
You're not far off on that based on some things I heard. :shades:

And let's not forget that in the public record is an arrest on coke charges, and we ain't talking diet coke either.

All Mac does is toot his own :horn:

Coke... really?!?!? I thought I remembered him getting busted for a DWI, but not coke... WOW!!!

Ole Miss Texan
04-19-2007, 02:40 AM
man, that's great we're getting some good publicity out there! lol.

I don't think McNair and Co. think it was a mistake selecting Mario. IF they ever do, they will not make that decision untill after at least 5 years....to do so less than 1 year after the draft would mean they went into it not sure of themselves and are just as foolish as the typical nfl fan.

Mario going to be great. So is Demeco, hopefully Spencer and Winston, Daniels is awesome. we'll see about lundy and anderson this year...but what a solid draft.

As far as mailing letter to coaches and such...

When I was like 9 years old (1994) I read an article in the Houston..'Post?' about the Rice Owls vs. Texas Atm football game. I don't really remember the specifics but I think it said how rice needed to and was planning on running the ball a lot. Me, being young and all, thought gosh I could really help the aggies out (my father and sister went to atm). So I mailed a hand written note to R.C. Slocum and included the newspaper clipping. and said I was just trying to help and that this could help the aggies win.

Lol, I ended up getting a 8x10 autographed portrait of R.C. Slocum and a hand written note thanking me.

Maybe it was him just being nice to a 9 year old that didn't know any better, but you'd be surprised what some people would 'go out of there way' to do. And a classy guy like McNair, I wouldn't doubt he'd send a thank you...although he's got to be extremely busy.