PDA

View Full Version : Vince is screwed

dskillz
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
from - http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=33&screen=news&news_id=55690

Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young will be on the cover of the EA Sports Madden 2008 video game.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed Young’s gracing the cover of the game to The City Paper. Efforts to reach EA Sports were unsuccessful on Monday.

An official announcement is expected on Tuesday and Young will appear on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" as part of the kickoff promotion for the newest version the popular NFL video game.

Of course, appearing on the cover of the game has produced a “jinx” of sorts in recent seasons.

Several players, including former Titan Eddie George, have graced the cover, then succumbed to injury or ineffectiveness in the season they were on the game’s front.

George was on the cover during the 2001 season, the year he suffered through a toe injury. In 2000, George had rushed for a career-high 1,509 yards. Because of the injury, George managed just 939 yards in 2001 as the Titans slumped from 13-3 to 7-9.

Other prominent players to fall victim to the Madden Curse include quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper and last year’s cover man Shaun Alexander.
Young apparently will also appear in commercial spots for the game that will be aired during coverage of the NFL Draft.

Kaiser Toro
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
VY is the only guy that could break the Madden curse. :gun:

Double Barrel
04-16-2007, 07:34 PM
wow...dude is just daring fate, 'eh? :wild:

I gotta' say, though, that as a skeptic, I don't believe in any of this "Madden curse" nonsense. So no matter what happens, some part of me will benefit. Either he fulfills the curse and we benefit as Texans fans, or he breaks the curse and finally puts a stake in it (making my skeptical side happy).

Vinny
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Draft Vince Young and your franchise gets TWO Monday Night football games and your Franchise is on the cover of Madden.....well, at least we got some dead money to remember Carr by.

Double Barrel
04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Man, I didn't know that the Titans are getting TWO MNF games!! :cool:

dskillz
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM

I gotta' say, though, that as a skeptic, I don't believe in any of this "Madden curse" nonsense. So no matter what happens, some part of me will benefit. Either he fulfills the curse and we benefit as Texans fans, or he breaks the curse and finally puts a stake in it (making my skeptical side happy).

I didn't believe it either until McNabb. 6 years in a row with injured coverboys and then Alexander last season! Maybe VY will escape it, but it is a good sidestory for the season.

axman40
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Man, I didn't know that the Titans are getting TWO MNF games!! :cool:
MNF is the riff raff night, Sunday night is the place to be!
:cowboy1:

Fiddy
04-16-2007, 09:00 PM
VY is going to struggle next year even if he wasnt on the cover. Saying the Titans havent done anything is an understatement.

Brown and Henry are gone so they have a 300 pound Lendale White so no running game.
Lost Bennett and Wade so a couple of unproven, young guys have to try and play.

mexican_texan
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Draft Vince Young and your franchise gets TWO Monday Night football games and your Franchise is on the cover of Madden.....well, at least we got some dead money to remember Carr by.
I'll take a DE over a QB...Kearse or Peppers over Brady or Manning

Blazing Arrow
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Look at the history it is not good. The only player to kind of not get it was Eddie George and then there was that fumble in the playoffs for a guy who never fumbles that cost the Titans there season. :ohsnap:

Fiddy
04-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll take a DE over a QB...Kearse or Peppers over Brady or Manning Why yes, makes perfect sense:
Kearse and Peppers combined Super Bowls: 0 (lost 3 though, Kearse twice, Peppers once...wasnt Kearse a rookie in the "one-yard" super bowl and with Philly for theirs???)
Brady and Manning combined Super Bowls: 4

And Brady beat both Kearse and Peppers I believe.

mexican_texan
04-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Why yes, makes perfect sense:
Kearse and Peppers combined Super Bowls: 0 (lost 3 though, Kearse twice, Peppers once...wasnt Kearse a rookie in the "one-yard" super bowl and with Philly for theirs???)
Brady and Manning combined Super Bowls: 4

And Brady beat both Kearse and Peppers I believe.
I mean, just a coincidence, but Brady had Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi and a generally good supporting cast. Manning had Dwight Freeney and a D that stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. The NFL's number one offense? Lost to the Bears.

Look at premier DEs.
Derrick Burgess
Julius Peppers
Jevon Kearse
Dwight Freeney
Simeon Rice
Michael Strahan
Jason Taylor

Most have gone to the Super Bowl.

Fiddy
04-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I mean, just a coincidence, but Brady had Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi and a generally good supporting cast. Manning had Dwight Freeney and a D that stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. The NFL's number one offense? Lost to the Bears. Brady leading a game winning drive against Peppers, i guess, had everything to do with Seymour and Bruschi. Bruschi did make a couple of TD catches in super bowls, however.

And Adewale Ogunleye of the Bears is a slouch I guess. Or maybe he lost due to the fact that he had Grossman and not Manning.

You build a team around a QB, unless your the Ravens (who were led by a MLB, not a DE) of course...they are like the Oakland A's, they make no sense but they win. Teams led by defensive-ends dont win Super Bowls anymore. (keyword, 'anymore')

Look at premier DEs.
Derrick Burgess
Julius Peppers
Jevon Kearse
Dwight Freeney
Simeon Rice
Michael Strahan
Jason Taylor

Most have gone to the Super Bowl. Yes, they've all gone and only Rice has won one. I'm more intrested in winning a super bowl, not just going.

infantrycak
04-16-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll take a DE over a QB...Kearse or Peppers over Brady or Manning

Wow, just wow.

385 of 385 coaches just said you are insane if you make that choice. C'mon, it is one thing to say you would take Freeney or Peppers over Vick, Carr, stretch it even to Hasselbeck or Romo but none would elect as you suggest, unless by chance you meant Eli and even then they would take him over Kearse.

mexican_texan
04-16-2007, 11:37 PM
You build a team around a QB,
No way. There's a reason it took Manning until now to win a ring: he finally got a D that stepped up in the playoffs. Before that, Pittsburgh, New England, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens were all at the top of the league as far as Defense. Only the Rams won by their offense, and their D wasn't that bad.

mexican_texan
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Wow, just wow.

385 of 385 coaches just said you are insane if you make that choice. C'mon, it is one thing to say you would take Freeney or Peppers over Vick, Carr, stretch it even to Hasselbeck or Romo but none would elect as you suggest, unless by chance you meant Eli and even then they would take him over Kearse.
I'd say there's a better chance you get a Carr or an Eli when you get a QB than you would get a Courtney Brown or Jerome McDougle at DE in the draft. There are a lot of factors that go into the play of the QB: the line play, the recievers, the running game, the hair, whatever, but a DE like Reggie White can take over any play any time.

Vinny
04-16-2007, 11:39 PM
No way. There's a reason it took Manning until now to win a ring: he finally got a D that stepped up in the playoffs. Before that, Pittsburgh, New England, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens were all at the top of the league as far as Defense. Only the Rams won by their offense, and their D wasn't that bad.Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.

Fiddy
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
The fact that the Steelers, New England and Tampa when they won had Pro-Bowl QBs served no relevance to their Super Bowl victory???

And the Chicago defense was far superior than Indy's, it's just one team had Grossman, the other Manning.

You build a team around a QB, but you will need a defense to win, it's cliche but true.

infantrycak
04-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.

More like young Ewok.

WaywardTexanFan
04-17-2007, 06:06 AM
I personally think that this is great news and may the curse continue for 1 more year. :splits:

BigWig
04-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Darn now that I know that I will have to change my predictions for this season, we might just beat the mighty homeboy twice!:bat:

eriadoc
04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
The "Madden Curse" is kind of funny. I am not personally a believer, because there's no real concrete reason it should continue happening the way it does.

However, the Curse continues to happen, whether I believe it or not. So I guess we'll see.

Scooter
04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
i was just informed that ladainian tomlinson was actually the first asked to be the madden cover boy but turned it down. i wonder if he's superstitious.

Texan_Bill
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Here's a sneak peak at the cover:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/TECH/10/29/hln.game.jinx/vert.madden2004.jpg

TexanAddict
04-17-2007, 05:17 PM
VY is going to struggle next year even if he wasnt on the cover. Saying the Titans havent done anything is an understatement.

Brown and Henry are gone so they have a 300 pound Lendale White so no running game.

Add that they also lost their #1 CB and best PR/KR for a minimum of 10 games and I'd say the Madden curse just got an early start this year.

hollywood_texan
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
VY will accept any challenge and believes in his heart he can overcome anything. Never have met the guy, but that's what I have heard and read about him.

I find it rather amazing the guy just keeps getting better and better regardless of what the skeptics say. Yeah his mechanics are little different, but he just get it's done, and his way! Gotta love that!

BTW, infantrycak, I am a very loyal UT fan that went to both Rose Bowls. Even after the 2nd Rose Bowl I was skepitcal of VY in the NFL. A buddy that went to the game with me asked me the next day, "What does this guy have to do prove it to you?" I had no answer and ceased being a skeptic on VY playing in the NFL.

Bottom line, if there is a Madden curse, VY is the only guy that can break it in my opinion!

Double Barrel
04-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I dont' think Eddie George should qualify. He had his best year during his Madden cover. Fumbling the ball should not qualify as a jinx, because every player is going to make mistakes during a season, even the best of them (albeit the fumble was during the playoffs, but still, he suffered no injuries).

But the rest of the covers are some very intriguing coincidences. :hmmm:

Yankee_In_TX
04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169244.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

Though the official announcement wasn't due until later tonight, the cat is out of the bag: Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young is the cover athlete for this year's Madden NFL game. The honor was supposed to be revealed on tonight's episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live!, where the cover athlete is a surprise guest.

Yankee_In_TX
04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
LOL, sorry mods. Didn't associate the two threads. I thought he was screwed for a different reason :)

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM

The loss of PacMan is a huge thing too. He was the key to a number of their wins. He maybe makes the ProBowl if he isn't doing the repugnant human being thing.

mexican_texan
04-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.
If the Indy D that faced us was the same D that faced KC in round 1 or even the Bears in the Super Bowl, they would not have rings.

mexican_texan
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
The loss of PacMan is a huge thing too. He was the key to a number of their wins. He maybe makes the ProBowl if he isn't doing the repugnant human being thing.
VY wasn't doing his magic every week, PacMan had a lot to do with the Titans' success.

Vinny
04-17-2007, 07:50 PM
VY wasn't doing his magic every week, PacMan had a lot to do with the Titans' success.

Young was incredible on 3rd downs last year with 10 TD's (6 passing and 4 running) and a 64.6 first down conversion ratio, with five 20+ passing throws and 8.7 yards every time he took off running on 3rd down. That had as much to do with the Titan wins as anything pacman did.

mexican_texan
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Young was incredible on 3rd downs last year with 10 TD's (6 passing and 4 running) and a 64.6 first down conversion ratio, with five 20+ passing throws and 8.7 yards every time he took off running on 3rd down. That had as much to do with the Titan wins as anything pacman did.
I thought you watched every Titans game. Can you honestly say the Titans would have won 5 games without PacMan?

Vinny
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I thought you watched every Titans game. Can you honestly say the Titans would have won 5 games without PacMan? If your QB is nearly unstoppable on 3rd down...you are not going to lose too many games. The Titan defense gave up over 400 points. They were only one of two teams that gave up that insane amount of points.

Fiddy
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Add that they also lost their #1 CB and best PR/KR for a minimum of 10 games and I'd say the Madden curse just got an early start this year. Yeah, that 10 game suspension is gonna hurt and I personally think it is stupid. I believe Henry is the one that has been convicted by the law and his punishment is less. PacMan has just been in the wrong place at the wrong time but has not been convicted of anything. "Innocent before proven guilty" is just a cool phrase I guess.

Overalls
04-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Nothing like Titans love on a Texans board.

Young is still more a rb than a qb and with all the Titans loses, he will have to be a WR too.

infantrycak
04-17-2007, 10:26 PM
That had as much to do with the Titan wins as anything pacman did.

Only the silly (like the media) would credit all the Titans' wins to VY and only the silly would credit them all to Pacman. Fact is both played well and poorly in some games and the team won and both had spectacular games where they made the difference. Take Pacman or VY off that team and replace them with Petey or Carr and they lose 2-3 games more either way.

mexican_texan
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Only the silly (like the media) would credit all the Titans' wins to VY and only the silly would credit them all to Pacman. Fact is both played well and poorly in some games and the team won and both had spectacular games where they made the difference. Take Pacman or VY off that team and replace them with Petey or Carr and they lose 2-3 games more either way.
The running game was pretty good as well, yet it never got any recognition.

Vinny
04-17-2007, 10:46 PM
The running game was pretty good as well, yet it never got any recognition.Check out Henry's yards per attempt with Collins in the game...and then look at it with Young....an astounding difference.

Il_Bruno
04-17-2007, 11:30 PM
I think that subconciously when people bring up pacman as the major factor for the titan's success its just a way for some people to take a jab at VY by not giving him his props. sure, the media would have you believe Vince Young also played D and took all the FG attempts but I certainly give most of the credit to him. We can look all around for other reasons all we want but i think its too much of a coincidence that the titans started winning once they put the rookie in.

Overalls
04-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Check out Henry's yards per attempt with Collins in the game...and then look at it with Young....an astounding difference.

Our rushing game improved toward the end of the year also, but we never changed QBs.

I can't believe I have to argue with the "Vince walks on water people" on Texans Talk and it not be in a smack section with a TENNhead.

How the mighty freedom board has fallen.

Bipolar The Titan
04-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Here's a sneak peak at the cover:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/TECH/10/29/hln.game.jinx/vert.madden2004.jpg

try again big guy. :rolleyes:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/89/vyqh3.gif

photochop by RyansTitans @ goTitans.com

I ain't real crazy about Vince being on that cover but if anyone will defy the curse it will be Vince. Vince is proving to be everything you people say he is.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
LOL.... Look like mirrored images to me.....

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/89/vyqh3.gif http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/TECH/10/29/hln.game.jinx/vert.madden2004.jpg

photochop by RyansTitans @ goTitans.com

I ain't real crazy about Vince being on that cover but if anyone will defy the curse it will be Vince. Vince is proving to be everything you people say he is.

LOL.... Look like mirrored images to me.....

Vinny
04-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Our rushing game improved toward the end of the year also, but we never changed QBs.

I can't believe I have to argue with the "Vince walks on water people" on Texans Talk and it not be in a smack section with a TENNhead.

I give honest opinion on the game of football in the NFL...I don't twist my opinions to fit homer views since I enjoy my credibility. That's just how I am.

HoustonFrog
04-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Our rushing game improved because we only had the QB throw it 9 times a game..lol

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Save it Overalls. Texans Talk as you knew it, no longer exists. So, that means if the people who are now in charge says Vince walks on water, Vince walks on water....

BUT he still can't throw... Chuck Knoblauch thinks thats messed up....

Our rushing game improved, because really it had no other direction to go...

Overalls, "freedom" is a state of mind......

Vinny
04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Save it Overalls. Texans Talk as you knew it, no longer exists. So, that means if the people who are now in charge says Vince walks on water, Vince walks on water....

Overalls, "freedom" is a state of mind......So you can speak your mind but I can't? I don't get into your version of "freedom". I've been participating in this community for half a decade and everyone who has read me knows I'm a huge NFL fan in general and I just don't do homer takes. I have nothing against them...but it just isn't me. I don't like to be dishonest about my real opinions.

I give opinions on players....why don't you keep it to players too? That would be nice.

TEXANSTAILGATER
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
The curse...I hope it can make it one more year.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
So you can speak your mind but I can't? I don't get into your version of "freedom". I've been participating in this community for half a decade and everyone who has read me knows I'm a huge NFL fan in general and I just don't do homer takes. I have nothing against them...but it just isn't me. I don't like to be dishonest about my real opinions.

I give opinions on players....why don't you keep it to players too? That would be nice.

Funny Vinny... I couldn't even make it past your first question... Where in my post did I say that?? When you answer that, then I will dignify the rest of your post.

Vinny
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
You basically said that since I give opinions on players you may not like, this place is "different". Last time I checked, this is an opinion board. You guys just want to make things personal for some reason. I'm not talking about you when I post...but you guys seem to always dog me. Hell, I'm just talking about the game and my perceptions as I see it. No reason to equate my opinion to the official stance of texanstalk on Vince Young...as if there is one.

infantrycak
04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

This is in the NFL forum, i.e. the place to talk primarily about teams other than the Texans. I see no reason why all talk about other teams has to be smack talk or why every player on every other team has to be disparaged.

Seems to me you are the one placing limits on discussion, i.e. freedom, not the other way around.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 10:39 AM
You basically said that since I give opinions on players you may not like, this place is "different". Last time I checked, this is an opinion board. You guys just want to make things personal for some reason. I'm not talking about you when I post...but you guys seem to always dog me. Hell, I'm just talking about the game and my perceptions as I see it. No reason to equate my opinion to the official stance of texanstalk on Vince Young...as if there is one.

Vinny, you have an answer for everything.. Here I am trying to adjust to the "new" Texans Talk, which is nothing more than the "Old" Main Board where people's posts have to be a written a lot more rigid than the old Texans Talk. I have been biting my lip, so to speak, as I attempt to go through my little paradigm shift and offered nothing but encouragement for Overalls to do the same....

Both Overalls and I merely stated our opinions. I have been consistent on my opinions of VY and have never waivered. I'm pretty sure that Overalls has as well. Yet I do understand that we have to express those opinions a lot differently now on the unofficial official old main board.

"Freedom" is what you make of it... "Freedom" different meanings for different people... "Freedom" doesn't always come unconditional or without some limitations...

PS.. I HAD been a member of TT twice as long as the "Old" main board, as well as many other former members..

In closing, VY will have a horrific year.. Not only Madden Jinx but that coupled with the typical sophomore jinx..

Vinny
04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I just hate places that talk about me when I talk about the players...Don't worry though. I'm stepping down. I don't need it.

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Gotta love it when somebody's hatred blinds them to facts, and the fact was that last year VY played better then all teh nay-sayers said he would. Hell, I thought there was little chance of him succeding at all, let alone this early, in the NFL. I still don't hink he's going to have a long career, as most running QB's do suffer injury; but I'll be damned if he didn't paly better then I thought he ever would as a rookie.

Will he break the curse? No, mainly because I don't beleive in things like curses.

This is a message baord attacking soembody simply because their opinion differs from yours is a childish tactic. If you think you are right try backing it up with facts not bitching.

If nobody's posts have been deleted (unless they were obsecen or outside the limits of good taste) how is anybody;s freedom being trampled on?

HoustonFrog
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I just hate places that talk about me when I talk about the players...Don't worry though. I'm stepping down. I don't need it.

Ahh, come on V. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. I, for one, have appreciated being here the past year and a half and having guys like you, Honoring Earl and others who hold similar values and who like to evaluate the players without getting personal with the posters. I haven't had the run-ins, except for family Carr and a few others but overall the disagreements are what makes the board fun....as long as it stays on point with the teams and players. I used to be on another non-Texans board awhile back and I knew I had done something right when people couldn't stop trying to attack me. It means you are in their head a little...lol

Disclaimer: This post in no way means I can't post peacefully with those who have opposed V in this thread. Please carry on.

As for VY, there is nothing to say. Until proven otherwise he is better than most thought he would be and continues to outperform expectations and those who want to see him fail. He could won a SB and people will still rip him for something.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I actually thought VY played BETTER than I originally thought he would... In fact, going into the season, I didnt think VY would get a sniff. I thought the Titans would have done with him, what the Oilers did with Steve McNair. I thought they brought in Kerry Collins to be VY's Chris Chandelier...

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't you wish you had a dollar for all the silly things said about Vince Young by both his supporters and his detractors since the first time his name was discussed?

Personally, I like Vince Young and would have been ecstatic for him to be a Texan. Just because the worst case scenario happened and he went to Tennessee, doesn't mean that everyone has to lockstep think he is going to stink on ice. I'm not going to root for him in a TN uni, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the things that he is able to do.

I believe this is going to be an interesting season for him. Without two of the running backs, and the effect that PacMan has, I am curious to see what he can do. Will Lendale step away from the donuts? Will there draft class be able to make immediate impact? Oh, and how about that Madden curse?

People said that VY was going to struggle his junior year with the inexperienced WRs that Texas had at that time. They obviously didn't. It will be interesting to see what VY can do without the star CB/returnman/***** helping, and less experience at running back.

He's not on my favorite team, but Vince Young is not someone I would ever bet against.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, obviously none of us know how the season will play out, but he wont have any weapons or an O-line to work with, unless the Titans make a lot of hay in the draft and whats left time wise, between now and the season.. They have been way too inactive this off-season...

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
It's the old battle between the head and the heart.

As a Texans fanatic, I really dislike our opponents (especially Tennessee). My heart wants to say they all suck.

But my head, as an NFL fan, realizes that great players will be on teams that I hate. It was this way in the early 90's with the Cowboys. I hated that team, but man, I had nothing but respect for Aikman, Emmit, Moose, etc.

All this being said, I wish nothing but the worst for VY. But I know I never get what I wish, so it'll just have to be a wait-and-see long haul thing. May the curse of Madden permeate his sophomore year.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with you DB - especially your points when referring to Aikman, Emmit, etc... However, respect of a player and all out adoration are two different animals.

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM

I take issue to this. We've spent a lot of time and effort to make this site better. Wow big deal that you have to clean up your potty mouth a little. I am as big a VY hater as anyone and continually argue that point. I've am one Vinny's oldest foes when it comes to verbal jarring, we still constantly get into it. The only difference is that we cleaned it up a bit, there are young people on the internet as well. I wouldn't open a smack off with Vinny if we were face to face and my children were sitting there watching me. It's no different on the internet. You can still be respectful, it's not that hard.

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Overalls, "freedom" is a state of mind......

Someone's been watching too much "Braveheart". "Freedoooooooooooommm". Please. Yes Texans Talk as you knew it doesn't exist, and hopefully it becomes better. This is a fan site, supported by fans. What are your suggestions for improvements? Our ears are open. We can put it to a poll and let the fans decide.

And Vince Young doesn't walk on water, he walks on luck. (<---notice the hatred for VY?) Don't lump everyone into this category, it makes my stomach turn. Where's Vinny, I need to argue with him to make myself feel better.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Someone's been watching too much "Braveheart". "Freedoooooooooooommm". Please. Yes Texans Talk as you knew it doesn't exist, and hopefully it becomes better. This is a fan site, supported by fans. What are your suggestions for improvements? Our ears are open. We can put it to a poll and let the fans decide.

And Vince Young doesn't walk on water, he walks on luck. (<---notice the hatred for VY?) Don't lump everyone into this category, it makes my stomach turn. Where's Vinny, I need to argue with him to make myself feel better.

Funny about the Braveheart reference... Not really where I was going with that, but it was in response to both Overalls and Vinny's sparring... Again, that was kinda funny!!

If you read into the meaning of my post, you will see that its not much different than your post to Overalls (just from a different angle -or- approach)... I realize that there are changes and old TT members that have been around a long, long time are going to have to make adjustments. Quite honestly, some of the changes I really like... Some changes, well, not so much -but- ce las vie!! ...

LOL, about your comment with respect to VY and asking where Vinny is...

I don't, nor will I ever "lump" everyone together, especially as it relates to VY. I have too many friends and family that are 'sips, so I know better.....

Thanks for your input, now lets get back to discussin whether VY will be affected by the so-called "Madden jinx" or even the "Sophomore jinx" or if he will struggle this year based on the Flaming Meatball's inactivity this off-season...

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Funny about the Braveheart reference... Not really where I was going with that, but it was in response to both Overalls and Vinny's sparring... Again, that was kinda funny!!

If you read into the meaning of my post, you will see that its not much different than your post to Overalls (just from a different angle -or- approach)... I realize that there are changes and old TT members that have been around a long, long time are going to have to make adjustments. Quite honestly, some of the changes I really like... Some changes, well, not so much -but- ce las vie!! ...

LOL, about your comment with respect to VY and asking where Vinny is...

I don't, nor will I ever "lump" everyone together, especially as it relates to VY. I have too many friends and family that are 'sips, so I know better.....

Thanks for your input, now lets get back to discussin whether VY will be affected by the so-called "Madden jinx" or even the "Sophomore jinx" or if he will struggle this year based on the Flaming Meatball's inactivity this off-season...
ok so we are getting somewhere. I look forward to you having my back when I slam Vinny in VY threads!:vinny: Now, if you hate certain things about this site then list them, we are always looking for ways to improve it. It's built by the fans for the fans. We have no agenda other than making this site fan friendly. As far as you old TT motherboarder goes (I'll just call you TT mothers!), I understand your loss, but after I clear a few things on my list I want to address your issues about not having your posts from the previous board. Both of the systems run on the same type of database so there might be a way to import that data into it's own sub category here on this message board. We are also looking into a way that you TT mothers can have an area for smack talk. Please be patient though, we might not get to right away, but it is definitely on the list of things to do.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Good post!! And I will be right there for the VY slamming...

"TT Mothers" LMAO!! I for one am being patient and hold high hopes for this board. It might help if there was a forum designated to letting people voice their likes and dislikes -or- opinions about the board, rather than letting a specific thread get hi-jacked (like this one was nearly on the verge of doing)..... Here's to the success of the "new" board :drunk:

I especially hope VY sucks particularly twice a year. Other than that, I really could care less one way or the other (similarly with Joseph Adai), because of the divisional implications...

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I for one am being patient and hold high hopes for this board. It might help if there was a forum designated to letting people voice their likes and dislikes -or- opinions about the board, rather than letting a specific thread get hi-jacked .

There is a thread for site suggestions (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=37854), please post them there. I really do value feedback. You can post your dislikes and so on, but all we are asking is to keep things relatively clean and respectful. It's not hard. Just use your wit.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 02:41 PM
There is a thread for site suggestions (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=37854), please post them there. I really do value feedback. You can post your dislikes and so on, but all we are asking is to keep things relatively clean and respectful. It's not hard. Just use your wit.

Thanks... duly noted, and I also said post "likes" too... :)

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks... duly noted, and I also said post "likes" too... :)Thanks for the effort Texan_Bill. I know that is sucks to wake up to a new board and lose all of your old posts and tenure. Trust me I understand. We are trying to find a way to make the transition easier. One of the top priorities is to gain the tenure back as far as status, some people think this is a big deal, and I for one understand. We may not be able to get your posts incorporated in this message board, we are certainly going to try. I don't want this to be a split of old TT mothers and New site refugees. I just want the TT mothers to understand that we are just trying to make this site better, with more features and more of a community.

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Oh, and I don't like Vince Young. I think if he hadn't of ran for the TD against the Texans in OT then he really wouldn't have gotten the attention he's been getting. He's overrated. Team will catch on and hold him in check (see Patriots game).

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
If VY struggles this year it'll be beacuse of the following reasons: a) the only RB on teh Titans roster weights in at 300 pounds, b) the Titan's special teams unit lost its best player and one of the teams leading scores, c) both of the Titans top 2 receivers are gone and d) the D lost their best player. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

SESupergenius
04-18-2007, 03:54 PM
It's just his style of QB. It's so Randall Cunninghamish. I actually like Cunningham, but with a QB if you get hurt your backup will dictate the way you play the rest of the game. Since the styles of Young and his backup are worlds apart, it will be difficult for the Titans to adjust to that if Young goes down. Which by the way, he will go down because you can't have that style and not get injured. It's just the nature of the game. That's why most teams have 2 good running backs, they tend to get banged up as the season progresses. You usually don't have the same kind of caliber backup in a quarterback as your do a backup running back.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Randall Cunningham and Steve McNair both learned over time to work within the structures of their offenses.. Ron Mexico has not, and from what I've seen from VY (albeit one season) he fits more of the Mexico mould to me. JMO

UTVinceYoung
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I know some of you guys hate the Titans and probably won't give me any credit for saying this but I will say it.

Remember, The Titans picked Vince Young. Vince Young didn't pick the Titans. From what I've read, Vince Young said a long time ago, that he wanted to play for the Texans. It's not Vince Young's fault that he isn't with your team. I know you want him to fail but surely you can give the guy some credit. Vince has amazing work ethic that one can admire. He wants to win and when he loses, he really takes the loss hard.

I can't believe that some people want to give Pacman Jones all the credit. That is crazy! It takes a team to win and one player can't win the game alone. I really think Vince Youngs contagious "Play to win" attitude rubbed off on his teammates. I think Vince motivates his team to play hard and not to give up.

Vince isn't the best quarterback ever but I think, in time, he will be a really great quarterback. That is just my opinion.

I ignore Overalls comments :gun: because it is the same stuff he posts over at titansonline. It get's old and there is no place for it. We don't have a smack section on that board but he feels the need to make his petty comments known all over the board. Whatever.

I really like the new place here :) much better than the old one.
Good luck to your team this season :cool:

Overalls
04-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I take issue to this. We've spent a lot of time and effort to make this site better. Wow big deal that you have to clean up your potty mouth a little.

Potty mouth. You have got to be kidding. It takes a man of low intelligence to use profanity, so genius I take offense to this.

My only point was. That all this Vince walks on water talk is homer talk for a Titans fan. He had a 1200 yard RB that was a little help, but it has nothing to do with the RB it was Vince that caused the back to get the yards. He also had a DB helping him with a TD. He had a special teams that got him a TD. I wish Vince well, but I get tired of hearing how he is the root of everything good on the Titans. That no one else on that team did anything. Football is a TEAM sport and while I realize that his stats don't tell the whole story he is not the greatest QB of all time. Heck I will even through in yet, but give me a break Just because he is from Houston and went to UT does not mean I have to praise the TITANS qb as the savior of the NFL.

UTVinceYoung
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm glad this thread got moved here. This thread was about Vince Young on the cover of Madden at one point but turned into "Vince Young Haters Post Here" thread

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 11:24 PM
I wish Vince well,...

Why? I thought you were a Texans fan? Only a Titans homer would wish Vince Young well. :victory:

No offense, man - and trust me, as a Titans hater it pains me to say this...but in a one year period, Young helped win a NCAA Championship, got NFL Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowl honors, and helped his suck team go on a huge winning streak (almost making the playoffs after an 0-5 start).

Yeah, he sucks. :ok:

I think Drew Brees is a great QB, too. I guess that makes me a Saints homer? :um:

TEXANS84
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I think Vince is a great athlete, a great person to the local community, and a local hero for bringing a championship to Texas.

Do I wish him success? Hmm...sure. Against us? Hell no.

Vince is now the enemy.

mexican_texan
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
I can't believe that some people want to give Pacman Jones all the credit.
I don't know who you're talking about, but he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He gave up very few TDs and Kyle Vanden Bosch said that other than Vince, no one had a bigger impact on the Titans than Pacman.

Bipolar The Titan
04-19-2007, 08:55 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bipolartitan/vince-young-interview-2007041801162.jpg

Here is the real cover. I love the columbia blue pants with the alternate jersey. It's a pretty good look but it's not my favorite. I've uploaded a youtube video for you to see. It's Madden 07 gameplay. Very cool. :shades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmskNQBJVLw

Texan_Bill
04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I know some of you guys hate the Titans and probably won't give me any credit for saying this but I will say it.

Remember, The Titans picked Vince Young. Vince Young didn't pick the Titans. From what I've read, Vince Young said a long time ago, that he wanted to play for the Texans. It's not Vince Young's fault that he isn't with your team. I know you want him to fail but surely you can give the guy some credit. Vince has amazing work ethic that one can admire. He wants to win and when he loses, he really takes the loss hard.

I can't believe that some people want to give Pacman Jones all the credit. That is crazy! It takes a team to win and one player can't win the game alone.

I hear what you are saying about the Titans picking him and not the other way around. But, he did pick TU... :brickwall:

I don't give Pac-man ALL of the credit... Baronis did kick a 60 yarder.

Unfortunately, there are too many posters that really beleive Vince does walk on water and go as far as to give him all of the credit for the 8-8 season that the Titans enjoyed last year - conversely the way HWSRN was solely blamed for ALL of the Texans losses....

Texan_Bill
04-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Here is the real cover. I love the columbia blue pants with the alternate jersey. It's a pretty good look but it's not my favorite. I've uploaded a youtube video for you to see. It's Madden 07 gameplay. Very cool.

LOL. at the Columbia blue reference... It was Columbia blue with the Houston Oilers... Now its "powder blue" :splits:

Bipolar The Titan
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
click link to puke (http://www.titansproshop.com/main_detail.cfm?nProductID=3272&sAuxTitle=Luv%20Ya%20Blue%20Tee):spot:

Texan_Bill
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
click link to puke (http://www.titansproshop.com/main_detail.cfm?nProductID=3272&sAuxTitle=Luv%20Ya%20Blue%20Tee):spot:

I through up in my mouth........... lol..

Really? Titans are marketing the Luv Ya Blue! slogan??? *edit* Bud Adams is absolutely pathetic.

Bipolar The Titan
04-19-2007, 10:21 AM
well, it's under the heading "novelty - classics"...
I'd buy one. I'd wear an Oil Derrick throwback too.

The team has a rich history. I don't see anything wrong with marketing items from a bygone era. There are plenty of folks who stuck with the Oilers-Titans through it all... even living in Texas... even big time University of Texas fans who weren't too high at all on the Titans now are back because of Vince Young and a sense of idenity with the past; the Oilers era I mean. I can understand your feelings or the feelings of most any average Texan fan. As a season ticket holder myself I'd be furious if my team up and left. For what it's worth I'm pleased with the way things have shook out. I'm glad the Titans have a winning record against the Texans but over the next 10-20 years I'd like to see the Titans and Texans at the top of the division... both clubs making trips to the post season. I'd really like to see Texans-Titans be on par with other great divison rivalries around the league. The Titans haven't done anything in a while and the Texans, well, let's just face it. They never have done much of anything... (they've had their moments)...

I know something was really done to cement the rivalry with the passing on Young and the former Oilers snapping him up. (at the insistance of the Owner, no less)... Bud Adams pretty much fired our GM over Vince Young. That's funny to me. If Vince Young was at any other school outside of Texas I'm sure he wouldn't have been picked at #3. He would have slid just like Leinart. He might have gone to Oakland but I doubt it. What really boggles my mind though is after all the fuss about how Carr was hot $#!t he got thrown out on his arse like a two dollar hooker! I'd fear Vince Young in the coming years. I'd fear him more than Manning. I don't know about sophmore jinxes and Madden curses in regards to Young. Sounds like alot of hooey. I just know that come his fourth and fifth year he will be an absolute beast once the Titans get their ducks in a row. Get him some weapons... get a defense that can manage to stay off the feild. The offseason is entirely too long sometimes. I'd like to see some football.

Texan_Bill
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Knowing Bud they we do, its all about the money.. If he can make a buck by marketing the "classic" logo - he will and thats fine. Thats business.

BUT please, lets not for a second spin it that Bud is interested in a 10 year old Titan fan becoming a fan of the franchises history... He could care less if they know who the likes of Billy Cannon, George Blanda, Elvin Bethea, etc., etc., etc., etc. are....

Shaft75
04-19-2007, 10:53 AM

The team has a rich history. I don't see anything wrong with marketing items from a bygone era. There are plenty of folks who stuck with the Oilers-Titans through it all... even living in Texas... even big time University of Texas fans who weren't too high at all on the Titans now are back because of Vince Young and a sense of idenity with the past; the Oilers era I mean. I can understand your feelings or the feelings of most any average Texan fan. As a season ticket holder myself I'd be furious if my team up and left. For what it's worth I'm pleased with the way things have shook out. I'm glad the Titans have a winning record against the Texans but over the next 10-20 years I'd like to see the Titans and Texans at the top of the division... both clubs making trips to the post season. I'd really like to see Texans-Titans be on par with other great divison rivalries around the league. The Titans haven't done anything in a while and the Texans, well, let's just face it. They never have done much of anything... (they've had their moments)...

I know something was really done to cement the rivalry with the passing on Young and the former Oilers snapping him up. (at the insistance of the Owner, no less)... Bud Adams pretty much fired our GM over Vince Young. That's funny to me. If Vince Young was at any other school outside of Texas I'm sure he wouldn't have been picked at #3. He would have slid just like Leinart. He might have gone to Oakland but I doubt it. What really boggles my mind though is after all the fuss about how Carr was hot $#!t he got thrown out on his arse like a two dollar hooker! I'd fear Vince Young in the coming years. I'd fear him more than Manning. I don't know about sophmore jinxes and Madden curses in regards to Young. Sounds like alot of hooey. I just know that come his fourth and fifth year he will be an absolute beast once the Titans get their ducks in a row. Get him some weapons... get a defense that can manage to stay off the feild. The offseason is entirely too long sometimes. I'd like to see some football.

I think you need to remember where Vince wants to be. It's a little funny that his first association to TN is that the Titans were originally from Houston.

Feel good about having VY on your team, but remember... he would much rather be in Houston, TX! :texans:

Double Barrel
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM

wow....just...wow :dontknowa That's just wrong

You should read the book by John Pirckle, "Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team" for a little insight into your team's history and the shenanigans of your owner.

I'd fear Vince Young in the coming years. I'd fear him more than Manning.

I don't blame you for feeling good about your QB, but let's not get emotional about it. Manning is one of the best of the best, period. I'm not a Colts homer, but he could end up being one of the greatest QBs to play the game. I'd hesitate to throw a 1 year QB into the same conversation with Manning.

Errant Hothy
04-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Floyd was on ESPN recently and they asked him if he though White was going to cut it as the Titans RB and while he didn't just say a flat "no" it was clear what he was meaning to say.

Texan_Bill
04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Floyd was on ESPN recently and they asked him if he though White was going to cut it as the Titans RB and while he didn't just say a flat "no" it was clear what he was meaning to say.

For a minute there, I thought the question was going to be, "Can he cut his calorie and Carb intake?"

Nevermind

eriadoc
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Fantasy football article on NFL.com lays out the results of the Madden curse over the past eight years.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/10144815

Bipolar The Titan
04-28-2007, 02:51 AM
I'd fear Vince Young in the coming years. I'd fear him more than Manning.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bipolartitan/colt-killer-big1.jpg

Specnatz
04-28-2007, 04:42 AM

Isn't that the actual play where he falls without being touched??

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2007, 05:25 PM
VY is the only guy that could break the Madden curse. :gun:
I agree.

Double Barrel
04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
FANTASY:

REALITY (Photoshop not required):

http://www.indy500.com/news/2007/images/peyton-300-03142007.jpg

TEXANRED
04-29-2007, 03:33 PM
To respond to KT's "VY could break the Madden curse", lets review what he did last year:

A QB in 15 games threw for 2199 yards, 51.5% completion rate, 6.2 yards per completion, 12 TD's, 13 INT's.

Can it get worse?

On a side note, in those commercials VY starting to get those chipmunk cheeks. He looks like Gary Coleman with facial hair.

Maybe him and Leftwhich should get together and have a "what you talkin bout willis" contest.

Vinny
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
To respond to KT's "VY could break the Madden curse", lets review what he did last year:

A QB in 15 games threw for 2199 yards, 51.5% completion rate, 6.2 yards per completion, 12 TD's, 13 INT's.

.He had a better rookie year than John Elway...you can look it up. You may also want to see how well he did on 3rd downs. He was almost unstoppable on third down situations.....other than that, yeah, he sux

Silver Oak
04-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Bottom line was that he stayed home during the playoffs, just like us....everything else is fluff.

TEXANRED
04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
He had a better rookie year than John Elway...you can look it up. You may also want to see how well he did on 3rd downs. He was almost unstoppable on third down situations.....other than that, yeah, he sux

This is a no win argument for either one of us. I could argue that VY ran for the majority of his third downs and also teams were locked in on Travis Henry running the ball allowing VY to have open running lanes. Then you would come back with how spectacular of an athlete he is and how he doesn't need Travis Henry, then I would come back with something equally as stupid to say and we would ping pong back and forth until you decide that I am not only banned from this site but the other site as well.

Then I would cry.

There are a slew of QB's who had a better rookie year than Elway, Carr being one of them.

Double Barrel
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
yeah, but Carr didn't get OROY, Pro-Bowl, and a Madden cover after his rookie year.

SheTexan
04-29-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah, but Carr didn't get OROY, Pro-Bowl, and a Madden cover after his rookie year.

Not everyone is the media's little darlin!!:texflag:

awtysst
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I wonder what would happen if Madden took a player that had a really bad season and put him on the cover. Think it could reverse the curse?!

TEXANRED
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I wonder what would happen if Madden took a player that had a really bad season and put him on the cover. Think it could reverse the curse?!

He did, his name is Vince Young.

Ya ya, he won a bunch of awards last year **coughoverhypedcough**

Mike Vick beat Greenbay in Greenbay and went on to go to the Superbowl, I wouldn't exactly put him in the hall of fame.

Fiddy
04-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Mike Vick beat Greenbay in Greenbay and went on to go to the Superbowl, I wouldn't exactly put him in the hall of fame. Vick didnt go to the Super Bowl...

Silver Oak
04-30-2007, 07:48 AM
neither has VY.

Texan_Bill
04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Vince Young IS the Super Bowl...... :rolleyes: *cough, 'yeah right', cough*