PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams update

Texans_Chick
04-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I've heard he is healthy and feeling fine.

Also ran across this silly tidbit: Texans FanHouse: Mario Williams Owns a Burnt-Orange Lamborghini. (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/16/mario-williams-owns-a-burnt-orange-lamborghini/)

Pretty random. Though didn't I recall some AP story about Williams sporting a grill at a Houston nightclub? That can't be a good look.

Somebody once tried to sell me a powder blue car by calling it "Bluebonnet blue." It was pukey looking and they were trying to get it off the lot.

HARRYJ
04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
The burnt orange is a pretty popular color with that make!:rolleyes:

HARRYJ
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.autocentrum.pl/gallery/lamborghini_uracco/001_tn_money.jpg

Texans_Chick
04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't even like to RENT a burnt orange car.

Don't care for renting maroon colored cars either.

If I'm crazy enough to spend that sort of coin, it is going to be some damn fine color. Shaq's silver one is pretty handsome.

TC
(don't care for yellow sports cars either)

Buffi2
04-16-2007, 02:58 PM
You beat me to it Harry J - but this is a picture of his car..according to this rather dubious website.

http://www.thewolfweb.com/message_topic.aspx?topic=471990

infantrycak
04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
http://img1.jurko.net/wide/wallpaper_325.jpg

It is a very traditional Lambo color and has nothing to do with burnt orange or UT.

Double Barrel
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I'd take in it a heartbeat, even if it was pink! That's just a damn fine car right there, regardless of color.

Good to hear that Mario is healthy at this point, too. Hopefully 2007 will be a monster year for him, because that could only mean good things for the Texans.

Texans_Chick
04-16-2007, 03:41 PM
You beat me to it Harry J - but this is a picture of his car..according to this rather dubious website.

http://www.thewolfweb.com/message_topic.aspx?topic=471990

Classic.

I don't care if orange is a classic color for a Lamborghini or not. I ain't driving no orange or yellow sports car. If I have stupid money to spend on a car, I'm not buying those goofy colors.

Shaq's silver one was really fine looking though. I didn't include the picks but you can find them on getty images.

Hervoyel
04-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Orange is an evil color for a car (any car, "sports" or otherwise) but yellow is in fact a fine color for some cars. The classic yellow and black Mustang cannot be overlooked and certain Corvettes are damned fine in yellow. The Lotus Elise/Exige looks like it was made for yellow (and even manages to look halfway cool in orange though I still wouldn't want one that color)

Not all sports cars can pull it off. Most of the Italian cars look like crap in yellow IMO. No Porsche should ever be painted yellow. It's a violation of some post WWII convention I believe to do so. Japanese sports cars of any make look bad in yellow as well.

Texan_Bill
04-16-2007, 04:03 PM

TC

I hear you on the burnt orange BUT what do you have against maroon??

j/k TC

Specnatz
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM

If I'm crazy enough to spend that sort of coin, it is going to be some damn fine color. Shaq's silver one is pretty handsome.

TC

Go with taupe, they say it is a very soothing color.

michaelm
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Orange is an evil color for a car (any car, "sports" or otherwise) but yellow is in fact a fine color for some cars. The classic yellow and black Mustang cannot be overlooked and certain Corvettes are damned fine in yellow. The Lotus Elise/Exige looks like it was made for yellow (and even manages to look halfway cool in orange though I still wouldn't want one that color)

Not all sports cars can pull it off. Most of the Italian cars look like crap in yellow IMO. No Porsche should ever be painted yellow. It's a violation of some post WWII convention I believe to do so. Japanese sports cars of any make look bad in yellow as well.

Sorry to disagree, but when I was in highschool, my buddy's dad had an orange '70 Mach 1 in orange w/ black stripe and it was saaweeeet.

TD
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Somebody once tried to sell me a powder blue car by calling it "Bluebonnet blue." It was pukey looking and they were trying to get it off the lot.

It wasn't a Plymouth Road Runner was it? I sold one years ago, and I've never seen another car that color on a car before or since. VERY easy to spot in a parking lot.

HARRYJ
04-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry to disagree, but when I was in highschool, my buddy's dad had an orange '70 Mach 1 in orange w/ black stripe and it was saaweeeet.

302, flat black hood with scoop, wing, that was a nice piece!:cool:

Vinny
04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
I didn't have one this nice...but the GTO Judge was one of my favorite cars of all time when I was a kid.

http://65.36.134.172/models/73133of.jpg

Runner
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
I had a friend who had a '70 Goat. Nice car. Red.

DiapHer
04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
1st car a 1976 brand new off the show room floor orange Camaro with a back fin :shades:

HARRYJ
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
And you've been "fast" ever since?:splits:

76Texan
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
And you've been "fast" ever since?:splits:As compared with your explorer, I would say, yes!

OzzO
04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
...and in other news, Mario is healthy and feeling fine.:shades:

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 08:49 AM
...and in other news, Mario is healthy and feeling fine.:shades:

Slow news day.

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Speaking of slow news days....

FanHouse: Video of Mario Williams 'Making It Rain' (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/mario-williams-makes-it-rain-video/)

I know that young guys with money want to have fun, but I can't believe that Bob McNair would be happy with some of this role modeling:

link (http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2003/08/25/story6.html?page=2)

Errant Hothy
04-17-2007, 12:38 PM

FanHouse: Video of Mario Williams 'Making It Rain' (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/mario-williams-makes-it-rain-video/)

I know that young guys with money want to have fun, but I can't believe that Bob McNair would be happy with some of this role modeling:

Well atleast nobody got shot.

infantrycak
04-17-2007, 12:40 PM

Well there certainly is a large black man in the video. Beyond that it is as clear as video of polar bears humping in a snowstorm. Frankly, I would put a giant ? next to anything posting that and associating it with Williams.

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Well there certainly is a large black man in the video. Beyond that it is as clear as video of polar bears humping in a snowstorm. Frankly, I would put a giant ? next to anything posting that and associating it with Williams.

As I said, the video purports to be Mario Williams making it rain. I don't know one way or another.

But at the same time, if you are going to suggest that a large black man is dumping money in a club, why would you say it is Mario Williams #1 Draft Pick of the Houston Texans unless it actually was? Out of all the sports figures everywhere, why Mario?

I find it believable that a guy who drives an orange Lamborghini around his college campus would also be cool dumping money in a club.

Specnatz
04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
As I said, the video purports to be Mario Williams making it rain. I don't know one way or another.

But at the same time, if you are going to suggest that a large black man is dumping money in a club, why would you say it is Mario Williams #1 Draft Pick of the Houston Texans unless it actually was? Out of all the sports figures everywhere, why Mario?

I find it believable that a guy who drives an orange Lamborghini around his college campus would also be cool dumping money in a club.

My question is why did it take so long for this to get out? This is the first I have seen or heard about this.

infantrycak
04-17-2007, 01:37 PM

It may very well be Mario, but that video sure ain't proof. As for why?--who knows, it is the internet--you can find what purports to be video of flying pigs if you want. Why Mario specifically?--because people like mocking Mario as the #1 pick. Like I said, may be him but I sure am not going to start drawing conclusions about him based on that.

Are we really now drawing character conclusions based on rich people driving expensive cars?

texasguy346
04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm with 'Cak on this one. It's almost as if the person recording avoids showing a good look at "Mario's" face at all costs. Also this "Mario" doesn't seem nearly as tall or massive as the Mario I know. Like others have suggested it seems odd that if this was legitimate that it hasn't come out yet especially with the PacMan fiasco.

Another theory that hasn't been explored is simply someone pretending to be Mario for the cool factor. There was a guy in Pittsburgh who was passing himself off as Big Ben a year or two ago in an attempt to pickup chicks. I think this is the most likely scenario. Some guy pretending to be Mario wants to look like a big shot so he dumps $800 cash in a club. PacMan Jones dumped something like $81,000 in Vegas. I'm sure Mario's got more in his wallet at any given time than $800 cash.

mootini
04-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Personally, I like my all BLACK 2005 Dodge Magnum RT Hemi. It's the best family truckster in the world!!!

Double Barrel
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't think it's Mario. It's not his M.O.

Buffi2
04-17-2007, 03:15 PM

That's just because you have a "thing" against orange cars.:joker:

This probably hasn't become general media fodder since the picture really isn't conclusive. Mario could deny it if so pressed, even if it was him and no one could really prove it one way or the other. If it was him, I hope he learned a lesson from PacMan and doesn't do it again. Grow up time, Mario and focus on football.:pirate:

Vinny
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
It would be nice if he donated that money to someone who needs it instead of being "cool" at the club throwing it to the crowd...what a waste of cash. Assuming it was real money.

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think it's Mario. It's not his M.O.

I'm pretty sure I read an article last year that talked about Mario being at a club wearing grillz that were just made for him.

It's America. He can spend his money how he wants to. Personally, I think there should be a certain threshold on number of sacks before you drive around your old campus in an orange Lamborghini, but that's just my sensibility.

The video shows a guy identified as Mario Williams dumping money at a club. Not a strip club. Or punching dancers in the mouth. Or threatening bouncers. Or whatever.

I'm sure that there are all sorts of NFL players rolling in all sorts of rigs doing all sorts of things at night clubs. And as long as nobody gets hurt, they are safe from the NFL Personal Conduct policy, though that policy is so vague I bet it is easy to get dragged into it.

I find this interesting because of Bob McNair's big time emphasis on character and role models.

I like Mario Williams as a player, and have written tons of stuff on that. I do think that this sort of stuff is on my list of things that make me say hmmm.

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Okay, this looks like Mario. Crap.

FanHouse: Video of Mario Williams Racing His Lamborghini? (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/video-of-mario-williams-racing-his-lamborghini/)

Double Barrel
04-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I find this interesting because of Bob McNair's big time emphasis on character and role models.

That's what I'm saying, TC. :shades:

Bob doesn't hire players who would do this sort of thing, so of course it's not Mario! :worm:

p.s. I know I'm getting old when grills look hideous to me, no matter how much gold or diamonds they put on those things....doubly so for women who wear them. I find nothing attractive about them...but then again, I'm getting old.

Vinny
04-17-2007, 04:19 PM
p.s. I know I'm getting old when grills look hideous to me, no matter how much gold or diamonds they put on those things....doubly so for women who wear them. I find nothing attractive about them...but then again, I'm getting old.I'm pretty sure that would not have been appealing to me as a teen....so it's probably not an age thing DB. :)

Double Barrel
04-17-2007, 04:29 PM

FanHouse: Video of Mario Williams Racing His Lamborghini? (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/video-of-mario-williams-racing-his-lamborghini/)

His voice sounds like Mario's...but the video of his face is too fuzzy to make a positive ID. It's probably him, though...and I hope he doesn't get himself killed in that thing. (The girl with him was quite annoying to me. My eardrums are still recovering from her squeals, and I think she may have called a pack of neighborhood dogs to our front porch.)

I'm pretty sure that would not have been appealing to me as a teen....so it's probably not an age thing DB. :)

Thanks, man. My 16 yo niece told me she wanted a "gree-ul", and when I asked what it was, I told her it was "grill" when I figured out what she was talking about. She said it was "gree-ul" and that I'm old because I don't even know how to pronounce it. I told her she was dumb because it's "grill" and because she wanted one. :D

Specnatz
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM

I have raced before no big deal, he is a young guy doing something stupid.

I have been on I-10 at 3:30 in the AM doing 140, so no big deal to me, but I hope he gets talked to by a vetern on not risking this anymore.

mexican_texan
04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that would not have been appealing to me as a teen....so it's probably not an age thing DB. :)
No one thinks they're attractive. Just a bunch of kids trying to show off their money.

Vinny
04-17-2007, 04:38 PM
His voice sounds like Mario's...but the video of his face is too fuzzy to make a positive ID. It's probably him, though...and I hope he doesn't get himself killed in that thing. (The girl with him was quite annoying to me. My eardrums are still recovering from her squeals, and I think she may have called a pack of neighborhood dogs to our front porch.) Looked like Mario to me....and sounded exactly like him...plus he is driving a Lamborghini (just like Mario's).

mexican_texan
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure I read an article last year that talked about Mario being at a club wearing grillz that were just made for him.

It's America. He can spend his money how he wants to. Personally, I think there should be a certain threshold on number of sacks before you drive around your old campus in an orange Lamborghini, but that's just my sensibility.

The video shows a guy identified as Mario Williams dumping money at a club. Not a strip club. Or punching dancers in the mouth. Or threatening bouncers. Or whatever.

I'm sure that there are all sorts of NFL players rolling in all sorts of rigs doing all sorts of things at night clubs. And as long as nobody gets hurt, they are safe from the NFL Personal Conduct policy, though that policy is so vague I bet it is easy to get dragged into it.

I like Mario Williams as a player, and have written tons of stuff on that. I do think that this sort of stuff is on my list of things that make me say hmmm.
I don't know what you really expect from a 22 year old, but he could be doing so much worse right now. I wouldn't even be worried about any of that, its something any average young male would do.

04-17-2007, 04:40 PM

yep, he talks about hennessey and he also says "yeah, i'm high" while he's munching on something... he sounds like he might be sarcastic when he says it.

oh well, haha.

Double Barrel
04-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I have raced before no big deal, he is a young guy doing something stupid.

I have been on I-10 at 3:30 in the AM doing 140, so no big deal to me, but I hope he gets talked to by a vetern on not risking this anymore.

You're not a first round NFL draft pick making tens of millions of dollars, either. So yeah, maybe it's a bigger deal for him to be doing this (I doubt it puts a smile on Uncle Bob's face.) :victory:

And Mario hit well over 200 according to the video. That kinda' steps over the line of stupid, especially on public roads.

If dude needs a rush that bad, go skydiving. He only risks injury to himself, and it is a far greater adrenaline rush than racing a car, IMO. But it was probably more show off than anything else.

I don't know what you really expect from a 22 year old, but he could be doing so much worse right now. I wouldn't even be worried about any of that, its something any average young male would do.

He's not just any 22 year old. He's part of an elite group of people that have the fortune to be blessed with great physical talent and a chance to play in an elite sports league. I expect more from him, considering who/what he is, than I would the average 22 year old slacker.

Compare people to the best, don't excuse them with the average. :)

texasguy346
04-17-2007, 04:54 PM

That's definately Mario. In the first part of the video he mentions the Red & White game. It looks & sounds like him. I agree with DB about the girl. Pretty irritating voice. As for the racing it is pretty dumb, but a ton of young guys do that sort of thing. I know I did some street racing when I was a teenager. If it wasn't for a close call that made me wise up to how dangerous it was I might still be doing it.

When you've got a fast car it's only natural to "see what it can do" every now and then, and I imagine the urge is even greater when you've got a super fast car like a Ferrarri or Lamborghini. Thing is there is a better & safer way to check out how fast your car is than running it on the street. Do it at a track or dragstrip where they've got safety crews there to help if something were to go wrong.

texasguy346
04-17-2007, 05:01 PM
And Mario hit well over 200 according to the video. That kinda' steps over the line of stupid, especially on public roads.

I really doubt he topped 200 mph. I know the other guy in the video claimed that he must've been going 200 mph because he was going 130mph and wasn't able to see him. I think it was just the pure acceleration that catapulted him out of sight & I could see him getting to 160 or 180 or so in that short burst after the big rig.

Still monumentally stupid, but I've done 140 or so a few times in my Camaro SS on an interstate or two. That being said your car reaches a certain limit where it's getting too shaky. Up to about 120 my car was smooth as if I was driving 70 on the interstate, but when I got above that it got more tense & felt more like a jet plane than a car. He needs to be careful, and I hope he wises up as to the danger he put himself & that girl in (as annoying as she was). Not to mention the danger he put everyone else in on that road that night. As I said in my last post there are better ways to have fun with your fast car than to play with it on the streets.

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Okay, the funniest comment on the blog post is the female's resemblance to Britney Spears. But it's not funny in general to me.

There are just so many cases of road racing ending up badly that the video gives me the heebie jeebies. I know some district attorneys that handle these cases, and they say just the photographs at the scenes of some of the wrecks will cause you to lose sleep for a while.

Awesome athletes that risk everything because of the need for speed, or motorcycling or whatever are just irresponsible. Most young guys are irresponsible, but that $$ that players are getting needs to fix that not make it worse.

I don't know exactly went on with those videos, but I sure hope that he gets a talking to by some folks with the Texans. He has the possibility of having a great career but you worry about someone having a 2 cent head with stuff like this.

Buffi2
04-17-2007, 06:10 PM
That was certainly an illuminating video.:brickwall:

I hope someone talks to Mr. First in the Draft Mario about risking not only his life and worth a pretty penny limbs but everyone else in his path to say nothing of the piercingly screaming young sweetie with him.

Maybe the responsibility that comes with being a multi-millionaire football player has escaped Mario. Maybe instead of PacMan Jones, he should remember Ben Roethlisberger who wasn't even speeding. Maybe he should also remember that he's being paid these mega-bucks because he is a gifted athlete and all that goes away if one loses control of his orange car and smashes it into little pieces.

Do I get to say, again, it is grow up time for Mario?:devilpig:

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
That was certainly an illuminating video.:brickwall:

I hope someone talks to Mr. First in the Draft Mario about risking not only his life and worth a pretty penny limbs but everyone else in his path to say nothing of the piercingly screaming young sweetie with him.

Maybe the responsibility that comes with being a multi-millionaire football player has escaped Mario. Maybe instead of PacMan Jones, he should remember Ben Roethlisberger who wasn't even speeding. Maybe he should also remember that he's being paid these mega-bucks because he is a gifted athlete and all that goes away if one loses control of his orange car and smashes it into little pieces.

Do I get to say, again, it is grow up time for Mario?:devilpig:

Heck he could go across the lockerrom and talk to Jerome Mathis. The motorcycle injury didn't break his foot, but it certainly didn't help his football career.

JustBonee
04-17-2007, 08:04 PM
http://img1.jurko.net/wide/wallpaper_325.jpg

It is a very traditional Lambo color and has nothing to do with burnt orange or UT.
About that car color - I have always called it Butterscotch. It's YUMMY...:drool:
It's just the color of a Corvette I used to drool over.

infantrycak
04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
About that car color - I have always called it Butterscotch. It's YUMMY...:drool:
It's just the color of a Corvette I used to drool over.

I actually think that color works perfectly on that car. Good call on butterscotch--I'd call it metallic butterscotch. To me there are some colors I won't consider on any but one or two cars. I had a car in burnt metallic almond (let's see who can come up with that one) that I wouldn't have put on many cars and some folks would apparently have been filled with character decisions based on it and my driving of it.

Honoring Earl 34
04-17-2007, 10:53 PM
There was a player out of San Antonio named Gabe Rivera in the early 80's .

After a stellar career at Texas Tech ... he was a 1st round pick of the Steelers .

Gabe was of to a promising start to his football career when he got into a wreck that left him paralized .

I am roughly the same age and made a comment like some here ... I said what a dummy ... he had it made and now look at him . An older gentlemen asked me if I had ever drove to fast after a wild night ... I replied that yes I had ... he told me that I had no room to talk because I had done the same thing and that I should consider myself lucky to be alive and in one piece .

infantrycak
04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
There was a player out of San Antonio named Gabe Rivera in the early 80's .

After a stellar career at Texas Tech ... he was a 1st round pick of the Steelers .

Gabe was of to a promising start to his football career when he got into a wreck that left him paralized .

I am roughly the same age and made a comment like some here ... I said what a dummy ... he had it made and now look at him . An older gentlemen asked me if I had ever drove to fast after a wild night ... I replied that yes I had ... he told me that I had no room to talk because I had done the same thing and that I should consider myself lucky to be alive and in one piece .

Great post.

If you've never done anything like it--knock away.

If you have--you ought to be saying, I hope he learns like I did or if you haven't, whoohoo.

Texans_Chick
04-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I actually think that color works perfectly on that car. Good call on butterscotch--I'd call it metallic butterscotch. To me there are some colors I won't consider on any but one or two cars. I had a car in burnt metallic almond (let's see who can come up with that one) that I wouldn't have put on many cars and some folks would apparently have been filled with character decisions based on it and my driving of it.

Character decisions?

This is how it seems to me.

Dude is a young rich guy who drove a flashy car around his old campus.

Dude might be a guy who threw money at a club. Not spit on anyone, or punch strippers or threaten to kill bouncers. All this would say about the character of someone doing this is that a person isn't afraid to draw attention to himself, like driving a butterscotch Lamborghini around his campus. It isn't a good comment or a bad comment on character, it is just a deduction that might be wrong.

Dude appears to like having a flashy fast sports car so that he can drive flashy fast sports car really fast on the highway.

This is not all he is, but appear to be aspects of what he is about.

Dude is employed by a organization that values role models.

infantrycak
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Character decisions?

This is how it seems to me.

Dude is a young rich guy who drove a flashy car around his old campus.

OK, this is going to come across smart ass, but we just have differing POV's on this.

How many folks do you know worth $2 mil plus that don't drive flashy cars around their old campuses or elsewhere?

Dude might be a guy who threw money at a club. Not spit on anyone, or punch strippers or threaten to kill bouncers. All this would say about the character of someone doing this is that a person isn't afraid to draw attention to himself, like driving a butterscotch Lamborghini around his campus. It isn't a good comment or a bad comment on character, it is just a deduction that might be wrong.

Still with the car fascination. What would have been acceptable?--a blinged out Volvo? Funny, I see folks all over Houston and elsewhere spending more money than they can afford trying to draw attention to themselves through their cars and homes--I find it hard to call it a negative when someone who actually has the money draws attention intentionally or otherwise with a fancy car.

Dude appears to like having a flashy fast sports car so that he can drive flashy fast sports car really fast on the highway.

So in other words he is a guy. Do I need to go past Dukes of Hazards for this being a normal image rather than an oddity?

This is not all he is, but appear to be aspects of what he is about.

Dude is employed by a organization that values role models.

Role models?--then you are making a judgment on his life. If you said valued their investment I would be right there with you. Heck, forward the link to the Texans because I sure don't want him injured off the field--see if they can put some pressure on him--for practical reasons, not character judgments.

jlam
04-17-2007, 11:40 PM
yep, he talks about hennessey and he also says "yeah, i'm high" while he's munching on something... he sounds like he might be sarcastic when he says it.

oh well, haha.

Just to clarify, when he mentioned Hennessey, he was referring to another car he owned. Hennessey Performance makes a really fast and souped up twin turbo version of the Viper and sells it, as well as doing the same to numerous other vehicles.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/index.php

I didn't hear him say anything about being high, but then again it was kinda hard to understand anything he said.

michaelm
04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Just to clarify, when he mentioned Hennessey, he was referring to another car he owned. Hennessey Performance makes a really fast and souped up twin turbo version of the Viper and sells it, as well as doing the same to numerous other vehicles.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/index.php

I didn't hear him say anything about being high, but then again it was kinda hard to understand anything he said.

So... you're saying he was so high on Hennessey that his speech was unintelligible? :joker:

ha ha! glad to have the smilies back, otherwise people might think I was serious!

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
OK, this is going to come across smart ass, but we just have differing POV's on this.

How many folks do you know worth $2 mil plus that don't drive flashy cars around their old campuses or elsewhere?

Still with the car fascination. What would have been acceptable?--a blinged out Volvo? Funny, I see folks all over Houston and elsewhere spending more money than they can afford trying to draw attention to themselves through their cars and homes--I find it hard to call it a negative when someone who actually has the money draws attention intentionally or otherwise with a fancy car.

So in other words he is a guy. Do I need to go past Dukes of Hazards for this being a normal image rather than an oddity?

Role models?--then you are making a judgment on his life. If you said valued their investment I would be right there with you. Heck, forward the link to the Texans because I sure don't want him injured off the field--see if they can put some pressure on him--for practical reasons, not character judgments.

I brought up the car and the money raining because I thought it would be interesting to others. And it is. Not because he was evil for owning a car or raining money on people. It is interesting to see player's lives not prepackaged by PR folk. (Personally, I don't care for an orange car, but I can understand thems that disagree).

I do think it is interesting how vague the NFL personal conduct policy is--everybody loves a policy when it applies to someone alleged to have spit on women, threat people etc, but they might not like it as much if someone gets caught up in a wrong place, wrong time thing. It grants the commissioner some pretty broad powers, and I wonder where the lines are going to end up being drawn.

As for what looks like racing and driving at really high rates of speed on a highway, I have a huge problem with that. It's stupid no matter who does it.

As for the role model thing, I am just thinking of Bob McNair's professed need for role model players. Anyone hired by the Texans knows that McNair is militant about this stuff. It isn't a secret. In fact, there are few things funnier than McNair crawdaddying a bit on his position on tattoos of all things (http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2003/08/25/story6.html?page=2).

If you work for an organization you know freaks out about role model stuff, don't race down the highway in a Lamborghini. The investment thing in him is also a factor too--I think in some ways a team should require a player to have to turn in his man card of doing stupid Duke of Hazzard stuff.

Lucky
04-18-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed in Mario after watching that video.

Eating in a Lamborghini? That's just not right. I suggest a crash course at the Emily Post Institute for Etiquette.

I think this falls into the catgory of having too much information about a player. I'm not blaming TC for posting these videos, they're out there for anyone to find. And I rubbernecked like everyone else. I'm not suggesting that Mario should be engaging in that type of behavior on the public freeways. If convicted of driving at that speed, he could get his license suspended. And should. Just that it's his business. It doesn't alter my opinion of Williams as a football player one bit.

The goods news? Mario's foot must be feeling better considering how heavy he was on the gas pedal.

Vinny
04-18-2007, 12:35 AM
As for what looks like racing and driving at really high rates of speed on a highway, I have a huge problem with that. It's stupid no matter who does it.I do too. Public highways are not the place to run around at 150 mph...not only can you kill yourself, you can kill someone like my Mom or my sister, or you or....heck, anyone...that's just irresponsible behavior.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed in Mario after watching that video.

Eating in a Lamborghini? That's just not right. I suggest a crash course at the Emily Post Institute for Etiquette.

I think this falls into the catgory of having too much information about a player. I'm not blaming TC for posting these videos, they're out there for anyone to find. And I rubbernecked like everyone else. I'm not suggesting that Mario should be engaging in that type of behavior on the public freeways. If convicted of driving at that speed, he could get his license suspended. And should. Just that it's his business. It doesn't alter my opinion of Williams as a football player one bit.

The goods news? Mario's foot must be feeling better considering how heavy he was on the gas pedal.

He takes a big paycheck from his employer, and it becomes his employer's business. It's the public's business because of him endangering other people on the road.

My judgment of his football skills don't change, but I do wonder some about his overall judgment. Same as I think about Roethlisberger. Or Mathis. Or Winslow. I'm sure any number of players do stupid stuff, but we don't hear about them.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 12:41 AM
I do too. Public highways are not the place to run around at 150 mph...not only can you kill yourself, you can kill someone like my Mom or my sister, or you or....heck, anyone...that's just irresponsible behavior.

Your new avatar is irresponsible as well. You can cause others to experience wretching and whatnot. Funshine Bear is right out as well.

TC
Irresponsibility Police:shades:

gtexan02
04-18-2007, 12:43 AM
I have to agree with TC on this one. Is he acting like any guy would in the circumstances? I dont know. Maybe.

But he isn't any guy. He, and all NFL players, should be held to a higher standard.

Lucky
04-18-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm sure any number of players do stupid stuff, but we don't hear about them.
We don't hear about the stupid stuff you or I do, either. Because no one gives a river barrier how fast we drive or how much $$$ we spend in a bar. I'm still not sure why we care about Mario's driving or spending habits.

As far as I know, Mario didn't sign up for displaying his private life on a reality internet show. Had there been consequences to Williams actions, we would and should know. There weren't any, and that's where the line of public concern should be drawn.

Specnatz
04-18-2007, 01:18 AM
We don't hear about the stupid stuff you or I do, either. Because no one gives a river barrier how fast we drive or how much $$$ we spend in a bar. I'm still not sure why we care about Mario's driving or spending habits.

As far as I know, Mario didn't sign up for displaying his private life on a reality internet show. Had there been consequences to Williams actions, we would and should know. There weren't any, and that's where the line of public concern should be drawn.

But when you make a complete fool out of yourself in front of everyone it is all out there for people to always remind you of the time you stuck your foot in your mouth or forgot to use your brain.

powerfuldragon
04-18-2007, 01:18 AM
is that a my little pony?

Vinny
04-18-2007, 01:21 AM
If you are going to drive at incredibly dangerous speeds on a busy interstate while you are being filmed by two people at once...you are open to public criticism if you ask me. All it took was for one guy to not notice a 150 mph blur and change lanes at the last second and blam....you got dead people....on film. If you don't want the public to pick you apart...don't do dangerous or illegal stunts on film.

Specnatz
04-18-2007, 01:25 AM
If you are going to drive at incredibly dangerous speeds on a busy interstate while you are being filmed by two people at once...you are open to public criticism if you ask me. All it took was for one guy to not notice a 150 mph blur and change lanes at the last second and blam....you got dead people....on film. If you don't want the public to pick you apart...don't do dangerous or illegal stunts on film.

Signed

Most Males
"at a keg party"

Lucky
04-18-2007, 01:25 AM
If you don't want the public to pick you apart...don't do dangerous or illegal stunts on film.
So it's OK to do drive dangerously? Just not on film? Does that make any sense to you?

We've rubbernecked and there was no blood or broken bones. Time to drive on.

Vinny
04-18-2007, 01:30 AM
So it's OK to do drive dangerously? Just not on film? Does that make any sense to you?

We've rubbernecked and there was no blood or broken bones. Time to drive on.
I don't exactly see where I approve driving at that speed one single time in this thread. You said, "Mario didn't sign up for displaying his private life on a reality internet show."

...and I said if you don't want us to pick it apart...don't put it out there. You telling me to 'move on' won't change my opinion that it is incredibly irresponsible to drive like that on a busy interstate.

Lucky
04-18-2007, 01:38 AM
You telling me to 'move on' won't change my opinion that it is incredibly irresponsible to drive like that on a busy interstate.
As a general statement, of course that type of driving is irresponsible. That's not the point. Why should Mario become the poster boy for driving dangerously? Because of a 5 minute video posted on the internet? Again, this is something about Mario we have no business knowing.

Vinny
04-18-2007, 01:47 AM
As a general statement, of course that type of driving is irresponsible. That's not the point. Why should Mario become the poster boy for driving dangerously? Because of a 5 minute video posted on the internet? Again, this is something about Mario we have no business knowing.
He participated in a video partaking in illegal and irresponsible behavior but you are right, I shouldn't condem it cause he's a Texan and he is our 1st round pick....his irresponsible behavior should not count.

Go Texans! I hope Mario doesn't kill your Mom tonight because she doesn't see a car going 150 mph in her blind spot.

Scooter
04-18-2007, 02:13 AM
nevermind.

Lucky
04-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Go Texans! I hope Mario doesn't kill your Mom tonight because she doesn't see a car going 150 mph in her blind spot.

Wow. I thought you were past making out of line remarks like that. "Don't get personal" has always been the #1 rule on the boards you've run. That shouldn't change here.

Take a look at the forum title. Texans Talk Football talk only please. This has what to do with football? TC posted a line about Mario's foot, and went into internet papparazzi mode concerning Williams' car, grill, night club activities, and driving habits. Is that going to be invited here? Maybe people following AJ & Dunta around at clubs and posting pictures of them drunk? Are you planning on fostering that, as well?

If you hadn't brought my Mom into this, I would have just PMed you. But, I think everyone should weigh in on this, now.

Scooter
04-18-2007, 02:59 AM
edited.

Vinny
04-18-2007, 03:27 AM
crossed the line here V. you have sped in your lifetime, and being an adult i'll assume you've had 3 or more beers atleast once before a drive home. dont start adding halos or horns.
I didn't cross any line...it's amazing you guys think like you do....I'm not a hypocrite either. I've never driven any car anything close to 150 MHP on a busy interstate. I don't think some of you guys grasp how fast and how dangerous that is.

Vinny
04-18-2007, 03:34 AM
Wow. I thought you were past making out of line remarks like that. "Don't get personal" has always been the #1 rule on the boards you've run. That shouldn't change here.

Take a look at the forum title. Texans Talk Football talk only please. This has what to do with football? TC posted a line about Mario's foot, and went into internet papparazzi mode concerning Williams' car, grill, night club activities, and driving habits. Is that going to be invited here? Maybe people following AJ & Dunta around at clubs and posting pictures of them drunk? Are you planning on fostering that, as well?

If you hadn't brought my Mom into this, I would have just PMed you. But, I think everyone should weigh in on this, now. It's not personal. It could be my Mom....just used an example. I think that people kill other people when they drive dangerous and reckless. My mom, your mom...my sister, your cousin...we are all related to someone. I don't care if it is Mario Williams or Joe Q Public....driving like that will end up putting someone at risk and the selfish behavior you guys condone just because he is your sports hero is disturbing and sick.

Malloy
04-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks, man. My 16 yo niece told me she wanted a "gree-ul", and when I asked what it was, I told her it was "grill" when I figured out what she was talking about. She said it was "gree-ul" and that I'm old because I don't even know how to pronounce it. I told her she was dumb because it's "grill" and because she wanted one. :D

That'll show her. Stupid teenagers :)

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 09:11 AM

If you hadn't brought my Mom into this, I would have just PMed you. But, I think everyone should weigh in on this, now.

The race video has been removed from YouTube. They get tons of race video but they take them off because they don't want to encourage idiots taping themselves racing on public roads.

I do think that given the new NFL Personal Conduct policy that is really really vague, and the fact that at least one of the videos showed dangerous behavior, it is football related. If one of your players violates the personal conduct policy or gets seriously injured doing stupid stuff, that effects your entire season. Lots of recent examples of that.

In other words, I am guessing this is information that his coaches would want to know about their first pick in the draft of 2006.

As for the mom comment, I didn't take it as a yomama kinda statement but rather as a way to personalize the issue of racing on public streets. Things can easily get misinterpreted in writing.

FirstTexansFan
04-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Where's the FOOTBALL TALK? All this talk about being related to each other makes me think I'm on the Tennessee MB where this is true <grin>

MightyTExan
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm still trying to get past "D.J. Lick'em Low". :joker:

gtexan02
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I dont see how this is an even an argument?

Normal people are allowed to ride motorcycles, but some NFL players are not.
Normal people can take performance enhancing "supplements" but NFL players can not.

Why is there a difference? Because 1 of them is being paid millions and millions of dollars to be not only a football player but a role model.

Does your day job put in a stupid behavior clause in your contract?
No? Then how can you compare yourself to Mario.
He was performing a risky behavior, something that is SURELY against his contract. if you want to break down into black and white then look at it like this. he was breaking his contract and risking the lives of himself and anyone on the road. How is that "boys will be boys?"

This whole its ok because no one got hurt is stupid. If I go out on 610 and drive 150 mph and don't get pulled oveer how is it any less breaking the law?
And don't give me the "you have sped before" because while I've sped before, i've never made it anywhere NEAR speeds those dangerous. And I'd be willing to bet 99% of you haven't either.

infantrycak
04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow, everyone needs to simmer down.

jerek
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
If Mario wants to risk himself and his life, then that is disappointing, but it's his business.

If Mario wants to risk the lives of others without their having a say in it--i.e. racing around the freeway at incredibly unsafe speeds--then I have to draw a line.

I don't care how much I look up to a guy as a football player. I didn't see the video and I am assuming it isn't sufficient to get him arrested, but whatever your thoughts on Mario as a football player or whether or not he should be held to a higher standard as a highly visible role model ... it doesn't give him a license to jeopardize other lives. We have laws against that kind of thing and he should be punished appropriately--whether that is suspension of his license or jail time or community service or something else.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Wow, everyone needs to simmer down.

Simma down na link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpOCxXoSAto)

Honoring Earl 34
04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
This is a follow up on my other post .

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA080605.1C.COL.FBNflores.21ff36bd.html

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm still trying to get past "D.J. Lick'em Low". :joker:

LMAO... Me too.

I have differing - conflicting points of view on this:

First, I agree with Barkley's comments years ago about athletes "not" being role models for kids.

Second, don't NFL players have certain boiler plate language in their contracts that prohibit, idiotic behavior? I would think if the commish saw any of these videos and truly beleived it to be Mario, than I would think Mario would be standing before the man.

Third, if it is Mario at the club throwing money I hope someone pulls him aside and makes him aware of the potential ramifications of those actions.

Last, Mario needs to understand the microscope he is under being the "contraversial first pick" of last years draft - and that every little thing he does will be scrutinized up, down and sideways..

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/18/sports/18texans.1.190.jpg

Look at Mario with these little kids. How can we stay mad at him? :grouphug:

p.s. I agree with Vinny about recklessness with high speeds on a public road, as well as gtexan02's mention of holding these guys to a higher standard. Just my $0.02

Yankee_In_TX
04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I've heard he is healthy and feeling fine.

Also ran across this silly tidbit: Texans FanHouse: Mario Williams Owns a Burnt-Orange Lamborghini. (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/16/mario-williams-owns-a-burnt-orange-lamborghini/)

Pretty random. Though didn't I recall some AP story about Williams sporting a grill at a Houston nightclub? That can't be a good look.

I've never seen it. I've seen 2 water skis, a lifted Black pick up, a 4 wheeler, and some times a BRIGHT green (Mustang)? Not sure make/model, we don't actually stop and stare :) It's on the way to the gym.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I've never seen it. I've seen 2 water skis, a lifted Black pick up, a 4 wheeler, and some times a BRIGHT green (Mustang)? Not sure make/model, we don't actually stop and stare :) It's on the way to the gym.

He had it in NC, and said in the video that he had it shipped there.

NC MB posts suggest that Mario has always been obsessed with cars.

Porky
04-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I think the Chronic or some publication needs to ask Mr. Williams how often he puts himself and others in harms way in such an irresponsible manner.

Texanfan4ever
04-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I didn't get to see the video before they removed it, but what it shows to me is TOTAL immaturity to not only drive that fast and endanger everyone around you, but then to make sure two people filmed it and display it for the world on the internet. Has he lost his mind?

:gun: I hope someone has a talk with him.

I want him to be healthy and in one piece.

ANd Vinny, love the my little pony avatar. I have a whole suitcase full of those if you need any more. LOL

And props to the old smilies....

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM
I think the Chronic or some publication needs to ask Mr. Williams how often he puts himself and others in harms way in such an irresponsible manner.

Jerome Solomon on his radio show said he hadn't spoken to Mario about it yet, but would be sure to.

hot pickle
04-18-2007, 02:10 PM
first off let mario throw his money around at the clubs what does that matter to us, its his money and if he wants to throw it away then let him, i dunno why yall are makin a big deal about it. and about speeding, yall are tellin me that if you just bought a brand new car, you wouldnt go on the freeway and punch it to see what its got, everybody is makin a big deal out of nothin, let the players do what they wanna do in the offseason and stop babyin them, there grown men

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 02:11 PM
first off let mario throw his money around at the clubs what does that matter to us, its his money and if he wants to throw it away then let him, i dunno why yall are makin a big deal about it. and about speeding, yall are tellin me that if you just bought a brand new car, you wouldnt go on the freeway and punch it to see what its got, everybody is makin a big deal out of nothin, let the players do what they wanna do in the offseason and stop babyin them, there grown a$$ men

Isn't this what was said after the first few Pacman incidents?

hot pickle
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
your actually comparing mario williams to pac-man, hahaha, and your a dum dude, for sayin that

Specnatz
04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
I said earlier that I have done the stupid thing and drove on i-10 at 150 mph before (more than once).

I also said I hope one of his teammates a vetern talks to him and let him know how dumb a move it is. That he needs to conduct himself better because the public is always watching.

The club scene happened two months ago. Hopefully after seeing what has happened to Ms pac-man (frogger at best), he gets a reallity check. We all know some people cause the problem in hopes of being able to getmoney from the players.

Errant Hothy
04-18-2007, 02:43 PM
your actually comparing mario williams to pac-man, hahaha, and your a dum dude, for sayin that

ok, maybe that was a little too obtuse. But I think anybody who thinks these may be the warning signs for some poor desicion making would be justified.

Anybody doing anything above a 100 on any interstate is not only taking their own life in their hand's, but also everybopdy else on the same stretch of road. I-45 and teh same as TMS, one is designed to handle cars moving at high speeds the other is designed to handle a lot of cars all going about the same speed; there is a difference.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
first off let mario throw his money around at the clubs what does that matter to us, its his money and if he wants to throw it away then let him, i dunno why yall are makin a big deal about it. and about speeding, yall are tellin me that if you just bought a brand new car, you wouldnt go on the freeway and punch it to see what its got, everybody is makin a big deal out of nothin, let the players do what they wanna do in the offseason and stop babyin them, there grown a$$ men

Did you actually watch the racing video? It probably ain't enough for him to get in trouble with the law, but it is enough to make you think that he isn't particularly acting like a grown man of any sort.

The video is back up (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/video-of-mario-williams-racing-his-lamborghini/), btw.

Porky
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM

It will probably matter a hell of a lot to you when he kills your <insert relative here >

I can't believe someone would even think about saying that is no big deal. It's totally irresponsible, and if he hit someone and actually lived to tell about it, he would be imprisoned for a very long time. As far as I am concerned, if you are going faster than 100, and cause the death of another person due to your reckless driving, I say give them the death penalty, because that is pre-mediated murder as far as I am concerned.

Specnatz
04-18-2007, 03:33 PM
It will probably matter a hell of a lot to you when he kills your <insert relative here >

I can't believe someone would even think about saying that is no big deal. It's totally irresponsible, and if he hit someone and actually lived to tell about it, he would be imprisoned for a very long time. As far as I am concerned, if you are going faster than 100, and cause the death of another person due to your reckless driving, I say give them the death penalty, because that is pre-mediated murder as far as I am concerned.

The law, correct me if I am wrong, states if you kill someone while reckless driving it is Manslaughter. Also if you hurt someone you can and most likely will be charged with felony injury to a man/child criminal neglagence.

Porky
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
The law, correct me if I am wrong, states if you kill someone while reckless driving it is Manslaughter. Also if you hurt someone you can and most likely will be charged with felony injury to a man/child criminal neglagence.

It can also be vehicular homicide, but they usually have to prove intent to kill with the vehicle I do beleive. I think the laws should be tougher on those that abuse the privledge of car ownership.

Texans_Chick
04-18-2007, 03:55 PM

I don't know what the law is on this in North Carolina. Each state has different laws, and some have laws specific to street racing. Whatever the law is on this, racing on public streets is just wrong.

I do know that it is especially criminally dumb to do this stuff with some gum chewing, cussing skankatola videoing it. He knew it was being filmed, because the pseudo-Britney in the car with him keeps talking about the camera.

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
How are some folks are going to educate their kids when they possess the mentality of "hey, I did it when I was young, so I can't say anything about it"? :um:

Let's just hope that Mario's love of speed translates to the football field when he's got an opposing QB in his sights.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I would love to see Mario translate that passion for speed to the football field..

As far as educating our children from the perspective that "hey I did it when I was young" could be a useful asset if that parent goes the extra mile and explains the consequences of doing those things and that they must be accountable and take responsibility for their actions.

texansturningthecorner
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/video-of-mario-williams-racing-his-lamborghini/

not sure if this has been posted or not but kind of scares me

Double Barrel
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I would love to see Mario translate that passion for speed to the football field..

As far as educating our children from the perspective that "hey I did it when I was young" could be a useful asset if that parent goes the extra mile and explains the consequences of doing those things and that they must be accountable and take responsibility for their actions.

yep, kinda' like we're trying to do for Mario with this thread! :user: now we just need him to read it!

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 04:38 PM
yep, kinda' like we're trying to do for Mario with this thread! :user: now we just need him to read it!

lol.... Ya can lead a horse to water, but........

hadaad
04-18-2007, 04:59 PM

I'll treat them like grown a$$ men when they start acting like grown a$$ men.
This attitude is just the thing that makes these players think they can get away with anything.
After all, they're out there putting their lives on the line every weekend for us. They're monster-trucking soldjas!
Give me a break.

gtexan02
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Lets all speculate on how this effects his foot problem too. Can't be good
:)

hot pickle
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
mario is just havin fun in his new car... and if he wants to risk everything hes got to go joy ridin then let him, everyone is actin like every player in the NFL should be like LT... like i said, LET THEM DO WHAT THEY WANNA DO

Porky
04-18-2007, 05:48 PM
mario is just havin fun in his new car... and if he wants to risk everything hes got to go joy ridin then let him, everyone is actin like every player in the NFL should be like LT... like i said, LET THEM DO WHAT THEY WANNA DO

Not when that joy ride is on public streets. If he wants to joy ride, do it on a track, that way if we have to scrape him up off the pavement, we aren't also scraping up an innocent Mother with two babies in the backseat.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM

Thats fine. You are absolutely correct.. He can do whatever he wants with his money as long as it doesn't incite a riot, which we ALL know potentailly can happen... As far as getting a brand new car and wanting to punch it, sure we've all been there - albeit to a lesser degree than a Lambroghini. If you have the money to purchase that kind of toy, then you have the money to get some private track time somewhere, free of potentialy devastating accidents with other motorists.

76Texan
04-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Thats fine. You are absolutely correct.. He can do whatever he wants with his money as long as it doesn't incite a riot, which we ALL know potentailly can happen... As far as getting a brand new car and wanting to punch it, sure we've all been there - albeit to a lesser degree than a Lambroghini. If you have the money to purchase that kind of toy, then you have the money to get some private track time somewhere, free of potentialy devastating accidents with other motorists.i'm with ya bill! :cowboy1:

Buffi2
04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
some gum chewing, cussing skankatola videoing it. ..pseudo-Britney in the car with him ....

That, TC, is priceless!:joker: :thumbup

Tale Gator
04-18-2007, 07:57 PM
This video is pretty poor quality, but it certainly shows a serious lack of judgement on Mario's part.

Not safe for work language in the video.

link (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/17/video-of-mario-williams-racing-his-lamborghini/)

Tale Gator
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Here is the car...

http://i17.tinypic.com/29dzrmc.jpg

Tale Gator
04-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Some stills...

http://i14.tinypic.com/4e1bkhs.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/42xe6b7.jpg

Kaiser Toro
04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Not to bright on many levels.

PapaL
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Kids being kids. Should he have done it? Probably not.

Hagar
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I can't say I wouldn't be doing the same thing if I had his money. I only listened/watched it once but I never heard him actually say he was doing 190. I only heard the other driver say "you must have been doing 200". Given the short distance he traveled, I find it hard to believe he was going that fast.

But what the hell do I know, I've never driven a Lamborghini.:drive:

Tale Gator
04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I find it hard to believe he was going that fast.

Well, he is driving a V10 Gallardo with 500 hp and a top speed of 195 - so let's just say he was going REALLY fast...

:cowboy1:

Bradster592
04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Here is the car...

http://i17.tinypic.com/29dzrmc.jpg

It's a nice wagon, but someone's pinched his front number plate and the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. Ewww, fancy paying all that lolly for a defective motor!!:shades:

Tale Gator
04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Fuel to the fire that Mario is a knucklehead - after the Pacman incident MW decides to 'Make it Rain' ...

Probably not work safe

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElEIPg9ejk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs%2Eclutchfans%2Enet%2Fshowthr ead%2Ephp%3Ft%3D127609)

:gun:

hot pickle
04-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Fuel to the fire that Mario is a knucklehead - after the Pacman incident MW decides to 'Make it Rain' ...

Probably not work safe

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElEIPg9ejk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs%2Eclutchfans%2Enet%2Fshowthr ead%2Ephp%3Ft%3D127609)

why is everyone comparing mario to pacman. ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE

STOP CRYING

dskillz
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Probably not work safe

To compare Mario with PacMan is silly. Especially when the Mario video was filmed a year ago. Yeah, Mario is a knucklehead. He has never been arrested, never had any trouble with the law and probably the most soft-spoken athlete ever.

So all this time when there has been balloon drops I guess you were against those too, right? It is the same thing as Making it Rain. So why are people getting pissed now? Because it is young athletes doing now? Because rappers have come up with a new name for it? I guess if a rapper comes up with it, it has to be bad, right?

The ignorance of people amazes me. Ignorance on the net especially amazes me when there is a wealth of information at your fingertips.

Double Barrel
04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
I heard on a news flash this morning that Mario issued an apology for his excessively fast driving. Apparently the tape has made the rounds and he's had to address it in the media. No word from the team at this point. I'll try to find a news source with this info.

the wonger need food
04-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Probably not work safe

You might want to get your facts straight before posting next time.... Mario's 'Make it Rain' incident happened well before Pacman did it. And Mario didn't start a fights with strippers, etc. To compare the two is probably the most ignorant thing I've read on this board.

Errant Hothy
04-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Solomon's take:
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2007/04/mario_andretti_williams.html

I've talked to many a young man after he has done something stupid and been caught. Mario is the first one who opened the conversation with the words, "It was stupid." He didn't try to explain away the details, or lie that it wasn't him on the tape or claim the footage was doctored. (The latter of which would have been an extremely logical and hard-to-disprove defense in my book.)

False Start
04-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Mario is gonna be alright . Hes just enjoying his new found wealth . Hes just doing it in a non-violent , not spitting on women type of way .

Yankee_In_TX
04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Solomon's take:
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2007/04/mario_andretti_williams.html

LOL
As for his playfully tossing money into a crowd at a nightclub, the man has the right to do whatever he wants with his money. Period. And how many of you would criticize him if he walked into a bar and told the manager to put a round of drinks for the house on his tab? That's more of a waste than tossing it to appreciative hometown fans.

infantrycak
04-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I can't say I wouldn't be doing the same thing if I had his money. I only listened/watched it once but I never heard him actually say he was doing 190. I only heard the other driver say "you must have been doing 200". Given the short distance he traveled, I find it hard to believe he was going that fast.

The other driver is lying in the video about his own speed so why not Mario's? Right before the other driver says he is going 130 mph the camera shows his speedometer with the needle about a third rotated. An Impreza WRX STi has a 160 mph speedometer.

Link (http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI&command=overview)

2BCF
04-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Would have been an interesting video w/o the white-trash girl yapping and screaming throughout it.

Specnatz
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Would have been an interesting video w/o the white-trash girl yapping and screaming throughout it.

Could not agree more.

Texans_Chick
04-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Personally, I think that is just about the only redeeming thing about the video. Otherwise it would just be a dark wiggly camera with no context or unintentional humor.

Porky
04-20-2007, 02:55 PM
The other driver is lying in the video about his own speed so why not Mario's? Right before the other driver says he is going 130 mph the camera shows his speedometer with the needle about a third rotated. An Impreza WRX STi has a 160 mph speedometer.

Link (http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI&command=overview)

So you're contending he is going 53 1/3? :devilpig:

Honoring Earl 34
04-20-2007, 03:15 PM
You know I've been fighting a cold or something ... yea thanks a lot those who come on here and post while you're sick . Anyways I wear down pretty quick so I laid down , turned on the radio to 790 and the monsters or whatever were on . They started ragging on Mario about all this video stuff and then comes the we should have took the Reggie and Vince crap ... geez .

The monsters lost a 1/3 of their listeners because I turned them off . It's been a year and I was hoping to here about this draft but NOOO it's Mario driving fast and that he's not that good and how could you pass on VY or Reggie . :brickwall:

DBCooper
04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Personally, I think that is just about the only redeeming thing about the video. Otherwise it would just be a dark wiggly camera with no context or unintentional humor.

That wasn't you, was it Steph? lol

Texans_Chick
04-20-2007, 03:50 PM
That wasn't you, was it Steph? lol

No. Not much of a gum chewer, my accent isn't that distinct and I can aim a video camera.

Admittedly, I have been known to cuss a time or two.

Tale Gator
04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Mario is a knucklehead. He has never been arrested...

The ignorance of people amazes me. Ignorance on the net especially amazes me when there is a wealth of information at your fingertips

To compare the two is probably the most ignorant thing I've read on this board.

Lol, could you two be a bit more over the top? :wild:

houstonhurricane
04-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Mario is gonna be alright . Hes just enjoying his new found wealth . Hes just doing it in a non-violent , not spitting on women type of way .

What kind of logic is that? How many people do you think he put at risk by driving like that in the middle of traffic? I'll bet if that were your spouse, parents or kid driving next to him you wouldn't have thought it was just a kid "enjoying his new found wealth." Please, that is garbage.

Scooter
04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
honestly i dont see the reason for the outcry other than mario's financial status. those speeds arent smart, that's a given, but find an annonymous guy with a video of his corvette beating another car at those speeds and it's either cool or noone seems to care. the real stupid part is he's doing so in a new car that he's unfamiliar with, had he gotten into trouble it's very unlikely he could've saved it. the worst part is he had a passenger ... at those speeds you're a biggest danger to yourself, do it alone. from all those things though what i dont see is sustaining those speeds or racing. i dont see crowded roads. i dont see an unfit car hitting speeds it's not safe at (it's as easy for that car to drive 150 as it is a sedan doing 100+ on I-10). i dont see drugs or alcohol. i dont see a crosswalk or streetlight or anything looking residential.

i see those negative things all the time by random racers and hotshots and idiots. i've been first on the scene pulling a drunk out of a rolled taurus because both he and the car were incapable of those speeds and trying to dodge traffic (the driver obviously should never have been on the road regardless). i've had my fun at exactly mario's age ... my Z28 hit 150. a young man in a car with that kind of power is going to go fast atleast once to prove to himself that he's got power (money has absolutely nothing to do with it). just my opinion, but yes it's not smart, but i dont think it's a major deal or atleast not comperable to an actively violent or malicious act.

Honoring Earl 34
04-20-2007, 11:41 PM
What kind of logic is that? How many people do you think he put at risk by driving like that in the middle of traffic? I'll bet if that were your spouse, parents or kid driving next to him you wouldn't have thought it was just a kid "enjoying his new found wealth." Please, that is garbage.

Hurricane what's the fastest that you have driven ?

Runner
04-21-2007, 02:40 AM
honestly i dont see the reason for the outcry...

Change the name from Mario to Pacman and decide how you'd feel about it. Better yet, change the name to David Wesley and Bobby Phills.

David Wesley was charged in 2000 with misdemeanor racing and reckless driving in the crash that killed his friend and teammate Bobby Phills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Phills). A Mecklenburg County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecklenburg_County%2C_North_Carolina) Police report said Phills and Wesley were racing at more than 100 mph when Phills lost control and crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a car. The report said both Phills and Wesley were driving "in an erratic, reckless, careless, negligent and/or aggressive manner", and the men were "involved in a speed competition". Wesley was also driving with a suspended license at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wesley

Oh - and I don't think he was going as fast as 180.

HJam72
04-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Actually, I wouldn't care at all if Pacman was caught going 180. In fact, I just might enjoy that. Maybe we can go another year without seeing him on the field.

Scooter
04-21-2007, 05:23 AM
i'm just going to stay out of this one.

Kaiser Toro
04-21-2007, 06:24 AM
Change the name from Mario to Pacman and decide how you'd feel about it. Better yet, change the name to David Wesley and Bobby Phills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wesley

Oh - and I don't think he was going as fast as 180.

Exactly what came to my mind. That was a total shame and probably one of the reasons why this pisses me off.

I am not a fast car or bike type guy, but I do understand there is a culture out there. They need to get it off of the streets and do it where only themselves are put in danger.

Mario, I believe has the capacity to learn from his mistakes, but he needs to learn from others as well - Mathis, Roethlisberger and Winslow come to mind. The NFL should put this in their rookie curriculum if it is not in there already.

infantrycak
04-21-2007, 09:31 AM
So you're contending he is going 53 1/3? :devilpig:

Contending--BS, observing a demonstrable fact. When the camera goes to the speedometer it is on about 60 mph right before the text comes up and says I am running about 120 mph. Anyone with experience can tell you that wasn't true at that point as they pull in between two cars nor was it true shortly before as the guy in the Subaru passes an eighteen wheeler at about 20 mph over its pace and then catches up to Mario. During the video Mario probably does blip up to 120-140 a couple times in very short stretches, but he ain't running a race with prolonged high speeds like some folks are acting.

houstonhurricane
04-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Hurricane what's the fastest that you have driven ?

Thanks for asking...maybe 90 mph and never switching lanes in traffic like that - even then, that was a stupid thing for me to do; however, I sure has heck would never have put it on video!

The point isn't that he did it and apologized - I find it incredible that some on this particular topic find it encouraging and/or acceptable that Mario did this...hopefully he will learn his lesson.

I would like to see the tone of this topic if Reggie Bush was caught on a similar video...

Specnatz
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for asking...maybe 90 mph and never switching lanes in traffic like that - even then, that was a stupid thing for me to do; however, I sure has heck would never have put it on video!

The point isn't that he did it and apologized - I find it incredible that some on this particular topic find it encouraging and/or acceptable that Mario did this...hopefully he will learn his lesson.

I would like to see the tone of this topic if Reggie Bush was caught on a similar video...

According to eSpin he can do it without even being in a car. He is the greatest thing since slice bread.

Honoring Earl 34
04-21-2007, 12:57 PM

My point is that I know what I did therefore if I call him dumb then I should say ... back when I was young and dumb I did something similar and he really needs to slow down because it's a different world now .

TEXANSTAILGATER
04-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Coming Soon To A Brass Pole Near You....

"The Annoying Skank From The Mario Video. Get Yer Tickets Now!"

houstonhurricane
04-21-2007, 06:49 PM
My point is that I know what I did therefore if I call him dumb then I should say ... back when I was young and dumb I did something similar and he really needs to slow down because it's a different world now .

I am not going to start every post on this site with "I was an ***** when..."

Mario made a mistake and I am sure the staff is "educating him" on his behavior - 'nuff said; however, it is really odd to me that so many folks don't seem to find that type of behavior inappropriate...

Honoring Earl 34
04-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I am not going to start every post on this site with "I was an ***** when..."

Mario made a mistake and I am sure the staff is "educating him" on his behavior - 'nuff said; however, it is really odd to me that so many folks don't seem to find that type of behavior inappropriate...

Go drive around tonight . I think people expect Mario to be different than most 22 year olds because he's rich and plays football .

I bet in the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's the same thing happened .

Published: June 9, 1989
LEAD: Craig Biggio, a catcher for the Houston Astros, was arrested on a in Houston early yesterday and charged with driving while intoxicated. Biggio, 23 years old, a former star at Seton Hall University, was stopped at 2:15 A.M. after a patrolman said he saw him traveling at 50 miles an hour in a 35 m.p.h.

Craig Biggio, a catcher for the Houston Astros, was arrested on a in Houston early yesterday and charged with driving while intoxicated. Biggio, 23 years old, a former star at Seton Hall University, was stopped at 2:15 A.M. after a patrolman said he saw him traveling at 50 miles an hour in a 35 m.p.h. zone.

Biggio's arrest came a few hours after the Astros beat the San Diego Padres, 3-2, for their 12th victory in 13 games. The catcher, who did not play in the game, had a blood alcohol level of .013 and failed a sobriety test, the police said. A level of .010 or above is considered legal intoxication. Biggio was released on a $500 personal recognizance bond.(AP)

houstonhurricane
04-22-2007, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=Honoring Earl 34;655071]Go drive around tonight . I think people expect Mario to be different than most 22 year olds because he's rich and plays football .

I bet in the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's the same thing happened .

Well, go look at all of the 19 - 22 year olds that are currently serving in various conflicts across the globe and have shown a great deal of maturity at ages at, or below, that of Mario. I expect all 22 year olds to drive in a manner that won't put me or my family at risk. He just happens to be famous, rich and is part of the team that we have a message board for...

However, there were a ton of nuts driving on 59 tonight, so this post is for them as well - slow down!

2BCF
04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Go drive around tonight . I think people expect Mario to be different than most 22 year olds because he's rich and plays football .

(AP)

Mario also represents the franchise, and if he had killed anyone that night the press release would begin with the franchise's name attached to it.
I have no problem with him endangering himself if he chooses, just don't put others at risk.
Take it to a closed track and go nuts.

Runner
04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Ah - those crazy kids. What a couple of rascals.

A woman was critically injured Sunday afternoon in a five-car collision in Pasadena that may have been caused by a street race, police said.

A man who was in the same car as the woman also was transported by LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann-The Texas Medical Center.

Two children, 7 and 13, who were in the back seat of that car, and three other persons, were treated at a hospital.

"We are not exactly sure what happened and are waiting for the investigation to be complete," said Vance Mitchell, a spokesman for the Pasadena Police Department.

Mitchell said the crash included two Ford Mustangs that may have been racing at Spencer Highway and the Sam Houston Tollway.

One of those drivers fled the scene in a gray Mustang.

Three other vehicles, including an ambulance, also were involved.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4738413.html

Ole Miss Texan
04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
That's really sad to hear. Just think of the horrible publicity if one of them was on a sports franchise. Especially one that's so negatively publicized as the texans and the last year's selection...esp. if it was that player that caused it. man i hope that makes sense, i think i would fail at an english class right now.

tbell ncsu
04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
i can't condemn mario for streetracing or even exceedingly speeding on i-40, or i would be a hypocrit. however, the texans have invested a great deal in him, and it was irresponsible of mario to do what he was doing. mario signed a contract, and he should adhere to that. secondly, mario should've been more considerate to his passenger's safety. she was obviously uncomfortable, and i would've let her out/dropped her off first. if anything, i would've ditched her for simply being annoying.

a couple of points and clarification:

1. the club dj announced mario is about to toss money into the crowd. imo, it's clear that mario did that as a publicity thing for the club, and it wasn't something he was doing spontaneously on his own accord. the club owner or a promoter likely gave mario that $800 and asked him to "make it rain".
2. the "trailer park trash" is indeed annoying, but it is out of line for you to stigmatize her in that manner, especially since you don't know her. she's a pitcher on our softball team, and wasn't some random "bimbo" mario picked up from somewhere. mario has been giving several people rides while he was in raleigh, and she just happened to be with him at that particular time.
3. the car is a lp640 (with 640 hp); not a gallardo.

Texans_Chick
04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
i can't condemn mario for streetracing or even exceedingly speeding on i-40, or i would be a hypocrit. however, the texans have invested a great deal in him, and it was irresponsible of mario to do what he was doing. mario signed a contract, and he should adhere to that. secondly, mario should've been more considerate to his passenger's safety. she was obviously uncomfortable, and i would've let her out/dropped her off first. if anything, i would've ditched her for simply being annoying.

1. the club dj announced mario is about to toss money into the crowd. imo, it's clear that mario did that as a publicity thing for the club, and it wasn't something he was doing spontaneously on his own accord. the club owner or a promoter likely gave mario that $800 and asked him to "make it rain".
2. the "trailer park trash" is indeed annoying, but it is out of line for you to stigmatize her in that manner, especially since you don't know her. she's a pitcher on our softball team, and wasn't some random "bimbo" mario picked up from somewhere. mario has been giving several people rides while he was in raleigh, and she just happened to be with him at that particular time.

Thanks for adding your comments.

I've talked to someone who has talked to Mario about this, and he says that Mario realizes what he was doing was stupid and recognizes what a bad situation that the joyriding was and that he knows he needs to be more responsible in the future. And yeah, the person said that the girl in the car was a friend of Mario's and not a date. He said that Mario is a nice, friendly guy and it got him into trouble this time.

HJam72
04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
So, you know the bimbo (kidding).

Wolf
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM

hmm wonder if Bush's parents or his agent to help pay for that house they were living in :heh:

Seriously I have never gone that fast (never had a car that could do that) but I have on occasion got out on the interstate and just had to see what my vehicle could do.. I heard a 2004 chevy silverado 1500 ext cab can go 92 miles an hour :spy:
all I can say is I hope he learns his lesson from mistakes that are made. That is all anyone can do in life