PDA

View Full Version : Mr Smith - Thank-you rant and other not so important information

VaBandWaggonFan
03-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Our GM is earning his paycheck...

He's pulling the trigger on deals HE (and his brain trust-how ever they are) thinks will make our team better.

Allot of ya'll seem scared / Or maybe your just used to LOSING AND COMPLAINING

I thinks the ESPN is getting to ya'll.

I believe in our Front Office. I believe they have a plan. I believe someday we will have a winner here and it's going to catch allot of ya'll off guard - not knowing what to do and who to complain about...

Also... I'm thinking Gary K. knows a thing of two about QB's. He's coaching career is going to take a serious set back if this trade does not pan out... Should it? I don't think so... Football is a risky business on the personnel side.

I think every one can agree the D. Carr needed a new zip code. This franchise is STARVING to get some respect.

I know I would like to say I'm a TEXAN FAN! with out the other guy cracking a smile -- Like I'm less a sports fan cuz my team stinks week end a week out (the nerve). (Military - Stationed in VA)

I know (Regardless of the reasons) I personally got sick of watching the Texans games and thinking MY team looks out of place in the NFL.

I got sick of the buddies looking forward to playing the Texans (NFC EAST COAST FANS) for an easy win. (0-4 against the NFC East last year)

I flew back home with a buddy to watch the Redskins come to town last year. I left disgusted I spent the time and money flying from VA to TX to watch a slaughter and listen to my boy talk sh*#.

Sad part is, I KNEW we had little chance to win the game. I instead was hoping for something entertaining. That is after all why I watch football. ENTERTAINMENT. Instead I got to pay to see a SLAUGHTER.

I for one would like to personally think the F.O. for having the guts to try and turn this losing franchise around. Thank you Mr. Smith for having the guts to pull the trigger on the deals you believe will turn this ship around!!

Thank you Mr. Smith
:wild:
Brian in VA

UHHEAVEN
03-28-2007, 02:19 PM

He's pulling the trigger on deals HE (and his brain trust-how ever they are) thinks will make our team better.

I believe in our Front Office. I believe they have a plan. I believe someday we will have a winner here and it's going to catch allot of ya'll off guard - not knowing what to do and who to complain about...

Also... I'm thinking Gary K. knows a thing of two about QB's. He's coaching career is going to take a serious set back if this trade does not pan out... Should it? I don't think so... Football is a risky business on the personnel side.

I think every one can agree the D. Carr needed a new zip code. This franchise is STARVING to get some respect.

I know I would like to say I'm a TEXAN FAN! with out the other guy cracking a smile -- Like I'm less a sports fan cuz my team stinks week end a week out (the nerve). (Military - Stationed in VA)

I know (Regardless of the reasons) I personally got sick of watching the Texans games and thinking MY team looks out of place in the NFL.

I got sick of the buddies looking forward to playing the Texans (NFC EAST COAST FANS) for an easy win. (0-4 against the NFC East last year)

I flew back home with a buddy to watch the Redskins come to town last year. I left disgusted I spent the time and money flying from VA to TX to watch a slaughter and listen to my boy talk sh*#.

Sad part is, I KNEW we had little chance to win the game. I instead was hoping for something entertaining. That is after all why I watch football. ENTERTAINMENT. Instead I got to pay to see a SLAUGHTER.

I for one would like to personally think the F.O. for having the guts to try and turn this losing franchise around. Thank you Mr. Smith for having the guts to pull the trigger on the deals you believe will turn this ship around!!

Thank you Mr. Smith
Brian in VA

Preach brother!!!:dance2:

texans83
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
good post

The Pencil Neck
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Preach brother!!!:dance2:

Every time I see you post, I think you're me.

bigbrewster2000
03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Nice job rep your way.

Xman
03-28-2007, 04:20 PM
I really like what they have done.

It looks to me like they have a 2year/5year plan.

The 2 year plan is sign short term players (plan on keeping them 2-3 years) to make the team respectable now, but not with bad contracts or sacrificing draft picks. In other words, they are signing veterans to solve the problems of the moment. Most of these guys (Black, Ahman, etc) are 2-3 year solutions. And, they are not creating major cap problems when those players have to be let go. In fact, they are "fixing" the cap issues - I don't see many remaining long term problems (maybe Wong and Greenwood). As far as trading for Schaub, Schaub was simply the best option to fill the most important position on the field with a solid player (we hope) (otherwise we would have been taking the chance on drafting QBs low (or high) and having them fail again and again).

Remaining Issues: Most of the team's holes have been filled with at least NFL type talent. It would be nice if all the holes were filled so they could draft BPA, but it is extremely difficult to fill the CB position through free agency (and OLT with anything but a stop-gap player). WR2 is also a need, but that can probably be filled at a later date (after June 1 cuts if not in draft - same with OLB).

The 5 year plan would appear to be simple - I am specualting on this based on their contract approach and talent/dradft discussions. Keep the cap clean and keep drafting better talent - hoping to get lucky enough in the draft (combined with Kubes coaching) to develop an elite talent level. Drafting to develop players to replace the stop-gap players (3rd/4th/5th rounders with 2 years to develop should be in line to replace the stop-gap players - added benefit of low salaries for starters keeps creating cap space for us). Then sign free agents to fill the holes when we can be really good.

michaelm
03-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Nice job rep your way.

BigBrew, How long have you lived in the Woods?

shanden
03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
It does seem the Texans have a two part plan.

The first two years of Kub/Smith is to take out the dead weight and dead money, draft as many starters as possible, and help hold the fort and train the youth with veterans that have 2-3 years left of decent production. The goal is to build up wins from gawd-awful to middle of the pack and if lucky even a wild card shot.

Part two is not a five year plan, its a next year plan. From the sacrifices in the first two years the shift is to get impact veteran youth players in FA that we have had to pass on before. Next year is when the Texans can play like San Fran and New England did this year and not only have every hole filled with acceptable starters, but be able to draft on BPA. Goal is to definitely make the playoffs and compete for division.

If this is the plan, then one more decent draft will set them well on their way to acheiving those goals. Not to mention the OL and DL will have had a solid year to adjust to the new system.

Xman
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM

The first two years of Kub/Smith is to take out the dead weight and dead money, draft as many starters as possible, and help hold the fort and train the youth with veterans that have 2-3 years left of decent production. The goal is to build up wins from gawd-awful to middle of the pack and if lucky even a wild card shot.

Part two is not a five year plan, its a next year plan. From the sacrifices in the first two years the shift is to get impact veteran youth players in FA that we have had to pass on before. Next year is when the Texans can play like San Fran and New England did this year and not only have every hole filled with acceptable starters, but be able to draft on BPA. Goal is to definitely make the playoffs and compete for division.

If this is the plan, then one more decent draft will set them well on their way to acheiving those goals. Not to mention the OL and DL will have had a solid year to adjust to the new system.

It might be a next year plan - as far as n two years being a decent team with a shot at the playoffs. But, to have a chance at the Superbowl - it is a 5 year plan. We don't have enough talent on the team to reach that level right now - and two drafts won't provide us with enough. We will need around 4-5 years - if we get real lucky. True we can plug holes through free agency - but those guys will eat up the cap space we are saving. We will need to bring in some talent at draft dollars that gives us a real boost. Right now we have a few really good players that can make the types of plays that win big games: Andre, Dunta, Mario, Schaub, Ryans. A few that we hope are good and can rely upon: Weaver, Green, Daniels, Leach, Pitts.
And then we have a lot that we hope come through: the rest of the OL, a 2nd WR, the rest of the D. Most teams have more talent - especially the elite teams. We don't have a Manning - only one team does - but we are HOPING Schaub becomes that Delhomme/Hasselbach type of guy. Andre is a true stud. But, where else do we get the firepower to win - we will have to draft and develop it. Our OL is at least two years away from being an average OL (it wont happen this year because everythin is unsettled - next year is the best we could hope for them to start to develop). Our D is nowhere close to an elite D (we have 4 starters that couldn't make most other rosters - CB2, SS, FS, OLB - and 2 others that might not - OLB, DT). That is a lot of holes to fill, but, we can draft and fill in through free agency. I just think it will take 4-5 years of good drafting and smart moves for us to develop enough talent to challenge for a ring. I agree that with 2 years of smart moves and decent drafting, we can be a decent team - which is much better than what we have had. It will take a few years before I start dreaming of a Super Bowl. But, the moves are the most we can expect - and we should at least be watching a decent team soon.

Specnatz
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
It might be a next year plan - as far as n two years being a decent team with a shot at the playoffs. But, to have a chance at the Superbowl - it is a 5 year plan. We don't have enough talent on the team to reach that level right now - and two drafts won't provide us with enough. We will need around 4-5 years - if we get real lucky. True we can plug holes through free agency - but those guys will eat up the cap space we are saving. We will need to bring in some talent at draft dollars that gives us a real boost. Right now we have a few really good players that can make the types of plays that win big games: Andre, Dunta, Mario, Schaub, Ryans. A few that we hope are good and can rely upon: Weaver, Green, Daniels, Leach, Pitts.
And then we have a lot that we hope come through: the rest of the OL, a 2nd WR, the rest of the D. Most teams have more talent - especially the elite teams. We don't have a Manning - only one team does - but we are HOPING Schaub becomes that Delhomme/Hasselbach type of guy. Andre is a true stud. But, where else do we get the firepower to win - we will have to draft and develop it. Our OL is at least two years away from being an average OL (it wont happen this year because everythin is unsettled - next year is the best we could hope for them to start to develop). Our D is nowhere close to an elite D (we have 4 starters that couldn't make most other rosters - CB2, SS, FS, OLB - and 2 others that might not - OLB, DT). That is a lot of holes to fill, but, we can draft and fill in through free agency. I just think it will take 4-5 years of good drafting and smart moves for us to develop enough talent to challenge for a ring. I agree that with 2 years of smart moves and decent drafting, we can be a decent team - which is much better than what we have had. It will take a few years before I start dreaming of a Super Bowl. But, the moves are the most we can expect - and we should at least be watching a decent team soon.

I would not say 4 or 5 year plan at all. With FA and the draft that is completely over the top. You are truely under estimating the value of getting certain players. A dominent LT or even even a very good center improves the line atr every position because of the trickle effect. Getting a true FS would improve the SS and even the other CB because there would actually be help over the top versus no help at all.

One other thing you have truely under valued and that is veteren leadership and depth. Both of these areas have been improved just this offseason with hardly any cap space. Unlike the cowboys over paying for a LT who is average at best, the Texans did not over pay (IMO) for anyone that they signed or re-signed.

One other thing you can not put a value on. And that is belief, if you do not have belief in the players around you then forget it. You will not be able to get anything done in a team inviroment, especially Football. Call it what you want or believe what you want but if the QB does not have a belief in the O-line he will question or be looking over his shoulder on every drop back. If the receivers do not have a belief that the QB can get them the ball, they may take some plays off, not run as good of a route or sell a route as hard as they could. You have to have the faith that your teammates can do there job. The climate of the team is a huge factor, that is why and how teams that used to suck turn things around.

The climate of the Texans is changing and now everyone has accountability.

GP
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Shanden,

You write some good stuff.

This is another well-worded post.

Keep it up. Rep coming your way.

This is exactly what's happening: Cut the dead weight, hold the fort for two years (we're in year two), and then load up in year three.

I suppose we're not going to be laughed at much in the next couple years.

Good coaching + Good players + Good luck = Winning seasons.

Houston_Fanatic
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I am very impressed with our GM and the players he has brought in. He and Kubiak are building our team into a real NFL contender.

I can't wait for the day that other teams are AFRAID to play us - not looking forward to an easy win!

bigbrewster2000
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
BigBrew, How long have you lived in the Woods?

I have lived here 19 years, you?
5 year hiatus when I was in the Army.

Xman
03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I would not say 4 or 5 year plan at all. With FA and the draft that is completely over the top. You are truely under estimating the value of getting certain players. A dominent LT or even even a very good center improves the line atr every position because of the trickle effect. Getting a true FS would improve the SS and even the other CB because there would actually be help over the top versus no help at all.

One other thing you have truely under valued and that is veteren leadership and depth. Both of these areas have been improved just this offseason with hardly any cap space. Unlike the cowboys over paying for a LT who is average at best, the Texans did not over pay (IMO) for anyone that they signed or re-signed.

One other thing you can not put a value on. And that is belief, if you do not have belief in the players around you then forget it. You will not be able to get anything done in a team inviroment, especially Football. Call it what you want or believe what you want but if the QB does not have a belief in the O-line he will question or be looking over his shoulder on every drop back. If the receivers do not have a belief that the QB can get them the ball, they may take some plays off, not run as good of a route or sell a route as hard as they could. You have to have the faith that your teammates can do there job. The climate of the team is a huge factor, that is why and how teams that used to suck turn things around.

The climate of the Texans is changing and now everyone has accountability.

I hope you are right. But, the last few years has shown that 2 types of teams are usually fighting for a SuperBowl slot: high powered offense led by a stud qb or a stud defense. The offense is easier to acquire - if you have Manning or Brady (and New England had a surplus of talent from the draft over years). I know we are hoping that Schaub is Brady (we know he isn't Manning but then who is) - and if he is then we could be possibly be there in 2 years. If not, then we are going to have to rely upon a solid offense and a great D. A great D takes no weak spots and a few stud players. No weak spots = the faith you were talking about. It lets the players make plays knowing someone else will cover for them. But, when the D is already adjusting to cover a weak spot, it is very hard for them to cover when a strong player makes a mistake.

So, what SuperBowl team could we resemble in the shortest amount of time? Carolina in 2003 (they lost but had a shot). Schaub=Delhomme; Andre=SSmith; Ahman=Davis. But our OL and D has a ways to go. We need 4-6 new starters on D with at least a couple of them being leaders (and time for them to gel). We need at least one good OL and a 2nd WR (and we will need to replace the players we lose to injuries and free agency over the next couple of years - along with replacing those that don't pan out).

That being said - if we added one really great player at a key position like QB or RB, then it could happen sooner. We have Schaub so forget changing QBs. So, if we came up with a stud RB (and I think Peterson could be one) then it gives us an edge to offset the other "great player advantage" that some teams have (the manning/brady/tomlinson factor).
Otherwise, we need really good players at several positions or a mismatch: if Mario develops and we added another stud DE maybe we have a DL that creates havoc and could give us that mismatch (creating a DL like the old Jets or Steelers).

I think there are a lot of ways to win in the NFL. But, you don't win with less talent unless you have a stud player that carries you which usually has to be either a QB or RB, or a scheme that is ahead of its time (which is rare). Kubes history has shown that his schemes can utilize the talent he has to the fullest (at least offensively) - but he has to have more talent to work with (especially on D).

Insideop
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM

Thank you Mr. Smith
Brian in VA

Wow BWF, I hope you were able to fly MAC, and not commercial. That's alot of :money: to pay to see your team get its butt kicked. Especially someone on Military pay. I agree with you about the team heading in the right direction. It's just going to take some time.

BWF, are you in the Navy?

michaelm
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
I have lived here 19 years, you?
5 year hiatus when I was in the Army.

Only actually lived here for 4 years, but I've been coming to, and partying in, the Woods for 9 or 10 years.
If you go out to any of the bars like Rookies or Mollys, there's a real good chance we know some of the same people...

shanden
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I admit the Texans are probably a bit more then three years from being an elite team like Indianapolis, New England, or San Diego (which have numerous probowlers perennially and minor weak points. Although compared to the elite in the NFC the Texans are not that far off, if the plan is executed well the next two years).

However, the Steelers are the most recent example of how a team with heart and momentum can beat the elite teams once playoff time rolls around. The Saints are another example of how quickly a team can turn around with the right combination of luck, coaching, draft/FA, and team effort.

Certainly if the Texans make the playoffs in the next two years they will not be favorites, but that isn't the point. It is changing the attitude of the fans and the players into believing that they are with a winner and that they are expected to acheive and win. Once you finally get over that loser image inertia its like rolling a boulder down hill with all the positive consequences that stem from that shift.