PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay Made Permanent

Texans Horror
03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
They've decided to make it an official's tool (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070328/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl_meetings;_ylt=Akd1z3AMIwie61Mxrd8hbdkLMxIF ). I assume this is so that they can pay for better equipment. However, I think it's a good move. I wish other sports (soccer to be exact) would take up instant replay.

TwinSisters
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
the instant replay thing is not too big of deal to me. The need is fairly obvious and the more cameras the better.

Now for that overtime and its stat, that looks like an issue that needs to be adjusted a bit.

powerfuldragon
03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
I wish other sports (soccer to be exact) would take up instant replay.

soccer needs it, but i think they're worried it will ruin the flow of the game or something. I think it could be done though, review fouls, suspect offsides calls, etc.

Trap_Star
03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
soccer needs it, but i think they're worried it will ruin the flow of the game or something. I think it could be done though, review fouls, suspect offsides calls, etc.

hmmmm...interesting...

Austrian
03-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Not gonna happen anytime soon. FIFA is against it!!

powerfuldragon
03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Not gonna happen anytime soon. FIFA is against it!!
FIFA is stupid.

Austrian
03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
FIFA is stupid.

Lol! Yeah I know. But then again, if every suspect offsides call was going to be reviewed the referees would review all the day. :dance2:

jerek
03-28-2007, 01:02 PM

What flow? 90 minutes of eighteen people standing around while 3-4 people dribble and kick a ball across a field the size of a small town.

And for the record, I'm not anti-soccer--growing up in Europe I enjoyed watching English Premier and a number of the national league, but I had to take a shot :joker:

Texans Horror
03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Whoops - wasn't intentionally trying to start a soccer thread, but I'll say I've heard rumors of leagues wanting instant replay. I think it would be good in a limited sense - if done in the way of NFL challenges - but I think adding a few refs would be better. Too many times it seems the ref doesn't make the call cause the ball just traveled a hundred yards to the other end of the field and then the screw-up was made.

But back to American Football...I'd like to see OT handled differently, too. I don't like that it feels like a given - whichever teams gets the ball first is likely to win. Maybe if both teams were given a chance like in college.

bah007
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
the instant replay thing is not too big of deal to me. The need is fairly obvious and the more cameras the better.

Now for that overtime and its stat, that looks like an issue that needs to be adjusted a bit.

Pass interference needs to be changed before anything else.

Ever since I joined this board I've been saying that pass interference is the worst call in all of sports, even when the WR starts the contact the DB is flagged because the NFL favors offenses over defenses by a very large margin.

I think they should keep the spot foul rule for serious contact, but the pattycake stuff should only be 5 yds with no automatic 1st down.

madcap
03-28-2007, 06:27 PM
the closest thing they'd use to instant replay would be goal-line technology in "soccer". instant replay/tv refs really would slow the game down, and would eradicate the need for referees and their assistents

Koolaid Time
03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
modified roughing-the-passer so that a defender engaged with a quarterback who simply extends his arms and shoves the passer to the ground is not penalized;

I like this change. There has been tons of BS calls for roughing over the years...

TwinSisters
03-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Pass interference needs to be changed before anything else.

Ever since I joined this board I've been saying that pass interference is the worst call in all of sports, even when the WR starts the contact the DB is flagged because the NFL favors offenses over defenses by a very large margin.

I think they should keep the spot foul rule for serious contact, but the pattycake stuff should only be 5 yds with no automatic 1st down.

that's actually a good point.

I wager that overtime started to tip to the offense after all of the changes to pass coverage and blocking.

I am not saying I know what the solution is. But I bet if they balanced the pass interference out, things would change for overtime. I am not sure how many teams elect to kick and not receive.