PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak comments on the possiblity of going LT in First Round

nunusguy
03-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Coach Gary Kubiak disclosed on Tuesday that the Texans may select a left tackle in the first round of the draft despite signing free agent Jordan Black and re-signing Ephraim Salaam.
Although the Texans need another wide receiver to play opposite Andre Johnson, Kubiak said they might target a left tackle because Charles Spencer is still only 50-50 to make it back by the first game of the season.

"Right now, there's a big question about whether or not he makes it back," Kubiak said about Spencer being healthy for the opener. "I think we have to operate as if he's not going to be there."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4666501.html

nunusguy
03-27-2007, 08:49 PM
"Right now, we're going to play with Ephraim and Jordan," Kubiak said. "If (right tackle) Eric (Winston) makes the steps this year that he made last year, maybe he could go over there.
And here's a significant comment by Kubiak - Winston is also a real possibility
at LT if he continues his improvement.

Runner
03-27-2007, 08:57 PM
IF Spencer makes it back

IF Winston continues to improve.

MAYBE we pick a left tackle in the draft.

Sounds like we are starting a guy who was signed for spot duty as a swing tackle back-up last year, unless the guy who was signed to be a back-up this year beats him out.

TexanFan881
03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Coach Gary Kubiak disclosed on Tuesday that the Texans may select a left tackle in the first round of the draft despite signing free agent Jordan Black and re-signing Ephraim Salaam.
Although the Texans need another wide receiver to play opposite Andre Johnson, Kubiak said they might target a left tackle because Charles Spencer is still only 50-50 to make it back by the first game of the season.

"Right now, there's a big question about whether or not he makes it back," Kubiak said about Spencer being healthy for the opener. "I think we have to operate as if he's not going to be there."

This is the first I've heard that the Texans are considering drafting a WR in the first round. Let's face it, we got a new QB, a new RB, lets give Schaub a #2 WR and our offense will be amazing. It's about time we get a solid #2 WR (I was good with Eric but obviously that didn't work out...)

Carr Bombed
03-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Tackles are so unpredictable...........

We are freaking cursed at this position....

PapaL
03-27-2007, 09:08 PM
If the line can't block, the QB can't throw, the RB cant run, and the Receivers can't catch.

Carr Bombed
03-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I guess we should start doing some research on Levi Brown

HuttoKarl
03-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Brown, Meacham, Hall, Landry/Nelson

I'd take any of them.

nunusguy
Hey Mods - I screwed-up !
Somebody already placed this story over
in the Draft Section under the title "Kubiak - #10 pick may be OL? "
Sorry 'bout that.

Caesar
Aside from Joe Thomas, there aren't any OL worthy of a top 10 pick. If the Texans take a tackle, they need to trade down and take one in the lower half of the 1st round so hopefully they can get an extra pick..

Runner
03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey Mods - I screwed-up !
Somebody already placed this story over
in the Draft Section under the title "Kubiak - #10 pick may be OL? "
Sorry 'bout that.

There's a sprinkling of what the article means to our current players too. We'll leave it.*

*Especially since that sprinkling was mine.

vtech9
03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
last year, all the talk was about QB and RB, and went with DE. This year they are talking about LT & WR. Is it misdirection, or are these serious possibilities?

El Amigo Invisible
03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
This is the first I've heard that the Texans are considering drafting a WR in the first round. Let's face it, we got a new QB, a new RB, lets give Schaub a #2 WR and our offense will be amazing. It's about time we get a solid #2 WR (I was good with Eric but obviously that didn't work out...)

Joe Thomas BABY!! Matt "Stump The " Schaub needs some protection and we can solidify our line for a long time.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
03-27-2007, 09:19 PM

don't be so quick on Levi(will let you know right now I'm a Levi supporter) but have seen posts on the MB and on combine coverage that Kub's is real high on Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame 6' 4" 299 5.15(40)Maybe think trade down get our 2rd pick back and pick up this kid.

Carr Bombed
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah why would they tell everybody that they are going to take a LT when the only one thats going to be around th 10th pick is Brown. I surely hope thay really aren't that dumb........I smell a smoke screen.

Runner
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Kubiak said they might target a left tackle because Charles Spencer is still only 50-50 to make it back by the first game of the season.

Frankly, I wonder if he's 50-50 to make it back ever.

nunusguy
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
I have no doubt that this whole story could be a Red herring, because
these guys are full of surprises.
Who really saw the Schaub move coming ? That was out of the Blue, and no
one had an inkling.
And taking Mario last year - one for the record books in Draft Annals when it
comes to stunning surprises !
I figure this story may just as easily be a plant to induce a trade from somebody below them vs. a real expression of interest in Levi B.

nunusguy
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM

I to was trying to figure out if that's what Kubiak meant, or he was meaning to say 50-50 before the season opener ?
Dang, I'd like to get a clarification on that ?

NFLforher
03-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Yeah, that comment from K wasn't reassuring.

Luv Ya Blue 2007
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Joe Thomas BABY!! Matt "Stump The " Schaub needs some protection and we can solidify our line for a long time.

So, how do you propose we go about getting him?:confused:

El Amigo Invisible
03-27-2007, 09:38 PM

I was hoping someone would start a thread.

Texas
03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I really dont know who we should draft at #10. I mean sure our O-Line is a question mark, and we could really use DB's or a #2 WR... Adrian Peterson would be hard to pass up too...Its all confusing to me but I guess we just need to continue to watch and see as the draft nears what would are best pick be! Right now im thinking Landry...

Luv Ya Blue 2007
03-27-2007, 09:41 PM
I was hoping someone would start a thread.

To be honest with you, I don't think we could give the entire draft in 07' to be able to move up and get him. JMO

El Amigo Invisible
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
To be honest with you, I don't think we could give the entire draft in 07' to be able to move up and get him. JMO

But anything is possible.

skillz24
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
If the line can't block, the QB can't throw, the RB cant run, and the Receivers can't catch.

without another reciever aj becomes no threat like two years ago, our running game gets slaughtered, and the defense has free range to trounce schuab and shell shock him worse than carr. remember this later...schaub is not as tough or as injury free as carr was, if he doesn't have talent and weapons around him, he will get killed and i don't want another 2-14 season or worse!

i say go for cb(leon hall) in round one, no round two pick yay, wr(anthony gonzalez) in round three, de in round four, o-line in five and six, and finish it out with a S in seven.

we can run a two tightend offense in 07 with bruener used as a blocker, owens as a pass catcher, johnson and gonzalez on the outs, ans green in the back field. that will put six blockers on the line three guys out to stretch the safeties, and green to grind away at the defense.

right now we have five solid o line men in pitts, flanagan, mckinney, weary, salaam. If i had my choice it would go Pitts Weary Flanagan McKinney Salaam as our starting line. Spencer, Hogden, Winston, and Black are fill-in guys for now and with Bruener as an extra piece we could limit Schaub to only getting sacked 20-30 times next year.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but no way does Gonzo last till the 3 round will be gone early 2nd

jppaul
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
:poker: Yeah why would they tell everybody that they are going to take a LT when the only one thats going to be around th 10th pick is Brown. I surely hope thay really aren't that dumb........I smell a smoke screen.

I concur. They are basically saying Carolina come and get it.

Please_Evolve
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
without another reciever aj becomes no threat like two years ago, our running game gets slaughtered, and the defense has free range to trounce schuab and shell shock him worse than carr. remember this later...schaub is not as tough or as injury free as carr was, if he doesn't have talent and weapons around him, he will get killed and i don't want another 2-14 season or worse!

i say go for cb(leon hall) in round one, no round two pick yay, wr(anthony gonzalez) in round three, de in round four, o-line in five and six, and finish it out with a S in seven.

we can run a two tightend offense in 07 with bruener used as a blocker, owens as a pass catcher, johnson and gonzalez on the outs, ans green in the back field. that will put six blockers on the line three guys out to stretch the safeties, and green to grind away at the defense.

right now we have five solid o line men in pitts, flanagan, mckinney, weary, salaam. If i had my choice it would go Pitts Weary Flanagan McKinney Salaam as our starting line. Spencer, Hogden, Winston, and Black are fill-in guys for now and with Bruener as an extra piece we could limit Schaub to only getting sacked 20-30 times next year.

Ouch. If that was the starting lineup i'd expect another 2-14 season and Darren McFadden next year for our collective suffering.

Koolbrz
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Thomas and Brown will both be gone by the 10th pick. Hopefully AP will still be there. If he is, they need to take him. He will be the gamebreaker that we are seriously lacking on offense as well as a stud for many yrs. too come. We do have Green, but honestly, we might just get a good yr. or two out of him. Might as well fill that need now!! Our O-Line will surprise alot of people this coming season. We need to give Spencer just enough time to heal. He could possibly be at the position for the next 10 yrs. Oh, keep Dayne off of our lineman. Thanks to him Spencer is out.

steelbtexan
03-27-2007, 11:07 PM

I would give Detroit our no.1 this year & next year for their no.1 this year & their no.2 next year. If they counter offered with their no. 3 next year instead of the no.2 I'd still probably do the trade.

El Amigo Invisible
03-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I would give Detroit our no.1 this year & next year for their no.1 this year & their no.2 next year. If they counter offered with their no. 3 next year instead of the no.2 I'd still probably do the trade.

Do it.

threetoedpete
03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
IF Spencer makes it back

IF Winston continues to improve.

MAYBE we pick a left tackle in the draft.

Sounds like we are starting a guy who was signed for spot duty as a swing tackle back-up last year, unless the guy who was signed to be a back-up this year beats him out.

agreed. ty for the heads up nuns.

threetoedpete
03-27-2007, 11:32 PM

You got it. Rep your way.

threetoedpete
03-27-2007, 11:37 PM

Well he's not perfect by any means. And if Spencer comes back at 100% he is only the second best lineman on the team. But...he's more than choped beef. Personally , he has the chance to be best option we've had at OLT ever. Just needs to be coached up on the post leg. They can coach that. Want Matt to succeed ? Levi is the pick.
He gets the bad straightened out..three years from now everyone will say ITYS on the guy.

bad
03-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible http://forums.houstontexans.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=644809#post644809)

The same way we got D'Brick, and Gross and McNeil.

We don't.

This time with good reasons:

First off we simply don't have the ammo after trading for Schaub.

Secondly, in terms of the talent we have, where this team currently sits in the NFL food chain, we're not in a position to be trading up. We should be trading down.

Thirdly, Joe Thomas is not a sure thing. Not so sure as to mortgage our future over him. There is only one 'can't miss' in this draft and that's Calvin Johnson, who we also can't afford.

barzilla
03-27-2007, 11:45 PM
You take the best available player and if there is no one there that bowls you over (say Peterson, Brown, or Landry) then trade down and get a second rounder.

rollinstone18
03-27-2007, 11:49 PM
I'd much rather take Doug Free in the 4th.

Salaam is the starter and Black is the swing tackle, meanwhile you coach up Free, and hope Spencer returns healthy.

threetoedpete
03-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but no way does Gonzo last till the 3 round will be gone early 2nd

That's what I'm thinking too. Once the wolf in New England snacthes his DB and o-line guy in the first...Gonzales would make a perfect toy for Brady and that passing attack.

The Pencil Neck
03-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Aside from Joe Thomas, there aren't any OL worthy of a top 10 pick. If the Texans take a tackle, they need to trade down and take one in the lower half of the 1st round so hopefully they can get an extra pick..

Levi might be gone by #10.

The Pencil Neck
03-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Kubiak waves his hand.

"These are not the players you want. Somebody sure better take Levi before #10 or we're getting him."

Damn those Jedi mind tricks!

beerlover
03-28-2007, 01:10 AM

thankyou for being honest. Levi goes sub 10th pick anyway at least though you come correct :)

shanden
03-28-2007, 01:54 AM
I just have a hard time seeing Kubiak almost overtly say what pick we are targetting without it being total smoke and mirrors. It practically begs Atlanta or Miami to grab Brown up...since Kub...the offensive guru sees somethin' special in that LT Brown.

You would swear he really does want Landry or Jamaal to fall to us, ready for us to scoop up since another rival took Brown instead.

They sure were quiet about Schaub and Mario, it caught everyone with their pants down.

noxiousdog
03-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Difference in this years picks: 1300 points.
Our #1 next year is worth no more than 500. Their #2 next year is no more than 240.

So, in option 1, you'd need the #14 overall (1,100) to make it even.

The difference between a future two or three is is roughly 125 points, so you're still not close.

The chart is your friend. (http://www.theredzone.org/2006/draft/draftvaluechart.asp) If you don't believe in it, watch the trades during this year's draft and except for the stuff at the very top (in which the team trading up generally overpays), you'll see that the trade values are close.

otisbean
03-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't understand why they don't move Pitts back to LT. Sure he struggled as a rookie, but thats to be expected. He played well in his second year there before they moved him to guard. I would at least put him in the mix.

Ryan Harris would also be a nice pick up (I am a big ND fan - he will be a good T in the league).

bigbrewster2000
03-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't understand why they don't move Pitts back to LT. Sure he struggled as a rookie, but thats to be expected. He played well in his second year there before they moved him to guard. I would at least put him in the mix.

Ryan Harris would also be a nice pick up (I am a big ND fan - he will be a good T in the league).

Pitts wanted to play LT again too but, I would think that the coaches are trying to get some cohesion on the line and it is hard to do that if you keep moving guys around. Plus we didn't take 2 tackles in the 3rd last year for nothing.

This comment as well as the 50-50 comment have been made for over 3 months now. Even if Spencer is looking good, I am under the impression that Kubiak will continue say these things so he doesn't get caught unprepared.

And that is a good thing.

kastofsna
03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
typical pre-draft talk from the head coach. i love it. ;)

real
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that comment from K wasn't reassuring.

He said he is wondering whether or not Spencer makes it back for the OPENER....

Calm down fellas....we are not going with Levi Brown.

Blake
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM

I agree. But I do think we need to get Matt more protection or weapons.

Meloy
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I will be stunned if we take Brown @ 10. Unless AP or Thomas is there I expect a defensive player to be selected barring a trade down. We will not see a receiver selected until 3rd round imo. If we get a second and Staley is available, maybe just maybe. I think we go with the Oline we have signed. Not endorsing just commenting.

HuttoKarl
03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
There could be soooo much misdirection/smoke and mirrors in that statement.

Perhaps Spencer is ready but he's not willing to let other teams figure that out.

Maybe he's talking up Levi so others start saying...hmmm...Levi Brown's pretty good...we could use a LT.

The one thing that's hard for me to imagine is that after Peterson's combine, he keeps dropping further and further on these mock drafts.

I seriously can't see him there at 10. If he is, fantastic...we should get him and dump any RB not named Ahman or Dayne.

real
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree. But I do think we need to get Matt more protection or weapons.

I'd agree with that as well...

But IMHO, that help is going to come in the form of interior lineman...

I can definitely see us drafting a center or gaurd or both in the upcoming draft...

Tackle....Not so much....

Atleast not at ten....

nunusguy
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Agreed - I doubt we draft Brown either.
But in the event we would draft him, IMO Kubiak is basically saying he's now convinced that Spencer "won't" make it back - ever.

Blake
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I'd agree with that as well...

But IMHO, that help is going to come in the form of interior lineman...

I can definitely see us drafting a center or gaurd or both in the upcoming draft...

Tackle....Not so much....

Atleast not at ten....

Why dont we trade down and select a Blalock and try to recoup some of our looses in draft picks?

Or we could get a player like Michael Griffin

Ok, so I live in Austin, and watched every longhorn game so I might be a little biased, but I know a good player when I see one, and these 2 guys are studs.

real
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Why dont we trade down and select a Blalock and try to recoup some of our looses in draft picks?

Or we could get a player like Michael Griffin

Ok, so I live in Austin, and watched every longhorn game so I might be a little biased, but I know a good player when I see one, and these 2 guys are studs.

I would not be opposed to this starting line-up for us next year with a trade down:

Spencer--Pitts--Weary--Blaylock--Winston

With your quality depth being:

Black--McKinney--Flannagan--Hogdon(???)--Salaam

Bluedog
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
First time to this site, but in my opinion I see us taking Leon Hall in the first (hopefully by a trade down). Third rd mabey safty John Wendling or de Dan Bazuin. 4th gaurds Yanda, Beekman, or Alleman. 5th center Dan Mozes? 6th wr David Ball. 7th ot Mike Otto?

I feel theese linemen would fit our scheme.

As you can see I like acomplished college players, and most of these guys are, but worries are that it won't transfer to the NFL. Any thoughts?

prostock101
03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Sez he's seriously considering taking an OT with the 10th pick. His take on Spencer is that he's 50/50 on being back by camp. My vote would be Landry but he probably will not be on the board. That would mean taking Levi Brown. Also need another WR. Said he's going to give Walter a shot but I'd think they'd look hard at a WR in the 3rd round. Anyone think Brown can be a starter at LT?

Yep.......still a genius! :joker: :joker: :joker:

michaelm
03-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Sez he's seriously considering taking an OT with the 10th pick. His take on Spencer is that he's 50/50 on being back by camp. My vote would be Landry but he probably will not be on the board. That would mean taking Levi Brown. Also need another WR. Said he's going to give Walter a shot but I'd think they'd look hard at a WR in the 3rd round. Anyone think Brown can be a starter at LT?

Posted yesterday in the NFL Draft forum...
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=37584

Merge...

El Tejano
03-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Well if Kubes does it is only because he is a smarter coach than anything we had before. I wont think it is the sexiest pick but I will give Kubes respect for doing something to take care of a 6 year pain.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
03-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Sometimes you have to burn that 1st round pick on a lineman.

The Oilers did it many times...

Steinkuhler
Matthews
Childress

hadaad
03-28-2007, 05:37 PM

THANK GOODNESS!

TexanPride05
03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
I hope we can get him, and get some protection finally

markn
03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Unless Spencer has made a huge step towards full recovery prior to the draft, I expect the Texans to pick Levi Brown at 10. Leaving Schaub unprotected in his first full-season is the kind of déjà vu vue all over again that would get the media smacking their lips at the terminal ineptitude of this franchise.

So, as well as passing on Bush and Young, giving away the house for Buchanon, you destroyed the careers of David Carr and Matt Schaub?

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

I don't believe OLT is an absolute neccessity for our first pick, but I simply can't see the FO doing anything else with the ramifications of failing another young quarterback hanging over their heads. And even if Spencer eventually makes a full recovery, it won't be a wasted move because he can play elsewhere along the line, and in Brown, Spencer and Winston you'd have the making of an OL that could last a decade freeing the FO to focus on other areas in future drafts and FAs.

Kubiak is going to give Schuab every possible chance to succeed, and he knows that has to start with the Texans having a viable LT for the first time in franchise history.

TaylorFan27
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Unless Spencer has made a huge step towards full recovery prior to the draft, I expect the Texans to pick Levi Brown at 10. Leaving Schaub unprotected in his first full-season is the kind of déjà vu vue all over again that would get the media smacking their lips at the terminal ineptitude of this franchise.

So, as well as passing on Bush and Young, giving away the house for Buchanon, you destroyed the careers of David Carr and Matt Schaub?

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

I don't believe OLT is an absolute neccessity for our first pick, but I simply can't see the FO doing anything else with the ramifications of failing another young quarterback hanging over their heads. And even if Spencer eventually makes a full recovery, it won't be a wasted move because he can play elsewhere along the line, and in Brown, Spencer and Winston you'd have the making of an OL that could last a decade freeing the FO to focus on other areas in future drafts and FAs.

Kubiak is going to give Schuab every possible chance to succeed, and he knows that has to start with the Texans having a viable LT for the first time in franchise history.

When an NFL team says a player is 50/50, it usually means more like 10/90. Spencer suffered the same type of injury that Prothro did in Alabama. Tyrone's never getting back to 100%, so why should we expect Spencer to?

real
03-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I find it hilarious that we are worried about protecting Schaub in his first year as a Texan, yet we are clamouring to reach for a rookie with mixed reviews who many are projecting as a RT....

D'Brick is much better than Levi IMO, and he gave up 10 sacks last year...

Levi is not all that, IMO.

real
03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
When an NFL team says a player is 50/50, it usually means more like 10/90. Spencer suffered the same type of injury that Prothro did in Alabama. Tyrone's never getting back to 100%, so why should we expect

This is what I call selective reading....

You guys keep focusing on the 50/50 part, yet simply skip over the part where he says "for the opener"...

His comments were that he's 50/50 to be back for the opener, not 50/50 to ever play again.....

TaylorFan27
03-28-2007, 06:01 PM

You guys keep focusing on the 50/50 part, yet simply skip over the part where he says "for the opener"...

His comments were that he's 50/50 to be back for the opener, not 50/50 to ever play again.....

understood. just look at Prothro. Spencer will never be back at 100%. I'd like him to, but it just seems unlikely. Wishful thinking by the Texans, if you ask me.

jopatmc
03-28-2007, 06:11 PM
What reason would Kubes have to come out this far ahead of the draft and announce we may be taking an offensive tackle. It makes no sense except to stir the waters to get somebody to trade up with us for the #10 pick.

Runner
03-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Call it a lesson learned from listening to him during the Dominick Davis debacle of last year. I for one don't want to relive the mad scramble for a key player at the start of the season again. I hope Kubiak has learned too and is looking at options.

For the record, I doubt Spencer plays again. If he does, he'll be a shadow of what we saw as his potential last year.

nunusguy
03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
If he does, he'll be a shadow of what we saw as his potential last year.
Mobility would be the biggest issue and therefor might lead us to conclude his best chance for ever making a contribution again as an NFL caliber level talent would only be on the inside as a guard ?
Which still leaves us in the market for a front-line LT.

beerlover
03-28-2007, 07:44 PM
my biggest concern would be his timetable. these things take up to two years given even the best of circumstances. its a damn shame & we all wish him the best in his recovery but do we want to leave our new 48 million dollar man possibly unprotected :confused:

thunderkyss
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
my biggest concern would be his timetable. these things take up to two years given even the best of circumstances. its a damn shame & we all wish him the best in his recovery but do we want to leave our new 48 million dollar man possibly unprotected :confused:

unprotected??

Seriously, Salaam may not be a probowler, but he can still play the game. Not only that, but I think our coach thought wisely enough to draft two guys capable of playing left tackle in the nfl in last years draft.

He threw Spencer into the fire, and brought Winston along slowly as they like to do in Denver.

If you can, go back & watch our game in Nashville. Winston filled in for Salaam for something like 6 plays, and he looked pretty good. Much better than any of our LTs in '06. I understand it was only six plays, and he looked suspect on the right side, but for all we know, he just wasn't used to playing on the right side.

With another off-season with Sherman & Kubiak, he may very well be capable to start on the left side.

Jordan Black is not really an option for the right side... not from what I've seen. He's a RT, and most likely was signed to play RT, move Winston to the Left, and Salaam can be our swing tackle.

TaylorFan27
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
unprotected??

Seriously, Salaam may not be a probowler, but he can still play the game. Not only that, but I think our coach thought wisely enough to draft two guys capable of playing left tackle in the nfl in last years draft.

He threw Spencer into the fire, and brought Winston along slowly as they like to do in Denver.

If you can, go back & watch our game in Nashville. Winston filled in for Salaam for something like 6 plays, and he looked pretty good. Much better than any of our LTs in '06. I understand it was only six plays, and he looked suspect on the right side, but for all we know, he just wasn't used to playing on the right side.

With another off-season with Sherman & Kubiak, he may very well be capable to start on the left side.

Jordan Black is not really an option for the right side... not from what I've seen. He's a RT, and most likely was signed to play RT, move Winston to the Left, and Salaam can be our swing tackle.

I like the idea of Winston moving to left. I think he'll work his way over there throughout the course of TC. I like Staley and Black at the right side. Let's hope we draft him.

thunderkyss
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
I like the idea of Winston moving to left. I think he'll work his way over there throughout the course of TC. I like Staley and Black at the right side. Let's hope we draft him.

In all reality, if Winston does move to LT, Spencer will be our RT once he's healthy enough to play, until then, Jordan Black will play RT, where he's been playing with the exception of last year.

Texans_Chick
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Various thoughts about the article.

This is what it says:

McClain says the Texans could take left tackle with the first round pick.

Kubiak never says that. In fact, within the quotes of the article, Kubiak says the typical pretty vague stuff:

"There's a good chance; it depends on who's out there," Kubiak said about the possibility of selecting an offensive tackle. "We have to continue to improve up there."

Doesn't say anything about the first round.

"I think you can put that (receiver) right up there with offensive tackle — that's our two biggest needs on offense," Kubiak said. "We need to develop a couple of wide receivers.

Well yeah.

And this says nothing about the biggest needs on DEFENSE, which is also something that could be picked in the draft with the first pick.

And Smith has made a point that the Texans are looking for BPAs.

And how about this say nothing quote:

"We think it's 50-50 that he does make it back," Kubiak said at the NFL spring meetings. "If he does, we'll feel very good. If not, we'll have an issue on that side that we'll have to address in the draft or find a way to make it work with Ephraim or Jordan.

"We've improved there, but we still have to improve a great deal. Solidifying left tackle for a long, long time is the key."

The news that the Texans will not assume that medically a player will come back 100% is not news. Kubiak made a big point of that at the end of last season--that they are going to make the assumption that players will not be back, and if they come back it is gravy.

So, basically, this is a no news story that is made into a news story because it mentions Levi Brown. The Texans need better play from the tackle position. No duh.

It always was stunning to me to read Texans press conferences, and to see the angles of the stories coming from the press conferences. Either AP or Chronic stories. That's why I always like reading the actual pressers.

No press conference related to this, but I don't care for stories where the quotes don't match up with the promise in the headline.

threetoedpete
03-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I find it hilarious that we are worried about protecting Schaub in his first year as a Texan, yet we are clamouring to reach for a rookie with mixed reviews who many are projecting as a RT....

D'Brick is much better than Levi IMO, and he gave up 10 sacks last year...

Levi is not all that, IMO.

We're not in a position to draft D'brickashaw this year. But we are in a position to take Levi Brown. And it is a much easier reach for me than Jamall Brown and Marcus McNeil of the past. I can except his warts. He's not bust proof. But under these circumstances, with the guy on the board, and our history at the postion, I think the term "Reach" is a bit relative and juvinile at this point in the franchises history. Don't you ?

threetoedpete
03-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Various thoughts about the article.

So, basically, this is a no news story that is made into a news story because it mentions Levi Brown. The Texans need better play from the tackle position. No duh.

It always was stunning to me to read Texans press conferences, and to see the angles of the stories coming from the press conferences. Either AP or Chronic stories. That's why I always like reading the actual pressers.

No press conference related to this, but I don't care for stories where the quotes don't match up with the promise in the headline.

It made a damed good lay out for a front page devoid of any substance. I got it. But I can dream can't I ?