PDA

View Full Version : C.C Brown Vs. Glenn Earl

real
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/35/358557.jpg VS. http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2006/10/01/br-16452.jpg

I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but seeing that the draft is around the corner, and most(if not all) are hoping for a new FS, I thought I'd bring it back up. IMO, both of these guys are strong safeties, and neither is suited to play the Free.

Here are C.C's career stats:

2005: 79 Tackles, 1 int, 1 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552455)
2006: 76 Tackles, 1 int, 4 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 1 sack (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552455)

Here are Earl's career stats:

2004: 44 Tackles (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492927)
2005: 35 Tackles, 2 Int, 3 pass deflections (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492927)
2006: 74 Tackles, 1 int, 3 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 2 sacks (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492927)

I remember C.C's rookie year, he lead the team in tackles through a good portion of the beggining of the season. I really liked C.C as a rookie playing SS. Of course he made rookie mistakes, but I thought he was very active and had good instincts at the position. He was also, IMO, very fast to the ball carrier. Originally I think I may have wanted Earl to play the position, but thinking about it, I'd rather have C.C start at the Strong Safety position. He's not as big as Earl, but he hits just as hard. I don't have their actual 40 times, but to me it seems as if C.C plays faster. I also like how C.C plays around the line of scrimmage.

Who would you rather start ?

HOU-TEX
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Good thread for discussion. IMO, it's a toss up. I think they're similar in the way they play. Although I voted for Earl, they both have decent ability to play the position. Earl just seems to lay the wood a little harder than C.C.:)

Navy_Chris
03-27-2007, 11:59 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/35/358557.jpg VS. http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2006/10/01/br-16452.jpg

I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but seeing that the draft is around the corner, and most(if not all) are hoping for a new FS, I thought I'd bring it back up. IMO, both of these guys are strong safeties, and neither is suited to play the Free.

Here are C.C's career stats:

2005: 79 Tackles, 1 int, 1 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552455)
2006: 76 Tackles, 1 int, 4 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 1 sack (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552455)

Here are Earl's career stats:

2004: 44 Tackles (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492927)
2005: 35 Tackles, 2 Int, 3 pass deflections (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492927)
2006: 74 Tackles, 1 int, 3 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 2 sacks (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492927)

I remember C.C's rookie year, he lead the team in tackles through a good portion of the beggining of the season. I really liked C.C as a rookie playing SS. Of course he made rookie mistakes, but I thought he was very active and had good instincts at the position. He was also, IMO, very fast to the ball carrier. Originally I think I may have wanted Earl to play the position, but I thinking about it, I'd rather have C.C start at the Strong Safety position. He's not as big as Earl, but he hits just as hard. I don't have their actual 40 times, but to me it seems as if C.C plays faster. I also like how C.C plays around the line of scrimmage.

Who would you rather start ?

I'm in favor of moving Glenn Earl and starting him at FS. That's where he played at ND if I'm not mistaken. C.C. should provide depth at SS. If I'm the Texans I'm drafting Aaron Rouse in the 3rd round and letting Rouse battle it out with C.C. in Training Camp.

real
03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Good thread for discussion. IMO, it's a toss up. I think they're similar in the way they play. Although I voted for Earl, they both have decent ability to play the position. Earl just seems to lay the wood a little harder than C.C.:)

So far it seems as if I'm the only one who likes C.C...

I really don't think it's fair to judge him from this last year because he was playing out of position IMO. IMHO, I think C.C played better or just as good at SS his rookie year that Glen Earl played this past year.

Wouldn't be upset with either, but I think C.C has a chance to be a darn good SS. JMO

Texan_Bill
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I went with CC Brown, but really I can't pin point why... I mean its a toss up as far as I'm concerned.... Maybe because of the story I saw about him when he was being drafted and his duty with the National Guard...

Texan_Bill
03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I voted... but for the wrong guy... Signing off now to drink some coffee.

hadaad
03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Glenn Earl! WOO! Earl all the way!

B.Diddy
03-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I have to go with Gleen Earl after he Posterized Shockey

texans83
03-27-2007, 12:33 PM
I picked C.C. baby, I say give him the chance and draft a free saftey. I agree with you on the fact that I dont think either one can really play free.

real
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm not going to lie...

That was a really nice hit.....Good payback for how Shockey did us in the pre-season his rookie year...

thunderkyss
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I like CC at Free Safety. Show me 5 FS with better stats...

He's still young, his DC didn't know what he was doing, his DL didn't know what they were doing, His corners sure as heck didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not saying CC was the only one on the team who knew what he was doing, but I'd totally understand if Smith gets us a CB in the first round, and not a FS.

O.G.
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Exactly.....Shockey got JACKED UP! Love that more so since for the longest of times, the kept replaying when Shockey ran over several Texans his rookie year.

cuzof26
03-27-2007, 12:49 PM
i agree with you kiss...although i have to stay loyal to my earl moniker, i keep hearing (from 26) that safety is an issue but the real help they need is up front. I agree both are ss playing fs, but help up front would make a significant difference for both players---vote earl

real
03-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Making this thread was the first time I actually looked at our safeties stats...

They actually both had quite a few tackles...Both had Sacks, Int's, and Forced fumbles....

But I still don't like C.C at the free....I don't like his pass coverage skills...He's not really the ball-hawking type I would like to have back there...

But you're absolutely right about the cornerback position...If we went Leon Hall or Chris Houston in the first I wouldn't be mad at that at all...

Though everyone probably knows I'd prefer the Mayor of Hit City.

texans83
03-27-2007, 12:55 PM
ok I have a question. What if we do pick Hall or a stud corner do you think we can move Flanagan(how ever you spell it) to free safety until say a rookie that we draft later (second day or something) can fill in. Im just wondering I know that the corner position is much harder to play then say the free safety IMO.

thunderkyss
03-27-2007, 01:05 PM
ok I have a question. What if we do pick Hall or a stud corner do you think we can move Flanagan(how ever you spell it) to free safety until say a rookie that we draft later (second day or something) can fill in. Im just wondering I know that the corner position is much harder to play then say the free safety IMO.

Faggan's??

I'd still prefer CC to Faggans as a safety. Now Dunta, I'll take Dunta as a safety over CC.

Bubbajwp
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
IMO its Glenn Earl's spot to lose.

real
03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
IMO its Glenn Earl's spot to lose.

I dunno...

I'm thinking they put C.C at Free because he's slightly smaller, and probably a bit better at playing deep than Earl although that's not saying much...

I have no idea what the Texans are going to do next, but my guess is that they are going to do like TKyss mentioned, and draft a corner in the first round...

But if they did draft a safety, I dunno that that spot will be Earls to lose...He wasn't any better than C.C last year IMO...

Bubbajwp
03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I dunno...

I'm thinking they put C.C at Free because he's slightly smaller, and probably a bit better at playing deep than Earl although that's not saying much...

I have no idea what the Texans are going to do next, but my guess is that they are going to do like TKyss mentioned, and draft a corner in the first round...

But if they did draft a safety, I dunno that that spot will be Earls to lose...He wasn't any better than C.C last year IMO...

Im not saying that C.C wouldnt earn the spot before preseason ended because I think their is a good chance that he would. For some reason I cant really explain why I just would.

bigbrewster2000
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM

He's still young, his DC didn't know what he was doing, his DL didn't know what they were doing, His corners sure as heck didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not saying CC was the only one on the team who knew what he was doing, but I'd totally understand if Smith gets us a CB in the first round, and not a FS.

And to add to this post C.C. didn't know what he was doing:jk: I don't know it isn't really about stats as much as it was C.C> was caught out of position alot last year in coverage and pretty consistenly got fooled by play action:twocents:

*edit*
Plus my avatar told me so.

yourfavoritetexan42
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Brown throws his body into tackles, and I desire his heart, but he isn't strong enough sometimes to take down and I see a lot of broken tackles on him. He is a little faster but he isn't as coordinated and discipline.

Earl plays with more discipline and he makes tackles, he plays very fast and creates more turnovers (had 2 interceptions this season on top of a fumble (one int called back)) plus it's not just the amount of tackles earl has, but where and how his tackles are made, he isn't chasing, he usually is meeting closer to the line of scrimmage, which is what you want in a strong safety. Earl needs to get a little quicker and be more of a student of the game, and I think he will be a fine starter for years to come for us.

So my pick, Glenn Earl, but we should keep CC Brown for depth.

thunderkyss
03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
And to add to this post C.C. didn't know what he was doing:jk: I don't know it isn't really about stats as much as it was C.C> was caught out of position alot last year in coverage and pretty consistenly got fooled by play action:twocents:

*edit*
Plus my avatar told me so.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Our secondary bites on play action, because that is how we stop the run. With Dunta, Earl, & CC... until our front seven (which did much better at the end of last year, than they have since we lost sharper & before Wong's injury) can stop the run without as much support as our secondary has had to provide, our secondary is going to look bad.

They all bite on play action way too much, Dunta, Glenn, CC, Faggin's... all of them.

& the times people like to blame on CC, the two Lee Evans 83 yard TD passes...... CC wasn't even on the play, and wasn't supposed to be. He was on a blitz the first time, and he wasn't on the field the second.

thunderkyss
03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Brown throws his body into tackles, and I desire his heart, but he isn't strong enough sometimes to take down and I see a lot of broken tackles on him. He is a little faster but he isn't as coordinated and discipline.

After watching the Texans last year, I'm convinced size don't matter, as long as they use sound tackling techniques..... from Dunta to 'Meco, to Faggins, I'm wathching these little guys tackle Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Shockey, Corey Dillon....... sound technique.

cuzof26
03-27-2007, 02:19 PM
right on the money kyss:wild: ----untill the problem up front(lack of penetration) is fixed; both safeties will look very suspect more often than not...i know i don't catch all the games but the ones i do, i see cc biting very hard and very often on the pa. just my :twocents:

real
03-27-2007, 02:25 PM
I think a lot of you ONLY thinking about CC at FS, and using what he did this past year as a barometer...

IMO, Glen Earl would have been much worse than C.C back there. He's not as fluid as C.C is...

I don't know if it's just selective memory or what but C.C was actually one of the bright spots on our defense from the '05 season...

TexanAddict
03-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I voted for Earl, but I could just as easily see CC at the SS spot. Should we bring in an actual FS before training camp, the battle between Earl and Brown for SS would be a good one.

real
03-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I honestly see C.C as a poor mans Polumalu...

thunderkyss
03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I think a lot of you ONLY thinking about CC at FS, and using what he did this past year as a barometer...

IMO, Glen Earl would have been much worse than C.C back there. He's not as fluid as C.C is...

I don't know if it's just selective memory or what but C.C was actually one of the bright spots on our defense from the '05 season...

I voted for CC to even the numbers up a little bit. But I like Earl at SS. & I like CC at FS. If I had to chose, I'd start Earl at SS, and CC at FS.

Dallas_Texan
03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Making this thread was the first time I actually looked at our safeties stats...

They actually both had quite a few tackles...Both had Sacks, Int's, and Forced fumbles....

But I still don't like C.C at the free....I don't like his pass coverage skills...He's not really the ball-hawking type I would like to have back there...

But you're absolutely right about the cornerback position...If we went Leon Hall or Chris Houston in the first I wouldn't be mad at that at all...

Though everyone probably knows I'd prefer the Mayor of Hit City.

I think it makes more sense to go WR in the 1st (Jarrett), and then go Damien Hughes at Corner in the third. Hughes is potentially one of the best Corners in the draft, he just has combine numbers dragging him down. But he would make one helluva duo with Dunta. Then the FS is just a bonus. (Not to mention Aaron Rouse should be available at FS in the 4th!!)

---But back to topic, I like Earl at SS, but swapping Earl/Brown during the game might keep the big hits coming!!--- I want to see Earl on Jacked Up again next year!!

real
03-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I voted for CC to even the numbers up a little bit. But I like Earl at SS. & I like CC at FS. If I had to chose, I'd start Earl at SS, and CC at FS.

I kind of want to go with this line of thinking...

I'd love to think of our secondary as being a CB short of being solidified...

But I just don't like C.C playing deep for us...

AggieTexanFan
03-27-2007, 03:19 PM
talk about biting on PA, remember the Eagles game and the famed Andy Reid "watch this" play

Earl lays the wood and thats what I perfer in the SS position, they are suppose to help in the running game and I believe Earl does that better then CC

CC had 1 good game last year as I remember it and that was against the Browns, so I don't know if that even counts, but I will say his play in that crappy game allowed us to come out on top

I like CC but I like Earl more

Scooter
03-27-2007, 03:37 PM

stats be damned. CC brown is not a very good free safety. we spent all season on defense and earl wasnt an option in coverage, of course CC got some stats. i'd love for brown to replace earl in an honest strong safety competition because he's almost as strong in the box and much better in coverage. brown isnt nearly as instinctive as earl, but he's more experienced in coverage and that makes him much less of a liability in our weakness. as it stands now though, earl is more instinctual and more familiar with the role being asked. it's a bad and rough comparrison, but earl is much more john lynch than brown, what we're missing is the centerfielder to compliment the "punt block pass rush" and cover our short/intermediate zone strengths at cornerback. earl's the man, but brown has more potential if we get a real free safety.

rmartin65
03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I like Brown better. He seems to be around the ball more. Maybe not as good in coverage, but he is very physical from what I have seen.

real
03-27-2007, 04:25 PM
stats be damned. CC brown is not a very good free safety. we spent all season on defense and earl wasnt an option in coverage, of course CC got some stats. i'd love for brown to replace earl in an honest strong safety competition because he's almost as strong in the box and much better in coverage. brown isnt nearly as instinctive as earl, but he's more experienced in coverage and that makes him much less of a liability in our weakness. as it stands now though, earl is more instinctual and more familiar with the role being asked. it's a bad and rough comparrison, but earl is much more john lynch than brown, what we're missing is the centerfielder to compliment the "punt block pass rush" and cover our short/intermediate zone strengths at cornerback. earl's the man, but brown has more potential if we get a real free safety.

I would have to say I pretty much 100% agree with this post...

blockhead83
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
This is close to a toss up for me as well. Glenn Earl is good against the run, but I get the feeling from watching them play that CC plays with more athleticism. The problem with CC is he often looks lost in coverage, but as a SS that'd be less of a weakness. Maybe we should draft a true FS and let the best man win the SS spot in camp....:evilb:

RTP2110
03-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Well Brown got a little less toasted by Harrison. I'll vote Brown.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/RayThaPymp/PDVD_002.jpg

Carr Bombed
03-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Thats wrong, I saw that live LOL

sleepwalker
03-27-2007, 08:47 PM

Oh man that was a great hit wasnt it!!!

I hope we draft someone to enhance our secondary, especially with the Colts in our division.

HardKnockTexan
03-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Earl deserves the vote just for his slober knocker he layed on Shockey last year. That was one of the nastiest hits I've seen in a long time. Plus Earl seems to not get lost in space as much as C.C. They're both young and a lot can change from year to year. If we draft a Saftey on the first day it should make for some nice competition during training camp.

Maddict5
03-28-2007, 08:06 AM

i will....if you show me 5 qb's that had >68% completion

thunderkyss
03-28-2007, 08:29 AM
i will....if you show me 5 qb's that had >68% completion

I'm talking about stats across the board, I'm not going to limit the field to one obviously unimportant stat.

If you want to go there, we can, but first show me one QB who can go 22-22 with no TDs, and have only 223 yards and an INT to show for it.

thunderkyss
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
&, I never said that I wouldn't like Laron Landry to be a Texan... just said I'd rather take a corner with that pick.

But if we did draft Landry, I'd rather see him share the field with CC... Then either of our safeties can blitz, and we wouldn't have to worry about Earl being looked off by the likes of J.P. Losman on an 83 yard TD.

real
03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Wow 66 to 17.....I didn't think it'd be that lop sided....

But as always, if a majority of the board thinks a certain way I'll probably be one of the ones to go against the grain....

I think C.C is really getting an unfair rap around here...It's like they don't realize he was basically playing out of position this year, and forget how well he was progressing in his rookie year...

I realize most said that they are picking Earl, but not by much....But IMO C.C is much better than him as far as activity is concerened....

It's like everyone forgets how well he played his rookie year at SS....I honestly believe Kubiak feels the same way as well because normally you're going to put your best Safety at FS, unless he's just built for SS and nothing else...I honestly think that if Kubiak thought Earl was better he'd have been at FS....There isn't much of a size difference so there has to be a reason...

I know Earl had some nice hits this year, but so did Dexter McCleon.....

When C.C was a rookie playing SS for us, he lead the team in tackles for a good portion of the year...The guy has a nose for the ball carrier, and though I agree with TKyss that a corner would probably help us most, I'm really hoping we get a FS and move C.C to the SS position where, IMO, he WILL beat out Glen Earl...

He's just too active a player to not have him on the field...I really think he has a chance to become one of the better SS in this leauge...JMO

V Man
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Well Brown got a little less toasted by Harrison. I'll vote Brown.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/RayThaPymp/PDVD_002.jpg

Wrong, I remember that play. Hard for me to say someone is toasted more when he is coming from across the field. But it was CC that bit hard on Harrison's fake and got toasted (he had deep on this play, not Earl)