PDA

View Full Version : Monday Morning Qb - Must Read

VaBandWaggonFan
03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
"4. I think maybe we should have seen the Carr firing coming. Those close to Gary Kubiak say Carr did not progress much from the mechanical, non-instinctive player the coach inherited 14 months ago when he got the Texans' job.

Last summer, on a visit to Texans' training camp, I saw Kubiak micromanaging Carr. I thought it was wise at the time to throw so much into trying to save the quarterback's career in Houston. Looking back, you can see how much work Kubiak had to do, and why, in the end, it was too much to overcome. I wrote:

The other day, Carr threw a pass into a coverage scheme that he, and Kubiak, knew right away was the wrong pass at the wrong time. Terrible decision. And instead of soft-pedaling his criticism, which is the way Carr has been treated for four years as the Disappointing Golden Boy of Houston football, Kubiak offered this gem: "You've been in the league four years and you make that throw? There is no way you can make a throw into coverage like that!''

You've got to love a coach who does not come in and kiss the franchise quarterback's rear end. Because smooching is not what this quarterback needed. "David can't assume, 'I'm OK, we've just got to fix the stuff around me,' '' Kubiak told me after a Texans practice, sounding Parcellsian. "He's not OK. He's a long way from being OK. We all are.''

With Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun micromanaging his every move, there's no doubt in my mind Carr's going to be a better player this year. Will he be a franchise quarterback? I don't know. No one does. I have my doubts. He's got to do it under pressure. But he's going to have a chance, even though I think the Texans should have taken Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams with the first pick in the draft because Carr needs another offensive weapon desperately.

Last Thursday, the day I watched Carr running Houston's talent-shy first-team offense, Kubiak was standing deep downfield, eyeing Carr's mechanics closely. Every so often, he'd see something, amble up and say something to Carr, then go back and resume watching him from afar. It's so fascinating why Kubiak was doing this.

Last winter, when Kubiak sat down to study every game Carr played last year, he noticed something fatal to quarterbacking success. He noticed when Carr faded back to throw, he consistently looked to the side of the field that was his first option. Imagine how crucial this is. If you're a safety, and you've scouted Carr from the end-zone coaches tape that every team sees, and you've seen that you can figure out the side of the field he's trying to throw to the second he begins his pass-drop, wouldn't that be a huge advantage?

When Kubiak first sat down with Carr to watch tape, he said, in so many words: Are you kidding me? You're an NFL quarterback, and you telegraph your throws so blatantly? So on this day, in this practice, Kubiak watched Carr take his drop and watched his eyes as much as his arm. He watched to make sure Carr was surveying the entire field on his drop, not just half of it."

LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/26/0326/4.html

real
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I think this is so screwy in so many ways and I am just happy that era is over...

Kubiak is a head coach....Not an offensive coordinator and not a QB coach....

OzzO
03-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Great find. What's odd is, numerous posters on the board noticed this early in his time here with the Texans.

Last winter, when Kubiak sat down to study every game Carr played last year, he noticed something fatal to quarterbacking success. He noticed when Carr faded back to throw, he consistently looked to the side of the field that was his first option.

.... only here it was called "locking onto his reciever".

Kaiser Toro
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Carr never locks in on his receivers. It was the Oline's and WRs fault. :rolleyes:

Vinny
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Carr never locks in on his receivers. It was the Oline's and WRs fault. :rolleyes:
I remember when Casserly was on 610am and a caller asked why Carr locked on so much and Casserly said that the caller didn't know what he was talking about and that every NFL QB does it. He said that people make too much of this because they didn't understand football...or something along those lines. I was shocked he was so ignorant....or at least shocked he was using so much spin...either way, it was a disturbing moment.

Kaiser Toro
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I remember when Casserly was on 610am and a caller asked why Carr locked on so much and Casserly said that the caller didn't know what he was talking about and that every NFL QB does it. He said that people make too much of this because they didn't understand football...or something along those lines. I was shocked he was so ignorant....or at least shocked he was using so much spin...either way, it was a disturbing moment.

If I had subpoena powers I would call Cass to tesify in front of the Bull Pen.

HoustonFrog
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I think this is so screwy in so many ways and I am just happy that era is over...

Kubiak is a head coach....Not an offensive coordinator and not a QB coach....

I think I wrote everything he said word for word at some point. Of course I was just "hating.":). I mean it was all coaching and the line and receivers and the TE and RB. I'm with you. Time to turn the page.

Cjeremy635
03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Great find. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised at how much the offense will be improved this year with the subtraction of Carr. I really liked him and thought that he was a good person, but there were many flaws with his game that never were corrected. The little things that we may make a comment here or there about are huge in the game and can make a difference from a TD throw for the offense to an interception being ran back for a TD for the defense. Mechanics and locking on to the recievers seems elementary to me, kinda like the building blocks of being a QB. Those seem like you would have them corrected before anything else. Maybe it is just too hard to correct bad habits. I'm sure that the line is looking forward to a fresh start as well. They have shouldered a lot of the blame around here the past few seasons, and while they warrant some of it, alot of it was not entirely their fault. :lightning:

ATX_Texan
03-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I noticed the same thing when Sage came in last year. The biggest difference between him and Carr was that you could actually see Sage's head move and survey the whole field. Carr, who also could not use the shotgun because he could not take his eyes off the field, never learned to do that simple thing in almost 5 years in the NFL.

ledzeppelin229
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
The earlier section of King's article on Schaub is worth reading too. And this is coming from someone who thinks Peter King's only planetary function is to deprive the rest of us of jelly donuts.

bigbrewster2000
03-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I am really happy that has been brought up, so this year in camp when starts doing that there will be no excuses and....oh yeah he not on this team anymore WHEW:dance2:

Now on to Matt Schaub

Porky
03-26-2007, 01:45 PM

I was listening at the time Vinny. I still remember it. I think we may have talked about it even. My jaw just dropped. You have it exactly as I remember it. That was the day I decided I wanted Cass gone because he was either clueless or a liar. Tennessee last year was the day I decided Carr had to go. Thankfully, they both are gone, and the storms have ended, and the gray skies have cleared, and all the sudden, it feels like a new glorious day. :yahoo:

Porky
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
From the same article posted above:

I think Schaub did something remarkable over the weekend. He put in 50 phone calls to his new teammates -- many of them quite surprised -- to introduce himself. I asked Schaub on Sunday night why he did it. "I wanted them to know who I was,'' he said. "I wanted them to know how excited I was to be their teammate and how much I was looking forward to leading the team.''

I love this guy! :bananasplit: :perfect10: :texan:

Second Honeymoon
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM

I also remember him being real abrasive when questioned about Carr's low release and him saying it was a non-factor...then the following year totally backpedaling on that comment and then the whole David's Dad at practice drama when they tried to tool around with his release/throwing motion

Tailgate
03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Crap... its not even April yet. This has gotten me excited.

Second Honeymoon
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM

I think Schaub did something remarkable over the weekend. He put in 50 phone calls to his new teammates -- many of them quite surprised -- to introduce himself. I asked Schaub on Sunday night why he did it. "I wanted them to know who I was,'' he said. "I wanted them to know how excited I was to be their teammate and how much I was looking forward to leading the team.''

totally agree. dude should throw a big party for the whole team once he gets settled in a new home. let the bonding begin.

utahmark
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
good article. i was one of carr's biggest supporters but it seems we made the right move getting rid of him. hope matt is the answer.

thunderkyss
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM

That's about as bad as the, "you can't see the QBs eyes" excuse. Every other QB in the league, you can see the whole helmet turn from one side of the field to the other, but David can somehow do it all with his eyes... yeah right.

The worst case of this I saw this year, was against New England. I saw Clements lined up on Moulds, he was backpedaling watching Carr. He saw Carr following Daniels come across to his side of the field, and he let Moulds go, to jump the route in front of Owen. The safety was behind Owen, so Moulds had to be wide open down the field.

David was looking right at them, and he couldn't see Nate Clements release Molds and jump in front of Daniels.

pathetic.

afcman
03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Something I've been hearing on Sirius NFL radio is that several coaches have also noticed this and basically said, 'there's too much to fix that shouldn't need fixing'.

It's sad on one level because I don't think he was coached correctly. But somewhere along the line he lost the fire needed to win. Maybe he can make a comeback....maybe he's gone to far.

But....that's just the way it is. And now we are finally going forward. Here's to a winning season! :yahoo:

thunderkyss
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Only 50 calls??

Sheesh, what a slacker :wild:

Exithios
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM

This, in and of itself, shows more leadership in his first week as a Texan than DC showed in 5 years. This kid has "winner" written all over him.

Errant Hothy
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
And you know what wouldn't surprise me? If Carr didn't play football again. Not saying that will happen, but I am saying the thought has crossed Carr's mind

That's the most telling statement to me.

HoustonFrog
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm surprised this thread isn't as big an issue:rolleyes:

dalemurphy
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I was listening at the time Vinny. I still remember it. I think we may have talked about it even. My jaw just dropped. You have it exactly as I remember it. That was the day I decided I wanted Cass gone because he was either clueless or a liar. Tennessee last year was the day I decided Carr had to go. Thankfully, they both are gone, and the storms have ended, and the gray skies have cleared, and all the sudden, it feels like a new glorious day. :yahoo:

I had two moments of clarity last year... The first one I denied. It was a preseason show on the Texans and the focus was on David Carr and how he motivated his teammates. Basically, he bragged about his genius in calling them out by their college team's name.

The second moment was the second Tennessee game. I was there. Besides being sick from all the ridiculous VY fans, the difference in leadership and ability to make big plays was so inescapable that I knew we needed a new QB.

Things are looking up this offseason!

texan_fan_8
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Something I've been hearing on Sirius NFL radio is that several coaches have also noticed this and basically said, 'there's too much to fix that shouldn't need fixing'.

It's sad on one level because I don't think he was coached correctly. But somewhere along the line he lost the fire needed to win. Maybe he can make a comeback....maybe he's gone to far.

But....that's just the way it is. And now we are finally going forward. Here's to a winning season! :yahoo:

You know I think that if coaching where it he'd still be the QB. But its beyond coaching its instinct and leadership and i think the poor guy lacks both. I sincerely wish him luck but i suspect we'll see him in arena or canadian Football. I dont hear anyone running to pick him up.

CVTexan
03-26-2007, 05:36 PM
You know I think that if coaching where it he'd still be the QB. But its beyond coaching its instinct and leadership and i think the poor guy lacks both. I sincerely wish him luck but i suspect we'll see him in arena or canadian Football. I dont hear anyone running to pick him up.

I could not agree more. This is a player that we sank 35 million dollars into and were unable to reap any rewards. IMO I think the most unfortunate thing for this guy may have been all the expectations that were put on him from the very first game. "Some" quarterbacks can handle it, yet others need to watch from the sidelines and learn to quarterback before being thrown in their first game. This was the best move for David and the Texans. As I have seen posted on the boards in numerous other posts, if Schaub is an average quarterback at best we are a MUCH improved team!

RTP2110
03-26-2007, 05:48 PM
d. The schedule will be announced April 5 on ESPN, which owns much of the free world and is currently in negotiations to buy the rest.

dat_boy_yec
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I had two moments of clarity last year... The first one I denied. It was a preseason show on the Texans and the focus was on David Carr and how he motivated his teammates. Basically, he bragged about his genius in calling them out by their college team's name.

The second moment was the second Tennessee game. I was there. Besides being sick from all the ridiculous VY fans, the difference in leadership and ability to make big plays was so inescapable that I knew we needed a new QB.

Things are looking up this offseason!

Are you sure that was Carr in the first instance. I remember it was how good Kubiak was by calling them out like that. I was impressed with Kubiaks knowledge of the players. That would have been a big deal if it had been Carr, because he had so much to work on himself it would have really looked hypocritical if he did that. However Kubiak as the teacher that totally changes things.

To be honest now that Carr is gone I'm kind of glad. I no longer have to support him and hope for improvement that may not have been forthcoming. I no longer have to think to myself wtf did Carr see that I didn't see that made him make such a boneheaded decision. The one play that I felt made me really loose faith in Carr was throwing into quadruple, I know you know where I'm going with this Quadruple coverage. I mean I was just shocked and even if A.J. had been the only one running the route. A few yards out and into the sidelines was all that was needed.

I support all Texans players and now that Carr is gone I have no quelms about supporting Schaub. Simply because he is now a Texan. Don't get me wrong I'll still sport my Carr jersey, because he was our first QB ever. (and the damn thing cost me so damn much.) Plus I don't know when new Texans authentic jersey's come out.

So having said all that Schaub is now the QB I'm supporting and hoping will lead us to the promised land. (Suberbowl!!!) So GO TEXANS!!!!!

TwinSisters
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I'll take up the position as Casserly's defense attorney on looking at targets.

I submit exhibit A: Kurt Warner.

Lead one of the greatest passing offenses ever known. One of his skills was the ability to visually lock a target and throw somewhere else, while still throwing to his locked target enough times to keep the defenses biting.

DocBar
03-26-2007, 07:00 PM
If I had subpoena powers I would call Cass to tesify in front of the Bull Pen.

Would it be a capital case? That way we could go for the death penalty.

shanden
03-26-2007, 07:12 PM

I submit exhibit B: Kurt Warner.

Lead one of the greatest passing offenses ever known. One of his skills was the ability to visually lock a target and throw somewhere else, while still throwing to his locked target enough times to keep the defenses biting.

Cross examination of witness:

Unfortunately for your client, We have thousands of witnesses in the stands and opposing DB to testify that Mr Carr never demonstrated the ability to look one way and throw another as Mr Warner has the talent for.

I submit Exhibit C - highlight of Pacman Jones running back a touchdown by following Mr Carr's projection of his pass.

I have several other red zone highlights turned turnovers to submit as exhibits (including one into quadruple coverage) but that touchdown was the flashiest.

Not to mention I hear you might be representing Mr Jones in his upcoming trial and might need this tape to help your case in moving a jury....or something

:poker:

DocBar
03-26-2007, 07:14 PM

Kubiak is a head coach....Not an offensive coordinator and not a QB coach.... Yeah but a big part of why Kubes was brought in was to fix Carr.

I noticed the same thing when Sage came in last year. The biggest difference between him and Carr was that you could actually see Sage's head move and survey the whole field. Carr, who also could not use the shotgun because he could not take his eyes off the field, never learned to do that simple thing in almost 5 years in the NFL.
One thing that shouldn't be forgotten is the speed of the game. As often as Carr was beat into the ground, this doesn't surprise me. I rodeod for a long time and one of the hardest parts, for me, was beating the bull or horse out of the gate. There's a tremondous surge of power moving at "ludicrous speed"(think Space Balls) and it can be impossible to catch up with. I imagine that's a lot like taking a snap under center for the Texans the last five years. Maybe they should've put some rodeo clowns(they call them bullfighters now...gotta be politically correct) in the backfield on passing downs instead of a RB & FB.
I'm surprised this thread isn't as big an issue:rolleyes: Ribbitt, ribbitt

I submit exhibit A: Kurt Warner.

Lead one of the greatest passing offenses ever known. One of his skills was the ability to visually lock a target and throw somewhere else, while still throwing to his locked target enough times to keep the defenses biting. I have two names for you. Roger Staubach and Danny White. 2 of the greatest no lookie QB's to ever play the game. Montana was pretty good at it, too. Staubach was the best I can remember seeing.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I am not a big fan of Peter King but since he actually had some good thigng to say I will let it slide.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/26/0326/3.html

One of the best parts!

3. I think Schaub did something remarkable over the weekend. He put in 50 phone calls to his new teammates -- many of them quite surprised -- to introduce himself. I asked Schaub on Sunday night why he did it. "I wanted them to know who I was,'' he said. "I wanted them to know how excited I was to be their teammate and how much I was looking forward to leading the team.''

Texan_Aggie222
03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Finally! I have found someone who has the same ideas and veiws as me! Wow! Me and Peter King get along great. I beleive he is 100% right when he says:

2. I think I have serious reservations about whether Atlanta did the right thing in dealing Matt Schaub. For three reasons: 1) What happens if the ever-present danger of Mike Vick getting hurt in September rears its unfortunate head, and they've got to rely on the backup (Chris Redman?) to play? 2) GM Rich McKay always said if any teams wanted Schaub, they'd better come dangling first-round draft picks. Atlanta got two second-rounders and a jump of two spots in this year's first round. That's equivalent to about the 20th pick in the first round. If Schaub's the genuine item, which it appears he might be, that's not enough. And if you're not going to get enough, you shouldn't trade him. 3) No one is positive that Vick is the long-term answer at quarterback under new coach Bobby Petrino. What happens if by Thanksgiving, Petrino is looking at owner Arthur Blank and saying: Uh, Mr, Blank, we've got to get ourselves a quarterback. And don't think it's a lock Vick and Petrino are going to be a great marriage.

I like the deal for Houston, but the trade has its risks. Schaub is totally unproven, having started two games and completed 52 percent of his passes in three seasons in Atlanta. And the Texans still gave him a six-year, $48-million contract; granted only $7 million is guaranteed, but it's still a major commitment for a risky player.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Opps! Sorry for the duplicate post, somehow I missed the MMQB thread.

TwinSisters
03-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Cross examination of witness:

Unfortunately for your client, We have thousands of witnesses in the stands and opposing DB to testify that Mr Carr never demonstrated the ability to look one way and throw another as Mr Warner has the talent for.

I submit Exhibit C - highlight of Pacman Jones running back a touchdown by following Mr Carr's projection of his pass.

I have several other red zone highlights turned turnovers to submit as exhibits (including one into quadruple coverage) but that touchdown was the flashiest.

Not to mention I hear you might be representing Mr Jones in his upcoming trial and might need this tape to help your case in moving a jury....or something

:poker:

Indeed. The failures of the QB in question are abundant and plentiful, but irrelevant to the charges put against my client.

my client states that quarterbacks look at their targets all the time in the NFL. This stands to be true, as Warner looked at his targets and played in the NFL at the time that my client made such a statement.

Looking off is what it is called when you succeed.
Locking on is what it is called when you fail.

It is not the 'act of looking' that is the failing of the said quarterback, it is the results of the act after the fact. Had the said quarterback looked and mixed up his broadcast in the process, the telegraphing in conjunction with the looking would be deemed successful.

I have two names for you. Roger Staubach and Danny White. 2 of the greatest no lookie QB's to ever play the game. Montana was pretty good at it, too. Staubach was the best I can remember seeing.

I move to toss the two Cowpucks from the court. As they played the majority of their games around Delaware and out of the jurisdiction of the court. We rule not of France in Japan, then why here?

As for Joe... his sheer greatness in pounding the crap out of Dallas for a decade should earn him a honoury citizenship. And to this I agree... he was absolutely rigid about not looking at your intended target ( and said so many times ). However his actions alone still do not falsify the statements of my client. Just because one or two chickens are standing around in the henhouse, doesn't mean there ain't a whole lot a scratching going on with the others.

DocBar
03-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Indeed. The failures of the QB in question are abundant and plentiful, but irrelevant to the charges put against my client.

my client states that quarterbacks look at their targets all the time in the NFL. This stands to be true, as Warner looked at his targets and played in the NFL at the time that my client made such a statement.

Looking off is what it is called when you succeed.
Locking on is what it is called when you fail.

It is not the 'act of looking' that is the failing of the said quarterback, it is the results of the act after the fact. Had the said quarterback looked and mixed up his broadcast in the process, the telegraphing in conjunction with the looking would be deemed successful.

I move to toss the two Cowpucks from the court. As they played the majority of their games around Delaware and out of the jurisdiction of the court. We rule not of France in Japan, then why here?

As for Joe... his sheer greatness in pounding the crap out of Dallas for a decade should earn him a honoury citizenship. And to this I agree... he was absolutely rigid about not looking at your intended target ( and said so many times ). However his actions alone still do not falsify the statements of my client. Just because one or two chickens are standing around in the henhouse, doesn't mean there ain't a whole lot a scratching going on with the others. I'd give you rep for that post if it wasn't me you were pounding on!!!! Spoken like a true lawyer. May your head be cut off when this country reclaims itself!!!! :yikes:

steelbtexan
03-26-2007, 09:41 PM
If carr was fixable do you think Kubiak would go against Mc Nair's wishes & put his career on the line with Schaub?

DocBar
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
If carr was fixable do you think Kubiak would go against Mc Nair's wishes & put his career on the line with Schaub?

Hard to say....Kubes DID think Carr was fixable, so his judgement is questionable.

shanden
03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I see you brought a rebuttal witness:

line of scrimage marker dude (sounds like an occupation in a Miller lite commercial): I am a witness to Mr Carr doing exactly as the defendent, Mr Casserly claims.

Lawyer: Yes go on.

line of scrimage marker dude: Well I saw him look one way and pass another twice in one game even...although it wasn't exactly like how Mr Warner and Montana do that.

Lawyer: well he did though didn't he?

line of scrimage marker dude: well yes, but..

Lawyer: no further questions...he's your witness

Prosecution: Mr line of scrimage marker dude, I have a question. What was Mr Carr looking at in reference to the two events you witnessed and where did he pass to?

line of scrimage marker dude: Well, he was running under pressure and I saw him heave the ball toward the sideline out of bounds as he was looking at me...err...well maybe it was looking for me when he heaved it...you know he had to kind of look behind himself to see me both those times....of maybe he was looking at his feet or the ground...I've never seen anyone do that twice in a game before like that. I hear Mr Carr has a knack for it too.

Prosecutor: no further questions your honor (sighs)

Stros5Texans80
03-27-2007, 01:09 AM
And they say football doesn't teach you law room ettiquette.

2BCF
03-27-2007, 01:21 AM

So, Carr did the same thing when he first was hired...but all 50 were to Bob McNair. :joker:
Looks like that worked out well for him. I know, time to move on.

HoustonFrog
03-27-2007, 09:14 AM
And they say football doesn't teach you law room ettiquette.

I should have skipped the bar 10 years ago and waited for this:). Funny stuff all around in this thread. Props to all.

titan hater
03-27-2007, 09:34 AM

I think this is why he is now a talking head rather then a GM...Frankley, I am not sure what happened with him. I thought when we first hired CC he was a real winner....boy, was I wrong...

Dont Pick Your Schaub
03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
2007 Game 1 Prediction

1. First Down

Scab takes a 5-step drop............whack

2. Second Down

Rosenfels takes a 3-step drop........whack

3. Third Down

Ball is hiked directly to Green.......whack

4. Fourth Down

Kubiak punts, Scab makes 50 call from hospital, Rosencran breaks hands trying to block for Green.