PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub has his # and it is ....

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Well it's an odd feeling looking at the texans roster and the seeing #8 Carr, David.

So what # do you want schaub to wear?

#8 - Number at Atlanta (pros)
#7 - Number at Virginia (college)

or another number?

current chad stanley has 7 but schaub has more than enough $ to say please!

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I chose #8, I know it has some bad taste in our mouth cuz of Carr. But I think schaub looks good in 8 and its time for him to turn our franchise around and clean up that # a little bit.

Second Honeymoon
03-26-2007, 11:01 AM
#7 or #10. #10 just says 'i could care less about VY' and I think that would be sweet message

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Why would I care what number he wears?

SheTexan
03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
#10!! Just because!!:)

Texan_Bill
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM

Good choice G'ma..

I was going to say either #1 or #10

HuttoKarl
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I think we should hide Jersey #8 in the darkest recesses of Reliant Stadium, never to see the light of day again.

He'd have to fight Stanley for #7 and Van Pelt for #10.

powerfuldragon
03-26-2007, 11:21 AM
he should wear the number infinity because that's how we're used to seeing our qb's number anyway.

nunusguy
03-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Let him wear #7, his old college number. I think we've all decided to give
#8 a rest around here.
And as an added bonus, the greatest QB who ever played the game wore 7 !

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
he should wear the number infinity because that's how we're used to seeing our qb's number anyway.

lol good one

if y'all wanna see what it'd look like you can try the customizable jerseys just write in schaub and the number and preview.

battle red-> http://store.houstontexans.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1865446

Blue-> http://store.houstontexans.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1772607

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
#8 a rest around here.

Apparently Arthur Blank thinks so too.

nunusguy
03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Apparently Arthur Blank thinks so too.

In case you really didn't know, my reference was to JE.

SheTexan
03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I think we should hide Jersey #8 in the darkest recesses of Reliant Stadium, never to see the light of day again.

He'd have to fight Stanley for #7 and Van Pelt for #10.

Doubtful Van Pelt will be on the roster come Sept. Stanley is one of the few original Texans! He needs to keep his number.

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
In case you really didn't know, my reference was to JE.

yea i knew, elway's awesome...i was just making fun of the falcons getting rid of their better qb.

South Texan
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Hmmmmm.....

7 for college
8 for pro backup
9 for probowler?

Houston_Fanatic
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I agree with not using #8 - too many bad vibes associated with that number for our team and we need to make a fresh start with a new number.

Personally, I like #9

tulexan
03-26-2007, 11:50 AM
He'll go with 7

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
He'll go with 7

that's what i'm thinking...

TheRealX9
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Number 69! please!

alphajoker
03-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I voted lucky #7.

grinch1134
03-26-2007, 12:05 PM
I chose #8 that way I could just buy a patch to put on my jersey.

OzzO
03-26-2007, 12:12 PM
#7 for his college number and to give the next digit a rest. If that number won't be given up......

#2 since #1 is too "ego inflated" and he's the 2nd starting QB of the franchise.

(okay, that was hokey).

Texanfan4ever
03-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I personally like #2. I vote for 7, but 7 is Chad's. #8 should be out of the question.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks for moving this, mods. I wasn't aware of this thread. Since David is gone, will Matt wear No. 8 or will this change?
(Chad still has No. 7, which is Matt's college number if I remember correctly.)

El Tejano
03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
7 looks cool, and last time Kubiak dealt with a number 7 on a QB.........

OrangeCountyTexansFan
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
#2 since #1 is too "ego inflated" and he's the 2nd starting QB of the franchise.

(okay, that was hokey).
Actually, that would make good sense.

afcman
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
NO! to number 8. Time to move on.

NO! to number 7. Seems like almost every QB is going with 7.

I don't know what number I would like to see yet.....I'll think about it. :)

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
How about #4....i know another pretty darn good QB that wears #4!

HuttoKarl
03-26-2007, 02:38 PM

He wouldn't be that QB who loved painkillers and Miller beer...you know...the other QB Atlanta traded away?

That'd be perfect.

michaelm
03-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I believe he already said that he will just wear whatever number the team issues him.
That would indicate that he won't try to get Stanley to give up the #7, so I think that's out. That would take #10 out of consideration as well.

In order of likelyhood, IMO:

Farough
03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Hmmmmm.....

7 for college
8 for pro backup
9 for probowler?

naw.. 9 would be pro-starter
10 would be pro-bowler

freedoggy77
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
#8 is probably cursed, so #7. chad stanley sucks we should just kick him off the team already (and draft sepulveda!)

uhcougar08
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I know this does not mean too much, but ESPN has Schaub listed on the Texans roster with the #8. I know they may have just carried that over with him from Hot Lanta, but it was interesting to see.

dirty steve
03-26-2007, 02:47 PM
i want the number that he wears when he is QB'ing us in that first playoff game...#8, #7, i dont care.

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I believe he already said that he will just wear whatever number the team issues him.
That would indicate that he won't try to get Stanley to give up the #7, so I think that's out. That would take #10 out of consideration as well.

In order of likelyhood, IMO:

I didn't know he said that, if so i think that's a pretty classy thing.

just now looking at the roster, the #'s not taken are...

1,2,4,5,6,8,9,11,12,14,15,17 (I vote 4, that'd be ironic for atlanta to trade both favre and schaub, and both where 4)

Koolaid Time
03-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I chose #8, I know it has some bad taste in our mouth cuz of Carr. But I think schaub looks good in 8 and its time for him to turn our franchise around and clean up that # a little bit.

Cheapskate! Come on, confess.. the real reason you want Schaub to keep #8 is you can recycle your old Carr jersey with just a new namepatch sown on the back! :joker:

texans83
03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Cheapskate! Come on, confess.. the real reason you want Schaub to keep #8 is you can recycle your old Carr jersey with just a new namepatch sown on the back! :joker:

hey I was going to do that also.

Dunta_23
03-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Go with 12 and pray he plays like Tom Brady

kcwilson
03-26-2007, 03:08 PM

The number 6 looks like almost every letter in his name...

kinda looks like and S
Kinda looks like a C
Could be a stretch for an h, but similar
a fancy backwards a
a U, well, close...
and a b, enough said.

6 would be perfect.

hadaad
03-26-2007, 03:18 PM

Is that because of the #8 lying on its side (just sacked)?

I'd say #2 because of all the 2s that went into bringing him here.

To be fair, he said he'd wear whatever number the team gave him. With that said, I guess he won't be #7, since Chad Stanley is already wearing it.

#8 isn't outside the realm of possibility, but I doubt it.

gtexan02
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Why would I care what number he wears?

Thank you for your contribution to this thread...not. Why do you even waste time posting something like this?

BornOrange
03-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Thank you for your contribution to this thread...not. Why do you even waste time posting something like this?

Because some of us prefer to discourage this type of thread to keep this board related to football matters.

Schaub himself said it doesn't matter.

If he doesn't care, why should you?

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Well... because I was hoping for an answer. I didn't intend it to sound grumpy or anything but I was being serious. I can't conceive of any reason why someone would care what number a guy chooses to wear. Obviously, some people care about what number a player wears because people are responding and talking about it and someone even created a poll for it. But... why? I'm totally missing out on why this is important.

Do you think he's going to have better luck with a certain number?

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Because some of us prefer to discourage this type of thread to keep this board related to football matters.

Just because it doesn't matter to a player doesn't mean fans can't talk about it and voice their opinions. It's just a laid back more 'fun' talk, there are plenty of threads about the team...actually if you look at them the majority revolve around the same central issues, therefore each thread becomes the exact same.

We're fans of the Texans, we don't have any say in who we draft, what players play where, what scheme or strategy we use, who plays in the superbowl, etc. But all we can talk about is our opinions and what we like/dislike.

It's nice to talk about something different for a change. Like say our uniforms and battle red day and what not. Maybe this should be in the bullpen section..if so that's fine.

If you don't want to have fun and then you don't have to. If you think this thread is useless, I'll respect that but its just lighthearted and kind of effects us fans...we buy the jersey's, we wear that number, we may prefer to wear one number over another...even though we have absolutely no say in that.

uhcougar08
03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Just because it doesn't matter to a player doesn't mean fans can't talk about it and voice their opinions. It's just a laid back more 'fun' talk, there are plenty of threads about the team...actually if you look at them the majority revolve around the same central issues, therefore each thread becomes the exact same.

We're fans of the Texans, we don't have any say in who we draft, what players play where, what scheme or strategy we use, who plays in the superbowl, etc. But all we can talk about is our opinions and what we like/dislike.

It's nice to talk about something different for a change. Like say our uniforms and battle red day and what not. Maybe this should be in the bullpen section..if so that's fine.

If you don't want to have fun and then you don't have to. If you think this thread is useless, I'll respect that but its just lighthearted and kind of effects us fans...we buy the jersey's, we wear that number, we may prefer to wear one number over another...even though we have absolutely no say in that.

That about sums it up. Great thoughts.

michaelm
03-26-2007, 04:32 PM

That's just ridiculous. This thread may need to be moved to Texans Tailgate, but it's really not necessary for you to try discourage this kind of thread.
Don't like, don't get, well then don't participate.
If you feel like suggesting that the thread be moved to another forum, that's cool, otherwise just ignore it.

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2007, 04:34 PM

You know, one of the problems with MB's and newsgroups or whatever is the inability to hear the tone of a question. I wasn't asking the question to squelch the thread or cause dissension or antyhing. I just wanted to hear WHY people care what number someone wears. I personally don't so I was interested in why this is important to some people. I wasn't trying to say people were frivolous for caring.

Some of the posts in the thread have been entertaining and some have even answered (indirectly) my question. I don't have a problem with the topic or the existence of the thread.

Double Barrel
03-26-2007, 04:39 PM
#8 a rest around here.

Joe Montana wore no. 16. :victory:

Chrispy
03-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Not 8 - I don't want to see another Texan wearing 8 for a long time.
Not 7 - since that's Stanley's number

Other than that I don't really care. I'll just say 12 because the twelth is my daughter's birthday.

:texan:

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Some of the posts in the thread have been entertaining and some have even answered (indirectly) my question. I don't have a problem with the topic or the existence of the thread.

well hopefully i answered it a little...all in all i guess it doesnt really matter. i have enjoyed some of the responses. I personally though #2 would be funny. we dropped 2 spots in the 1st and gave up 2 2nd rd picks. and then he wears #2 and is the 2nd quarterback of our franchise.

seveneventer
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I like #5...It's my lucky number:)

ledzeppelin229
03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
You know, one of the problems with MB's and newsgroups or whatever is the inability to hear the tone of a question. I wasn't asking the question to squelch the thread or cause dissension or antyhing. I just wanted to hear WHY people care what number someone wears. I personally don't so I was interested in why this is important to some people. I wasn't trying to say people were frivolous for caring.

I think people are just bored as hell and willing to discuss anything related to football. And to be honest there are more original thought processes in this thread than any of them related to Carr, Schaub, Mario, Vince, Reggie, Casserly, and so on...

whiskeyrbl
03-26-2007, 05:50 PM
16 sounds good to me

swisher
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Unless he takes someone else's number, here is what he has to choose from:

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 17.

Aiden
03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
He'll go with 7

I'm hoping.

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
He could start a new dynasty for a number in Houston..
#34- Earl Cambell, Hakeem Olajowan, Nolan Ryan
#17- Lance Berkman, MATT SCHAUBE, Rockets....???

bad
03-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Whatever the guy wants...it's just a number. Just so long as he wears it well.

aproberts03
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
doesn't matter what number as long as on sunday he comes to play and produces

DocBar
03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Since this guy might be the current Houston franchises equivilant to Warren Moon, I say he should wear # 1. That way, if he sucks, we can give him the bird(he DID come from ATL) and STILL support him. WIN WIN!!!!!
If you aaholes don't like that, the I say # 10 cus then we could use this
:perfect10: when talking about him.

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

rickyb
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
#7.

a) His college #
b) Pastorini's #, harkens back to Luv Ya Blue
c) It's the square root of 49.

Reddevil63
03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
He could start a new dynasty for a number in Houston..
#34- Earl Cambell, Hakeem Olajowan, Nolan Ryan
#17- Lance Berkman, MATT SCHAUBE, Rockets....???im gonna edit your #17 and Lance Berkman and substitute #5- Jeff Bagwell, Matt Schaub :)

DocBar
03-26-2007, 08:08 PM
#7.

a) His college #
b) Pastorini's #, harkens back to Luv Ya Blue
c) It's the square root of 49.

49 IS a number dear to us all!!!! Maybe it will entice Pastorini out of retirement and he'll start whipping up on sports reporters again. AHHHH, the good ole days.

NitroGSXR
03-26-2007, 08:15 PM
#8 a rest around here.

I don't know. I thought that Marino wore the number 13.

Truth be told, I don't care what number he wears.

I'll just go with an odd number here. How about 19.

DocBar
03-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't know. I thought that Marino wore the number 13.

Truth be told, I don't care what number he wears.

I'll just go with an odd number here. How about 19.

Keyshawn Johnson wears that number, right?? BAD karma!!!
You MUST be mistaken about the best QB EVER!!!!!

Janus3
03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
where's the "whatever the hell he wants to" option?

DocBar
03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
where's the "whatever the hell he wants to" option?
You MUST be smoking.....

BornOrange
03-26-2007, 09:04 PM

Yeah, I guess I was a little harsh in my earlier post.

I just equate speculation of a player's number with wondering when he is going to cut his hair, or what color scheme the uniform should be.

texansfanquecaneh
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM

I'd like him to wear #4 myself:cool:

Sco-tai
03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
I just equate speculation of a player's number with wondering when he is going to cut his hair, or what color scheme the uniform should be.

Apparently you weren't around when the franchise was being announced. The team colors and such were the topic of MUCH discussion.
They even changed the color of the helmet after originally going with a WHITE helmet.

Not to mention, many athletes are VERY superstitious. Whether it's a particular pair of socks, a pre-game ritual such as listening to a certain song...or a jersey number. Therefore, often fans will be curious as to what the athletes number of choice will be.

I guess you're used playing sports which don't require numbers like...uh....TABLE TENNIS? Or lawn-darts, perhaps.

If you don't like the thread topic, skip over it.

:wild: :joker: :victory:

trutxn
03-26-2007, 11:46 PM

Sounds good 2 me!

2BCF
03-27-2007, 01:13 AM
49 IS a number dear to us all!!!! Maybe it will entice Pastorini out of retirement and he'll start whipping up on sports reporters again. AHHHH, the good ole days.

Dale Robertson had it coming. What a cheeseball he was then.
Hair permed, 1/2 dozen gold chains around his neck, and his polyester shirt unbuttoned to his navel.
Of course he sued like a little &!(#.
But Pastorini still says it was money well spent.
Gotta love him for it.

GP
03-27-2007, 01:27 AM
No. 9

He was 7, then he was 8, and now he should be 9.

It's PROGRESS.

J-Storm
03-27-2007, 01:42 AM
I voted for 'Other #' only because I'm not fussed what # he wears as long as it isn't 3/5/9 as they are my #s for my custom jerseys, lol, jk...

I don't think 7 or 8 are outta the Q atm & here is why he could wear either of those:
7 - He shows he is better than Vick but not fully Elway (I'd be happy with a SB appearance atm let alone a win in it)
8 - He shows he is better than Carr but just under Aikman (see above parenthesis)

If those are out though I think he should wear #6 because I don't think there is a starting QB in the league wearing that is there currently...???

SamuraiSword
03-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey guys what about good ol' number 1???? Just remember what happened to the last QB that wore number 1.

good ol' warren moon!!! :elmo:

keyfro
03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
just checked the roster and he has chose number 8...talk about bad karma

gtexan02
03-27-2007, 08:31 AM
You know, one of the problems with MB's and newsgroups or whatever is the inability to hear the tone of a question.

I totally agree. Sorry for misinterpreting your first post.

Exithios
03-27-2007, 08:41 AM
He is No. 8. It's official today.

I am actually surprised by this. I just assumed that the mind-set would be "the start of a new era" which would entail his number being something other than the #8 previously worn by Carr.

idonno:

texans83
03-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I wish he would have gone with another # but itleast now I dont have to but another jersey. (just paste Schaub over Carr):)

GP
03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Weird.

Why would you wear your backup number from Atlanta?

Why would you wear the number of the former QB?

Some might say it doesn't matter. I think it matters to a degree, especially when you consider that he's never been a starter before, he's on a new team that paid a steep price for him, and he's replacing a guy who wore the same number. All of that is reason enough, IMO, to warrant a new number for a new start.

Wouldn't you want your own identity?

Now all it will be is "And onto the field comes Houston's NEW No. 8...." or "Well, let's see how THIS No. 8 does for the Texans..." and just the pure fact that seeing that number is going to send us into flashbacks for awhile.

If he doesn't work out, it's going to be "Texans Crazy Eights Can't WIn Games."

I mean, I really think he should have chosen a different number.

Oh well.

Texan_Bill
03-27-2007, 09:10 AM
# 8 v2.0

Keldar
03-27-2007, 10:05 AM
something original like 00....oh wait that's been done.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
03-27-2007, 10:10 AM
No. 9

He was 7, then he was 8, and now he should be 9.

It's PROGRESS.
I thought 2 was a good choice, but after your post, I think 9 would be a good choice too.
:texan:

Wolfiegrrl
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I just checked the Roster. They gave him #8.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=285&section=TH%20Players

03-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I kinda hope he gets Stanley's #7 before the season starts... I got a bad feeling about #8. always have. haha.

korkedbatz
03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I just checked the Roster. They gave him #8.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=285&section=TH%20Players

Yeah I just saw that. I don't really care what number he wears, the only part of the jersey that matters is the name on the back.

El Amigo Invisible
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
# 10 or # 1

Chrispy
03-27-2007, 10:34 AM
I am actually surprised by this. I just assumed that the mind-set would be "the start of a new era" which would entail his number being something other than the #8 previously worn by Carr.

idonno:

I totally agree with you. I was thinking for sure that it would be anything except 8. Oh well it was his number in ATL and I guess he didn't care that some other QB had it here so he took it.

I wonder how many people are going to buy cheap Carr jerseys, or more likely keep the ones they already have, and alter them so say Schaub.

threetoedpete
03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
It's up somewhere and I'm sorry I can't link it for you....#8 has won the super bowl 80% of the time. & 7 has lost it 60% of the time.
In fact it was in one of the carr sucks , "take that" links yesterday or the day before. Silvers ?

Texan_Bill
03-27-2007, 11:17 AM
He is No. 8. It's official today.

I'm sure this is subject to change. He probably hasn't had a chance to buy Stanley's number from him yet and since, he is officially a Texan they had to at least assign him a number (for the time being) and #8 was available.

He may wind up with it next season, he may not. I could see him getting #7 from Stanley and Stanley switching to say #9..... Just my :twocents:

Bamaborn-Texasbred
03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I think Schaub should be given the number 5.

With Bagwell retired from baseball this town needs another high-profile number 5.

He definitely shouldn't wear the 8 he had in Atlanta for obvious reasons.

Kris Brown has number 3.

Stanley has 9.

Cripes! I just checked the roster on the Texans website and they have Schaub listed as number 8. I think he should ask for another number. I don't want to see him playing in that number. It is cursed for all time and eternity.

threetoedpete
03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
How many of these do we need mods ?...one two three.....move

03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
i'll set the over/under of this threads life expectancy at 30 minutes. i'm taking the under.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM

With Bagwell not wearing it across town anymore, someone needs to do it.

SheTexan
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Cripes! I just checked the roster on the Texans website and they have Schaub listed as number 8. I think he should ask for another number. I don't want to see him playing in that number. It is cursed for all time and eternity.

Tell that to Troy Aikman and Steve Young!!

BTW: There is already a thread about this. Might help a little to read before you write!!

threetoedpete
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM

With Bagwell not wearing it across town anymore, someone needs to do it.

Hey ya found it. WTG. Rep your way.

Errant Hothy
03-27-2007, 11:39 AM

Odd, Hulk sauid that Amtt told David he wouldn't wear #8. hmmm, oh well it's just a number.

Dubble Trubble
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
For the QB...anything other than 8.

8 should sit in the cooler for a season or two. Unless, you give it to a kicker or some Spec.Teams guy we don't know about.

Navy_Chris
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
For the QB...anything other than 8.

8 should sit in the cooler for a season or two. Unless, you give it to a kicker or some Spec.Teams guy we don't know about.

What about #14? Anderson switched to #89. Maybe Stanley gives up his #7, who knows? I think he'll wear #14, though.

Mr. White
03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Now we can take our Carr jerseys to the t-shirt shop and get 'em to change the name.

This is a victory for the consumer.

mike230765
03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I think the organization wanted him to stay with #8 since they have an abundance of #8 jerseys printed so it makes it cheaper for shaub to get his new jersey out to the public faster......i be he got a sweet deal.....well i guess i can say that schaub is a good business man.

Dont Pick Your Schaub
03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
zero....I looks most like a bullseye.

texanfan2002114
03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
#8. I don't know if this has been posted, but according to houstontexans.com. Matt Schaub will wear #8.

DoCRoN
03-27-2007, 03:12 PM
#8. I don't know if this has been posted, but according to houstontexans.com. Matt Schaub will wear #8.

Wow, that's surprising. I just figured the "stigma" surrounding #8 would've led him elsewhere.

But then again, maybe he's going to make us forget about the old #8 (in a good way)...! :yahoo:

real
03-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Cool...

I kind of wanted him to go with 8...

bigbrewster2000
03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
That is pretty interesting, I wonder if they are keeping him at 8 now because he has yet to pay Chad Stanley for the rights to #7.

Or maybe he just likes 8 now that he has been wearing it for 3 years. Either way is good for me.

Pantherstang84
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Cool...

I kind of wanted him to go with 8...

Exactly. To bury the stigma that has haunted that number the last 5 years.

All I need now is some letters that speel "Schaub" to go on my Car jersey.

On second thought...

I think I'll retire the Carr jersey. Don't want to put a hex on the new QB.:victory:

HuttoKarl
03-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Management will be giving out free "Schaub" name patches to cover up old "Carr" patches at all home games this season.

:mario3: :mario2: :mario3:

nunusguy
03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
From a PR perspective - very puzzling and really totally brain-dead idea.
But perhaps Scahub had become sentimental about the # since its what
he's worn since being in the NFL, I dunno ?

infantrycak
03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Folks, don't get prematurely bent about this. It isn't rare for traded and drafted players to swap numbers during the OTA's and in training camp.

Errant Hothy
03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know I get this whole bad omen vibe at Schaub wearing #8.

03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Folks, don't get prematurely bent about this. It isn't rare for traded and drafted players to swap numbers during the OTA's and in training camp.

yeah, i was thinking the same.

Hervoyel
03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I just bought a battle red Carr jersey (the nice one, everything sewn on) for $25 on ebay with the intention of taking the Carr name off and either making it into a Schaub or customizing it with my own name (or maybe my message board name).

I'm of the opinion that if Matt Schaub does his job then in a year nobody will think he's wearing David Carr's old number. What he does on the field will make that number his own. If he fails then it will probably be a long time before you see another Texan wearing the number 8 (unless it's a punter or something, they're weird to begin with and wouldn't think twice about it).

Also I think if he has actually decided to continue wearing number 8 then maybe he's making a conscious decision to do the fans of Houston a favor. he just made a decision that gives everyone the option of "retreading" their David Carr jersey. He probably just created a small boom market in "SCHAUB" name-plates. If he saves the fans some money then he's going to get instant additional credit with the masses.

Also there will no doubt be a "SCHAUB" decal to cover the "CARR" on all of our McFarland David Carr figures.

El Tejano
03-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I know David wasn't loved much around here but from a collector's perspective, I would keep the David stuff. I mean he was the 1st ever pick of the franchise. 30 years from now our young ones on this board might be looking to pay a nice penny for it.

I put Schaub as #7 on my Madden.

nunusguy
03-27-2007, 04:01 PM
The more I think about this, the more I really wonder what the Texans are
thinking in regards to their fan base ?
A players number is basically symbolic, nothing more or nothing less.
And most fans in Houston want to now move beyond the whole Carr era for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is the disharmony among that very
fan base. And the organization obviously wants to move beyond the Carr years.
So why does it put Carrs old # on Schaubs back ? Unless Schaub himself has
a preference for #8, I am really dumbfounded ?

swisher
03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. He said himself he didn't care what number he wore, so why go with 8?

texans83
03-27-2007, 04:06 PM
personally I would like to see him in anything but 8 but I guess if thats what he wants then so be it. Just as long as he looks nothing like the old #8 we are all used too.

HoustonFrog
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. He said himself he didn't care what number he wore, so why go with 8?

Maybe McNair's man crush has over taken him and this way he can still believe and imagine "his #8.":)

A #7 or #12 would have been good by me.

Carr Bombed
03-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I would like him to wear #4, just to be a back hand to the Falcons if he does turn out to be a good Quarterback :this:

We turn our fear of #8 to Falcon fans everywhere fear of another #4 they let go that went on to have a great career

SLO Texan
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I think he should waer #7 like he did in college.

From reading his bio it seemed like he had to overcome alot in order to achieve what he did in his collegiate career. I bet #7 means alot to him in that respect.

Plus Chad Stanley kinda sucks and I would hope doesn't hold too much weight in the decision.

Oh yeah, I'd also rather not have our new QB have to carry the curse of #8. Let's go ahead and completely start over back there please!!!

GO TEXANS!!!

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Don't know if it's posted on here or not yet..but Hulk mentioned in another thread that Schaub and Carr talked and schaub ended up saying he's not going to wear 8, but likes 7.

That that for what it's worth.

He also so that schaub asked about homes in houston and carr said his was for sale...LOL.

RTP2110
03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I was at the Go Texans Store at Reliant today. I asked the lady when the Schaub gear would be in, and if she knew what number he would be. She didn't know when, but was pretty sure it would be next week. Also she said that Schaub's family was in earlier this week, and they were buying all the the #8 gear that didn't have Carr's name on it, that they could find.

Texanfan4ever
03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I was at the Go Texans Store at Reliant today. I asked the lady when the Schaub gear would be in, and if she knew what number he would be. She didn't know when, but was pretty sure it would be next week. Also she said that Schaub's family was in earlier this week, and they were buying all the the #8 gear that didn't have Carr's name on it, that they could find.

I hope you are wrong. I don't want him to be #8 for a WHOLE lot of reasons. It just doesn't feel right.

GP
03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Has anyone thought about this:

He's like a week old around here.

There's no way Schaub is going to attack Stanley for his No. 7 within a week of being the new QB.

I speculate he will wait until camp, then he'll make an offer to Stanley for No. 7.

It's too early to make such a move. Would appear classless.

And as far as Schaub's family being in the store, buying up all the No. 8 stuff that doesn't have Carr's name on it...I can't explain that, but there's got to be another reason. Maybe they are going to give it to NFLforher, threetoedpete, caddy, QB75, and hulk75, at rock bottom prices that nobody in town can beat?

They could just as easily wait until the Schaub merchandise rolls out, and I'm sure Schaub would score lots of freebies for them.

Anyways, I still hold out hope that he's going to be No. 7 later on in the summer.

santo
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
We need to retire the #8.

Ole Miss Texan
03-29-2007, 03:36 PM
We need to retire the #8.

Or all the players should vote at the end of the season on the most underachieving player on the team. then the following season that player has to wear #8.

MrTexan Slim
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Or all the players should vote at the end of the season on the most underachieving player on the team. then the following season that player has to wear #8.

Thats hilarious!!!!!:yahoo: :yahoo:

Awesome post! I totally agree. The "8th man" could also be in charge of picking up the tee, making sure theres plenty of water, hold the clipboard and make sure the coach's headset cords stay tightly wound.

Dean 74
03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
maybe i missed something but the website roster has him w/#8.
also on the website...is the world ending on 3.30.07?

Texanfan4ever
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
maybe i missed something but the website roster has him w/#8.
also on the website...is the world ending on 3.30.07?
I think so, it's been nice knowing ya'll. I hate change and I am not looking forward to the new website at all. I'm sure it will work out fine in the end.

HuttoKarl
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Being 8 now doesn't mean he won't barter for a new number when camp hits.

Guarantee nobody wants 8 though.

Personally...I'd take #1.

jlam
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
naw.. 9 would be pro-starter
10 would be pro-bowler

I respectfully disagree. :)

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/_photos/2006-09-07-brees.jpg

/shamelessplug

Texanfan4ever
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Being 8 now doesn't mean he won't barter for a new number when camp hits.

Guarantee nobody wants 8 though.

Personally...I'd take #1.

Me too.

SamuraiSword
03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
well alot of fans that go to the game and don't know about shcaub will probably be booing the number 8 because they probably think that is David Carr still. Schaub should reconsider a different number.

Nighthawk
03-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I don't know why, but having him NOT wear number 8 is oddly important to me. Any number but 8 is good. 7 was Pastorini's number, as I recall, and Moon, of course, was 1. Either of those would be fine.

But to come in and wear Carr's number will bring on too many bad memories.

devo-x
03-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree with #9 (It's a logical progression from college --> NFL backup --> NFL QB

:dance2:

Hervoyel
03-29-2007, 09:49 PM
I think I'm the only person in here who a) thinks it's just a stupid number and there's nothing negative about someone else wearing the #8, and b) thinks it would be really helpful if Schaub did wear #8 because then I could simply (and cheaply) reconfigure my Carr jersey to go with the new QB.

infantrycak
03-29-2007, 11:20 PM
I think I'm the only person in here who a) thinks it's just a stupid number and there's nothing negative about someone else wearing the #8, and b) thinks it would be really helpful if Schaub did wear #8 because then I could simply (and cheaply) reconfigure my Carr jersey to go with the new QB.

You're not the only one. While I initially started out thinking 7 would be better, after reading all the whining due to having to wring out scrotum hankies around here about numbers, the contrarian in me wants Schaub to have # 8.

Texan Asylum
03-29-2007, 11:53 PM
#12...He'll be the Texans' Tom Brady.

Ole Miss Texan
03-30-2007, 02:03 AM
well alot of fans that go to the game and don't know about shcaub will probably be booing the number 8 because they probably think that is David Carr still.

LOL, haha i can just see it. i would laugh so hard if THAT person was sitting next to me..booing and say " trade carr, houston is dumb for having him !! bla bla bla"

I don't know what I'd do but just laugh at him.

Ole Miss Texan
03-30-2007, 02:03 AM
well alot of fans that go to the game and don't know about shcaub will probably be booing the number 8 because they probably think that is David Carr still.

LOL, haha i can just see it. i would laugh so hard if THAT person was sitting next to me..booing and say " trade carr, houston is dumb for having him !! bla bla bla"

whiskeyrbl
03-30-2007, 05:08 AM

Either that or take his beer away.

Hookem Horns
03-30-2007, 06:05 AM
The Texans have him listed on the roster as number 8.

eric138
03-30-2007, 06:47 AM
This is going to be some funny stuff. WE have about a dozen or so clueless PSL holders around us that will think David is still on the team..

SnakeOilTanker
03-30-2007, 12:53 PM
dont know if its been posted yet, but they are sellin schaub jerseys with number 8

sleepwalker
03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I like 7.

uhcougar08
03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
dont know if its been posted yet, but they are sellin schaub jerseys with number 8

Why could you buy a Schaub #8 jersey if he was going to change it? I think he is going to stick with it, IMO.

DoCRoN
03-30-2007, 01:11 PM

Yes they are.... :(

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2666182&cp=2237591&parentPage=family

YellerLotYeller
03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Anything but 8...please.

uhcougar08
03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes they are.... :(

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2666182&cp=2237591&parentPage=family

That was not there yesterday, so #8 is his number. Where do I get the name patch for my Carr jersey?

YellerLotYeller
03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
8 huh.

That will take a while to get used to.