PDA

View Full Version : Theismann canned by ESPN from MNF crew

nunusguy
03-26-2007, 07:49 AM
NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Joe Theismann will not return as an analyst on "Monday Night Football" this season, according to reports from Newsday and The New York Times.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/25/theismann.removal/index.html

Trap_Star
03-26-2007, 07:52 AM
good riddance...

gtexan02
03-26-2007, 07:54 AM
YES! If they can ditch Kornheiser I'd be doubly thrilled. I like him in small doses...he can be funny, but dear god he talks like hes a moron

nunusguy
03-26-2007, 08:02 AM
If they can ditch Kornheiser I'd be doubly thrilled.
You're kidding, right ? Kornheiser is the one who fired Theisman.
I dunno why people like TK on MNF, all he does is read jokes from a teleprompter and make really dumb observations about football ?
My wife knows more about football than Kornheiser.

keyfro
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
come on tony is the funny guy on MNF...theismann oh well...who are they bringing in to replace him?

kastofsna
03-26-2007, 08:13 AM
bring in jaws or vermeil.

real
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM
They're bringing in Jaworski(sp?)

And I actually like Tony....

I think he makes a lot of Jokes, but at the same time I think he's pretty knowledgable about the game...

It's not like Dennis Miller who was strictyl a comedian...and not that good of one IMO...

Tony actually knows a good deal about sports...

kastofsna
03-26-2007, 08:20 AM
kornheiser is awful. not funny or knowledgable and has that ESPN-mindset of hype.

Trap_Star
03-26-2007, 08:28 AM
They're bringing in Jaworski(sp?)

And I actually like Tony....

I think he makes a lot of Jokes, but at the same time I think he's pretty knowledgable about the game...

It's not like Dennis Miller who was strictyl a comedian...and not that good of one IMO...

Tony actually knows a good deal about sports...

Why the heck does he always ask stupid questions?..."Oh...so the object of the game is to throw the football foward, right?"...

nunusguy
03-26-2007, 08:28 AM
come on tony is the funny guy on MNF
Dang, I said he tells jokes.
What do you want, comedy or football banter ?
People may not like Theisman, but unlike Kornheiser he knows something about football.
You want a funny guy, I say bring on Garry Shandling, there's a guy with a
very funny schtick.

Sportsfan
03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Great news. Now they just need to get rid of Kornheiser. I like him just not on MNF, he needs to focus on PTI, one of the best sports shows on tv.

real
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Why the heck does he always ask stupid questions?..."Oh...so the object of the game is to throw the football foward, right?"...

I don't remember that specific question, but I understand what you're talking about...

But my answer to that would be: "to each his own"....I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as other people....I loved the way he gave Theisman such a hard time. I think those "stupid" questions were just a low key way of him taking shots at Theisman...

Dang, I said he tells jokes.
What do you want, comedy or football banter ?
People may not like Theisman, but unlike Kornheiser he knows something about football.
You want a funny guy, I say bring on Garry Shandling, there's a guy with a
very funny schtick.

MNF has always been about entertainment and silliness in the booth...Atleast they didn't just stick a comedian in there and actually got someone with knowledge about sports...JMO

Trap_Star
03-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't remember that specific question, but I understand what you're talking about...

But my answer to that would be: "to each his own"....I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as other people....I loved the way he gave Theisman such a hard. I think those "stupid" questions were just a low key way of him taking shots at Theisman...

Yeah, i guess...I just find him annoying....

I rather have Charles Barkley in the booth...now that would be entertaining...:dance2:

Specnatz
03-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Kornhieser ask the so called stupid questions because Theisman is always saying some inconsequential comment about a play or a player. things regaurding what he could or should have done that is completely out of the realm of a possibility. Theismans job was to add color commentary not try and dominate the both and think he is the star of the game versus the players.

Even though he is a Notre Dame alumni but I am glad to see he got axed. He made a fool out of himself long enough.

Rightnow
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Kornheiser is so bad I've stopped watching for a bit and turned on the radio.

Mr. White
03-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I know it would never happen, but every time that someone gets canned from MNF, I always hope that Jim Rome gets the job. He would do wonders for MNF's ratings. People would tune in just to see what he has to say.

A guy that knows sports and has a sense of humor.

powerfuldragon
03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
who's kornheiser gonna make fun of now?

Reddevil63
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Kornheiser's role is to ask the questions the person who doesn't know alot about football would ask. And Vinny beat me with the Bill Walton reference :joker:

real
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
about time. Theisman was inconsistent and didn't do his homework, not to mention the fact that he would often say something dumb just to be contrary...I often found him saying things like, "when the ball gets wet it becomes easier to throw", when someone would comment that it may be a tough day for the QB's when it was raining.....his Bill Walton factor was off the scale.

Exactly.

IMO, they got rid of the right guy.

Please_Evolve
03-26-2007, 11:43 AM
about time. Theisman was inconsistent and didn't do his homework, not to mention the fact that he would often say something dumb just to be contrary...I often found him saying things like, "when the ball gets wet it becomes easier to throw", when someone would comment that it may be a tough day for the QB's when it was raining.....his Bill Walton factor was off the scale.

I like the Walton Comparison. My vote goes for Michael Smith, but with my luck they'd put Skip Bayless on there.

:hairpull:

real
03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Just in case no one caught it, he's going to be replaced by Ron Jawarski(sp?)

Reddevil63
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Should have put Michael Wilbon up there, they are great together.

powerfuldragon
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM

http://timberwolves.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03/26/ron-jaworski-to-replace-joe-theismann-on-mnf/
you called it, it's jaws.

Theismann is expected to be offered another job at the network, but no one could blame him if he decides to walk away entirely: After all, Theismann has been one of the commentators for ESPN's NFL broadcasts for nearly two decades, making him one of the most prominent sportscasters in television. Any job the Worldwide Leader could offer him would be perceived as a major demotion.

Jaworski, of course, will be great. He always provides in-depth analysis that hard-core fans like, but he doesn't get bogged down in coaching jargon that could confuse casual fans. He'll also make his partner, Tony Kornheiser, better. He and Kornheiser have a natural chemistry, as evidenced by Jaworski's frequent appearances as a guest on Pardon the Interruption, and that chemistry should make the Monday Night broadcast better for everyone.

kastofsna
03-26-2007, 12:09 PM
perfect. well, not perfect, but much better. to me, jaws and vermeil combined with tirico would be the ideal booth.

aj.
03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Some of my favorite tv watching is when Jaws breaks down film on Matchup. He stays current and knows his stuff. He also isn't adverse to self-depracating humor like that stuffed shirt he's replacing. "When I played" doesn't play 25 years after the fact.

Please_Evolve
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Some of my favorite tv watching is when Jaws breaks down film on Matchup. He stays current and knows his stuff. He also isn't adverse to self-depracating humor like that stuffed shirt he's replacing. "When I played" doesn't play 25 years after the fact.

I hope he still appears on Monday night Football gig.Agreed too about when he breaks down film. Not the biggest Kornheiser fan though.

nunusguy
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Kornheiser's role is to ask the questions the person who doesn't know alot about football would ask.
OK, I get it now. Well if that's his role, then I was dead wrong about Kornheiser.
He's perfect for the job.

ccdude730
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Should have put Michael Wilbon up there, they are great together.

YES to wilbon!!! ...but to replace tony - not be up there with him.

as for the other character, jaws, i dont really like him too much but he is pretty good with his material and breaking down plays with showing tendencies and presnap adjustments and such. i could live with him but i would rather have a former coach (reeves? marty? cowher?)

Specnatz
03-26-2007, 04:34 PM
perfect. well, not perfect, but much better. to me, jaws and vermeil combined with tirico would be the ideal booth.

No because you would have to have 15 min breaks between Vermeil crying and sobing like his dog just got run over by the ice cream truck.

Koolaid Time
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM

MNF's shift to ESPN is not working out. Revenues and ratings still on downward track.

One idea to boost interest is to make the MNF game a floater based upon standings, fan interest, etc. ESPN picks what appears to be the best game 1-2 weeks ahead, with that game being moved to Monday. NFL isn't too keen on the idea though.

kastofsna
03-26-2007, 05:19 PM
it's working for ESPN, that's for sure.

aproberts03
03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
im glad theismann is gone and jaws is coming

keyfro
03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
personally i think they could have done a lot better than jaws...but oh well...more time for tony :dance2:

Texan_Aggie222
03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Sure, I would be all for putting Wilibon on there, as well as the Around the Horn guys. Woody Paige and Jay Mariotti, don't forget about Adande's lounge and Time Cowlishaw.

I think putting Jaw's on there is a good move. He is the only guy I actually learn from while watching ESPN.

HoustonFan
03-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Good job. Couldn't stand Theisman, much like I can't stand Bill Walton.

Specnatz
03-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Well since Espin does does do the Arena football he could always go and do that. He could do better than Mike and Mike as commentators.

TEXANRED
03-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Everyone wants to be like John Madden.

I liked Theisman when he was with the old Sunday Night Football crew.

Texan_Bill
03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
MNF has always been about entertainment and silliness in the booth...Atleast they didn't just stick a comedian in there and actually got someone with knowledge about sports...JMO

Exactly... 30 years ago, I was laughing at "Dandy" Don Meredith but he knew football...

I think Jaworski will be fine in the booth!!

Showtime100
03-28-2007, 02:04 AM
The only reason I'm not happy with the deal is because Tony K is still there. Tony is one of the reasons ESPN isn't anywhere near what it could be. Watching PTI and ATH back to back, with them rambling on about the same topics as each other, is like looking at a piece of dog doo with a mirror behind it so you get both sides of the same pile of crap.