PDA

View Full Version : #2 Reciever

mike230765
03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
I just wanted to get others opinion on this.

If the Texans don't get a WR till the 2nd day do you think that David Anderson will end up winning the #2 reciever spot? I know Kubiak likes him and he does have some speed and quickness to him. Then the #3 reciever would be Kevin Walters. Jerome and whoever we pick up would fight for the #4 spot.

htownfoozball
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
the draft is deep enough in WR's that you could find a very productive #2 WR in the 4th or 5th.

LORK 88
03-25-2007, 11:14 PM
the draft is deep enough in WR's that you could find a very productive #2 WR in the 4th or 5th.
Agreed. Not sure if anyone remembers this, but at the combine Kubiak was interviewed and said that he thought 2 positions in the draft were the deepest: WR and OT.

beerlover
03-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Agreed. Not sure if anyone remembers this, but at the combine Kubiak was interviewed and said that he thought 2 positions in the draft were the deepest: WR and OT.

sure wr is deep but ot :confused: i'm having serious doubts about this regime :rolleyes:

Please_Evolve
03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Looking back in Denver when the receiving corps pretty much consisted of Rod Smith, Ed McCaffery and Shannon Sharpe at TE. I think we'll get by fine with what we're setting in place. Not saying Walter is as good as Ed but if he can develop into that sort of guy this offense could be fun to watch.

keyfro
03-25-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah i'm not worried about our WR's...i think between walter, mathis, and anderson we have some solid receivers opposite andre...sure andre is gonna get double teamed...but when teams start to realize that walter can catch too they'll have to adjust and andre will once again dominate the league because he is angry dre' :superman:

Marcus
03-26-2007, 12:55 AM

sure wr is deep but ot :confused: i'm having serious doubts about this regime :rolleyes:

beerlover, just because your draft has been ruined, it doesn't mean the draft itself has been ruined. They could get a WR and OT with the 1st and 3rd picks, or vice versa. And if they draft well, still pick up another good pick in the 4th.

I know that dwelling on the negative is the hallmark of a message board, but jeeez.

TexanSam
03-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Johnnie Lee Higgens in the 3rd round!

Second Honeymoon
03-26-2007, 01:10 AM
i think we may be surprised at who we can pick up as the 2nd WR. You may have some decent options off the waiver wire. I think we are going to be built around the running game so I think our TE play will be as important if not more important than our #2 WR. Luckily, we addressed that position last year with The Weatherman. Ironically, it was a Casserley pick. He championed him in the war room. It was Casserley's Swan Song to say sorry to all us fans.

Second Honeymoon
03-26-2007, 01:12 AM

you mean Johnnie Lee Higgens Jr.!!

if that name doesnt sound like a Houston Texan, what the hell does? it would be nice if aaron ross dropped to 3rd round and then Higgens dropped to our 4th round....landry schaub ross higgens would be a great haul in the first 4 rounds

joedinkle
03-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Coach K has years of NFL experience that you don't. Not only that, but I'm sure he's seen more of the prospects in person and on tape than any of us have. He drafted Charles Spencer, remember? If he sees something he likes in a later round, let's wait and see how they perform instead of bashing them before they're even drafted.

Maddict5
03-26-2007, 07:13 AM

beerlover, just because your draft has been ruined, it doesn't mean the draft itself has been ruined. They could get a WR and OT with the 1st and 3rd picks, or vice versa. And if they draft well, still pick up another good pick in the 4th.

I know that dwelling on the negative is the hallmark of a message board, but jeeez.

Coach K has years of NFL experience that you don't. Not only that, but I'm sure he's seen more of the prospects in person and on tape than any of us have. He drafted Charles Spencer, remember? If he sees something he likes in a later round, let's wait and see how they perform instead of bashing them before they're even drafted.

im pretty sure he was being sarcastic....esp with the :rolleyes: at the end

coachdent
03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
For all those folks who thought that Eric Moulds was the carbon copy of perfection for a number two wide receiver and such a huge asset... why is he still out on the street?

How then can anyone justify being ok with moving an unproductive #3 guy into that role and expect better things? I know the wicked witch of the west is out of here, but if we're still throwing balls to Toto over there, we don't have much chance of hitting the yellow brick road to the playoffs. :confused:

...ok, perhaps I took the Wizard of Oz theme a tad bit too far!

shanden
03-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Considering Carr was lousy at going through his WR progressions before a dump off, it is very hard from a fan perspective to say it was the #3WR that was performing bad.

There were numerous times in games when receivers would be open and a dump off occurred instead. I think it would take a lot of film, studying routes and practice field performance to have any guage on how good/bad the young WR ares.

tulexan
03-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I really wouldn't be surprised if we traded down and picked Ted Ginn Jr.

coachdent
03-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Considering Carr was lousy at going through his WR progressions before a dump off, it is very hard from a fan perspective to say it was the #3WR that was performing bad.

There were numerous times in games when receivers would be open and a dump off occurred instead. I think it would take a lot of film, studying routes and practice field performance to have any guage on how good/bad the young WR ares.

He certainly got through his second progression and found Moulds covered. That was my point. Moulds was NOT a viable #2 NFL receiver. So if our #3 could not supplant him at number 2, then he obviously was not a better option then and he doesn't magically become better now that he has been moved from three to two.

The statute of limitations on blaming Carr is rapidly coming to an end for folks. At some point and time, we are going to have to face the cold hard facts that we are not a complete football team at every position. There are some holes there. #2 WR is one of them. Don't hand me Walters, a healthier Mathis, Gaitlin or whomever comes down the pike on this roster and tell us that sans Carr we're better now. A draft pick... perhaps. But don't tell me that somneone on our existing roster is a better option now. That's Cocoa for Cocoa Puffs. :joker:

keyfro
03-26-2007, 09:39 AM
i don't know what went on with moulds...maybe age simply caught up to him...but he definetly was a good influence on andre...i think the impression he left on andre will be seen for years to come...either way the manor of which moulds carried himself in the business was with class and hard work

our team right now has some options...but we do need to add atleast one more in the offense...whether the team decides to add that early in the draft or with a mid-rounder will be determined next month

personally i think we can get a guy with a mid-rounder and it turn out just fine...but kubiak might just want to finish the offense he has created and maybe he already has a guy in mind that he wants...maybe it's one of the top WR's in this draft maybe it's a guy he can get later

i remember seeing on footallsfuture.com that kubiak had met with courtney taylor from auburn and liked the fact that he was willing to make the tough catch in traffic...there is a lot to be said about a receiver who will make that catch and block for the running game

Dallas_Texan
03-26-2007, 09:43 AM

You are right about that. Still.... I see Dwayne Jarrett in our future. Damien Hughes in the third, and an LT in the 4th. An AJ/Jarrett tandem would be incredible, and I think with Schaub being better at making his reads, Walter will become a bigger part of this club.

I'm not happy about what we gave up, but I'm definitely getting on board with the Schaub pick-up.

real
03-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I think the Texans can go in so many directions from this point...

Just my personal thoughts on the draft:

I don't think we'll be taking a WR early...We already have Walters, AJ, Mathis, Anderson who I hope will all make the team....I think the Texans may target a Jason Hill, Aundrae Allison type player in the third or fourth round.

I believe our first round pick is spent on defense pretty much no matter what....

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-26-2007, 11:04 AM

THAT would be strong!!!!!

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I really wouldn't be surprised if we traded down and picked Ted Ginn Jr.

THAT would be a disaster. Higgins is the same size and a far better receiver.

DRAMA
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
You are right about that. Still.... I see Dwayne Jarrett in our future. Damien Hughes in the third, and an LT in the 4th. An AJ/Jarrett tandem would be incredible, and I think with Schaub being better at making his reads, Walter will become a bigger part of this club.

I'm not happy about what we gave up, but I'm definitely getting on board with the Schaub pick-up.

I like that! Jarrett's hand seem to just pluck the ball from the air. That cat can run routes and catch the ball...being 6'5" helps a little as well. If I'm Houston, I try to trade down a 4 spots or so and grab Jarrett and see if we can't get an extra 3 or 4.

Of course, if Kubes like our WR, I say grab Landry, Hall, Nelson, or Levi/Staley.

HoustonFrog
03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Excuse me if I'm repeating stuff..at work and can't read it all...but if we move down to middle of the 1st round I wouldn't mind at all taking one of the WRs out there. They need some guys to make more plays and it wouldn't be a reach at #10...pick up a pick and get a #2.