PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on the Schaub trade

blockhead83
03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
This has probably been posted but on In the Huddle this morning Clayton panned the trade saying:
- Schaub probably won't do much better than Carr did.
- It all boils down to passing on Reggie Bush last year (that's verbatim I think, what a putz)
- We released Domanick, Carr, and Moulds and their replacements are going to hurt us in the pocket book.
- We still have a crappy O-Line that we've done nothing to change.

My thoughts on his comments:
While Schaub and Ahman Green don't necessarily have cheap contracts, they are much less than the contracts we would've had had we drafted Reggie last year and a QB in the 1st this year. Passing on Reggie Bush is hardly the base of the problem, he's not even the best running back on his team. Domanick Williams not working out was not the FO's fault, they stuck with him to make sure we didn't let him go if he was going to come back, but him not being able to overcome his injury is not his or our fault. Ahman Green's deal is not that rough on the cap.

I do agree with his assessment as far as the OL and Moulds go. Is Schaub going to be able to do better than Carr did with the same OL and no real #2 receiver? That's alot to ask of him, IMO. We've signed and resigned some good depth along the OL, which has always been a problem, but we still have big question marks at both tackle positions and the center position. Counting on Spencer is a gamble, Winston hasn't had a full year of experience at RT, and Flanagan has injury problems. We need a #2 WR, and another starter quality tackle IMO, to give Schaub a fair chance at success.

It seems as though most people in the Houston media are praising the trade, while everyone outside of Houston is panning it. That's been the norm for us the last couple years. I think Schaub could be a good QB, but I don't see us taking a big step forward this year unless we fix the holes that will still be around him.

otisbean
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't say everyone is panning the trade. The guys at the NFL network and Fox has been praising the trade.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Not trying to defend Clayton, but David wasn't going to cost us $8 million/year, until '08. We've got the next three years of Schaub for $8 million/year.

DDW was costing us about $3million a year. Green, $5million.

But so what. I believe Schaub will perform like an $8 million QB, and Green will at least be on the field for the $5million we are paying him.

If neither do, we'll cut them.

I feel bad about the DDW thing though. He was my favorite Texan.

keyfro
03-25-2007, 12:16 PM
you know everyone has their opinions on this trade...i personally like how all of a sudden the texans are being talked about in the national media...some positive some negative...but i remember hearing the saying that there is no bad publicity...because as long as they're talking about us it's better than them not talking about us

i could care less what they are saying because soon they'll be mentioning how this trade was the spark that set off the fire that became the texans first winning season :yahoo: :victory: :superman:

Pantherstang84
03-25-2007, 12:17 PM
John Clayton

He almost always wrong.

However, for some odd reason, the folks at BSPN thinks he is some kind of football genius.

He writes opinions and that is all.

I will take the opinion of people who actually run a football franchise over some sports geek any day.

HoustonFrog
I wouldn't say everyone is panning the trade. The guys at the NFL network and Fox has been praising the trade.

That's what I read too. The O-line thing is a matter of what side of the fence you are on. Last year I thought the line was greatly improved, even with injuries. I also think it depends on one guy, Green, being your consistent runner and if Schaub acts different in the pocket.

Honoring Earl 34
I think the media will not get off the Texans back until they're really good .

I guess if Reggie pulls a Pacman ... that will help to .

Errant Hothy
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Me thinks that somebody in the Carr families has photos on somebody at ESPN, in there opinion Carr shoulder none of the blame.

HuttoKarl
03-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Not trying to defend Clayton, but David wasn't going to cost us $8 million/year, until '08. We've got the next three years of Schaub for $8 million/year.

But so what. I believe Schaub will perform like an $8 million QB, and Green will at least be on the field for the $5million we are paying him.

3 million a year is quite a bit for a guy who doesn't play. I'll take the player for 5 any day.

Honoring Earl 34
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Me thinks that somebody in the Carr families has photos on somebody at ESPN, in there opinion Carr shoulder none of the blame.

The Carr's must have more dirt on people than J Edgar Hoover .

blockhead83
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Yea something I forgot to mention is I think Schaub will make the OL look better. Carr never proved he could read/beat the blitz and beat man coverage so opposing D's could pin their ears back and blitz consistently. Schaub's supposedly great at reading D's and finding the open man, and if he can do that then we should see less blitzes, and our OL will have an easier time blocking. Factor in Schaub's greater pocket awareness and Green's pass protection ability, and our OL will probably look improved next year.

I've heard that Fox sports has given the trade a thumbs up, who said what about it on the NFL Network?

TexansSB07
03-25-2007, 12:30 PM
This has probably been posted but on In the Huddle this morning Clayton panned the trade saying:
- It all boils down to passing on Reggie Bush last year (that's verbatim I think, what a putz)
- We released Domanick, Carr, and Moulds and their replacements are going to hurt us in the pocket book.

While Schaub and Ahman Green don't necessarily have cheap contracts, they are much less than the contracts we would've had had we drafted Reggie last year and a QB in the 1st this year. Passing on Reggie Bush is hardly the base of the problem, he's not even the best running back on his team. Domanick Williams not working out was not the FO's fault, they stuck with him to make sure we didn't let him go if he was going to come back, but him not being able to overcome his injury is not his or our fault. Ahman Green's deal is not that rough on the cap.

I do agree with his assessment as far as the OL and Moulds go. Is Schaub going to be able to do better than Carr did with the same OL and no real #2 receiver? That's alot to ask of him, IMO. We've signed and resigned some good depth along the OL, which has always been a problem, but we still have big question marks at both tackle positions and the center position. Counting on Spencer is a gamble, Winston hasn't had a full year of experience at RT, and Flanagan has injury problems. We need a #2 WR, and another starter quality tackle IMO, to give Schaub a fair chance at success.

It seems as though most people in the Houston media are praising the trade, while everyone outside of Houston is panning it. That's been the norm for us the last couple years. I think Schaub could be a good QB, but I don't see us taking a big step forward this year unless we fix the holes that will still be around him.

ESPN hates it, WE DID SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!!!!:yahoo:

nunusguy
03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Had they not picked up Schaub, they would have almost certainly used a first day pick on a rookie QB this year, and maybe the top pick for Quinn.
So they've still got their other 2 first day picks and all of their Day 2 picks.
So they are basically out only next years 2nd rounder, which will be a very
modest premium to pay for Schaub if he's just a competant and
dependable and yet average NFL QB.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 12:34 PM
3 million a year is quite a bit for a guy who doesn't play. I'll take the player for 5 any day.

Just saying that Clayton was right about those two.... the replacement for CArr is more expensive than Carr himself. The replacement for Davis is more expensive than Davis himself.

bigTEXan8
03-25-2007, 01:37 PM
it never fails to amaze me how anti-carr some people are on this board. it's all good, but it's just funny to me. think about it like this: houston has gone almost as far as dubbing March 22 as "matt schaub" day...even though he's completely unproven.

clayton is right on half the stuff (i don't know the semantics about the pocket book line, and i still don't think passing on bush was such a bad thing). i don't believe schaub will do much better than carr. to me, the only advantage schaub has over carr is schaub hasn't been sacked 245 times (someone correct me if i'm wrong on that number). the texan's haven't really done much in the means of improving the o-line. i don't think anyone can honestly say that spencer and winston are improvments, especially spencer is coming off serious injury.

clayton wouldn't still be hired at espn if he didn't know half of what he was talkin' about, especially if espn could bring in some ex-nfl player to give more player insight. i also find it funny that most of the people on espn think that carr was given a raw deal in houston, and yet, a majority of the people on this board would send a moving truck to the carr household to get him and his family out quicker.

potisyourfriend
03-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Just saying that Clayton was right about those two.... the replacement for CArr is more expensive than Carr himself. The replacement for Davis is more expensive than Davis himself.

How much was Moulds getting if he stayed around this year? So if we draft a WR then it may just be the same amount of money for the new 3 than the old 3..

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Good way to look at it.

Schaub at $8 million- has a better chance of performing to his contract than carr.

Carr at $5 million- we've seen what he's been doing w/ that money/year. We are overpaying him just to have someone lying on their back in the middle of the field for half the game.

Green at $5 million- has a better chance of performing to his contract than Domanic.

Domanick- $3 million a year is an awful lot for someone who didn't play for us on carry last season and won't ever in the future. His injury was very unfortunate...but he may never see the nfl field again.

A Texan
03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
The Carr's must have more dirt on people than J Edgar Hoover .
The only dirt J. Edger has is the dirt that's been on top of him for about the last 35 years.

Honoring Earl 34
03-25-2007, 01:52 PM
The only dirt J. Edger has is the dirt that's been on top of him for about the last 35 years.

During his time Hoover was arguably the most powerfull man in America .

He had files on everyboby .

He had the same guy as his live in assistant for years ... Hmmm .

Daonly
03-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Has Moulds signed on with another club? ok next question...

HoustonFrog
03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Had they not picked up Schaub, they would have almost certainly used a first day pick on a rookie QB this year, and maybe the top pick for Quinn.
So they've still got their other 2 first day picks and all of their Day 2 picks.
So they are basically out only next years 2nd rounder, which will be a very
modest premium to pay for Schaub if he's just a competant and
dependable and yet average NFL QB.

That is what I have been saying. they contemplated..so we are told..moving a second up to get Quinn..if not we were using one of our first day picks on QB. So we moved down two spots and got the QB pick..the 2nd rounder. So overall it is next years second. I actually look for them to move down again and pick up more picks.

bigbrewster2000
03-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Schaub is not going to cost us 8 mil for the first 3 years it is 6.67mil for the first 3 years. 20 mil first 3years and 28mil 2nd 3 years. That was the way they reported it in the chronicle.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Good way to look at it.

Schaub at $8 million- has a better chance of performing to his contract than carr.

Carr at $5 million- we've seen what he's been doing w/ that money/year. We are overpaying him just to have someone lying on their back in the middle of the field for half the game.

Green at $5 million- has a better chance of performing to his contract than Domanic.

Domanick- $3 million a year is an awful lot for someone who didn't play for us on carry last season and won't ever in the future. His injury was very unfortunate...but he may never see the nfl field again.

David was costing us $7 mill a year... avg over the time he was with the Texans.

But my point was that if Green & Schaub don't get it done, we'll replace them. We don't have to worry about any mis-placed affections of the team owner providing a guaranteed roster spot for players that aren't producing.

We also don't have to worry about starting players because we goofed up and gave them bad contracts..... i.e. Walker, Wade, etc...

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2007, 02:35 PM
David was costing us $7 mill a year... avg over the time he was with the Texans.

But my point was that if Green & Schaub don't get it done, we'll replace them. We don't have to worry about any mis-placed affections of the team owner providing a guaranteed roster spot for players that aren't producing.

We also don't have to worry about starting players because we goofed up and gave them bad contracts..... i.e. Walker, Wade, etc...

Gotcha yea i forgot about carr's 2 mill bonus every year.

Green's contract is set up where we could cut him after a year or 2 if we needed to and not be in the situation like the bad contracts you mentioned.

Schaub's contract isn't terrible either, it's set up kinda like carr's was where we have that option to extend it for a bonus...I don't see the FO making the same mistake twice. IF Schaub doesn't get it done in the first 3 years, he's not getting that enormous bonus and extension. But i think we'll make the playoffs by then!

potisyourfriend
03-25-2007, 02:40 PM
During his time Hoover was arguably the most powerfull man in America .

He had files on everyboby .

He had the same guy as his live in assistant for years ... Hmmm .

He was also corrupt..

jvaldez1984
03-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Why would you believe anything that this guy says?
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/jvaldez1984/jclayton.jpg
Just because he looks like Yoda does not mean he is wise!

keyfro
03-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I think the media will not get off the Texans back until they're really good .

I guess if Reggie pulls a Pacman ... that will help to .

you are 100% right on...the media usually doesn't paint a positive picture of houston sport teams...texans are no different...a lot of this will continue simply because we didn't take the california human joystick in reggie bush...everyone in the nation wanted him to be the number 1 pick and since we didn't pick him the nation feels like we stubbed him and them...because we made so many "experts" who said there is no way they pass on him look stupid...just goes to show you that all the "experts" really don't know anything

FalconsFan
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM

That's right on.

Tulip
03-25-2007, 03:56 PM
That's so irritating. Reggie Bush has nothing whatsover to do with this trade.

All Kubiak and Smith can do is deal with where they are right now. They can't look backwards in making moves for the future of this team.

Besides, one year later, I still think Mario Williams was a better choice for the Texans than Reggie Bush.

DatTexBoy
03-25-2007, 04:05 PM

I heard this guy and was like "Is ESPN serious?!" But this is only a matter of opinion...I think us fans have been able to digest enough of Carr to know that he is better off somewhere else. And if he gave us any glimmer of hope that he would still be here. But it is what it is and we have to start over. And the fans that continue to gripe and moan over Carr should look at the Oilers and Carr as a "yeah, it would have been nice but"... type of a deal

It's painful but let's move forward. Schaub needs our cheers now! One thing that I liked about Carr was his durability...how will Schaub peel himself from the field...is he a "tough guy"? Time will tell on this one...I'm just waiting to see...anybody still trying to sell Texans tickets around here???

infantrycak
03-25-2007, 04:19 PM

Carr was to make $6.75 mil in salary this year and cost $8.75 mil on the cap. Schaub is playing for $950k in salary this year and a cap hit of $2.17 mil.

Green is on the cap for $3.25 mil this year, i.e. less than DD/DW would have been.

Pantherstang84
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Attention John Clayton, ESPN, Adam Schein, John McClain, Richard Justice, whiny Texans fans, Vince Young Fans, David Carr fans, NFL Fans in general, NFL sports media types:

In 2006 The Houston Texans did not draft any of the following individuals in the 1st round of the NFL draft:

Matt Leinart
Vince Young
Reggie Bush
Jay Cutler
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer
or
Jesus Christ himself

Get over it!

We already have.

Sincerely,

Real Texans Fans

Pantherstang84
03-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Is it just me or does this guy look like he was the president of the Chess Club?

big puma
03-25-2007, 04:28 PM
looks like he could use a little sleep

DocBar
03-25-2007, 04:33 PM
John Clayton cracks me up. He writes about guys that used to give him swirlies in high school. I bet the only sport the guy ever tried out for is the chess club or debate team. Nothing wrong with either one, but they sure don't make you insightful into pro football.

Wolf
03-25-2007, 04:37 PM
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/capblog/2005/03/22/mr_magoo.jpg

???

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Carr was to make $6.75 mil in salary this year and cost $8.75 mil on the cap. Schaub is playing for $950k in salary this year and a cap hit of $2.17 mil.

Green is on the cap for $3.25 mil this year, i.e. less than DD/DW would have been.

according to yesterdays update on HPF (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html) you are correct.

Except I thought David was going to earn $5.75 million in '07, and an even $6million in '08... but whatever.

NFLforher
03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Honoring Earl 34;640864]I think the media will not get off the Texans back until they're really good .QUOTE]

Once that happens they'll shut up.

ledzeppelin229
03-25-2007, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=Honoring Earl 34;640864]I think the media will not get off the Texans back until they're really good .QUOTE]

Once that happens they'll shut up.

Thats what we say. The Astros and Rockets have had great teams and still been ridiculed by the media.

ledzeppelin229
03-25-2007, 05:12 PM
I always thought there was a striking resemblance between the two..mmkay?.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1269/claytonmackeyda2.jpg

Wolf
03-25-2007, 05:16 PM
good one, I was trying to think of that!

DocBar
03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
I always thought there was a striking resemblance between the two..mmkay?.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1269/claytonmackeyda2.jpg I see the resem blence, but he always reminded me of Mr. Hanky the Christmas pooh when I hear him talk. LOL
:joker:

aj.
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
We've got the next three years of Schaub for $8 million/year.

If you guys are going to debate stuff, at least base your arguments on facts. Schaub's cap numbers (what really matters) for the next three years are:

'07 - $2.2 million
'08 - $6.1 million
'09 - $8.2 million

If you're into 'averages,' (which I'm not), that's about a $5.5 million per year cap hit before they have to exercise any options on his deal. If he plays up to the deal, then exercising the option in Year 4 is a no-brainer and everyone is happy. If he doesn't play up to the deal, he gets cut prior to '10 and about 25 million of that money you're arguing about now will go to the next guy and $3.5 will become dead money.

mike230765
03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
John Clayton reminds me of Sloth.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 06:12 PM
If you guys are going to debate stuff, at least base your arguments on facts. Schaub's cap numbers (what really matters) for the next three years are:

'07 - $2.2 million
'08 - $6.1 million
'09 - $8.2 million

If you're into 'averages,' (which I'm not), that's about a $5.5 million per year cap hit before they have to exercise any options on his deal. If he plays up to the deal, then exercising the option in Year 4 is a no-brainer and everyone is happy. If he doesn't play up to the deal, he gets cut prior to '10 and about 25 million of that money you're arguing about now will go to the next guy and $3.5 will become dead money.

Ok, Ok, infantrycak already slapped my hands. I was going on the 6 year $48million deal that we knew about. If you don't mind posting a link to your source, showing the breakdown, that would be great.

With the numbers you're showing, I'm even more thrilled about the Schaub deal than I was when I thought we were paying him what basically boils down to $8million a year for the next six years.

aj.
03-25-2007, 06:21 PM
There isn't a link to what I posted but you can figure it out from different sources. It's really not hard. Go to hpf and look at their cap pages for '07 and '08. Then go to the NFLPA player resource page or numerous media reports for the base salaries. Prorate the 7 million s/b over 6 years and add it to the base salaries. You'll end up with the numbers I posted.

Navy_Chris
03-25-2007, 06:39 PM

ESPN's constantly dogging the Texans. I don't pay any attention to it. They'll get used to the good things the Kubiak era will bring and they'll change their tone.

DBCooper
03-25-2007, 09:25 PM
And the part that we have done nothing to help our offensive line is not true. Jordan Black should add some quality depth to the line, especially if Spencer can get back in form.

Maddict5
03-26-2007, 06:17 AM

who cares if they're cheaper...its all about are they worth it (bang for the buck)...in carr's and DD's case neither were
we'll see with schaub and green

GNTLEWOLF
03-26-2007, 06:21 AM
And the part that we have done nothing to help our offensive line is not true. Jordan Black should add some quality depth to the line, especially if Spencer can get back in form.

You talkin' bout hwy 65?(as he was called in KC)

texun
03-26-2007, 06:48 AM
who cares if they're cheaper...its all about are they worth it (bang for the buck)...in carr's and DD's case neither were
we'll see with schaub and green

Exactly right. It's all about value for the money and the value of Schaub / Green is much better than Carr / DDW.

kastofsna
03-26-2007, 07:40 AM
clayton lost all credibility here just by bringing up reggie bush. typical ESPN. houston trades for a quarterback and they think reggie bush. bill parcels retires and they think terrell owens. stupid, idiotic reporting.

TexanExile
03-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Speaking of no credibility...check out this collection of idiots (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=2809870) discussing the Carr cut on the ESPN website. Same old easy know-nothing beliefs in what's wrong with Houston if you live in Newark and get all your news from Bristol. Apparently underinformed columnists attract underinformed discussions--go figure.

In Schein's defense, though, I listen to his show almost daily and he actually does treat the Texans pretty well. No, he doesn't agree with everything the franchise does/did, but he brings the team up in the right context (discussions about FA WRs, teams on the rise, etc.) where other media outlets forget the team exists.

On a related note, this morning Randy Cross was on NFL Radio talking about the weekend media coverage of Carr/Schaub. He was shocked that anybody thought the Texans could get ANYTHING for Carr. He didn't say it directly, but the point was that the writing was on the wall since December that Carr wouldn't be back...so why bother trading for something you know you can get much cheaper?

But enough about that. It's over. Let's turn the page. This will, hopefully, be my last post involving the name "Carr." Let's talk Texans...not history.

HuttoKarl
03-26-2007, 08:32 AM
according to yesterdays update on HPF (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html) you are correct.

Except I thought David was going to earn $5.75 million in '07, and an even $6million in '08... but whatever.

It sickens me that Kris Brown is 12th on our cap hit list.

When can we get a new kicker?

Wait till next year, I guess. :joker:

I love Andre on top of that list. Then we see Weaver and Greenwood, who make a bit more than they should....guess it took some cash to make anyone want to play for a 2-14 team.

HuttoKarl
03-26-2007, 08:41 AM
I forgot to add that John Clayton is obviously chromosomally challenged. Nobody with all their genetics together looks like that....small hands, underdeveloped chin....tiny muscle-less body....something's not right with Clayton.

keyfro
03-26-2007, 08:46 AM
hey i agree with need a new kicking game period...stanley has to be first to go though...he's 35yds punts with the wind is something i can do...and i'm probably just as accurate as he is...however we probably will add another punter after the draft to challenge him and that guy will probably win the job...i see no reason why kubiak would rely on stanley again

in regards to clayton...he does look like the sloth from ice age...has about much common sense as the sloth does as well...also kinda reminds me of the rat/squirrel chasing the nut in the movie as well...never quiet is the first one to break the news but is always right there about to be the first one...the story being the nut will always be in front of him...haha

also...why did espn hire a guy who looks like a high school chemistry teacher to be the "football" insider?...isn't tiki barber available?

real
03-26-2007, 08:53 AM
You talkin' bout hwy 65?(as he was called in KC)

The Jags laughed when we signed Salaam last year...Called him everything from turnstile to matador....

He came here and played pretty well for a back-up and earned himself a roster spot...

go figure.

HuttoKarl
03-26-2007, 08:53 AM
The Jags laughed when we signed Salaam last year...Called him everything from turnstile to matador....

He came here and played pretty well for a back-up and earned himself a roster spot...

go figure.

People tend to talk noise about players who leave their pastures for the other side of the fence. It's a common defense mechanism.

kastofsna
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM

go figure.
he got better, apparently. he was awful in jax.