PDA

View Full Version : A Texans-Sized Laugh

Spled
03-25-2007, 12:28 AM
This year we got to follow, with excitement, the David Carr saga. Let’s summarize it for a moment:

David Carr is an extremely talented quarterback who has been surrounded by some of the most god-awful non-talents in the league. He's had one receiver. He's had no healthy running back. He's had a miserable offensive line.

But somehow—somehow—he's managed to put up very solid numbers.

His QB rating was a rock-solid 82.1 in 2006. That put him at number 15 in the league, or slightly above average. He also completed a phenomenal 68 percent of his passes—the very best in the NFL. Number one. Number fricken ONE. Better than Peyton Manning. Better than Tony Romo. Numero Uno.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/nfl/nfl%11editorspicks/a-texans%11sized-laugh:-did-houston-really-just-release-david-carr?-200703241111/

Houston_Fanatic
03-25-2007, 12:32 AM
He is no longer on my team. I wish him well wherever he lands.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 12:37 AM
This year we got to follow, with excitement, the David Carr saga. Let’s summarize it for a moment:

David Carr is an extremely talented quarterback who has been surrounded by some of the most god-awful non-talents in the league. He's had one receiver. He's had no healthy running back. He's had a miserable offensive line.

His QB rating was a rock-solid 82.1 in 2006. That put him at number 15 in the league, or slightly above average. He also completed a phenomenal 68 percent of his passes—the very best in the NFL. Number one. Number fricken ONE. Better than Peyton Manning. Better than Tony Romo. Numero Uno.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/nfl/nfl%11editorspicks/a-texans%11sized-laugh:-did-houston-really-just-release-david-carr?-200703241111/

And we couldn't secure a 5th round pick from the teams that released Aaron Brooks, or Joey Harrington. We couldn't get anything from teams starting J.P. Losman, Alex Smith, or Rex Grossman.

Maybe... Just maybe those numbers don't mean what you think they mean.

freedoggy77
03-25-2007, 12:38 AM
most of those completed passes were VERY short, like 3-7 yards

Line_Producer
03-25-2007, 12:39 AM

Ah yes, and this directly contributed to our winning record. As much as I appreciate your effort to put a silver lining on David Carr, he not something that we have to candycoat anymore.

TopTexanFan16
03-25-2007, 12:40 AM
And we couldn't secure a 5th round pick from the teams that released Aaron Brooks, or Joey Harrington. We couldn't get anything from teams starting J.P. Losman, Alex Smith, or Rex Grossman.

as much as i disagree with the poster of this thread i also disagree with you. at the same time he did have very solid numbers those teams werent goinna give us crap cause they knew we would release him sooner or later. its smart business to not trade for him. just puttin it out there.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 12:40 AM
most of those completed passes were VERY short, like 3-7 yards

When the situation was 3rd & 12, and the defense was sitting on the first down marker.

Pantherstang84
03-25-2007, 12:41 AM

Excellent point.

TwinSisters
03-25-2007, 12:41 AM
posted by Breezer McBreeze a baseball and hockey fan in Los Altos, California.

DocBar
03-25-2007, 12:48 AM

DC never had the best talent around him, but it's hard to miss from 3 yds. and why don't you look at his yards per attempt/yards per comp.; YAC; TD /INT ratio; fumbles per touch ratio; sacks per pass attempt(not all his fault); etc...FWIW, it's now been longer since Carr's been released than the time difference between Schaub being aquired and Carr being released. Either teams weren't THAAT interested or Carr isn't that interested. It could go either way. Comparing Carr's #'s to Manninng & Brady? That would be 4 SB's to none and Romo has playoff experience(even though it ended badly) Carr only wished he had in a LOT fewer years. That sounds as dumb as me mentioning Gaffney and Foreman in other posts.

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 12:51 AM
as much as i disagree with the poster of this thread i also disagree with you. at the same time he did have very solid numbers those teams werent goinna give us crap cause they knew we would release him sooner or later. its smart business to not trade for him. just puttin it out there.

If I'm Oakland, Mississippi, Washington, Miami, Kansas City or any other team looking for a true starter at the QB position, I'd much rather trade for a player, than wait for him to enter FA, especially with the goofy FA contracts we've been seeing this year.

If I'm looking for a starting QB, $5 million/year would be the price range I'm looking to spend. That's what Garcia signed for, that's what Brad Johnson signed for. David being much younger, if he were that caliber of player, it would be a steal to be able to sign him, and just pick up his contract(the Texans have already payed his signing bonus).

The only way I'd let him get to free agency, is if I don't think he's a starting QB, and don't want to pay him $5.75million in '07, and $6million in '08.

TexanSam
03-25-2007, 01:04 AM
That article was dumb.

TexaninDenver
03-25-2007, 01:16 AM
If I'm Oakland, Mississippi, Washington, Miami, Kansas City or any other team looking for a true starter at the QB position, I'd much rather trade for a player, than wait for him to enter FA, especially with the goofy FA contracts we've been seeing this year.

If I'm looking for a starting QB, $5 million/year would be the price range I'm looking to spend. That's what Garcia signed for, that's what Brad Johnson signed for. David being much younger, if he were that caliber of player, it would be a steal to be able to sign him, and just pick up his contract(the Texans have already payed his signing bonus).

The only way I'd let him get to free agency, is if I don't think he's a starting QB, and don't want to pay him $5.75million in '07, and $6million in '08.

I wholeheartedly agree. He should go to Mississippi's NFL team.:stirpot: :marionaner: :doot:

MATRIX
03-25-2007, 01:59 AM
I have a feling he will be headed in an unlikely direction, not far from here.

Atlanta

They need a back up, and mabe with that line and 1yr, they tire of Vick(as they shold of longago) and insert a new Carr who knows he won't bekilled every 3rd snap.

Thats my opinion,but it is logical.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-25-2007, 02:03 AM
I think LaDanian Tomlinson threw as many TDs as Carr did the last 10 games.

The Pencil Neck
03-25-2007, 02:07 AM

Atlanta

They need a back up, and mabe with that line and 1yr, they tire of Vick(as they shold of longago) and insert a new Carr who knows he won't bekilled every 3rd snap.

They've signed Chris Redman as a backup QB.

So...

People can complain about our Bronco and Packer cast-offs but in Atlanta, Petrino is gathering up a bunch of his old Louisville players. I don't think that's going to work out as well.

But.

I could be wrong.

JAXwithanX
03-25-2007, 02:53 AM
I think LaDanian Tomlinson threw as many TDs as Carr did the last 10 games.

Lol. That was pretty good.

Spike
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Man, you are right. The market is hot for Carr right now. The Texans are idiots.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2007, 03:03 AM
much of carr's stats are inflated because of 'what plays were run in certain situations'. lots of short routes for easy completion and quick to get off..not a lot of 5-7 step drops...he had to get it out in 2 seconds. some of his stats were during garbage time when the defense was playing prevent D and let carr have easy 5 yard gains.

i think a VERY big part of why we didn't trade carr was his salary. other teams were not willing to take a risk in having Carr as their starter for $6 million a year.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2007, 03:03 AM
much of carr's stats are inflated because of 'what plays were run in certain situations'. lots of short routes for easy completion and quick to get off..not a lot of 5-7 step drops...he had to get it out in 2 seconds. some of his stats were during garbage time when the defense was playing prevent D and let carr have easy 5 yard gains.

i think a VERY big part of why we didn't trade carr was his salary. other teams were not willing to take a risk in having Carr as their starter for $6 million a year.

wags
03-25-2007, 03:36 AM

I'm not arguing about Carr's numbers but rather this whole draft pick nonsense. You realize the Steelers couldn't even get a 7th round pick for Joey Porter (a 3 time pro-bowler). Yet Porter manages to land a $30 million dollar deal. Maybe... just maybe it ain't as big a knock as you think.

tsip
03-25-2007, 03:56 AM

Atlanta

Protection is not Carr's biggest problem--bad mechanics is and this was exposed 'big time' last year when Carr had better protection and more players around him and 'stunk up' the 2nd half of the season, while the rest of the team played better...let's hope he is headed some where.

Napa Auto Parts
03-25-2007, 08:10 PM

True to some extend same with joey harrington and the lions last year but at least they managed to get something for joey in all reality david carr is the sencond coming of heath shuler.

03-25-2007, 08:24 PM
his name kills his already-shoddy credibility right off the bat.

Wolf
03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Carr's contract is why we couldn't get anything for him IMO. the length and the am't of it besides the writing was on the wall and the NFL teams knew that.

Joey I believe only had a year left when he went to the dolphins so it was just a one year investment

and I could be wrong on that because i couldn't find the contract status

Honoring Earl 34
03-25-2007, 08:39 PM

:wheel: This how we can get prisoners to tell us where Bin Laden is .

thunderkyss
03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm not arguing about Carr's numbers but rather this whole draft pick nonsense. You realize the Steelers couldn't even get a 7th round pick for Joey Porter (a 3 time pro-bowler). Yet Porter manages to land a $30 million dollar deal. Maybe... just maybe it ain't as big a knock as you think.

Sorry, I didn't know the Steelers were shopping Porter.