PDA

View Full Version : Excited Already?

Scooter
03-24-2007, 04:47 AM
As a diehard Texans fan I know I shouldnt get my hopes up too high because every year it leads to disappointment. Last year I got pretty excited before the season started, with the addition of Gary Kubiak and our amazing draft, and I liked a lot of what I saw on the field as building blocks. This year my hopes couldnt be higher, and we havent even gotten to the draft yet. We made a big splash in free agency, and I expect a big improvement this year because of a year of familiarity with our new coaches and young talent.

I wont bash Carr because he's a good guy and there's no sense kicking a man when he's down, but IMO Carr cost us several games. Shaub is an immediate improvement, even if he doesnt turn into the probowler we obviously hope he is. Our running game improved with the addition of Green ... a former probowler who knows the system being added and we retained the rest of the stable (good move to keep Dayne). Leach is a monster and rounds out the rushing attack. We're hurting at wide receiver though ... any opinions on David Anderson seeing more time? IMO he's going to be a fantastic technical slot receiver. We still need a legit #2 though, but with Putz coming back healthy and the emergance of Daniels last season we do have targets. The line's still weak, but if Spencer comes back we're in working shape. Winston is able to take over duties at RT and Weary relatively emerged, but we're still weak on the interior ... I'd like to see a draft pick used here.

On defense I think we're only 2 pieces from being a serious unit. Last year we got Weaver and Mario, and I think that Kubiak found out that Babin can be the starter we need when given a real chance. Where we struck gold is with Rick Smith who was able to find young eager talent at the tackle position. We had SEVEN defensive tackles on IR last year, while that doesnt speak well in itsself, we did find a handful of guys who were able to come in and produce at a high level ... Smith & Kubiak will have a ton of competing talent on the D-Line in camp to choose from. One area we need to upgrade (i like an early second day pick here) is at OLB. Ryans is a menace and Greenwood is usually servicable, Barber can compete and hopefully we'll keep Rainer ... but we're still light on talent and athleticism especially in our interior zone defense. As for the secondary, I think we only need a free safety. Faggins IMO is a good zone corner, and I expect to see a lot more of Roc Alexander along with Dunta. A stronger #2 is a legit arguement, but IMO a ballhawk centerfielder will accentuate our current roster's strengths while removing their weaknesses ... I expect a first day pick here.

Oops, guess I rambled on the whole team, but with that breakdown and if we can get 1 or 2 starters in the draft (any of O-line, Free Safety, Outside Linebacker), I think we'll have one hell of a team next year and more than just a "contender". I really cant wait for the season to start, I'll for one go into it thinking we've got a chance for rings.

VaBandWaggonFan
03-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Excited to see the least. The Houston Texans got their guys this year. We got the RB we wanted. A. Green was our first choice. And we got him. We got the QB we wanted. If we really wanted Plummer or Ramsey or Garcia we would have gotten them. I like the fact R. Smith is willing to take chances when he believes in a player.

Any1 who thinks next years team will not be an improvement over last years needs a good kick in the head...

Regardless of how "smart" you think you are as a message board coach/GM.

Go Texans...

One year with a 10-6 Record and Smith is GM of the year... and Gary gets labeled a "mastermind" by ESPN.

:drool:

jvaldez1984
03-24-2007, 09:53 AM
but IMO Carr cost us several games.

There were 4 games that Carr had us in the lead going into the 4th quarter and our defense(our secondary) gave up game winning or game tieing TD in the final minutes. Matt Schaub is an improvement but we could of had that 10-6 record with Carr if our secondary could of held things down in the 4th. Address the secondary problem in this years years draft and that 10-6 is all but guaranteed.

rickyb
03-24-2007, 10:28 AM
[cut]
One year with a 10-6 Record and Smith is GM of the year... and Gary gets labeled a "mastermind" by ESPN.

:drool:

If ESPN comes out with this, in the wake of all the mud they've slung our way having passed on Bush and VY, I will diagnose a rectal-cranial inversion for all their talking head wagoneers.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 10:38 AM
how can anybody who is a fan of this team not be excited...the fans have a new QB...our offense is actually looking like something a NFL team should on paper...and our holes on this team are getting down in number...we've added quality veteran players to help lead this team...and our new QB sounds like a leader...is it pre-season yet?

New_Texans
03-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Lets wait til the draft then access the off-season. However, the texans have been very busy and our team looks to be on the climb to improving more than anyone could imagine.

yourfavoritetexan42
03-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Coming into every season I have been excited... and always have been a loyal fan...

This season I am not very excited. We will have one starting rookie, or i should say rookie who should be starting. We have a quarterback who is very raw and will need another few seasons to grow. We have two older veteran runningbacks who are ready to call it quits anytime now. Our defense will be exciting to see if they can fix this with what they have, because what they had last season is what they will have to work with this season.

I don't really think the fo did their part to make a winning team this upcoming season... I really think they are just getting prepared to build a lot next offseason, and then being able to compete in 2009.

Kaiser Toro
03-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Coming into every season I have been excited... and always have been a loyal fan...

This season I am not very excited. We will have one starting rookie, or i should say rookie who should be starting. We have a quarterback who is very raw and will need another few seasons to grow. We have two older veteran runningbacks who are ready to call it quits anytime now. Our defense will be exciting to see if they can fix this with what they have, because what they had last season is what they will have to work with this season.

I don't really think the fo did their part to make a winning team this upcoming season... I really think they are just getting prepared to build a lot next offseason, and then being able to compete in 2009.

I recommend Asiago, a 5 year Gouda and Manchego to go with that.

TheRealJoker
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
YFT, you're talking about how the Texans haven't done alot before the draft?

yourfavoritetexan42
03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
YFT, you're talking about how the Texans haven't done alot before the draft?

No, we have done a lot, but nothing that really looks like a good move. Ahman Green was a good back 4 years ago, this year I watched week in and week out him not perform, and don't say its his o line, because our o line isn't going to be an improvement over green bays. The two moves I am actually optimistic about is replacing orr with two veterans... I think that will help us out in the short run. We took a 2-12 team to 6-10 in one season, why not build on that team instead of dismantling and starting over? Getting rid of DD was the right choice, but losing Eric Moulds was a step back, and I believe that two second round choices and moving down two spots for a quarterback who hasn't proven a thing in the nfl, and obviously wasn't that highly rated coming out of college, is kind of...dumb? I would have rather kept Carr one more season while putting as much talent around him as possible, than getting rid of those picks that we could build our team, two retract our team on a quarterback who wasn't proven in college or the nfl. All I gotta say is Schaub must have been a hell of a high school quarterback or something.

I remain a skeptic on kubiak. He was a quarterbacks coach for two hall of fame quarterbacks. But he obviously didn't create elway, because he backed elway up and learned from him for a while. He worked under shanahan who is the actual creator of the offense in denver, the offense that has never won a superbowl without elway, the offense that missed the playoffs with a very stacked 2006 team. So kubiak takes a huge gamble with this schaub kid...he better hope that this kid produces, and produces fast, otherwise we will be looking for a new head coach ,and a new quarterback, and I don't know how long Demeco Andre and Mario are going to want to sit around and watch.

Kaiser Toro
03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
and I don't know how long Demeco Andre and Mario are going to want to sit around and watch.

Even though they are more of your cohorts than mine, professionals do not sit around and watch, they make change and step up to the responsibility unlike the recently disposed.

Mario played hurt, Demeco played out of his natural position and Andre restructured. They did not sit around and watch as they act as they are actually vested and want to be part of our future.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Oops, guess I rambled on the whole team, but with that breakdown and if we can get 1 or 2 starters in the draft (any of O-line, Free Safety, Outside Linebacker), I think we'll have one hell of a team next year and more than just a "contender". I really cant wait for the season to start, I'll for one go into it thinking we've got a chance for rings.

Nope. List the holes. FS, CB, true 4-3 end, ZBS center, DT. OLT...a legit young OLT not a back up, Tallent at Will and SAM backers, and last but not least...WR2.

Pass rush suxed last season, no one got there. They've done nothing so far to adress that. Because the pass rush was er, ....inconsistant, the DB play couldn't match up to front line NFL WRs. Sacks are down but there is no gaurentee that Salaam's legs are going to hold. IF Salaam goes down...they're in a hole unless the question mark that is Charles Spencer is locked and load by week two. And you've got two grey beards rushing behind a very sub par line with little or no depth. They are purging and building. Looks to me from my tree that hitting all of those needs and hoping luck holds on the injuries is a trip through the looking glass. So hello to the march hair while you're there for me. Rings ?

rickyb
03-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Even though they are more of your cohorts than mine, professionals do not sit around and watch, they make change and step up to the responsibility unlike the recently disposed.

Mario played hurt, Demeco played out of his natural position and Andre restructured. They did not sit around and watch as they act as they are actually vested and want to be part of our future.

I am with KT on this one. There's a word for what Mario, Dunta, and Andre did. It's called leadership. I know it might be a little confusing, given that we have not seen much of it. But, now, there's a new sheriff in town. And his name's Rick Smith. Ya'll be cool.

[OK, that sheriff reference is definitely gonna be lost on the younger set. :) ]

Kaiser Toro
03-24-2007, 01:37 PM
But, now, there's a new sheriff in town. And his name's Rick Smith. Ya'll be cool.

[OK, that sheriff reference is definitely gonna be lost on the younger set. :) ]

Never can get of enough Blazing Saddles. Edit, that would be 48 hrs and I just received Deilirious in the mail.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 04:58 PM
here's another reason to be excited...jerome mathis might be healthy to start the season as our KR...the dude can change the face of the game with his speed and his vision

we didn't have him last season except for like 2 games and it showed

i really do think we can make a push for the playoffs if we stay healthy this year...we lead the league in injuried starters last season and if we can keep the majority of our starters off the IR then i really do feel we can do something we've never done before...win

shanden
03-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Last year I dreaded watching the Texan offense kill drive after drive and demonstrate they can't move the chains and can't run a two minute offense. It was painful. I was pessimistic and time and time again turnovers, fieldgoals and time of possession bore out what I felt in my gut. There was practically no playbook to speak of, not to mention no shotgun, 5 or 7 step drops, red zone offense, or audibles. The OL got wrecked by IR early in the year and Carr showed he could not handle even the most watered down plays. The epitome of unexcitement.

This year, I have hope that Schaub and the other off season moves gives the Texans at least a shot at making some sustained drives. There is a hope now with added depth and some added playmakers and a new field general that the offense is worth seeing to see what it can do, much less seeing how Kubiak actually intends to run an offense. How could that not be exciting. At the very least it has the opposing defense realizing they have more uncertainty of what plays will be called and who will be the targets.

Then you have Mario coming back from injury, so we can see him do his stuff and the realization the LB corps looks pretty decent. If the offense can make sustained drives then the defense will not have as much pressure and be on the field so long to wear out.

Think of how many games the Texans lost by 7 points or less last year, or that turned on 1 or 2 plays. It is exciting to wonder and day dream that maybe this year the Texans are the recipients of good luck for once. I did not have this hope for the Texans the last few years. It was dampened by the realization the offense could not win any games or be depended on for any scores/drives.

That is where the excitement is. Change means we do not know what will happen yet. And that is exciting.

Tulip
03-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Given the dread I was feeling at this time last year, I'm not just excited - I'm super pumped.

Two weeks ago, I was painfully parting with 45% of the season ticket bill. The next 45% will be much easier to part with.

axman40
03-24-2007, 05:27 PM
YES!

:texan:

4Texans
03-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm excited for the Draft to get here!

thunderkyss
03-24-2007, 06:00 PM
... and I believe that two second round choices and moving down two spots for a quarterback who hasn't proven a thing in the nfl, and obviously wasn't that highly rated coming out of college, is kind of...dumb? I would have rather kept Carr one more season while putting as much talent around him as possible, than getting rid of those picks that we could build our team, two retract our team on a quarterback who wasn't proven in college or the nfl. All I gotta say is Schaub must have been a hell of a high school quarterback or something.

Personally, I'd have liked to see Sage run the offense for one year. Keep
BVP just in case Sage is that bad... but have Drew Stanton(2nd round pick) or Kolb(3rd round pick) or Jared Zabransky(??) waiting and learning. If we weren't 4-4 by week 9, then start our rookie, and get him ready for '08.

But I felt that we were going to draft a QB in this draft, even though I didn't feel any of them were "special". I was even comfortable with the idea of moving up to get Quinn.

I've come to accept(like) the deal for Schuab, because we don't loose our 1st pick, and we're still in the top ten. AT ten, I'm hoping we get Leon Hall.

IF we didn't trade up for Quinn, I'd have liked to use that 2nd on Stanton. I'm fine using it on Schuab. Instead of using it on a QB who won't be ready(Drew Brees) for a year, we get a QB ready to start(having already done the things we'd have wanted our 2nd round QB to have done).

Next year's #2... If it's plain to see that Schaub is a starting QB(and not just someone with that title ala David Carr) then I've got no problem losing next year's #2.

thunderkyss
03-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Nope. List the holes. FS, CB, true 4-3 end, ZBS center, DT. OLT...a legit young OLT not a back up, Tallent at Will and SAM backers, and last but not least...WR2.

Pass rush suxed last season, no one got there. They've done nothing so far to adress that. Because the pass rush was er, ....inconsistant, the DB play couldn't match up to front line NFL WRs. Sacks are down but there is no gaurentee that Salaam's legs are going to hold. IF Salaam goes down...they're in a hole unless the question mark that is Charles Spencer is locked and load by week two. And you've got two grey beards rushing behind a very sub par line with little or no depth. They are purging and building. Looks to me from my tree that hitting all of those needs and hoping luck holds on the injuries is a trip through the looking glass. So hello to the march hair while you're there for me. Rings ?

I understand what you are saying, and I agree, we could stand to improve at all those areas. But I do not believe it is imperative that we replace all the players at those positions(Brown, Orr, Salaam, Morlon, Mario/Weaver(??), McKinney(or Flannagan who gave up no sacks), and Moulds) before we can be competitive.

Think about it. Our run defense was better than the Super Bowl Champs, they gave up 178 yards per game, and 20 rushing TDs for the year, we gave up 122 ypg and only 16 TDs. Our pass rush was better than the Super Bowl Champs(we got 28 sacks, they got 25). They allowed a 64% completion, we allowed a 65% completion percentage. But they were very competive in '06, when they won their division(our division) with a 12-4 record, and they won the Super Bowl.

So even with our deficiencies, trying to go 9-7(with a shot at the play-offs('06 KCChiefs) should be doable.

Hervoyel
03-24-2007, 06:26 PM
There were 4 games that Carr had us in the lead going into the 4th quarter and our defense(our secondary) gave up game winning or game tieing TD in the final minutes. Matt Schaub is an improvement but we could of had that 10-6 record with Carr if our secondary could of held things down in the 4th. Address the secondary problem in this years years draft and that 10-6 is all but guaranteed.

One thing at a time my friend, one thing at a time.

The frustrating part is that after so many years of working on it there are still so many things left to to be done.

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Totally 100% excited.

Scooter
03-24-2007, 06:33 PM

true, but if we could score more than 16 points per game (16.7/game, 28th in the league), we wouldnt have to rely on a worn down defense that's been on the field all game to try to stop multiple drives in the fourth quarter as we go 3 & out.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 06:39 PM
i know everyone thinks we need another receiver to be our number 2 but here's why i think kevin walter can get the job done

he's got the size...he made the catches...i don't remember him dropping a lot of passes except for the dallas game...he's got decent speed and in the WCO that's all he needs...more size than speed is needed...if he can get constant seperation from the defender by walling the defender off with his body and being smart enough to find holes in the zones he will do just fine

now should we still add a receiver...yes...i just feel that we could do a lot worse than walter as a number 2...corey bradford was ten times worse IMO...i still think gaffney could have thrived in this offense but he was ready to leave...maybe if we wait for round 3 to get a guy we can end up with steve smith from USC...he was more reliable than dwayne jarrett

plus this upcoming year i think we'll focus more on running the ball more consistant...with cook and dayne back our short yardage game is gonna be solid because dayne isn't going to be over worked...green is a solid back...he might not get 1200 +yds anymore but he's good for another 1000+yds...and we have chris taylor, wali lundy, and samkon gado battling it out for the third position...that's good competition

defensively were about three players away from being a solid defense...we need a safty...a corner...and either a big time DT or another DE

these needs can be taken care of in the draft...and if we're lucky we'll somehow get new england to trade both 1st rounders to us for the 10th pick

CarolinaTexan
03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I am PUMPED. I think Shuab was a huge pick up for us, and i also like A. Green. I think he is going to prove alot of people wrong this season and show he still has plenty of gas in the tank. I am most excited about our offense. All last season i hated watching our offense, it was a turnover waiting to happen, while on the other hand, i couldn't get enough of our defense. Hopefully this season our offense will be just as exciting, and won't turn the ball over so damn much and screw our defense like last year.

Scooter
03-24-2007, 07:19 PM

i did list the holes, IMO our holes are interior offensive line, outside linebacker, and free safety. one or two of which we could possibly find a starter for in the draft. i think babin's a good defensive end and with his increase in playing time and production as the season went on, he showed that he's gained kubiak's confidence. we're missing depth with only kalu (who played great) behind the ends, but i'm confident smith can find another guy. DT i addressed, with weaver, TJ and the handfull of guys we brought in, we're in good shape to narrow it down to 4 strong players in preseason. corner i addressed in this and many other posts ... i think we're fine here with faggins, dunta, roc, simmons, and either wynn or mcleon rouding it out. that's IF we can upgrade at free safety ... we hurt over the top and in the seams. if you think an upgrade at corner and that's all, be sure to call champ bailey and see when he's coming to houston because he's one of few that are going to have anything resembling success on the islands we hung our cb's out on. i'd like either free safety or offensive line in the first. if spencer's career is over, get an OT. if spencer's expected to play this season, go free safety.

linebacker's one of our needs as i said. between greenwood, barber, orr & rainer we can produce one starter, but we're not very athletic and need a young starter on the other side. a draft pick in the 3-5 rounds needs to go here. wide receiver isnt a necessity but it'd be nice. with walter, AJ, anderson, putz, and daniels we do have targets and it's a given that we'll have atleast a couple more added to the roster before camp. center is a problem. flanagan's lost his legs and i dont like mckinney. weary's an option but that'd leave a hole at right guard that we need to address in the draft ... a 1-4 pick needs to go to the line. LT needs to be manned by spencer and apparently kubiak sees something in salaam that i dont, and with black playing swing tackle we're surviving. ofcourse we need more young talent, but rome wasnt built in a day.

lastly, the greybeards at runningback that several have mentioned. ahman rushed for 1000+ last season with a 4.0 average, and dayne really took off once leach replaced cook, averaging 4.9YPC in the final four games. behind those greybeards we have two sophmores with experience that everyone's forgetting. lundy and taylor are two very young kids with a year in the system that have a lot of upside if dayne & green arent able to get the job done. we're not falling apart at runningback.

Heath Shuler
03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Excited Already? I am so excited about the upcoming season that I watched 25 minutes of freaking Arena Football (talk about some ugly uniforms). The draft, training camp and the preseason canít come soon enough. I think we are so much better now than this time last year.

aproberts03
03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
im sooo pumped for the upcoming season..i can't wait til the draft, preseason and regular season...i still hope we pick up some good defensive talent in the offseason or draft

NFLforher
03-25-2007, 12:14 AM
One thing at a time my friend, one thing at a time.

The frustrating part is that after so many years of working on it there are still so many things left to to be done.

Very true, much work is left to be done.

threetoedpete
03-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Well scooter you have several things posted that I do not agree at all with. I have no problem with them standing fast and going with what they got. From my point of view...They HAVE to generate a better pass rush. That's paramont. You say that the DT postions and the LBs potions and the babin bastard 3-4 end is good enough. I say you've got that tallent highly over rated. You say that the problems from along the o-line are interior not exterior. Again you are posting you are fine with the four OTs they have on the roster. I'll give you center. If they come away with a true NFL caliber ZBS center...this off season that would be an improvement. I do not see that guy currently on the roster. Nor do I see any scenario which puts Kalil on the roster with our draft options. Unless you're advocating drafting Blailock, Sears or Ugoh with the ten or a move down type deal ...I see no draft scenario that improves the interior speed of the o-line.

Second...they have to generate a consistant offensive identity. As it stands now, and I see no reason why people would change their thinking on us...people jam eight and nine in a box on first and second downs and then play off coverage and blitz on third and long or second and long. The dynamic of what they were tring to do changed radicaly when Spencer went down. Instead of a ZBS we are now a bastardized version of Green Bay's power running game....without the screens and sweeps. We simply do not have the athletic tallent on the o-line to run those plays. One, we don't have any three guys that can hold the point of attack while the other two get outside to execute the blocks. Two we still do not have the QB who is fleet footed enough to avoid the pressure of the reslut of one. Outside of Pitts and Spencer basically what you've got is a bunch of plodders. So if you're telling me we're going two tight ends and are going to bang out a rushing attack....I do not see any change from what we got in '06. Green or not. Dayne or not, WR2 or not,Vonte Leech or not, you're left with the same functional o-line you had last year. The problem the five year old problem is the caliber of the OT play. Always has been.

You cannot go to war with what is on the roster at CB. All of these guys you listed are great people. But we do not have a number 2 CB who can run with elite NFL WRs. Nor do we have a FS tallented enough or smart enough to back the sub par paly of the CB2. Better pass rush could fix it. Up grade at CB2 could fix it. Upgrade the will or mike would fix the lack of a pass rush. So as I see it, you've got two picks to fix three of four black holes.

If they go WR2, fill in with the second teired DBs...then you're negelting the pass rush problem. If they go CB, FS, WR2, they're negelting the pass rush problem. If they got OT, WR, FS...same deal. Go Okoye, Wr 2 Fs, you once again have Pettie as the guy covering Elite NFL recievers. The fourth round CB prospect better be a monster.

We're going to find out about the o-line very early in the process...If they're taking closed splits, less than a yard an a half...we're banging...ZBS is out the window. I they're taking two yard splits and are sucessful running strech plays...and protecting the QB...I'm dead wrong. We'll see.

keyfro
03-25-2007, 10:11 AM
granted the pass rush needs to be improved...i agree with threetoedpete that the d-line could be improved but i would like to see babin get more playing time since he was a 1st round pick...since we are paying him a ton of money...we're shouldn't be paying a guy that much money just to be a situational pass rusher...you can draft those guys in late rounds...maddox seemed to really come into his own the last few games and i really am looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full training camp and pre-season as the starter at the DT position...travis johnson needs to freaking step his game up...he's a former 1st round pick like babin who needs to start playing up to his pay level...thanks casserly on these two by the way

if we can get atleast travis to start playing like a 1st round pick then i believe we'll see the pass rush improve...i think we can add a pass rusher in the late rounds of the draft...there is a thread just about doing that in the nfl draft section...so check it out...see if you like what you're seeing there pete

and lastly man...if you improve the pass coverage then naturally the pass rush is going to get better...when we make manning hold onto the football for 4 second due to the pass coverage instead of his usual 2 your going to see more sacks on him...that's why i'm a big time fan of getting a FS in the first round and a corner in the 4th

afcman
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Given the dread I was feeling at this time last year, I'm not just excited - I'm super pumped.

Yep, me too. Last year was the first year that I was not excited about the coming season. Because the C&C guys were still there, we picked the wrong guy in the draft for #1 (my opinion), Carr was still there and I'd lost ALL hope in him, etc.

I'm as pumped now as I was for our first season. I like what I'm seeing from Kubiak and Smith and am looking forward to the draft. And Matt is already showing leadership abilities that tells me (and the rest of the team) that the guy really wants to win.