PDA

View Full Version : Front Office Discussion

Texas_Thrill
03-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm happy with some of the additions we've made in the off-season.

I'm a bit ticked that we decided to give Carr one more year when Reeves said take VY last year but water under the bridge (i guess).

I like Schaub and don't think we overpaid for him. We essentially if you want to look at it gave up a 2nd next year and 2 spots. To me that's pretty cheap. He counts as our 2nd round pick this year. If we'd given up a first all together i'd been pissed.

Its going to be weird not seeing Carr out there throwing dumb downs to the back. Yes that was on purpose. Pissed we got NOTHING for him after all these years. Thanks Bob.

I don't know I'm just feeling torn about so many moving parts but very EXCITED at the same time.

rafterticket
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm happy with some of the additions we've made in the off-season.

I'm a bit ticked that we decided to give Carr one more year when Reeves said take VY last year but water under the bridge (i guess).

I like Schaub and don't think we overpaid for him. We essentially if you want to look at it gave up a 2nd next year and 2 spots. To me that's pretty cheap. He counts as our 2nd round pick this year. If we'd given up a first all together i'd been pissed.

Its going to be weird not seeing Carr out there throwing dumb downs to the back. Yes that was on purpose. Pissed we got NOTHING for him after all these years. Thanks Bob.

I don't know I'm just feeling torn about so many moving parts but very EXCITED at the same time.

Let it go, brother. They did what they had to do to move forward. And EVERYONE knew Carr was gone from here. He never had any trade value because of that fact.

Just stay with the excited part.

Cupps
03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
It's weird because for once we don't know what's going to happen. Sadly, almost every season prior to this one we'd been able to count on several things: inconsistent play from Carr (I personally loved the guy, not trying to hate), a week offensive line, two losses to Indianapolis and not contending.

Not to say we'll be in the playoffs this year... but everything is so new and different... I can't wait!!! :)

Pantherstang84
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Let it go, brother. They did what they had to do to move forward. And EVERYONE knew Carr was gone from here. He never had any trade value because of that fact.

Just stay with the excited part.

What he said!

SamuraiSword
03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I am seriously thinking about getting madden game next season......with all the new changes to our offense and defense it might be worth playing now.:drool:

bad
03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
You're not the only one, Texas_Thrill. I hear ya. It's the feeling you get when you take a new job or move to a new town; it's exciting, it's different, it's probably for the best...but you leave your familiar comfort zone behind. There's an awkward uneasiness that lingers for awhile.

Winning should fix all that.

Remember that progress cannot happen without something changing and that this franchise spent five years spinning its wheels with Carr at QB. It's time to turn the page.

Go Texans!

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
The fact of the matter is the team is moving in a different direction and for most of us it's scary and exeraliting all at the same time. We know opps knew what to expect from DC now we are going into the draft,OTA's, and TC with a new hope.
The FO and the Coaching Staff are putting it out there that they want to win as bad as we want them to win and the changes thus far show most of us they are committed to this. Face it Mr McNair just ate 75+ million dollars on one player with nothing to show for it and if he had wanted to we could have been facing two more years with DC because of the contract extention.

Greengo707
03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Please people we need to quit lying to ourselves this team is owned and run by idiots! Some of you blame the Raiders for Phillip Buchanon, well if you watched him with the raiders you would have known he was a headache and injury prone so that was nothing new, the texans brilliant FO just releases him so the bucs can sign him, and then re-sign him to a new contract, so your going to tell me no one would offer any pick for him? And now Carr another former first rounder gone with nothing to show for him!! I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT NO TEAM WOULD OFFER A 4TH ROUNDER DOWN!! I believe a third would have been a stretch at this point with everyone knowing he was going but nothing after giving up so much for SCHAUB. SO MUCH FOR STOCKING UP ON PICKS THE FO BELIEVES THE TEAM IS GOOD ENOUGH TO GIVE THEM AWAY!!! Williams was done from all I've read but Carr will sign and play the team could have gotten something. AT LEAST THEY ARE CONSISTANT WITH IGNORANCE!!! Seriously Texan Fans prepare yourselves for the 1 pick in this draft to be traded for a Gramaticca or to whomever owns the rights to Maurice Clarett.

El Amigo Invisible
03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Please people we need to quit lying to ourselves this team is owned and run by idiots! Some of you blame the Raiders for Phillip Buchanon, well if you watched him with the raiders you would have known he was a headache and injury prone so that was nothing new, the texans brilliant FO just releases him so the bucs can sign him, and then re-sign him to a new contract, so your going to tell me no one would offer any pick for him? And now Carr another former first rounder gone with nothing to show for him!! I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT NO TEAM WOULD OFFER A 4TH ROUNDER DOWN!! I believe a third would have been a stretch at this point with everyone knowing he was going but nothing after giving up so much for SCHAUB. SO MUCH FOR STOCKING UP ON PICKS THE FO BELIEVES THE TEAM IS GOOD ENOUGH TO GIVE THEM AWAY!!! Williams was done from all I've read but Carr will sign and play the team could have gotten something. AT LEAST THEY ARE CONSISTANT WITH IGNORANCE!!! Seriously Texan Fans prepare yourselves for the 1 pick in this draft to be traded for a Gramaticca or to whomever owns the rights to Maurice Clarett.

It is nice, yes?

The Dude Abides
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure the Denver Police Dept. holds the rights to Clarett. I could be way off though.

Specnatz
03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Got to love chicken chit morons who make a new sign-in to hide behind.

Cupps
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM

Punctuation, paragraphs and breathing are all good things. Relax.

I've doubted our front office before, but I'd like to think even a monkey picks getting something over nothing. Carr had very little trade value, and even less after we got Schaub. Miami was using Carr as a lure to get Green, IMO, and ultimately the other suitors don't want to give away a pick when they knew we'd cut him anyways.

In the end, we had no other choice. Besides, if you really don't like it... there's a door. Good luck.

WillyP
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
You're a colossal *****. You do know that we have new coach and general manager, right?

You might take notice of the thread below this one titled "VONTA LEACH NEWS: TEXANS MATCH GIANTS OFFER SHEET"

Roughnecks
Well DC is gone so now lets bash the FO maybe we should release them and see who is available in the market let it go move on. All You read now a days is a bunch of crying and complaining man I am tired of getting on here and seeing all the Carr sux the FO sux the owner sux this team sux let it go and be glad they realize they screwed up and are trying to fix it.

Exithios
This post doesn't deserve the attention it is drawing... can I move to have this thread deleted?

Cupps
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Well DC is gone so now lets bash the FO maybe we should release them and see who is available in the market let it go move on. All You read now a days is a bunch of crying and complaining man I am tired of getting on here and seeing all the Carr sux the FO sux the owner sux this team sux let it go and be glad they realize they screwed up and are trying to fix it.

Some people have to have someone to blame and something to scream about... otherwise what would they do?

It's not like we're all here to support and cheer for this team., What kind of fans would we be then?

</sarcasm>

Roughnecks
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Some people have to have someone to blame and something to scream about... otherwise what would they do?

It's not like we're all here to support and cheer for this team., What kind of fans would we be then?

</sarcasm>

OK understood

jdm12
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Play GM of another team for a minute. If the Texans sign another QB to a 6 year deal and give up two draft picks, do you really think that QB is going to ride the pine. No, he is the new starting QB. So, why on earth would you (the GM) part with a draft pick when you know DC is not going to be back with the Texans. Add to that the outrageous contract that he carries for an unproven and damaged QB. No team wants to pick up that tab.

So you and every other GM do what actually happened. You tell Rick Smith that you are not interested. The Texans cut him (done) and suck up and take the cap hit (soon to come). Now you (the interesed GM) calls David, work him out, sign him to a contract worth much less, and still have all of your draft picks.

That's why DC was cut. Not becasue he is worth nothing. Becasue no one has a reason to give up anything for him.

J

Carr Bombed
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I have not been this excited since our first offseason when our very first Texan squad was being formed. :yahoo:

Cupps
03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Besides... I'm quietly compiling a list of all this constant nay-sayers and people needing to bash the organization for anything and everything... and so help me God if/when we win a Super Bowl, I'm making sure none of the people that complaining the whole time are allowed to partake in our celebration... so there.

*hops off soapbox*

jerek
03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Let it go. Like no FO in the history of sport has made as many mistakes as ours ... even though I don't completely agree with the Carr cut/Schaub trade, I applaud our FO for their confident moves and willingness to address the perceived problems ... the constant nay-saying and wah wah'ing about Vince got old months ago.

bigTEXan8
03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
i just can't wait till people start hating on schaub. it's gonna be awesome. but i will always blame the FO for their constant stumbling.

Cupps
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
i just can't wait till people start hating on schaub. it's gonna be awesome. but i will always blame the FO for their constant stumbling.

That's one for my list. :tinfoil:

BattleRedRaider
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
That's one for my list. :tinfoil:

You're gonna be busy, aren't you?

Specnatz
03-23-2007, 04:01 PM
I recall when the Colts sucked and were drafting first or in the tp 5 all the time, and now they are what??

Freaking winnning and Super Bowl Champs.

Same with New England.

Greengo707
03-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Got to love chicken chit morons who make a new sign-in to hide behind.

No need to try and talk tough on the internet this is my only account sorry I have been where there is no internet for a while so I just found this site when I got on a computer is there something wrong with that? you are the punk hiding behind your computer talking trash not me I was stating my opinion about a team you are talking about me, who's the coward, you, mark

santo
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I recall when the Colts sucked and were drafting first or in the tp 5 all the time, and now they are what??

Same with New England.

Cincinnati were also among the top drafting...

We will have our chance, especially with Kubiak and Smith pulling off crazy and risky moves that will hopefully lead to winning seasons.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM

This is like rewinding the Beverly Hillbilly's .

See ya Jethro , Granny , Uncle Jed , and Ellie Mae .

rickyb
Play GM of another team for a minute. If the Texans sign another QB to a 6 year deal and give up two draft picks, do you really think that QB is going to ride the pine. No, he is the new starting QB. So, why on earth would you (the GM) part with a draft pick when you know DC is not going to be back with the Texans. Add to that the outrageous contract that he carries for an unproven and damaged QB. No team wants to pick up that tab.

So you and every other GM do what actually happened. You tell Rick Smith that you are not interested. The Texans cut him (done) and suck up and take the cap hit (soon to come). Now you (the interesed GM) calls David, work him out, sign him to a contract worth much less, and still have all of your draft picks.

That's why DC was cut. Not becasue he is worth nothing. Becasue no one has a reason to give up anything for him.

J

This is all fine and well. Yet, what was the rush? (rhetorical) Come Draft Day, if not sooner, somebody was going to come calling for David. What would it have hurt to wait until at least Draft Day? (rhetorical)

But. It is done.

bigTEXan8

Same with New England.

peyton manning won the superbowl...not the colts. schaub...i will guarantee my life on this...will never, EVER...do anything close to manning. texans got a fresh qb who hasn't had the snot kicked out of him for 5 years. definite upgrade over carr (not gonna argue that). i'm gonna say the texans will still go 8-8 this year...what i predicted w/ carr at the helm.

MATRIX
03-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I am seriously thinking about getting madden game next season......with all the new changes to our offense and defense it might be worth playing now.:drool:

I'm still messing with 2005 when I play. So, I just trade or create the players...just not super players, by their scouting reports.

That said, all is looking up now.

Greengo707

</sarcasm>

hey we found the guy that still supports bush in that case

Specnatz
No need to try and talk tough on the internet this is my only account sorry I have been where there is no internet for a while so I just found this site when I got on a computer is there something wrong with that? you are the punk hiding behind your computer talking trash not me I was stating my opinion about a team you are talking about me, who's the coward, you, mark

I am not talking tough, I just think it is odd one post and you trash something which I do not think you have a clue about.

Specnatz
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
peyton manning won the superbowl...not the colts. schaub...i will guarantee my life on this...will never, EVER...do anything close to manning. texans got a fresh qb who hasn't had the snot kicked out of him for 5 years. definite upgrade over carr (not gonna argue that). i'm gonna say the texans will still go 8-8 this year...what i predicted w/ carr at the helm.

I am sorry I did not know Peyton had all those rushing yards.

mikey21
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
this front office is cleaning up the mess the former front office left behind, could they have gotten something for carr, maybe maybe not, what team will give away a pick when it knows the texans will be forced to get rid of him anyway, i think today is a day that the texans finally turn the corner and have become a team with a plan, i wish carr the bet of luck where ever he lands

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM

You can't guarantee anything .

It'll be OK ... the sun will come out tomorrow .

valleytexfan
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Everyone's bashing the Texans...and frankly, I'm disappointed in not recouping anything for DC, though I knew it was gonna happen.

Everyone's saying "what a mess" the Texans are...please make this okay

santo
03-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Carr's performance through five years plus his contract kept the Texans from getting anything in return.

This is an exciting time to be a Texan...out with the old, in with the new.

Wish Carr and Williams the best where ever they go.

:victory: :logo: :victory:

MATRIX
03-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Guess you were too busy writing to read.

Many sites for teams that wanted Carr said NO because of his contract. And he wouldn't redo it. As well as the sites that report 90% accurate news said Carr would of gotten US a 3-4th round pick, but he wouldn't move off his deal w/ Houston.

Whats that say? You really feel someone would give him that kind of cash and pray he is revived on a new team. Hell no, the wait till he has no choice then try to get him with a contract full of extras. So, he will get a deal somewhere for say 1M. Then 1M if he starts all 16 games and say 500K-1M if he wins 50% of them. f he won't do that, he will retire after only 5yrs because he won't get the money he wants.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Everyone's bashing the Texans...and frankly, I'm disappointed in not recouping anything for DC, though I knew it was gonna happen.

Everyone's saying "what a mess" the Texans are...please make this okaywho cares what people say? Let's just respect ourselves first and we don't have to worry about "pop" culture/opinion

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 04:22 PM

I honestly believe that some people think that Rick Smith called around the NFL this morning looking to see what was available for Carr, and he found that somebody was willing to give us a _______ round draft pick...and Smith said no.

Open your eyes, if Smith counldn't trade Carr, it's only because nobody offered anything for him.

And yes I've posted this exact same thing more then once, and I bet it'll need to be said again.

afcman
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
The 3C years are over. Carr, Capers and Casserly are gone and we can't change the past. We have a new beginning and lets give it a true chance. I'm ready.

Let go of all the previous junk....it's over and doesn't do any good anyway. This will be, no, IS a new team.

LET'S ROLL!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Vinny
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Hey, another California bay area IP...welcome aboard!

afcman
03-23-2007, 04:24 PM
MAN WHAT'S WITH THIS DAMN BOARD?

My previous post was supposed to go to another thread. They must have moved it. :confused:

afcman
03-23-2007, 04:25 PM

Tailgate
03-23-2007, 04:26 PM

This was a crossroads we were eventually going to have to get over. A point to where we have to acknowledge where we went wrong to the world by doing the right things. Consider this one of the LAST hurdles we must endure before things have really passed and we can FINALLY move out from under this cloud we have been rained on for so long now it seems.

Look to the cap clearance we have for the future, look to the new regime who seem to know what they are doing, and ultimately look to comments such as these when picturing a brighter future:

----------------
Giants defensive end Michael Strahan was in Houston on Thursday to play in a charity golf tournament to benefit the Ray Anthony Pea**** scholarship fund. Strahan was asked what he thought about the Texans trading for Schaub, and he pointed out that before the Giants played the Falcons last season, he watched film of Schaub and starter Michael Vick.

"We studied both of those guys," Strahan said. "He's (Schaub) a drop-back, almost like a Tom Brady-like quarterback. He's very composed, and he's very big. The word we were told when we were preparing for the Falcons was we almost don't want to put him in the game. We want to keep him on the sidelines. He's first-round talent. He's a very good player. I think the Texans did a good thing by getting him."
---------------

An expert (NFC scout): "He's much better than Tony Romo. It's not even close. He manages a game better, from what we've seen, and he seems to always be in control. Superstar? I don't know, but quality, top-10 NFL QB, yes, definitely?"

---------------

Three coaches Gary Kubiak likes and respects - Alex Gibbs, Bill Musgrave and Al Groh - helped convince the Texans' second-year coach that Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub was worth pursuing.....

...Before the Texans pulled the trigger, Kubiak spoke with three coaches. Gibbs, the Falcons' former offensive line coach, worked with Kubiak at Denver for years. Musgrave, who played quarterback for Kubiak at Denver, was the Falcons' quarterbacks coach last season. Groh, a longtime NFL coach, was Schaub's head coach at Virginia.

Gibbs, Musgrave and Groh praised Schaub's ability, leadership skills, intensity and competitiveness. All are convinced that, given a starting job Schaub can be a consistent winner in the NFL....

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 04:26 PM
who cares what people say? Let's just respect ourselves first and we don't have to worry about "pop" culture/opinion

I would dare say this board knows more about this team than most of the national media .

afcman
03-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I would dare say this board knows more about this team than most of the national media .

I agree. Except for the guys on Sirius Football Radio. Those guys are up on the game big time. Man, I've learned SO much.

kcwilson
03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
You can't guarantee anything .

It'll be OK ... the sun will come out tomorrow .

Oh really. Forecast for Saturday, March 24, 2007 from weather.com as of 2:40pm pacific...

Cloudy High
80F

Precip
20%

Wind: SE 13 mph
Max. Humidity: 74%
UV Index: 6 High

Sunrise: 7:21 AM CT
Avg. High: 75F
Record High: 84F (1954)

Wharton
03-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I would dare say this board knows more about this team than most of the national media . I agree with Vinny, we need to respect ourselves first and the rest will take care of it its self. The Texans must start winning for me to respect anything about this organization.

As far as the pop culture of the media, a friend of mine sent me this off the Eagles message board. Looks like the media in Philly is keeping them informed pretty well. I can't argue with Eagle Elvis' points, they are all valid.

General Eagles discussion - the texans are complete idiots... Subscribe

To: ALL (31 of 46)
52072.31 in reply to 52072.21

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. Let me get this straight, in the last year-and-a-half, the Texans have:
- Signed Domanick Davis/Williams to a long-term deal and subsequently lost him to what might be a career ending injury.
- Passed on Reggie bush in the draft.
- Signed injury-prone Ahman Green in free agency.
- Picked up a 3-year option on David Carr's contract.
- Passed on Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler with the first overall pick in the 06 draft.
- Traded two 2nd round picks and down from #8 overall to #10 for career backup Matt Schaub.
- Signed Matt Schaub to a 6-year, $48mil contract.
- Will cut a former #1 overall drafted QB and will get no compensation for him.
- Owned the #1 overall draft pick in 06, drafted a player that they could have gotten at #4 or 5 because he was cheaper than Reggie Bush, and failed to trade down to get any compensation for the #1 pick.
- Owned the #1 overall pick in 06, the #8 in 07, and 2 2nd round picks and somehow wound up with Mario Williams, and the #10 overall pick in 07.
- Still have the worst O-line in football.
.....And people around here like to complain about the moves the Eagles make. Thank god you're not a Texans fan!

bigTEXan8
03-23-2007, 04:45 PM
the people in philly are pretty smart.

HOU-TEX
03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
the people in philly are pretty smart.

Yeah, so are the people in California. Pfft! OK! Lmao at you.:this:

aj.
03-23-2007, 04:56 PM

You're looking at this the wrong way.

The Texans house was really really messed up by a couple of bad renters named Casserly and Capers. The landlord trusted these renters a little too much - thinking they would take care of the place and make the necessary improvements over time.

The good news is that a year ago, the landlord saw the light and evicted those guys and offered a new lease to a nice young couple. But he's now paying for that mess.

Unfortunately for the new renters, there were still piles of garbage and dog poo everywhere, so they had to totally gut the place. The house was so bad that it took them an entire year to get it down to the point where they could finally remodel.

The landlord thought the Carpet would be ok so he paid Dirt Free to come in with their Nuclear Water truck and fluff it up a bit, but it still fell apart after a year. The new renters demanded new Carpet so the landlord admitted his error and had it taken out. He then cleaned the foundation with a large Scwhab.

Moral of the story: don't listen to 'everyone' because by the time it takes 'everyone' to say it, it's usually old news. The corollary to that is don't look back because what's important is ahead of you.

The Texans 'were' a mess, as recent as a year ago but it's pretty obvious the cleanup is almost finished.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
This was a crossroads we were eventually going to have to get over. A point to where we have to acknowledge where we went wrong to the world by doing the right things. Consider this one of the LAST hurdles we must endure before things have really passed and we can FINALLY move out from under this cloud we have been rained on for so long now it seems.

Look to the cap clearance we have for the future, look to the new regime who seem to know what they are doing, and ultimately look to comments such as these when picturing a brighter future:

----------------
Giants defensive end Michael Strahan was in Houston on Thursday to play in a charity golf tournament to benefit the Ray Anthony Pea**** scholarship fund. Strahan was asked what he thought about the Texans trading for Schaub, and he pointed out that before the Giants played the Falcons last season, he watched film of Schaub and starter Michael Vick.

"We studied both of those guys," Strahan said. "He's (Schaub) a drop-back, almost like a Tom Brady-like quarterback. He's very composed, and he's very big. The word we were told when we were preparing for the Falcons was we almost don't want to put him in the game. We want to keep him on the sidelines. He's first-round talent. He's a very good player. I think the Texans did a good thing by getting him."
---------------

An expert (NFC scout): "He's much better than Tony Romo. It's not even close. He manages a game better, from what we've seen, and he seems to always be in control. Superstar? I don't know, but quality, top-10 NFL QB, yes, definitely?"

---------------

Three coaches Gary Kubiak likes and respects - Alex Gibbs, Bill Musgrave and Al Groh - helped convince the Texans' second-year coach that Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub was worth pursuing.....

...Before the Texans pulled the trigger, Kubiak spoke with three coaches. Gibbs, the Falcons' former offensive line coach, worked with Kubiak at Denver for years. Musgrave, who played quarterback for Kubiak at Denver, was the Falcons' quarterbacks coach last season. Groh, a longtime NFL coach, was Schaub's head coach at Virginia.

Gibbs, Musgrave and Groh praised Schaub's ability, leadership skills, intensity and competitiveness. All are convinced that, given a starting job Schaub can be a consistent winner in the NFL....

Do you have any links to these quotes? I'd be intrested in reading more.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 04:59 PM

The Texans house was really really messed up by a couple of bad renters named Casserly and Capers. The landlord trusted these renters a little too much - thinking they would take care of the place and make the necessary improvements over time.

The good news is that a year ago, the landlord saw the light and evicted those guys and offered a new lease to a nice young couple. But he's now paying for that mess.

Unfortunately for the new renters, there were still piles of garbage and dog poo everywhere, so they had to totally gut the place. The house was so bad that it took them an entire year to get it down to the point where they could finally remodel.

The landlord thought the Carpet would be ok so he paid Dirt Free to come in with their Nuclear Water truck and fluff it up a bit, but it still fell apart after a year. The new renters demanded new Carpet so the landlord admitted his error and had it taken out. He then cleaned the foundation with a large Scwhab.

Moral of the story: don't listen to 'everyone' because by the time it takes 'everyone' to say it, it's usually old news. The corollary to that is don't look back because what's important is ahead of you.

The Texans 'were' a mess, as recent as a year ago but it's pretty obvious the cleanup is almost finished.

classic

HOU-TEX
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM

Couldn't put it any better than that. Outstanding!:dance2:

dirty steve
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM

sounds like a SR610 ad--classic. maybe you could get some Amazing siding, Klein's fine jewelry, eat at Double Dave's on the way back. noce job.

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 05:06 PM

The bolded portion is not accurate.

Reeves said that Carr wasn't the problem. He said that he was a good quarterback and should be kept.

He later fudged around and said he liked VY too, and that you would have to consider him too, but wasn't consulted about that, Reggie Bush or the Mario Williams thing.

Here's more:

link (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/17/dan-reeves-futher-explains-his-view-on-vince-young-reggie-bush/)

Just saying, if you are going to be pissed about stuff, you should be pissed about the right stuff.

The Texans wouldn't have received anything for David Carr last year either. It was either pick up his option by the terms of that option, or release him.

Theoretically, we could have released Carr last year, and drafted Vince. I like Vince more than most, but there is no guarantee that VY would have had a good season in Houston.

Would the Texans have run sort of a spread offense or tried to make him into a Denver style guy?

Could he make the baby running backs the Texans have look special like the ones in Tennessee?

He'd have no playmaking PacMan. And goodness knows how bad the Texans defense would have been--I don't know what sort of defensive help the Texans would have got in the draft/free agency.

And would he have been distracted playing in his home town?

Who knows, maybe the energy and excitement would make him better in Houston, but there is no telling when you are dishing alternative histories.

That's why I try not to think of alternative histories. Guys we could have drafted but didn't. Wouldacouldashouldas. Because there is no telling how they would do here.

Anyway, I have to say that I am excited for next year. It's nice not really knowing what is going to happen in the next year. It could be great or not so great, and neither of those outcomes would be surprising.

Is this a team that was being held back by its inconsistent QB play, or is it a team that still has too many needs? At least we won't be saying "There he goes again" when we see the same mistakes made over and over again.

The season can't start soon enough.

rickyb
03-23-2007, 05:08 PM
If you want to "cut" your season tickets, I'll be glad to pick em up off of waivers. :)

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Excellent. I need to spread the rep.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 05:10 PM
This did not need it's own thread, espically since there are several already like it.

"The captian has turned on the fasten seat belts sign. If you would please turn off all electronic devices and stow your trays in the upright position; this thread will be moved in 5...4...3...2...1..."

Edit, after move: Damn I love it when I'm right.

Long Baller
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
- We pass on Vince Young Because David supposedly can play

- We trade away two - 2nd round picks (from a team that clearly needs them) to get a QB who has not started more than 3 NFL games

- We RELEASE David Carr for NOTHING

Hmmmm....so we now have no second round picks for the next two years, an over the hill running back, a question at QB, a need at: left tackle, defensive tackle, both safeties, a 2nd corner, and a second wide receiver

This front office is a joke just like the last one.......We have absolutely 0 to look forward to next season

People need to get over it. Mistakes were made and you don't get redoes so all we can do is move forward and do everything possible to make the team better. I for one am excited about the changes and am looking forward to the new start. We have a new QB that actually has a great deal of experience with the system so it is almost like a rookie veteran. I know this is a contridiction but I sure like his experience level much more then an true rookie.

Time to move on and start a winning tradition. :redtowel:

michaelm
03-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Edit, after move: Damn I love it when I'm right.

yeah, you're obviously some kind of genius...

rickyb
03-23-2007, 08:09 PM
If you want to "cut" your season tickets, I'll be glad to pick em up off of waivers. :)

Ummmmm. I had replied in another thread. For some reason I cannot explain, it arrived here. In case anyone was perplexed.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah, you're obviously some kind of genius...

I am damnit, and it's about time some of y'all noticed. :joker:

Koolaid Time
03-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Carr was the easy prediction.. we all knew his days were numbered.

But what baffles me is why did we keep DD/DW around another year?

In late 2005

Everyone knew the nature and extent of the injury.
Everyone knew that he had a hereditary degenerative knee problem.
Everyone knew that he was close to bone to bone.
Everyone knew there was no real chance of recovery

Why didnt the Texans negotiate a medical retirement settlement with him last year?

And DD milked the fans for all he could get.. saying "my knee feels fine".. and then 2 weeks later saying that he needed "more surgery"....

"More surgery" = total artifical knee replacement....

And I am still ticked off that some kid gave me neg rep last year for declaring the obvious.... that DD was finished ..

He will be back, you just see. you are a hater"

But I guess if you have billions of dollars, you don't mind blowing a few million here and there....

dbspi
03-23-2007, 10:47 PM
It seems that the Texans front office loves potential. A combine warrior in Mario over three proven talents in Bush, VY, and Lineart. Trading half the draft for the "Potential" of P-Burn. Half the draft for Babin.

Will this prove to be the disaster that the other 3 are? Only time will tell. Well, if this flops, we finally get rid of Carr this year and Kubes will be next year.

Hopefully we can get a head coach whose disqualification's exceeds making copies and a "darn good" cup of coffee for Mike Shanahan and taking credit for John Elway and Steve Young.

I hope Marty will still be unemployed by next season.

Greengo707
03-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey, another California bay area IP...welcome aboard!

Sorry smart guy not the bay area, Humboldt County where the rest of the world wishes they could be. Dank,grandaddy purple bro! by the way I bought my first home and away jersey for this team before a player was drafted and I stand by the team to this day, I can still question the continuous confusing decisions made by this front office

michaelm
03-23-2007, 10:54 PM
I am damnit, and it's about time some of y'all noticed. :joker:

Eh... possibly you are, but I think it's apparent your sarcasm recognition skills could use a little brushing up... :neener:

dbspi
03-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I wanted Schaub, but I think the price is a little too high for my taste. I think we are looking at a team that got screwed because they didn't use a 1st rounder on offense since AJ

If we can snag Peterson some how, the combination of him, AJ, Daniels, and Schaub could be great for a decade, if they are ever given an O-Line.

I know allot of people are giving allot of credit to our O-Line but as of this moment it is all potential even after 5 years of existence. Until I see them in action for full season, I reserve my judgment. I just hope Spencer comes back healthy.

I also hope they will look into upgrading OC position this year. It would have been nice to draft Kalil to fill the OC position. Flanagan and McKinney are not the answer.

Koolaid Time
03-23-2007, 11:02 PM
If we can snag Peterson, the combination of him, AJ, and Schaub could be great for a decade, if they are ever given an O-Line.

If Peterson is still there, and the Texans draft him... what team has some quality offensive linemen that they might be willing to part with for an impact back?

I figure a vet tackle and a center (that CAN snap a shotgun) would be a good trade.

2BCF
03-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I think the results of this off-season will be a winning '07 season.

petedy
03-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I think the results of this off-season will be a winning '07 season.

But it also could be another whinning season instead.The axe is at the ready who 'll be next? I guess we'll have to wait for Dunta to throw the next teamate under the bus while the front office is doing the driving.

dbspi
03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
If Peterson is still there .

I don't know if AD will drop to #10 but the management should try to do every thing they can to land AD even if it involves moving up a few spot in a trade. Try to package draft picks along with players to move up. ex. Babin

They wanted Schaub, they worked the deal to get him. GOOD.

Now work another deal to land AD.

I think I can live with this draft if we just landed AD. Hopefully we will have enough money next season to fill some of the void on the team through FA similar to what NE did this year.

Heath Shuler
03-23-2007, 11:24 PM

Why???? Awesome??????
Want to know what I can't wait for to happen?.......winning.........and it's coming soon.

Heath Shuler
03-23-2007, 11:27 PM

J

Except; If there were 2 (or more) GMs that wanted Carr, then there would be a bidding war for Carrs services.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I don't know if AD will drop to #10 but the management should try to do every thing they can to land AD even if it involves moving up a few spot in a trade. Try to package draft picks along with Babin or something to move up.

They wanted Schaub, they worked the deal to get him. GOOD.

Now work another deal to land AD.

I think that they've satisfied Kubiak's desire for offensive playmakers. At least the ones in the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised at a new wide receiver, but I would be absolutely shocked if we went running back at any point during this draft.

WHAT ABOUT THE DEFENSE?! We got us some linebackers, but they're not going to have deep coverage on Lee Evans.

Heath Shuler
03-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Besides... I'm quietly compiling a list of all this constant nay-sayers and people needing to bash the organization for anything and everything... and so help me God if/when we win a Super Bowl, I'm making sure none of the people that complaining the whole time are allowed to partake in our celebration... so there.

*hops off soapbox*

Best post I've read all day.

dbspi
03-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I think that they've satisfied Kubiak's desire for offensive playmakers. At least the ones in the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised at a new wide receiver, but I would be absolutely shocked if we went running back at any point during this draft.

WHAT ABOUT THE DEFENSE?! We got us some linebackers, but they're not going to have deep coverage on Lee Evans.

After AJ draft in 2003, we have invested so heavily on defense in round 1 with out much results to show for them. We have waited this long and I think we can afford to wait another year to fill the holes on defense.

It doesn't matter how good your defense is but if you can't score points on the board none of this would matter. Look at Chicago this year in SB and see what happened.

You have to have balance on both side of the stick to succeed. The last 3 years we have drafted Mario Williams, Travis Johnson, and Babin with #1 draft pick. Look at the results of these guys. What have they achieved so far.

Babin - nothing more then back up rotational player at best.
Travis Johnson - no motivation, too inconsistent in 2 years in a row and may turn out to be BUST for all we know.
Anthony Weaver (FA) - We signed him last off season to play opposite to Mario. He is not threat to the opposite QB.
Mario - Verdict is still out on him. He was injured his rookie season so I am not going to comment on him. But look we passed up proven talent like VY, Bush, Lienert for him.

ALL OF THESE POSITIONS EXCEPT MARIO NEEDS TO BE UP GRADED. WE ARE STILL WERE WE WERE 3 YEARS AGO AND STILL SEARCHING FOR NEEDS ALONG DT/DE when these positions should have been filled by now. Result being wasted picks.

dbspi
03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
As far as the new administration is concerned, they have done more good then bad unlike the previous administration who had absolutely no idea what they were doing to begin with. It is not fault of current administration for players such as TJ and Babin. They are not accountable for these players.

Anthony Weaver singing last off season does fall on Kubes. For the amount of money we are paying Weaver for most part plays great against the run but he is totally ineffective as a pass rusher. We still have need to up grade the DE position opposite to Mario with some one who can equally play in run or pass situation. Last year some of the DT we picked up during the season played better then TJ so this is good on the part of Rick Smith and the job he has done.

On offense we do need genuine WR #2 to play opposite of AJ and we do need to find better OC to replace Flannagan and McKinney.

We are much closer to having high potent offense today then we are from having dominant defense.

hadaad
03-24-2007, 12:30 AM
After AJ draft in 2003, we have invested so heavily on defense in round 1 with out much results to show for them. We have waited this long and I think we can afford to wait another year to fill the holes on defense.

It doesn't matter how good your defense is but if you can't score points on the board none of this would matter. Look at Chicago this year in SB and see what happened.

You have to have balance on both side of the stick to succeed. The last 3 years we have drafted Mario Williams, Travis Johnson, and Babin with #1 draft pick. Look at the results of these guys. What have they achieved so far.

Babin - nothing more then back up rotational player at best.
Travis Johnson - no motivation, too inconsistent in 2 years in a row and may turn out to be BUST for all we know.
Anthony Weaver (FA) - We signed him last off season to play opposite to Mario. He is not threat to the opposite QB.
Mario - Verdict is still out on him. He was injured his rookie season so I am not going to comment on him. But look we passed up proven talent like VY, Bush, Lienert for him.

ALL OF THESE POSITIONS EXCEPT MARIO NEEDS TO BE UP GRADED. WE ARE STILL WERE WE WERE 3 YEARS AGO AND STILL SEARCHING FOR NEEDS ALONG DT/DE when these positions should have been filled by now. Result being wasted picks.

Travis Johnson gets an incomplete, in my books. He got injured last year, which may have led to your opinion of him. Maybe he would have struggled, maybe not.

Babin is hard for me to get a read on. He did lead the team in sacks, coming off the bench, but I agree that a situational player is not what you want when you go first round.

I think Anthony Weaver provides more than you think. He may not get after the passer but he seems pretty solid against the run.

I notice you didn't include in our #1s Dunta. Could have been an oversight, I suppose, but the guy is tough as nails and more than solid. I don't want to leave him out there on an island. That's why I want some help for him.

I can see your point, though. That's a lot of #1 picks to dedicate to defense. In the Texans FO's defense, though, we did make a change last year, to a 4-3 which means pretty much overhauling a large part of the front seven.

Do we need defense with the #1 pick? Not necessarily. Do we need a running back with the #1 pick? I certainly don't think so. If AP fell to us and we drafted him, I would not have a huge problem with that, since at #10, he'd probably have been BPA for six straight picks but I would also be more than okay with them trading out of that spot and picking up another pick or two from some desperate team (who isn't in our division). I want Kalil as our centre and I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility for us to trade down and take him and some more picks.

Alternately, I would like to see them pick up one of the vaunted free safeties, either at #10 or later.

Trading down to pick up a guy that isn't a need just because we've drafted a lot of first-round defense seems like a bad idea, especially since there are some spots we could definitely shore up with the 3-5 round picks, let alone at 10 or beyond.

I would be a little disappointed if they moved up for anyone whose name wasn't Joe Thomas.

travfrancis
03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Theoretically, we could have released Carr last year, and drafted Vince. I like Vince more than most, but there is no guarantee that VY would have had a good season in Houston.

Would the Texans have run sort of a spread offense or tried to make him into a Denver style guy?

Could he make the baby running backs the Texans have look special like the ones in Tennessee?

He'd have no playmaking PacMan. And goodness knows how bad the Texans defense would have been--I don't know what sort of defensive help the Texans would have got in the draft/free agency.

And would he have been distracted playing in his home town?

Who knows, maybe the energy and excitement would make him better in Houston, but there is no telling when you are dishing alternative histories.

That's why I try not to think of alternative histories. Guys we could have drafted but didn't. Wouldacouldashouldas. Because there is no telling how they would do here.

I'm sorry but that's a load of BS. Sometimes you do know.

hadaad
03-24-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry but that's a load of BS. Sometimes you do know.

And sometimes you do believe. I believe that he wouldn't have started last season, which would have meant plugging Sage or some other retread last year. Who cares? He's not here. He's there, and they can keep him. I'm sure they will.

We got the Schaub and pining after some old home-town flame isn't going to do anything. If you want to cheer for Young, do it. Just know that you're cheering for a division rival of this team and if you cheer on here, expect to hear about it.

Errant Hothy
03-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Eh... possibly you are, but I think it's apparent your sarcasm recognition skills could use a little brushing up... :neener:

Man I got Sarcasm recognition 4.0 baby, I recogonize it all.

^This is what happens to me when I listen to "White & Nerdy" during the morning session on the bike.

VaBandWaggonFan
03-24-2007, 11:57 AM

*hops off soapbox*

:trophy: Win a Super Bowl......

Nice thought....:beerfunnel: :wherewill

J-Storm
03-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much is Mr McNair to blame for some of these moves? Does anyone know how much influence he has over said decisions (seeing as he is signing these cheques handed out)? I'm jus' wondering who is most to blame when it came to the last regime we had of Casserly & Capers, them or the owner...trying to compare their moves etc to the new regime and seeing as McNair is the only constant :shrug:

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with Vinny, we need to respect ourselves first and the rest will take care of it its self. The Texans must start winning for me to respect anything about this organization.

As far as the pop culture of the media, a friend of mine sent me this off the Eagles message board. Looks like the media in Philly is keeping them informed pretty well. I can't argue with Eagle Elvis' points, they are all valid.

Quote:

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. Let me get this straight, in the last year-and-a-half, the Texans have:
- Signed Domanick Davis/Williams to a long-term deal and subsequently lost him to what might be a career ending injury.
- Passed on Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler with the first overall pick in the 06 draft.
- Traded two 2nd round picks and down from #8 overall to #10 for career backup Matt Schaub.
- Signed Matt Schaub to a 6-year, $48mil contract.
- Owned the #1 overall draft pick in 06, drafted a player that they could have gotten at #4 or 5 because he was cheaper than Reggie Bush, and failed to trade down to get any compensation for the #1 pick.
- Owned the #1 overall pick in 06, the #8 in 07, and 2 2nd round picks and somehow wound up with Mario Williams, and the #10 overall pick in 07.
.....And people around here like to complain about the moves the Eagles make. Thank god you're not a Texans fan!

That prety much sums it up. Nice find Wharton. I really hope it works out. I hope schaub makes great progress this season and proves the compensation we surendered for him is equvelent to improved production from the QB spot. They don't even have to match the win/losses from last season...just improvement on that side of the ball.

But as always, and you can mark me high on the list of guys who've passed on this cup of Jim Jones cool aide, the white elephant in the room is the tallent on the o-line. Has been for five years. We're going to find out for sure this season whether or not the QB was the only revelant thingy holding the team back.

Regardless, our wagons are being pulled by Matt now and his progression. We'll see. I hope it works out.

Honoring Earl 34
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Well ... we'll find out .

I bet the OL improved 25% the day they got someone who knows what they're doing ( assuming Schaub knows what he's doing ) .

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 12:52 PM
If Peterson is still there, and the Texans draft him... what team has some quality offensive linemen that they might be willing to part with for an impact back?

I figure a vet tackle and a center (that CAN snap a shotgun) would be a good trade.

You're going to get it one of these years. Good teams do not let superb OLTs walk. They just don't do it. That's what hurts with the loss of the '08 pick. After Spencer is a no show opening day, after Salaam goes down...and JB is your starting OLT...that's when everyone in here will have their come to Jesus momnent on the o-line. When you refrain from keeping o-line tallent stocked with decent players...you get it in the short hairs every year. This season will be no different. You don't need ones across the line to have success. But you danged well need an anchor. We currently don't have one of those thingys locked and loaded for '07. No one is going to trade you a front line OT for All Day. Much less two guys who can up grade, er shore up, our o-line tallent. Our starting o-lineman for '07 are on the roster.

Kaiser Toro
03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
The minute I start listening to Philly fan and their infinite wisdom is the day I become a Philly fan, which is never. Those fans may be passionate, they be knowledgable but suffer from second city syndrome and it is why they act as they do and, consequently, free agents just do not grow roots there and fans remain secluded like the Gimp in the box.

Houston fans that I frequent on this board do indeed have that mentality at times and coupled with the sky is falling mentality it can be sickening.

Change was needed, change is being implemented and the change needs to breathe before we pick it apart otherwise you will continually be salty come good times or bad times and that is just sad.

Kubiak and Smith at least are throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks and if you do not see the development of a FO, Coach and Owner you are missing a large part of the fun and ultimately the quintessential nexus point of the Texans' experience.

Honoring Earl 34
03-24-2007, 12:58 PM
You're going to get it one of these years. Good teams do not let superb OLTs walk. They just don't do it. That's what hurts with the loss of the '08 pick. After Spencer is a no show opening day, after Salaam goes down...and JB is your starting OLT...that's when everyone in here will have their come to Jesus momnent on the o-line. When you refrain from keeping o-line tallent stocked with decent players...you get it in the short hairs every year. This season will be no different. You don't need ones across the line to have success. But you danged well need an anchor. We currently don't have one of those thingys locked and loaded for '07. No one is going to trade you a front line OT for All Day. Much less two guys who can up grade, er shore up, our o-line tallent. Our starting o-lineman for '07 are on the roster.

So Pete ... who is this superb OT .

They added so many OL in the past through the draft and FA and none have panned out .

So you're saying all these guys are worthless ?

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Well ... we'll find out .

I bet the OL improved 25% the day they got someone who knows what they're doing ( assuming Schaub knows what he's doing ) .

That's certainly one way to look at it. I'm looking at it that the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Doesn't mean it's much better. The sacks were down last season. On paper, lol, he's got a better chance. Like the old joke about the two bulls on the top of the hill. One young one and one old one....I think we just ran down the hill and scattered the cows. We've replicated , in every way, the orginal QB pick. We got the cart in front of the horse again is all I'm saying. If he's Elway and not Chriss Chandler, fine. I do not see Brett Farve though. McNair and Kubiak are learning. McNair was loyal with DC to a fault. Kubiak, obviously was haug tied on his options coming in with DC. If it bombs, I'll still be on board. But 'm not going to whip myself up with the ...er, upgrades they made on the o-line this off season. they were in cap hell and they did the best that they could do. That's all. Going to take time.

Please_Evolve
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Agreed on the LT. Which is why i am pulling for Brown myself as I'm not sold on Spencer being able to be back in time.. I think our Guards are good and the center could definately be upgraded; oh how pleased i'd be to not have to start McKinney there again. I think Winston will pan out Fine at RT though. Looked better as he got more reps. I think he'll be solid.

Also thinking maybe there's something more to Walter as the #2. Kind of concerned me as to why we signed him to that much as a third option. Maybe Kubiak knows something we don't...I'm kind of hoping for the next Ed McCafferey myself.

Honoring Earl 34
03-24-2007, 01:24 PM
That's certainly one way to look at it. I'm looking at it that the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Doesn't mean it's much better. The sacks were down last season. On paper, lol, he's got a better chance. Like the old joke about the two bulls on the top of the hill. One young one and one old one....I think we just ran down the hill and scattered the cows. We've replicated , in every way, the orginal QB pick. We got the cart in front of the horse again is all I'm saying. If he's Elway and not Chriss Chandler, fine. I do not see Brett Farve though. McNair and Kubiak are learning. McNair was loyal with DC to a fault. Kubiak, obviously was haug tied on his options coming in with DC. If it bombs, I'll still be on board. But 'm not going to whip myself up with the ...er, upgrades they made on the o-line this off season. they were in cap hell and they did the best that they could do. That's all. Going to take time.

I'm saying that this is the year of WRs and DBs .

Next year it's OTs , QBs , and RBs or at least it seems that way .

So if we get a #2 WR , CB , FS , and a QB ... it's a damn good offseason .

I think Schaub will be more of a heady QB ( Brady or Montana ... no I'm not comparing them ) than a physacally gifted guy like Favre or Elway .

It seems Schaub has a chance to be good ... he will be the conductor of the offense not the focal point .

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
So Pete ... who is this superb OT .

They added so many OL in the past through the draft and FA and none have panned out .

So you're saying all these guys are worthless ?

Ok once more....Pitts is a good left gaurd. We've got diddle squat at center. Whoever they play there, none of them is even a marginal NFL center. Weary is a liablity in pass protection. And so are the two centers. Salaam is a great back up. But he's riding on thrity something legs....any projection that you're not going to see Jordan Black, who was pretty much run out of KC for his ablity, or lack there of, is ludicrous on it's face. As is stupidly posting that we have four OTs on the roster. And then there's Spnecer....wanna guess which way that one is going to go ? Smells like Wong to me. But I don't know for sure. If he's back at 100% by opening day...and hasn't lost a step with the injury, they've got a chance. He's our anchor. Never mind that it's basically the cartledge and noone, not the coach , not the palyer and not the doctors know as of today if that, 100 % by opening day, is true. Erick Winston is still learning. Projecting him to OLT, a postion he hasn't mastered since his sophmore season in college, and in all probablity, will never master with his short arms on the NFL level , is a reach. Again this team has never had an anchor. Unless you're projecting the potetial of Spencer's emminate return after a two game success, we still don't have one. You can make it with one or two weak links in the chain, but four of them ? we don't have and never had an anchor. We let those guys sail off to the other teams...It's tradition. And now you Got Ahmen and Matt playing behind this group. Too leaky a vesel for my tastes for sure. This board has always over valued the current tallent level on the o-line.

Vinny
03-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Ok once more....Pitts is a good left gaurd. We've got diddle squat at center. Whoever they play there, none of them is even a marginal NFL center. .
Flannigan is more than marginal...he's just injury prone. The chicken little syndrome has you hard pete.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Agreed on the LT. Which is why i am pulling for Brown myself as I'm not sold on Spencer being able to be back in time.. I think our Guards are good and the center could definately be upgraded; oh how pleased i'd be to not have to start McKinney there again. I think Winston will pan out Fine at RT though. Looked better as he got more reps. I think he'll be solid.

Also thinking maybe there's something more to Walter as the #2. Kind of concerned me as to why we signed him to that much as a third option. Maybe Kubiak knows something we don't...I'm kind of hoping for the next Ed McCafferey myself.

Well he isn't superb yet. The moment they draft him, he'll be the second best prospect we've ever picked up. If his quick feet, long arms and pwerfull caboose and hand puch makes up for the lack of distance speed, we'll have our ancohor. And it will be a non issue were they play Winston or Spencer.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 01:37 PM
The minute I start listening to Philly fan and their infinite wisdom is the day I become a Philly fan, which is never. Those fans may be passionate, they be knowledgable but suffer from second city syndrome and it is why they act as they do and, consequently, free agents just do not grow roots there and fans remain secluded like the Gimp in the box.

Houston fans that I frequent on this board do indeed have that mentality at times and coupled with the sky is falling mentality it can be sickening.

Change was needed, change is being implemented and the change needs to breathe before we pick it apart otherwise you will continually be salty come good times or bad times and that is just sad.

Kubiak and Smith at least are throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks and if you do not see the development of a FO, Coach and Owner you are missing a large part of the fun and ultimately the quintessential nexus point of the Texans' experience.

As far as I'm concerned, the facts are the facts no matter which quarter they are coming from. Just me I prefer the truth. As far as chicken little is concerned , you wanna run off the cliff and be blissful as you fall, fine by me.
I think the offensive stats speak for themselves. DC was the goat...I got it. We'll see.

Kaiser Toro
03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the facts are the facts no matter which quarter they are coming from. Just me I prefer the truth. As far as chicken little is concerned , you wanna run off the cliff and be blissful as you fall, fine by me.
I think the offensive stats speak for themselves. DC was the goat...I got it. We'll see.

I do not know who this Chicken Little is you are talking about, but if he can play FS, CB2, C or DT I am all ears.

Get over your saltiness. You were salty on fans who thought Carr and his contract were debilitating to our growth and now you take solace in other fans views who only get their info on the Texans from media outlets, which by the way do not watch us either. Try being a Texan fan rather than a Texan fan critic for once.

Specnatz
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree with Vinny, we need to respect ourselves first and the rest will take care of it its self. The Texans must start winning for me to respect anything about this organization.

- Traded two 2nd round picks and down from #8 overall to #10 for career backup Matt Schaub. - Signed Matt Schaub to a 6-year, $48mil contract.
....And people around here like to complain about the moves the Eagles make. Thank god you're not a Texans fan! How did that TO thing work out for philly?

Gee wasn't Steve young and Brett Farve career back-ups until they started? Until a guy starts he is a career back-up!!
Are you sure we could have gotten him at #4 or #5 considering he was the #1 deffensive prospect and most people thought the saints would take him at #2 This is speculation only.
Can you say raiders??
What kind of compensation did they get for him??

This guy does not know a darn thing except what eSPIN tells him. Most people do not know how to do a little research on their own anymore.

South Texan
03-24-2007, 03:28 PM
As far as the Carr contract, I think McNair took the blame in a subtle way at the Schaub presser. A big part of living is dealing with your mistakes and moving on, looks like that's what they are doing.

What I am having a problem with is trying to guess their thinking on the draft.

They have picked up some help on the O-Line and RB's in Free Agency... does that mean they are hoping for secondary help with someone like Landry?

Are they confident enough in Green/Dayne/Taylor to pass up Petterson if he is there?

Do they decide not to take a chance on Spencer's availability and draft Levi Brown?

Sad part is, they are not going to fill all the holes this year, but I do expect improvement this year, at least a .500 season. I wish the Draft were over, my fingernails are getting worn down to nubs.