PDA

View Full Version : Carr and Domanick Williams Released

Pages : [1] 2

The Dude Abides
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4656573.html

No picks? Come on.

and Dominick. No surprise about that.

After weeks of trying to get a draft choice for quarterback David Carr, the Texans have decided to release the five-year veteran, making him an unrestricted free agent who can sign with any team in the league.

The Texans also are releasing running back Domanick Williams (formerly Davis), their former leading rusher who has been unable to play because of a knee injury.

An announcement is expected later today.

amazingandre
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
carr and domanick have just been released per nfl network!!!!!!!

amazingandre
03-23-2007, 03:52 PM
man i cant believe we just cut both of them....wow....what does this do to cap????

hadaad
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing they have to pay the remainder of each player's signing bonus, unless they released them as virtual post-June-1st cuts. If that's the case, then they hold on to that cap hit until June 1st, when the hit will spread out over the next two years.

I think.

Cap is tricky. Um.

Exithios
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4656573.html

No picks? Come on.

and Dominick. No surprise about that.

Wow, well this puts the DC speculation to rest... move along, nothing to see here.

Texans Pride
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I am not suprised, but it makes me sick we got nothing in return for Carr.

I AM FREAKING SICK!!!

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
What in the world are thay thinking. DD/DW was a fore gone conclusion we knew that was more than likely going to happen. But to release Carr this early before the draft is strange s#$t even Det. got a 6th rounded for Harrington. If this is true first bad move by the FO IMO.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
Both good moves. Apparently no one wants to pick up that contract on Carr.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
What in the world are thay thinking. DD/DW was a fore gone conclusion we knew that was more than likely going to happen. But to release Carr this early before the draft is strange s#$t even Det. got a 6th rounded for Harrington. If this is true first bad move by the FO IMO.

It could be to spread the cap hit over two seasons instead of one, allowing us to actually sign our draft picks.

Porky
I tried to warn ya. Don't blame the messenger. :hides:

Bye Bye Davy. :BananaWav

The Golden Boy will soon have a new home.

:bananasplit: :toast2:

santo
Oh well,

good luck to both Carr and Williams...

Blake
03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
I think im going to be sick... Why do other teams get picks for players, and we tend to just cut them? I will never figure that one out...

BSofA04
Dammit!!! We got nothing out of this! Why couldn't we have gotten a deal done prior to Schaub?????

Specnatz
It is part of a June 1st cut.

SamuraiSword
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM

I AM FREAKING SICK!!!

Blame Carr and his high price that is on his contract. His ego is so high he doesn't wan't to lose pride and face reality by not restructuring his contract because he knows he sucks.

Errant Hothy
Was is everybody surprised that no one was willing to give us a pick for Carr? We all so how bad he played last year, did y'all think other teams wouldn't look at teh film?

Dunta_23
price of contract thats why

Texans Pride

freedoggy77
that makes me sick. we could have gotten at least a 4th for Carr

hadaad
I think im going to be sick... Why do other teams get picks for players, and we tend to just cut them? I will never figure that one out...

Looks like Kastofsna was right and Rick Smith tipped his hand too early. I don't feel too bad about this. The shock from earlier this week has worn off and I accept that it is best for all parties.

cpirone
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Official.....

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3377&section=N%20Latest%20News

Marcus
Smith

(on the negotiations with Atlanta GM Rich McKay and the status of Texans QB David Carr) “I’ll address the latter question first. First of all, I think everybody up here and everybody in this organization appreciates the contributions that David Carr made to this franchise and to this city. We are working with his representatives and with David to find a place for David to continue his NFL career. Matt is our starting quarterback and we’re trying to help David find another place. We’re trying to trade him in the next couple of days. We feel good about the prospects; David is obviously a talented football player and has value, and I think that value is recognized over the league. So I don’t think we’ll have a problem with that and I think he will be excited about a new opportunity, and we’re hopeful that he will continue have an NFL career and be successful.

Knew he'd regret saying that.

Errant Hothy

With his contract, not unless he was willing to restructure. And I'm willing to bet he didn't want to do that.

hadaad

Who from? I didn't hear anyone say they were willing to give up a 4th for Carr. The only quotes I read were from Brad Childress who said he didn't want him.

mikey21
well we all knew this day was coming for both Carr, Williams/Davis, the question I have is what are the cap ramifications by releasing both guys

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Well, apparently we couldn't have.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 04:02 PM
AJ do we know what kind of a cap hit this is gonna cause for us?...are we saving any money with releasing DW? or are we just cutting line and moving on?

Pantherstang84
I tried to warn ya. Don't blame the messenger. :hides:

Bye Bye Davy. :BananaWav

The Golden Boy will soon have a new home.

:bananasplit: :toast2:

Like you said there is nashing of teeth.

But...

Good Luck to David Carr and Dominick Williams. Live long and prosper.

The page has been turned.

Stay tuned to the NFL Network to find out where Carr is going and where his fans can sign up on a new message board.

Time to move on.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
I thought I heard McClain say we would save 3.5 mil for cutting Domanick Williams.

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Nobody should be surprised here.

We all knew that Dom was done when the season started and all other 31 teams in the NFL knew that they wouldn't have to give up a pick for Carr.

Pantherstang84
AJ do we know what kind of a cap hit this is gonna cause for us?...are we saving any money with releasing DW? or are we just cutting line and moving on?

Either way they are both good things.

Errant Hothy
I'm willing to bet both will be designated June 1 cuts, meaning both of their cap hits will be on next years cap.

Am I right, aj?

Porky
Some of you people are clearly delisonal. Some of the silly stuff I have seen about 2nd rd picks and stuff gave me a good laugh. I have been saying for months nobody is going to want this guy. Go back and look at my posts as recent as yesterday. Let's all leap off the bridge because nobody wanted him. It's additon by subtraction folks. It's time to rejoice and celebrate. The biggest anchor in the NFL is gone, and this ship is sailing. It's all on board that's coming onboard! :dance2: :redtowel:

rafterticket
This is for the best. I hope David gets a chance somewhere else, soon, and kicks butt. But it was time to move on in Houston.

alphajoker
03-23-2007, 04:04 PM
WTF!!!

Vinny

I AM FREAKING SICK!!!
You overvalued him

Mr. White

I think that he already knew he'd probably be getting released when he said it.

TexansMVP
03-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow released just like that...and for nothing. :confused:

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 04:05 PM

For Carr it is $2 mil of dead money on the 2007 cap and $2 mil on the 2008 cap. Net saving to the cap in 2007 -- $6.75 mil.

Domanick has $3.9 mil of dead money--$1.95 this year and $1.95 mil next. Net savings on the 2007 cap -- $2.69 mil.

John Lopez is being a dullard again talking about having to pay his salary for the next two years.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM

I don't know why he'd regret saying that... what he said surely had no impct whatsoever on the fact that no other team wanted to take on Carr's contract.

DoCRoN
So....

How soon does Carr get picked up by another team???

I see a number of teams bringing him in now that the price will be cheaper.

Any thoughts?

amazingandre
the organization is doing so well this off season i am pumped to see schaub play.....and the draft

Vinny
that makes me sick. we could have gotten at least a 4th for CarrDavid Carr's last 40 quarters of play gave us 2 TD passes. 1 was in garbage time. You are shocked nobody wanted some of this for 8 mil a year?

Ole Miss Texan
wow, we couldn't even get like a 6th or 7th round pick NEXT year!!!???

Specnatz
You overvalued him

I did not over value you him I just thought that a team would trade for him instead of a bidding war .. I am SHOCKED

Leached Matched as well!!!!

Bamaborn-Texasbred
03-23-2007, 04:07 PM
If I were a fan of ANY other team, I would be upset if my team gave up any draft pick AND paid what David Carr has left on his contract. The cut makes sense to me.

amazingandre
03-23-2007, 04:07 PM
So....

Any thoughts?

oakland probably already called him....lol

HOU-TEX
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Some of you people are clearly delisonal. Some of the silly stuff I have seen about 2nd rd picks and stuff gave me a good laugh. I have been saying for months nobody is going to want this guy. Go back and look at my posts as recent as yesterday. Let's all leap off the bridge because nobody wanted him. It's additon by subtraction folks. It's time to rejoice and celebrate. The biggest anchor in the NFL is gone, and this ship is sailing. It's all on board that's coming onboard! :dance2: :redtowel:

Agreed. If he does get another chance in the NFL, it won't be for long. He'll be in the CFL with Harrington before long. If he succeeds, good for him. Let's move on. Hopefully everything concerning Carr will now be moved to the NFL section.:tearup:

Pantherstang84

I'm on board. Let's go!

DarkNinja
:sos: I think this team/franchise is going to need some vaseline. Because they really getting screwed all up.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 04:09 PM
If I were a fan of ANY other team, I would be upset if my team gave up any draft pick AND paid what David Carr has left on his contract. The cut makes sense to me.

And that is the perspective everyone should have instead of bitching and moaning.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
So....

Any thoughts?

You kidding he's on a flight to Oakland as we type. Start the pool I give him 36 hours to have a new contract(granted at a MUCH lower price)

HoustonFrog
This wasn't too hard to see coming. The Texans announced they were trading him and probably had been trying since the end of last season. Teams, with the Schaub deal, weren't going to give up a pick when they just had to wait.

TexansMVP
03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Didn't some team get some picks out of Dave Ragone sometime last year? I understand that we might be saving some money by cutting Carr, but you're telling me Dave Ragone had some value while the best they could do for Carr was release him?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
Agreed. If he does get another chance in the NFL, it won't be for long. He'll be in the CFL with Harrington before long. If he succeeds, good for him. Let's move on. Hopefully everything concerning Carr will now be moved to the NFL section.:tearup:

Agreed. From this point forward, any David threads should be in the NFL section. (a place I rarely visit)

BattleRedRaider
Well, that's the end of that.

Swampdunkey
I am just wondering what the heck were they thinking. IF they were gonna let him go they shoulda done it last year and took Vince Young. I know this has had to have been posted already. BUT dang what the hell

TexasJedi
Dang! Well at least Carr has a chance to pick his destination and it's just over with. Best of luck with that.

Still say the Texans mishandled Carr from day 1.

No surprise to see Domanick released. How long until Kubiak releases Mathis?

shanden
At least the Texans have some cash to sign another FA or two before the draft.

I wouldnt be surprised if Carr didn't want to renegotiate and made any trade hit a wall. Teams must feel they don't mind a bidding war for him either.

El Amigo Invisible

We are the worst FO in the league.NO PICKS????? NOT EVEN A 6th???????????????

Specnatz
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM
:sos: I think this team/franchise is going to need some vaseline. Because they really getting screwed all up.

No the team had no direction under capers and casserly and now they have a direction and a purpose.

GO TEXANS

Marcus
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't know why he'd regret saying that... what he said surely had no impct whatsoever on the fact that no other team wanted to take on Carr's contract.

Well, he gave me the impression that he has value tradewise. Gave me the impression that a deal would be done the next couple of days.

Seņor Stan
03-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Nobody should be surprised here.

We all knew that Dom was done when the season started and all other 31 teams in the NFL knew that they wouldn't have to give up a pick for Carr.

I was actually kind of concerned that DD/DW would not be able to be cut because of his injury.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
I am just wondering what the heck were they thinking. IF they were gonna let him go they shoulda done it last year and took Vince Young. I know this has had to have been posted already. BUT dang what the hell

Spilled milk:crying:

joshri
Here comes the 500 pages of messages

texan_b

ummm... I doubt they knew they were going to release him last year before the season started. If he played well he would still be the QB.

HOU-TEX
03-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Dang! Well at least Carr has a chance to pick his destination and it's just over with. Best of luck with that.

Still say the Texans mishandled Carr from day 1.

No surprise to see Domanick released. How long until Kubiak releases Mathis?

Maybe so, but he's going to be in for a rude awakening once he sees the type of salary offerings he'll be getting. lol:redtowel:

hellbentforfootball
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Was is everybody surprised that no one was willing to give us a pick for Carr? We all so how bad he played last year, did y'all think other teams wouldn't look at teh film?

What in the hell is that? dude my significant other is a teacher and you might wanna brush up on that sentence structuring.

DC and DW it was nice watching you guys early in your carreer. It looked like a great offensive trio was emerging, but alas, it just wasn't meant to be. As a lifer season ticket holder and on behalf of our group in 136, let us just say thanks for the great memories. Dal, Season opener KC and season opener MIA, sweep of Tenn in 05, and last Dave thanks for Indy, at least you finally got over that wall after coming close many times.

swisher

:wheel:

Pantherstang84
You kidding he's on a flight to Oakland as we type. Start the pool I give him 36 hours to have a new contract(granted at a MUCH lower price)

Are you kidding? He has probably been there all week.

hadaad
Didn't some team get some picks out of Dave Ragone sometime last year? I understand that we might be saving some money by cutting Carr, but you're telling me Dave Ragone had some value while the best they could do for Carr was release him?

Dave Ragone was a chance at potential for a low dollar. David Carr was a chance at potential for millions and millions of dollars. I don't think we've seen the end of David Carr in the NFL. If we have, I hope he gets to the CFL. I'd like to see what he could do with my Blue Bombers.

BattleRedRaider
Here comes the 500 pages of messages

That's too small a number.

texanmojo
03-23-2007, 04:15 PM

I don't think you have been watching the same team I have but I think the franchise is finally getting it right. Its the fans that have been needing the vaseline the last 5 years.

Champ
Too bad for Domanick he's from outside my hometown and one of my favorite former LSU Tigers. Truth be told he was the only reason I watched the Texans. I'm glad he was able to get paid before he got hurt.

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
I claim VICTORY.....finally. Whew. A long time coming. :elmo:

texansfan1974
Well, he's gone. Good luck David. Hope he finds a new job and does well except when he comes to Houston or we go see him. This thread is for all of us to say good by to DC. Please show him some respect.:joker:

potisyourfriend
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM

I AM FREAKING SICK!!!

Nobody wants an overpaid, crappy QB. Would you trade for an Erin Brooks with Carrs contract if you were any team in the NFL?? LOL, no..

Mr. White
Well, he gave me the impression that he has value tradewise. Gave me the impression that a deal would be done the next couple of days.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this has been the plan all along.

People get fired on Fridays (like Office Space.)

I think that Smith may have been trying to get a trade, but the decision was already made that he would be off the roster by the end of the day regardless.

To do otherwise would defy common sense. :twocents:

BattleRedRaider
Nobody wants an overpaid QB.. Would you trade for a Erin Brooks with Carrs contract if you were any team in the NFL?? LOL

Oh, so that's Aaron Brooks' nickname these days

Mr teX
03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Blame Carr and his high price that is on his contract. His ego is so high he doesn't wan't to lose pride and face reality by not restructuring his contract because he knows he sucks.

Even on his way out people still find a way say something negative about this guy, i'll never understand it. :thumbdown

hadaad
Maybe so, but he's going to be in for a rude awakening once he sees the type of salary offerings he'll be getting. lol:redtowel:

Salary, schmalary. After what he's made here, I doubt he'll be coming back so that he can support his family. He has something to prove, and I think he knows that.

Whether he proves it or not is for him, his next team and the football gods to decide.

Vinny
Even on his way out people still find a way say something negative about this guy, i'll never understand it. :thumbdown
I can help....how many TD passes did he have his last 40 quarters of play with the Texans?

Seņor Stan
03-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I can help....how many TD passes did he have his last 40 quarters of play with the Texans?

2 more than I did.

HOU-TEX
03-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Salary, schmalary. After what he's made here, I doubt he'll be coming back so that he can support his family. He has something to prove, and I think he knows that.

Whether he proves it or not is for him, his next team and the football gods to decide.

Maybe so, who cares?:confused:

bad
Bye bye David. Thanks for beating the Cowboys. Good luck and good health.

TheRealJoker
What will this forum talk about now?

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-23-2007, 04:20 PM

Schaub to AJ, that's what. :dance2:

Johnny Utah
HELL YEAH!!! It's time to celebrate boyos. I'm going out to get my drink on tonight and celebrate the new era of Houston Texans football.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

HoustonFrog

Are you kidding..in 2 years Mario will be the new Carr:)...kidding people...sort of.

nunusguy
Best ending for all concerned - time for everyone to move on.
Good luck DC ! Hope you end up in the NFC, since I got no one to root for
over in that conference.

Cupps
It was a good run, no matter what anyone else (read: Carr Haters) have to say. I'm happy to be moving in a new direction, but said to see our first leader leave.

Good luck, and I, for one, hope to see him find success somewhere else. I will always remember 19-10. And no one can deny that Carr was full of class, and always did everything in his power for this city and this team.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Maybe so, who cares?:confused:

You were the one talking about how much he'd make. I just commented on that.

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Best ending for all concerned - time for everyone to move on.
Good luck DC ! Hope you end up in the NFC, since I got no one to root for
over in that conference.

The Cowboys need a #2 QB. :joker:

Pantherstang84
Adios.

Lucky
I don't think this was Smith's call. Smith would have held on to Carr until the draft in the remote chance that a team that came up empty on a QB would give up a pick.

This had to be McNair's decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr had talked directly to McNair and asked for a release. This was David's best chance to get another gig.

Marcus
The more I think about it, the more it seems like this has been the plan all along.

People get fired on Fridays (like Office Space.)

I think that Smith may have been trying to get a trade, but the decision was already made that he would be off the roster by the end of the day regardless.

To do otherwise would defy common sense. :twocents:

Well, IMO, Smith's statement was misleading. If the plan was to release Carr from the get go, then he should have just said so.

He didn't lead me on with his statement, but from reading other people's posts yesterday and today, it's apparent that he led a few others on.

Should have kept his mouth shut about it.

swisher
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM

The Falcons need a new #2 QB.

HOU-TEX
03-23-2007, 04:24 PM
You were the one talking about how much he'd make. I just commented on that.

lol! OK, no worries. I'm just happy the Carr era is over.:)

Vinny
I don't think this was Smith's call. Smith would have held on to Carr until the draft in the remote chance that a team that came up empty on a QB would give up a pick.

This had to be McNair's decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr had talked directly to McNair and asked for a release. This was David's best chance to get another gig.
yep....I'd say this is how it went down.

hadaad
Well, IMO, Smith's statement was misleading. If the plan was to release Carr from the get go, then he should have just said so.

He didn't lead me on with his statement, but from reading other people's posts yesterday and today, it's apparent that he led a few others on.

Who tells the truth leading up to the draft? Aside from the team with the #1 overall that doesn't plan to trade it, that is...

I can see your point. It's hard to see any benefit to the Texans, Smith saying what he did.

Tailgate
03-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Sweet... for better or for worse... the Carr era is officially over. NOW LETS FRICKING MOVE ON WITH OUR TEAM!

infantrycak

Lead who on? You are assuming they made no attempts to solicit a trade. Once Trent Green decided to deal with Miami, that ended the best chance of a trade. Doesn't mean Smith mislead anyone just because it didn't work out.

TEXANRED
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the NFL forum?

Gamehorn25
I really hope that Schaub plays well, or he will be blasted more than DC. People will say that we over paid for him, and we should have given him a smaller contract. Say what you want, but the Boo-birds will find some reason to boo at anyone they want to.

BradK10
Getting anything more than a early 2nd day pick was a pipe dream folks

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
So long DC you will always be known as the 1 QB for the Houston Texans. Wish you and your family all the best. Good Luck with your future team.

dirty steve
vin--you use that over and over again but it is very telling. blame the o-line, wr's, rb's, all you want, you have to do better than that. 2 touches...man.

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
It was a good run, no matter what anyone else (read: Carr Haters) have to say. I'm happy to be moving in a new direction, but said to see our first leader leave.

Good luck, and I, for one, hope to see him find success somewhere else. I will always remember 19-10. And no one can deny that Carr was full of class, and always did everything in his power for this city and this team.

The nightmare is finally over.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the NFL forum?

David Carr and Domanick Williams were released from the Texans. We're talking about the motivations of the Texans GM and Front Office. I don't see any generic NFL news in here.

MATRIX
790 AM reported it.

Saying that no team was interested in Carr even after we contacted the ones who had shown interest. Thus, we cut Carr and Williams and moved on.

And saved some money, the only way we would of got a pick is for either or both to redo their deals. And it has been reported NOBODY wants DW, and Carr wouldn't redo his contract.

See ya guys

Carr may hang it up. Unless he will at last NOW take less cash, he won't get signed. And Williams, we shall see if someone trys him...and sees if he can play.

Errant Hothy
To lazy to quote the posters, but the Cowboys sign Brad Johnson and teh Falcons are looking to sign Anthony Wright.

So is Carr going to be a Raider of a Viking?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
03-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Are you kidding..in 2 years Mario will be the new Carr:)...kidding people...sort of.

People will always find something to complain about. It is in our nature.

I'm just glad we won't be debating (hopefully) about who gets the blame for this sack or that one for a while.

Did David hold the ball too long? Should he have run when he had the chance? Did this lineman or that one blow the scheme? Was the coverage too good? Should we get Andre some more help to get open? Is the running back helping out enough with the blocking scheme?

It was amazing how much time I and many of you wasted debating these questions. Thank the maker it is over for at least a little while.

TexasJedi

You are entitled to your opinion, but seriously why did you have to respond like that? Too many people taking too much pleasure in Carr' demise.

TEXANRED
David Carr and Domanick Williams were released from the Texans. We're talking about the motivations of the Texans GM and Front Office. I don't see any generic NFL news in here.

It was a joke.

Vinny
vin--you use that over and over again but it is very telling. blame the o-line, wr's, rb's, all you want, you have to do better than that. 2 touches...man.
Yeah, it's been grating on me since the end of the football season....but now that Big Dave is free to go find a team of his choosing I just want to wish him good luck. I wasn't a fan of his play on the field but we couldn't have had a better person as the face of our franchise start. Best of luck to him and Hulk.

Porky
03-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I hear that team in Katy needs a QB. Maybe Davy should look them up.

dirty steve
Carr may hang it up. Unless he will at last NOW take less cash, he won't get signed. And Williams, we shall see if someone trys him...and sees if he can play.
i doubt it, but i dont see him catching on until after the draft and then he could get calls from teams that didnt get a QB and still feel like they need one.

HoustonFrog
To lazy to quote the posters, but the Cowboys sign Brad Johnson and teh Falcons are looking to sign Anthony Wright.

So is Carr going to be a Raider of a Viking?

Their coach isn't too high on Dave.

Marcus

Well, I can buy that. Being since I think it was strictly McNair's decision to extend Carr last year, then I guess I can believe this was strictly McNair's call, too.

Good observation.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Yes, I'm sure he regrets giving you that impression... :)

hadaad
03-23-2007, 04:29 PM
It was a joke.

Oh. I don't get it.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
For Carr it is $2 mil of dead money on the 2007 cap and $2 mil on the 2008 cap. Net saving to the cap in 2007 -- $6.75 mil.

Domanick has $3.9 mil of dead money--$1.95 this year and $1.95 mil next. Net savings on the 2007 cap -- $2.69 mil.

John Lopez is being a dullard again talking about having to pay his salary for the next two years.

so this move is putting about 9.4 mill back into this years cap...not too bad for two guys being released...that means our cap space number has increased by almost 10 million...am i right?

hadaad
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Their coach isn't too high on Dave.

Again, who tells the truth, coming up to the draft?

Vinny
03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Would you want to play for a guy that ripped your compentancy in the Media?

Gamehorn25
03-23-2007, 04:32 PM

I don't know if any coaches are very high on him, or else he would have been traded for a low round draft pick or a backup for someone.

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2007, 04:33 PM

He had a HUGE contract. I bet no one was willing to trade for him unless he restructured his contract and I bet he refused to do that.

The Texans could have held him hostage but decided to "do right" by him and let him go so he can sign on with someone soon of his own choosing.

rafterticket
03-23-2007, 04:34 PM

The Cowboys need a #1, too.

hadaad
Would you want to play for a guy that ripped your compentancy in the Media?

Money speaks louder than words.

Vinny
I really think some of you guys don't think much.

Mr. White

IIRC, Rick Smith said "we're trying to find a new place for David." I'm not sure that the word "trade" was even used.

shanden
03-23-2007, 04:35 PM
David definitely has confidence in his abilities and I can imagine the insult he felt that A) he got dumped publically for a back-up and B) was asked for a pay cut to do his previous team a favor.

Pretty easy to see why he would not renegotiate. I think McNair out of loyalty or something felt obliged to give him the best chance of a starting role with numerous teams rather then the Texans use their last string of leverage to hold on to Carr through the draft and wait to cut him till the last minute.

Unfortunately Carr has so much confidence I think he will be shocked how much teams feel he was proportionately responsible for poor offense management the last few years.

whiskeyrbl
Just cut the ties.. suck it up and move on. They mishandled the Carr situation from day1 to the last day. No surprise. Now lets win some damn football games

HoustonFrog

I'll post it a third time today. This is a little stronger than draft rhetoric. This is someone who has studied the guy. I'm assuming this isn't the only person with these thougths for that money. I also think there is no doubt he has been shopped since the day the season ended and there has been no real takers. After seeing the market and the guys out there, it says alot.

"Childress told the station the Vikings aren't interested in trading for Carr, and he explained why.

"I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over-the-top release.

"Just in the tape I've watched in the (five) years he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, (but) he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from.

"(It's) a little more difficult to throw in-the-seam throws because it doesn't come from over the top. He can't get a ball to get out of his hand, get up and get down.

"He's a smart guy; he's a decent athlete. But when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out. You pick a Carr, you pick a quarterback because you like all the things about him. ... You don't want to feel like there are any perceived flaws."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4654994.html

potisyourfriend
Oh, so that's Aaron Brooks' nickname these days

with a womans name..

HuttoKarl
Agreed. From this point forward, any David threads should be in the NFL section. (a place I rarely visit)

Awesome!!!!

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 04:36 PM
so this move is putting about 9.4 mill back into this years cap...not too bad for two guys being released...that means our cap space number has increased by almost 10 million...am i right?

Should be if they are making these June 1st cuts as everyone is assuming.

hadaad

I certainly try not to.

michaelm
Getting anything was a pipe dream folks

Fixed it for you, Brad.

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM

I agree.

Not much else to say.

TexasJedi
03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh yes. Expansion teams should never take a QB with the first pick in their first draft.

BigCraig51
The Cowboys need a #1, too.

For one, Romo played half a season, (his first TD pass was against the TEXANS!) and still had better stats than David Carr. Everyone said it was all the O-Lines fault that Bledsoe sucked but it was just that he was the freaking Statue of Liberty and wouldn't get out of the way (like David Carr). But when Romo came in all criticism of the line stopped. It will be the same way with the Texans.

Just to be fair, it's not Carr's fault. He never had anyone to guide him, he had unrealistic expectations put on him, and being sacked 249 times doesn't help anything (not counting knockdowns). He might have been a crappy QB for the Texans but I expect him to do good for another NFL team. He is a class act and is not done.

luvyablue52
You guys ready to kill yourselves yet?
Way to let go of a starting quarterback who will probably do well somewhere else for NOTHING.
almost as idiotic as throwing away your future for a unproven backup quarterback and passing on 2 possible hall of fame players in the draft last year.

Second Honeymoon

first off, both those players have little to no value. williams/davis is hurt and career is over and carr sucks and has a prohibitively overpriced contract. obviously carr's agents did not want to renegotiate (something harrington's agent was willing to do and they still got squat)

it is obvious that Carr was not willing to renegotiate to help payback the Texans for their years of patience....great guy my ass...greedy and a baby

shanden
I think there is some hope in this since Smith had nothing to do with the 8million dollar mistake nor the 2006 draft.

We should not pile on him while he is just cleaning up mess dumped on him, courtesy Casserly and owner.

I think he still needs to learn better GM strategy and manuevering, but considering he is a rookie GM he has done a lot more good and fair moves then terrible moves. If you say the Schaub deal was a terrible move, then I guess I should get lottery numbers from you and option picks since you obviously have clairvoyance abilities better then Nostradomas to see how Schaub will perform on the field the next two years.

swisher
03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/swisher/carr-1.jpg

Good luck Dave.

Mr teX
DC being released means the O-Line now has no more excuses.

HoustonFrog
I just remembered that I will be drawn to sports talk radio like a moth to a flame today and can't wait to hear "Hey guys, first time long time..is there anyway we can now resign Dave as the backup for a cheaper price..thanks I'll hang up and listen.":)

I'm sure his agent can work out a deal with TGFHaircutters for spokesmodel work. They can give a 2nd rounder to Super Cuts...sorry had to one last time.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 04:41 PM

And others think too much...

I'm tweener...

TwinSisters
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/history/virtual/portrait/louis16-execution.jpg

Liberty! Revolution!

Good bye King David, Long Live El Presidente Schaub!

The Mob rules.

SESupergenius
They showed their cards too early. Of course they had to release him, if a team knows the Texans are going to release Carr and not keep him, no way they would make an offer for him with draft picks and other compensation I'm telling you, the Texans just don't know how to play poker.

Mr teX
03-23-2007, 04:42 PM
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/history/virtual/portrait/louis16-execution.jpg

Liberty! Revolution!

The Mob rules.

Classic!

Porky
In the same spirit as the Governor of the great state of Texas I say

"Adios, mofo."

Exithios

Liberty! Revolution!

The Mob rules.

LOL... priceless!

BattleRedRaider
03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
with a womans name..

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9088/cap001qb2.jpg

But isn't Erin....a woman's name?

Marcus
03-23-2007, 04:45 PM
IIRC, Rick Smith said "we're trying to find a new place for David." I'm not sure that the word "trade" was even used.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=638208&postcount=22

Andrew6
03-23-2007, 04:46 PM
:yikes:
I am still trying to get over the shock of these two releases. That being said WTF WTF WTF, I mean honestly now is there no way we couldn't get some draft picks even if its in next years draft. This sickens me, we let go of a pretty decent QB and a RB that .... ummm welll hmmm ok freeloaded off the TEXANS all year long. Still we could of did a package deal w/ a team. :cry2:

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 04:47 PM

So it was. I stand corrected.

rafterticket
03-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Liberty! Revolution!

The Mob rules.

That picture is funny, since I was just reading at lunch about Girondins, Robespierre and Danton. Tying that coincidence together is hilarious.

humbleone
They showed their cards too early. Of course they had to release him, if a team knows the Texans are going to release Carr and not keep him, no way they would make an offer for him with draft picks and other compensation I'm telling you, the Texans just don't know how to play poker.

Agree with this and Drob running his mouth off on cold pizza did not help us either.

Fiddy
Everyone thought I was an ***** when I throught the deal Casserly gave Davis/Williams was stupid. Why wasnt I hired over Casserly???

The dead money keeps building.

mexican_texan
03-23-2007, 04:49 PM

That is all. Thank you.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Damn, Marcus... you seem pretty upset that Rick mislead you...

Second Honeymoon

it was a good run?!?!? are you freaking kidding me....

oh and he DIDNT do everything in his power to help this city or team because if he did he would still be here. he sucked and wouldnt even reneg his contract to make it more market value to help 'the team'

whatever, he sucked and anyone who cares about the team and not some little fairy choir boy know that I speak the truth

as for Domanick, see ya Dom. Hope you enjoyed the new contract that you never even earned....at least you had an excuse....what is Carr's excuse?

oh wait, I have been hearing excuses for 5 years...well it ends today

HOORAY

HALLELUJAH

don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, Carr

haha....now all the cali carr cartel can find another forum to whine on

all the Carr Homers now see that the rest of the league doesnt want him either...maybe you losers were wrong all along

consider yourself pwned

potisyourfriend
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9088/cap001qb2.jpg

But isn't Erin....a woman's name?

LOL, shut up..

BattleRedRaider
03-23-2007, 04:51 PM
LOL, shut up..

Yeah, I'm sorry. I saw the chance for a Kung-Pow reference, and I took it.

Brooks: From now on, I will be referred to as "Erin". NYAH-HA-HA-HA!

potisyourfriend
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM
:yikes:
I am still trying to get over the shock of these two releases. That being said WTF WTF WTF, I mean honestly now is there no way we couldn't get some draft picks even if its in next years draft. This sickens me, we let go of a pretty decent QB and a RB that .... ummm welll hmmm ok freeloaded off the TEXANS all year long. Still we could of did a package deal w/ a team. :cry2:

If by package deal you mean another beer vendor then yes probably.. But both are broken beyond repair..

shanden
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I suspect the Texans knews the odds were pretty high they would have to release Carr if they traded for Schaub first. They also knew they would have high odds of cutting Carr if they drafted Quinn, for the same reason.

Apparently they must have also felt they would lose Schaub and have no real QB option if they didn't go after him when they did (probably high odds the Falcons trade Schaub prior to the draft to get picks to move up) and did not like getting a bench sitting rookie facing that reality.

For the first time though, this is a statement that Kubiak and Smith are going to bang or bust their jobs with the personnel they want to play with and not the previous regime's. Probably neither liked the idea of staking their careers on a raw rookie or Sage's shoulders with decent potential of a bombing season next year. Instead they felt they would rather stake the season and their jobs on someone they could place their claim on in Schaub. Good luck to them on that.
Takes guts to do that. I can't blame them for want to bet their jobs on players they believe in rather then players they were stuck with from someone else's regime.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Everyone thought I was an ***** when I throught the deal Casserly gave Davis/Williams was stupid. Why wasnt I hired over Casserly???

If your reason had been that he would have a career ending knee injury, then you could rightfully pat yourself on the back.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM

Nope .... they had a bad hand .

Andrew6
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
If by package deal you mean another beer vendor then yes probably.. But both are broken beyond repair..

I guess I just figured we'd get something for him. I mean hell atleast we could of gotten 6 pack of beer or a hotdog or something.

Second Honeymoon
So long DC you will always be known as the 1 QB for the Houston Texans. Wish you and your family all the best. Good Luck with your future team.

haha what a tool. why not have a candlelight vigil in remembrance of him? what a bunch of losers these carr homers are...

well he isnt on the Texans anymore so please let the homering cease...he sucked...end of story...move on and find another choirboy to worship....

DUNTA FOR PRESIDENT

rafterticket
For one, Romo played half a season, (his first TD pass was against the TEXANS!) and still had better stats than David Carr. Everyone said it was all the O-Lines fault that Bledsoe sucked but it was just that he was the freaking Statue of Liberty and wouldn't get out of the way (like David Carr). But when Romo came in all criticism of the line stopped. It will be the same way with the Texans.

Just to be fair, it's not Carr's fault. He never had anyone to guide him, he had unrealistic expectations put on him, and being sacked 249 times doesn't help anything (not counting knockdowns). He might have been a crappy QB for the Texans but I expect him to do good for another NFL team. He is a class act and is not done.

Hey, buddy. I was just saying I don't really think much of Romo. On a Houston football site, it seemed safe to bash another teams quarterback. What I didn't expect was bashing another teams quarterback, and getting attacked as a Carr-basher.

If you read any of my posts in the last hour, they all say about the same thing - it was time for everyone to move on, let's get excited, and everyone will be happy when we start winning.

Except for this post. So, let me stress that one more time - ROMO IS OVERRATED!

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 04:55 PM
If your reason had been that he would have a career ending knee injury, then you could rightfully pat yourself on the back.

they did extend his contract a year sooner than they had to....what the hell was Casserley worried about? but he at least earned his money when healthy..

bigTEXan8
03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
as glad as i am to see carr leave out of this organization...another dumb*** move by the FO. someone mentioned earlier that even detroit got a 6th for harrington. the texans could at least have gotten a 3rd or a 4th. well...what do you expect?

HoustonFrog
03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Agree with this and Drob running his mouth off on cold pizza did not help us either.

Come on guys. You don't think he was on the block ALL off-season. They showed their cards because they had no other options and wanted him gone before the draft. There was no deal to make so they did the only thing they could. I think Minny's coach was pretty dead on and many agreed...especially for the price.

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
I just remembered that I will be drawn to sports talk radio like a moth to a flame today and can't wait to hear "Hey guys, first time long time..is there anyway we can now resign Dave as the backup for a cheaper price..thanks I'll hang up and listen.":)

I'm sure his agent can work out a deal with TGFHaircutters for spokesmodel work. They can give a 2nd rounder to Super Cuts...sorry had to one last time.

Thanks for the idea. Thanks, I'll sign off and read.:joker:

Marcus
03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Damn, Marcus... you seem pretty upset that Rick mislead you...

C'mon man! I'm not upset at all. It's just that when I heard him say that, I remarked out loud to a friend of mine, "I hope he doesn't regret saying say that". And then when I get to the MB, there's a thread jumping all over what he said.

Actually, I'm thrilled to death with what has taken place.

BattleRedRaider
03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
as glad as i am to see carr leave out of this organization...another dumb*** move by the FO. someone mentioned earlier that even detroit got a 6th for harrington. the texans could at least have gotten a 3rd or a 4th. well...what do you expect

But they didn't.

Because nobody wanted him.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I honestly believe that some people think that Rick Smith called around the NFL this morning looking to see what was available for Carr, and he found that somebody was willing to give us a _______ round draft pick...and Smith said no.

Open your eyes, if Smith counldn't trade Carr, it's only because nobody offered anything for him.

tiger06
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
hate to see two guys like these go but it's to make the team better. I hope Carr can be successful elsewhere and hope Dom can regain his health and hopefully be able to play.

Specnatz
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Since this is a June 1st cut I do not think it is really that much dead money and DW loses his roster bonus he would have gotten other wise.

cuppacoffee
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM

I can believe this.

Even though Carr wasn't successfull here it appears McNair still respects the guy. I know I do.

It was McNairs money that funded Carrs contract.

Unlike the Carr haters around here that continue to take cheap shots at a guy who has too much class to get involved in a spitting match.

Some I expected, some posters have suprised me with their comments.

The Texan organization has decided to move on, why can't the haters.

:twocents:

:fans: :gotexans1

:coffee:

Vinny
03-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Since this is a June 1st cut I do not think it is really that much dead money and DW loses his roster bonus he would have gotten other wise.
How can this be a June cut in March?

BigCraig51
03-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey, buddy. I was just saying I don't really think much of Romo. On a Houston football site, it seemed safe to bash another teams quarterback. What I didn't expect was bashing another teams quarterback, and getting attacked as a Carr-basher.

If you read any of my posts in the last hour, they all say about the same thing - it was time for everyone to move on, let's get excited, and everyone will be happy when we start winning.

Except for this post. So, let me stress that one more time - ROMO IS OVERRATED!

Hey, nothin against you for anything. Dallas bashing is accepted decorum on a Texans dis. board. Just stating the facts. Never said Romo was the savior of the Cowboys. Overrated maybe, better than Carr, definately! Someone did say that the Cowboys need a #2 quarterback and I agree. I don't like "elbow pads" Brad Johnson. David Carr would be a good backup for the Cowboys but I think he is a starter, just not for the Texans. P.S. Romo still hasn't gotten a new contract so it's a good chance the ***** Jerry Jones thinks he might be overrated too.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
How can this be a June cut in March?

I think you can have two June cuts early .

Porky
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
The majority of our fanbase totally overvalued the guy. If it was anyone else, Houston would have run him out of town on a rail years ago. But, the Golden Boy has an aura of invicibility about him, and somehow has managed to cast a spell over a bunch of people who don't know good QB play because they have never seen it. Folks, you are about to see it in 2007. Strap up, cause this ship is blasting off in 2007! :victory: :snobord: :yahoo:

Andrew6
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I wonder if this thread length will equal the David Carr is gone thread from last week. only got about 800 more posts to go. Everyone do your part.

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I am just stunned.

My head hurts.

Did David need to go? Yes.

Is this good for the team to move forward? Yes.

Its just how it was handled.

What was RS doing? Trying to sign and trade at the same time? Trade first then sign. Once we signed Schaub it was over.

IMO Robinson opening his mouth on national TV submarined any chance of getting anything for Carr.

Every team in the NFL believed RS when he said that Carr really was coming back and was the starting QB. He still had value. Then dumb dumb goes on national TV and talks about how Carr should go and everything went right out the window.

Could've had Peppers, Could've had Leinart or Young. Instead of having any of that we lose two picks and two spots in the draft and got nothing for a #1 over all pick. Plus the Texans spent over $40million.

Sorry to sound so negative.

Could a, would a, should a, right?

NRowl
03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
This move makes no sense to me. I would have cost nothing more to wait to cut Carr until after the draft (unless there is some sort of roster bonus due before then?). You never know what could happen at the draft- maybe a team that was really hoping for a QB couldn't get one like Cleveland really wants Quinn but he goes #2 to Detriot or Miami really wants Stanton but he goes before their second pick. Then we could have traded for a late 2008 draft pick even if we had to pay some of David's salary. As long as we pay equal or less than the amount of the cap hit for releasing him we would have come out ahead.

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
The majority of our fanbase totally overvalued the guy. If it was anyone else, Houston would have run him out of town on a rail years ago. But, the Golden Boy has an aura of invicibility about him, and somehow has managed to cast a spell over a bunch of people who don't know good QB play because they have never seen it. Folks, you are about to see it in 2007. Strap up, cause this ship is blasting off in 2007! :victory: :snobord: :yahoo:

I hope so.

Marcus
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Damn Porky! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're quite excited! ;)

dbspi
03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
As a life long Texans fan, its definitely a new day for all us and long time coming as well. I wished this day couldn't have come sooner. At least now I am exited about the direction this team is headed. Sometimes you just have to take the hit and move on.

On other note: I really like to see the Texans take all the dead cap hit this year so we won't have any dead money next year and if possible may be trade down in this year draft and pick up few more draft picks that we lost.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
This move makes no sense to me. I would have cost nothing more to wait to cut Carr until after the draft (unless there is some sort of roster bonus due before then?). You never know what could happen at the draft- maybe a team that was really hoping for a QB couldn't get one like Cleveland really wants Quinn but he goes #2 to Detriot or Miami really wants Stanton but he goes before their second pick. Then we could have traded for a late 2008 draft pick even if we had to pay some of David's salary. As long as we pay equal or less than the amount of the cap hit for releasing him we would have come out ahead.

After the draft the teams that needed Qbs wouldn't need them anymore cause they would've drafted one. This is what the draft is for you know.

HoustonFrog
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I can believe this.

Even though Carr wasn't successfull here it appears McNair still respects the guy. I know I do.

Unlike the Carr haters around here that continue to take cheap shots at a guy who has too much class to get involved in a spitting match.

Actually it has seemed pretty tame to me compared to what I expected. I think many people are just exasperrated with the fact that last week the board had people yelling that others had to accept he was coming back when all along that was never the plan. I don't think anyone pays attention until the "hater" word comes out.

El Tejano
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
This was a do right for David thing. I don't like it but hey we got our QB and the depth there.

QB75
03-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Insightful comment, Lucky. Agree.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 05:15 PM
The Texans were spinning Carr's game for years. That's why I called it the Emperor's New Clothing regime for a while....its like nobody would tell Bob McNair and the fans anything except what he/they wanted to hear, and let's face it, many fans backed Carr solely because of the fact that McNair supported him. Marketing was more important than what happened on the field. It's time to turn the corner and stop being an expansion team.

Marcus
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I am just stunned.

My head hurts.

What was RS doing? Trying to sign and trade at the same time? Trade first then sign. Once we signed Schaub it was over.

IMO Robinson opening his mouth on national TV submarined any chance of getting anything for Carr.

Every team in the NFL believed RS when he said that Carr really was coming back and was the starting QB. He still had value. Then dumb dumb goes on national TV and talks about how Carr should go and everything went right out the window.

Could've had Peppers, Could've had Leinart or Young. Instead of having any of that we lose two picks and two spots in the draft and got nothing for a #1 over all pick. Plus the Texans spent over $40million.

I'd call it looking back, instead of looking forward. Turn the page, and move on.

wags
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I can believe this.

:

Well said.

mexican_texan
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Okay, I'll come out and admit it...I'm Carr's neighbor's cousin's paperboy's classmate and I just supported this team through him. It's time I take my leave.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Since this is a June 1st cut I do not think it is really that much dead money

June 1st vs. non June 1st doesn't affect the total amount of dead money. It is $4 mil for Carr either way. The only difference is $4 mil all in 2007 or $2 mil in 2007 and $2 mil in 2008.

Vinny--like someone else mentioned, teams are allowed to designate two players as June 1st cuts even if they cut them earlier.

CaptainPatriot
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM

LOL Good 1:laughjump:

TreWardTxn
03-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I can believe this.

The only reason I want this to be true is so that I have less reason to believe that Rick Smith has no idea what he's doing. But as far as McNair goes: is hasn't he learned that playing favorites is hurting more than helping? He says he wants to win in Houston. You have to go about winning in the same business like manner you make money. Carr is potentially worth a 4th rnd pick if another team misses out on a targeted QB. Apparently some individuals are still bigger than the team and the pursuit of winning; and the guy gets to hurt the Texans one more time on his way out the door...

Vinny
03-23-2007, 05:24 PM
June 1st vs. non June 1st doesn't affect the total amount of dead money. It is $4 mil for Carr either way. The only difference is $4 mil all in 2007 or $2 mil in 2007 and $2 mil in 2008.

Vinny--like someone else mentioned, teams are allowed to designate two players as June 1st cuts even if they cut them earlier.Thanks, I missed that...it's been a crazy day here so far.

:joker:

NRowl
03-23-2007, 05:26 PM
After the draft the teams that needed Qbs wouldn't need them anymore cause they would've drafted one. This is what the draft is for you know.

Unless there are only two QBs that you feel are starter quality and you pick after they have been picked by other teams. That is why other teams sometimes have the ability to pick before you you know.

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I'd call it looking back, instead of looking forward. Turn the page, and move on.

Bob Seger has a song about that.

Fiddy
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
If your reason had been that he would have a career ending knee injury, then you could rightfully pat yourself on the back. I stated 'durability' as a reason for why the contract was excessive.

I'm not up on the all salary cap thing, but i'm pretty sure that we still have to pay Carr and Williams at least some money.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm not up on the all salary cap thing, but i'm pretty sure that we still have to pay Carr and Williams at least some money.

No we don't. The only issue is dead money--accounting for money already paid.

Texans Pride
03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
You overvalued him

LOL, I would have been happy with the 7th round "Mr. Irrelevant" pick rather than nothing at all!

South Texan
03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Not much of a surprise on either of them.

DD/DW is no surprise to me at all after I talked to a few medical professionals I know. Bone on bone just doesn't heal to the point where you can put the kind of strain on it that the NFL demands.

Put yourself in a GM's spot and looking for QB's. Would you want to pick up Carr's expensive contract for questionable goods? Do you think any other GM in their right mind would? So chances are pretty good Houston is going to have to eat the contract and release him. Once that happens, that's when you make a reasonable offer. I bet Carr's agent's phone is ringing off the hook right now. For whatever reasons, it didn't work out... we just need to take our lumps and move on.

Even though things didn't work out this year for David and Domanick, they are class guys and I wish them the best.

shanaman0616
03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Glad we got Schaub, Carr will be ok somewhere else, I think Bob did this to help David. We took some hits to make this happen but we are better having it done!

Now get some OL help and some DB's and we might be able to play in the NFL!

Marcus
03-23-2007, 05:34 PM
According to 610, Carr and his agent requested the release, which was granted.

WaywardTexanFan
03-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Y'all just need to build a bridge and get over it. Be excited for the upcoming season. Be a fan!!!:texan:

Maddict5
03-23-2007, 05:37 PM

sorry but we obviously couldnt...posts like this annoy me

cuppacoffee
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
The Texans were spinning Carr's game for years. That's why I called it the Emperor's New Clothing regime for a while....its like nobody would tell Bob McNair and the fans anything except what he/they wanted to hear, and let's face it, many fans backed Carr solely because of the fact that McNair supported him. Marketing was more important than what happened on the field. It's time to turn the corner and stop being an expansion team.

You are almost correct.

I supported Carr because he was the QB of my team, the Houston Texans.

I will support Schaub with the same fervor.

I don't know anything about the marketing thing.

But you are 100% correct about turning the corner and moving forward.

:gotexans1

TexanExile
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
someone mentioned earlier that even detroit got a 6th for harrington. the texans could at least have gotten a 3rd or a 4th.

That was last offseason. take a look at what Miami got for Harrington THIS offseason: nada. Cut, just like his fellow failure from that QB class today. In a market where QBs who have actually won in the past (and who have reasonable contracts) are going for second day picks, this isn't surprising.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Unless there are only two QBs that you feel are starter quality and you pick after they have been picked by other teams. That is why other teams sometimes have the ability to pick before you you know.

I'm not so sure that there are mor ethen 2 temas that thing Carr is a started, and I'll guarntee that several teams would take a QB in the 3rd of 4th before trading that pick for Carr.

There was no market for Carr...deal with it.

TD
03-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Cheer up! If people learn from their mistakes, our front office ought to be full of geniuses right about now. :)

Nawzer
03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Well it's not surprising they released him. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get to trade him but it's time to move on. Whether you agree, disagree or whatever it's a new era for our team.

edo783
03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Should be if they are making these June 1st cuts as everyone is assuming.

I've been thinking about whether they will make them June 1 cuts. If they see this as a re-tooling year and that the possibilities for FA are better next year (no clue if that might be or not), then it might make sense to eat as much of the hit as we can this year and have even more to work with next year. Just a thought.

axman40
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Adios to the Cult of Carr! See ya later!

:snobord:

Texizgreat
03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I bet David is Signed by tuesday.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I am just stunned.

My head hurts.

yeah now we can blame Dunta for Carr not being worth anything. Why dont you losers hold Carr accountable for once in your life....my freaking god

some of you guys are just plain ignorant...i blame HISD

cowboy62
03-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Bye bye David. Thanks for beating the Cowboys. Good luck and good health.

what was the score last year >>> 34-6 you ass wipe!!!

tsip
03-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I can believe this.

Some I expected, some posters have surprised me with their comments.

I don't see very many "I told you so most," kinda like when Capers was fired...however, if Carr had come back next year, his supporters would have flooded this board with any/all rhetoric they could find...it would have been ugly.

Still, I bet the Carr :homer: 's don't go away anytime soon, though I like your idea of everyone moving on....so,keep an open mind and see which side can't let it go.

Finally, like with Caper's, I don't see any Carr:homer: 's admitting they were wrong about David staying...

NRowl
03-23-2007, 06:02 PM
There was no market for Carr...deal with it.

That was kind of my point.

But that strange things can happen in a draft and it would have cost us nothing to wait and see.

fdknuckles
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Carr's gone.....who can we hate on now?:dangit:

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
According to 610, Carr and his agent requested the release, which was granted.

Here is the transcript from the call:

McNair: Hello David. We are doing what we can to trade you. Would you consider restructuring in order to make it possible?
Carr: My peepee hurts.
McNair: You know what, screw you!! Take a hike and take your gravy training dad with you. Enjoy the Arena Leagues. *click*

Nawzer
03-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Let's not forget Domanick Williams. His contributions to this team was more valuable imo than Carr's ever was. Domanick gave us a solid running game. We could rely on him having a good game week in and week out when healthy. Wish him the best.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 06:05 PM
That was kind of my point.

But that strange things can happen in a draft and it would have cost us nothing to wait and see.

The writing was on the wall. McNair just expedited it as a favor to Carr.

I am so freaking happy to have that pile of crap off our team...good riddance

ledzeppelin229
03-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Casserly is immortal in that we can always hate him. Get the mob ready! No cutting in line or you will be moved to the back.

(Is that Life of Brian? I can't remember. I know the quote isn't completely accurate but you get the idea)

Texan in Japan
03-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Will Carr fetch us a pick next year as part of the league compensation scheme?

dvs1
03-23-2007, 06:11 PM

not if you cut him.

Houston_Fanatic
03-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Carr will make a decent backup or third string quarterback. No way will he start unless the starter gets hurt if he gets signed somewhere. I am not surprised nobody in the NFL thought he was worth his contract, although there might be some interest at considerable less money. Kubiak has a solid reputation as a quarterback coach and I am sure they figured if he couldn't fix him, he wasn't worth their time to try either.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Great news for our organization getting all of these cap dollars back for 2007. We will have some money to spend with other team's cuts happening between now and June 1st to bring in more depth.

If we traded Carr his cap hit to us would have accelerated to 2007 for 4m and the team he would have been traded to would have taken on the base of his contract - the only party winning on that deal would have been Carr. McNair did right by the Texans, and Carr, by releasing him now in my opinion.

The real culprits in all of this were Casserly and Ferens. If it were not for their collective awful evaluation of talent, contract terms and zero creativity in managing Carr's extension, who knows, there may have been a longer relationship due to terms being equitable for the team.

This was a business decision made by people who do this every day. Do not confuse professional discretion in the development process (coach speak) for an actual performance review and its correlating end of year action (chopping block). It was not easy for many to see coming and as a fellow Texan fan I feel your pain, but the problem has always been Carr's contract and the value that never came to fruition. Houston had successful and passionate football before Carr and it will have it after Carr.

Today is a great day to be a Texan. :texflag:

hadaad
03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks to whoever changed the title of this thread. When I first saw it, I thought "Yeah, right. Oh, they released Mario Williams, too. Real funny."

I'll miss Davis/Williams. The man could catch out of the backfield. And he was great between the tackles. And Carr took one heck of a pummeling for this team. Sure, the return wasn't what we wanted, either during his tenure or during his exit but this way, he gets to pick his road and I'm glad McNair consented to the release. I'll take the loss of a late round pick as a way to make the road easier for a guy this franchise didn't take very good care of.

Good business decision? No. Smart football decision? No. Is that all there is to being a team owner? No.

Good on ya, Bob.

EDIT: Typo

gtexan02
03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Worst move in franchise history.

DETROIT GOT A 6TH ROUNDER FOR HARRINGTON.

HARRINGTON!?!?

Vikings get a 2nd for a blown knee Culpepper.

We have both a sucky QB and blown knee guy, and we get NOTHING for either of them.

Unless we are somehow hoping to get some supplemental picks, this is the WORST thing we could have done.

Was there ANY harm in waiting a few more weeks? Just to be nice to DC we release him early?

Im 100% sure we could have gotten at LEAST a conditional 7th in 08 or something crappy like that. We got nothing. Embarassing.

David Carr is the single reason this franchise is in the gutter

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 06:25 PM
David Carr is the single reason this franchise is in the gutter

I respectfully disagree. Casserly, Ferens, Capers and Fangio had more to do with our woeful situation, but Carr was a large byproduct of it and never displayed the expected leadership to mobilize 52 other guys to fill the vacuum for poor management from the top.

Carr was no patsy, but his contract was a debilitating bee-otch.

Janus3
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.

edit: that means i'll root for the texans, but i want david carr to do real good and prove everyone wrong for you slow people out there who can't comprehend. :rolleyes:

gtexan02
Ok I agree with you.

Im just so ticked off that we got nothing at all for Carr, who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

He was crappy for a lot of years, cost us a lot of money, and is now gone with nothing in return. It still makes me nauseous to think about

infantrycak
I've been thinking about whether they will make them June 1 cuts. If they see this as a re-tooling year and that the possibilities for FA are better next year (no clue if that might be or not), then it might make sense to eat as much of the hit as we can this year and have even more to work with next year. Just a thought.

Totally agree.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Carr will make a decent backup or third string quarterback. No way will he start unless the starter gets hurt if he gets signed somewhere. I am not surprised nobody in the NFL thought he was worth his contract, although there might be some interest at considerable less money. Kubiak has a solid reputation as a quarterback coach and I am sure they figured if he couldn't fix him, he wasn't worth their time to try either.

when a guy with Kubiak's QB tutoring skills is essentially giving up on a guy less than 12 months after being HC, it is not a good sign.

gtexan02
03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.

I hope DRob jumps the little 1 yard hitch and runs it back for a TD, OVER David Carr.

Im sorry, but all you people who claim that Carr has given up a lot for this team are truly crazy. If you want to feel sorry for someone being cut, feel sorry for other people who get paid reasonable salaries and are released just prior to retirement bonuses.

Carr has been paid millions to be a horrible QB. He should be so lucky to find another team as generous as the Texans were to him.

I hope he is finally outetd as the failure that he is

hadaad
03-23-2007, 06:29 PM

I'm sorry but that's not Die-hard. That's lay-down. Die-hard means it's hard to get you to stop being a fan. If you cheer against a team, you're not a fan of theirs. I'm sorry.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Compensatory picks are awarded for players he leave via free agency, not for players who are released.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
lol, you are a Carr fan not a die hard Texan

michaelm
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM

I choose you. :joker:

hollywood_texan
03-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I hope DRob jumps the little 1 yard hitch and runs it back for a TD, OVER David Carr.

Im sorry, but all you people who claim that Carr has given up a lot for this team are truly crazy. If you want to feel sorry for someone being cut, feel sorry for other people who get paid reasonable salaries and are released just prior to retirement bonuses.

Carr has been paid millions to be a horrible QB. He should be so lucky to find another team as generous as the Texans were to him.

I hope he is finally outetd as the failure that he is
Exactly, the Texans did him a huge favor by cutting him now!

They could have hung on to him till June when most vacancies would have all ready been filled just to stick it to him.

But, McNair doesn't run the Texans that way. Which is nice in some ways, but not necessarily good if you want to be cut-throat winner.

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 06:31 PM

I like DC as well but if he ever plays the Texans I am hoping he blows out a knee.

But I wish that for everyone the Texans play against.

Someday I am going to get me a Manning Vodoo doll.

ImSoTexas
03-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Ok I agree with you.

Im just so ticked off that we got nothing at all for Carr, who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

He was crappy for a lot of years, cost us a lot of money, and is now gone with nothing in return. It still makes me nauseous to think aboutThe fact is after Shaub was brought aboard no team was going to give the Texans anything because they new they wouldnt pay 2 QB's starters salary. If they could have delt him before that move, they may have gotten a pick.