PDA

View Full Version : Carr and Domanick Williams Released

Pages : 1 [2]

TeamSport
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Blame Carr and his high price that is on his contract. His ego is so high he doesn't wan't to lose pride and face reality by not restructuring his contract because he knows he sucks.

Ego?

Why should he give up free money?

You better start shopping around the team for a new whippin boy, Carrs gone, Now all the cry-babies are gonna have to find someone else to whine about.

gtexan02
03-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Ego?

You better start shopping around the team for a new whippin boy, Carrs gone, Now all the cry-babies are gonna have to find someone else to whine about.

How about Carr's gone, now the Texans will finaly start winning?

Who will you support now? Chd Stanley?

hadaad
03-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I like DC as well but if he ever plays the Texans I am hoping he blows out a knee.

But I wish that for everyone the Texans play against.

Someday I am going to get me a Manning Vodoo doll.

Wow. You hope he blows out a knee? Sounds like you like him.
If the Texans play head up against a team Carr's starting for, I hope the Texans win.

Bullpen Drew
03-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Holy Cow!

Carr is worthless....can you say clipboard holder?

as far as Dominack Davis Williams Jones or whatever he goes by, he is damaged goods.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

Yeah, so much no one has offered Mike Vick's water bottle for him.

He was crappy for a lot of years, cost us a lot of money, and is now gone with nothing in return. It still makes me nauseous to think about

What should be making you nauseous is the complete lack of logic in your posts. So he is crappy, but the Texans should have gotten something for him?--gotcha.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I cannot wait for the day that grown men stop calling other grown men cry babies over criticizing a positional player who never lived up to his contract. The FO, staff and owner have indeed admitted Carr's extenstion was a mistake, thereby justifying the criticism (albeit on a professional level).

michaelm
03-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Worst move in franchise history.

I deleted everything in your quote after this statement, because anything you said after this sensationalist crap has zero credibility...

Worst move in franchise history? Not gaining a 5th rounder for David Carr?
People (you) need a serious reality check.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
I cannot wait for the day that grown men stop calling other grown men cry babies over criticizing a positional player who never lived up to his contract. The FO, staff and owner have indeed admitted Carr's extenstion was a mistake, thereby justifying the criticism (albeit on a professional level).

You say you can't wait, KT, I say don't wait... because it will never happen.

Janus3
03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry but that's not Die-hard. That's lay-down. Die-hard means it's hard to get you to stop being a fan. If you cheer against a team, you're not a fan of theirs. I'm sorry.

uh when did i say i'd cheer against the texans simpleton? i said i'd root for carr and hope he shoves it down the texans throat.

DocBar
03-23-2007, 06:41 PM
You overvalued him

I don't know if Carr was overvalued by the Texans(in negotiations AND *&^%&*& contract) but I DO know the Texans handled this in a very stupid fashion. They could've done much better and this has me worried. I don't care that DW is gone, that writing's been on the wall for almost a year, but the team could've handled things differently and gotten something for Carr. Anything. Cash. Good thing we saved all that money giving draft position/picks to ATL.

Janus3
03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
lol, you are a Carr fan not a die hard Texan

learn to interpret please.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.

Thats really nice .

You're more concerned with the nay sayers than the team .

What if that loss kept the Texans out of the playoffs ?

Vinny
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.lol, you are a Carr fan not a die hard Texan
I think I interpreted this right. You would rather see Carr win than the Texans. That Sir, is no die hard fan.

gtexan02
03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah, so much no one has offered Mike Vick's water bottle for him.

What should be making you nauseous is the complete lack of logic in your posts. So he is crappy, but the Texans should have gotten something for him?--gotcha.

I deleted everything in your quote after this statement, because anything you said after this sensationalist crap has zero credibility...

Worst move in franchise history? Not gaining a 5th rounder for David Carr?
People (you) need a serious reality check.

Sheesh, rough crowd.
This is a messageboard people, not the UN.
This move happened 5 minutes ago in my mind, and I'm still very upset about it.

Heres my explanation:
Carr has been terrible as a Texan. Almost eveeryone on this messageboard can agree to that. And almost all of those people, as well as many in the NFL, agree that this is because he is shell shocked from his:
A) Originally poor offensive line
B) Poor coaching
C) Whatever else

Other NFL teams have ROUTINELY PROVEN that you can trade crappy players who have done ALMOST NOTHING (and definitely less than Carr) for at least SOME compensation.
Harrington for a 6th
Buchannon for a 2nd
Im sure there are many more, and if someone actually calls me out on this, i will do the research

So my point is, no matter how crappy Carr has been throughout our entire history, many in the league, and many of his biggest critics HERE all still believe that he needs a change of scenery and he MAY be succesful. (May=POTENTIAL, a seemingly code hot word in the NFL)

As a result, I am SHOCKED that we didn't at least get a conditional pick, or late round draft choice next year, or SOMETHING for him.

So Carr sucked and I'm sad we didnt get something for him. Thats not illogical if you follow the NFL.

Secondly, yes its clear that this isnt the worst move in franchisse history. But if you read the rest, I meant that the whole Carr era is the worst thing in franchise history. And even that was an exaggeration based on my frustration with this whole issue.

Again, this is a messageboard.

DocBar
I think I interpreted this right. You would rather see Carr win than the Texans. That Sir, is no die hard fan. HERE HERE!!!!

Janus3
I think I interpreted this right. You would rather see Carr win than the Texans. That Sir, is no die hard fan.

nah, sorry, you didn't. contrary what you seem to believe, you can indeed "shove it down someone's throat" and still lose. just a heads up guy.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't know if Carr was overvalued by the Texans(in negotiations AND *&^%&*& contract) but I DO know the Texans handled this in a very stupid fashion. They could've done much better and this has me worried. I don't care that DW is gone, that writing's been on the wall for almost a year, but the team could've handled things differently and gotten something for Carr. Anything. Cash. Good thing we saved all that money giving draft position/picks to ATL.

You have to understand value and that it takes a buyer. If the buyer does not see value in assuming the contract then you have a release. The word has been out for a while that we were entertaining offers. The contract haunted us in the past and it haunted Carr in finding a suitor at his current base. We had no leverage due to the past contractual transgressions of Casserly and Ferens.

uhcougar08
03-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks alot Mr. Negativity. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion on here, but it would be best if you just keep yours to yourself, and stop complaining. Just because the FO does not do what you want them to do, does not mean that they are wrong. Sit back, relax, and maybe, just maybe, watch as a real team is built. I bet you will complain because we are taking too long to build one. You people amaze me. Nothing satisfies you guys.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
nah, sorry, you didn't. contrary what you seem to believe, you can indeed "shove it down someone's throat" and still lose. just a heads up guy.
Well, I know you are a Carr fan now. You think that looking good and losing is "shoving it down our throat". Classic stuff and par for the Carr course.

TwinSisters
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Save your money. I already have one and it doesn't work.

Janus3
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Well, I know you are a Carr fan now. You think that looking good and losing is "shoving it down our throat". Classic stuff and par for the Carr course.

lol, wow, i've seen some pretty retarded stuff posted on this board, but wow, i'll just leave it at that. quit while you're behind guy.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Carr sucked

Instead of replying to everything you said, I thought it would be easier if I just kept the only thing you said that I agree with...

:joker:

Sorry, it was a joke I couldn't resist..!

Vinny
03-23-2007, 06:51 PM
lol, wow, i've seen some pretty retarded stuff posted on this board, but wow, i'll just leave it at that. quit while you're behind guy.
I always figured "shoving it down someone's throat" was like when Vince Young hammered the Texans in OT. If he loses that game he doesn't shove jack.....This is a league where you don't give a medal to everyone for participation. Winning is more important to me...so I assumed you meant that Carr getting revenge had something to do with beating us. My apologies for the ridiculous assumption.

uhcougar08
03-23-2007, 06:51 PM
So my point is, no matter how crappy Carr has been throughout our entire history, many in the league, and many of his biggest critics HERE all still believe that he needs a change of scenery and he MAY be succesful. (May=POTENTIAL, a seemingly code hot word in the NFL)

Who do you know in the league that would back up your opinion? For all we know, everyone in the league thinks DC is the problem, and not the O-line.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM

Well ... if Carr leads his team to 34 points but we have 35 .... then I guess it's OK .

kiwitexansfan
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I was a Carr fan.

He is now dead to me.

He couldn't even bring us an lousy 7th rounder before he left.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 06:54 PM

I always know who is losing a debate or argument when they play the "retarded" card..

phantom17
03-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Man, just got home from toys-r-us and to find out DC & DW got released, no big surprise here, but a little dissapointed that we got nuthin' for DC! All the other GMs knew the Texans FO are really BAD poker players & didn't bite. I think we're the only team that gets zilch, now other teams who needs a QB will go after DC. :elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

shanden
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I was a Carr fan.

He is now dead to me.

He couldn't even bring us an lousy 7th rounder before he left.

That was just funny to me for some reason. HA

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I just heard Michael Smith talking about this thing on Sportscenter. He talked like Rick Smith would have kept shopping Carr until the market improved. Said we were trying to get a 3rd for him.

He said that it was McNair's decision to release Carr at this point and give him a chance to make his own deal somewhere else.

Take it FWIW.

DocBar
03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
You have to understand value and that it takes a buyer. If the buyer does not see value in assuming the contract then you have a release. The word has been out for a while that we were entertaining offers. The contract haunted us in the past and it haunted Carr in finding a suitor at his current base. We had no leverage due to the past contractual transgressions of Casserly and Ferens.I understand exactly what you're saying there, and no, we don't know any details of any talks with other teams.

Thanks alot Mr. Negativity. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion on here, but it would be best if you just keep yours to yourself, and stop complaining. Just because the FO does not do what you want them to do, does not mean that they are wrong. Sit back, relax, and maybe, just maybe, watch as a real team is built. I bet you will complain because we are taking too long to build one. You people amaze me. Nothing satisfies you guys. Making drive-by postings, telling other posters to shut up and keep opinions to thereselves is a rather immature thing to do. This is a family oriented message board, so that's the extent of my retort to that particular comment. Sit back, relax and learn a little tolerance. You're gonna get high blood pressure. I've been waiting 5 long years to see a real team built, just like the rest of the fans on this MB. No, I'm NOT happy with the way the Carr Saga has played out the last year. I'll be satisfied when I see a coherent strategy formulated and executed that will build a winning team in Houston. Right now, I see massive salary cap hemorraging, mediocre FA signings, and draft position/picks traded away on an unproven commodity. Schaub may end up being the greatest thing since Earl Campbell, but as of this moment, he's not a proven NFL QB. Potential and talent don't always translate to success. See also David Carr and Ryan Leaf.

TEXANRED
Well ... if Carr leads his team to 34 points but we have 35 .... then I guess it's OK .

Thats funny. You have to make it to 30 before making it to 34. Something Carr does not do to often.

dirty steve
worse than:
-trading a collective 5 first day picks + a 4th for Jason Babin, Philip Buchanon, and Tony Hollings.
-Todd Wade's contract
-drafting Dave Ragone in the 3rd round in 2003 and never promoting him to at least the #2 QB.
-trading out of a position to take future Pro Bowler Jammal Brown plus Derrick Johnson in 2005 to get a defensive tackle who might not have even fit the defensive scheme at the time.
-Extending Carr for THREE years last year.
-never finding a legit #2 WR until last year.
-making Victor Riley the starting LT in 2005.

...i didn't even count the Gary walker extension and the ridiculous $$$ for Robaire Smith and Morlon Greenwood.

you cant get return for a possession that has absolutely no value. i dont fault the Texans for cleanly slicing Carr from the ranks.

DocBar
03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I just heard Michael Smith talking about this thing on Sportscenter. He talked like Rick Smith would have kept shopping Carr until the market improved. Said we were trying to get a 3rd for him.

He said that it was McNair's decision to release Carr at this point and give him a chance to make his own deal somewhere else.

Take it FWIW. Saw that same thing. He said McNair didn't want to hold Carr hostage because of the respect and closeness of the two.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Saw that same thing. He said McNair didn't want to hold Carr hostage because of the respect and closeness of the two.

I think Ol' Bob needs to stop getting so chummy with the workers .

He could never work at the glue factory .

shanden
03-23-2007, 07:06 PM

Well there you have it. The owner getting in the way of the GM being more effective in his job. So now we can place blame where it belongs. Owner relationship to his prodigy QB over the interest of Smith getting dsecent compensation to improve the team.

Hey its his money, but he doesn't gain the team any fans by cutting Carr so many breaks and favors over the best interest of the team.

shanden
03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I hope it is obvious at this point that some of the bad decisions planted on Kubiak and Smith are clearly the fault of McNair and not them.

The contract extension to me is clearly a demand of McNair and not Kubiak, as a condition of employment. The lack of good compensation is not Smith's call since he was hamstrung against it.

And we thought Al Davis and Jerry Jones and top team meddlers. At least Carr is gone now so that thorn in the team's side can't keep being leveraged against them from compassionate owners too close to their players.

michaelm
03-23-2007, 07:13 PM
The owner getting in the way of the GM being more effective in his job. So now we can place blame where it belongs. Owner relationship to his prodigy QB over the interest of Smith getting dsecent compensation to improve the team.

You would've saved a whole lot of time typing if you replaced this entire paragraph with the word...
Integrity

DocBar
03-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I hope it is obvious at this point that some of the bad decisions planted on Kubiak and Smith are clearly the fault of McNair and not them.

The contract extension to me is clearly a demand of McNair and not Kubiak, as a condition of employment. The lack of good compensation is not Smith's call since he was hamstrung against it.

And we thought Al Davis and Jerry Jones and top team meddlers. At least Carr is gone now so that thorn in the team's side can't keep being leveraged against them from compassionate owners too close to their players.

It was made crystal clear last year that Carr was extended because Kubes thought he could turn him around. Maybe it was just kissing up to the bosses golden boy, but it was still Kubiak's call.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:16 PM
i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.

then you are not a texans fan....you are a Carr fan

if you want Carr to come back and beat the Texans you are a Carr fan..what a tool

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Ego?

nice 4 post history.....the only people crying today are all the Carr homers. they are practically having a candlelight vigil singing Kumbaya around a fire

QB75
03-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Well there you have it. The owner getting in the way of the GM being more effective in his job. So now we can place blame where it belongs. Owner relationship to his prodigy QB over the interest of Smith getting dsecent compensation to improve the team.

Hey its his money, but he doesn't gain the team any fans by cutting Carr so many breaks and favors over the best interest of the team.

It was a classy move.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM

learn to support a team not a player that isnt even on your team

Wolf
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Best of Luck to Carr and his family

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
It was a classy move.

well he sure didnt do us any favors due to him not showing willingness to restructure his contract. At least harrington did that for the Lions...

i guess Carr conveniently forgot to read the passages about 'greed' in The Bible....how typical and hardly surprising

and to all the monday morning QBs, stop with the poker analogies...the Texans FO found out that no one wanted Carr with his current contract...few teams want him at all...he refused to renegotiate the deal to allow a possible trade....once they were told he wouldnt renegotiate, it was best to move on and McNair let Carr off the hook early as a final goodwill gesture...the fact that no one wanted to trade for Carr had NOTHING to do with us having too much at QB or us 'showing our hand'. If anything, taking Schaub off the market only increased Carr's potential value. the writing was on the wall for those who werent too blind to read it...

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
It was a classy move.

It might have been a classy move, and even something to prove to incoming players that the Texans are a good organization to play for....

but...

I do worry that the Texans put themselves in a competitive disadvantage sometimes by being too niiiiice.

That other teams will take advantage of us chumps because they know we will do the honorable thing.

It is not as though the Texans hadn't already paid Carr very handsomely over the years. And it isn't like Carr was going to renegotiate his contract, even though he is likely as a released player going to make less than he was making for the Texans.

Sigh.

(This all assumes that the deal went down this way).

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
It was a classy move.

It was a stupid move and a sign that the ownership here is miles behind it's competition in other cities regardless of how "classy" Bob is. As long as Bob is worried about looking like the classiest owner in the bunch and giving away players to do it the Texans are going to continue to look like chumps and be routinely taken advantage of by smarter GM's and owners.

Bob's a nice guy but he bought a franchise in a league full of sharks. They'll finish eating him up in no time at all at this rate.

QB75
03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Carr's gone.....who can we hate on now?:dangit:

Well, if we lose the first pre-season game, I'm sure it will be Schaub.

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 07:31 PM

I thought that "we" is Miami now.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:33 PM
It was a stupid move and a sign that the ownership here is miles behind it's competition in other cities regardless of how "classy" Bob is. As long as Bob is worried about looking like the classiest owner in the bunch and giving away players to do it the Texans are going to continue to look like chumps and be routinely taken advantage of by smarter GM's and owners.

Bob's a nice guy but he bought a franchise in a league full of sharks. They'll finish eating him up in no time at all at this rate.

Don't forget about agents......

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:35 PM

your wrong but i guarantee you one thing. the texans wont give him 5 years like they did with your unemployed hero. schaub will get 2 years to prove himself, and possibly a 3rd year as a 'do or die' year.....that is how things work in the NFL...some of you may want to wake up to reality and get out of yoru Normal Rockwell delusion

jerenns
03-23-2007, 07:36 PM
They could have easily waited a while longer and at least gotten something. Even a sixth rounder is better than nothing. Bad move by management!!!!

Wolf
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
They could have easily waited a while longer and at least gotten something. Even a sixth rounder is better than nothing. Bad move by management!!!!

I thought so too, but his contract was too much to move

Ryan
03-23-2007, 07:43 PM
wouldn't that be weird if carr was signed by the jags or something like that?

phantom17
03-23-2007, 07:47 PM
worse than:
-trading a collective 5 first day picks + a 4th for Jason Babin, Philip Buchanon, and Tony Hollings.
-Todd Wade's contract
-drafting Dave Ragone in the 3rd round in 2003 and never promoting him to at least the #2 QB.
-trading out of a position to take future Pro Bowler Jammal Brown plus Derrick Johnson in 2005 to get a defensive tackle who might not have even fit the defensive scheme at the time.
-Extending Carr for THREE years last year.
-never finding a legit #2 WR until last year.
-making Victor Riley the starting LT in 2005.

...i didn't even count the Gary walker extension and the ridiculous $$$ for Robaire Smith and Morlon Greenwood.

you cant get return for a possession that has absolutely no value. i dont fault the Texans for cleanly slicing Carr from the ranks.

SAD but true! I think we Texans fanz has suffered LONG enough! :gun: :drunk: :bomb:

tsip
03-23-2007, 07:49 PM
It was a classy move.

...yea, classy-shame Carr didn't rework his contract to help 'everybody'...guess there is a line there that doesn't get crossed for personal reasons

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 07:51 PM

dude. no one wanted him through a trade. he was making over 6 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR!! no one is bringing in QB competition much less a backup QB for that much money. doesnt everyone understand that? is it that difficult? cmon now.

carr and his agent declined to renegotiate thus any trade was totally out of the question...any team that wanted him only had to wait till June 1st at the latest to pick him up FOR NO DRAFT PICKS AND FOR LESS THAN HALF THE MONEY!!

geez. i know not all fans understand how NFL trades and the salary caps work, but please at least understand that you dont pay for something you can get for free. understanding that simple business principle will make you sound a lot less stupid and save us all a lot of time.

Lucky
03-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Can you give an example of a player the Texans gave away? I can't think of one. Carr's contract was unmoveable. If that's not obvious to some, it will be crystal clear when David signs on with another team for less than he would have made with the Texans.

I'm not going to lead cheers for every move McNair, Kubiak, Smith have made. But, you're way off on this one.

Marcus
03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
I like DC as well but if he ever plays the Texans I am hoping he blows out a knee.

But I wish that for everyone the Texans play against.

That's terrible. I wouldn't wish a blown out knee on DC or anyone else . . . . well . . except VY maybe.:hide:

QB75
03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
...yea, classy-shame Carr didn't rework his contract to help 'everybody'...guess there is a line there that doesn't get crossed for personal reasons

He was willing to stay and honor the contract. It was the organization that decided to make the change.

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Can you give an example of a player the Texans gave away? I can't think of one. Carr's contract was unmoveable. If that's not obvious to some, it will be crystal clear when David signs on with another team for less than he would have made with the Texans.

I'm not going to lead cheers for every move McNair, Kubiak, Smith have made. But, you're way off on this one.

Dave Ragone. We were going to let him have a chance to make it for another team because he didn't fit the system here. Didn't the team he went to get a draft pick for him?

Maybe Carr's contract was unmoveable, but given the crazy money out there these days, it might have been worth holding him until the draft.

aproberts03
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
we should of least traded him for a late round pick then not getting anything for him...i don't know what they were thinking, since it seems like a lot of teams are interested in him

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
He was willing to stay and honor the contract. It was the organization that decided to make the change.

do you even believe half of what comes out of your mouth? it was greed. good ole fashioned greed.....any claim otherwise is just drivel and spin.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Don't play Carr as a kid from Fresno wandering the big streets of Houston without an agent. He understands the business, the cap and the impact of the signing bonuses. You are doing him no favors taking up for him with that line of "honor" when other players all around the league, and on his team, restructure. Hulk gave us eyes to this a week ago when he said that Carr and his agent were not going to restructure.

DocBar
03-23-2007, 08:01 PM

I'm not going to lead cheers for every move McNair, Kubiak, Smith have made. But, you're way off on this one. Jamie Sharper, Aaron Glenn, Jay Foreman. The Texans made the public announcement that these 3 were free to seek a trade which means, in NFL speak, just sit tight and we'll release these guys, so please don't call us anymore.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Don't play Carr as a kid from Fresno wandering the big streets of Houston without an agent. He understands the business, the cap and the impact of the signing bonuses. You are doing him no favors taking up for him with that line of "honor" when other players all around the league, and on his team, restructure. Hulk gave us eyes to this a week ago when he said that Carr and his agent were not going to restructure.

yup hulk said that restructuring was totally out of the question and that made a trade nigh impossible. No one in the NFL wants that contract as it is currently written. Most teams were probably also hesitant to add years to any reworked contract as well. Carr is not as highly viewed around the league as some of the less informed think. He has massive holes in his game and huge fundamental flaws. Will someone think they can turn him around? its possible, but dont count on it.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Dave Ragone. We were going to let him have a chance to make it for another team because he didn't fit the system here. Didn't the team he went to get a draft pick for him?

Maybe Carr's contract was unmoveable, but given the crazy money out there these days, it might have been worth holding him until the draft.

Ther are so many possibilties on why it played out like this with the relationship of McNair and Carr being the obvious one being played here. I would like to find out who Carr's agent represents on the Texans currently as that may have had an impact as well. This type of sever can hurt relationships and future negotiations/leverage when dealing with the soft underbelly of the sports world. Just thinking out loud.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Ther are so many possibilties on why it played out like this with the relationship of McNair and Carr being the obvious one being played here. I would like to find out who Carr's agent represents on the Texans currently as that may have had an impact as well. This type of sever can hurt relationships and future negotiations/leverage when dealing with the soft underbelly of the sports world. Just thinking out loud.

that is an aspect I hadn't thought of yet.

Double Barrel
03-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Carr's gone.....who can we hate on now?:dangit:

The Tennessee Titans!!!!!!!!!!!

IF Carr was released today because our owner wanted to honor his relationship with the QB, then yeah, we still have a noob owner making rookie mistakes. It's a cut-throat business and winners do what it takes to win, which means getting what you can in spite of your personal relationships.

However, I'm more inclined to think that there simply wasn't a market for DC, and no team has offered diddly squat for us to make a deal.

I wish DC the best, but it's time to move onward and upward. August 2007 can't come soon enough for me!!

Lucky
03-23-2007, 08:08 PM
The Texans released Ragone, who was signed by the Bengals, who traded him to the Rams for a 7th round selection, conditional on Ragone making the opening day roster. He didn't, and the Bengals got bupkis.

NFL teams release players from their contracts all the time. Check the wire if you don't believe me. It's usually because their salaries don't match their performance. That's the same here as it is everywhere else.

CarrIsFine
03-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Typical, just keep blaming Carr for everything. Let's not blame the QB guru that endorsed him, paid him and dumped him. Let's not blame the the leader of one of the leagues worst defenses the last two years. Let's not blame the owner, who has such deep pockets, his judgement is often clouded.

Hopefully your new crush of a QB will have a decent team around him. Maybe Carr will now get that chance after six years.

QB75
03-23-2007, 08:14 PM

If an organization is going to control where a player under contract is going to play (either remaining with the current organization or trading him to another team) then that organization should have to honor the contract. It wouldn't be fair for an organization to be able to have the flexibility to both mandate a restructuring and steer a player to a specific organization where he may not want to go.

The player justifiably has the leverage to either have his contract honored with a trade, or to renegotiate with the team of his choice.

Lucky
03-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Jamie Sharper, Aaron Glenn, Jay Foreman.
So you're suggesting that the Texans could have received draft choices for these players? With their salaries? Not to be insulting, but that is an absolutely absurd assertion.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Typical, just keep blaming Carr for everything. Let's not blame the QB guru that endorsed him, paid him and dumped him. Let's not blame the the leader of one of the leagues worst defenses the last two years. Let's not blame the owner, who has such deep pockets, his judgement is often clouded.

Hopefully your new crush of a QB will have a decent team around him. Maybe Carr will now get that chance after six years.

If loving David Carr is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
If an organization is going to control where a player under contract is going to play (either remaining with the current organization or trading him to another team) then that organization should have to honor the contract. It wouldn't be fair for an organization to be able to have the flexibility to both mandate a restructuring and steer a player to a specific organization where he may not want to go.

The player justifiably has the leverage to either have his contract honored with a trade, or to renegotiate with the team of his choice.

Unfortunately that is not the case and contracts are structured as such since signing bonuses rule the cap era. It has been tacitly done since the salary cap was instituted. Honor and cap are not peas and carrots.

ATX
Best part about Carr being released is that any talk about him moves to the NFL section and out of the Bullpen, where we can talk about the Texans.

infantrycak
Jamie Sharper, Aaron Glenn, Jay Foreman. The Texans made the public announcement that these 3 were free to seek a trade which means, in NFL speak, just sit tight and we'll release these guys, so please don't call us anymore.

That's crap. Teams let folks seek a trade every year. If they have value, someone will trade for them. If they don't, they are retained or released. Aaron Glenn was never even on the trade block--he asked to be released. Sharper and Foreman who have played a collective what 4 games in the last two years, had no trade value.

TC--Ragone was "traded" for a conditional 7th which didn't turn into anything.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:19 PM

translation: David is making a big money grab because he knows that people arent exactly breaking down doors to grab him. Welcome to reality Carr (and his homers)

Topher
03-23-2007, 08:19 PM
If loving David Carr is wrong then I don't want to be right.

I think I am in love with you!:victory:

HoustonFan
03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I think Carr will get picked up by another team. I wish him well. I fell bad for DW though, was in denial last season about his injury, but his career may be over.

Lucky
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately that is not the case and contracts are structured as such since signing bonuses rule the cap era. It has been tacitly done since the salary cap was instituted.

That's true, but it's when the restructured deal favors the player (like when Moulds got a new deal from the Texans). If a player can't make a favorable deal with a team trading for him, he won't restructure for the hell of it.

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:25 PM

I sure hope David gets a really good chance away from the Texans.

I hope the team/managment doesn't screw over Matt too. Get him a decent O-line or we're in for a replay.

Texans Pride
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
uh when did i say i'd cheer against the texans simpleton? i said i'd root for carr and hope he shoves it down the texans throat.

Ok, I am a pretty educated person, and to me, this sounds as if you are cheering against the Texans.

If several of us think this, then perhaps you are not conveying your true message very well.

Why are you resorting to calling names like "simpleton"? I'm sure we can all debate without the hate. :grouphug:

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 08:27 PM
The Texans released Ragone, who was signed by the Bengals, who traded him to the Rams for a 7th round selection, conditional on Ragone making the opening day roster. He didn't, and the Bengals got bupkis.

NFL teams release players from their contracts all the time. Check the wire if you don't believe me. It's usually because their salaries don't match their performance. That's the same here as it is everywhere else.

I realize it happens all the time.

QBs can be different though because they are like pitchers. Whatever you think of him, his reputation nationally wasn't as bad as it was here: not too many guys of Carr's durability, starts, and questions about who was around him, age.

I would have like to have a bit more hard ball.

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Exactly. A team shouldn't have control over the player's restructuring of his salary AND decide where he is going to go.

DocBar
03-23-2007, 08:32 PM
So you're suggesting that the Texans could have received draft choices for these players? With their salaries? Not to be insulting, but that is an absolutely absurd assertion.

That's crap. Teams let folks seek a trade every year. If they have value, someone will trade for them. If they don't, they are retained or released. Aaron Glenn was never even on the trade block--he asked to be released. Sharper and Foreman who have played a collective what 4 games in the last two years, had no trade value.

TC--Ragone was "traded" for a conditional 7th which didn't turn into anything. There sure could've been picks(never said HIGH picks) for Sharper and Glenn. Players ARE released every year, but not withe the resumes of Sharper or Glenn. Players aren't always released just because they ask for it. Like TC has posted a couple of time...sometimes the Texans are way to nice.
Sharper getting injured was just plain bad luck. The guy was a pretty good LB for us.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Exactly. A team shouldn't have control over the player's restructuring of his salary AND decide where he is going to go.

A player understands the ramifications of taking money upfront and having a heavily back loaded contract.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:34 PM

yup, and they dont. they can ask and most of the time the player isnt so greedy. just ask pennington and harrington, both of whom have restructured in order to keep their job/have a shot at a job. carr showed those strong 'christian values' real well by going the greedy route and not helping out the team that showed 5 years of patience and set his children/family up for life. but whatever, he is gone and will be lucky to ever start another NFL game...while we have a franchise on the upswing and new direction at QB.

sucks to be a carr fan right about now....great to be a texans fan

GO TEXANS

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:36 PM
A player understands the ramifications of taking money upfront and having a heavily back loaded contract.

I still don't agree.

Thanks for deleting that post. It was pretty nasty. Sorry. I just couldn't resist. :)

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 08:37 PM

What does an example of a player the Texans gave away have to do with this? I'm talking about David Carr and the idea that Bob McNair made the call to release him now so that he could go find a deal on his own.

If that was indeed the case then Bob chose to give David the time to find a team interested in him instead of choosing to give the Texans as much time as possible to find a potential trade partner. Maybe the contract is impossible to move but we'll never know if they could have found a draft day suitor to the Texans and David Carrs liking now. any chance of that happening (however small) is gone but at least Bob and David are good. That's a comfort.

I don't think I'm way off on this one at all. I think that Bob McNair had a terribly unrealistic vision of David Carr and that the way he viewed him (and continues to view him) has hurt his football team.

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I think Carr will get picked up by another team. I wish him well. I fell bad for DW though, was in denial last season about his injury, but his career may be over.

I'm sure he'll get picked up.

I hope this is a new day for both the Texans and David.

We need some winning around here.

Lucky
03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I would have like to have a bit more hard ball.

Here is what is seemingly lost on the segment of fans that think the Texans should have held out for a trade. Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually? Why?

Sure, there are teams that would like to pickup David. Not for the contract he's carrying. And they aren't going to throw away draft picks, that's the lifeblood of NFL teams. Just wait the Texans out. And if they don't pickup Carr, they'll just look at Culpepper or Trent Green or whatever QB that's on the outs with their current club. There is no logical reason for a team to trade for David Carr.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:39 PM

aint that the truth....

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 08:40 PM

I agree with half of that. I hope this is a new day for the Texans because we need some winning around here. I don't really have an opinion on David Carr at this point because he's not on the football team that I follow.

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Lucky;639095] Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually. Why? QUOTE]

They wouldn't, maybe Casserly would...lol...

Any teams with interest in David know all they have to do is wait...

Why give up valuable pics when you know that David will be cut anyway?

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with half of that. I hope this is a new day for the Texans because we need some winning around here. I don't really have an opinion on David Carr at this point because he's not on the football team that I follow.

i actually hope Carr does get signed somewhere so then some of his zealots on this forum will migrate to his new team's forums sooner rather than later

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Understandably so. I've followed David's career for many years and will continue to do so. I wish him well.

I also wish for the Texans to not only show improvement, but to become a kick a** team.

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Here is what is seemingly lost on the segment of fans that think the Texans should have held out for a trade. Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually? Why?

Sure, there are teams that would like to pickup David. Not for the contract he's carrying. And they aren't going to throw away draft picks, that's the lifeblood of NFL teams. Just wait the Texans out. And if they don't pickup Carr, they'll just look at Culpepper or Trent Green or whatever QB that's on the outs with their current club. There is no logical reason for a team to trade for David Carr.

Not even a 5? Not even a 6? Not even if he's willing to restructure his deal to go to that team?

It's not lost on me that it's terribly unlikely to happen. I just think that it wouldn't have hurt anyone to continue to see what happens between now and the draft. Stranger things have happened. Somebody gave the Lions a pick for Harrington even though they knew he wasn't going to be a Lion the next year. Somebody always does something stupid in the NFL when you least expect it. Usually that somebody is the Texans but from time to time other teams do odd things as well. What's the harm in waiting another month to see if you can get anything (even a future 5 or 6) for David Carr?

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Lucky;639095] Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually. Why? QUOTE]

They wouldn't, maybe Casserly would...lol...

Any teams with interest in David know all they have to do is wait...

Why give up valuable pics when you know that David will be cut anyway?

I think the Carr-itis is working its way out of your body. You are starting to make more sense :) by November you wont even remember who our last QB was :)

marv800
03-23-2007, 08:46 PM
dont u people think that the FO tried to get a draft pick for him?!!?! I mean jeeze, get a grip.

I think this just shows that there really isnt much demand for David, that no one else really thinks he's very talented. Just be glad its done, and we can monve on.

NFLforher
03-23-2007, 08:47 PM
dont u people think that the FO tried to get a draft pick for him?!!?! I mean jeeze, get a grip.

I think this just shows that there really isnt much demand for David, that no one else really thinks he's very talented. Just be glad its done, and we can monve on.

It's his contract. There is interest. :lightbulb:

Why give up a pick when you know the guy's not in the team's plans?

Double Barrel
03-23-2007, 08:48 PM

It is rather humorous to see someone that can't seem to create a coherent post representing their opinion call someone else a 'simpleton'. :victory:

For the record, I thought that your earlier post was about rooting for David Carr over the Houston Texans, as well.

Clarity in presentation is a rather simple concept. The English language is well suited for that purpose.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Not even a 5? Not even a 6? Not even if he's willing to restructure his deal to go to that team?

It's not lost on me that it's terribly unlikely to happen. I just think that it wouldn't have hurt anyone to continue to see what happens between now and the draft. Stranger things have happened. Somebody gave the Lions a pick for Harrington even though they knew he wasn't going to be a Lion the next year. Somebody always does something stupid in the NFL when you least expect it. Usually that somebody is the Texans but from time to time other teams do odd things as well. What's the harm in waiting another month to see if you can get anything (even a future 5 or 6) for David Carr?

you cant trade a player if there is no market for said player. pretty simple.

i am with you on just waiting till last minute, but I think they exhausted all options and just wanted to move on. Why keep him around as a possible distraction. bottom line is that he was overvalued by this franchise for 5 years...the rest of the NFL is not as naive

TD
03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
What's the harm in waiting another month to see if you can get anything (even a future 5 or 6) for David Carr?

That's the $0.50 question. There was zero down side to waiting.

I guess McNair is just a nice guy...unfortunately we all know the saying about nice guys.

Wolf
03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
It is rather humorous to see someone that can't seem to create a coherent post representing their opinion call someone else a 'simpleton'. :victory:

For the record, I thought that your earlier post was about rooting for David Carr over the Houston Texans, as well.

Clarity in presentation is a rather simple concept. The English language is well suited for that purpose.

hey DB I wondering about an answer here ;)
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=638900&postcount=65

Lucky
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Not even if he's willing to restructure his deal to go to that team?

If there were multiple teams looking at Carr, and David would be willing to rework his deal with either team, then the Texans would have some leverage to make a trade. That's what happened with Harrington last season. That's what supposedly happened with Eric Moulds last season.

But, don't you think that Rick Smith has been looking to create that scenario? It's not his fault, the deal is not out there. The Texans could hold on to Carr for a phantom trade, and lock him out of the facility. If he gets injured, it would be non-football related. That's what Tennessee did with McNair last season. It's a crap move by a minor league organization. Is that what you want the Texans to be?

CoachJim
03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I guess the flip-side of all this is the very real possibility that had we cut Carr 1st THEN tried to trade for/sign Matt Schaub, the Falcons coulda jacked up the askin price seein as we were minus 1 starting QB. Can you imagine giving up MORE than we did to aquire MSchaub?

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I've told you what I wanted them to do and there's nothing "crappy" about it. I'll be damned if I'm going to continue an argument about, essentially "David Carr" on the day I'm celebrating his departure. Suffice to say that I think you're wrong and I understand you feel the same way about me on this. Next thread please....

CoachJim
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
"Celebrating" his departure? Dude, thats sad.

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
No it's not. I think my team (not the one I own obviously, the one I am a fan of) improved by replacing an ineffective QB. There's nothing wrong with "celebrating" your team getting better. I don't hate David Carr. I've never hated David Carr. I don't wish him ill or want him dead or dislike his family. I have no vested interest in anything bad happening to him for the rest of his days on this planet. I just don't want him to be the QB of the football team I am following. I don't think he's very good at it.

BattleRedGuy
03-23-2007, 09:17 PM

Have to agree with this. You can create some buzz and a team with interest will give up the pick to avoid a free agent bidding war. There apparently won't be much of a war.

Oh well. Best of luck to DC. As for DW, it shows how quickly things can change in life.

jmlockett
03-23-2007, 09:21 PM
In all honesty I think that although that we didnt get anything for him. I think that we did right by him. Even though he didn't live upto his potential did we as a team? Yes it is a time to rejoice in a new strategy and people not rolling the problems off to next yr. However, David did hang there when the chips were down. He could've just retired after so many hits. My hat is off to both our team and David for what they gave us the fans: A team to call our own no matter how bad it was, To David for hanging in there and not quitting and walking out after being the leagues tackling dummy. I am not a dc basher or a 100% dc supporter. I am a true very thankful fan of our team.

David if you get to read this thanks for trying. Good luck and may the Good Lord above protect and guide you and yours

cuppacoffee
03-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Whoa!

I'm a die hard fan too, and I've been a Carr supporter through thick and thin on this board.

I wish him well, but not against the Texans.

That's just wrong. As wrong as the tu fans who supported the titans qb against the Texans. (insert smilie of low down dirty dogs )

:coffee:

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM

We went from Bud Adams to Bob McNair.

One extreme to the other.

Maddict5
03-23-2007, 10:10 PM
prob a dumb question but just making sure....obviously we wont get a compensatory pick in next yrs draft for either DC or DD..right?

bigcarlos
03-23-2007, 10:13 PM
:elmo: :yahoo: :dance2:

Lucky
03-23-2007, 10:15 PM
...obviously we wont get a compensatory pick in next yrs draft for either DC or DD..right?
You are correct, sir.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 10:16 PM
prob a dumb question but just making sure....obviously we wont get a compensatory pick in next yrs draft for either DC or DD..right?

Since we cut them all we get is the cap space.

ledzeppelin229
03-23-2007, 10:42 PM
How long did it it take for you to figure that part out?

Come on Elle...Teacher's motto...

"The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked"

...or whatever horse crap line it was that they always fed us to encourage the raising of hands...

michaelm
03-23-2007, 10:43 PM
How long did it it take for you to figure that part out?

You feeling a bit ornery tonight, Elle?

QB75
03-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I thought that "we" is Miami now.

Miami would be great.

Heath Shuler
03-23-2007, 11:12 PM

How does something like that work:
Yeah Texans!!!!!! Iím so happy the other team is sticking it down our throats!!!!!!!!! I hope we lose by 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Miami would be great.

Get a mojito while you're their .

Porky
03-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Miami would be great.

Miami is going with Trent Green, who sucks at this point, but is still better than Carrbage. He won't even start next yr imo. Nobody thinks this guy is a starter. If he starts, it's a desperation move only and won't last.

And to the person who said we shouldn't celebrate, I am right now!

Celebrate, celebrate, celebrate.

It's a celebration times three!!

:shots: :perfect10: :toast2: :whoohoo:

Porky
03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah Texans!!!!!! Iím so happy the other team is sticking it down our throats!!!!!!!!! I hope we lose by 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the 3 next to Janus represents the intelligence quotient.

Wolf
03-23-2007, 11:19 PM

only if we are gunning for the #1 pick i the draft :joker:

mexican_texan
03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm not celebrating...while I may not like Carr, I just haven't felt comfortable knowing how different our team is. It should be a good thing, but not when I'm not certain the change is good. Sure, Shaub is better than Carr and I'm sure he'll make the Pro Bowl before 2010, but we gave up a lot for him, I'm just happy we didn't overpay his contract. I'll be excited when our team really upgrades through the draft.

Porky
03-23-2007, 11:25 PM
only if we are gunning for the #1 pick i the draft :joker:

Those days are over my friend. There is a new sheriff in town. This rocket ship is taking off Sept 2007. Be ready, strap in, and get ready to take off!

:snobord: :bguitar:

It's amazing what a couple of days will do for a depressed piggy. :wow:

gtexan02
03-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't get why anyone is arguing this.

What could possibly be the downside to holding on to Carr until after the draft? The draft is less than a month away. He would still have plenty of time to find a team if we couldn't find anyone to trade with.

lets say there is a 1% chance of getting a conditional 7th pick in 08 for Carr. Isn't it worth it to hold on to Carr and at least see? This does nothing for the Texans and everything for Carr. Im sorry but it was stupid move done for personal reasons and I dont like that

Heath Shuler
03-23-2007, 11:32 PM
I was hoping we would get something; hell anything for Carr, but the true value of anything is what another person is willing to pay for it. I agree that we should take all of the cap hit this season and not spread it out. Take our lumps NOW and build for the future. Today is a great day and I think tomorrow will be better. I am more optimistic now than I have been in a very long time.

Wolf
03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Those days are over my friend. There is a new sheriff in town. This rocket ship is taking off Sept 2007. Be ready, strap in, and get ready to take off!

:snobord: :bguitar:

I hear ya :yahoo:

mexican_texan
03-23-2007, 11:34 PM
The FO released Carr out of respect for him. He'll get more opportunities from being a FA than from being on the trade block.

Heath Shuler
03-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Maybe. Or the number of personalities it would take to make his scenario work.

Shockermgd
i dont agree with this at all. After all shwaub is unproven 161 attempts 84 compleations? 6td and 6ints and only 2 starts is that worth 48 mill? i think not. and Ahman Green... kinda diggin in the shallow end of the pool arent we. after all he is getting old and he hasnt proven to me that hes back to 100% after injury.... hes not worth the 26 mill they dropped on him. trust me in from wisconsin and i know he hasnt looked that good in a few years. they should have at least seen what DD aka DW now had before cutting him at least let him try and win a roster spot if not then cut him. they should have spent more time fixing this row of **** they call and o-line insted of cutting all they have. And i would just like to remind all you people that said carr sucked last year that he had one of the highest passer ratings last year. maybe you should check into your football knowlege a little more before you start talking out your asses. I will tell you this the apointing of mike sherman as offensive corrdinator is the only GREEN is here and the only reason this team will stay the same for years to come. look at GREEN BAY when Sherman was there they never got better just stayed the same went to playoffs and lost. untill finaly they just couldnt get it done anymore with the old players they had. now finaly someone who knows how to coach is starting to bring up the young guys and not keep the old guy that holmgren had around. I like kubiak i think hes a good coach but i think he needs some else to take advice from rather than sherman.

now i hope im wrong but some how i doubt it.....

GO TEXANS!

still big fan

Shocker

gtexan02
The FO released Carr out of respect for him. He'll get more opportunities from being a FA than from being on the trade block.

Exactly, and thats something I dont like. H ewould have had plenty of time if we had waited unitl post draft. 1 day is not enough

michaelm
03-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Just ask Ned Beatty...

2BCF
03-23-2007, 11:49 PM
McKinney said it best, "it's a business and you can expect to get fired if you don't produce results".

My take:
Carr was a bust.
Shame on us(FO) for not pulling the plug last year.
Once we start winning, these miserable Carr years will be nothing more than a bad dream.

TexanBronco
03-24-2007, 12:00 AM
I was hoping we would get something; hell anything for Carr, but the true value of anything is what another person is willing to pay for it. I agree that we should take all of the cap hit this season and not spread it out. Take our lumps NOW and build for the future. Today is a great day and I think tomorrow will be better. I am more optimistic now than I have been in a very long time.

Ya same here but everyone knew we had to get rid of him so it would be smart on there side to just wait to we release him and as for DW im sure well all saw this one coming sooner then later

hadaad
03-24-2007, 12:01 AM

And how exactly would he shove it down the Texans throat in such a way that you would be happy for both him and the Texans? I don't understand that. Because if there's a way for him to shove it down the Texans' throat without the Texans coming out badly, I don't see it.

2BCF
03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
That would be quite a feat for him to accomplish from the other team's bench. :)

NFLforher
03-24-2007, 12:24 AM

And the pig represents what?

hadaad
03-24-2007, 12:27 AM
That would be quite a feat for him to accomplish from the other team's bench. :)

Surely you've seen Any Given Sunday. You never know what could happen.

GP
03-24-2007, 12:35 AM
At least the Texans have some cash to sign another FA or two before the draft.

I wouldnt be surprised if Carr didn't want to renegotiate and made any trade hit a wall. Teams must feel they don't mind a bidding war for him either.

Exactly. Carr probably held this up. Then again, maybe he didn't.

But IF hed did...I take back everything nice I've said to Hulk75 and about David. If it becomes proven that David held this up and would not re-work his contract so we could trade for him...and then he signs with a team that would have worked with us...then I will actively root for David to get smacked down hard on Sundays.

David's gone. And if he did us wrong, to spite us, then I will cheer every one of his NEXT 249 sacks.

So help me, if he held this up--just to spite us, then I will relish every wrong turn and misfortune of his career.

hadaad
03-24-2007, 12:41 AM

But IF hed did...I take back everything nice I've said to Hulk75 and about David. If it becomes proven that David held this up and would not re-work his contract so we could trade for him...and then he signs with a team that would have worked with us...then I will actively root for David to get smacked down hard on Sundays.

David's gone. And if he did us wrong, to spite us, then I will cheer every one of his NEXT 249 sacks.

So help me, if he held this up--just to spite us, then I will relish every wrong turn and misfortune of his career.

Somehow, I find this theory hard to get behind.

You never know but I just don't credit it.

Napa Auto Parts
03-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Carr and Domanick Williams Released

Oh Sweet thank you sweet Baby jesus Or how our freinds in the South say Jeeeeeesssssuuuuuuuuuuussssssss

Lucky
03-24-2007, 12:58 AM
If it becomes proven that David held this up and would not re-work his contract so we could trade for him...and then he signs with a team that would have worked with us...
Yes, I'm certain there was a team out there that wanted to give up a draft choice for Carr, but David wouldn't let them. Probably went like this:

Phantom team GM: Dave, we're ready to give the Texans a choice draft pick and name you our starter.
Dave: Hold on, dude. I don't want the Texans to get a pick for me. That would be uncool.
Phantom team GM: But Dave, it's just a measly draft pick. The NFL gives us 7 every year. It's not that big of a deal.
Dave: No way, man. Just wait until they cut my arse, and I'll sign with you guys. Use that pick on someone who will play golf with me. Kubiak never played golf with me.
Phantom team GM: Whatever you say, Super Dave. You're the man.

Yep, that's probably how it went down.

2BCF
03-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Yes, I'm certain there was a team out there that wanted to give up a draft choice for Carr, but David wouldn't let them. Probably went like this:

Phantom team GM: Dave, we're ready to give the Texans a choice draft pick and name you our starter.
Dave: Hold on, dude. I don't want the Texans to get a pick for me. That would be uncool.
Phantom team GM: But Dave, it's just a measly draft pick. The NFL gives us 7 every year. It's not that big of a deal.
Dave: No way, man. Just wait until they cut my arse, and I'll sign with you guys. Use that pick on someone who will play golf with me. Kubiak never played golf with me.

LOL

SamuraiSword
03-24-2007, 02:12 AM

I agree with your statement. I wouldn't put it past David and not restructure his contract just to help us out.

caspian
03-24-2007, 02:16 AM
I swear, the Texans decision-making has got to be the most stupid to ever grace the league. It's like they want us to not be fans...damn.

Janus3
03-24-2007, 02:24 AM
I always figured "shoving it down someone's throat" was like when Vince Young hammered the Texans in OT. If he loses that game he doesn't shove jack.....This is a league where you don't give a medal to everyone for participation. Winning is more important to me...so I assumed you meant that Carr getting revenge had something to do with beating us. My apologies for the ridiculous assumption.

apology accepted. we all make mistakes.

Janus3
03-24-2007, 02:29 AM

is it really that hard guys? seriously.

AustinJB
03-24-2007, 02:34 AM
I swear, the Texans decision-making has got to be the most stupid to ever grace the league. It's like they want us to not be fans...damn.

Actually, the decision-making is finally starting to make sense. Cut all the dead weight and non-producers on the team and sign players that at least have a little promise. Carr never was and never will be anything better than an average QB.

The decision-making was bad when we gave Carr a huge salary and extension last year as a reward for average play.

Janus3
03-24-2007, 02:38 AM

no like this. "woohoo texans won, but damn david carr went off, we're all morons for thinking he was no good."

Janus3
03-24-2007, 02:42 AM
And how exactly would he shove it down the Texans throat in such a way that you would be happy for both him and the Texans? I don't understand that. Because if there's a way for him to shove it down the Texans' throat without the Texans coming out badly, I don't see it.

wow. how about this. texans win 41-35 david carr goes 31-42 398 yards and 5 td's.

texans come out with a win and carr "shoved it down their throats."

is it really that hard guys?

:confused:

michaelm
03-24-2007, 02:42 AM
no like this. "woohoo texans won, but damn david carr went off, we're all morons for thinking he was no good."

But we were pretty smart to let him go, because he obviously still can't win a game.

Oh yeah... woohoo.

Janus3
03-24-2007, 02:44 AM
But we were pretty smart to let him go, because he obviously still can't win a game.

Oh yeah... woohoo.

:rolleyes:

a qb with those stats will never win a game. i agree.

ComstockLode
03-24-2007, 03:07 AM
The texans pass on reggie bush, vince young, matt leinart, and jay cutler because we have david carr and dominick davis(his name at the time). Both players have been cut after one year.

BSofA04
03-24-2007, 03:27 AM
The texans pass on reggie bush, vince young, matt leinart, and jay cutler because we have david carr and dominick davis(his name at the time). Both players have been cut after one year.

This just in!!!! :sarcasm:

BSofA04
03-24-2007, 03:28 AM

Amen brother. I hope Carr gets what he deserves.

The Pencil Neck
03-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Ok I agree with you.

Im just so ticked off that we got nothing at all for Carr, who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

He was crappy for a lot of years, cost us a lot of money, and is now gone with nothing in return. It still makes me nauseous to think about

His contract was too big to trade and I think McNair asked for him to be released to be nice to him. I think if it was up to Smith, we would have held on to him to the last possible minute. Just in case. BUT... I have no proof for this belief.

shanden
03-24-2007, 03:43 AM
I for one am relieved the Texans have finally cut loose from the trap they ensnared themselves in some time ago and that the 800lb gorilla in the room is gone. It is best for all parties.

The Texans have been substantially wiser under Smith on avoiding contracts like was done with the first pick of 2002 to anyone, with less guarantees and easier back out clauses after a few years. And they certainly will not hold up on a pedistal as above reproach for so many years before cutting losses (or atleast they shouldnt). It set the team back and also was lousy for team morale to have poor accountability for poor performance and poor accounting measures to lock an organization down.

Now David has total accountability and will not be handled with kid gloves where ever he plays, and the Texans swallowed a huge pill on player management and development.

I feel for other teams that are in the same predicament. Atlanta is still snagged in a snare trap of their own making. Be thankful Carr only cost us 35million and 5 years. Atlanta has a 100million dollar load to bear that is clearly weighing the team down. It would be one thing if Manning or Brady were getting 100million (who are clearly future hall of fame players), but Vick and the Falcons have trapped themselves with each other. No one could possibly want Vick's contract, and they can't possibly take such a huge cap hit to cut him. The players know Vick is untouchable while they are constantly the scapegoats (wait I know this storyline sounds familiar for some reason).

Janus3
03-24-2007, 03:44 AM

hmm, i was under the impression mcnair was being nice to carr saying something like "hey dave, you've been quiet and took all the heat from the city for the losses even when they weren't all your fault. i'll cut you and let you sign where you want to play, it's the least i can do for you."

if he did ruin any trade, then yeah, i hope he dies.

Swampdunkey
03-24-2007, 08:30 AM
ALL I am sayin is that Carr has never played well from his back and Schaub will be the same. They should have seen it last year. BUt hindsight being what it is we can't do anything about it, Other people are gettin paid to do that. Draft Jamarcus Russell at least he will be able to knock down a couple of defenders when they come through the line.

Malloy
03-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Do you have a link confirming this ? :)

texan_fan_8
03-24-2007, 09:49 AM
The Tennessee Titans!!!!!!!!!!!

IF Carr was released today because our owner wanted to honor his relationship with the QB, then yeah, we still have a noob owner making rookie mistakes. It's a cut-throat business and winners do what it takes to win, which means getting what you can in spite of your personal relationships.

However, I'm more inclined to think that there simply wasn't a market for DC, and no team has offered diddly squat for us to make a deal.

I wish DC the best, but it's time to move onward and upward. August 2007 can't come soon enough for me!!

You know this is what i've thought all the way along. As everyone here has railed on about what draft pick david is worth. Its been glaringly obvious for the last 3 years that there was an issue with David Carr. And frankly if i was a GM and i was thinking about him, i would of called Dan Reeves and said Dan, what do you think.

The texans were advised not to re-up the contract. If the guys own team was advise this, why then would we think there was a market for him.

And to every one who is mad at the FO...you may want to review that. If no one wants the guy because his salary is too high for what you are recieving. How long do you hold on to him. Unfortunately no one wants the guy. If they could of gotten something for him they would of. But his salary is dispropotionate to his ablity.

I wish him all the luck in the world and I hope someone will give him a fresh start.

QB75
03-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Miami is going with Trent Green, who sucks at this point, but is still better than Carrbage. He won't even start next yr imo. Nobody thinks this guy is a starter. If he starts, it's a desperation move only and won't last.

And to the person who said we shouldn't celebrate, I am right now!

Celebrate, celebrate, celebrate.

It's a celebration times three!!

:shots: :perfect10: :toast2: :whoohoo:

Now that's what I call confidence.

A Texan
03-24-2007, 10:38 AM
wow. how about this. texans win 41-35 david carr goes 31-42 398 yards and 5 td's.

texans come out with a win and carr "shoved it down their throats."

is it really that hard guys?

:confused:
There's something wrong with your math! 31 3 to 5 yd. completions would not add up to 398 yds.!

CoachJim
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Some of you guys act like DC stole the $35 mil straight from your ass pocket.:twocents:

2BCF
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
It's not so much the wasted money as it is the wasted time.
You're right though, it takes two to tango. McNair kept betting on the wrong horse no matter how many times it came in last.

cuppacoffee
03-24-2007, 12:08 PM

And the pig represents what?

Well......I have read in several articles that pigs are almost as intelligent as humans. But that is just an unprovable theory.

After they eat enough carrbage (just a play on words) they become hogs, and everyone knows what happens to hogs.

:coffee:

QB75
03-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Ok I agree with you.

Im just so ticked off that we got nothing at all for Carr, who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

If you insist that he was so worthless, then how exactly were the Texans supposed to get something of value for him?

After acquiring Schaub, I was glad to see the organization release Carr as quickly as they did. It was the right thing to do and gave him the maximum flexibility to move ahead.

:redtowel:

Ibar_Harry
03-24-2007, 02:58 PM
The following is a story from the chronicle. Some of you may find it interesting reading. Seems to be a dignified article with respect to Carr. Again Carr remains the quiet one in all of this. He was and always has been a company man.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4657958.html

A year ago I said he was in an impossible situation and I felt the Texans had made a very bad decision once VY declared. The pressure just became so intense and it was a no win situation for David and the Texans, but everyone was going to try to fight through it like a bad marriage. Throughout the whole season they were battling that story and it became a never ending battle for David and Mario. I felt it was handled very badly by the Texans to the detriment of David and Mario.

I have also stated for a long time that the team never developed around David's talents. That has been true from day 1 and remained the case til the end.

The Texans have had a case of injuries beyond belief and I think you can go back to the 2nd season and say that was the undoing of the Texans and David Carr. I truely believe everything they planned on doing was undone by the things that happened that year. Call it fate, call it whatever you want, but that's when the real demise of the Texan's plan began. It has been downhill ever since that fateful year. Every year since it seems like the Texans have had more than their share of devasting injuries. Perhapes this will be their lucky year.

It will be interesting to see if David can land on his feet somewhere and do well. I would say time is against him, but we shall see. I suspect the fight in him wants to continue the battle, but perhapes its time to move on. He's taken a lot of hits and he's not getting any younger.

You look at the 1st game against Dallas and that probably defined his career more than any other. Teams immediately recognized that he would beat you if given time. Starting with the 2nd game against SD the theme became kill the QB and the Texans were not in a position to protect him. It was an unending stream of hits the 1st year and set the stage for what happened in the insuing years. That's the way it was and that's the way it is.

Through all of it David remained a gentleman and a staunch member of the community. That's also the way it was and the way it is.

MojoX
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
The following is a story from the chronicle. Some of you may find it interesting reading. Seems to be a dignified article with respect to Carr. Again Carr remains the quiet one in all of this. He was and always has been a company man....
Ya know, the Chronicle better man up on this, too. Once VY declared and especially after the draft, none of those shills at the Chronicle gave Carr, Mario, or the Texans a chance. From their near daily pissy columns ripping the Carr, Mario and team to that ridiculous VY watch scoreboard to all McClain's Titan's coverage, that publication was hell bent on turning public opinion against the team and Carr. Of course VY was gonna be the story be cause the very writers decided he was going to be. I remember watching Monday press conferences with McClain nearly each week asking Kubiak if it was a mistake to pass on VY.

In protest of their Texans coverage, I stopped reading Justice quite a while ago and I am considering adding the Pilsbury General to the list.

Anyway, yeah, props to Carr for being a good soldier. His press conference with his new team should be interesting since you know there will be quite a few baiting questions.

GoTexans
03-24-2007, 03:27 PM
that makes me sick. we could have gotten at least a 4th for Carr

if we could have we would have.
end of discussion.

carr has vero trade value with his poor decision making and big contract.

taking the cap hit over two years is much better than one. :elmo: La Ron Landry time!!!!

TwinSisters
03-24-2007, 05:03 PM
His press conference with his new team should be interesting since you know there will be quite a few baiting questions.

Wonder if it will turn out like Jabar's in Philly?

Andrew6
03-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I wonder if this thread length will equal the David Carr is gone thread from last week. only got about 800 more posts to go. Everyone do your part.

wow its getting there isn't it.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
well i think it's just amazing that only after 5 years into the season we are already having to release the franchises leading passer and rusher...it just goes to show you how bad luck and bad coaching/management can take a promising situation to one we are ready to forget

the funny thing is the chronicle at a pick in the article of carr and couch shaking hands...just goes to show how expansion teams can ruin the careers of two really promising guys coming out of college...to this day i believe couch had some real talent and real potential

as for williams his knees just couldn't handle the work load...which is really sad

let's hope the future of this team turns out a lot better than what we've already seen

Second Honeymoon
03-24-2007, 07:57 PM
If you insist that he was so worthless, then how exactly were the Texans supposed to get something of value for him?

After acquiring Schaub, I was glad to see the organization release Carr as quickly as they did. It was the right thing to do and gave him the maximum flexibility to move ahead.

:redtowel:

they released him because no one wanted him. it wasnt strictly for the benefit of carr...just a sad indictment of Carr's ability to play QB

Texan_Aggie222
03-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I think the cutting of Carr made a lot of sense, I mean they trade for a guy thats going to be the face of the franchise for the next 7 years, and they last thing you want is the old guy still hanging around while the new guy is trying to take over. Now Schuab can take over the Texans with out any talk of David Carr.

DocBar
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I think the cutting of Carr made a lot of sense, I mean they trade for a guy thats going to be the face of the franchise for the next 7 years, and they last thing you want is the old guy still hanging around while the new guy is trying to take over. Now Schuab can take over the Texans with out any talk of David Carr.
You just might jinx him, saying stuff like that. DC was the "face" of this franchise for 5 yrs. and look what it got us.
:)

keyfro
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
you know the bottom line here is that cutting these two guys was the only move we could have made

sure the media is gonna burn us for not getting any value in a trade with david carr...sure they're going to say we messed up by making the schaub deal then trying to deal carr

but the truth of it was that we had been trying to trade him all offseason...i believe we were only getting the same value in trade that detriot got for harrington which was something like a 6th rounder...and we would still have to get carr to restructure his deal...if i was him i wouldn't restructure unless i was going to the team i wanted to go to

and keep this in mind...by treating carr and williams with the class this franchise did it's going to help us attrack other FA's in the future...by not dragging this out other players know we have a owner who cares...coaches who won't screw you when they get the chance...and a GM who is trying to do right by everyone...so who cares what the media says...it is what it is...carr has been released...and i haven't even heard anything about him making trips to interview with teams...he might just become the next tim couch

MojoX
03-26-2007, 12:07 AM
you know the bottom line here is that cutting these two guys was the only move we could have made

sure the media is gonna burn us for not getting any value in a trade with david carr...sure they're going to say we messed up by making the schaub deal then trying to deal carr

but the truth of it was that we had been trying to trade him all offseason...i believe we were only getting the same value in trade that detriot got for harrington which was something like a 6th rounder...and we would still have to get carr to restructure his deal...if i was him i wouldn't restructure unless i was going to the team i wanted to go to

and keep this in mind...by treating carr and williams with the class this franchise did it's going to help us attrack other FA's in the future...by not dragging this out other players know we have a owner who cares...coaches who won't screw you when they get the chance...and a GM who is trying to do right by everyone...so who cares what the media says...it is what it is...carr has been released...and i haven't even heard anything about him making trips to interview with teams...he might just become the next tim couch
Well, we also should to remember that, according to Carr's brother and another poster here claiming to have a source through an agent, Carr refused to renegotiate his contract. Teams were interested in Carr, but weren't willing to take on that monstrosity of a contract. In short, Carr decided to screw the team over. I guess Kubiak hurt his feelings last season.

One thing that has come to my mind is this: wouldn't the Texans have been very likely to receive a compensatory pick from the NFL in this year's draft had they let Carr walk last year?

OzzO
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
...and keep this in mind...by treating carr and williams with the class this franchise did it's going to help us attrack other FA's in the future...by not dragging this out other players know we have a owner who cares...coaches who won't screw you when they get the chance...and a GM who is trying to do right by everyone......

Good point. I was thinking before that if Bobby Mac... okay, Bob McNair... is gonna be this nice to his players, then he's gonna get eaten alive in the NFL by other owners / teams. (I think that was even mentioned before.) But, that makes some sense as well.

Looks like McNair is walking the talk in that he wanted a quality, classy organization and it's reflective, it seems, in the players they acquire and how they treat them heading out the door.

Lucky
03-26-2007, 01:19 PM
One thing that has come to my mind is this: wouldn't the Texans have been very likely to receive a compensatory pick from the NFL in this year's draft had they let Carr walk last year?
I don't think so. The Texans FA losses of Carr, Bradford, Gaffney, Norris, and Milford Brown likely would have been offset by the signings of Weaver, Flanagan, Sanders, Cook, Rosenfels, Putzier, Kalu, and Salaam.

wrestler4life
03-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I think im going to be sick... Why do other teams get picks for players, and we tend to just cut them? I will never figure that one out...

I feel the same way, but I think that our players are so bad that noone is willing to give up anything for them.