PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Big Ben Wallets
03-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Considering Schaub has minimal playing time, it's hard to assess who got the better end of the deal. However, from reading Schaub's scouting report, listening to him speak and examining his skill set, I think it's safe to say Schaub is very similar to Arizona Cardinals QB Matt Leinart.

Leinart and Schaub both excel at throwing the short, crossing patterns. Both are tall, have decent mobility, and above average , but not elite, arm strength. Both are good leaders and well-liked amongst teammates. Both are pocket passers with good awareness and make quick decisions with the ball. The only difference is Leinart is left-handed.

So what do you guys think? The number 8 pick, plus two 2's for basically a right-handed Matt Leinart. Good trade or no?

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
This mostly likely is a very good comparison.

kiwitexansfan
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
You paint a pretty picture.

Time will tell, I hope your right.

Porky
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
From what I have seen of both, I think that's a reasonable comparison.

Big Ben Wallets
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm glad you like the comparison. I'm not even a Texans fan (go Bears) so my opinion is completely objective.

Hopefully this will make the debates over whether Rick Smith overpaid for Schaub easier to analyze. Just replace every "Matt Schaub" reference with "Matt Leinart" and take it from there.

For example, "Shoot, there goes our ***** front office again... we pass on VY and trade a boatload of picks for "Matt Leinart", an unproven backup in ATL. "Matt Leinart" is only marginally better than David Carr, I hope all you DC haters are happy."

I hope this helps!

mamoo
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Could be. Schaub is definately different than Carr. One of the first things he asked for was every Texans player's phone number. He plans to call each and everyone of them to let them know what he wants the team accomplish this season. He also graduated from Virginia... and was working on his Masters in Economics when he went to the NFL. Those two things are a big difference from the Carr era.

TreWardTxn
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup? A guy who doesn't have all the throws Carr has, doesn't have the mobility, doesn't have the NFL experience. They are still talking about this guys potential since when he came out of Virginia. This is a frikin' joke, and I can, or you can hope for the best all you want, but there is no way this can be deemed a good trade unless the Texans win a Superbowl in the next three years, which won't happen because we won't have the picks to build the depth Superbowl teams have...

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...

redkoolaid
03-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Schaub definately has a stronger Arm than leinart..

Need proof?..look at this 60 yard bomb..

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1096084148&fr=yfp-t-501

..Im looking forward to seeing a lot of this with AJ..

BattleRedRaider
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Umm, I think neg rep is available right now.

The Pencil Neck
03-22-2007, 03:29 PM
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup? A guy who doesn't have all the throws Carr has, doesn't have the mobility, doesn't have the NFL experience. They are still talking about this guys potential since when he came out of Virginia. This is a frikin' joke, and I can, or you can hope for the best all you want, but there is no way this can be deemed a good trade unless the Texans win a Superbowl in the next three years, which won't happen because we won't have the picks to build the depth Superbowl teams have...

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...

You really think that the Texans were going to ever go to the SB with Carr even with those 2 second round picks? I don't.

Would you have traded for Favre or Hasselbeck when they were unproven backups? How about McNair? Guess not, hmmmm?

And how is talking about Schaub's potential any different than Carr's potential? Carr hasn't done anything; when does it stop being potential and start being a mistake? And why does it matter if Carr can make all the throws if he won't make all the throws?

You've given Carr this long. Why not try to give Schaub a year and let's see where we stand? Hell, why not give him half a season at least? :)

wolf123
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Yeah...I can definitely see Fitz and Bolden suffering with Leinart. :sarcasm:

Who would you have rather us started all season, Sage? It's obvious that this team had little faith in David, so someone had to step up. The front office and HC definitely don't think that Sage can handle the load since they tried to acquire Garcia, Plummer, Ramsey, Green, and finally Schaub. Someone in this organization fell for Schaub and hopefully it was Kubes. Yes, Schaub doesn't have a lot of actual game experience, but he's sat and learned for a few years, played in pre-season, received several years of NFL coaching...potential may be a sickening word for some to hear over and over, but it needs to be said that he possesses some. :texflag:

Porky
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Umm, I think neg rep is available right now.

Okay, they must have changed that. Well, at least my ignore list went up by one to...one.

Ole Miss Texan
03-22-2007, 03:34 PM
you say we gave up peterson or landry. well maybe, but we didn't give up a 1st round pick which is crucial. we dropped 2 spots!!!!

those two guys were def. the fan favorites...but i and some, were worried the texans may not even draft them and take someone else. We're still going to get one of the guys we really wanted at 10...its 2 spots down!! sheesh.

think amobi okoye, alan branch, leon hall, levi brown, etc.

kcwilson
03-22-2007, 03:37 PM

First, you don't and will never know who the Texans were going to get at #8, so you can stop speculating... this trade will kick off all sorts of chain reaction movements by teams that will shift their draft priorities.

Second, maybe the Texans were higher on Nelson than Landry or Brown over Landry for their needs... we don't know where their intentions would have been and never will.

Third, it is always tough to compare two players to each other, but in fairness to Matt Leinart, the guy has shown that he is a good QB and I don't think he has done anything to give any inkling that he won't be a good QB in the NFL. I would be happy to have a QB with the skills of Leinart on this team.

Now you can bash me because I am from L.A.

FirstDownMaker
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM

This was/is a bad move for the Texans but not for the reasons you mentioned. Let's forget about Matt Leinart and his arm....Arizona seems to like him just fine! What makes it a bad move is the fact our "deep thinkers" (the front office) last year this time were convinced that David Carr was our future. And they gave him and us, 8 millions reasons to think he was. And not only did they give him the 8 mill....they then passed on Vince Young! The Texans are not a bad team because of bad luck. We are bad because our "deep thinkers" are clueless!

ROCKY
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup?

We werent getting petersen at 8, he wont be there. The fact that you think petersen will be there at 8 shows that you are the one kidding yourself.

Plus, schaub is not a normal backup, it's not like we did all this to get brian greise. You dont tender a guy for a 1st and 3rd round pick if he's "just a backup"

Imagine how mad you'll be when we trade down even further.....

kcwilson
03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
This was/is a bad move for the Texans but not for the reasons you mentioned. Let's forget about Matt Leinart and his arm....Arizona seems to like him just fine! What makes it a bad move is the fact our "deep thinkers" (the front office) last year this time were convinced that David Carr was our future. And they gave him and us, 8 millions reasons to think he was. And not only did they give him the 8 mill....they then passed on Vince Young! The Texans are not a bad team because of bad luck. We are bad because our "deep thinkers" are clueless!

Well, according to your logic, this deal isn't bad... the deal that is bad is the extension of Carr. This was basically a move that they had to make to correct a previous mistake. So given that the mistake was made... how would you rate this move, knowing that the Carr extension was done, you can't change it, and something NEEDED to be done in THEIR minds?

What were their alternatives, given the Carr extension can't be undone?

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 04:05 PM

So the deal is bad because VY isn't on our team? That simply means that LAST YEAR we made a bad decision. How again does that make this deal a bad one?

powerfuldragon
03-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Schaub definately has a stronger Arm than leinart..

Need proof?..look at this 60 yard bomb..

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1096084148&fr=yfp-t-501

..Im looking forward to seeing a lot of this with AJ..

sierrahotelindiatango.

redkoolaid
03-22-2007, 04:16 PM
We werent getting petersen at 8, he wont be there. The fact that you think petersen will be there at 8 shows that you are the one kidding yourself.

Plus, schaub is not a normal backup, it's not like we did all this to get brian greise. You dont tender a guy for a 1st and 3rd round pick if he's "just a backup"

Imagine how mad you'll be when we trade down even further.....

Peterson WILL be there at 8...he'll probably wind up in Atlanta..if they cant move out of 8...

I think its pretty much common knowledge that Calvin Johnson is going to the Raiders

and Quinn/Russell is going to the Browns..

Arizona, Washington, and Minnessotta...will NOT draft AD..

Errant Hothy
03-22-2007, 04:20 PM

Yeah cause we were so sure that Peterson was going to fall to 8...only in your dreams. Of the 8 teams picking in front of us ( as of before teh trade) 7 would either take Peterson or be able to pull a trade down for somebody else to get him. Matt Milen would not be able to, of course. Also since when has out track record with 2nd round picks been so good we deem them untouchable assets?

Remember: Schaub + 10th pick > Carr + 8th pick + 39th pick

And all those assets of Carr's you spouted off wiht...if he really has all of those why did he only throw 2 TDs in his last 10 games? Why has he never passed for more then 300 yards and 3 TDs in a game? Hmmm?

michaelm
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Now you can bash me because I am from L.A.

Honestly, I would've bashed you because you're from L.A. before this post... :)

Carr Bombed
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
sierrahotelindiatango.

That kind of language isn't appropriate on this board. :)

michaelm
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
sierrahotelindiatango.

hoteluniformhotel?

powerfuldragon
03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
That kind of language isn't appropriate on this board. :)
if you hadn't pointed it out 85% of the people here wouldn't have even known. :D

htownfoozball
03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
atlanta has dunn and norwood as their 1-2 backs plus michael vick. a running back is the last thing they need.

Meloy
03-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Deal is done. What can be better is another team deciding a player avail @ 10 is worth giving Texans a second round to move up. Prob will not happen but how many of us picked this trade? We need to look at getting good players to round team out.

Gamehorn25
03-22-2007, 04:31 PM
All I wish is that we could get a second reciever with Schaub, so the 2 second round picks would be worth it. I hope we trade Carr for a 2nd round pick, so we can get a #2WR or another DB to go with D-Rob. This is what we should do IMO.

Pantherstang84
03-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Ok the 2006 draft was 300+ days ago. Can we please get past Vince "Could have saved the Texans" Young already?

The organization made a mistake. They owned up to it and is moving on.

We need to move on too. I hear Nashville is a booming town for you Young fans. Plenty of jobs available up there.

You also might want to try...

www.titansonline.com

They have a fan message board too.

bigTEXan8
03-22-2007, 04:34 PM
i hate woody paige...but dud just make a brilliant point. the texans gave up two 2nd round picks (one this year and one next) and swapped first round picks for a back-up qb who is unproven. don't get me wrong, this is one step closer to getting carr out of a lousy organization, and i'm happy for him. but, to me, this just shows a lack of intelligence by the FO. now, question probably kreeping up in some of your minds is along the lines of, "well then bigTEXan8, what would you have done?" I would have gone for trent green, draft a qb in the first round, and HAVE HIM SIT FOR A YEAR learning to play the system. to me, that would have been a more, worth while trade.

*just so people know, just because i think the FO are morons, doesn't mean i don't like the players. good group of core guys, just need a few more additions to really set this team off.

Pantherstang84
03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
i hate woody paige...but dud just make a brilliant point. the texans gave up two 2nd round picks (one this year and one next) and swapped first round picks for a back-up qb who is unproven. don't get me wrong, this is one step closer to getting carr out of a lousy organization, and i'm happy for him. but, to me, this just shows a lack of intelligence by the FO. now, question probably kreeping up in some of your minds is along the lines of, "well then bigTEXan8, what would you have done?" I would have gone for trent green, draft a qb in the first round, and HAVE HIM SIT FOR A YEAR learning to play the system. to me, that would have been a more, worth while trade.

*just so people know, just because i think the FO are morons, doesn't mean i don't like the players. good group of core guys, just need a few more additions to really set this team off.

I think Kubes made an even better point during the presser. We won't have to have Schaub holding the clipboard for 2-3 years. Atlanta did that for us.

Errant Hothy
03-22-2007, 04:41 PM

The words "Woody Paige" and "brilliant point" should never, never be in the same sentence...EVER!

michaelm
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Your post is kind of hard to read, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't ever clarify what Woody Page said that was brilliant... If it's the thing about how we "gave up two 2nd round picks (one this year and one next) and swapped first round picks for a back-up qb who is unproven" it really isn't brilliant at all...

Vinny
03-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Carr is on his way back to the No' Cal...you should be happy.

Waltman
03-22-2007, 05:11 PM
If some how the Texans go 8-8 or better then it's a good decision. If not then it will be a terrible decision; for what we gave in return. We will just have to wait and see. The real question is if Matt plays like crap the first season for us, will he get the same amount of chances as David Carr and how many Matt fans will immediately become Matt haters.

hoteluniformmikemike...:stirpot:

Gamehorn25
03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I am just wondering when the Matt haters are going to show their ugly heads. I guarentee you that if we don't make it to the playoffs this year, even if we were very close, Schaub is going to be compared to Carr in a really bad light. We gave a lot away to get him, so people will want a lot of playoff wins from him.

The only thing that I want to know is whether Schaub is worth all of this hype.

hadaad
03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Carr is on his way back to the No' Cal...you should be happy.

Just out of curiosity here: Speculation? Rumour? Source?

SnakeOilTanker
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Matt sorta looks like Matt to me aswell

Porky
03-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I am just wondering when the Matt haters are going to show their ugly heads. I guarentee you that if we don't make it to the playoffs this year, even if we were very close, Schaub is going to be compared to Carr in a really bad light. We gave a lot away to get him, so people will want a lot of playoff wins from him.

The only thing that I want to know is whether Schaub is worth all of this hype.

So let me get this straight. The best Carr could manage in 5 full years is 7-9, but if Matt doesn't take us to the playoffs in his very first year, he should be run out of town on a rail? Okay, interesting logic you have there. :this:

Heath Shuler
03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
So let me get this straight. The best Carr could manage in 5 full years is 7-9, but if Matt doesn't take us to the playoffs in his very first year, he should be run out of town on a rail? Okay, interesting logic you have there. :this:

Exactly. The bar for QB expectations in Houston has been set very low. If Schaub can find the huddle, try not to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage and not throw passes past the line of scrimmage, I think Texans fans will be happy.

Navy_Chris
03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Exactly. The bar for QB expectations in Houston has been set very low. If Schaub can find the huddle, try not to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage and not throw passes past the line of scrimmage, I think Texans fans will be happy.

funny. but you're wrong.

I won't be happy with anything less than 10-6 next season. I think we're capable of that. Anything more than 25 sacks will be very underwhelming also.

BattleRedToro
03-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Considering Schaub has minimal playing time, it's hard to assess who got the better end of the deal. However, from reading Schaub's scouting report, listening to him speak and examining his skill set, I think it's safe to say Schaub is very similar to Arizona Cardinals QB Matt Leinart.

Leinart and Schaub both excel at throwing the short, crossing patterns. Both are tall, have decent mobility, and above average , but not elite, arm strength. Both are good leaders and well-liked amongst teammates. Both are pocket passers with good awareness and make quick decisions with the ball. The only difference is Leinart is left-handed.

So what do you guys think? The number 8 pick, plus two 2's for basically a right-handed Matt Leinart. Good trade or no?

Terrible trade and here is why. The Texans could have traded down last year and picked Leinart plus whatever extra they get in the trade plus they could have traded Carr for something last year. As it looks now they very well may get nothing for him this year, and they have to give up two 2nd Rounders and 2 spots in the 1st Round. In conclusion, the terrible job being done by the Texans's FO is the reason they will remain at the bottom of the league for far longer than they should be.

kcwilson
03-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Honestly, I would've bashed you because you're from L.A. before this post... :)

And that is why no one will value your opinion.

wolf123
03-23-2007, 03:00 AM

Apparently we tried to get Green but it didn't work out, as well as practically every other QB available (Ramsey, Garcia, and Plummer)...so...what now? Kinda puts a small hole in your plan

GNTLEWOLF
03-23-2007, 03:59 AM
The Jury is still out on Schaub. He was a very competant back-up in Atlanta. Often he looked better than Vick. We really don't know how he will fair (1) in the Houston Offense,(2) behind whatever o-line we come up with, and (3) as a starter. Over the years I can't say how many guys I've seen that look all-pro caliber coming off the bench or with one or two starts and when given the starting job completely collapsed. I hope this is not the case with Schaub. However, any new QB a team has is a crap shoot at best. There are no guarantees with anyone. I hope this signals a new era in Texans Football in which we don't get a million threads about how much of a loser our QB is.

whiskeyrbl
03-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I cannot believe the way the posters on this board can be sometime. All you hear for three years is we need a new QB.... Now we have one and all you hear is he is a backup, we gave to much... People Carr had his chances, and thanks to C & C he spent most of his career on his back like a hooker on Main St. And unfortunately he is so shell shocked (at least in Houston ) that it has severly affected his play. Now we have a highly sought QB who has been a backup in ATL. I think before we try to run him out of town let him take a snap and see what he has. If this is not possible I suggest you turn in your resume to Bob McNair to replace kubes and Smith so YOU can make the decisions that we can tear apart on this MB.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
i see matt schaub being a mix of matt leinart and chad pennington...but a right handed version of matt leinart pretty much says it all

Mattheus_Rex
03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
I've never heard of this guy or seen him play so I hope it works out.

oilerstexans2007
03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Hopefully Matt will get us to the playoffs.To David good luck on your next team.:elmo:

uhcougar08
03-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Oh, OK, because DC sure had a better deep ball to Dre!!! I bet you were hoping we traded our sixth and seventh round draft picks to Indy for Peyton. Maybe we should have gone out and gotten Ryan Leaf out of retirement, because I heard he had a good long ball. Give me a break!!! The Texans went out and made a move for a QB, and all you can do is bash them? Go find another team to boo for, because I do not want you as a Texans fan if you are going to act like that. Go Matt! Go Ahman! Go Texans!!!

Pantherstang84
03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I cannot believe the way the posters on this board can be sometime. All you hear for three years is we need a new QB.... Now we have one and all you hear is he is a backup, we gave to much... People Carr had his chances, and thanks to C & C he spent most of his career on his back like a hooker on Main St. And unfortunately he is so shell shocked (at least in Houston ) that it has severly affected his play. Now we have a highly sought QB who has been a backup in ATL. I think before we try to run him out of town let him take a snap and see what he has. If this is not possible I suggest you turn in your resume to Bob McNair to replace kubes and Smith so YOU can make the decisions that we can tear apart on this MB.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

HuttoKarl
03-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Why draft a rookie to sit and learn the system when Schaub's been sitting and learning the system for three years???

Woody is still about as smart as....my woody.

macaronitoni
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM

You're right. Instead of doing something about it, and picking up Schaub, they should have stuck with their 8 million reasons why we'll never go to the playoffs in David Carr. Get a clue.

Big Ben Wallets
03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/10/27/gallery.10franchiseqbsfinal/schaub.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/12/14/10.things.week15/t1_leinart_si.jpg

Eh? What do you guys think? Schaub has a little bit better arm and is slightly heavier. Leinart is better looking, so I'm told. They both even wear their wristbands identical.

If you took Schaub from Virginia and surrounded him with Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith and Mike Williams I'm certain Schaub could have been a Heisman front-runner.

More importantly, both are intelligent guys who won't hold the ball under duress. I'm a Bears fan and I watched the miracle MNF game (think "the Bears are WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!"). Under a decent Bears pass rush Leinart made quick decisions and got rid of the ball.

I think Schaub can do the same thing. No holding onto the ball. Make a read, if nothing is there find the checkdown. Get 5 yards and try again the following down. No 10 yard losses running out of bounds or taking sacks.

JAXwithanX
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Believe it or not Schaub is more mobile as well....besides absolutely destroying Leinart's below NFL average arm strength. So yeah i guess the are pretty similar. White with brown hair.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Believe it or not Schaub is more mobile as well....besides absolutely destroying Leinart's below NFL average arm strength. So yeah i guess the are pretty similar. White with brown hair.

everything i've seen from leinart i would say he has a below average arm strength...the kid can throw...maybe not as far as russell or as hard as farve but he can still get the job done...i've seen plenty of worse arms there's no doubt about that

like i said maybe the best way to describe schaub is chad pennington with more mobility and less injuries

edo783
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
like i said maybe the best way to describe schaub is chad pennington with more mobility and less injuries

If he is as accurate and smart with the ball as Chad is, we will do well.

MATRIX
03-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Lynch is a better complete back than Peterson(alot like LT in he also has GREAT hands, AP has only marginal hands) and could be taken at 10 in a very real chance. Peterson was on 610 AM this morning and even he feels, minus a trade, that he is going to the Browns. he said they call, they had a full staff at his pro day...ect. He even said he would be shocked to be around after they pick.

As for Landry, impact...yea. Can we get as much or more at 10...yes.

kcwilson
03-23-2007, 06:31 PM

To me, there are two kinds of mobile QBs:
(1) The Michael Vick type: who is prone to scrambling like a RB
(2) The Peyton Manning type: who is mobile within the pocket and can move smartly within the pocket.

You ever notice how Manning and Brady move smartly with their feet in the pocket so they are always in a good position? That is the kind of QB that Leinart is... he isn't fast, or quick, but his footwork is very good and has the ability to put himself in a good position under duress to make a good throw... in that sense, he has good mobility within the pocket...

He can roll out too, but isn't going to outrun everyone, if not anyone, but he moves smartly.

I hope Schaub is that kind of QB, doesn't need to be a rabbit, just know where the wolves are and buy himself time.