PDA

View Full Version : Parameters of Schaub's Deal

4Texans
03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
The Texans have to negotiate a new contract with Schaub, before the trade goes through. Knowing he would hit the free agent market in 2008, what do you think his salary demand is going to be with the Texans?

Trap_Star
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Im going to guess its a 5 year 30 mill with 10 mill guaranteed...

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Im going to guess its a 5 year 30 mill with 10 mill guaranteed...

Isn't that basically what Carr is being paid? I would think it'd be close to Carr's.

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
2 years, 50 bucks, a case of mickey's 40s, an old playboy, and a carton of Marlboro 27s.

mexican_texan
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
2 years, 50 bucks, a case of mickey's 40s, an old playboy, and a carton of Marlboro 27s.
I hope you're kidding. I'm not paying that much for a QB.

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I hope you're kidding. I'm not paying that much for a QB.
I read it in the chron.

4Texans
03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
All this excitment could be over in a few days if they can't work out a contract....... and then we're back to square one!:poker:

Trap_Star
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM
All this excitment could be over in a few days if they can't work out a contract....... and then we're back to square one!:poker:

They have completed the contract. The deal is done. The deal would'nt go through unless a new contract was agreed, which it has...

4Texans
03-21-2007, 10:59 PM
They have completed the contract. The deal is done. The deal would'nt go through unless a new contract was agreed, which it has...

Is there a link confirming that the contract and trade are done? Has the NFL approved it? Just curious. Everything I have read doesn't confirm it's final. "In principal" only.....

Doug
03-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Where did you hear this? I haven't seen confirmation of a contract being signed yet. The deal is not done till after the contract is signed and last I heard it hasn't been.

Trap_Star
03-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Is there a link confirming that the contract and trade are done? Has the NFL approved it? Just curious. Everything I have read doesn't confirm it's final. "In principal" only.....

I was watching Total Access(NFL NETWORK), Adam Shefter said the deal was agreed to on monday but they needed Schaub to agree to new contract in order to make it official. This moring, Schaub's agent and the Texans FO finally agreed to a new contract, thus finalizing the deal and making it official...

Edit: Shaub just needs to sign the contract complete the deal...

Scottyboy
03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Its done...

Carr to Oakland....but for hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :poker:

Tulip
03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Where did you hear this? I haven't seen confirmation of a contract being signed yet. The deal is not done till after the contract is signed and last I heard it hasn't been.

It's done. Mark Berman with the scoop as usual.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=2731202&version=10&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I heard on 790 that's it's somwhere in the range of 5 years, $20 million

dtran04
03-21-2007, 11:15 PM
It's done. Mark Berman with the scoop as usual.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=2731202&version=10&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Ahman and Gary playing 18 holes with Matt to reel him in. I bet they let him win. :)

TexansSB07
03-21-2007, 11:15 PM

I think Texans have pretty good chance to sign Schaub, if it was about money he wouldn't care where he went (OAKLAND). IF he wants chance to play for team he can start for and show what he has to offer and lead team somewhere Texans are his BEST chance:drool:

Texans Pride
03-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Sorry if this information was posted elsewhere already. This is from the Chronicle by McClain.

Any way you slice it, fans are weighing in on the Texans' trade for Schaub. Before they could make the deal, the Texans had to get Schaub to agree to a new contract that will be worth $48 million over six years, including $7 million guaranteed. He'll earn $20 million over the first three years. If Schaub is everything the Texans hope he'll be, they'll give him $10 million in 2010 to ensure that he'll be around for the last three years.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/03/what_schaub_could_mean_to_the.html

Second Honeymoon
03-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Sorry if this information was posted elsewhere already. This is from the Chronicle by McClain.

Any way you slice it, fans are weighing in on the Texans' trade for Schaub. Before they could make the deal, the Texans had to get Schaub to agree to a new contract that will be worth $48 million over six years, including $7 million guaranteed. He'll earn $20 million over the first three years. If Schaub is everything the Texans hope he'll be, they'll give him $10 million in 2010 to ensure that he'll be around for the last three years.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/03/what_schaub_could_mean_to_the.html

you mislabeled your title as Carr not Schaub. as for the contract listed by McClain, that is a huge deal. i thought it was 5 year 20 million....if that is the deal (6yr/48m) that is huge money. he better be good..he better be good

swtbound07
03-22-2007, 02:16 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4649552.html

Schaub, whose trade to the Texans will be officially announced today, has signed a six-year contract worth $48 million, including $7 million guaranteed. He will make $20 million over the first three years.

If the Texans want to keep Schaub for the last three years of the deal, they will pay him the $10 million option bonus in March 2010. In March 2006, they gave David Carr an $8 million option bonus that extended his contract for three more years.

Texans34Life
03-22-2007, 02:18 AM
I know he might be our QB for the future, but are we jumping the gun w/ paying him $48 million?

DomDavis
03-22-2007, 02:19 AM
$7 million guaranteed.

t_flare
03-22-2007, 02:22 AM
whats up with the Texans giving these hugh offer to QB..Carr had one, schaub just got one.... and Sage was overpaid

GP
03-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Plummer possibly sealed the deal.

How strange is THAT?

Plummer actually spoke with Schaub to let him know Kubiak is great. I guess that shoots down the theory that Jake would do anything to play for Kubiak again.

I wonder how much we paid Jake to speak with Schaub? You know there had to be a hook somehow.....

So this is how Jake's career ends? He becomes a liaison for teams trying to recruit other QBs?

mikey21
03-22-2007, 02:27 AM
is it me or did it just go from bad to worse, the Texans gave up too much to get Schaub then they turn around and give him a fat contract for a guy that has yet to prove himself, I swear I think Casserly has to be somewhere near Smith

BeerFan
03-22-2007, 02:44 AM
give it all a chance at least, ****.

Ole Miss Texan
03-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Plummer possibly sealed the deal.

How strange is THAT?

Plummer actually spoke with Schaub to let him know Kubiak is great. I guess that shoots down the theory that Jake would do anything to play for Kubiak again.

I wonder how much we paid Jake to speak with Schaub? You know there had to be a hook somehow.....

So this is how Jake's career ends? He becomes a liaison for teams trying to recruit other QBs?

haha, I'm hearing reports we gave him a new Honda Pilot jk

TwinSisters
03-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Schaub's agent is Joby Branion of Athletes First, which also represents Plummer, who played for Kubiak during the quarterback's first three seasons with the Broncos. Because Schaub could have vetoed any deal by accepting his tender and returning to Atlanta for another season, Plummer spoke to him and said great things about Kubiak as a coach and as a person.

Branion also represents Ahman Green, the running back the Texans signed earlier this month. At a charity golf tournament, Green talked to Schaub about how excited he is to play for the Texans.

interesting... the agent. The agent and the art of the deal.

Ole Miss Texan
03-22-2007, 04:00 AM

I just new somehow this deal traced back to Denver or Green Bay...but to both of them!!! wow! lol

kiwitexansfan
03-22-2007, 06:16 AM
7 Million gauranteed is not the much money for your starting QB.

We can always gut him before his option in 2010 if he isn't any good.

4Texans
03-22-2007, 08:06 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4651834.html

"Schaub, whose trade to the Texans will be officially announced today, has signed a six-year contract worth $48 million, including $7 million guaranteed. He will make $20 million over the first three years.

If the Texans want to keep Schaub for the last three years of the deal, they will pay him the $10 million option bonus in March 2010. In March 2006, they gave David Carr an $8 million option bonus that extended his contract for three more years."

For this kind of deal and the draft picks and position we gave up, the Texans better win at least 9 games this year. Which I will be extatic for, and it will all be worth it.:wild:

TheOgre
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Ahman and Gary playing 18 holes with Matt to reel him in. I bet they let him win. :)

Schaub is a great golfer, so they didn't let him win anything.

tsip
03-22-2007, 08:47 AM
is it me or did it just go from bad to worse, the Texans gave up too much to get Schaub then they turn around and give him a fat contract for a guy that has yet to prove himself, I swear I think Casserly has to be somewhere near Smith

...it's you. Carr got a fat contract and 5 yrs to prove himself...and still hasn't...that bothers me

...even giving Schaub a chance, I bet we'll know something long before 5 yrs-heck,maybe he'll prove himself before Carr

OzzO
03-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm just glad Kubiak did a little research and inquired from those that know Schaub (more than the "review 2 game tapes" previous method of scouting)

Three coaches Gary Kubiak likes and respects - Alex Gibbs, Bill Musgrave and Al Groh - helped convince the Texans' second-year coach that Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub was worth pursuing.....

...Before the Texans pulled the trigger, Kubiak spoke with three coaches. Gibbs, the Falcons' former offensive line coach, worked with Kubiak at Denver for years. Musgrave, who played quarterback for Kubiak at Denver, was the Falcons' quarterbacks coach last season. Groh, a longtime NFL coach, was Schaub's head coach at Virginia.

Gibbs, Musgrave and Groh praised Schaub's ability, leadership skills, intensity and competitiveness. All are convinced that, given a starting job with some talented players surrounding him, Schaub can be a consistent winner in the NFL....

potisyourfriend
03-22-2007, 09:35 AM
give it all a chance at least, ****.

Ditto. This isn't baseball, guys can be cut and not paid..

HuttoKarl
03-22-2007, 10:06 AM
He'll NEVER see that full 48 million.

chances are he won't see that 10 million bonus in 2010 either unless he turns into Favre.

hadaad
03-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I know he might be our QB for the future, but are we jumping the gun w/ paying him $48 million?

Because the alternative is to have him under a one-year RFA tender so that after that year, we would have to negotiate his contract, long-term which could get pretty pricey if he's what people expect him to be. The alternative to that would be to lose him for NOTHING via Free Agency or to Transition-tag (yeah, right, what a joke) or Franchise-tag him. Both of those give us first right of refusal but if I remember correctly, Transition tag guarantees a salary which is the average of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league (significantly more than what we're paying him) and Franchise tag which would guarantee us two 1sts if we didn't match the contract would guarantee him the average of the top 5 quarterbacks in the league or a 10% raise, whichever is higher.

So, if he sucks, it would make more sense to let him play out his RFA tender but if he's pretty good, like say he gets us to 9 wins and a win over the Colts and a sweep of the Jags (pretty much inevitable) and the Titans, he would have the option of just walking away from the Texans and those two potential Demeco Ryanses we just sent to the Falcons would be for nothing other than a good season. Because we wouldn't pay the average of Brees, Peyton, Eli, Vick and Whoever else is up there for a guy who only took us to 9-7. So, you assume the risk that he'll suck at a cost of seven million dollars, thinking that the quality of coaching he'll receive under Kubiak will be good enough so that when 2010 comes around and that 10 million dollar extension option bonus comes around, it seems like a bargain.

gtexan02
03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2808100

Ouch. That is quite a contract for an unproven backup QB

Roughnecks
03-22-2007, 12:16 PM
My thought exactly. He will be better than Carr just for the fact that he has not been killed behind the line but that could change if the line does not block well or the wr do not try harder to get open.

Roughnecks
03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm glad it is only 7 mil guaranteed and not like 14 mil.

jparrish
03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm not so sure I'm a fan of this. We need a lot more than a QB.

Link:

wags
03-22-2007, 12:36 PM
JC, talk about paying on the basis of potential!

NederlandTexan
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
NFL contracts are not a case of simple math. The contract is not for $8 million a year. It has the POTENTIAL to become worth $48M.

jparrish
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't like this, we need a lot more than a QB.

Link :

VICKTMS
03-22-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't like this, we need a lot more than a QB.

Link :

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....for 6tds and 6ints!!!

and you gave us your next 2 yrs 2nds and swapped 1st...damn!!!! Who's running your team Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions?!?!? "Here everybody, TAKE IT TAKE IT!!":dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Lucky
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
The 6 year, $48 million contract is similar to what Matt Hasselbeck signed a couple of years ago. Like Hasselbeck's, it's a two-tiered bonus with some now and an option bonus in 2010. I haven't seen where it ranks versus the other QBs in the league, but it's safe to say that it is in the top 15.

My Hero
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
8 Million a year for untried commodity for 6 years? Sounds like Carr V.2.0

jparrish
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I think we should have kept Carr and our draft picks. Think...we could have possibly lost 2 Demeco Ryans' type talents by giving away those draft picks.

johndoe
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
ouch... i wasnt that unhappy about giving up two second rounders but now this...:wild:

mexican_texan
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
$48 million is not that much in the new cap. I think Joey Porter got a way bigger bonus.

jparrish
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
But Joey Porter is a solid starter...Schaub is not nearly as tested

Daonly
03-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Would you rather pay Quinn, Russell, #1 Money 50 million gauranteed who needs a 3 year learning curve or pay some one who already has that and been knowing our system for the last 6 years who is egar to prove he belongs and is 6'5?

hadaad
03-22-2007, 01:15 PM
But Joey Porter is a solid starter...Schaub is not nearly as tested

Joey Porter has injury concerns, personal concerns and is older. He's also a 3-4 outside linebacker which doesn't translate to as much on-the-field importance as a quarterback.

SESupergenius
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
$8 a year. He does have be great right out of the box right?

WillyP
03-22-2007, 02:07 PM
I think we should have kept Carr and our draft picks. Think...we could have possibly lost 2 Demeco Ryans' type talents by giving away those draft picks.

riiiiight, because every second-round pick turns out to be a Pro-Bowl caliber player.

WillyP
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Would you rather pay Quinn, Russell, #1 Money 50 million gauranteed who needs a 3 year learning curve or pay some one who already has that and been knowing our system for the last 6 years who is egar to prove he belongs and is 6'5?

Exactly.

All the naysayers need to offer up some rational solutions to what was a huge problem (QB) for the organization.

Make Sage the QB? Fine, but then you have to draft a qb for the future, and it would probably be a first-round pick at first-round price.

Sign a FA like Garcia or Ramsey? Tried and failed, and you're still in the same situation as above.

No one has the answer. This deal makes sense because we kept all our first-round picks and can use them for other team needs.

4Texans
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4651834.html

"Schaub, whose trade to the Texans will be officially announced today, has signed a six-year contract worth $48 million, including $7 million guaranteed. He will make $20 million over the first three years.

If the Texans want to keep Schaub for the last three years of the deal, they will pay him the $10 million option bonus in March 2010. In March 2006, they gave David Carr an $8 million option bonus that extended his contract for three more years."

For this kind of deal and the draft picks and position we gave up, the Texans better win at least 9 games this year. Which I will be extatic for, and it will all be worth it.:wild:

You know,,,, $7 mill guarnateed doesn't look too bad for this deal, and after hearing some comments from the presser, there is no way the FO will pay that $10 mill option unless we're making the playoffs with Schaub. This has been quite a learning experience for the FO, I'm sure.

Specnatz
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Your reading and comprehention skills are extremely lacking. Trying reading how the contract has different steps involved in it, instead of simple division because that is not have sports contracts work.

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Agreed: those super bowl type QBs are worth it though. We got Brett Farve yesterday !!! Super bowl in '09 Baby !!!

Four years...32 million, 18 million up front. Why would he and his agent expect less than what a broken Carr got ?

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 04:00 PM
whats up with the Texans giving these hugh offer to QB..Carr had one, schaub just got one.... and Sage was overpaid

Because he's Brett Farve II. He's a stud !! We're luck to have him. Super bowl '09 baby !!!

SamuraiSword
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAH NOW THAT IS INTERESTING!!!!! :victory:

jparrish
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
riiiiight, because every second-round pick turns out to be a Pro-Bowl caliber player.

There's always a possibility, and last I checked...Demeco didn't make the probowl. We won't know now without those picks, and with how much help we need....it'd be nice to try and fix it through the draft.