PDA

View Full Version : Carr Trade Discussion

wee_man082008
03-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I have two questions........I believe the Raiders are after Carr. The question is, what is he worth? Moss could be in the discussion because the Raiders were willing to give him up for a 4th rounder. Thats a possible option but I dont want Moss because of his attitued but thats just me. My personal opinion is that we try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Carr since we gave away so many draft picks for Schaub. What do you think? My second question is would Levi Brown or Reggie Nelson be a good choice at #10? Because now the Falcons will get LaRon Landry.

Clash_Fan3605
03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
My second question is would Levi Brown or Reggie Nelson be a good choice at #10? Because now the Falcons will get LaRon Landry.

IMO, we should now go after Nelson with the 10th pick. He can be in the situation that Whitner & Dunta were in a whil e back. Carr to the Raiders is a possibility, but I'm not sure if I want Moss here. If he can get his act together, then I have no problem, but IMO he is a underachiever, & he needs to get his act together.

Zagen30
03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I'd like for us to get a 3rd round pick (I don't see anyone dumb enough to give up a 2nd, except maybe Matt Millen), but I fear that, with Schaub now in town, the most we can at this point get is a box of Twinkies and a 6-pack of Diet Coke. And I'll take even that.

Grid
03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
A.J. Feeley got a 2nd rounder.

So, id say a 3rd rounder is "par for the course"..and that a 2nd rounder should not be out of the question.

TXurias
03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think LaRon will be there at #10 but if he is it will be a blessing for us.

Zagen30
03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
A.J. Feeley got a 2nd rounder.

So, id say a 3rd rounder is "par for the course"..and that a 2nd rounder should not be out of the question.

Except for the fact that Feeley had played very little (7 games, 5 started according to here: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235056), kind of like Schaub, while Carr has started almost all of 5 years, and has not looked remotely good the past 2. It's not all his fault, especially 2005, but after last year, especially the last 10 games, I can't see any team saying "Wow, he's performed well enough, has enough potential, and is confident enough in the pocket to be worth a first day pick."

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Oakland looks like they are the top team to take carr.

I think 2nd is out of the question...3rd may even be too high but i dont know

who has the advantage? we need to get rid of Carr because of Contract and Schaub is hands down our starter...carr will not be our backup $$$$ and sage is good. Oakland probably wants carr so they can draft the best player in the draft in calvin johnson...

I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a deal worked out contingent on our deal with atlanta. or at least one near completion....

I would like to see a better pick next year than one this year. Maybe we ask oakland for their 2nd round pick next season. that helps us because of the one we already traded. Oakland has a superb defense and will be better next season imo...Porter,Moss?, Johnson! Carr >walter and brooks. defense is #3 overall....lamont jordan and didn't they get another FA OT??

they aren't going to have the #1 pick in the 2nd next year i wouldn't think maybe 10-20...(i might just be crazy but it'd at least be close to ours next year i would think)

I like that trade a lot better. David Carr for Oaklands 2008 2nd rounder.

then our Schaub trade would essentially be 2007 2nd round pick and move down 2 spots. that'd be a heck of a deal.

If we had the 12th pick in the draft next year (speculation) and oakland ended up having like the 13th...or at least close whereever we end up then..itd be awesome!!

oakland gets david carr! houston gets oaklands 2008 2nd rd pick!!! i hope

Heath Shuler
03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
I would be extremely happy with a fourth.

DocBar
03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I have two questions........I believe the Raiders are after Carr. The question is, what is he worth? Moss could be in the discussion because the Raiders were willing to give him up for a 4th rounder. Thats a possible option but I dont want Moss because of his attitued but thats just me. My personal opinion is that we try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Carr since we gave away so many draft picks for Schaub. What do you think? My second question is would Levi Brown or Reggie Nelson be a good choice at #10? Because now the Falcons will get LaRon Landry. Where did you hear Da Raiders would take a 4th for Moss? Every team in the league would've jumped on that. From everything I've heard, Davis wanted comperable value for what he gave for Moss-1st rounder...
I ws big on a str8 up trade Carr for Moss, maybe even sweeten the deal with an extra draft pick.

MrLizardTX
03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
What would you do if some team offered a 3rd for Rosenfels or a 4th for Carr?

Marcus
03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Some of you are going to be really disappointed when Carr is released.

If he didn't have that fat contract that McNair gave him, there might be a market for him.

All I can say is . . . prepare yourselves.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM

hmm good question. i'd probably ask for next years 3rd for carr. (his contract is too high for a back up) or just take the 4th.

Id then as for a 2nd next year for sage.

I'd then have van pelt as my back up to schaub w/ at best an extra 2nd and 3rd next season...lol

Zagen30
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Good question. Sage is a tough one-the 3rd would be nice, and yet I want him on the team as the backup, as I don't think that there are any better backups currently available in free agency. For Carr, however, I think that's about the best we can get (hopefully it's a high 4th) and we have absolutely no use for him at this point.

GoTexans
03-21-2007, 11:34 PM
i'd be more than happy if we got a third round pick for Carr.

kcwilson
03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
He'll fetch no more than a 4th, if that.... someone will play chicken with us on this one.

Harrington set the market with a 5th last year... no reason to think that Carr would fetch a third given that and the fact that Texans won't want to carry that salary into 2007.

dtran04
03-21-2007, 11:43 PM
With that contract, no way he gets traded. Other teams know that the Texans will have to cut him. They could play hardball and stuff him at the end of the depth chart until some team bites.

TexansCM
03-21-2007, 11:56 PM
I really hope the Texans have a deal in place for Carr to be traded. If not any hopes of a third are out the window after today, and a fourth would be lucky.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I really hope the Texans have a deal in place for Carr to be traded. If not any hopes of a third are out the window after today, and a fourth would be lucky.

exactly. trading for schaub and giving what we did would not be smart unless a deal was in place. we forced to get rid of carr and if no deal is in place...all the other teams are in the driver seat...and we just cost ourselves severely. shot ourselves in the foot.

Napa Auto Parts
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
in all honesty not speaking as a fan of the texans a fourth rounder would be a fair trade. speaking as a fan i think we would be lucky to get a 7th rounder the way david plays but i think there are still some people around the league that believe in david so it will be easy for us to get a 4th rounder.

Marcus
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
exactly. trading for schaub and giving what we did would not be smart unless a deal was in place. we forced to get rid of carr and if no deal is in place...all the other teams are in the driver seat...and we just cost ourselves severely. shot ourselves in the foot.

Carr's contract was just as huge before the trade. His contract is the reason why he won't be traded. The trade today has no bearing on it.

phantom17
03-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm hoping & praying to the football GODS that we get a 4th! However, we will be lucky to get a 6th rdr! It will be better than if we just let him walk!:elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

GP
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
With that contract, no way he gets traded. Other teams know that the Texans will have to cut him. They could play hardball and stuff him at the end of the depth chart until some team bites.

I think I have the answer:

He won't be cut. He WILL be traded, and will be traded for either a "conditional pick" based on performance benchmarks (number of starts, certain stats, etc.).

Look for the value to initially be a 2008 4th or 5th round pick with the chance to get bumped up to as much as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he meets the qualifications placed on him by the team who acquires him.

Carr will not be cut because there will be teams who want to offer us low draft picks (4th or 5th round) for the chance to snatch him away from other teams that could wait for a June 1st cut and try to outbid for him.

It makes sense for a team to acquire him in exchange for draft picks (Before he's cut, as some propose will happen) rather than to wait for him to be cut and then have teams bid against each other as DC and his agent play each team off one another to get the highest bid.

As a team's GM who is trying to acquire David Carr, I'd rather re-structure the contract a little and arrange for David's pay to be on a sliding scale according to how he does with my team in years 1-3...then I'd trade late round pick(s) away because late round picks are a crap shoot anyway. I get a guy that wants a fresh start, can run with the ball if he gets in trouble, and who stays out of trouble and is a positive role model for my team and its fan base. In addition, he's extremely durable for a guy who's been beaten down so many times. Face it, David believes in himself...you gotta' give him THAT. And a GM can have him re-structure his deal by telling David that the incentives are easy to meet: Start x-amount of games, Complete at least 55% of your passes, rush for x-amount of yards, blah blah blah. The incentives are easy to reach and gives David the comfort he has always needed in order to go out and give it his all. He'd go for that sort of deal, IMO.

Carr has trade value because Miami and Oakland are in dire need of a new QB...and they might see it better to trade late round pick(s) rather to duel with each other if/when he's cut and becomes a free agent who can essentially RAMP UP his salary as he sees fit.

It can happen, IMO.

GP
03-22-2007, 01:01 AM
It's simple: We want a pick, and a team will give it to get Carr without having to play the bidding game against other teams if David were cut and essentially a free agent.

Here's my reasoning:

He won't be cut. He WILL be traded, and will be traded for either a "conditional pick" based on performance benchmarks (number of starts, certain stats, etc.) or for a straight up draft pick, or for a late pick and another player.

Look for the value to initially be a 2008 4th or 5th round pick with the chance to get bumped up to as much as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he meets the qualifications placed on him by the team who acquires him.

Carr will not be cut because there will be teams who want to offer us low draft picks (4th or 5th round) for the chance to snatch him away from other teams that could wait for a June 1st cut and try to outbid for him.

It makes sense for a team to acquire him in exchange for draft picks (Before he's cut, as some propose will happen) rather than to wait for him to be cut and then have teams bid against each other as DC and his agent play each team off one another to get the highest bid.

As a team's GM who is trying to acquire David Carr, I'd rather re-structure the contract a little and arrange for David's pay to be on a sliding scale according to how he does with my team in years 1-3...then I'd trade late round pick(s) away because late round picks are a crap shoot anyway. I get a guy that wants a fresh start, can run with the ball if he gets in trouble, and who stays out of trouble and is a positive role model for my team and its fan base. In addition, he's extremely durable for a guy who's been beaten down so many times. Face it, David believes in himself...you gotta' give him THAT. And a GM can have him re-structure his deal by telling David that the incentives are easy to meet: Start x-amount of games, Complete at least 55% of your passes, rush for x-amount of yards, blah blah blah. The incentives are easy to reach and gives David the comfort he has always needed in order to go out and give it his all. He'd go for that sort of deal, IMO.

Carr has trade value because Miami and Oakland are in dire need of a new QB...and they might see it better to trade late round pick(s) rather to duel with each other if/when he's cut and becomes a free agent who can essentially RAMP UP his salary as he sees fit.

It can happen, IMO.

quicksilver
03-22-2007, 01:09 AM
It seems odd to me how many people view this as "other teams" playing chicken against the Texans for Carr. I would think, rather, that these "other teams" have to worry about one another when they consider what price they're willing to pay for Carr.

If Oakland wants Calvin Johnson with the 1st pick in the draft, they need to have a QB, unless they're happy with Kolb (or whoever they rank QB#3 this year) at the top of the 2nd round. (I'll be very surprised if Kolb isn't gone by the start of the 3rd round.)

I think Detroit would rather have Joe Thomas than Quinn, assuming Oakland takes Russell. I don't know how happy they are with Kitna, but I don't think Martz will view Carr as intelligent enough to run his offense.

Cleveland should be content with Russell or Quinn, I'd think, unless they want Peterson at RB.

Washington? Who'll backup/eventually succeed Brunell? Jason Campbell? The 'skins may not be able to afford Carr's base salary, though.

Minnesota? Surely Tavaris Jackson isn't who they'll depend on.

Miami wants someone who can cover for Culpepper with his uncertain injury/recovery situation, and it looks like their deal for Trent Green isn't gonna fly.

My point is that there is every reason to believe several teams would be interested in adding Carr, and they have to be concerned another team will outbid them.

Edit: I took freakin' forever to type this out, and then saw that gpshafer was thinking in many ways along similar lines. He makes a very good point that if teams wait for Carr to be cut, they'll be in a more wild and woolly game to land him.

GP
03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
It seems odd to me how many people view this as "other teams" playing chicken against the Texans for Carr. I would think, rather, that these "other teams" have to worry about one another when they consider what price they're willing to pay for Carr.

If Oakland wants Calvin Johnson with the 1st pick in the draft, they need to have a QB, unless they're happy with Kolb (or whoever they rank QB#3 this year) at the top of the 2nd round. (I'll be very surprised if Kolb isn't gone by the start of the 3rd round.)

I think Detroit would rather have Joe Thomas than Quinn, assuming Oakland takes Russell. I don't know how happy they are with Kitna, but I don't think Martz will view Carr as intelligent enough to run his offense.

Cleveland should be content with Russell or Quinn, I'd think, unless they want Peterson at RB.

Washington? Who'll backup/eventually succeed Brunell? Jason Campbell? The 'skins may not be able to afford Carr's base salary, though.

Minnesota? Surely Tavaris Jackson isn't who they'll depend on.

Miami wants someone who can cover for Culpepper with his uncertain injury/recovery situation, and it looks like their deal for Trent Green isn't gonna fly.

My point is that there is every reason to believe several teams would be interested in adding Carr, and they have to be concerned another team will outbid them.

Teams are going to panic when they think about drafting a newbie QB (Brady Quinn) when they can go a different route and add someone else with their high draft pick while also acquiring an NFL vet at QB (Carr).

AND, in case people missed it: We did the same thing today by getting Schaub rather than gambling on a college QB. Now we can draft for another need at a position that will probably be a bigger "sure thing" to be a starter from day one, not 2-3 years down the road like you see with new QBs out of college.

I think Brady Quinn drops like Aaron Rodgers did. I think teams get panicky on him and will want to do business with us before the draft.

O.G.
03-22-2007, 07:21 AM

I also agree with that. Teams can call Carr's agent and tell them that they are interested in him. All Carr has to say is that he doesn't want to restructure his contract and the Texans will be forced to either pay him that 5+ mil a year or release him. Once releasing him, he can sign with any team. That is what I think will happen. That and with the Texans picking at 10, they will be on the phones trying to trade back again for a late 2 or early 3rd.

texans83
03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I hope everyone realizes that we will most likley have to release Carr now bc no team will want to give up any draft picks for him now that they know we have our qb for the future and that we cant afford two high paid qb on our roster. I heard on 610 this morning that teams are going to start calling Carrs agent and if they want them they are going to say were game or we are interested, so that means all Carr has to do is wait till then bc if he waits he will most likely get to pick where he wants to go. This just sucks I think Smith paniced and knew he had to get something done bc Carr could not be here next year. I dont know how I feel about this trade yet only time will tell but I dont think they approched it the right way. I would like to get your feedback.

Tayton
03-22-2007, 07:38 AM
If he waits he'll have to renegotiate a contract.

coachdent
03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't think there is anywhere in the country where you would find someone saying that Sage Rosenfelds was worth a SECOND ROUND pick and David Carr wasn't worth a SEVENTH! :joker:

:shots: My wife is right... I spend too much time on these boards sometimes!

TEXANRED
03-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Every team knows he will get released now. Why would anybody trade for him?

texas mopar
03-22-2007, 07:51 AM
I hope everyone realizes that we will most likley have to release Carr now bc no team will want to give up any draft picks for him now that they know we have our qb for the future and that we cant afford two high paid qb on our roster. I heard on 610 this morning that teams are going to start calling Carrs agent and if they want them they are going to say were game or we are interested, so that means all Carr has to do is wait till then bc if he waits he will most likely get to pick where he wants to go. This just sucks I think Smith paniced and knew he had to get something done bc Carr could not be here next year. I dont know how I feel about this trade yet only time will tell but I dont think they approched it the right way. I would like to get your feedback.

I hope Matt turns out to be a great QB anything less and we've giving way to much for him, I can't help but think of what we gave up in this draft. and next year!!!! And we gave him a huge contract to a QB who has not won an starting job in the NFL . That said I'm a Texan fan and will be pulling for Matt to succeed just like I pulled for DC.

CVTexan
03-22-2007, 07:53 AM
and in the background Steve Perry can be heard singing.......

"don't stop believing"

TexansCM
03-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Adam Schefter from NFL Network said that the Texans have shopped Carr for weeks, and there are no takers and like Joey Porter in Pittsburgh, Carr will be released soon.

Marcus
03-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Every team knows he will get released now. Why would anybody trade for him?

A lot of people are swimming in 'de nial' river thinking that some team is going actually trade a pick to the Texans for Carr's current contract. Why would Carr think about re-structuring before he's cut, when all he has to do is wait until he's released, and then choose the team he wants to play for?

Marcus
03-22-2007, 08:22 AM
:shots: My wife is right... I spend too much time on these boards sometimes!

Don't feel like you're the Lone Ranger. My wife thinks the very same thing.

wrestler4life
03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Is it me, or shouldn't we have traded Carr before we signed Schaub? I may not be a GM, but doesn't that spell trouble for us getting anything for Carr?:joker:

Wharton
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
We may not trade DC until after the season starts.

Play it cool, show off his talents against 2nd stringers in preseason, wait for someone to get injured or a team with a good defense and a lousy QB (Miami) to lose a few game. Then see if they'll pony up picks.

Vinny
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I think some of you guys are swimming in the DeNile river as to the worth of one DC. Nobody really wants to give anything for a broken QB guy with that big a cap hit....before, during and after the adding of rico Shaub-e to the team.

real
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
LOL.....

It doesn't matter....

Porky
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
I think some of you guys are swimming in the DeNile river as to the worth of one DC. Nobody really wants to give anything for a broken QB guy with that big a cap hit.

Some people are a King of Hearts short of a full deck. :joker:

Blu
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Is it me, or shouldn't we have traded Carr before we signed Schaub? I may not be a GM, but doesn't that spell trouble for us getting anything for Carr?:joker:
If anything that might have made Atl want a 1st rd pick either this yr or next instead of a 2nd.

UHHEAVEN
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
DC is damaged goods.

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Per Rick Smith at the Press Conference, David will be traded within the next few days, possibly even this afternoon.

Now, I know that part of this is GM speak to keep the Carr market up, but it is still refreshing to hear that there is still some likelyhood that we can still get something for Carr.

I just wonder who that team is going to be.
I would say three of the possibilities(to nobodys suprise) are Oakland, Vikings, and the Dolphins. I think that he would only be going to any one of those teams as a backup.

What do you guys think?

real
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
He actually said that ?

bigbrewster2000
He actually said that ?

Yes he did

real
And I pray to sweet momma maria that he gets traded to the Vikings.

texansturningthecorner
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Per Rick Smith at the Press Conference, David will be traded within the next few days, possibly even this afternoon.

Now, I know that part of this is GM speak to keep the Carr market up, but it is still refreshing to hear that there is still some likelyhood that we can still get something for Carr.

I would say three of the possibilities(to nobodys suprise) are Oakland, Vikings, and the Dolphins. I think that he would only be going to any one of those teams as a backup.

What do you guys think?

i have heard alot of talk about the dolphins being interested on the radio and nfl

real
Yes he did

Wow...

gjmac2
I posted this in another thread, and I think it makes sense....

I still think the three way trade with Oakland and Green Bay is still the Texans Best option.

Oakland sends Moss to GB
Green Bay sends 2nd round pick to Houston
Houston sends Carr to Oakland

It frees Oakland to take Calvin Johnson, and frees them from Moss.
Green Bay makes one more run with Farve by giving him a strong wr, Moss
Houston gets back in the 2nd round.

Everybody wins!

:yahoo: :woot2

awtysst

What do you guys think?

I like his honesty, but why did he say it? I mean now teams that are interested can sit back and wait till May 31st and he is cut before they offer us anything.

texan_fan_8

I personally think we did it in conjunction and why its to be announced today or tomorrow.

They didn't say okay now that we got our new QB we'll get rid of the old one. I think this all was done togather.

phantom17
If this true, I hope it's at least for a 4th rdr, hell, a 6th rdr would still be OK by me!:elmo: A bag of chips & a 3liter diet coke in not acceptable!:elmo: :elmo:

TEXANRED
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I think some of you guys are swimming in the DeNile river as to the worth of one DC. Nobody really wants to give anything for a broken QB guy with that big a cap hit....before, during and after the adding of rico Shaub-e to the team.

Ha Ha Rico Shaub-e.

I hope they don't play that song when they are being intoduced.

Mr. White
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
And I pray to sweet momma maria that he gets traded to the Vikings.

Just curious...Why the Vikings?

Looks like it'll be the Raiders to me.

nunusguy
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
He actually said that ?
He did, and said it in a matter-of-fact, confidant manner.
I'll believe it when I see it.

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I like his honesty, but why did he say it? I mean now teams that are interested can sit back and wait till May 31st and he is cut before they offer us anything.

Why would a team sit back and wait if they thought he may be traded soon?

texansturningthecorner
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM

hopefully they have high hopes on a team wanting to go a certain way in the draft and taking carr in order to go that route ala okland and calvin johnson

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I posted this in another thread, and I think it makes sense....

I still think the three way trade with Oakland and Green Bay is still the Texans Best option.

Oakland sends Moss to GB
Green Bay sends 2nd round pick to Houston
Houston sends Carr to Oakland

It frees Oakland to take Calvin Johnson, and frees them from Moss.
Green Bay makes one more run with Farve by giving him a strong wr, Moss
Houston gets back in the 2nd round.

Everybody wins!

:yahoo: :woot2

Pipe dream

We will not get a 2nd for Carr.

jvaldez1984
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM

If he didn't have that fat contract that McNair gave him, there might be a market for him.

so true...everything is about dollars and cents...no one will take his contract...whoever wants him will wait til he is cut (cuz it will happen) and save some money...

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I create my first thread and it gets melded into another one. I guess I need to be more original

real
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Just curious...Why the Vikings?

Looks like it'll be the Raiders to me.

Because I think the Vikings would give up more for him....

The Raiders can draft Russel or Quinn, so I don't think they'd want to give up as much...

And also they have a rookie(about to be a sophmore) QB that I'm very high on....I think David Carr will end up losing the starting job and provide quality depth behind my boy.

:joker:

gjmac2
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Pipe dream

We will not get a 2nd for Carr.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

:joker: :elmo:

Seriously, I do think we can get a higher pick if we go this route as oppossed to just straight up trading Carr, IMO.

DoCRoN
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Ha Ha Rico Shaub-e.

I hope they don't play that song when they are being intoduced.

Rico Shaub-e (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7hEh4padQ)

The Pencil Neck
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
so true...everything is about dollars and cents...no one will take his contract...whoever wants him will wait til he is cut (cuz it will happen) and save some money...

If multiple teams want him, then they only way to insure that they get him is to trade for him. That means we get something for him.

If there's only one team that wants him, and they KNOW they're the only team that wants him, that's the only situation where they can sit back and wait for him to be cut.

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey, I can dream, can't I?

:joker: :elmo:

Seriously, I do think we can get a higher pick if we go this route as oppossed to just straight up trading Carr, IMO.

I guess I should put it this way, Do you think Carr is worth Moss straight up?
Because that is how it works out for Oakland. I would think that it would work out that Oakland gets Greenbay's 2nd and then we would get a 3rd or
4th from Oakland.

Mr. White
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Because I think the Vikings would give up more for him....

The Raiders can draft Russel or Quinn, so I don't think they'd want to give up as much...

Makes sense but there's also that thing about Al Davis not liking rookie QB's. Also feeds into my thinking that it's the Raiders.

Not to mention that there's been some movement with their QB's this week...

Specnatz
03-22-2007, 01:43 PM

Save money? possibly but if Carr is released do you not for see more than one team going after his services? Raiders, Vikings, Cleveland (even if they go after one in the draft), Detroit (same as cleveland), and Miami. A lot of teams would also inquire about him for a back up role, like NE and Carolina.

So a team would trade for him to insure that they have his services and not want to go through a bidding war with other teams and be left with nothing. there are no QBs out in the market right now. I do not see Houston getting a second but I do see them getting a third, easily.

Along the lines of the Moss draft I could see a trade down scenario, in which houston moves to GB 's 16 and they get the 10th, we get there second and Raiders get Carr and GB gets Moss. and because of the move down we also get Raiders 3rd.

(The second and third could be one of them is for next year).

There are a lot of possibilities and scenarios that could happen in the next 24 hours, a lot of people who do not like Carr just thinks because they do not like him that no one does, which I feel is wrong.

Tailgate
03-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Here is a list of suitors from Len Pasquarelli

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2807996

gjmac2
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
I guess I should put it this way, Do you think Carr is worth Moss straight up?
Because that is how it works out for Oakland. I would think that it would work out that Oakland gets Greenbay's 2nd and then we would get a 3rd or
4th from Oakland.

Depends on 2 things:

1. How bad does Oakland want Moss out.
2. How bad does Oakland want Calvin Johnson.

To answer your question, no, I don't think Carr is worth Moss straight up. But the way I look at it, Oakland has a choice of getting a fairly young QB with some baggage and the best WR prospect to come along in quite awhile, or draft a rookie qb, and take your chances on what you can get for Moss, a 30 year old WR.

My proposal allows the raiders to keep their draft picks, and still fill a position of need. I could be wrong (probably am), but it makes sense to me. On the other hand, it could be a pipe dream.

Errant Hothy
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Here is a list of suitors from Len Pasquarelli

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2807996

<Loves teh fact that Tampa Bay is on teh list.

michaelm
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM
My wife is right... I spend too much time on these boards sometimes!

I just turn my laptop where she can't see the screen and tell her I'm looking at porn... makes her feel better.

</joke>

yourfavoritetexan42
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I would love a Carr for Briggs trade... and then maybe we can give upanother like 5th rounder or something.

Blake
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Well if we did what you are saying, you would come back and say that trading Carr before we got a new QB gave the Falcons the upper hand, making us pay more.

Damned if you do. Damned if you dont.

Just hope that we get something far for Carr.

Blake
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I would love a Carr for Briggs trade... and then maybe we can give upanother like 5th rounder or something.

Who wouldnt love that?

Answers: Bear's Fans.

Dont hold your breath. If we get anything, it will be a draft pick, with a condition about his playing time. 4th rounder, that can be a 3rd if he starts 5 games.

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Or more like the rest of the draft. Why would Chicago trade one of their best players for a broke backup and a 5th?

MATRIX
03-22-2007, 02:07 PM
The hot rumor on 610 AM is:

Carr to the Raiders for a 2nd. Followed by Houston trading down afew more spots in the 1st to get 2 1st RD players and get back a 2nd.

So, the draft would look like this:

RD 1

Pick say 15

Pick say 27

Rd 2

Rd 3

Rd 4

rd 5

Ect.

The rumor I guess has us dealing wih the Patriots who have 2 1sts. That I would go for, as this draft is dep at OL, DL, CB and S...and we could also probably land a franchise back in the 1st(if we have 2 picks) like Lynch or Bush(he is healed up and would work perfect).

dalemurphy
If multiple teams want him, then they only way to insure that they get him is to trade for him. That means we get something for him.

If there's only one team that wants him, and they KNOW they're the only team that wants him, that's the only situation where they can sit back and wait for him to be cut.

Try and follow this: I think he'll end up being traded to Oakland...

David wants to be in Oakland. So, as long as Houston can get Carr traded somewhere else (like Minnesota) for anything, including a 7th rounder... then, they can go to David and say, "if you restructure your contract so that Oakland is more motivated to give us what we want in a trade, we'll send you there instead of Minnesota. Otherwise, we will send you north. So, David works a cap-friendly deal in Oakland that increases Carr's value and that's how we end up with their third plus a second day pick or a conditional one.

What do you think?

Jaytrajik
i don't care if we get a case of beer for Carr ... the model is defective so good riddance

kastofsna
i'd take a 4th for carr. people don't realize how valuable those 4th round picks are. lots of guys that were 2nd rounders fall to the 4th for various injury concerns and other details, like perhaps they're not physically on par with other players at that position. i'd venture a guess that you'll find just as many stars from the 4th round over the years as from the 3rd round. so if you get a 4th, fall all over it.

kastofsna
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
one of the big rumors here in tampa:

houston sends carr to the bucs, the bucs ship chris simms to the vikings or raiders. makes a lot of sense all the way around.

real
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Try and follow this: I think he'll end up being traded to Oakland...

David wants to be in Oakland. So, as long as Houston can get Carr traded somewhere else (like Minnesota) for anything, including a 7th rounder... then, they can go to David and say, "if you restructure your contract so that Oakland is more motivated to give us what we want in a trade, we'll send you there instead of Minnesota. Otherwise, we will send you north. So, David works a cap-friendly deal in Oakland that increases Carr's value and that's how we end up with their third plus a second day pick or a conditional one.

What do you think?

I like the way you think.

WILLIEG
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Just wondering how many teams out ther need a veteran Qb like Carr? To my knowledge there are at least 3 teams i've heard of looking for a QB...Oakland, Kansas City, and Clevland. If anyone else knows about more teams shopping around for a Qb please feel free to inform me as to who else might be in the mix for a veteran Qb like Carr.

Cupps
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Like most, I don't care WHAT we get for Carr, as long as we don't walk away empty-handed. That said, I'm not naive enough to think that we'd be getting a 2nd Rounder for him, that's just silly.

Also, according to KFFL (usually reliable), Rick Smith announced that Carr will be traded as soon as this afternoon and a Miami Herald writer has reported that the Dolphins are talking about trading for him.

Miami, Oakland, I don't really care where he goes as long as we can avoid cutting him.

Blake
03-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I would rather just pick up a 2008 2nd rounder.

I wouldnt mind trading down in the first round either, if the right offer was there.

I dont think there is much of a drop off from 8-10, and even 10-18.

HuttoKarl
03-22-2007, 02:53 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=37038

The first post on that thread (by Carr's brother) seems to show that Oakland and Houston have something on the table but Houston wanted a vet QB first.

Well...there we have it.

Carr to Oakland...give it a bit of time and it's happening.

kiwitexansfan
03-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Lets make this pitch to Al Davis.

"Hey Al, How about trading your #1 for David Carr? He was worth the #1 overall when he was drafted and now he has NFL experience, surely that increases his value. So you'd actually be getting a bargain."

Marcus
03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Miami, Oakland, I don't really care where he goes as long as we can avoid cutting him.

Even if a team suddenly hires Charley Casserly as their next GM, that team is not stupid enough to give up a draft pick for the right to assume David's contract, not a as backup QB.

Prepare yourself. It's gonna happen. I don't care what Rick Smith said today.

Specnatz
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Even if a team suddenly hires Charley Casserly as their next GM, that team is not stupid enough to give up a draft pick for the right to assume David's contract, not a as backup QB.

And of course you know more than the GM because you drink your beer from a bottle while watching all the games.

Marcus
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
And of course you know more than the GM because you drink your beer from a bottle while watching all the games.

(belch) (beer fart) (belch) Why, of course I do! :blowakiss:

VICKTMS
03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't think LaRon will be there at #10 but if he is it will be a blessing for us.

ACTUALLY, we(the Falcons) will be taking Landry...if not, its bc we got joe thomas or...i hope i hope...CALVIN JOHNSON thanks to your 2nd rounder. Schaub is good, but you guys over paid for him and we will punish you when we play...in fact Landry might pick a couple off!!!!:dance2: :yahoo:

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Except for the fact that Feeley had played very little (7 games, 5 started according to here: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235056), kind of like Schaub, while Carr has started almost all of 5 years, and has not looked remotely good the past 2. It's not all his fault, especially 2005, but after last year, especially the last 10 games, I can't see any team saying "Wow, he's performed well enough, has enough potential, and is confident enough in the pocket to be worth a first day pick."

Agreed: If the Raiders truly want DC like hulk75 said, all they have to do is wait. We get anthing for DC...more than a fifth rounder for him, Smith did prety well. When is his next payment due ? Smith says he has teams lined up . We'll see.

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Agreed. Well said pass one over to me. Big Al loves a bargin as much as he loves seeing someone twisting in the wind.

kcwilson
03-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Maybe the hold up in announcing a trade is the discussions with Carr about restructuring so he can go somewhere, like Oakland, where he stands a good chance of starting. I don't see the incentive for him to do so... but you never know. At his current salary, he won't be a backup anywhere...

...and if he gets cut, well, that is jumping off point for negotiation and he likely gets backup money with incentives for starting and performance. He and his agent might be better off to just reduce the money overall to keep most of the salary guarnateed and be a starter in someplace like Oakland.

SamuraiSword
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I have two questions........I believe the Raiders are after Carr. The question is, what is he worth? Moss could be in the discussion because the Raiders were willing to give him up for a 4th rounder. Thats a possible option but I dont want Moss because of his attitued but thats just me. My personal opinion is that we try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Carr since we gave away so many draft picks for Schaub. What do you think? My second question is would Levi Brown or Reggie Nelson be a good choice at #10? Because now the Falcons will get LaRon Landry.

I don't know what they would give us, but its time to pony up because the raiders owe us....How about swapping a number 10 and the number 1 plus a 2nd round. :elmo:

kcwilson
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't know what they would give us, but its time to pony up because they owe us....How about swapping a number 10 and the number 1 plus a 2nd round. :elmo:

that will never happen.

Errant Hothy
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM

houston sends carr to the bucs, the bucs ship chris simms to the vikings or raiders. makes a lot of sense all the way around.

Besides dumping DC's contract what does Houston get from that deal?

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Maybe the hold up in announcing a trade is the discussions with Carr about restructuring so he can go somewhere, like Oakland, where he stands a good chance of starting. I don't see the incentive for him to do so... but you never know. At his current salary, he won't be a backup anywhere...

...and if he gets cut, well, that is jumping off point for negotiation and he likely gets backup money with incentives for starting and performance. He and his agent might be better off to just reduce the money overall to keep most of the salary guarnateed and be a starter in someplace like Oakland.

There ya go. Rep your way. Why would Al Davis or anyone bail us out of that contract ? I can't see it. What's the back up QB price for '06 about 2 million ? Got four million reasons to wait in Oakland on the cut.

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 03:16 PM

Who eats DC's salary ? And you're not suggesting that Houston is going to walk away with picks in this palyer for player swap either are you ?

mimartin
03-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Besides dumping DC's contract what does Houston get from that deal?

The real question is what does Tampa Bay get in the deal?

Dumping that contract would be enough for the Texans. If Houston can get rid of most of that way over priced contract they would be doing well (not likely to happen). Maybe they could spend the savings on their first choice in the draft (instead of settling for their second or third choice that will sign for what they are offering).

awtysst
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM

No. Briggs would not be a good fit here. He is too much of a "me first mentality" and has said he wants to be da man. He wouldnt be da man in htown.

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM

Great, and we probably don't really care what you are saying right now.

dalemurphy
03-22-2007, 03:34 PM
The real question is what does Tampa Bay get in the deal?

Dumping that contract would be enough for the Texans. If Houston can get rid of most of that way over priced contract they would be doing well (not likely to happen). Maybe they could spend the savings on their first choice in the draft (instead of settling for their second or third choice that will sign for what they are offering).

Whether Carr is cut or traded the cap hit is the same. The remainder of the bonus will count against the cap this year (if it happens before june 1) and we won't be responsible for any of the salary.

awtysst
03-22-2007, 03:34 PM

So Houston sends carr to the the dolphins and get nothing in return?!

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
The best move is to trade him to a team on the schedule, that way it's an easy win.

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Oakland 2007: 71 sacks. He will take that number to 100+.

KC: he would be a fit there becasue they don't have much in the way of WR's. Carr couldn't hurt them with his awful play.

CLE: They aren't going anywhere anytime soon so he would love that gig. He could fool them for another 5 years and steal their $.

kcwilson
03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
QUESTION: "How many teams need a QB? "
ANSWER: All of them.

TexanAddict
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
SI.com ran a story today about teams with QB questions (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/03/22/qb.controversies/index.html). I think the most likely teams are Raiders, Browns, and Vikings.

nunusguy
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Anybody catch NFL Live today on ESPN ? Floyd Reese, X Titans GM was on
and he had some interesting comments about all of this.
First off he was highly complimenatary of Schaub, and he gave some specifics. He said a few years ago when Schaub was a rookie the Titans had an inter squad scrimmage with the Falcons, and got a good look at MG at that time. Said the guy had a good arm, liked his size, and he was a composed QB.
And regarding Carr, said he was a little surprised that the Texans picked up
his option when they had "those 3 QBs" in last years Draft. Maybe a little dig
from a former Texans component ? Or maybe just a candid observation from another NFL guy who was puzzled about the Texans loyalty to Carr given
the alternatives in the Draft ?

LORK 88
03-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Heres to hoping this is the last David Carr thread this forum EVER sees (but deep down I know it can't be true). Anyways, I think this puts us at a bit of a disadvantage however because teams now know that we need to get rid of Carr (we dont have to, but why should we keep that much money?). With that said, I think its wishful thinking to get a 3rd, but think a 4th is a solid asking price. Everyone in the media seems to have his back for a change, so hopefully his hype and intrigue can get built up. I'll say Oakland for their 4th so they can take CJ.

Texans34Life
03-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I hope we can pull off a trade.

If I'm most teams, I would wait til' he's cut and then let the Texans take a hit salary wise.

But I'm not most teams.....hopefully Oakland, Minnesota or Miami will be stupid enough to trade w/ us.

Texans34Life
03-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Preparing myself w/ a cold beer and my future Matt Schaub jersey.

:poker: :superman:

Specnatz
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Oakland 2007: 71 sacks. He will take that number to 100+.

KC: he would be a fit there becasue they don't have much in the way of WR's. Carr couldn't hurt them with his awful play.

CLE: They aren't going anywhere anytime soon so he would love that gig. He could fool them for another 5 years and steal their $.

KC has Damon Huard and for now Trent Green

michaelm
03-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Agreed: If the Raiders truly want DC like hulk75 said, all they have to do is wait. We get anthing for DC...more than a fifth rounder for him, Smith did prety well. When is his next payment due ? Smith says he has teams lined up . We'll see.

Unless we just extend our middle finger to them and trade him to another team for a 2008 7th rounder, and say "that's what you get for waiting..."

Of course, my scenario doesn't account for another team assuming his contract, but wouldn't it be fun to flip off the Raiders?

bigbrewster2000
03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I hope we can pull off a trade.

If I'm most teams, I would wait til' he's cut and then let the Texans take a hit salary wise.

But I'm not most teams.....hopefully Oakland, Minnesota or Miami will be stupid enough to trade w/ us.

We take a hit on the cap regardless, so here's to hoping we get something for it.

Honoring Earl 34
03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Unless we just extend our middle finger to them and trade him to another team for a 2008 7th rounder, and say "that's what you get for waiting..."

Of course, my scenario doesn't account for another team assuming his contract, but wouldn't it be fun to flip off the Raiders?

If Carr becomes a FA .... why would he pick the Raiders ?

I guess because it's in California .... they don't have the 1st pick on accident .

HOU-TEX
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
KC has Damon Huard and for now Trent Green

They also have Brodie Croyle from Bama. He's fairly decent.

Koolaid Time
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Could someone please explain how the "conditional pick" system works? I know its incentive/achievement based.. but what are the loopholes?

infantrycak
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Could someone please explain how the "conditional pick" system works? I know its incentive/achievement based.. but what are the loopholes?

The teams just have to agree to conditions and the pick would be for next year. Something like it is a minimum 5th which can become a 4th if Carr throws for 2500+ yds or 16+ TD's and a 3rd if he goes over 3000 yds.

NRowl
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
It cold be any deal that would change compensation due to any factor.

ie... Someone may offer a 5th round pick in 2008, but if David starts atleast 10 games or throws for at least 3000 yards next season we would instead get a 2nd round draft pick. Or if he meets certain criteria we would get the 5th and a 4th round pick.

I got beat on the draw.

TexansCM
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
The problem with teams just waiting around for David to get cut is this. He is fair game for all teams once cut and if he is cut it will be after the draft. So look at it from the Raiders point of view. Lock up a QB now, and then they have more options on draft day. If they wait, another team could sign him or they draft CJ and have Walters throwing to him. There are teams out there that want Carr, I think his value went down a little bit by the Schaub signing, but there is still a market for him as long as he has 2 teams looking at him, the Texans will get at least a fourth for him, probably a third.

DocBar
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
No. Briggs would not be a good fit here. He is too much of a "me first mentality" and has said he wants to be da man. He wouldnt be da man in htown. He could be Da Man if Demeco SAYS he can be Da Man, but NOT before!!!!

texan_fan_8
03-22-2007, 05:08 PM
It cold be any deal that would change compensation due to any factor.

ie... Someone may offer a 5th round pick in 2008, but if David starts atleast 10 games or throws for at least 3000 yards next season we would instead get a 2nd round draft pick. Or if he meets certain criteria we would get the 5th and a 4th round pick.

I got beat on the draw.

I wouldn't count on any of those picks.

Jwwillis
03-22-2007, 05:11 PM
A trade is in the works and I don't care what we get. Anything is good. My only fear is, if the o-line doesn't improve MS won't be able to get outa the way fast enough.

DoCRoN
03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
QUESTION: "How many teams need a QB? "
ANSWER: All of them.

No one else seemed to appreciate the humor here, so I'll give you some props.

texanskan
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
If McNair steped in and told Kubs to draft VY what could we have gotten for Carr then?

I am not trying to bring something up that we all want to move on from but with us not getting anything for Carr I just want to hear what ya'll think we could of had a year ago?

Seņor Stan
03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
If McNair steped in and told Kubs to draft VY what could we have gotten for Carr then?

I am not trying to bring something up that we all want to move on from but with us not getting anything for Carr I just want to hear what ya'll think we could of had a year ago?

They could have had more money to sign other players. The only way to keep David last year was to exercise his option or franchise him. They couldn't just trade him.

rascous
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I just can't believe DC was released and the Texans get zilch for him. He'll be picked up by another team by next week. I would love to see some team like the Panthers take him. Maybe even the Falcons as a back up to Vick? Wouldn't that be funny? :yahoo:

Cupps
03-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I just can't believe DC was released and the Texans get zilch for him. He'll be picked up by another team by next week. I would love to see some team like the Panthers take him. Maybe even the Falcons as a back up to Vick? Wouldn't that be funny? :yahoo:

Falcons just signed Chris "Huge Bust Out of Louisville" Redman, since he's buddy-buddy with the new coach.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Still a funny thought, though.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 02:32 AM
And so it goes. Got zilch. Told ya. See who picks him off of waivers now .

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 02:34 AM

We don't need no stinking draft picks. At least now they don't have the pressure of hitting a decent second round guy for a couple of years. We can talk about how good Demeco is for the next three years.