PDA

View Full Version : Pasquarelli: Carr Has Cost Texans Dearly

Tulip
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Haven't even read it yet - just posted as the headliner of the NFL section.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2807456

QB75
03-21-2007, 06:01 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2807456

Typical hatchet job by Pasquarelli. The Texans cost themselves in this. Can't wait to see where Carr goes.

rickyb
03-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical hatchet job by Pasquarelli. The Texans cost themselves in this. Can't wait to see where Carr goes.

Both the Texans and Carr would benefit from a change.
For the haters: Texans win.
For the supporters: Carr wins.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 06:08 PM
he hits the nail on the head. Today the Texans faced up to a massive blunder last year as we bring in Schaub.
A quick accounting indicates that, beyond the time invested in attempting to elevate Carr to franchise quarterback status, the Texans have also paid him slightly more than $35 million. That's more than $7 million per season for an average of 4.4 victories in that stretch, or roughly $1.6 million per win.

Earlier this month, Texans owner Bob McNair was rated by Forbes Magazine as one of the 400 richest Americans, with a net worth of $1.5 billion. If McNair keeps making such lousy investments, he's going to fall out of that elite group and into the poor house.

McNair, though, is essentially the lone remaining member of the braintrust that opted to choose Carr with the top pick in the 2002 draft and then, rather dubiously, to compound the rather dubious decision by paying him the $8 million "buyback" bonus last spring. General manager Charlie Casserly is gone. Ditto head coach Dom Capers and offensive coordinator Chris Palmer.

Known for his prowess in developing quarterbacks, Kubiak didn't hand pick Carr to be his guy, but rather inherited him when he succeeded Capers a year ago. Translation: Because he wasn't responsible for the selection, there was no inherent loyalty to the veteran quarterback.

No matter how many good things Kubiak said about Carr, the words were always going to ring hollow because the new coach could never be held culpable for an expensive decision gone bad.

nunusguy
03-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Well put.
All parties need, and apparently have gotten a change of scenery.
I suppose the Carr-haters will now instantly become Schaubs biggest fans.
And Carrs fans will instantly become Schaub-haters.

dirty steve
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
sounds like an "I told you so" about picking up the option last year and jumping ship a year later. i was willing to give kubes ONE YEAR to at least get carr to show that he can just be an average Qb in the NFL. but, fo what ever reason, carr seemed to regress with the best circumstances he has ever had to succeed. that is why it felt, to me, that it was time to move on.

2BCF
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Can't wait to see where Carr goes.
Don't care where he goes, as long as he goes.
Hopefully you'll go with him. He'll be a backup QB from this day forth. Get used to it.

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
You're david carr and i claim my $5.

Marcus
03-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I always been curious about something.

If Hulk75 is supposed to be his brother Darren, WTF is QB75?

Father, maybe? Not Melody, I hope.:)

Double Barrel
03-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Interesting article. That we are giving up two second round picks makes me wonder how bad the FO wants to move Carr. With all the holes we have to fill, those picks are valuable to this team. Obviously, they did not value them as much as getting another QB to take over.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
I always been curious about something.

If Hulk75 is supposed to be his brother Darren, WTF is QB75?

Father, maybe? Not Melody, I hope.:)

they claim to have no affiliation....in other news, they also claimed the sky was purple

mexican_texan
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Look away from the man behind the curtain.

Reddevil63
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM

Well put, Im going to follow Carr where he ends up regardless. He was the face of the first NFL franchise I followed religiously so naturally I hate to see him go, but its in the best interest of both parties.

YoungTexanFan
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Ok. I'm late getting into this whole trade. I don't know quite yet how I feel. I love the draft more than anything so I'm a bit upset.

I do have one question:

Did we actually get rid of Carr through a trade or by cutting him, or is he still on our roster for a potential trade?

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok. I'm late getting into this whole trade. I don't know quite yet how I feel. I love the draft more than anything so I'm a bit upset.

I do have one question:

Did we actually get rid of Carr through a trade or by cutting him, or is he still on our roster for a potential trade?

still here as of now, but you have to figure he's gone soon

TexansSB07

[QUOTE=Tulip;634223]Haven't even read it yet - just posted as the headliner of the NFL section.

I've said it once, I will say it a thousand times, would be more inclined to trust John McClain and his man crushes..then Pasquerelli (who picked Dallas Cowboys to win it all in 2006)...Pasquerellli is a M-O-R-O-N

hollywood_texan
Interesting article. That we are giving up two second round picks makes me wonder how bad the FO wants to move Carr. With all the holes we have to fill, those picks are valuable to this team. Obviously, they did not value them as much as getting another QB to take over.
Either that or McNair pushed the issue of having a marketable QB. That's my guess.

I would have opted for getting rid of Carr, let Sage run the show next year and see what shakes out.

Moves like this are too expensive, and even more expensive when trying to pick up the pieces from a previous bad decision.

Schuab is the starter for the next 3 years or so, like it or not.

Kubiak/Smith effectively went all in. I don't see how they recover from this decision if Shuab can't carry the Texans offense.

Reddevil63
Carr is still a Texan at the moment

TexansSeminole

I was thinking the same thing...as if changing the attitude and face of the team is more important at this point.

dirty steve
03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
i just have to think they have the framework of a deal done with somebody contingent on the Schaub deal.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I know some people hate the idea, but i'd have to imagine Carr to Oakland for Moss is going to happen

YoungTexanFan
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, since Carr is still a Texan, we should be able to get at least a 3rd for him. With Schaub gone, that is one less QB available. While our position of power has passed, Carr is now the top QB available.

BattleRedToro
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Can't wait to see you go.

There is no need to be viscious to other members of the message board, no matter who they are.

nunusguy
03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
No matter how many good things Kubiak said about Carr, the words were always going to ring hollow because the new coach could never be held culpable for an expensive decision gone bad. With a one-season body of evidence on which to assess Carr -- and watching a guy from the sideline always offers more empirical wisdom than viewing him on video -- Kubiak could jettison the quarterback and maintain a sense of personal impunity.
As only the second coach to fail to nudge Carr to stardom, Kubiak is basically exempt from all the second-guessing that accompanies such a shortcoming. McNair picks up the tab and Kubiak gets to pick up with a new quarterback. The owner lost $35 million on Carr and all Kubiak suffers is a small loss of esteem, a tiny dent in his reputation as a guy capable of molding even a modestly talented passer into a winner.
While it may be accurate, I still gotta say that's a very charitable assessment of Kubiaks participation in the decision to retain DC last year.

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
There is no need to be viscious to other members of the message board, no matter who they are.

SWT wasn't being vicious, he was outing QB75.

I know some people hate the idea, but i'd have to imagine Carr to Oakland for Moss is going to happen
I don't want that degenerate on our team.

thunderkyss
03-21-2007, 06:59 PM

I truly believe it only looks like we have "too many holes" on this team. We really aren't that far away, and don't have any more wholes than most teams in the NFL.

Being in the AFC magnifies our deficiencies, but we're as good as talented as most teams in the NFL, and more talented than many NFC teams.

TwinSisters
03-21-2007, 07:05 PM

says the demonic horned devil that wanted to eat the last known unicorn to engulf the universe in darkness for all eternity.

thunderkyss
03-21-2007, 07:12 PM

What I hate, is there should be no shadow of any doubt, that Carr will not be playing with the Texans in '07. Why trade for him, when you can sit & wait??

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
What I hate, is there should be no shadow of any doubt, that Carr will not be playing with the Texans in '07. Why trade for him, when you can sit & wait??

why compete in free agency when you can trade and lock him up....free agent money gets crazy...see clements, nate. If they want carr and can get him for a disgruntled reciever...why wouldn't they pull the trigger?

Marcus
03-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Man, I don't know you're smoking SWT, but want you to sell me 10 pounds of it ASAP!

NFLforher
03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
SWT wasn't being vicious, he was outing QB75 .

There is no reason to believe that QB75 is gay.

In addition, not every poster who supports DC is a family member.

swtbound07
Man, I don't know you're smoking SWT, but want you to sell me 10 pounds of it ASAP!

acquiring veteran number 2 recievers with spotty personal histories seems to be a specialty of this regime. Moulds had 4 wives and 3 kids or something like that. Look at the evidence

Reports that Oakland was willing to do a straight swap for aaron rodgers
the cap numbers being so similar
our lack of a true #2
Oaklands reported interest in Carr

Double Barrel
I truly believe it only looks like we have "too many holes" on this team. We really aren't that far away, and don't have any more wholes than most teams in the NFL.

Being in the AFC magnifies our deficiencies, but we're as good as talented as most teams in the NFL, and more talented than many NFC teams.

I'm thinking the same thing, man. As much as one great player can elevate his team, another mediocre player can bring them down. I really won't be all that surprised when our offensive line is a lot better in 2007 with many of the same players. Bad QB decisions can make a line look terrible.

NFLforher
03-21-2007, 07:27 PM

Gone very soon. I hope Matt turns out to be a good QB and the team improves with the FA signings. Texans fans deserve improvement.

Pantherstang84
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Gone very soon. I hope Matt turns out to be a good QB and the team improves with the FA signings. Texans fans deserve improvement.

Well. I'm going to be a man about the whole thing and wish Carr good luck in his future. I can't imagine any other QB taking a beating like he did in the first 4 years of this franchise and still be walking and eating solid food.

That being said. It was time for a change. I just hope the "boy wonder" backup turns out to be a decent QB for the Texans.

I just hope his first win as a starter comes sooner rather than later.

Insideop
03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
i just have to think they have the framework of a deal done with somebody contingent on the Schaub deal.

Not sure what the deal will be for Carr, but I think we just got alot closer to picking that guy you have in your avatar! :yahoo: JMHO!

Hervoyel
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
he hits the nail on the head. Today the Texans faced up to a massive blunder last year as we bring in Schaub.

Absolutely. They had to face up to it. Does anyone think for a moment that they want to be trading a pair of 2's for Atlanta's backup QB to replace David Carr less than a year after they passed up drafting Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler? Of course not.

I bet they're hating every second of this but they realize that it's got to be done. Otherwise the Texans go nowhere and Smith/Kubiak go out the door in a couple more years just like Casserly/Capers did.

QB75
03-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Don't care where he goes, as long as he goes.
Hopefully you'll go with him. He'll be a backup QB from this day forth. Get used to it.

.... and spoken with such authority: :joker:

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
There is no reason to believe that QB75 is gay.

In addition, not every poster who supports DC is a family member.

i never called the dude gay. hopefully you were joking, since i'm way too tired to accurately judge if you were or not. :yawn:

Texanfan4ever
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
.... and spoken with such authority: :joker:

QB, just let it go. That is all you can do. I just wish Kubiak and Rick Smith were here when David was starting, and then maybe he would have had a chance.

It is what it is, but it will never feel right. In reality, you can't start a franchise with a young guy out of college.

Good luck to david. If any player EVER deserved a break, it would be David Carr. Like I've always said, yes he is rich, but his dreams have been crushed.

To David going where he can make it. I will be cheering him on.

Go David!!! Thanks for the years that you have gotten up over and over to try to help your team. You are an inspiration!!!!!!!!

Your fans here will be cheering you on in your new endeavors.

TXurias
03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
I'll support whoever the Texans start at QB. I still believe Carr can be a successfull QB and hope that we can get some compensation for him. I hate to give up our 2nd round pick for Schaub because I was hoping we could focus on our OL there. I'd like to see us take a look at Hall with the 10th pick or trade down and get Nelson.

SamuraiSword
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
QB, just let it go. That is all you can do. I just wish Kubiak and Rick Smith were here when David was starting, and then maybe he would have had a chance.
It is what it is, but it will never feel right. In reality, you can't start a franchise with a young guy out of college.

Good luck to david. If any player EVER deserved a break, it would be David Carr. Like I've always said, yes he is rich, but his dreams have been crushed.

To David going where he can make it. I will be cheering him on.

Go David!!! Thanks for the years that you have gotten up over and over to try to help your team. You are an inspiration!!!!!!!!

Your fans here will be cheering you on in your new endeavors.

IF Kubiak and Rick were running things they wouldn't have chosen Carr. They would of picked up peppers. Then signed a veteran to start the season.

Heath Shuler
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM

OK, and in other breaking news: water is wet.