PDA

View Full Version : Look at it like this..

Daonly
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Look at it like this. Schaub becomes our 2 round pick this year. Schuab> Stanton, Kolb. He's 25 years old and have has NFL experience. Some of his teammates on the Falcons wanted him to start over Vick.So in essence we give up a second rounder for Schuab in 08" and swap first rounder's. Now at #10 we don't have to hope for Peterson to be their'; That's why we signed Ahman Green. In trade discussions with Atlanta I bet they told them that their not really interested in drafting Peterson. If Peterson drops to #8 surely he can drop to #10. Would Miami trade down with Buffalo? I doubt it. Falcons not trading back down when they just traded up.

Now we don't have to reach for a player at #8 and take that same person Peterson,Landry,Nelson,Hall, Anderson at #10 and pay them #10 money instead of #8.Now with the addition of Schuab one less QB is on the market which make Carr the hottest QB on the market behind Russell and Quinn in the draft. Surely we can grab a draft pick from the Raiders, Browns, Vikings or Panthers. A 3rd rounder. So don't listen to the rest of the trolls on other MB's talking about we got screwed! We would have been screwed if we wasted another year with Carr as the starter. A lot of Fans would love to have Schuab as their QB. Raider Fans, Viking Fans, Jets Fans, Browns Fans, Etc Etc. I feel lucky to have this monkey off our back before the draft. :victory:

Shiney_McShine
03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Decent asessment of the trade and situation, however, I am unaware of any particular player from the Falcons that wanted Schaub to start over Vick, so I can not endorse that portion of your post. I do know many fans prefered Schaub, but what do fans know?...Besides drinking beer!

HOU-TEX
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Decent asessment of the trade and situation, however, I am unaware of any particular player from the Falcons that wanted Schaub to start over Vick, so I can not endorse that portion of your post. I do know many fans prefered Schaub, but what do fans know?...Besides drinking beer!

Hey, we gotta be good at something. Right?:)

dwilt72
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Look at it like this. Schaub becomes our 2 round pick this year. Schuab> Stanton, Kolb. He's 25 years old and have has NFL experience. Some of his teammates on the Falcons wanted him to start over Vick.So in essence we give up a second rounder for Schuab in 08" and swap first rounder's. Now at #10 we don't have to hope for Peterson to be their'; That's why we signed Ahman Green. In trade discussions with Atlanta I bet they told them that their not really interested in drafting Peterson. If Peterson drops to #8 surely he can drop to #10. Would Miami trade down with Buffalo? I doubt it. Falcons not trading back down when they just traded up.

Now we don't have to reach for a player at #8 and take that same person Peterson,Landry,Nelson,Hall, Anderson at #10 and pay them #10 money instead of #8.Now with the addition of Schuab one less QB is on the market which make Carr the hottest QB on the market behind Russell and Quinn in the draft. Surely we can grab a draft pick from the Raiders, Browns, Vikings or Panthers. A 3rd rounder. So don't listen to the rest of the trolls on other MB's talking about we got screwed! We would have been screwed if we wasted another year with Carr as the starter. A lot of Fans would love to have Schuab as their QB. Raider Fans, Viking Fans, Jets Fans, Browns Fans, Etc Etc. I feel lucky to have this monkey off our back before the draft. :victory:

AMEN!

kcwilson
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM

I don't buy into that fully, because you are still sacrificing two #2's for a QB. While you rationalize that the 2007 #2 gets you a QB anyways, you only spend the 2008 #2 for Schaub is silly. You still are taking a 2 for 1 approach when you think about it.

I like Schaub's upside, and this isn't a critique on the deal... time will tell, but to try to rationalize that we only gave up 1 #2 pick next year for him isn't accurate. It is still a 2 player to 1 player depth issue.

Shiney_McShine
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey, we gotta be good at something. Right?:)

Depends on the beer.....I discovered Dogfish Head and can't get enough! I also brew my own, so I am getting good at drinking beer.

afcman
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
but what do fans know?

Hell, I think we knew a LOT more than C&C. Of course, that didn't take much effort. :)

My money says Carr goes to Oakland. And they may still take Quinn. Give Carr a year then put in Quinn. Who knows?

Dime
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Here is what I see. .

We got a good QB that plays West Coast system (which is Kub's style).

He is a mannered person has shown lots of leadership abilities (which is something we really needed for a QB of the Texans).

His numbers arent the best, but he is the BEST bar none FA and most sought after QB on the market even before other QB's were signed this year.

He has been seen as a starter QB for the last year, just not given the chance.

Many people feel he will be a pro-bowler in the next few years.

He comes under a head coach that was a former QB coach and considered one of the better QB coaches out there (meaning who else would be better to evaluate if he was worth it?)

This gives the Texans Fans, and players a New faith and confidence in the team. No more boos when they walk out to the field now. Have the city behind them. (yes, I know, they have always been behind them, but this will help show it)

The cost: drop two spots in the first, second round this year and next.

Alot of you say, this is too high?

If Schaub takes us to the playoffs in two years, is it still too high of a price. If he becomes a pro-bowler, is it still too high? You are yelling about his price. But I would have paid much more not to have to endure the 2-14 year. Lets wait before we start talking about if he is worth it or not until he has two seasons under his belt. Then we can talk. Right now, we all dont know if the price was to high.

Funny thing is, I dont think Kub and Rick Smith are done by a long way.

I, as a Texan Fan, am happy to invite Matt 'Sling' Schaub to my team of greatness. I think he has a chip on his shoulder about being a backup for 3 years, and now has the arena to show what he can do. I am STOKED, and I hope you are too...

Today, are team has changed. People are thinking, hmmmm.. maybe we need to worry a bit about these Texans.

I am sorry to ramble.. but picking up four decent picks in FA, not paying out the train (trying to be nice) for them, and this making a huge impact deal for Schaub. AND we still have the draft to go. AND next year, we will have lots of money for a cap.

WOW...

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
I am just happy he is ugly. :joker:

Ckw
03-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Like what you have to say. Just edit one thing. 2-14 not 2-16. 16 games in a season not 18. But good post.

Caphorn
03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
That doesn't work. Presumably if you trade Carr for a 3rd rounder that is neutral value.

Here's how I would analyze it:

Texans get Schaub for draft picks. There value is as follows:

1st round swap - worth 100 pts
2nd round picks - worth between 450 and 500 a piece (900 to 1000 pts total)

That would mean that you are essentially treating Schaub as somewhere between the 14th and 16th pick in the first round (1,000 to 1,100 points). Would you have traded a first rounder of this value for Schaub - that's really the million dollar question? Or put another way, would you draft Schaub at this position in the draft? Is he that good? Apparently, Smith thinks he is and he and Kubiak have seen enough of his work in the NFL to know pretty much what they are getting.

Dime
03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Like what you have to say. Just edit one thing. 2-14 not 2-16. 16 games in a season not 18. But good post.

your right.. my bad.. i will change

Playmaker
03-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd rather just have the wait and see approach.

Besides, we actually have posters in here that can step in right away if he doesn't work out. :rolleyes:

Ckw
03-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I'd rather just have the wait and see approach.

Besides, we actually have posters in here that can step in right away if he doesn't work out. :rolleyes:

:elmo:

freedoggy77
i'm glad we have a change of scenery at QB but now we need O-LINE to protect matt. and moving down two spots is somewhat bad because we probably won't get landry or quinn (who we don't need anymore!) but we can still get reggie nelson and get Levi Brown in the second. (yeah, thats what i think of him)

afcman
You're right about having new hope. I'm certainly fired up. I'm as excited as I was the first year.

Maybe will get put back on TV again. :yahoo:

The team was certainly at a crossroads. If Carr had stayed I could see ugly stuff start to settle in.......empty seats....bags on heads.....lots of yelling, etc.

I'm ready for the draft....this ain't over yet fans.......

And I'll say again....it's great to finally hear texans talk on Sirius NFL radio!!!!!!!!

:yahoo:

hadaad
03-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I think, as a fan, that the price is too high.

1) Quarterback was an area of need, I understand that, but I still think our defensive secondary was a bigger area of need.
2) Waiting three hours between Texans picks is really going to suck.

Silver Oak
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM
yeah....that 3 hour wait between picks may just scuttle my plans for a draft day party.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM
It's pure conjecture to say that Schaub>Stanton, Kolb.

Is DeWayne White>Gaines Adams, Anderson, Carriker?

Michael Lewis>LaRon Landry?

We don't know just yet, but we'll eventually find out.

Daonly
03-21-2007, 05:49 PM

Yeah who to say, but who to say if they are avalible when we pick? (Stanton,Kolb) At least we know that we have a solid QB, whose going to be here April 1st for spring ball and reading the playbook almost a month before the draft. I'll give up that second in 08' anyday if it gets us in the Playoffs. At least Schuab has a better WR to throw to than Vick (AJ)!

macaronitoni
03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
You're right about having new hope. I'm certainly fired up. I'm as excited as I was the first year.

Maybe will get put back on TV again. :yahoo:

The team was certainly at a crossroads. If Carr had stayed I could see ugly stuff start to settle in.......empty seats....bags on heads.....lots of yelling, etc.

I'm ready for the draft....this ain't over yet fans.......

And I'll say again....it's great to finally hear texans talk on Sirius NFL radio!!!!!!!!

:yahoo:

Ha, just watched pardon the interuption, and out of the 2 mins they talked about it, 1:58 of it was talking about if it was smart on the falcons half. They spent a whole 2 seconds talking about the texans, and only mentioned "does this mean the end of carr in houston?" next subject..

RTP2110
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I like the deal. If Shaub turns out to be the QB that most people think he can be then this trade will be a steal. I agree with the original poster, that essentially Shaub is your 2nd round pic. We move down in Round 1, but we still have a top 10 overall. The only thing you lose outright is next year's 2nd rounder. You gotta give somthin to get somethin. But either way, th only way we'll ever know if it's a good deal ot not is to see how Shaub turns out.

si160hp
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
According to ESPN's Jeremy Green the Falcons got a better deal. In his analysis he describes Schuab as a solid QB, but no better than the starting QB. He also goes on to say that altough Schuab has a good arm, his leadership skills are to be questioned (something we already had with Carr).:rant: . I dunno about you guys but I dont have a good feeling about this trade. I want to feel excited but the truth is we gave up too much for a player that is not proven and full of question marks. Id would've rather taken a shot in the draft. Dunno, just dont like it. Seems like the Texans just want to make a statement without any substane. :stooges: Whats your consensus?

Tulip
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
That doesn't work. Presumably if you trade Carr for a 3rd rounder that is neutral value.

Here's how I would analyze it:

Texans get Schaub for draft picks. There value is as follows:

1st round swap - worth 100 pts
2nd round picks - worth between 450 and 500 a piece (900 to 1000 pts total)

That would mean that you are essentially treating Schaub as somewhere between the 14th and 16th pick in the first round (1,000 to 1,100 points). Would you have traded a first rounder of this value for Schaub - that's really the million dollar question? Or put another way, would you draft Schaub at this position in the draft? Is he that good? Apparently, Smith thinks he is and he and Kubiak have seen enough of his work in the NFL to know pretty much what they are getting.

I thought that a 2008 2nd round pick = a 2007 3rd round pick

phantom17
03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
We have a history of....giving up too much & paying the price! I hope this won't cause the quick end to Kubes/Smith tenure!:confused: I was hoping we would stay put & stock up NOT water down...again! SIGH! Schaub better be a star or the natives here will begin to become restless, again!:wheel:

Tulip
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM
According to ESPN's Jeremy Green the Falcons got a better deal. In his analysis he describes Schuab as a solid QB, but no better than the starting QB. He also goes on to say that altough Schuab has a good arm, his leadership skills are to be questioned (something we already had with Carr).:rant: . I dunno about you guys but I dont have a good feeling about this trade. I want to feel excited but the truth is we gave up too much for a player that is not proven and full of question marks. Id would've rather taken a shot in the draft. Dunno, just dont like it. Seems like the Texans just want to make a statement without any substane. :stooges: Whats your consensus?

I was listening to Mark on 610 earlier, and he said that scouts who have watched Schaub's game film say that he has excellent footwork and pocket presence. These are two areas where David was terrible. The leadership thing does concern, but Schaub has never been the QB of an NFL team. Perhaps if he steps out from behind Vick, he will thrive.

I'm getting more comfortable with the deal as the hours go by. I'm definitely happier now than I was yesterday.

texas mopar
03-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Heres whats botherin me I was hoping to get Kalli in the 2nd and who really knows what we will give up next year for what I see is a back up QB. And if AP is there in #8 spot he will look pretty good behind Vick. Matt is part of our team now and hope that I'm wrong about him being a back up. I really liked Kalli ,in thats not going to happen now.

FalconsFan
03-21-2007, 07:14 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Koolbrz
03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Here is what I see. .

We got a good QB that plays West Coast system (which is Kub's style).

He is a mannered person has shown lots of leadership abilities (which is something we really needed for a QB of the Texans).

His numbers arent the best, but he is the BEST bar none FA and most sought after QB on the market even before other QB's were signed this year.

He has been seen as a starter QB for the last year, just not given the chance.

Many people feel he will be a pro-bowler in the next few years.

He comes under a head coach that was a former QB coach and considered one of the better QB coaches out there (meaning who else would be better to evaluate if he was worth it?)

This gives the Texans Fans, and players a New faith and confidence in the team. No more boos when they walk out to the field now. Have the city behind them. (yes, I know, they have always been behind them, but this will help show it)

The cost: drop two spots in the first, second round this year and next.

Alot of you say, this is too high?

If Schaub takes us to the playoffs in two years, is it still too high of a price. If he becomes a pro-bowler, is it still too high? You are yelling about his price. But I would have paid much more not to have to endure the 2-14 year. Lets wait before we start talking about if he is worth it or not until he has two seasons under his belt. Then we can talk. Right now, we all dont know if the price was to high.

Funny thing is, I dont think Kub and Rick Smith are done by a long way.

I, as a Texan Fan, am happy to invite Matt 'Sling' Schaub to my team of greatness. I think he has a chip on his shoulder about being a backup for 3 years, and now has the arena to show what he can do. I am STOKED, and I hope you are too...

Today, are team has changed. People are thinking, hmmmm.. maybe we need to worry a bit about these Texans.

I am sorry to ramble.. but picking up four decent picks in FA, not paying out the train (trying to be nice) for them, and this making a huge impact deal for Schaub. AND we still have the draft to go. AND next year, we will have lots of money for a cap.

WOW...

I so agree with you!! Everyone on the board was bumping there gums about wanting Carr gone. The FO finally makes a move and picks up a QB i think will be a great add. to this team and now everyone is being so negative about the whole deal. All i have to say is...You have to give up something in order to get something. Yes, we gave up 2 2nd rd. picks. So what!! Who knows what might have happened with those picks. They are not going to always turn out like the Demeco pick. I have a great feeling about this trade. Schaub is a QB i was hoping they would have tried to trade for last yr. Better late than never...lol.

The guy has some skills!! I saw him play in the game against the Patriots, which had a great defense, back in 2005. The guy came out and threw for something like 300 yds and 3 TD's. They did lose the game but hey, his performance was just awesome!! We have definitly upgraded the QB position this offseason. I'll take this guy over any of the rookies, Garcia, Plummer, and Ramsey any time. Can't wait for the season to begin!! Go Texans!!!
Kubes and Rick Know what they are doing. As far as the 8 to 10 spot, i dont think there will be that much difference in talent level. Hell, take M. Lynch. The guy is a freakin animal when running with the ball. Doesn't hurt to have him on the roster.

Koolbrz
03-21-2007, 07:39 PM

The way i see it, a rookie QB is also full of question marks. Don't know what your gonna get until you put em out on the football field. How can anyone say he has questionable leadership skills when the guy has been Vick's back up. IMHO the team seemed to move better with Schaub at QB than with Vick. Like i said, that is just my opinion. Schaub will surprise alot of people. I see him being a Drew Brees type of QB for us when he had his breakout yr. with the Chargers. Not saying that he will do what Brees did, just that he has that type of ability. Things are falling into place bro, trust me on this one. You need to start getting excited about this comin yr.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM

No, that Comparison would be is Schaub > Brady Quinn, Jamarcus russell....

Schaub > Stanton/Kolb?
Lewis > Eric Weddle?
White > Dan Bazuin?

better comparisons since these would be 2nd/3rd round picks.