PDA

View Full Version : Did the Texans over pay for Schaub ?

Pages : 1 [2]

humbleone
03-23-2007, 02:47 PM
The team was looking to draft Brady Quinn if they brought in a short term chump. I stated weeks ago that we would move up to get him if we had too....people just laughed at me...but today we gave up picks to get Schaub. One day some of you guys will listen to me....well, on second thought, no you won't.

:)

I actually forgot that you did make the call on this correctly weeks ago V...impressive! So, you are saying that the first choice was Quinn + a retread move but when Smith decided (probably correctly) that Quinn falling to us or us trading up to get him was not viable, this was always the move they liked? Interesting.

shanden
03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I personally feel much more comfortable with Schaub over Plummer or Garcia, and also felt very uncomfortable with breaking the bank to move up and grab Quinn (who would just sit the bench the first year and was a higher risk then Schaub).

As far as my gut is telling me, I liked Schaub better then any quarterback in the draft, and the fact we paid the equivalent of a 21st overall pick to grab him and start him immediately doesn't sound as bad a price.

As far as I can tell I have to respect Kubiak and Smith betting their jobs on this move. The way I hear people talking about only wanting sure bets, they would never be cut out to be HC or GMs. You can't succeed in the NFL by only going after sure things and never taking a risk on potential.
GB made a bet on Farve and won big. Schaub looks Hall-of-Fame compared to what Farve looked like when he was traded.
The Saint made a bet on Brees shoulder last year and won big.
SF made a bet on Young while they still had Montana and won big.
It is too expensive to never gamble, esp with the Texans cap space this year.
Kubiak and Smith saw their cards and flop and have gone all in on a high potential and experienced QB.

If you want sure things - they are Death and Taxes

hadaad
03-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Are you serious that you can't see that O-line hasn't been a top priority ?

If you are a GM, and you know your O-line sucks....Would you have made your two biggest F/A signings a RB and QB ?

That doesn't make any sense, unless you plan on spending 5 picks in the draft on O-line...

If I was a GM and I saw what other teams were paying for middle-of-the-road free agents, and I had a certain type of lineman in my sights, one that isn't necessarily available this year, I probably wouldn't spend that kind of money on someone who wasn't going to fit my system. (Todd Wade?)

I didn't say anything about top priority. I said what the signings haven't shown me. What they've shown me is that Kubiak wanted playmakers and he got playmakers.

If he wants o-line and he didn't want the free agent guys, he'll get them through the draft. That's pretty much what I said.

I also didn't say that the line sucked. I think, for the most part, they're pretty solid. I think that they would do well to spend a late-first-day or early-second-day pick on a left tackle against the possibility that Spencer's hurt worse than he is (that is, knowing what I know. But how do I know what they know? Is it more than I know? I don't know) and I think they should probably trade down in the first and pick up Kalil and use that extra first-day pick on secondary help, be it Free Safety or Cornerback.

That is, unless they spend the first rounder on a safety or cornerback and pick up a decent centre in the third.

I like being a fan instead of someone who knows things. It makes it easier to keep my options open.

humbleone
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok, so now we at least know that there was no other deal done for Carr already that would soften the blow of what we paid for Schaub by giving us a pick in April as some on the MB speculated with the "keep the faith...it's probably better than it currently looks business".

Porky
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
The team was looking to draft Brady Quinn if they brought in a short term chump. I stated weeks ago that we would move up to get him if we had too....people just laughed at me...but today we gave up picks to get Schaub. One day some of you guys will listen to me....well, on second thought, no you won't.

:)

Yep. According to NFL network, the Texans were "in love" (their words) with Brady Quinn, but once they realized that he was unlikely to drop to 8, and that the cost to move up would be high, they turned their sights on Schaub.

VERY smary move that will pay dividends for years to come. (not a diss on Quinn, who I think will be good)