PDA

View Full Version : IS Matt Schaub our answer?

DoCRoN
03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
If we do acquire Schaub like sources are reporting, from what I have read it doesn't sound like he is a good 'fit' for us. Has his 'throwing on the run' ability improved? Was this an inaccurate report? I don't know much about Schaub but this draft report (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47945.html) doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside...

:confused:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47945.html

Vinny
03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
If we do acquire Schaub like sources are reporting, from what I have read it doesn't sound like he is a good 'fit' for us. Has his 'throwing on the run' ability improved? Was this an inaccurate report? I don't know much about Schaub but this draft report (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47945.html) doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside...

:confused:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47945.html
If you read Carr's draft report you would think we had a hall of fame QB. So much for draft reports.

OzzO
03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Guess we'll find out, huh? If C&C were still here running the ship, yeah I'd have ALOT more questions than I do now.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
read tom brady's draft report

afcman
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
It's a done deal from everything I've heard. I really don't know about the guy. I guess it's time to start learning.

I tried twice to post a link here but it got removed.

SO..........CARR is a gone. Today starts Houston V.2.

DoCRoN
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm not saying that I don't potentially like the move. I just know very little about Schaub and, like most Texans fans, have never seen him play in the NFL. I'd love to know if he is regarded as a good 'fit' for our offense, etc...

afcman
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Shoot, we could still draft a QB next year.

Ive had Sirius radio for a month now and have been listening everyday for some BIG texans news..........

Today was the day.

:dance2:

rollinstone18
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Well hopefully we don't make another mistake like we did with Carr and we GIVE THE GUY SOME PROTECTION. I think Kubiak realizes this though, so there's no reason for me not to be optimistic.

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not saying that I don't potentially like the move. I just know very little about Schaub and, like most Texans fans, have never seen him play in the NFL. I'd love to know if he is regarded as a good 'fit' for our offense, etc...

5.0 forty...he's not going to run away from anyone. How many ones is this deal that no one is reporting going to cost us ? Looks like a panic pick to me.

Marcus
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
If anyone wants to see a good perspective on Matt Schaub, what better place to go than the Atlanta Falcons Message Board (http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showforum=2).

Should make some you happy with what they are saying over there.:this:

afcman
03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
So....will we keep Carr as OUR backup or will he be someone else's backup? :)

My Hero
03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
If anyone wants to see a good perspective on Matt Schaub, what better place to go than the Atlanta Falcons Message Board (http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showforum=2).

Sould make some you happy with what they are saying over there.:this:

Yeah, guess what. Everybody loves the back up QB, no suprise.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM

haha...bye bye hero. time to change that avatar, eh. better logon to the raiders message board and start a trollfile errrrr profile

Marcus
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Gotta be a dark day for you!:lightning:

Yeah, over there, they think Michael Vick absolutely sucks. Like I said, it's all in the perspective.

rollinstone18
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM

I believe he'll be sent packing draft day to recover lost draft picks.

wrestler4life
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah, he and Sage are the best in the league

afcman
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh boy......now I REALLY can't wait for the draft!!!!! :dance2:

eriadoc
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, the obvious answer is ... no one knows. Schaub brings a few points of optimism, however. He stepped in as a rookie and played better in the West Coast Offense than Vick ever has. When called upon, he has performed well in the Falcons offense. People blast away on Atlanta's receivers, but those receivers look a lot better when Schaub is in there. He seems to make good decisions and his reads, even as a rookie, look to be better than Carr's. He seems to have it together upstairs, and since the QB position is more cerebral than athletic, I'll take it with optimism. There was the loss to Philly at the end of this past season, when the offense moved the ball well with Schaub under center. There was the loss against the Pats in 2005 where he threw for 298 and 3 scores and they weren't garbage time scores. That was an exciting game.

He doesn't have much of a record to really dissect, but the two times I watched him play (both above, and I watched specifically because he was playing), he moved the ball down the field in a way that Carr never has. Schaub made the receivers in Atlanta look brilliant at times and competent most other times. Schaub is probably the best unproven option the Texans could have taken.

I'm excited. (Of course, if the Texans give him the same protection they have given Carr over the course of his career, it'll end up close to the same result anyway, so we'll see)

rickyb
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM

I say we trade Carr to Oakland for either:
1) their 2nd
2) their 3rd PLUS swap of 2nd's

Oakland then uses 1.01 to pick Calvin Johnson, who is arguably the best player in the draft.

Houston Sooner
03-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Why do I see this as a AJ Feely tyoe deal:joker:

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
We will know in two years because you can bet dollars to donuts that he won't get a 5 year pass like some QBs have around here.

Here is to hoping we get a competent signal caller we can ALL believe in....

Cupps
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Why do I see this as a AJ Feely tyoe deal:joker:

My roommate, a Dolphins fan, mentioned Feeley as soon as we heard about this trade. I hope it doesn't turn out like that... but he'd have to magnificent to justify the price tag.

bigTEXan8
03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
schaub will = feely.

Lucky
03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Everyone has probably seen Schaub's regular season stats. Here are Schaub's preseason totals over 3 seasons:

109-193-1255-11 TDs-4 INTs-14 Sacks-17 rushes-49 yards-107.5 QB Rating

Schaub had back-to-back preseason games as a rookie where he threw 3 TDs with zero picks.

Can't wait to see what the contract looks like. :popcorn:

fingers5
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Taken from the Atlanta Falcons Message Board:

why are the texans always the biggest suckers MikeV7ck

View Member Profile Today, 02:52 PM Post #1

last year got mario williams,passed up on reggie bush,vince young,nick mangold,dbrickashaw ferguson,matt leinart,aj hawk,vernon davis, Not to say mario williams isnt a good pick BUT hes not an OVERALL NUMBER 1 PICK, and now if this deal goes through they are even bigger suckers than ever. Through this process got number 8 pick,39,44,2008 second round pick, freed up 2.3 cap space, and have a chance to get CJ ORRR......sadly pass up CJ and get another player to help our defense *yawn*

bigsack
03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
My favorite quote on the Atlanta board is "McCay is an outed bi-sexual after the way he bent over the Texans."

It doesn't seem like Atlanta is too disappointed. I am not sold on the whole draft picks are better than actual players but I have to wonder if we didnt pay too much. Schaub better not stink. Maybe we should trade Carr to LA head up for Moss, why not. (Other than the fact that he tried to run over a meter-maid or similar stories)

Sportsfan
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
What is everyone's take on Schaub's leadership abilities? Is he capable of being a field general?

2BCF
03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
It's a done deal from everything I've heard. I really don't know about the guy. I guess it's time to start learning.

I tried twice to post a link here but it got removed.

SO..........CARR is a gone. Today starts Houston V.2.

Yep! Praise The Lord!

keyfro
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
My roommate, a Dolphins fan, mentioned Feeley as soon as we heard about this trade. I hope it doesn't turn out like that... but he'd have to magnificent to justify the price tag.

you know when this FA started that's what my opinion of him was...another case of a guy who played on a relatively good team that when the starter went down he played his role and came out looking great...then we you go to another team that isn't quiet that good the QB struggles...remember it's so much easier for a back-up QB to step in on a winning team and win...it's a way different story to come to a team that loses and try to elevate them to winning status

with that in mind we were only a few plays here and a few plays there from being 8-8 an only about four more plays from being 10-6...we could have just as easily swepped the titans, beat the giants, and the buffalos

most of those loses were due to either fumbles or below average QB play mixed with some serious defensive struggles

when you look at what we could've had with carr at the helm and then think what another guy who hasn't been sacked 249 times could do it makes you really wonder how far are we really from being a winning team

FalconsFan
03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
No.

My Hero
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Gotta be a dark day for you!:lightning:

Yeah, over there, they think Michael Vick absolutely sucks. Like I said, it's all in the perspective.

Yeah it will be a dark day if it happens.

FalconMadness
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
You guys got a winner IMO.

michaelm
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Taken from the Atlanta Falcons Message Board:

why are the texans always the biggest suckers MikeV7ck

View Member Profile Today, 02:52 PM Post #1

last year got mario williams,passed up on reggie bush,vince young,nick mangold,dbrickashaw ferguson,matt leinart,aj hawk,vernon davis, Not to say mario williams isnt a good pick BUT hes not an OVERALL NUMBER 1 PICK, and now if this deal goes through they are even bigger suckers than ever. Through this process got number 8 pick,39,44,2008 second round pick, freed up 2.3 cap space, and have a chance to get CJ ORRR......sadly pass up CJ and get another player to help our defense *yawn*

So, we're supposed to care about some negative crack on the Texans that you cherry picked off another teams MB to support your dislike of the trade?

I suppose this copy and paste represents your opinion on the matter accurately, considering how you've pasted it into at least one other thread that I know of...

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=633648#post633648

FalconMadness
03-21-2007, 06:49 PM
So, we're supposed to care about some negative crack on the Texans that you cherry picked off another teams MB to support your dislike of the trade?

I suppose this copy and paste represents your opinion on the matter accurately, considering how you've pasted it into at least one other thread that I know of...

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=633648#post633648

I wouldn't care too much about what some Falcons fans say on our board. The board overall isn't moderated as well as it should be, and because of that we end up having alot of negative posters who can pretty much say anything they want.

jdog
03-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah it will be a dark day if it happens.

The Matt Schaub wiki page sure updated quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub

It has been reported by several media outlets that the Houston Texans have acquired Schaub from the Falcons for second round picks in 2007 and 2008. As part of the deal, the teams will also swap first round picks in 2007, with the Falcons now slotted to pick 8th, and the Texans picking 10th.

jdog
03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Doesn't sound too bad to me. We need a qb, and I hear good things about Schaub. We wanted to trade down. 10th ain't too bad. We only lose one pick per year for two years. They are seconds, but the new FO seems more capable of finding good players.

texas mopar
03-21-2007, 07:14 PM
My favorite quote on the Atlanta board is "McCay is an outed bi-sexual after the way he bent over the Texans."

It doesn't seem like Atlanta is too disappointed. I am not sold on the whole draft picks are better than actual players but I have to wonder if we didnt pay too much. Schaub better not stink. Maybe we should trade Carr to LA head up for Moss, why not. (Other than the fact that he tried to run over a meter-maid or similar stories)

I'm starting to feel screawed -I had high hopes for this draft!!!!

Cgold
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
6 tds and 6 ints off a hundred and eighty something pass attempts, makes him a BIG gamble to give up that much. Only time will tell how it turns out, but I personally think its to much..

Spled
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
He's looked real good in pre-season, but he needs the same thing as Carr or any quarterback - protection.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Only time will tell, but I believe this adds a fresh taste to fans and fans that the Texans lost after last year's draft