PDA

View Full Version : Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

the wonger need food
03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4649552.html

Maybe a 3-way with Oakland and Atlanta???

Carr to Oakland
Moss to Atlanta
Schaub to Houston

Now that would be sweet, but I seriously doubt we get out of this without giving up draft picks.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 12:11 PM
WOW, I heard the Patriots were after Schaub (no bs - I got a nice jucy rumor the other day). I hope this deal goes down.

CowboysTexansFan
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
If the Texans trade for Schaub, that would be very good news indeed. It gives us a guy with some experience and potential to compete with Sage.

From the Chronicle:

After failing to sign free agents Jeff Garcia and Patrick Ramsey, the Texans have turned their attention to Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub, according to a league official. A deal could be imminent.
The Texans are expected to trade for Schaub, a restricted free agent who was so prized by the Falcons they tendered him the maximum contract that would require first- and third-round picks for any team that signed him to an offer sheet.

Schaub would join the crowd at quarterback that includes David Carr, Sage Rosenfels and Bradlee Van Pelt.

The Texans' interest in Schaub, who played at Virginia and started only two games in his three seasons of backing up Michael Vick, is another indication that Carr will be traded after months of speculation.

The Texans wouldn't try to trade for Schaub to have him on the team with Carr and Rosenfels. Coach Gary Kubiak kept only two quarterbacks, Carr and Rosenfels, on the active roster last season.

Schaub, 6-5, 237, has completed 84 of 161 (52.2 percent) for 1,033 yards and six touchdowns. He also has thrown six interceptions. His passer rating is 69.2.

New Falcons coach Bobby Petrino has made a solid commitment to Vick that he'll be the starter and get more responsibility on game days. The Falcons resisted offers for Schaub when Jim Mora was the head coach.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4649552.html

Maddict5
holy crap!!! im like a giddy little girl...this is it- a defining day in the texans history..we get schaub, carr to oakland

Trap_Star
I rather draft a QB than give up 2 high picks for one...

jerek
03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't put a lot of stock in "a league source" or in John McClain's otherwise unsubstantiated muses.

I'm also surprised that fans are in love with Schaub given his stat line, and I suspect that people are really in love with "anybody but Carr." A first and a third is a sick price to pay but if we can in fact work out a three-way trade to take some of the sting off of that, then I'd be okay with it. But I can't say that I've really watched Schaub play much to this point so I don't need to comment any further.

real
03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
That would be nice...

I'd like to see Vick with a reciever like Moss, and I'd like to get rid of Carr...

Works out great if they can make it happen....

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
now THAT deal would be sweet...i would even thrown in a 4th or 5th rounder to seal the deal.

personally, I would also accept Moss for Carr as well. That could do a lot to lure Plummer out of retirement...and we could give TB a 4th or 5th for their time.

CowboysTexansFan
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM

The Texans aren't going to give up their 1st and 3rd picks for this guy. If they wanted to do that, they'd simply sign him to a free agent contract. I trust Smith and Co. not to give up too much for Schaub (i.e., our 1st round pick). Hopefully, that trust will not prove to have been misplaced.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
yeah, we better not be giving up anything other than Carr and maybe a 4th rounder for Schaub. Nothing more, nothing less.

with Schaub you would have instant-competition with Sage and our first real competition at QB. I am not totally sold on Schaub but like Jerek said, I am one of the ABC (anyone but Carr) crowd and I think just moving him to another team is worth 2-3 wins alone. addition by subtraction because Carr is a pathetic QB.

real
03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Pretty much right in line with what I said in another thread...

nunusguy
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Really !
"The Texans are expected to trade for Schaub, a restricted free agent who was so prized by the Falcons they tendered him the maximum contract that would require first- and third-round picks for any team that signed him to an offer sheet."
Surely they aren't thinking of parting with our #1 & #3 for a QB, while young
and talented, is basically untested and inexperienced in the NFL ?

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
i hope/dont think we'll end up giving our 1st and 3rd for schaub...maybe a 2nd or something

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
yeah, we better not be giving up anything other than Carr and maybe a 4th rounder for Schaub. Nothing more, nothing less.

with Schaub you would have instant-competition with Sage and our first real competition at QB. I am not totally sold on Schaub but like Jerek said, I am one of the ABC (anyone but Carr) crowd and I think just moving him to another team is worth 2-3 wins alone. addition by subtraction because Carr is a pathetic QB.

Bringing Schaub in at the cost of a 1st and 3rd round pick would tell me there won't be any QB competition and that Schaub would instantly become the starter.

Newbsies
03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I would absolutely love to see this happen, but my question is this.....

Why wouldn't the Raiders and Falcons just trade Schaub for Moss straight up? There has to be some picks involved. Surely the Raiders would prefer Schaub to DC.

Hulk75
03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Just saw on NFL network they traded him to the Texans for the 2nd rd pick!

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd be pissed if we gave up a 1st and 3rd for Schaub. I wouldn't mind having the guy in here, but not for that type of deal. There better be a 3rd team in the mix.

Exithios
03-21-2007, 12:25 PM
I would absolutely love to see this happen, but my question is this.....

Why wouldn't the Raiders and Falcons just trade Schaub for Moss straight up? There has to be some picks involved. Surely the Raiders would prefer Schaub to DC.

I have to beleive if the deal would involve a three-way between Oakland, Houston, and Atlanta that Oakland's mindset would have to be Carr just needs a fair shake, they may not be as willing to risk the 07 season on an unknown such as Schaub.

That's my guess.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 12:26 PM

omg omg omg..are you serious?!

awesome but...there goes my Ryan Kalil dream!

Section 620
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
BYE-BYE MR CARR>>>>> does this mean he will be part of the Moss to GB deal???

Trap_Star
Its a done deal!!!!!!!NFL network reports that will give ATL a 2nd and other compensation!!!!!

Porky
No way! I'm calling BS on this!! Don't excite me this much! :dance2:

HuttoKarl
Why would the Falcons want Moss when they signed Joe Horn, have Roddy White and a bevy of other first round WR picks who Vick ruined?

Schaub to Houston for picks.
Carr to Oakland for pick or Moss or Porter, solving our WR 2 problem.

Ole Miss Texan
i hope/dont think we'll end up giving our 1st and 3rd for schaub...maybe a 2nd or something

You may have just hit the nail on the head...

Kaiser Toro
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Bringing Schaub in at the cost of a 1st and 3rd round pick would tell me there won't be any QB competition and that Schaub would instantly become the starter.

I am sure there is a way to get it done - restructure or follow the intent of the rule and trade picks. We give our 8 and take Atlanta's 10 while the three of us do a swap of Round three picks (We get 3.1, Atl 3.8 and Oak 3.10).

CowboysTexansFan
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

By the way, I sincerely have a lot of respect for your brother and wish him all the success in the world at his next stop. He is a very fine Christian man with tremendous athletic talent. Sometimes a change of scenery is best for everyone, and I hope he has the same kind of success Steve Young, Jim Plunkett and others did after being traded.

wrestler4life
03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I thought we were trying to acquire more picks, not give them up.

Section 620
03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
No way! I'm calling BS on this!! Don't excite me this much! :dance2:

Nothing on ESPN or KFFL yet! I hope it's true!

ensign_lee
03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Holy crap?!?!?!!!!!!

A second round pick? I sure hope he's worth it.

Ok...gotta support to team...

GO TEXANS GO!!!! :yahoo:

TexanSam
If it's only a 2nd, then I'm happy

Porky
Holy Crap it's true!!

Texans near deal for QB Matt Schaub (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4649552.html)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
If it only only for a second round pick then Rick Smith deserves a raise.

CowboysTexansFan
It's official!

A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10078226

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Well w/ peterson likely gone, quinn and russell out of the mix...i'd expect Defense, trade down....possibly levi brown.

so exciting.

ArlingtonTexan
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Reporting on a live break in.
Adam Schefter reporting that Texans traded to the Falcons for 2nd and other considerations.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 12:33 PM
on nfl.com

Marcus
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I won't have an opinion about this deal for Schaub until I find out what we had to give up in order to get him.

If we have to give up the #8 pick, then not only NO, but ******* NO!

DoCRoN
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM

And it was just posted on NFL.com...

CowboysTexansFan
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I won't have an opinion abou this deal for Schaub until I find out what we had to give up in order to get him.

If we have to give up the #8 pick, then not only NO, but ******* NO!

Relax, it was for the 2nd round pick "and other consideration". Maybe what the team gets for Carr?

Paragon Blue
03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
good-bye CARR:yahoo: :elmo:

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
wow, this is a huge day for the texans franchise!! that's all i can say..i'm getty like a little school girl too...

Texanfan4ever
So where does Carr go?

wenskek
this is the happiest day of my life!

i expect that we trade down with the number 8 pick now.

yesssssssssssssssssssss

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 12:38 PM

yesssssssssssssssssssss

im sorry but if thats true you have a sad life....but im really excited too:yahoo:

Porky
03-21-2007, 12:39 PM

yesssssssssssssssssssss

Let's see. Graduating College. Getting Married. Having kids.

Ya, you're right. Happiest day of my life. :yahoo:

PS - Just kidding, but I am giddy.

TexanSam
Off topic, but I can't wait to see how fast this thread grows as much as Carr is disliked around here. I'm interested to see where Carr is traded too.

DoCRoN
OK, I don't really know much about Schaub, but this report from back in '04 doesn't pimp him up too much...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47945.html

NEGATIVES: Cannot escape the rush or make throws on the move. Lacks the pinpoint pass placement and loses accuracy the further out to the flanks he is asked to throw the ball. Lacks a big league arm and not accurate with the deep pass.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

ROCKY
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
WOW, this changes EVERYTHING!

wenskek
okay literally speaking its not the happiest day of my life but i am pretty damn excited!

Second Honeymoon

actually, if the cost is that prohibitive, its a bad trade and you are correct in assuming he would be the anointed starter...

no way in hell they are giving up a 1st rounder for him though....no way

Osso
03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Carr hopefully isnt going anywhere...now we have 4 qbs for camp just like every other team should have. I don't think kubs is going to dump carr as fast as some want. A 2nd season under what is now a familar system is only fair and smart.

Unless we get a sweet deal for him of course.

:yahoo:

2 cents

Newbsies
Praise Jesus!

Only thing is...he will look a whole lot like DC under center... HAHA! Wow I am so happy, this is one of the greatest days of my life.

afcman

Seņor Stan
Off topic, but I can't wait to see how fast this thread grows as much as Carr is disliked around here. I'm interested to see where Carr is traded too.

C'mon Moulds thread. Watchu got? :boxing:

infantrycak
03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
John Lopez is an !diot and keeps insisting it has to be a 1st and 3rd.

TexansMVP
If we did get him for 2nd round, then it's a great deal! Nice job by the front office. Now I don't have to worry about them drafting Brady Quinn.

HuttoKarl
guess you missed the sticky at the top.

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I thought Lopez was smarter...

Paragon Blue
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Carr hopefully isnt going anywhere...now we have 4 qbs for camp just like every other team should have. I don't think kubs is going to dump carr as fast as some want. A 2nd season under what is now a familar system is only fair and smart.

2 cents
Darrin Horton asked Adam Schefter if Scaub is going to be the starter and Schefter said they signed him to a long term contract and without a doubt he is going to be the starter.

ensign_lee
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
What the heck are 'other considerations'?

Matt Schaub was originally drafted in teh third round, yes? If so, and he seems to have realized potential, fair value then. Woot?

afcman

infantrycak
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I thought Lopez was smarter...

He's finally coming off it a little. Maybe he is just sticking with it to create controversy for the show.

Mr. White
I go take a 30 minute walk around campus and look what happens!

Christmas in March.

alphajoker
If this is all true, then I see the Texans trading down in the 1st to get that 2nd round pick back.

False Start
03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
This is great . :yahoo:

Hopefully David hasn't cursed the number 8 .

Seņor Stan
03-21-2007, 12:45 PM

THAT is bad radio.

Marcus
03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Holy crap!

Well, all I got to say is, I don't expect Oakland give us their 2nd round pick for Carr. If that happens, Al Davis needs to be taken out and shot.

I still think Carr is going to end up being released, in the same fashion that Sharper and Glenn were. He will be told to go out and seek his own trade, in which he will have to agree to restructure in order for that trade to happen.

the wonger need food
03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Wonder how much Schaub pays Stanley to get his old number back?

Osso
03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Darrin Horton asked Adam Schefter if Scaub is going to be the starter and Schefter said they signed him to a long term contract and without a doubt he is going to be the starter.

Schefter doesnt mean squat to me. When i see kubs say it, then it can have wieght.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
this is a good trade the more i think about it considering it cost the jets a 2nd rounder to get thomas jones...

we're getting a promising young qb at a position where theres a serious lack of quality..they good a good rb at a position where they're a dime a dozen

ps..props to mclain for giving us a 15 min exclusive

Vinny
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10078226 awesome

AggieTexanFan
As reported from Adam Schefter, Matt Schaub of the Falcons has been traded to the Texans for their 2nd round picks and other possible considerations

OzzO
Mods going into overtime merging the threads. :dance2:

Carr in a great guy personally and honestly wish him and his family well in future endveours.

As for the Texans...... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :yahoo:

santo

Don't worry, Stanley's getting cut...:stirpot:

Mr. White
03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
This rules. :wild:

TFL
this is a good trade the more i think about it considering it cost the jets a 2nd rounder to get thomas jones...

we're getting a promising young qb at a position where theres a serious lack of quality..they good a good rb at a position where they're a dime a dozen

ps..props to mclain for giving us a 15 min exclusive

Actually the jets swicthed thier 2nd rounders with the bears for Thomas Jones

Maddict5

2 cents

Schefter doesnt mean squat to me. When i see kubs say it, then it can have wieght.

LOL dude its over...accept it

WaywardTexanFan
There is already a thread opened on this.:joker:

ThaShark316
http://img448.imageshack.us/img448/5822/ric20flair20wooooo8th.jpg

WOOOOOOOO!!! What a f'n deal..I can't believe it!!!

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Actually the jets swicthed thier 2nd rounders with the bears for Thomas Jones

oops my mistake...still a good trade though!:yahoo:

Mr. White
http://img448.imageshack.us/img448/5822/ric20flair20wooooo8th.jpg

WOOOOOOOO!!! What a f'n deal..I can't believe it!!!

Love it. Rep coming.

Vinny

2 cents
some of you guys have no ability to read between the lines at all. Carr is done here.....no way they trade picks for Schaub for him to come and "compete" with Carr. We have a new starting QB as soon as this deal is done.

real
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.greaterthings.com/Humor/Images/monkey_smile.jpg

Section 620
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
POSTED 12:46 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2007

SCHAUB TO TEXANS!

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that it's a done deal -- the Falcons have traded quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans.

It's a sign-and-trade transaction, with the Falcons inking Schaub to a new contract and then trading him to the Texans. The use of a roster bonus and/or an option bonus due in, for example, five days will prevent the Falcons from taking a cap hit.

The move most definitely means that David Carr's tenure with the team is over. He was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft. A year ago, the Texans opted to pay a bonus that extended his deal for three seasons, which took them out of the running for Houston native Vince Young.

From Profootballtalk.com frt page ....:elmo:

Porky
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
SCHAUB TO TEXANS!

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that it's a done deal -- the Falcons have traded quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans.

It's a sign-and-trade transaction, with the Falcons inking Schaub to a new contract and then trading him to the Texans. The use of a roster bonus and/or an option bonus due in, for example, five days will prevent the Falcons from taking a cap hit.

The move most definitely means that David Carr's tenure with the team is over. He was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft. A year ago, the Texans opted to pay a bonus that extended his deal for three seasons, which took them out of the running for Houston native Vince Young.

Pro Football Talk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Reddevil63
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Guess I need to change my avatar

rollinstone18
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
THIS MEANS NO KOLB!!!!!!!!!

HoustonFrog
If this is all true, then I see the Texans trading down in the 1st to get that 2nd round pick back.

First, I love this trade if true.

Secondly I agree. I think the plan is to trade down and collect picks. I still think they can take care of D if they want and get more picks.

Marcus
some of you guys have no ability to read between the lines at all. Carr is done here.....no way they trade picks for Schaub for him to come and "compete" with Carr. We have a new starting QB as soon as this deal is done.

So what's your thoughts Vinny on what you think will happen to Carr?

Mr. White
I'm marking this day as the day the Texans turn the corner.

False Start

So Schaub used to be number 7 ? Good , because like I said before .... the number 8 maybe cursed .

santo
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I would like to nominate Rick Smith as GM of the Century.....

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Vinny
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I've speculated since last year that we would move him the week of the draft or the day of the draft....still on course.

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ITS-A-CELEBRATION-BITCHES-T-SHIRT-DAVE-CHAPPELLE_W0QQitemZ230077446825QQcmdZViewItem

marv800
this would be crap. We need Plummer.

Mr. White

He did one helluva job keeping a lid on this rumor. I started a thread about it a week ago and there was very little to go on.

texaslifter

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2007, 12:56 PM

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

I don't know when I'll be back again

Daonly
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Now Carr for Moss or Porter and a 4th rounder and Peterson Falls to the Texans at #* JUICE!!! :elmo:

OzzO
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Take a gander at the "guest" count. Gone up just a bit. Welcome all!!!

:redtowel:

pv1999
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
What has Schwab done that we should be happy about? His career stats look like a good game for some QB's. Beats anything we could pick up in the second round though, I just don't get it...why should we be any more excited about this than Green or any other moves we have made.

kcwilson
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
PROPOSED IDEA FOR OUR #8 PICK...

Trade our #8 to New England for their top #1 pick in the first round and their 2nd round pick. Let them get Laron Landry if they want, we might be able to get Patrick Willis.

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 01:00 PM
What has Schwab done that we should be happy about? His career stats look like a good game for some QB's. Beats anything we could pick up in the second round though, I just don't get it...why should we be any more excited about this than Green or any other moves we have made.

Because it means a new QB and a new direction for the Texans. :yahoo:

RTP2110
why should we be any more excited about this than Green or any other moves we have made.

How do you know how excited evryone would be if we got Green or anyone else?

MATRIX

I saw that too...anyone see an announcement yet?

Guess that means a QB is out in the draft. Hope we get Lynch or AP/AD. I really think Lynch is better du to superior hands(much in the LT mold).

Errant Hothy
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
I think the biggest positive of this trade is that it kills any chance of the Texans drafting Quinn, which had me really nervous.

Porky
03-21-2007, 01:02 PM

No sheet. This guy is young and inexperienced, but my gosh, what a GM.

We turned the corner today for sure. With a good draft, I think we may be the 2nd best team in this division in 2007. We will FINALLY see some legit QB play.

This team just got a heck of a lot better, and a lot more interesting to watch. :victory:

pv1999
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Because it means a new QB and a new direction for the Texans. :yahoo:

We were going in a new direction anyway, and it doesn't mean a new QB it means a pre-owned QB.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM

nothing outstanding but for some reason ive seen alot of his games- v the pats and some1 else who i forget and he has IT!..That calming effect that sage seems to have..and a good arm also

his stats arent great but look at the yds and completed passes:

84 passes for 1,033..thats what? 12 yds per completion which is good(no more 3 yd curls)

MATRIX
03-21-2007, 01:04 PM

Here is part of the story on NFL.com

Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I've adopted my Texan!

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
i hate to throw water on the party, but is this deal official yet? I aint popping the cork until this deal is signed sealed and delivered.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
yeah this deal is done dont worry

Errant Hothy
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Another thought: Since Smith was so adamant about not losing any draft picks are we definatly looking at a trade down scenario in the draft?

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
maybe aj will hit 2k this season.

infantrycak
790 guest is reporting flop #1's this year plus 2nd's this year and next.

Nawzer
Niiiiiiice!!!

michaelm
03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Per 790am...
We will swap 1st rounders with ATL, give up a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Another thought: Since Smith was so adamant about not losing any draft picks are we definatly looking at a trade down scenario in the draft?

well if you think about it, this is really just our 2nd rd pick...i think what smith meant was not packaging or 1st and 2nd/3rd to move up etc..

i wouldnt mind a trade down though

pv1999
03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
nothing outstanding but for some reason ive seen alot of his games- v the pats and some1 else who i forget and he has IT!..That calming effect that sage seems to have..and a good arm also

his stats arent great but look at the yds and completed passes:

84 passes for 1,033..thats what? 12 yds per completion which is good(no more 3 yd curls)

Look at his team and the coach, we are not throwing 3yd curls because Carr can't throw any further. We are throwing 3yd curls because its part of the gameplan....we will see if he has "it". He is still just another glorified backup.

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
That would be nice...

I'd like to see Vick with a reciever like Moss, and I'd like to get rid of Carr...

Works out great if they can make it happen....

Yes another grade "A" reciever he can't hit fity percent of the time...that's going to "work". And if it doesn't work there xt...who's fault will it be then ? the o-line...too funny.

How much ? if it's player for player...ok. If we're putting picks into the pot...I dunno.

Errant Hothy
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Not so excited any more, well still a little excited but that price for that was higher then I hoped.

I think this pretty much locks us in for D with the 1st rounder

If the above is true.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Per 790am...
We will swap 1st rounders with ATL, give up a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

wow that is a little steep- still ok though

Newbsies
03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
kffl.........

Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

ensign_lee
Per 790am...

I sure hope they're wrong... :hides:

dtran04
Ouch. That would be pretty pricy.

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
kffl.........

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

I hope our 2nd round pick is high (as in late 2nd round) in 2008. I'm guessing it will :francis:

arktexanfan
03-21-2007, 01:13 PM
It was just reported on FOX Sports Channel that Atlanta will Trade Matt Shaub to Houston for a second round draft pick and future draft picks. Matt is about three times better than people think he is IMO he is better than Vick but dont carry the payday and they just aint going to pay Vick all that money to sit on the pine. Great Pickup Texans.

texansturningthecorner
03-21-2007, 01:13 PM
i would believe adam from nfl network before 790.

shefter reports 2nd round pick

valleytexfan
03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only for a second rounder? Rick Smith IS THE MAN!!!!!!! :redtowel:

Mr. White
Per 790am...

Sounds steep to me also. Hopefully we'll be able to get something for Carr and offset the price of the trade some (if this is correct.)

RTP2110
I still like the deal. We still have a top 10 pick (ATL is #10 right?). So basically we draft Shaub with our 2nd round pick this year, and all we lose outright is next year's 2nd rounder. Also this allows us to move Carr, which hopefully will get us a pick somewhere.

Section 620
Also from FOX sports.... and the Falcons message board

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 14 minutes ago

The Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons are on the verge of a trade that has wide-ranging ramifications on two quarterbacks once chosen No. 1 overall in the draft.

The Falcons are on the verge of agreeing to trade quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-rounders this year, a second-round pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in the 2008 draft.

Dime
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Paid more then I hoped, but we didnt give up a first, which I am stoked about. If we have a good year, the second next year will be much further down the draft order (I hope). You must understand they wanted much more and now we got him for cheaper then what he could have gone for.

Please_Evolve
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
ATL must really be sold on Vick Being able to be the guy next year. I have my doubts personally. they effectively got the two first rounders they wanted. Seeing Levi Brown with that 10th pick now to protect this investment.

Nawzer
03-21-2007, 01:16 PM
It seems a bit too much to give up but the Texans think very highly of Matt Schaub. I'm sure other teams were making a push for him too. I'm guessing they will trade David Carr and gain a draft pick probably. Still if this moves solves our QB problems then I'm all for it. Schaub in his limited playing time has shown the ability to lead his team and find receivers that Vick has trouble finding. Let's wait and see what the official deal is.

Second Honeymoon
Per 790am...

WTF!!! omg this deal sucks if that is true. that is horrible. schaub better be damn damn good.

texansturningthecorner
i called those ***** holes at 610 about a month or two ago and brought the idea up about shwab and they laughed at me and said no way we give up draft picks to get shwab next question....... well how do you like me now, i think he is great i have seen him play a couple of times when vick was out and he has alot of poise in the pocket which is something we dont have now in dc. way to go texans.:yahoo:

TEXANS84
I hope to god we don't switch first rounders.

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 01:17 PM
It's official!

A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

What it tells me is Kubiak and Smith won't finish out their respective contracts. It's a bad move and it ain't going to work. But, on the positive side, that'll be the end of the DC posts. Another panic pick in a long list of panic picks by this football club. We're going to find out in spades in '07 if Mr. Pitts outrage this morning was justified or not. DC is out of the equation...that should mean palyoffs by '08 correct ?

potisyourfriend
wow that is a little steep- still ok though

What happens if we have a better record than the Falcons thus our picks would be worse than theirs but we have to swap picks and end up with better ones? Is this possible or outlined in the trade that we can't get better picks from them?

Long Baller

Fox Sports reporting the same thing. Pretty steep....

dalemurphy
Sounds steep to me also. Hopefully we'll be able to get something for Carr and offset the price of the trade some (if this is correct.)

Well, the swapping of 1sts really isn't steep, IMO- I think Atlanta is sitting at 10 so we drop two spots... My guess is the '08 pick is conditional. My concern is that a Carr trade is finalized because this trade would cause the Texans to lose a lot of leverage in dealing Carr.

Malloy
i hate to throw water on the party, but is this deal official yet? I aint popping the cork until this deal is signed sealed and delivered.

Forget about it, I'm getting drunk as we speak! :=)

dtran04
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
I bet if someone does the point chart, it would probably be equal to the 1st and 3rd round tender. It ends up being a fair deal, not a GOOD one.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
From ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

He doesn't look as good looking as the other guys we are looking at..so that is good. (roll eyes)

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM

We only moved from 8 to 10...

santo
03-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Kiss Laron Landry goodbye if we are....:cry2:

Oh well, #10 is a good spot to pick up Reggie Nelson:dance2:

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
kffl.........

Good grief. What is it about this clubs twoes.

real
03-21-2007, 01:21 PM
WTF!!! omg this deal sucks if that is true. that is horrible. schaub better be damn damn good.

That would kinda suck....

But oh well...We'd be in perfect position to grab Reggie Nelson this year....

TexanSam

I thought #10 is where Landry was projected to go...Amobi Okoye would be a nice pick there. As would be Levi Brown. I don't think there's a huge drop-off from #8 to #10.

Second Honeymoon
What it tells me is Kubiak and Smith won't finish out their respective contracts. It's a bad move and it ain't going to work. But, on the positive side, that'll be the end of the DC posts. Another panic pick in a long list of panic picks by this football club. We're going to find out in spades in '07 if Mr. Pitts outrage this morning was justified or not. DC is out of the equation...that should mean palyoffs by '08 correct ?

hey man, im sorry 'your boy' is on the out but don't try and predict disaster for OUR team and OUR new QB before he has had one snap as a Texan. If you want to give Carr 5 or more years of patience, how about you give Schaub one freaking snap....now go sit in your corner

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 01:22 PM

And Kolb, and Kalil...it was danged expensive...the worst was the second in '08. We go into the '08 draft in the hole one more time. Just mind boggeling.

Maddict5
What happens if we have a better record than the Falcons thus our picks would be worse than theirs but we have to swap picks and end up with better ones? Is this possible or outlined in the trade that we can't get better picks from them?

??
we're dropping from #8 to #10, giving them our 2nd and next yrs 2nd

im fine with swapping picks but its the extra 2nd that bites

Mr. White
Well, the swapping of 1sts really isn't steep, IMO- I think Atlanta is sitting at 10 so we drop two spots... My guess is the '08 pick is conditional. My concern is that a Carr trade is finalized because this trade would cause the Texans to lose a lot of leverage in dealing Carr.

Just thinking out loud here....if we kept Carr on the roster through the preseason, then there's a pretty good chance that some QB injuries could increase our leverage.

Realistically, I think that he'll just end up getting released.

rollinstone18
03-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Not so excited any more, well still a little excited but that price for that was higher then I hoped.

I think this pretty much locks us in for D with the 1st rounder

If the above is true.

Agreed.

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 01:23 PM
i called those ***** holes at 610 about a month or two ago and brought the idea up about shwab and they laughed at me and said no way we give up draft picks to get shwab next question....... well how do you like me now, i think he is great i have seen him play a couple of times when vick was out and he has alot of poise in the pocket which is something we dont have now in dc. way to go texans.:yahoo:
they probably laughed because you kept calling schaub shwab.

TexanSam
03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
I bet if we offered Carr and Stanley to the Raiders we could get the top pick.

srstex
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
So Matt has attempted 161 pases, 81 comp ( 50% ) 6td, 6+ int, and he's the starter ? This is good for the team, BUT if we GIVE him the starter job, AND we don't go 9 -7, then this is just the FO caving into press pressure, to make something happen. Last year was this teams 4 OC in 5 years, this year Sherman, next year ? Let's not go over board, until Matt actually does something, he's at best a Romo, and at worst we are back to square one.
And for Carr, I think it would be great to see him with a new team go to the playoff's

pv1999
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Man, we got hosed AGAIN. Maybe SCHWAB or SWAB or whoever will do well enough to win us a couple of games. If so he is worth it.

Errant Hothy
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
And Kolb, and Kalil...it was danged expensive...the worst was the second in '08. We go into the '08 draft in the hole one more time. Just mind boggeling.

Kalil wasn't going to fall to our 2nd rounder, and teh 2nd is to high to take Kolb. Plus Schaub is a better QB the Kolb.

Second Honeymoon
I thought #10 is where Landry was projected to go...Amobi Okoye would be a nice pick there. As would be Levi Brown. I don't think there's a huge drop-off from #8 to #10.

if this deal is indeed involving dropping to #10 then we will be picking between Nelson, L.Brown, Carriker, Branch, Hall, and mayyyybe Landry.

to be honest, I would be happy with any of those guys...and they may feel likewise and didnt want it to be a 'deal breaker'. i sure hope not. 2 2nd rounders or swap 1st rounders and a 2nd round pick. 2 picks and a drop is too much imho. But if Schaub ends up solidifying our QB position for the foreseeable future, I dont think any Texans fan will be that upset about it in the end.

Dime
??
we're dropping from #8 to #10, giving them our 2nd and next yrs 2nd

im fine with swapping picks but its the extra 2nd that bites

it probably conditional

threetoedpete
hey man, im sorry 'your boy' is on the out but don't try and predict disaster for OUR team and OUR new QB before he has had one snap as a Texan. If you want to give Carr 5 or more years of patience, how about you give Schaub one freaking snap....now go sit in your corner

You've just traded one DC for another one. That is all. My "boy" is off to greener pastures and I'm very happy for him. One thing about it...by '09, there's going to a whole bunch of folks finally in my band wagon there old hoss. It ain't the QB. I have every faith that Matt Scaub is going to prove that 100 % now. At least that dragon will get slain with this move on this board. You got what you wanted, and the spin this afternoon will be supurb I'm sure...what it means is that Kubes is saying to get to 500 all we needed was a new QB...We're going to see big guy. Salaam and Black are my aces in the hole.

Sportsfan
I'm down w/Shaub but don't like that we're possibly giving up a 2nd rounder this year and next year. Don't like giving up draft picks, period. No matter who is in the equation.

Daonly
We still can get Peterson or Landy or Nelson at #10 for less money.. so we are saving money. 2nd in 08 maybe conditional on how Schuabs plays, It's not official yet. Hopefully we can Get Raiders 3rd for Carr or Moss! Schuab 2 years younger than Carr by the way. :elmo:

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:29 PM
lol its funny how you know all the carr supporters because they're predicting all doom and gloom

infantrycak
03-21-2007, 01:29 PM
My concern is that a Carr trade is finalized because this trade would cause the Texans to lose a lot of leverage in dealing Carr.

Funny, the guys on 790 just swapped spit agreeing to exactly the opposite--that this gave the Texans more leverage.

pv1999
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
So Matt has attempted 161 pases, 81 comp ( 50% ) 6td, 6+ int, and he's the starter ? This is good for the team, BUT if we GIVE him the starter job, AND we don't go 9 -7, then this is just the FO caving into press pressure, to make something happen. Last year was this teams 4 OC in 5 years, this year Sherman, next year ? Let's not go over board, until Matt actually does something, he's at best a Romo, and at worst we are back to square one.
And for Carr, I think it would be great to see him with a new team go to the playoff's

AMEN. People act like he's an illegitimate Manning brother or something.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
it probably conditional

thats what im hoping- even if it was a 3rd next yr id be fine...plus who knows despite all the shrieks of robbery it may still look like a bargain if schaub performs as hoped

texansturningthecorner
Schaub

SORRY

dalemurphy
Funny, the guys on 790 just swapped spit agreeing to exactly the opposite--that this gave the Texans more leverage.

Those guys are idiots, huh!... It gives the Texans more freedom to trade him but I think it gives the prospective trading partner more power- am I delusional?

infantrycak
03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I bet if someone does the point chart, it would probably be equal to the 1st and 3rd round tender. It ends up being a fair deal, not a GOOD one.

It isn't even close. A 2nd next year is considered equivalent to a 3rd this year so in effect the value is a 2nd and 3rd this year vs. a 1st and 3rd. Our 1st rounder is worth 1400 points while our 2nd is worth about 500 pts.

real
03-21-2007, 01:33 PM

I heard that, and I don't know if I agree....

I don't see how this gives us more leverage....

I heard them explain it, but I don't know if I really followed what they were saying...

michaelm

Dropping two spots in the first doesn't sting as bad as the 2008 second rounder for me personlly...
If we get a third for Carr in this year's draft, I'll be pretty OK with it...

Second Honeymoon

gotta agree. i want to see the official deal before i pass judgement though. if its 2 2nd rounders in consecutive years and 2 slots in this years 1st round then it was very costly and personally, I would have not pulled the trigger.

the original deal sounded awesome and its gone downhill since in reports.

great deal
2nd round pick and a conditional pick for schaub

decent deal
2nd round pick and swapping drafting positions for schaub

highway robbery
2nd round picks in 2007 and 2008 AND swapping draft positions in 1st

and to the person who wants Kalil in 2nd round..that aint happening..he would be perfect for our line though...our biggest need imho is Center

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
actually, if the cost is that prohibitive, its a bad trade and you are correct in assuming he would be the anointed starter...

no way in hell they are giving up a 1st rounder for him though....no way

No you don't....you've been banging the drum for two years now....no crawldaddying there SH. And you've been prety much "at any costs". Well you've got it now...man up.

False Start
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Per 790am...

http://shopzone.wwe.com/newimages/images/W00625pi.jpg

DAMN ! :dangit:

Playmaker
03-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Those 790 guys seems to know about their stuff as much as the people who read this board. I felt like :brickwall when listening to them.

Who are those 2 guys on 790 right now so I know who I am calling incompetent?

HoustonFrog
lol its funny how you know all the carr supporters because they're predicting all doom and gloom

They are in this thread?:) I could have sworn that I have been told 30 times that I'm a fool and that I'd gnaw my leg off when Carr comes back to camp and STARTS. Where are those guys?

JAXwithanX
Welcome to Houston Mr. Okeye.

Dime
AMEN. People act like he's an illegitimate Manning brother or something.

Wow.. Already with Bashers... Why dont you give him a chance before you all start talking. EVERY TEAM inquired on Schaub because he is the best backup on the board and project to be a starter on quite a few teams. Give him a chance.

real
...man up.

:wild:

I LOVE THE DEAL...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT

pv1999
If DC went to ATL and Ron Mexico got injured.....and ATL went to the playoffs, while "Peyton" Schaub comes here and we win one more game than we did last year......Will that signal the beginning of the end for the Kubiak era or will he get five years too?

Seņor Stan

Security, yes. Leverage, no.

Porky
03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about. This is an excllent deal. We get an up and coming starting QB far superior to any we had on the roster, and all we give up is 2 2nd rounders and swap 2 spots in the 1st rd? Are you kidding me? Good QB's don't just grow on trees.

The way I see it, we were going to pick a QB in either rd 1, 2 or 3. Let's say we had drafted a rookie in rd 2. Instead we just drafted a young more proven and seasoned vet in rd 2. In return, we get some kind of compensation for Carr, so we need to see there. Also, we can always try to trade down and recoup one or both 2nd rounders. But, even if Carr is cut, and we stay at #10, this is an excellent deal.

The comments of some about how Schaub's numbers aren't good proves the old adage that liars figure and figures lie. I have seen Schaub play. Apparently, you guys have not. The guy can play rings around Carr. You guys can have Carr and his high competion percentage. Give me Schaub and his so called bad numbers any day. I never thought it was possible because I thought we had to surrender a 1st and 3rd. Great deal, and the greatest day in Texans history to this point. :francis: :drunk: :marionaner:

texansturningthecorner
03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Schaub

SORRY

Maddict5
Welcome to Houston Mr. Okeye.

i dont know why but ive had that gut feeling all along also- him or hall imo

infantrycak
Who are those 2 guys on 790 right now so I know who I am calling incompetent?

Ted Deluca and John Lopez (from the Chronicle).

The logic that this gives the Texans more leverage in trading Carr is charitably characterized as convoluted IMO. More likely, imaginary.

hollywood_texan
gotta agree. i want to see the official deal before i pass judgement though. if its 2 2nd rounders in consecutive years and 2 slots in this years 1st round then it was very costly and personally, I would have not pulled the trigger.

the original deal sounded awesome and its gone downhill since in reports.

great deal
2nd round pick and a conditional pick for schaub

decent deal
2nd round pick and swapping drafting positions for schaub

highway robbery
2nd round picks in 2007 and 2008 AND swapping draft positions in 1st

and to the person who wants Kalil in 2nd round..that aint happening..he would be perfect for our line though...our biggest need imho is Center

Agreed, but I believe they are going to use the Carr trade to offset the expensive trade for Schuab.

It will be Casserly logic, we got a 2nd round pick for Carr, so we really only paid one 2nd round pick.

Why not just trade Carr for a 2nd and don't do the Schuab trade and sit tight on the QB position.

The Texans are just so concerned about having some Big Name as the QB at any point in time.

Something tells me McNair is pushing this whole thing, get rid of Carr and you have to get another respectable name as the starter.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I go to class, come back, and my cell has 12 missed calls and this happens. Most interesting day.

srstex
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Does anyone here remember Scott Mitchell ? Let me tell you, Mitchell was Marino's back-up, came in looked good traded to the Lions with Barry Sanders and wow they looked great-NOT. Before you say ABC get a grip on reality, this move has all the makings of the beginning of a great team, or will go down as the second big mistake of this FO.
With the signings so far this off season I thought we were headed in the right direction, and this is a good pick up, but not the one that will take us to the playoffs.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM

The logic that this gives the Texans more leverage in trading Carr is charitably characterized as convoluted IMO. More likely, imaginary.

Those two guys are sooo hard to listen to. They are always trying too hard to get ratings. I havent turned to that station in a month.

real
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about. This is an excllent deal. We get an up and coming starting QB far superior to any we had on the roster, and all we give up is 2 2nd rounders and swap 2 spots in the 1st rd? Are you kidding me? Good QB's don't just grow on trees.

The way I see it, we were going to pick a QB in either rd 1, 2 or 3. Let's say we had drafted a rookie in rd 2. Instead we just drafted a young more proven and seasoned vet in rd 2. In return, we get some kind of compensation for Carr, so we need to see there. Also, we can always try to trade down and recoup one or both 2nd rounders. But, even if Carr is cut, and we stay at #10, this is an excellent deal.

The comments of some about how Schaub's numbers aren't good proves the old adage that liars figure and figures lie. I have seen Schaub play. Apparently, you guys have not. The guy can play rings around Carr. You guys can have Carr and his high competion percentage. Give me Schaub and his so called bad numbers any day. I never thought it was possible because I thought we had to surrender a 1st and 3rd. Great deal, and the greatest day in Texans history to this point. :francis: :drunk: :marionaner:

I'm 100% with you on this...

Excellent deal for us...

bigTEXan8
03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
this is going to be the best thing for carr. this is one step closerget him out of a krappy organization that doesn't know how to help a qb. i don't care what pitts says. no qb can have faith in a line that contributed to 200+ sacks in five seasons. that example on espn was brilliant, and the only reason pitts was upset was because it was true. as for schaub...i think the texans are going to be severely disappointed. my personal opinion says that he's completely overrated. the only reason he looks like a good "qb" is because vick looks horrible as a "qb", which isn't exactly a high, shining example. i would look good as a "qb", and i'm only 5'9", 175 lbs soaking wet.

Seņor Stan
03-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Doing a little draft chartin'

Swapping 1sts = 100pts
#39 this year = 510 pts
mid second rd next year = 190 pts ( usually picks in next year's draft drop a rounds worth of value)

That makes for a total of 800 pts or the equivalent of the 21st pick of the draft this year. It is also the same number of points it would take to move up to #3 this year.

This doesn't include whatever they can get for Carr in a trade ...

Maddict5
Does anyone here remember Scott Mitchell ? Let me tell you, Mitchell was Marino's back-up, came in looked good traded to the Lions with Barry Sanders and wow they looked great-NOT. Before you say ABC get a grip on reality, this move has all the makings of the beginning of a great team, or will go down as the second big mistake of this FO.
With the signings so far this off season I thought we were headed in the right direction, and this is a good pick up, but not the one that will take us to the playoffs.

steve young, brett favre, matt hasseelback etc etc

dude you're a carr homer we get it but dont be all doom and gloom before you see him play

Second Honeymoon
You've just traded one DC for another one. That is all. My "boy" is off to greener pastures and I'm very happy for him. One thing about it...by '09, there's going to a whole bunch of folks finally in my band wagon there old hoss. It ain't the QB. I have every faith that Matt Scaub is going to prove that 100 % now. At least that dragon will get slain with this move on this board. You got what you wanted, and the spin this afternoon will be supurb I'm sure...what it means is that Kubes is saying to get to 500 all we needed was a new QB...We're going to see big guy. Salaam and Black are my aces in the hole.

so you are actually hoping that this deal doesnt work out so your zealotry towards Carr can be somehow validated? cmon now. I only asked that you give the guy a freaking snap before you pass judgement especially since many people gave Carr a 5 year GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card.

Schaub gets two years. If he doesnt help lead this team to a winning record in the next 2 years, he will be on the hot seat.

If you are a fan of the Texans, act like one and not just the fan of one very very average football player in Carr.

powerfuldragon
wow. over 200 in an hour or so.

santo
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM

I don't remember Scott Mitchell, but I remember Favre coming out of Atlanta.....:)

Porky

But what if the parameters for a deal were already in place prior to the trade for Schaub? If Hulk is right, they have a deal in principle already with the Raiders. If so, it doesn't impact it either way. They just complete the deal. That's what I think is going to happen, and it's extremely smart of them to have done it like this if that is the case.

michaelm
Does anyone here remember Scott Mitchell ? Let me tell you, Mitchell was Marino's back-up, came in looked good traded to the Lions with Barry Sanders and wow they looked great-NOT.

I counter this argument with Trent Green and Matt Haaselbeck... which are very close parallels, IIRC.

Playmaker

John Lopez...he's the one that's talking out of his arse...much like Rich Lord on 610...

Maddict5
I'm 100% with you on this...

Excellent deal for us...

yeah its still a good deal... people are just disappointed because it looked at first like we got a real bargain

Silver Oak
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I could have sworn that I have been told 30 times that I'm a fool

If it'll make you happy, we'll still call you a fool. :)

Look if you want, but I never said DC would be the starter in camp, but what I did say is I wanted competition at the spot, as I want in all positions.

I don't know much if anyhing about Schaub, but if Smith and Kubiak like him, thats good enough for me.

Go Texans!

Koolaid Time
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
You have to sign up for the ajc to get the story

Falcons near deal to trade Schaub
Backup QB would be sent to Texans, contingent upon new contract

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/21/07

In potentially the biggest offseason move of the Falcons' offseason, backup quarterback Matt Schaub could be traded Wednesday to the Houston Texans for an undisclosed draft pick or picks, an NFL official familiar with the situation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Houston and Atlanta were in deep discussions about a trade Wednesday afternoon, but a deal could not be finalized until Schaub, a restricted free agent, reaches a new contract with Houston. There is a possibility the deal could fall through.

Houston did not sign Schaub to an offer sheet, which would have required the Texans to send first- and third-round picks to Atlanta.

If Schaub, a three-year veteran, is traded, second-year Georgia product D.J. Shockley moves in the No. 2 role, for now, behind starter Michael Vick. The Falcons likely will sign a veteran quarterback to compete for the backup job.

Houston quarterback David Carr could soon be on the open market, since acquiring Schaub would seemingly end his tenure after being drafted in the first round in 2002.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I go to class, come back, and my cell has 12 missed calls and this happens. Most interesting day.

Yeah bud, we have always been on the same side of the Carr fence but there was the guarantee he would be here and play through his contract.:)

Playmaker
I counter this argument with Trent Green and Matt Haaselbeck... which are very close parallels, IIRC.

Wasn't Trent Green the starter for the Rams before he got hurt thereby opening the door for Kurt Warner?

Second Honeymoon

having schaub and sage gives us leverage in dealing with Carr. The other NFL teams know that we can save money by cutting him and releasing him into the waters of a 32 team open market of Carr's choosing.

swtbound07
bad day to be a carr lover

hollywood_texan
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Go look at the quotes of Casserly on the Buchannon deal, and your logic is very similar to Casserly's when talking about that deal.

I agree with you that a good, and even a great QB, are hard to come by. But, that doesn't mean Schuab is the guy.

This is a very expensive deal considering the holes on this team.

If this deal goes badly, it will go badly for Kubiak and Smith.

They are basically putting most of their chips down very early in the game.

IMO, they are not being patient with this QB situation and really forcing the issue on someone that may not deliver or be a good fit.

Bottom line, Schuab is going to have to carry the load of the Texans, and we know most QBs in the NFL can't do that. Just because you pay expensively for Schuab means he is going to be successful.

Time will tell...

real
yeah its still a good deal... people are just disappointed because it looked at first like we got a real bargain

pretty much...

But this shouldn't come as a shock...

David Carr was going to be replaced come hell or highwater...been saying it for months now...

JAXwithanX
ESPN is now reporting the first round flip-flop and 07 and 08's 2nd round picks.

Which is still acceptable considering we were going to spend a 2nd on a completely unproven QB anyways. Basically we fell two spots and gave up a next year 2nd for a very highly regarded young QB with experience.

Sounds pretty awesome.....can't wait to see where Carr goes....and what we get for him. I wouldn't be suprised if there was already groundwork laid for that deal as well.

real
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
having schaub and sage gives us leverage in dealing with Carr. The other NFL teams know that we can save money by cutting him and releasing him into the waters of a 32 team open market of Carr's choosing.

That makes sense....

kind of...

texanfan2002114
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Len P from espn is reporting

"When the trade is completed, Atlanta and Houston will flip-flop first-round picks in April's draft, and Atlanta will receive Houston's second-round picks in 2007 and 2008. The deal likely will be completed later Wednesday afternoon. Houston has the No. 8 pick in the first round of the draft, while Atlanta is slotted 10th."

To much in my opinion. I liked it when it was just a 2nd.

michaelm
03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
so you are actually hoping that this deal doesnt work out so your zealotry towards Carr can be somehow validated? cmon now. I only asked that you give the guy a freaking snap before you pass judgement especially since many people gave Carr a 5 year GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card.

Schaub gets two years. If he doesnt help lead this team to a winning record in the next 2 years, he will be on the hot seat.

If you are a fan of the Texans, act like one and not just the fan of one very very average football player in Carr.

Wow, this is a remarkable day, indeed...
The Texans get a starting QB, and I agree with something that you said... amazing... :)

HoustonFrog
If it'll make you happy, we'll still call you a fool. :)

Look if you want, but I never said DC would be the starter in camp, but what I did say is I wanted competition at the spot, as I want in all positions.

I don't know much if anyhing about Schaub, but if Smith and Kubiak like him, thats good enough for me.

Go Texans!

LOL..at me?I'm not the one who has ever made personal attacks. That must be some group of "we.":). I guess blind loyalty trumps genuine football knowledge and impartiality.

Well at least we agree on "Go Texans."

My Hero
They are in this thread?:) I could have sworn that I have been told 30 times that I'm a fool and that I'd gnaw my leg off when Carr comes back to camp and STARTS. Where are those guys?

Here I am, there's no trade of Carr confirmed yet. Big deal Schaub is not a done deal yet.

rmartin65
Wow, was not expecting this. I dont really know if this is a good idea, I was thinking they were gonna upgrade the line in the 2nd.

1-3
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Swapping 1sts = 100pts
#39 this year = 510 pts
mid second rd next year = 190 pts ( usually picks in next year's draft drop a rounds worth of value)

That makes for a total of 800 pts or the equivalent of the 21st pick of the draft this year. It is also the same number of points it would take to move up to #3 this year.

This doesn't include whatever they can get for Carr in a trade ...

I think Adrian Peterson or Joe Thomas with Sage at QB sounds better.

Tulip

And the Texans have removed Schaub from the market, so each team looking for a QB now has one less option.

Playmaker

Where's the leverage? Other teams that want him will just wait till the Texans just waive him...no repercussion for the team getting him.

Seņor Stan
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Typical Schaub homer rhetoric. :)

Koolaid Time
03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Atlanta Paper confirms deal..

See other thread...

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah bud, we have always been on the same side of the Carr fence but there was the guarantee he would be here and play through his contract.:)

Meh...I always said my information was only as current as the day it was stated. I gave ya'll what i heard. You want a Mea Culpa? Here it is....The world changed on me, and I couldn't keep up.

Maddict5

how about matt schaub and AP

JAXwithanX

Well neither of those players were going to be there at 8 regardless. So whether is sounds better is a non-issue.

Grid
#1 That still is not a bad deal.

#2 Quit being so pessimistic

#3 Am I the only guy here who remembers that we still have Carr? He is gonna get traded. We may be getting back that 2nd rounder next year..and some interest.

Pip
Man I love this trade! I have watched Schaub come in for an injured Vick on two occasions and I have said for two years that he is better than at least 1/3 of the current NFL starters. Last year I was sooo disappointed that my other team (Vikings) brought him in for a visit (Schaub even met with a realtor), but couldn't close the deal because Atl wanted a 1st and 2nd for him.

Unfortuantely, I don't think anyone will trade for carr and his salary and we will release him....but then again, there is always the raiders!

bigbrewster2000
Here I am, there's no trade of Carr confirmed yet. Big deal Schaub is not a done deal yet.

Ok we will make fun of you again tomorrow when the deal is finalized then. IT IS HAPPENING AS WE SPEAK GET OVER IT!!!

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
God I hope this works out, but this screams Jay Feeley

Nicky Santoro
Should have gone with Rosenfels and drafted K. Kolb in the third.
Oh well. Par for the course.

Seņor Stan
Where's the leverage? Other teams that want him will just wait till the Texans just waive him...no repercussion for the team getting him.

If the rumors about Oakland coveting Calvin Johnson are true, they can't wait until June for the release. I think the Texans lose a little leverage in trading Carr, but they would have lost it in dealing with Atlanta if Carr had already been dealt.

Better to get the guy you want vs. getting stuck with the one you don't.

RTP2110
This is not a bad deal. You gotta give somethin to get somethin.

Pip
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
And the Texans have removed Schaub from the market, so each team looking for a QB now has one less option.

but presumably add carr to the list for a net change of zero...

threetoedpete

Leave 'em be there srstex, there in the blissfull post DC stupor. They're going to figure it out pretty quick sometime during the '07 sesaon. The first guys who trun on him will be the same folks who are pro deal curently. The more things change the more they stay the same. All we got today was a new judas goat for the board. And the lose of a second round pick for the privalidge. Going to be a hoot next draft watching the names go off the board in the second round. At least it will put the Hollings deal in our rear veiw mirror.

Spike
Crazy...I didnt' see this move coming. Like anything else, this is going to be a gamble, but the consensus around the league is that Schaub is a starting calliber QB...and he is still young. I would feel much better about this move if I knew what the plans were with Carr and what we may be getting for him. I hate sacraficing the second pick in next year's draft.

All in all, this team needed to go another direction at QB and I'd rather take a gamble on a young QB who has been in the league for a couple years than a rookie. This guy should be able to come in and play.

Vinny
Im So Happy I Think I'll Post In All Caps Today!

damn cap censor

michaelm
Wasn't Trent Green the starter for the Rams before he got hurt thereby opening the door for Kurt Warner?

He did start for them, but only five total gmes in 2000. I'm not sure he was ever their "starter" per se...
One thing I never realized is that he started 14 games for the 'Skins in '98.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Agreed, but I believe they are going to use the Carr trade to offset the expensive trade for Schuab.

It will be Casserly logic, we got a 2nd round pick for Carr, so we really only paid one 2nd round pick.

that is hilarious but honest on how brutally dumb Asserley was. has the deal been officially detailed yet? i am still holding out hope its just 1 2nd rounder and a conditional with a swap of 1st round picks (drop from 8 to 10).

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM

See this is why I respect you:)

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Im So Happy I Think I'll Post In All Caps Today!

damn cap censor

HEY VINNY IT MIGHT BE TIME FOR THE NEW NAME...........(damn I'm still thinking :dance2: )

Vinny
but presumably add carr to the list for a net change of zero...
Carr has always been on the market this year....teams just don't want to give much for him.

Ckw
Could anyone tell me what the exact deals of the trade are? Is it just a second for Schaub? Or did we give up more?

HoustonFrog
Meh...I always said my information was only as current as the day it was stated. I gave ya'll what i heard. You want a Mea Culpa? Here it is....The world changed on me, and I couldn't keep up.

Its ok, I just thought a little ribbing would be all good.

Koolaid Time
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Falcons near deal to trade Schaub
Backup QB would be sent to Texans, contingent upon new contractBy

STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/21/07

In potentially the biggest offseason move of the Falcons' offseason, backup quarterback Matt Schaub could be traded Wednesday to the Houston Texans for an undisclosed draft pick or picks, an NFL official familiar with the situation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Houston and Atlanta were in deep discussions about a trade Wednesday afternoon, but a deal could not be finalized until Schaub, a restricted free agent, reaches a new contract with Houston. There is a possibility the deal could fall through.

Houston did not sign Schaub to an offer sheet, which would have required the Texans to send first- and third-round picks to Atlanta.

If Schaub, a three-year veteran, is traded, second-year Georgia product D.J. Shockley moves in the No. 2 role, for now, behind starter Michael Vick. The Falcons likely will sign a veteran quarterback to compete for the backup job.

Houston quarterback David Carr could soon be on the open market, since acquiring Schaub would seemingly end his tenure after being drafted in the first round in 2002.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/21/0322falcons.html?cxntnid=bn032107e

Dunta_23
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I somehow hope that AD falls to 8 and the Falcons draft him...I dont like this deal at all....I wasnt even crazy about it when it was just 1 2nd round pick...let alone 2 2nds and a swap of firsts....Rick Smith took a beating on this deal IMO....Schaub has proven absolutely nothing to this point to be giving up essentially a first round pick for(which is what all the picks add up to)...I hate the fact of giving up the 2 2nds more than the swap of picks in the first...

I think there would have been a top tier DB available at #39 that would have been able to help out in the long run...I guess all the Sage lovers are sad today cause their guy seems to still be the backup...I hope Carr gets a third this yr and a third next yr at least or I will be VERY dissapointed in the FO with this deal.

Carr Bombed
I hate this deal!

different staff.....same mistakes

What is it with this team and 2nd round draft picks

How could you hate the deal, I could give more production that our QB did down the stretch last year

ccdude730
schaub will be on the hotlist. coming up next i think?

Porky
Go look at the quotes of Casserly on the Buchannon deal, and your logic is very similar to Casserly's when talking about that deal.

I agree with you that a good, and even a great QB, are hard to come by. But, that doesn't mean Schuab is the guy.

This is a very expensive deal considering the holes on this team.

If this deal goes badly, it will go badly for Kubiak and Smith.

They are basically putting most of their chips down very early in the game.

IMO, they are not being patient with this QB situation and really forcing the issue on someone that may not deliver or be a good fit.

Bottom line, Schuab is going to have to carry the load of the Texans, and we know most QBs in the NFL can't do that. Just because you pay expensively for Schuab means he is going to be successful.

Time will tell...

If you were here when the Pbuc deal came down, I thought it was terrible. So, I look at each situation individually. To a certain extent, CC used some of this logic, but folks, we gave up essentially the same friggin amount for a 2nd rate CB with a failed track record. The SAME amount for a stinkin CB that wouln't start on most teams. And the boards were lit up with talk about what a great move it was. Now, we for the first time in our entire history will have legit QB play, and it's too much? Unreal.

So, your approach is to firggin GUESS on a draft pick, and hope you win the lottery? Ya, that worked so well with the guy that you personally come on here and tell us how bad he is. So, we finally make a move to get rid of the sludge, and all you can do is talk about holes on the team? Hello, you yourself say the biggest hole is at QB, or do you now all the sudden profess your undying love of Carr. You want to have your cake and eat it too, and it doesn't work like that in the real world.

I agree there is no absouloute guarantee, but we have a much higher likelhood of success with Schaub than a totally unproven rookie. This was an extrmely smart move, and Smith should be getting GM of the year honors as far as I am concenred, especially if he can get anything for Carr.