PDA

View Full Version : Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

GP
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Some of you need to get past the 2 2nd round picks we gave up.

Stop looking at the 2s and remain focused on how we have a Top 10 pick this year, in a draft where I think there are star-quality players to be had form picks 1-15.

We have a very good chance of picking up an immediate starter with our No. 10 pick.

Atlanta initially wanted a No. 1 for Schaub.

Now stop and think about us with no No. 10 pick. THAT would really be a sensitive subject right now, wouldn't it?

I dismiss the loss of round 2 picks, especially when we still have a Top 10 pick in a draft with great talent to be had in picks 1-15.

We got a good QB who had a higher price than what we had to pay, we have attempted to legitimize the RB spot with Ahman Green who is good at running, blocking, and pass catching, and we still have a Top 10 pick.

Too much focus on the loss of 2nd round picks. Does anyone even know the "slot" we would draft at with our 2008 2nd round pick? If it's a late rounder, it's not a total loss. What if it's conditional? They wanted a 1st and a 3rd, but now we're giving them a spot-swap in round one and a definite 2nd rounder in this year's draft. I could see the 2nd rounder becoming conditional in all the legalities of the deal. I guess we'll see soon enough when it gets finalized.

I sometimes think that some of you guys here are so accustomed to the lack of big time moves that you're whiplashed when we actually pull one off.

Everything's a gamble in the NFL.

I just happen to like THIS particular gambling move better than any of the ones we've ever made.

TigerV1
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I do not really know anymore.This is too much for me to handle with all the Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson talk. I have no idea what direction Kubiak and RS are going and it makes me feel uneasy.

The direction is up. This move might just be the most gutsy and important move in Texans history. If Schaub comes in and falls on his face then Smith and Kubiak as well as most NFL experts were wrong, but if Schaub comes in and performs well (like most believe he will) then we come out on top with this trade. I like it.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I think I am going to be sick.:wild:

Here is what the Texans are thinking. Could 2 2nd Round Picks get a Top 5 pick to grab Quinn or Russell? No. They felt that Schaub (only 25) was as good if not better risk than Quinn or Russell (and cheaper). This way they keep their 1st Round pick (still allowing DB help from hall, nelson, landry, or perhaps someone falls to 10 like gaines) and get their QB that could actually be the Quarterback Of The Future. Guy is only 25 and already has a good grasp on being a QB in the NFL.

Would you rather have Quinn and Aaron Ross and another 2nd Round pick - or - Landry/Nelson and Schaub? The Texans chose the latter and think that this gives us a chance to win now. I would have rather next years pick been a 3rd Round that could turn into a 2nd Round if we are 9-7 or better. Something like that.

Its a new day for the Texans. I hope things go well. I am already all geeked up for the season.

Playmaker
03-21-2007, 04:05 PM
You can keep on talking all the nonsense you want, but a freaking blind man can get lucky and throw up a pass and score a TD in the last 10 games of a season......I guess you can say every blind man has his day, also known as Carr day.

I do find it funny you keep on bringing up phrases like "your next heroic feat" or "ballet", when you were the one that tried to call me out as a bum, when your probably the one who can't make it across the livingroom without hitting the oxygen tank ........but whatever. Carr is nothing special and isn't worth the money he's getting paid and thats the bottom line.

No, again, all I was saying that you couldn't have done a better job, much less the blind man. Talking out of one's arse on a board and actually being an NFL QB are 2 different things, I hope you'll allow me that assumption.

So you're not a fan of Carr...that's great, let's move on.

PS. Yeah I can get to fridge without breaking a sweat...you wanna time me...LOL

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 04:06 PM
The direction is up. This move might just be the most gutsy and important move in Texans history. If Schaub comes in and falls on his face then Smith and Kubiak as well as most NFL experts were wrong, but if Schaub comes in and performs well (like most believe he will) then we come out on top with this trade. I like it.

I thought we valued our draft picks under this new regime.This was our chance to start over and build our team from the ground up.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Who knew that so many people would be excited by having 2 back up QB's and a QB lots on this board refer to as a back up. WhooooHeeee we have 3 back ups and 2 back up back ups.

translation: my peepee hurts.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Another bad move by the FO. The nightmare continues. When will they stop being taken advantage by the other NFL teams. This deal stinks "another backup to be starter". In that case start Sage and pick a rookie quarterback in the draft. Schaub started two games in 3 years and lost both.

Shaub has always been regarded as a better player than Sage or any rookie for that matter. The kid is highly touted for a reason and with his skills, he seems to fit our scheme very well. I don't think it is neccesary for you to jump off the cliff on your first post. You should wait til the 10th one. Welcome aboard.:snobord:

reelumin
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
TigerV1 how can you assume this Schaub guy is gonna perform? He was a 3rd round pick and hasn't done anything in the NFL. The GM in Atlanta is the one doing a great job by marketing him to be great and Smith is taking the bait.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I thought we valued our draft picks under this new regime.This was our chance to start over and build our team from the ground up.

This move doesn't signify starting over to you?

The Dream
03-21-2007, 04:11 PM
never mind I just read through some of the pages and this might actually turn out pretty good....

so what exactly is the current deal as of right now? (I see a buch of reports from different sources)

HOU-TEX
TigerV1 how can you assume this Schaub guy is gonna perform? He was a 3rd round pick and hasn't done anything in the NFL. The GM in Atlanta is the one doing a great job by marketing him to be great and Smith is taking the bait.

How can you assume anyone drafted is going to perform? Schaub has a much better chance for success considering 3 years experience and a little playing time.:)

El Amigo Invisible
This move doesn't signify starting over to you?

by giving away draft picks ? That 's what I do not understand.I know we could get Schuab for ONE (UNO) second round pick.

Nawzer
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
All Matt Schaub has to do is play better than David Carr. Which is not asking much...

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
All Matt Schaub has to do is play better than David Carr. Which is not asking much...

Will he be better than Vince Young? Sorry I had to go there.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
never mind I just read through some of the pages and this might actually turn out pretty good....

so what exactly is the current deal as of right now? (I see a buch of reports from different sources)

the deal is Schaub for 2 2nd rounders and we swap #8 and #10 picks.

so basically we throw a pick away and draft Schaub in the 2nd Round this year. We then drop to #10 and still get one of 'our guys'

the deal isnt the greatest but not a Hershel Walker trade disaster. It is still a good day Dream. A very good day. A new beginning.

that is the consensus detail of the deal. there have been a few different versions and I actually hope its a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year (that could turn into 2nd round with good performance out of Schaub). They wanted a 1st Round, we gave them 2 2nds. We may try and package our 3rd and other picks (maybe from Carr's deal) to move back up to 2nd round to get a Center not named Kalil.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM

How can You assume that a rookie will perform? A QB with 3 years under his belt probably has a better chance of doing so than a rookie does.

reelumin
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Bigbrewster I follow football closely and a long time season ticket holder (since the Oilers). You are probably a Mario "do nothing" Williams fan who cheered when they picked him last year with the #1 pick. This trade goes along the same line "dumb move".

Errant Hothy
03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
A poster on teh KFFL message board is reporting that a radio station, 790 the sports monster (sstupid name) is reporting that Schaub signed for 5 yrs 20 million.

Yes I know how fourth hand this is, but it's the only info I've seen on the contract

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Who knew that so many people would be excited by having 2 back up QB's and a QB lots on this board refer to as a back up. WhooooHeeee we have 3 back ups and 2 back up back ups.

Yes and we know that one of the back-ups can't start because he has tried and has not worked out. At least the new back-up QB will now have a chance to start and see how he performs compared to the back-up that was starting and not doing so well.

humbleone

Well said...and this move is actually very disturbing on several fronts.

Nawzer

As long as the Texans are better than VY I'll be happy:yahoo:

TigerV1

Just because he was a 3rd round pick doesn't mean anything. I assume he will perform because I believe the hype. If it turns out the hype was wrong then we lose out. There is a huge upside and downside to this. I just like the upside too much to think this is a bad move.

Silver Oak
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Well, they're saying he has a good pocket presence, so that gives him high marks over VY right there.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
by giving away draft picks ? That 's what I do not understand.I know we could get Schuab for ONE (UNO) second round pick.

You know this how? No one knows the actual perameters of this deal yet. What we do know for sure is that a second round pick is envolved and really nothing else. We will find out the rest tomorrow. And yes we now have a new starting QB, which to me signifies starting over. Good move PERIOD.

afcman
03-21-2007, 04:18 PM
How can You assume that a rookie will perform? A QB with 3 years under his belt probably has a better chance of doing so than a rookie does.

I agree. I think the Broncos put Cutler in way too early. Arizona did the same thing. I'd like to see us get a QB in the draft next year. For our needs RIGHT NOW, I like this move. :yahoo:

dirty steve
03-21-2007, 04:18 PM

right now the most common compensation rumored is moving to #10 overall in this draft and moving our #2 picks in 2007 and 2008.

ThaShark316
03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Bigbrewster I follow football closely and a long time season ticket holder (since the Oilers). You are probably a Mario "do nothing" Williams fan who cheered when they picked him last year with the #1 pick. This trade goes along the same line "dumb move".

So easy to be effective with probably one of the most NAGGING injury in sports...especially football and basketball.

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree. I think the Broncos put Cutler in way too early. Arizona did the same thing. I'd like to see us get a QB in the draft next year. For our needs RIGHT NOW, I like this move. :yahoo:

No Boy Band for all the ladies out there!

Pip
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM

No way, Atl standing offer has always been a 1st and a 2nd. The vikings tried to get him last year for less, but Atl wouldn't budge. He was tendered at the highest level this year (1st & 3rd).

freedoggy77
03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
and this after all the hullabaloo that the Texans WILL NOT give up draft picks

reelumin
03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Backup QB is not worth two second rounders and a move down in the 1st round. He hasn't done anything in the NFL and you give this much for him. Dumb. I you draft a QB you keep the picks and hope the rookie QB pans out. Your giving up picks and hope a past 3rd rd QB pans out? Doesn't make sense.

Ckw
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Backup QB is not worth two second rounders and a move down in the 1st round. He hasn't done anything in the NFL and you give this much for him. Dumb. I you draft a QB you keep the picks and hope the rookie QB pans out. Your giving up picks and hope a past 3rd rd QB pans out? Doesn't make sense.

You sign up for the board to post this? Well I respect your opinion but could respect it more if you had a few more opinions...

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 04:23 PM
and this after all the hullabaloo that the Texans WILL NOT give up draft picks

EXACTLY!

Malloy

He did'nt, he actually listed the possibility of both a success and a failure.

El Amigo Invisible

I am in agreement with all of you! This has never happened before....am i on the right message board?

Second Honeymoon
Basically, if you were from the 'our team has too many holes to draft a QB in the 1st Round' school, well now you get your cake and eat it too. your gonna have a little less cake next year but who wants to wait for cake?

win now baby....its what the NFL is all about with all the parity and FA movement

Trap_Star
03-21-2007, 04:24 PM
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[name],value[SCHAUB]&set=key[number],value[7]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p1685555_customback.chain]

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 04:24 PM

There's been a few good QB's in later rounds.. Just look at what our Number 1 QB pick got us..

My Hero
03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I watched Schaub play against Philly. Vick was stinking it up and got pulled for a series because he he broke a nail or something. The Eagles had his number and were shutting him down.

Enter Matt Schaub....the ball starts moving down the field....first downs are getting made...and it turned out that their "crappy" receivers could actually catch the ball.

The next series...Vick comes back in and gets shut down again.

From what I've seen, he's a damn good QB. It's pretty obvious that the people that are down on him haven't seen him play.

Gee if they shut down Vick and couldn't win the game, then why not give Schaub some more looks?

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Gee if they shut down Vick and couldn't win the game, then why not give Schaub some more looks?

for the same reason that Sage didnt get promoted over Carr last year. $$$$

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Same reason certain people keep wanting to give Carr more time.

potisyourfriend

I guess you don't think money is involved huh? Vick gets alot of cash for playing as a QB for the Falcons.. And their Owner is in love with Vick, borderline man crush..

Blu
A msg from one of my buddies
I saw Schaub against PATS 2 years ago: QB Matt Schaub completed a career-high 18 passes on 34 attempts for a career-high 298 yards with a career-high three touchdowns. Looked good! It was only his 2nd start! Still can draft Kolb donít think he will go real high

bigbrewster2000

Hmm...first of all you aparently know nothing about me or anyone else on this message board. 3 posts and already begin the personal attacks. I also follow football and have since I was 5. I am not a season ticket holder but that simply has to do with monetary resources not for lack of love for my home town team. In other words I could care less if your a season ticket holder or not.

What does last years pick have to do with Matt Schaub? Don't answer, I will: NOTHING!
What do you know about me? Not a bleeping thing. I try to welcome you on this board and you act like a turd. Don't start getting pissy at me newbie. For the record I was furious about the Mario pick when it happened, but got over it and deal with it like everyone else here has.

Topher
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM

:highfive:

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Just a thought: This reminds me of the Dolphins giving up a 2nd for AJ Feely. Not saying Schaub won't pan out, just that it seems like too much of a risk and one that isn't a necessity.

It's a lot to give up for a QB who hasn't proven he can lead or become a legitimate starter in this league.

I feel for you, though. I definitely know what it feels like when almost everything your FO touches turns turdalicious.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM

see you arent even giving the guy one snap as a Texans QB before you throw him under the bus. you lose. go to Raiders Forum.

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Just a thought: This reminds me of the Dolphins giving up a 2nd for AJ Feely. Not saying Schaub won't pan out, just that it seems like too much of a risk and one that isn't a necessity.

It's a lot to give up for a QB who hasn't proven he can lead or become a legitimate starter in this league.

I feel for you, though. I definitely know what it feels like when almost everything your FO touches turns turdalicious.

LOL, nice name.. And I feel for Lions fans.. Houston aint got nothin on them with bad season after bad season..

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:34 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Specnatz again.

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
We didn't swap 1st's did we? I am hearing we will give up two #2's.

Do we still have Carr?

Janus3
03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
great deal imo. a little more than i'd like to give up but schaub is easily worth it. he's been brilliant in the games he's played.

Chrispy
Ahhh man I wanted to watch NFL network to get the information but they're showing the infamous Oilers vs. Bills game. I can't handle that right now.

potisyourfriend

Do we still have Carr?

Yes and we switched 1st rounders, now we pick 10th instead of 8th.. And gave them a 2nd rounder this year and next year.. It's on ESPN and this site..

TXGRL
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4649552.html

What do you guys think...I don't like it. I mean he seems fine, but trading the number 8 pick????

:club:

Janus3

Do we still have Carr?

houston drops from #8 to #10. can still get levi brown or laron landry. great deal for houston.

EZ_Goin
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM

Do we still have Carr?

Yes, yes, and yes.

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4649552.html

What do you guys think...I don't like it. I mean he seems fine, but trading the number 8 pick????

:club:

Are you Mrs. Robert Van Winkle?

Janus3
03-21-2007, 04:39 PM
it's almost certain carr is getting traded. if they can make up some ground and get a 3rd rounder it'd be sweet, a 2nd would be ideal, but a 3rd roundr would be huge.

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes and we switched 1st rounders, now we pick 10th instead of 8th.. And gave them a 2nd rounder this year and next year.. It's on ESPN and this site..

Just so I have clarification, we swapped 1st's, and gave up two 2nd's for a backup? This after we pass on Leinart and Young?

I ask only b/c I wanted to make sure which reality I am in.

reelumin
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Bigbrewster you don't have to welcome me as this is a public blog. No need for insults either right off the bat on my first post. I have an opinion and have expressed it on this possible QB trade. I am not jumping off a cliff by stating my displeasure for this trade. Too many bad moves have been made by this organization in the past and I believe this is one more. I hope I'm wrong this time if the trade goes through.

BigCraig51
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
He can't be much worse than Carr. Hopefully he will be the Tony Romo (excuse the fumbled FG) for the Texans. The backup that the fans wanted to see play. But the Falcons lose out and the Texans get to test the experiment. Not saying he will be great but probably better than what we have. Would you rather have a guaranteed losing (Carr) season or a chance of a losing season (anyone else)?

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Just so I have clarification, we swapped 1st's, and gave up two 2nd's for a backup? This after we pass on Leinart and Young?

Well I don't know what you've been taking but yes it's true...

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Your in the one where we just said no to Brady Quinn:) Sorry has to take that little jab. And there are conflicting reports, but the one that seems to be the most common is the one that you are refering to.

My Hero
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
So then I guess we're done with Sage and Carr VS Schaub for starting position? What? Hey you guys stop twitching, I'm just funnin ya!

Nawzer
Those of you complaining about trading away draft picks when the FO said they wouldn't: Get over it. It's very hard to believe anything anyone says during this time of the year and I've said it before. It's all about posturing and trying to get a better deal. Did we get a better deal? I don't know, only time will tell. But I believe this is a big step towards the right direction. Schaub was highly coveted and I believe the Vikings made a big push to get him Falcons wouldn't budge. Since Petrino had committed to playing Michael Vick it didn't make any sense to have an expensive backup like Schaub. I believe Kubiak wants to mould a qb and this move shows that Kubiak doesn't think Carr can be turned around or at least perform better than he did last year.

potisyourfriend
Funny thing is, I'm ok with this deal but would be mad if it was for their Starter..

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Bigbrewster you don't have to welcome me as this is a public blog. No need for insults either right off the bat on my first post. I have an opinion and have expressed it on this possible QB trade. I am not jumping off a cliff by stating my displeasure for this trade. Too many bad moves have been made by this organization in the past and I believe this is one more. I hope I'm wrong this time if the trade goes through.

That was sarcasm. Anyway I am not going to get into a battle with you and I also hope you are wrong. BTW people pretty typically welcome new posters here.

SamuraiSword
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
i called those ***** holes at 610 about a month or two ago and brought the idea up about shwab and they laughed at me and said no way we give up draft picks to get shwab next question....... well how do you like me now, i think he is great i have seen him play a couple of times when vick was out and he has alot of poise in the pocket which is something we dont have now in dc. way to go texans.:yahoo:

dayum you showed them :dance2:

dalemurphy
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM

So, in 1991, if a team offered SF two 2nd round picks for Steve Young, they would be making a mistake?

Or, when GB traded a 2nd to Atlanta for backup QB Bret Favre, they made a mistake?

Or, If a team would've traded a couple first day picks for Tom Brady in 2001, that would have been a mistake?

How about in 1970, if a team needing a QB traded two early picks to get backup QB Roger Staubach- that would be a mistake, right?

reelumin
03-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I guess its good-bye to CARR. I couldn't stand his inconsistency and no presence in the pocket.

Janus3
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
i'm surprised there is so much negativity in this trade. i would take schaub at this point over young, leinart and especially quinn. he's 25 years old, 6' 5" 237 lbs. he threw for 300 yards and 3 td's and 0 ints vs NE in his only start. and has been solid in spot duty. he's gonna be like hasslebeck imo.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
So, in 1991, if a team offered SF two 2nd round picks for Steve Young, they would be making a mistake?

Or, when GB traded a 2nd to Atlanta for backup QB Bret Favre, they made a mistake?

Or, If a team would've traded a couple first day picks for Tom Brady in 2001, that would have been a mistake?

How about in 1970, if a team needing a QB traded two early picks to get backup QB Roger Staubach- that would be a mistake, right?

i was with you till you started to equate Staubach with Schaub. Staubach was a Heisman Trophy winning can't miss prospect All-American Hero out of Navy. But yeah he was a backup in the beginning...just like its supposed to be. and just like schaub was handled.

Zagen30
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
At the very least this gives us a QB who isn't always hearing footsteps when he drops back to pass-not that that's totally Carr's fault.

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Good laugh

Go to post #9

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nfl&id=hou&tid=639815&lid=15

Second Honeymoon
i'm surprised there is so much negativity in this trade. i would take schaub at this point over young, leinart and especially quinn. he's 25 years old, 6' 5" 237 lbs. he through for 300 yards and 3 td's and 0 ints vs NE in his only start. and has been solid in spot duty. he's gonna be like hasslebeck imo.

Young? Schaub over Young? cmon now. Let the VY hatred go.

Clash_Fan3605
With the impression that I get, this trade will get done around 6 or 7 PM. Does anyone know anything about his contract or if we extend or restructure it?

reelumin
Some good points there DALEMURPHY. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and he does pan out, since I hear it is a done deal. Like an earlier blogger said "We'll just wait and see".

dalemurphy
03-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Some good points there DALEMURPHY. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and he does pan out, since I hear it is a done deal. Like an earlier blogger said "We'll just wait and see".

fair enough. it will be a year at least before we know if it's a good deal or not. i do think we got market value. he was a hot commodity and lots of teams wanted him so it's not as if we got hood-winked like we did with Phillip Buchanan... that doesn't mean it will work out though... I'm hopeful and we'll have a lot of new stuff to look at in August!

Nawzer
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I haven't seen anyone address this but I'm assuming the Texans have to sign Matt Schaub to an extension or something right? Anyone know what kind of money are we looking at?

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
No, again, all I was saying that you couldn't have done a better job, much less the blind man. Talking out of one's arse on a board and actually being an NFL QB are 2 different things, I hope you'll allow me that assumption.

So you're not a fan of Carr...that's great, let's move on.

PS. Yeah I can get to fridge without breaking a sweat...you wanna time me...LOL

Look at my name I WAS a Carr fan, I supported the guy beyond end, but its time to move on. Also, all you were trying to do was call out somebody that you thought wasnt a Carr fan, (but "was" a Carr fan) and said he couldn't make it to his fridge......so don't try to act high and mighty when it backfires

P.S. a blind man with a gifted arm would of found AJ in the back of the endzone in the last 10 games

Clash_Fan3605
03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
By the looks of nfl.com, it looks like this trade is official, we are just waiting for a press conference. (look at the mock draft & report)

Historyhorn
03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
This is a bad trade.

Consider the holes the Texans have to fill on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Now consider that unless you have Cass drafting for you, teams can reasonable expect to get starters with picks in their first two rounds. If you have a team that drafts really well, they usually get starters or at least solid contributers in the third round.

Essentially we're giving up two starters for a QB who has been a career backup in the NFL. When you have as many holes as we do on both sides of the ball....you horde your draft picks to fill holes. You don't start packaging picks for players or position in the draft until you're a player or two away from winning the whole enchilada.

This also basically means a mistake was made in the extension for DC last year and the passing of three franchise QB's in the first round going for defense.

Drafting defense is OK so long as you're taking the build through the draft approach to putting the team together. With that approach, you get as many picks as possible and stay away from the glamor and glitz until you have a rock solid O-line and defense.

What I have trouble with is the Texans being schizophrenic about this. Don't go value, defense, build through the draft.....and then the very next year go throwing picks away with lots of holes to fill.

:brickwall

keyfro
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
That's what you get for buying into John McClain and his assurances that we were not going to trade picks.

i actually don't listen to john mcclain...i just thought we weren't in a position that allowed us to give away picks since we didn't have the cap space to be more aggressive in FA...i personally can't stand mcclain...just a miss judgment on my part about what smith was going to do this offseason

anyways...just wanted to correct my post from earlier...schaub is a right handed QB...not sure why i thought he was left handed...oh well

Janus3
03-21-2007, 05:07 PM
john mcclain is a damn *****. one of teh worst writers i've had the displeasure to listen to or read.

LORENZOF33
03-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I guess its good-bye to CARR. I couldn't stand his inconsistency and no presence in the pocket.

AMEN!!!

reelumin
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I agree with you HISTROYHORN. I don't understand this organization with what they've done in the past and today. I just hope it works out because KTRH740 is reporting that this QB trade is a done deal. At least we get a replacement at the QB position. Carr was not gonna get us over .500. The games were just too painful to watch and attend.

My Hero
03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Look at my name I WAS a Carr fan, I supported the guy beyond end, but its time to move on. Also, all you were trying to do was call out somebody that you thought wasnt a Carr fan, (but "was" a Carr fan) and said he couldn't make it to his fridge......so don't try to act high and mighty when it backfires

P.S. a blind man with a gifted arm would of found AJ in the back of the endzone in the last 10 games

Just let it go Carr Bomb, point of fact is you really don't know that you could have done any better than Carr. You have never been in that situation.

You think you could hit AJ in the end zone, once again you'll never get the chance. You may have had a chance in boxing,but your talent for football never got you noticed. If you had the skill at football to become an NFL player, that means that you would have excelled at the college level and would have had scouts interested in you.

You would have gone as a first round draft pick and signed a muti million dollar contract. Unfortunatly for you, your talent level never amounted to that much.

David Carr on the other hand was able to acomplish all of the above,so don't tell me you or any blind man could have done better.

keyfro
03-21-2007, 05:12 PM
the trade is pretty much a done deal...the kid has potential...and maybe just maybe with kubiak tutoring him he'll become the QB everyone around the league believes he can be...if he becomes a pro bowl QB then this trade is great...if not...then we certainly have bitten yet another bullet

funny thing is just when we're getting the number 8 out of houston we trade to get another just a strange fact :joker:

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
backup QB with 2 starts, barely over 50% completions, a career passer rating below 70, and exactly 0 wins.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
funny thing is just when we're getting the number 8 out of houston we trade to get another just a strange fact :joker:Schaub wore number 7 in College....he may suit up in that number. I bet he does.

My Hero
03-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Just let it go Carr Bomb, point of fact is you really don't know that you could have done any better than Carr. You have never been in that situation.

You think you could hit AJ in the end zone, once again you'll never get the chance. You may have had a chance in boxing,but your talent for football never got you noticed. If you had the skill at football to become an NFL player, that means that you would have excelled at the college level and would have had scouts interested in you.

You would have gone as a first round draft pick and signed a muti million dollar contract. Unfortunatly for you, your talent level never amounted to that much.

David Carr on the other hand was able to acomplish all of the above,so don't tell me you or any blind man could have done better.

Vinny
backup QB with 2 starts, barely over 50% completions, a career passer rating below 70, and exactly 0 wins.
so? A QB with 75 starts and 3 wins with a combined 2+ TD's combined with 201+ yards passing in the same game. This happened 3 times in 75 games. Three. I'll go with the Schaub.

Texans34Life
If we were banking on someone in the draft to be our future starting QB, we're going to be in the same rut that we have been in the past 5 years.

I know one thing - Schaub has shown us some proof that he can play in the NFL.

From this trade, it seems like we have given up a lot. But don't we still have our 3rd-7th picks for this draft? I'm pretty sure we will find some quality players in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th to help us on the OL and secondary.

03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
before anything, i'm the poster formally known as Texan281.

anyways, i'm shocked, and now im really dumfounded about what we're gonna do in the draft... maybe we could use carr to trade up or get another pick in the THIRD at best... it could be the fuel needed to trade up or down in the first round... the only good i CURRENTLY see in this is that we're done with carr... but schaub? this guy just doesn't have enough starts, and i'm really tired of getting players based on potential, i thought we were past that with kubiak/smith... but if schaub is really good, then it's worth it... i just don't see him being a top-flight qb, though. i'm thinking he's going to be better than carr, which isn't astronomical... but at what cost? if you think about it, we basically took schaub with our #39 pick and traded down TWO spots... which isn't too bad. the second rounder next year does hurt though, we still need depth in the worst way. basically, as of right now i'm not a huge fan of this trade because what we're giving up, but i'm really hoping i'm wrong and we get a compentent qb and get a good player for the pick we get after trading carr.

the TRUE results of this trade won't be seen until schaub proves himself as a starter and we win more games (contingent on if that ACTUALLY HAPPENS)... but as of right now, i definitely don't like it too much. and this means we're done with major tinkering at the QB position for a while. i just have this nasty feeling we're gonna draft levi brown. honestly, i wouldnt mind nelson at that #10 spot... i just have no clue what we're going to do there for certain though.

i just don't have the best feeling about this... and this will be the defining move of the kubiak/smith regime no matter what happens down the line... it's make or break in my eyes.

coachdent
03-21-2007, 05:17 PM
i'm surprised there is so much negativity in this trade. i would take schaub at this point over young, leinart and especially quinn. he's 25 years old, 6' 5" 237 lbs. he threw for 300 yards and 3 td's and 0 ints vs NE in his only start. and has been solid in spot duty. he's gonna be like hasslebeck imo.

Um...........no.
Schaub is NOT Leinart.
For the record, Schaub is not the second coming of Steve Young.
The peaks and valleys of some of the posters on this site are unreal.

2 starts in three years. 6-6 TD/INT ratio. Which absolutely stinks.
Drop two spots in the first round...ok. A second rounder THIS year AND NEXT year too? Holy overpriced Batman! That is overpaying like no one's business. This team has FAR to many other need areas to spend TWO years without a second rounder. Somewhere in that bag of tricks, the front office had better have a second rounder coming out of the Carr deal, because that just reeks.

cowboy62
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
this sums it all..........
Texans move to solve QB

Earlier today I wrote about all the moves the Houston Texans had made this offseason and concluded that the moves had very little substance. That all changed Wednesday afternoon when the team traded for third-year QB Matt Schaub of the Atlanta Falcons.
According to reports, the Texans will send Atlanta two second-round picks, one this year and one next year, and will swap first-round picks with the Falcons this year, meaning the Falcons will pick No. 8 overall, with the Texans sliding back to No. 10.

Schaub has been the subject of trade rumors in the past but was thought to be off the market this offseason after Atlanta opted to put the first-and-third tender on him to scare off potential suitors. The Falcons are in the first year of a new coaching regime, with Bobby Petrino having replaced the departed Jim Mora. Petrino had yet to see either Schaub or starter Michael Vick perform in his offensive system, and there was some speculation that there might be more of an open competition for the starting spot this season. That all changed with this trade. Vick is clearly the guy in Atlanta, and Texans QB David Carr appears to be on his way out of Houston.
As I mentioned in my earlier blog, Carr had just about run his course in Houston. I like David Carr and think he can be an effective starter in the NFL, but I questioned how effective he could be next season on a team that had been shopping him openly throughout the offseason. There are certain things you can and can't do in the NFL. A big no-no is shopping your starting quarterback and failing to move him, then asking him to come back and be your leader.

The Texans have fixed that issue. Or have they? Sure Schaub is supposed to be the next quarterback sensation, but the numbers tell a different story. He has started two games in his career and lost both. He has completed barely more than 50 percent of his passes and has thrown six touchdowns and six interceptions. Vick gave former coach Mora many opportunities to pull the plug and go with Schaub, but Mora never wavered. While Schaub is expected to be a solid NFL starter, he has less experience than the guy he is replacing.

I like Matt Schaub. I think he has great physical tools. He has the size and the arm to play in the NFL. He is smart and plays with a lot of heart. The question that will need to be answered is, Can he lead? This team needs leadership at the quarterback position. That's an area where Carr struggled at times. Now Schaub will get his shot.

While Atlanta fans who are getting impatient with Vick might disagree, I think this deal is better for them. Sure, Vick has not proven to be the answer, but the Falcons got a lot of value for Schaub, who likely would have gotten away as an unrestricted free agent next season. I like that Petrino is telling Vick that he is his guy. I think this takes a lot of pressure off Vick as he prepares to lead the Falcons into the 2007 season.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli is reporting that the Falcons could now potentially move towards veteran Anthony Wright to serve as Vick's backup in 2007. Wright is a veteran with starting experience, not a young up-and-comer, and that might make for a better fit with Vick, who was a little sensitive about his starting role toward the middle of last season.

I also would look for Atlanta to draft a quarterback as an insurance policy. Michigan State's Drew Stanton or Stanford's Trent Edwards surely will be on the Falcons' radar this year.

As for the Texans, this move dramatically reduced their options on draft day. There had been talk Houston might be eyeing Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn, either trading up or hoping Quinn fell to them at No. 8. With Schaub in the fold, and sitting at No. 10 instead of No. 8, Quinn likely is out of the picture. If Quinn did happen to fall to them at 10, though, they would have the option of trading back and trying to recoup the second-round pick they sent to Atlanta. The Texans also could look to trade Carr to pick up more picks later in the draft.

While this trade definitely can benefit both teams, Atlanta certainly looks like the early winner. Houston's grade on this deal will depend on Schaub and the draft.

AND THE TEXANS JUST GOT RAPE BY THE FALCONS:elmo:

2BCF
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM

The only thing Carr accomplished was making a baffoon out of himself and holding the Texans back for five long years. We paid him dearly for nothing in return but grief and disappointment.
Good Riddance! Don't let the door hit ya'...

beerlover
03-21-2007, 05:19 PM
before anything, i'm the poster formally known as Texan281.

anyways, i'm shocked, and now im really dumfounded about what we're gonna do in the draft... maybe we could use carr to trade up or get another pick in the THIRD at best... the only good i CURRENTLY see in this is that we're done with carr... but schaub? this guy just doesn't have enough starts, and i'm really tired of getting players based on potential, i thought we were past that with kubiak/smith... but if schaub is really good, then it's worth it... but i just don't see him being a top-flight qb. i'm thinking he's going to be better than carr, which isn't astronomical... but at what cost? if you think about it, we basically took schaub with our #39 pick and traded down TWO spots... which isn't too bad. the second rounder next year does hurt though, we still need depth in the worst way. basically, as of right now i'm not a huge fan of this trade because what we're giving up, but i'm really hoping i'm wrong and we get a compentent qb and get a good player for the pick we get after trading carr.

the TRUE results of this trade won't be seen until schaub proves himself as a starter and we win more games (contingent on if that ACTUALLY HAPPENS)... but as of right now, i definitely don't like it too much. and no man, we're done with major tinkering at the QB position for a while. i just have this nasty feeling we're gonna draft levi brown. honestly, i wouldnt mind nelson at that #10 spot... i just have no clue what we're going to do there for certain though.

i just don't have the best feeling about this... and this will be the defining move of the kubiak/smith regime no matter what happens down the line... it's make or break in my eyes.

maybe there is a Carr deal in the works for a 2nd rounder in 08 that would help some :bubble:

Silver Oak
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
If they do end up trading DC to Oakland for Moss, then this offseason could be known for years to come as franchise changing...for the best of course.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM

7,689 members and 1,891 active members (as I post this)....I'm not shocked there is diverse opinion. It's silly to think that everyone will think alike. You are a Carr fan and not happy. I have never liked Carr and am ESTATIC that we have a new QB. That's just how it goes.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 05:21 PM
maybe there is a Carr deal in the works for a 2nd rounder in 08 that would help some :bubble:
Put down the lager and step away from the bar

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 05:21 PM
so? A QB with 75 starts and 3 wins with a combined 2+ TD's combined with 201+ yards passing in the same game. This happened 3 times in 75 games. Three. I'll go with the Schaub.

Well if you put it that way................................

Silver Oak
03-21-2007, 05:22 PM
The only thing Carr accomplished was making a baffoon out of himself and holding the Texans back for five long years. We paid him dearly for nothing in return but grief and disappointment.
Good Riddance! Don't let the door hit ya'...

buffoon is the correct spelling you're looking for.

My Hero
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
buffoon is the correct spelling you're looking for.

Ha,Ha, thanks for edumacating him Silver Oak. Maybe he doesn't think that David Carr is a very good atholete.

coachdent
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
7,689 members and 1,891 active members (as I post this)....I'm not shocked there is diverse opinion. It's silly to think that everyone will think alike. You are a Carr fan and not happy. I have never liked Carr and am ESTATIC that we have a new QB. That's just how it goes.

I understand diverse opinions. What I don't understand is how anyone can compare Matt Schaub to Steve Young. Does seem at least the slightest, tiniest bit excessive? I know you are a Carr hater...but doesn't this reach just a tad bit too far?

BTW. My post had nothing to do with Carr. It was about a deal we made for a three year backup quarterback who has rather "pedestrian" stats and giving up TWO second round picks for him. That is excessive. Even if we had Steve Young on our roster. Which of course we do in the face of Sage Rosenfelds! :joker:

TwinSisters
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Schaub wore number 7 in College....he may suit up in that number. I bet he does.

Wait a minute... that's Chad's number.

Cupps
03-21-2007, 05:28 PM

... so? :P

South Texan
03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I am weighing in at probably a good trade.

Sooooo.....

Will anyone give us their second round for our fourth and Carr??

Will Atlanta grab Landry with the 8'th pick??

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

hadaad
03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Schaub wore number 7 in College....he may suit up in that number. I bet he does.

But... Chad Stanley. What about the Chad?

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 05:30 PM

CUT'EM

Vinny
03-21-2007, 05:33 PM
7,689 members and 1,891 active members (as I post this)....I'm not shocked there is diverse opinion. It's silly to think that everyone will think alike.

I understand diverse opinions. What I don't understand is how anyone can compare Matt Schaub to Steve Young. Does seem at least the slightest, tiniest bit excessive? I know you are a Carr hater...but doesn't this reach just a tad bit too far? Sure, but I see a ton of dumb things posted here...it's par for the course on message boards. We don't give the wonderlic test in order to post, and the masses are well....the masses.

Cheroqui
03-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I was ok WHILE reading and seeing 2nd round, but as I read on and saw the #8-#10 slide, the frown and beard stroke happened.

How worried should we be about moving from #8-#10 with who might be available now from CB to RB, or just period for what we need or want?

Brandyon
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Just looked at the Falcons forums, and they are definately all laughing their asses off at us... haha... this sucks

Texans_Chick
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Geez, I try to give the Texans the benefit of the doubt on these things, but I have to say that the price on this deal makes me say bleh.

I can't think of too many quarterbacks in the league I'd like to switch spots in the first, give up a second rounder this year and next. Much less a guy who hasn't really had much of an opportunity to prove it in the league.

It seems to me that people tend to overvalue potential and undervalue experience. You know, like in Let's Make a Deal--taking the mystery box instead of the box that you know what you have.

We can talk about the point chart as to the draft, but I don't think the point chart really values players sufficiently from the Texans perspective. For a team with as many needs as the Texans, each pick really really matters. Rookies are more likely to start on a team with few playmakers.

Just as an example, would you give up 2 DeMeco Ryans for Matt Schaub? Theoretically, that's what we are doing.

The only way you do that is if you really believe that Matt Schaub is The Answer. The key to the lock. I guess that is what they are saying, but of course, they also picked up David Carr's three year bonus, made Rosenfels sit most of the year, and passed up the entirety of the 2006 QB draft, and had no idea from training camp that the running back situation was going to be that inept.

I think I would have rather given up a 4th and had Plummer and Sage to be honest. At least we would know what we had, and wouldn't have to work some sort of hinky deal under the time pressure that Carr has to go.

I've read the entire thread, and I've heard about his college exploits and limited NFL career, but please for the love that all is holy, can someone give me the perfect argument of why Matt Schaub is The Answer???? Especially those of you who are high on this deal despite the price of it.

I need someone to make me feel better about it. (In comparison, I was way more okay with Williams instead of Bush thing instead of Schaub eating draft picks).

Please help. Thanks.

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Put down the lager and step away from the bar

I hope he has a designated driver.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Sure, but I see a ton of dumb things posted here...it's par for the course on message boards. We don't give the wonderlic test in order to post, and the masses are well....the masses.

We resent that! The fact is, we just upgraded to somebody who invokes steve young comparisons(however misguided) from somebody who couldn't be steve young's waterboy. Im celebrating the return of OPTIMISM about the upcoming season.....for all the fans mourning the loss of David Carr's guaranteed job......door is in california. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

pv1999
03-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Um...........no.
Schaub is NOT Leinart.
For the record, Schaub is not the second coming of Steve Young.

2 starts in three years. 6-6 TD/INT ratio. Which absolutely stinks.
Drop two spots in the first round...ok. A second rounder THIS year AND NEXT year too? Holy overpriced Batman! That is overpaying like no one's business. This team has FAR to many other need areas to spend TWO years without a second rounder. Somewhere in that bag of tricks, the front office had better have a second rounder coming out of the Carr deal, because that just reeks.

..and those two starts?...LOSSES
But it really doesn't matter who we get, we won't like him and he won't stay long unless he has some Texan in him. People who don't like DC can't really say it is because he is a crappy QB. He hasn't won too much but he has argueably the same college resume as Peyton, or the Schoub for that matter. They just don't like him because he dosen't have "IT" i.e. he is not one of us. Carlos Lee is one of us, we saw him at the rodeo, and no one whined about him missing practice to be at the cow show. We all love VY, not because of his cannon arm or pin point accuracy but because he is a TEXAN. Nobody ever cries about passing over Bush we are all over that now, who cares. But we sell out to see VY.... Lately, everyone wants to get Peterson, why? Don't we have enough Backs? Doesn't matter, he's a Texan. No one calls the line out for its crappy play, because we have Texans there. So come on in Matt, if you don't win your name will be on the soap in two years as the "Fire _____ Club" movement continues.....

coachdent
03-21-2007, 05:38 PM
... so? :P

Why wouldn't Schaub wear the #8 he wore in Atlanta? It will be vacant. I don't think he should. As Pedro Cerrano might say:

"Dat number, it is sick. #8 I like it very much. I ask Jobu to take fear from number 8. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

http://myspace-799.vo.llnwd.net/00262/99/73/262483799_s.jpg

Playmaker
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM

We don't need a timeline of when you actually got off the Carr bandwagon. Yeah I figured out you WERE a fan from your name, but I figured out you got off that bandwagon when you began talking out of your arse. I also recognize that we need to move on...I can say it without dumb hyperboles like "even I/blind man could have done a better job!" however. I don't see why you have to drag a blind man down to your level to make your argument. *chuckle*

PS. I may give the blind man a benefit of the doubt, bacause he has a gifted arm and all that...but on the other hand, if one couldn't make it to the Olympics in boxing (just because a little boo boo to the hand)...I dunno man ...LOL...don't think he would have the mental fortitude to make it in the NFL...LOL

...say, now I'm beginning to doubt the fridge test again...not too sure about you...LOL

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Geez, I try to give the Texans the benefit of the doubt on these things, but I have to say that the price on this deal makes me say bleh.

I can't think of too many quarterbacks in the league I'd like to switch spots in the first, give up a second rounder this year and next. Much less a guy who hasn't really had much of an opportunity to prove it in the league.

It seems to me that people tend to overvalue potential and undervalue experience. You know, like in Let's Make a Deal--taking the mystery box instead of the box that you know what you have.

We can talk about the point chart as to the draft, but I don't think the point chart really values players sufficiently from the Texans perspective. For a team with as many needs as the Texans, each pick really really matters. Rookies are more likely to start on a team with few playmakers.

Just as an example, would you give up 2 DeMeco Ryans for Matt Schaub? Theoretically, that's what we are doing.

The only way you do that is if you really believe that Matt Schaub is The Answer. The key to the lock. I guess that is what they are saying, but of course, they also picked up David Carr's three year bonus, made Rosenfels sit most of the year, and passed up the entirety of the 2006 QB draft, and had no idea from training camp that the running back situation was going to be that inept.

I think I would have rather given up a 4th and had Plummer and Sage to be honest. At least we would know what we had, and wouldn't have to work some sort of hinky deal under the time pressure that Carr has to go.

I've read the entire thread, and I've heard about his college exploits and limited NFL career, but please for the love that all is holy, can someone give me the perfect argument of why Matt Schaub is The Answer???? Especially those of you who are high on this deal despite the price of it.

I need someone to make me feel better about it. (In comparison, I was way more okay with Williams instead of Bush thing instead of Schaub eating draft picks).

Please help. Thanks.

I will take a stab at it. WARNING....Casserly-esque logic bomb coming.

We needed a quarterback. This is pretty much a given if your being rational. We needed one so bad we were getting brady quinn projections at #8. I think its fair to say we would have spent a high round (1-3rd) pick on a quarterback this year. Call it a 2nd, and there is the 2nd this year that we traded for him. We draft Matt Schaub, Qb, Virginia with our #2 pick this year. Okay, dropping 2 spots in this draft, probably immaterial.....i doubt anybody amazing is going to fall to the 8 pick....probably no landry, or peterson, or anderson, or adams....just mid grade talent. No biggy. In reality, we gave up a 2nd next year for a qb who had a 1st and 3rd round tender on him. Dig up a little tape, and watch the start Schaub had against a very very good patriots defense. We filled a hole, can possibly mitigate cost with a carr trade, can broaden our horizons for targets in this draft, and got a quarterback commonly considered to have great potential.

coachdent
03-21-2007, 05:43 PM

Please help. Thanks.

I am right with you in your skepticism. The thing that is disappointing is that we have now hurt ourselves with Carr. We are now definitely have to move Carr and teams will be able to have their way with us in those negotiations. We were moving him all along...fine. But now, we aren't going to get what we were going to get before Schaub came to town. I don't understand the timing and I don't understand paying such a steep price.

fdknuckles
03-21-2007, 05:46 PM
2 x 2nd round picks and 2 spots in the 1st!!!

WHY !!!:wild:

swoldier
Why wouldn't Schaub wear the #8 he wore in Atlanta? It will be vacant. I don't think he should. As Pedro Cerrano might say:

"Dat number, it is sick. #8 I like it very much. I ask Jobu to take fear from number 8. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

http://myspace-799.vo.llnwd.net/00262/99/73/262483799_s.jpg

Up yours Jobu!!!! HAHA! Now a bats gonna hit me in the head.

Tulip

All I can say in their defense is:

1) The Texans may have drafted a QB with the 2nd round pick.
2) The 2nd round pick this year is 6 slots down from last year's. DeMeco was a steal and bargains like that can't really be counted on.
3) The 2nd round pick next year is hopefully going to be a mid-to-late rounder.

I'm not sold on those arguments, but they are the best I could proffer.

Vinny

I can't think of too many quarterbacks in the league I'd like to switch spots in the first, give up a second rounder this year and next. Much less a guy who hasn't really had much of an opportunity to prove it in the league.We get the same player at 10 as we do at 8....no way that there is only 2 guys we like at 8.

No way we find a starting QB next year with our second round pick...its a weak year for QB's. They can't fix last years GIGANTIC snafu by re-upping Carr but at least we have some hope that Shaub can throw 25+ TD passes based on his short game time looks.

It seems to me that people tend to overvalue potential and undervalue experience. You know, like in Let's Make a Deal--taking the mystery box instead of the box that you know what you have. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and all the other valuable starters are not on the trading block. The scarcity of good QB's in the NFL is one reason why it was such a disastrous decision last year to re-up Carr and pass on 3 franchise QB's. Nobody is trading top, proven staring QB's.

If Schaub is what I think he is, he is well worth moving back 2 draft picks and grabbing a guy like Levi Brown or Darrelle Revis or Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch with the 10th overall. If Schaub is a bona-fide starter then giving up 2 second round picks is a no brainer. One 2rd rounder is for Schaub, and the other one is for the rights to something of value....cause you can't get something for nothing. Especially commodities that are scarce.

hollywood_texan
03-21-2007, 05:49 PM

Please help. Thanks.

You probably won't believe this Texans_Chick, but I totally understand what you are saying and competely agree!

It's amazing how the roster changes just a bit, and what was foe on the MB is now friend and vice versa.

The lines in the sand are being redrawn on this MB.

Good post TC!

hadaad
03-21-2007, 05:49 PM

We needed a quarterback. This is pretty much a given if your being rational. We needed one so bad we were getting brady quinn projections at #8. I think its fair to say we would have spent a high round (1-3rd) pick on a quarterback this year. Call it a 2nd, and there is the 2nd this year that we traded for him. We draft Matt Schaub, Qb, Virginia with our #2 pick this year. Okay, dropping 2 spots in this draft, probably immaterial.....i doubt anybody amazing is going to fall to the 8 pick....probably no landry, or peterson, or anderson, or adams....just mid grade talent. No biggy. In reality, we gave up a 2nd next year for a qb who had a 1st and 3rd round tender on him. Dig up a little tape, and watch the start Schaub had against a very very good patriots defense. We filled a hole, can possibly mitigate cost with a carr trade, can broaden our horizons for targets in this draft, and got a quarterback commonly considered to have great potential.

But I thought Carr wasn't going anywhere. I thought that if Carr sucked, Kubiak was going to be fired.

Looks like Everybody IS Wrong About Everything.

Lucky
03-21-2007, 05:50 PM

Let me take a stab at channeling Casserly:

Hey, Schaub is better than anyone we could have gotten with our 2nd round pick. See? And, we can get the same player with the 10th pick that we would have taken with the 8th pick. OK? So we trade a 2nd round pick in 2008. Right? Hey, that's like a 3rd round pick this year. And 3rd round picks have a 50/50 shot at making it in the league. See? So that's why this trade for Phillip Buchanon...er, Matt Schaub is so great. OK?

Vinny
03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
But I thought Carr wasn't going anywhere. I thought that if Carr sucked, Kubiak was going to be fired.

Looks like Everybody IS Wrong About Everything.except for me! :elmo:

Texans_Chick
03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and all the other valuable starters are not on the trading block. The scarcity of good QB's in the NFL is one reason why it was such a disastrous decision last year to re-up Carr and pass on 3 franchise QB's. Nobody is trading top, proven staring QB's.

If Schaub is what I think he is, he is well worth moving back 2 draft picks and grabbing a guy like Levi Brown or Darrelle Revis or Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch with the 10th overall. If Schaub is a bona-fide starter then giving up 2 second round picks is a no brainer. One 2rd rounder is for Schaub, and the other one is for the rights to something of value....cause you can't get something for nothing. Especially commodities that are scarce.

Vinny, why do you particularly like Schaub? I'm curious.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Looks like Everybody IS Wrong About Everything.

My mea culpa is earlier in this thread. Its been addressed. I said it, my info was good at the time, stuff changed. Want me to stop posting the stuff i hear? I don't mind. Between december and march the direction our organization took shifted. i don't post every rumor i hear...i've had conversations with others on this board about stuff i've heard. the schaub thing blindsided me...by the time i got in touch with my source, it had already broken on the boards. Whatcha want from me?

Texans_Chick
03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Let me take a stab at channeling Casserly:

Lucky. That is genius. I could even here his voice and everything.

keyfro
03-21-2007, 05:55 PM
well first i wanted to post this link from espn that has a pretty good write up on our situation so here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2807456

next to all the carr fans just think of it this way...atleast he will no longer be a texan and the 249 sacks that he had to deal with will not be where he ends up

for everyone else...we get a new QB that hasn't worn out his welcome

vinny...him wearing number 7 in college i totally forgot about that...so kudos to you for remembering that little tid bit of info

as for the draft implications of this trade...there is still a chance that smith and kubiak might be targetting a player a little further down in the draft so don't hold your breath that this is the last trade down in round 1 that could happen...there is still a chance we could end up with laron landry...if so great...but if not we'll have to deal since we won't have a chance to get brandon merriweather either...all the other FS's in this years draft don't impress me at all so it's kind of a downer for me...if we draft down it will probably be for a WR or a CB IMO...i don't see us targetting a LB, OL, or DL in round one anymore

hadaad
03-21-2007, 05:55 PM
My mea culpa is earlier in this thread. Its been addressed. I said it, my info was good at the time, stuff changed. Want me to stop posting the stuff i hear? I don't mind. Between december and march the direction our organization took shifted. i don't post every rumor i hear...i've had conversations with others on this board about stuff i've heard. the schaub thing blindsided me...by the time i got in touch with my source, it had already broken on the boards. Whatcha want from me?

I don't have that much time on my hands. Sorry.

What I had a problem with was the tone of it. Post what you like but don't expect not to get called out on it when it comes up wrong.

That said, I agree with your opinion on Schaub.

dalemurphy
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Please help. Thanks.

Well, first of all, if a Smith/Kubiak are genius enough to replicate the Demeco pick in the 2nd round every year, then the fact that they traded so much away to get Schaub should convince you that he's going to be awesome.

Second, I heard a number of interviews of Falcon players. All of them called him a leader. They said it was like having another coach on the field. He, according to the players, had a handle on the offense, control of the huddle, respect from his team. That's been lacking here.

Regarding moving down two spots in the 1st... If those spots are as valuable as some think, then we should've been much less enthused to win the last two games of the season. Otherwise, we could be sitting at 4 right now. Last year, we could've moved back two spots and still got the player we wanted for less money. Probably, that will be the case again this year.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Vinny, why do you particularly like Schaub? I'm curious.

I'd venture a guess and say because he's not Carr.

It's pretty amazing that the debates/flames on this board are almost identical to the ones on the Lions board.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't have that much time on my hands. Sorry.

What I had a problem with was the tone of it. Post what you like but don't expect not to get called out on it when it comes up wrong.

That said, I agree with your opinion on Schaub.

Like i didn't see it coming from a mile away? I knew when i posted it that there was a risk of the world uprighting itself. Call me out all day if you like...im right here, i stand by what i said as being accurate at the time. If i wanted to REALLY be an ass about it i would point out that Schaub isn't techincally signed, Carr is still on the roster, and there has been nothing said by the texans organization.

coachdent
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM

There has been a great deal made about Schaub's historic loss against very very good Patriots defense. Well, the problem is, the Patriots defense was NOT very good at all. In fact, there is no need to go to video tape, they were ranked 31st in the league in yards against and they were ranked 28th in Interceptions AND touchdowns allowed passing...17th overall. They were 10-6 that year and in the previous weekend AT HOME they got beat 41-17 by the San Diego Chargers... a team that finished 9-7 on the year.

Just wanted to set the record somewhat straight on the way to coronation...the Pats tend to inspire grandiose visions. He played well that day against an fairly ordinary defense, not one of the league's best that year. It was in 2005 too.

Marcus
03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
I am right with you in your skepticism. The thing that is disappointing is that we have now hurt ourselves with Carr. We are now definitely have to move Carr and teams will be able to have their way with us in those negotiations. We were moving him all along...fine. But now, we aren't going to get what we were going to get before Schaub came to town. I don't understand the timing and I don't understand paying such a steep price.

Carr didn't have market value before this trade anyway. Why? His contract. That's what most posters don't seem to understand regarding this so-called expectation that Carr can be traded for a first day pick.

Look for, and expect him to be released. And when he is, don't blame it on this trade.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Vinny, why do you particularly like Schaub? I'm curious.I don't think he is going to be a great roll out passing kind of QB but right now we have two pocket guys in Sage and Shaub. Shaub is a big, tall kid with an arm that can make every single pass in the book, looks very good while under pressure and has enogh good footwork to slide in the pocket and get his passes off. He doesn't seem to panic at all and the game doesn't look too big for him. Look at the contrast in Carr. Ideal measurables, but is often doing his chicken little impersonation as soon as the ball is snapped regardless of the pressure he gets from the pass rush. Watching Carr run an offense is like watching those old timey movies where the tape is sped up and the keystone cops are all running into each other.

I think our offense is going to look more like the Packer offense now that Sherman is running it and we won't see as much QB waggle stuff. Matt Schaub, Ahman Green, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels combined with two second year Tackles in Spencer and Winston with Pitts and Weary solid at G and all of a sudden we only need a Center and a WR2 to have a total new look offense. After watching our QB throw ONE TD pass of any consequence in the last 10 games of the year last year I am stoked to the max today.

Of course this is all speculation based on watching a ton of NFL ball....and sure, I've been wrong before. Back in 2001 I believe....I'll have to check on that and get back with you however.

coachdent
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Up yours Jobu!!!! HAHA! Now a bats gonna hit me in the head.

He did eventually hit the curveball! And we too will eventually make the playoffs!

hadaad
03-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Like i didn't see it coming from a mile away? I knew when i posted it that there was a risk of the world uprighting itself. Call me out all day if you like...im right here, i stand by what i said as being accurate at the time. If i wanted to REALLY be an ass about it i would point out that Schaub isn't techincally signed, Carr is still on the roster, and there has been nothing said by the texans organization.

The world uprighting itself? Because the Texans aren't happy with their current situation? That's pretty dramatic.

Pretty easy to say that everybody's wrong and claim to be in the know if you can qualify it by saying "I know what is happening... unless it doesn't happen or happens to change. BUT I STILL KNEW!"

GuerillaBlack
03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
This is great!

Vinny
03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
The world uprighting itself? Because the Texans aren't happy with their current situation? That's pretty dramatic.

Pretty easy to say that everybody's wrong and claim to be in the know if you can qualify it by saying "I know what is happening... unless it doesn't happen or happens to change. BUT I STILL KNEW!"I took the time to PM him and warn him about such absoute statements making yourself look bad later. As they say...that youth is wasted on the young!

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Pretty easy to say that everybody's wrong and claim to be in the know if you can qualify it by saying "I know what is happening... unless it doesn't happen or happens to change. BUT I STILL KNEW!"

the texans completely reversing their position on david carr is what im referring to as the world uprighting itself. Say it with me, Met-A-Phor. I don't care if you believe me or not.

dalemurphy
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think he is going to be a great roll out passing kind of QB but right now we have two pocket guys in Sage and Shaub. Shaub is a big, tall kid with an arm that can make every single pass in the book, looks very good while under pressure and has enogh good footwork to slide in the pocket and get his passes off. He doesn't seem to panic at all and the game doesn't look too big for him. Look at the contrast in Carr. Ideal measurables, but is often doing his chicken little impersonation as soon as the ball is snapped regardless of the pressure he gets from the pass rush. Watching Carr run an offense is like watching those old timey movies where the tape is sped up and the keystone cops are all running into each other.

I think our offense is going to look more like the Packer offense now that Sherman is running it and we won't see as much QB waggle stuff. Matt Schaub, Ahman Green, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels combined with two second year Tackles in Spencer and Winston with Pitts and Weary solid at G and all of a sudden we only need a Center and a WR2 to have a total new look offense. After watching our QB throw ONE TD pass of any consequence in the last 10 games of the year last year I am stoked to the max today.

Of course this is all speculation based on watching a ton of NFL ball....and sure, I've been wrong before. Back in 2001 I believe....I'll have to check on that and get back with you however.

I totally agree that this signals a further move away from the Alex Gibbs style system. What many don't realize is that the movement away from that offense started with an NFL rules or interpretation change 2-3 years ago, I think. The NFL no longer allows a chop block inside the tackles on the back of the legs. That rule change, probably more than the Portis trade, has had more to do with the recent troubles (relative) Denver has had running the football, IMO.

The important thing for me is that Kubiak is a believer in running the football. He's not one of the west-coast guys out to prove something about throwing the ball 60% of the time- instead he's more from the Shanahan, Mariucci, Gruden school of offense.

keyfro
03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
the one thing i will say for schaub is this...look at andre and walter compared to michael jenkins and roddy white...atleast we know our guys can catch the ball and andre is still a physical freak...schaubs numbers might go up just on the basis that he has better recievers to throw to :snobord: :victory:

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Well TC in theory we are also giving up 2 PBUCS and keeping the 3rds Feel better yet?

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 06:18 PM
we just traded a pbuc and a joppru for matt schaub?

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds good right?

dirty steve
03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
we just traded a pbuc and a joppru for matt schaub?you forgot tony hollings--great move in 2003.

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
so many options of shanked 2nd rounders...we might be doing ourselves a favor

bigcarlos
03-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Just got home and saw what was going on...........:yahoo: :dance2: :wild:

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 06:22 PM
:) i'm just trying to poop on everyone's party. believe me, i'm as glad as any texans fan that we have a new qb.

03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
and sure, I've been wrong before. Back in 2001 I believe....I'll have to check on that and get back with you however.

"rollhan", perhaps. hahaha

whiskeyrbl
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
steve young, brett favre, matt hasseelback etc etc

dude you're a carr homer we get it but dont be all doom and gloom before you see him play

Don't forget Brady was a backup till Bledsoe got hurt... cough...cough

TexansSeminole
03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I think the main thing here is this is Kubiak's guy now. Not someone he inherited after taking over. It'll be interesting to see what Kubiak can do with a QB that he brought in himself.

swoldier
03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
so many options of shanked 2nd rounders...we might be doing ourselves a favor

Hey whatever happened to your "IN THE KNOW" arguments early this offseason i distinctly remember you stating that Carr was going nowhere and all that garbage. Wow you really are in the know. What else are the Texans gonna do? I hope you "KNOW" because obviously you are "IN THE KNOW"

houstonhurricane
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Who really cares about who said what in the past. Heck, I'll bet Kubiak and Smith didn't think they would be making this move three weeks ago!

The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to it that we simply don't see...

powerfuldragon
03-21-2007, 07:04 PM
The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to eat that we simply don't see...
i've been wondering about that too... our FO has been fairly tight-lipped so far, so i guess we wait and see.

Yankee_In_TX
03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm only ok if we get this mysterious 3rd from Oakland.

Double Barrel
03-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Are you saying that you have to play at an NFL level to understand the game and analyze players?

Hmmm, better tell that to Charlie Weiss then! :ok:

You've never been in that situation, either. So why is your opinion expert over anyone else's around here?

People who don't like DC can't really say it is because he is a crappy QB.

Wha.....? :um: drugs are bad, mmm'kay

kiwitexansfan
03-21-2007, 07:13 PM
The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to eat that we simply don't see...

I think that we will see a pick or picks coming back to us in a Carr deal to Oakland.

Hulk is pretty sure that there is one all but signed just pending us getting a veteran QB to start ie Schaub. (from the Carr to Oakland thread)

houstonhurricane
03-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I think that we will see a pick or picks coming back to us in a Carr deal to Oakland.

Hulk is pretty sure that there is one all but signed just pending us getting a veteran QB to start ie Schaub. (from the Carr to Oakland thread)

Kiwi,

I think the best we can hope for is a fourth rounder and at that pick you aren't guaranteed a starter like you SHOULD expect from a 2nd...

Erratic Assassin
03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Schaub, a restricted free agent

Should the deal go through, as is expected, the Falcons would move up two notches to No. 8 in this April's NFL draft and receive Houston's second-round draft pick in each of the next two seasons.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Am I the only one here who thinks this move is idiotic? Even Charley Casserly is laughing at this! Your second round picks make or break your team and we gave up 2 of them? We of all people should know that by now. Have the past 5 years taught us nothing?

I love the way we justify this crap decision by saying we just gave up Jabar Gaffney plus Tony Hollins. This should go without saying, but I guess I have to spell it out "Tony Hollins isn't what you should expect with a second round pick!" If it is, you have resigned yourself to losing for all eternity. We just gave up Demeco Ryans and Charles Spencer. Now how does that taste?

I can't wait to see Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry available at the 8th spot. That will be a special feeling when they get taken.

Here's another one I love to hear. "If we get a second round pick for Carr, we only gave up one pick". First of all we're not getting a second round pick for Carr. Second of all, even if we did it doesn't make up for this stupid move!

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Are you f-ing kidding me? Am I the only one here who thinks this move is idiotic? Even Charley Casserly is laughing at this! Your second round picks make or break your team and we gave up 2 of them? We of all people should know that by now. Have the past 5 years taught us nothing?

I love the way we justify this crap decision by saying we just gave up Jabar Gaffney plus Tony Hollins. This should go without saying, but I guess I have to spell it out "Tony Hollins isn't what you should expect with a second round pick!" If it is, you have resigned yourself to losing for all eternity. We just gave up Demeco Ryans and Charles Spencer. Now how does that taste?

I can't wait to see Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry available at the 8th spot. That will be a special feeling when they get taken.

Here's another one I love to hear. "If we get a second round pick for Carr, we only gave up one pick". First of all we're not getting a second round pick for Carr. Second of all, even if we did it doesn't make up for this stupid move!

spencer was a 3rd

to my knowledge, we've had 5 2nd round picks...and 4 of them have stunk. Lets not overreact

Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanon
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru

i think it would be fair to call demeco the exception rather than the rule.

Erratic Assassin
03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes?

That's what kills me about this move. I'm so disappointed in Rick Smith I could choke him! This move set us back a couple of more years.

Erratic Assassin
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
to my knowledge, we've had 5 2nd round picks...and 4 of them have stunk. Lets not overreact

Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanon
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru

You're making my point for me.

Do you not see the connection between the wasted second round picks and the 5 consecutive losing seasons?

NFLforher
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
I think the main thing here is this is Kubiak's guy now. Not someone he inherited after taking over. It'll be interesting to see what Kubiak can do with a QB that he brought in himself.

Thankful he didn't bring in Rix. :)

swtbound07
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
You're making my point for me.

Do you not see the connection between the wasted second round picks and the 5 consecutive losing seasons?

I see the connection between carr and 5 losings seasons...and i see that tie being severed. Thats my point. Addition by subtraction...live it, love it, embrace it.

TexasJedi
03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Many might disagree, but looking at the Texans moves this offseason has put me in mind of the 2003 Panthers.

The Panthers had drafted a young defensive end they year before, already had a quality young linebacker for their defense. It should be noted they arguably had better talent on defense ( and overall for that matter) that these current Texans, but there might be a comparison to be made.

In 2003, the Panthers had a second year head coach, John Fox. And on offense they made a couple of notable moves. One they acquired a highly thought of backup QB. Sure the Texans "paid" more for Schaub than the Panthers did for Delhomme, but I think Schaub has more upside. Secondly, signed a former Pro Bowl running back. Lastly, they picked 10th in that year's draft, a pick they used on an offensive tackle: Jordan Gross.

So, in following the Panther model, the Texans are only lacking a rookie offensive tackle. Of course, we could consider that "rookie" to be Charles Spencer, presuming he comes back, since he only played what 3 games last season.

Alyways look for the bright side when it comes to a losing team trying to climb out of the cellar.

Texans in '07!!

keyfro
03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
That's what kills me about this move. I'm so disappointed in Rick Smith I could choke him! This move set us back a couple of more years.

you know man it only sets us back a few more years if schaub doesn't pan out...what if he turns out to be just what kubiak thinks he is...a pro bowl QB who has been riding the pine far too long...what if next year he makes all of us forget about david carr and does so well that andre is able to have a career year...i know it's a lot of what if's but us as fans can't be stuck in the end of the world mold that every decision is inheritatly a bad one...at some point we can't become the red sox fans or the eagle fans in phili

So Cal Texan
03-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I have to admit, reading all these post are certainly entertaining. I have to remind myself that an "expert" is simply a "former pert". Armed with that knowledge, it makes more sense.... and hightens the entertainment.

The truth is, no one (not even the experts on this board), Kubiak, Smith, or McNair know whether Schaub is worth the payment or not. You just have to assume that they did their homework, formulated a plan, and pulled the trigger. You also have to assume that they want what's best for the Texans franchise.

However, time will tell. If Schaub turns out to be another Tom Brady....then it becomes a "brilliant" move. If he turns out to be another David Carr, then what ever they paid for him is too much.

However, since Kubiak and Smith are running the show, and I do want to trust and believe that they might know what they are doing, I'm inclinded to wait and see before I pronounce judgement.

Either way, I will support Schaub and hope he's the next Tom Brady. We can't do much worse than the last 5 years. Do I like spending the cost for the move? No, but when you are purchasing anything that you have never tried before, it is a gamble.

I would hope that Kubiak, not only being an ex quarterback, but also putting his livelyhood on the line, would have to believe that Schaub (even with his cost) is worth the risk.

I, for one, will be interested to see if he is worth it. Until then, I will just have to entertain myself with reading all the posts from our local former perts.

sangien
03-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I am not one to critique the teams moves normally. I just like reading the opinions of others. I hope this works out but Like most native Texans I invest a lot of emotion in to my teams and was continually dissapointed by the Oilers. I do not agree with this deal and would of desired to build the team through the draft. That said I will not look forward to this draft and will focus more on my college team. I simply don't undestand the logic but they are, as I'm sure wiser than I ever will be. I wish the team well bt it seems like Deja Vu.

K.D.
03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I just got the news and i must admit it will be days/months before i know Carr is not a TEXAN anymore. Mann, i'm sure gonna miss this guy and it's gonna be hard to get over this, does anyone else feel my PAIN?

OK, I'm over it now and i'm pretty DAMN excited about this team. This is anew era and its called GARY "MF" KUBIAK. I luv what what him and smith are doing, these guys are committed to winning, screw some damn feelings, its all bout winning product on the field. Honestly, Schaub got game and he been waiting to display it for along time and Kubes gonna show him how. MANN U GOTTA LUV THE POSSIBILITIES OF THIS YOUNG TEAM WITHOUT CASSERLY/CAPERS REJECTS.:superman:

Revolution
03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
spencer was a 3rd

Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanon
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru

i think it would be fair to call demeco the exception rather than the rule.

Chester Pitts

I am; however, in favor of this move. I do hate to give up those picks...

thunderkyss
03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Many might disagree, but looking at the Texans moves this offseason has put me in mind of the 2003 Panthers.

The Panthers had drafted a young defensive end they year before, already had a quality young linebacker for their defense. It should be noted they arguably had better talent on defense ( and overall for that matter) that these current Texans, but there might be a comparison to be made.

In 2003, the Panthers had a second year head coach, John Fox. And on offense they made a couple of notable moves. One they acquired a highly thought of backup QB. Sure the Texans "paid" more for Schaub than the Panthers did for Delhomme, but I think Schaub has more upside. Secondly, signed a former Pro Bowl running back. Lastly, they picked 10th in that year's draft, a pick they used on an offensive tackle: Jordan Gross.

So, in following the Panther model, the Texans are only lacking a rookie offensive tackle. Of course, we could consider that "rookie" to be Charles Spencer, presuming he comes back, since he only played what 3 games last season.

Alyways look for the bright side when it comes to a losing team trying to climb out of the cellar.

Texans in '07!!

How do you know this stuff??

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Chester Pitts

I am; however, in favor of this move. I do hate to give up those picks...

I was listening to 610 on the way home and they said if it will make you feel better just think of those two picks as losing Jabar Gaffney and Tony Hollings.

Believe it or not that really did make me feel better.

Heath Shuler
03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
It is a beautiful day may fellow Texans fans.

Did we overpay for Schaub? Maybe, but not significantly.
Did Carrís minimal trade value just decrease? Probably.

I am hopeful, very hopeful. It is nice to see a coach & front office see and admit their mistake. Instead of trying to slam a square peg (keeping Carr) into a round hole, the Texans are finally moving forward.

It is a beautiful day.

aproberts03
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
good pickup for the texans since i think schaub will be a better qb than carr..now hopefully we can trade carr off for a 1st round pick and hopefully the raiders will want him

TexasJedi
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
How do you know this stuff??

Well, the Panthers were the story of the year in 2003. They were a "surprise" team that year, though they were 7-9 the two previous seasons, so they could be labeled underacheivers, much like the Saints till this year. Maybe the Texans fit that mold. The Panthers picked right after the Texans in '02, and we all debated about the merits of Peppers before taking Carr. I knew they had Dan Morgan. And again in '03 everyone had the Texans taking Jordan Gross until just before the draft. Thank the Lord for 'Dre. The Texans were also interested in Stephen Davis when he was a free agent since Charley drafted him in Washington. So, looking back at the moves the Panthers made then and comparing them with the moves the Texans are making now, I hope they can acheive even a measure of the success the Panters did.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-21-2007, 08:41 PM
So, we got Schaub for trading our 1st and their 1st plus our 2nd rd and next year's 2nd to Falcons. And, we still have Carr. If we can trade Carr to let say Oakland for their 3rd.(which is almost like late 2nd rd.), we are actually giving up only next year's 2nd rd. for Schaub which isn't too bad of a deal IMO. I don't know if trading Carr can provide us with 3rd or better, but at least we are getting legit starting QB.

GO TEXANS!!

spurstexanstros
03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I have a question? Does this remind anyone of what happend to Steve Young in Tampa. First, he set NFL records for being sacked(until David Carr) he was replaced through a trade and summarily cut. (like David Carr) He then went to a better team with an O-line and the right system and well the rest is history. David Carr will most likely be cut, He then can sign with the team of his choice(according to NFL network Minnesota). Imagine DC in a Viking jersey protected by Hutchinson and a very good line in a bad division. HMMmm stop me if you have heard that one before.(Young, Favre) Oh and speaking of Favre. Are we texan fans praying that this deal is a repeat of that one? Or is it AJ Feely x 10? I for one believe that lightning strikes twice, and I am hoping it is not elsewhere. however being a houston football fan since i was a kid( Oilers now Texans) I can say my hope in Schaub being another Favre or Brady is low.

Go Texans, the cowboy fans(bandwagonners) have what they want now. May God have mercy on us all ,please do not let us see David Carr in the superbowl for the Vikings.

PapaL
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Quick; name one Falcons backup QB that has been traded for a 1st round pick.

tick

toc

tick

toc

Brett Farve, 1992.

kbourda
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a question? Does this remind anyone of what happend to Steve Young in Tampa. First, he set NFL records for being sacked(until David Carr) he was replaced through a trade and summarily cut. (like David Carr) He then went to a better team with an O-line and the right system and well the rest is history. David Carr will most likely be cut, He then can sign with the team of his choice(according to NFL network Minnesota). Imagine DC in a Viking jersey protected by Hutchinson and a very good line in a bad division. HMMmm stop me if you have heard that one before.(Young, Favre) Oh and speaking of Favre. Are we texan fans praying that this deal is a repeat of that one? Or is it AJ Feely x 10? I for one believe that lightning strikes twice, and I am hoping it is not elsewhere. however being a houston football fan since i was a kid( Oilers now Texans) I can say my hope in Schaub being another Favre or Brady is low.

Go Texans, the cowboy fans(bandwagonners) have what they want now. May God have mercy on us all ,please do not let us see David Carr in the superbowl for the Vikings.

First off, I would like to personally thank Rick Smith for WOW'ing the fan base with this move. I feel move is a great move to inject hope in the franchise. But foremost I hope it comes to fruition.

Now to this post........... Are you f'n kidding me? I have never heard the comparison of Steve Young to David Carr. I tell you what, give me a bit of that ganja you puffing. Look we are all speculating at this point about any QB on this team (in coming/ out going), that's part of the fun. Can I make a brief suggestion? (I'll bet you're saying no, so I'll make it anyway) Channel your expectations for Carr, it's over for him here. Move on like the franchise has.

South Texan
03-21-2007, 09:13 PM
In Kubiak We Trust.

If you buy that then from all accounts I am seeing, Kubiak sees something in Schaub that makes the trade worth the picks we are giving up.

A little speculation here on what the Front Office might be thinking... Considering the sins of the past and what it has done to us in cap room, we still have beefed up the lines and linebackers somewhat through Free Agency. The biggest remaining needs are probably the secondary, a legit deep threat opposite AJ and maybe a center. The draft class this year does seem to be deep in CBs, safties, and WRs if you can believe the "experts".
Carr and a late round pick MIGHT get us a second round from someone, especially since the available QB talent is thin. (Who was it that wanted Plummer this year??)

Wouldn't it be funny if Atlanta got so deparate for a backup to Vick that they trade us back our 2nd for Carr and a 6'th round pick? Yeah, right.

aquafin
03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Congrat to the Texans. I think you guys finally have a QB!!!
I had dreamed that my Dolphins would eventually get him, but I'm happy for you guys!

This guy has some major talent! ...and he's still very young. Lots of upside here.

bpergrem3
03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Shaub is a big, tall kid with an arm that can make every single pass in the book, looks very good while under pressure and has enogh good footwork to slide in the pocket and get his passes off. He doesn't seem to panic at all and the game doesn't look too big for him.

Until he's sacked a couple of hundred times and he starts looking just like Carr. Fix the freaking O-line then worry about bringing in another QB. 2 more 2nd round draft picks have just been wasted.:wheel:

PapaL
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Until he's sacked a couple of hundred times and he starts looking just like Carr. Fix the freaking O-line then worry about bringing in another QB. 2 more 2nd round draft picks have just been wasted.:wheel:

So would a tackle at the #10 spot make you happy?

old football fan
03-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Everybody has been calling for a change at QB and then when it happens they are not happy. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So why don't all of you criers and whinners just shut the **** up. IMHO

thunderkyss
03-21-2007, 09:37 PM

I believe we'd have given up 15 less sacks if David wasn't our QB. That would put us with 28 sacks on the year. That's not bad.

& I think I'm being conservative.

That sliding in the pocket thing Vinny was talking about... that's going to help prevent that getting sacked a couple of hundred times in a short amount of time.

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 09:43 PM

Fix the O-Line? When heathly they're a good enough group to do the job.. It's hard protecting a QB that sacks himself..

People blaiming the O-Line is a joke..

TXurias
03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
So what about trading down and taking Nelson? Maybe pick up another pick by trading down again? Is there value in that?

DocBar
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I hope you boys and girls are happy if this deal goes down. From what I saw on ESPN, we're swapping '07 1st rounders and sending '07 AND '08 2nd rounders to Atlanta. WAY too high a price for me to swallow. IMHO, this is much worse than dealing with Carr next year and really makes me question the confidence I had in Rick Smith and Kubes. Schaub MIGHT end up being the real deal, but his stat line sure doesn't show it. I wonder if Casserly was paying McNair a visit and spiked Smith's drink.
:drunk:

So Cal Texan
03-21-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to link a site, but on 2007 scout.com under Free Agents, Matt Schaub is the only QB with a 5 star rating. The second place QB is Jeff Garcia with a 3 star rating. There are a few 2 star rated QB's, and the rest are 1 star. (For what it's worth)

If someone will tell me how to link, I will be happy to do it.

PapaL
03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to link a site, but on 2007 scout.com under Free Agents, Matt Schaub is the only QB with a 5 star rating. The second place QB is Jeff Garcia with a 3 star rating. There are a few 2 star rated QB's, and the rest are 1 star. (For what it's worth)

Schaub Profile, link (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=124&p=8&c=1&nid=2472558)

TexasJedi
03-21-2007, 10:03 PM

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&yr=2007&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=10

There you go. I hope he lives up to the expectations.

SLO Texan
03-21-2007, 10:06 PM
This makes NO freaking sense to me at all!!!!!

Because:

1)Kubiaks main knock on Carr is that he is too inconsistent with his play. Well what has Schaub done consistently other than sit on the bench watching Vick run around?

2) Whoah, whoah, whoah, there just wait a second Mr.Smith. Didn't you say we were looking to gain draft picks this off season in order to fill the many holes on this lackluster roster of young under achievers and old folks.

Seriously though, why the hell are the Texans making this move? We need more than just a QB, we need OL(2) DL, FS, CB, WR2!!! And it's usually nice to be able to find guys who can fill those holes for multiple years in the second round. But wait we're going to give away our 2nd rd picks for two years and flip flop our first for a completely unproven QB? That's GENIUS Rick!!!

Why the *#@% is Schaub even worth this much? Because Atlanta thinks so and has hyped him up to everyone? They've been basically just waiting for someone to screw over with this guy. Is'nt he supposed to be a free agent next year anyway? Just wait a year why don't ya?
The mystical almighty 3 year bench warmer is going to come save our franchise from the evil David Carr huh? My arse!!!!

I want a change of scenery at our QB position as much as the next guy, but not for this price tag. Not on some dude who happens to be the "BEST" backup QB in the league according to .....what? NOTHING!!!!!

I hope this deal dies and goes to hell immediately!!!!

Imatexanfan
03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
To my Fellow Texan fans:

Okay here we go again, yes it would be nice, cool and all that good stuff if we get Schaub. Now here's the catch....... he still would be attacked because of the O-line now I know here we go again. But hear me out seriously IF we do not address this line problem that we've been having since Day 1. Guess what, it's going to be like Carr all over again, maybe a lil bit better maybe not.

Fact of the matter is, if we are dishing out more money or a butt-load of draft picks for Schaub, it's not worth it because we would be in the same scenario as we are now with no money to spend and stuck with Carr. IF we actually DO get Schaub for cheap and a low draft pick, it's all to the good, but if we don't well it'll be back like we are now.

kastofsna
03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
i LOVE matt schaub. he's a franchise quarterback. i had him in the class with ben roethlisberger and philip rivers coming out of college. top 10 talent, had an injury that hurt his stock a ton. he's going to be an excellent excellent quarterback. he's a STEAL for what you gave up for him. i'm so jealous.

thunderkyss
03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I hope you boys and girls are happy if this deal goes down. From what I saw on ESPN, we're swapping '07 1st rounders and sending '07 AND '08 2nd rounders to Atlanta. WAY too high a price for me to swallow. IMHO, this is much worse than dealing with Carr next year and really makes me question the confidence I had in Rick Smith and Kubes. Schaub MIGHT end up being the real deal, but his stat line sure doesn't show it. I wonder if Casserly was paying McNair a visit and spiked Smith's drink.
:drunk:

It's like drafting Brady Quinn with a second round pick, how can you be upset?? We only slid back 2 spots, and we pick up the best QB FA this offseason, He's a better prospect than all the QBs in the freak'n draft, and we got him for our 2nd round pick.

We'll get a few more picks to replace next years second, don't worry about that.

GuerillaBlack
03-21-2007, 10:11 PM
People are exaggerating on our O-Line. When healthy, we actually are not that bad. Can they help it that their QB slips and falls on his butt every other play? How about holding the ball for ten seconds?

SLO Texan
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Fix the O-Line? When heathly they're a good enough group to do the job.. It's hard protecting a QB that sacks himself..
People blaiming the O-Line is a joke..

Oh I thought that was a joke...I laughed.

In the beginning of last season when our line was'nt completely devestated yet Carr was playing pretty darn good imo. Then he sucked for a long time with three back-ups starting on the line. Coincidence?... I think not.

Alls i'm sayin is EFF Schaub over the Texans future!!

So Cal Texan
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
This makes NO freaking sense to me at all!!!!!

Because:

1)Kubiaks main knock on Carr is that he is too inconsistent with his play. Well what has Schaub done consistently other than sit on the bench watching Vick run around?

2) Whoah, whoah, whoah, there just wait a second Mr.Smith. Didn't you say we were looking to gain draft picks this off season in order to fill the many holes on this lackluster roster of young under achievers and old folks.

Seriously though, why the hell are the Texans making this move? We need more than just a QB, we need OL(2) DL, FS, CB, WR2!!! And it's usually nice to be able to find guys who can fill those holes for multiple years in the second round. But wait we're going to give away our 2nd rd picks for two years and flip flop our first for a completely unproven QB? That's GENIUS Rick!!!

Why the *#@% is Schaub even worth this much? Because Atlanta thinks so and has hyped him up to everyone? They've been basically just waiting for someone to screw over with this guy. Is'nt he supposed to be a free agent next year anyway? Just wait a year why don't ya?
The mystical almighty 3 year bench warmer is going to come save our franchise from the evil David Carr huh? My arse!!!!

I want a change of scenery at our QB position as much as the next guy, but not for this price tag. Not on some dude who happens to be the "BEST" backup QB in the league according to .....what? NOTHING!!!!!

I hope this deal dies and goes to hell immediately!!!!

I have a few questions. What would you expect to pay for a starting QB? And who are you going to get? And at what bargain price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a starting QB is probably this highest priced commodity in the NFL. If not, who is?

kastofsna
03-21-2007, 10:18 PM
indeed, franchise QB's aren't lying around. if you want one, you'll have to pay a little bit to get him. considering what you're giving up, it's a steal.

gtexan02
03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Why is he so highly valued? Where is all this potential coming from?

He has done little to nothing in the NFL regular season. He has looked good in preseason and Training camp, but everyone knows that means nothing (see our entire team last year).

He was drafted 3 years ago, 3rd round 27th pick. Thats not early. Thts practically a 4th round pick.

So why is a 3rd round draft choice who has 2 regular season game experiences being sought after like he's the next Steve Young/Brett Favre?

I agree that I think hes an upgrade over Carr, and I like the trade if only because I think I'm glad Carr is done, but seriously, why has a former 3rd round 27th pick suddently turned into:
2 2nd rounds and 2 spots in the 1st? Thats a huge difference. Its the equivelent of a mid 1st round choice.

The falcons turned a LATE 3rd rounder into a mid 1st rounder in terms of picks used. And my question is: Why?

Zagen30
03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
If he is even decent, I think the deal's a steal and an improvement over Carr. If he's terrible...Well, there have been worse deals. Especially in our history.

t_flare
03-21-2007, 10:26 PM
i hate the trade.... 2 2nd round picks... two potenital Demeco Ryans for a unproven backup? I dont know what to say now..

that and Carr has no value now cause ppl know u are looking to get rid of him.. so instead of makeing teams offering you, you have to offer to the other team

DocBar
03-21-2007, 10:26 PM
It's like drafting Brady Quinn with a second round pick, how can you be upset?? We only slid back 2 spots, and we pick up the best QB FA this offseason, He's a better prospect than all the QBs in the freak'n draft, and we got him for our 2nd round pick.

We'll get a few more picks to replace next years second, don't worry about that.
So we could draft Quinn in '07 AND '08?? Those are the draft picks I hear we're giving up for a QB not named Carr. That's the only thing that matters to a lot of posters on here. I don't know a ton about him, but this smacks of a Casserly/Capers reach to me. Kinda like Babin, T.Johnson,P-Burnt, Hollings, etc...I wish I could get a card game going with our FO, cuz they don't know when to hold 'em. I could go with 1 first day pick, not 2. The dude better go Peyton Manning all over the NFL next year. I keep seeing Sharper and Glenn riding off into the sunset while we just sit on our collective thumbs and rock back and get no compensation cuz our FO THEN were dumb***** too!

SmoochyTX
03-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Please help us win. :wild:

Trap_Star
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Cant wait to see that #7 hit the field...

kastofsna
03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
i think he'll do a great job. very smart, very heady, great leader, good arm, very accurate, perfect mechanics...expecting big things.

DocBar
03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Please help us win. :wild:
Gonna take a lot more than a backup QB to do that. We have 3 on our roster right now!!!!! Two 2nd round picks would go a long way toward helping us win. See also Demeco Ryans.

Texans Pride
03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
I am a football fan, not a football mastermind, so I'd love to hear the dialogue on this subject as well.

We have many resident football geniuses on this board, and I'd love to hear their input.

I don't know enough about him to know if what we gave up is worth what we are getting in return, but my brain is waiting to learn!

Pantherstang84
03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Because the NFL is so QB poor right now. Think about it. There are probanly less than 10 teams in the league that are perfectly happy with their QB situation right now. Houston is not one of them even with Schaub.

The Texan's QB situation falls squarely on McNair's shoulders. Last year was the year to cut their losses with #8 and grab one in the draft.

However, McNair just couldn't bring himself to do it.

I have to admit though. During the first 6 games of last year, I thought Carr was showing some signs of improvement. Then the O line injuries hit and he fell back to 2004 form.

rascous
03-21-2007, 10:32 PM
indeed, franchise QB's aren't lying around. if you want one, you'll have to pay a little bit to get him. considering what you're giving up, it's a steal.

I hope you're right, but what your saying about the Schaub deal is not consistent with what talking heads (like us) are saying on other boards tonight. I suppose time will tell. If we are 8-8 or better, I'd believe!

dirty steve
03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
our new QB is unveiled tomorrow morning 11 am.

Cupps
Your guess, my friend, is as good as mine.

My sentinments exactly.

kastofsna
here's why:

A) he was a 1st round prospect in college. he was injured his senior year and as a result, dropped to the 3rd round. everyone looked at him as a franchise guy, but he just dropped due to the injury. see: kellen clemens last year. first round guy, but injury pushed him back. the jets look at clemens as their QB of the future.

B) he's looked EXCELLENT in preseason. he's looked GOOD in the regular season. when you consider how little he's actually played in the NFL, and how he's playing in an offense designed for a left-handed running quarterback, i'd say he's looked pretty damn impressive.

C) good arm, very accurate, smart, good decision-maker, very heady, a great leader...

D) he's young.

why is he valued so high? because great young quarterbacks with tons of potential aren't just lying around waiting to be scooped up by anyone.

Heath Shuler
03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Why is he so highly valued? Where is all this potential coming from?

He has done little to nothing in the NFL regular season. He has looked good in preseason and Training camp, but everyone knows that means nothing (see our entire team last year).

He was drafted 3 years ago, 3rd round 27th pick. Thats not early. Thts practically a 4th round pick.

So why is a 3rd round draft choice who has 2 regular season game experiences being sought after like he's the next Steve Young/Brett Favre?

I agree that I think hes an upgrade over Carr, and I like the trade if only because I think I'm glad Carr is done, but seriously, why has a former 3rd round 27th pick suddently turned into:
2 2nd rounds and 2 spots in the 1st? Thats a huge difference. Its the equivelent of a mid 1st round choice.

The falcons turned a LATE 3rd rounder into a mid 1st rounder in terms of picks used. And my question is: Why?

QB is the most important position on the field.

kastofsna
03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Gonna take a lot more than a backup QB to do that. We have 3 on our roster right now!!!!! Two 2nd round picks would go a long way toward helping us win. See also Demeco Ryans.
and tony hollins and jabar gaffney.

AtheGreat
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
i think he'll do a great job. very smart, very heady, great leader, good arm, very accurate, perfect mechanics...expecting big things.

if kasto says he works, he works for me. :dance2:

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
i hate the trade.... 2 2nd round picks... two potenital Demeco Ryans for a unproven backup? I dont know what to say now..

that and Carr has no value now cause ppl know u are looking to get rid of him.. so instead of makeing teams offering you, you have to offer to the other team

Dude, teams don't want him even before this trade.. Carr isn't worth the money he's getting.. This franchise made the mistake of giving him max dollars when they could've signed him for a year or two..

Honestly, why would you want Carr and his contract if your a GM of an NFL team? The only team that needs a QB is Oakland but they have a good Draft pick and can even get a QB in the 2nd round better than Carr and his contract..

DocBar
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
and tony hollins and jabar gaffney.

Yeah, Gaffney really stunk it up in the AFC Championship Game. Read some of my other rants on some of our questionable draft picks made by the former regime.

keyfro
03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
i think it's funny...this board has had some amusing threads in the past but this has to be up there in the top 3 all time...you wanted a new QB we got one...you were tired of older veteran players well he's a younger guy...your tired of seeing david carr sacked because he's watching the pass rush instead of the recievers...well here's some fresh blood for the team

i agree it can be frustrating with the draft so close...everyone has their players picked out that they want to us to pick up...i too had about three guys i wanted to see us pick up in round 2 but it's not gonna happen...so everyone just take a deep breath in...let it out...and relax...this kids future is unwritten...kubiak picked this kid for a reason...how about we see what the kid has before we start preparing for the end of world

the o-line isn't that bad as it seemed last year...remember with carr being sacked almost a 3 times a game he was looking for the rush before he was looking down field...that's why we started dumbing down the offense for him

we have our runningbacks set...our young TE is promising...we have freaking ANDRE JOHNSON the friggin best WR in the NFL

he has the tools...he has the players...let's see what this team can do now

DarkNinja
03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
He has something to prove....:snobord:

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM

<cough>Brett Favre<cough> Not saying he's the next Brett but he was playing behind a QB that gets alot of money.. Come on and put 2 and 2 together next time. You think any team is going to have the highest paid QB (I think he is) play backup?

Nawzer
You know I just saw a highlight of him standing tall in the pocket while it was collapsing. He just did a subtle move to his left and delivered a strike to his receiver. After seeing that one highlight I felt excited that we will have a qb who knows what to do when the pocket is crumbling. Welcome to Houston Matt Schaub!

dtran04
Yeah, Gaffney really stunk it up in the AFC Championship Game. Read some of my other rants on some of our questionable draft picks made by the former regime.

He stunk enough so that they went out and got 2 new receivers to replace him.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Not real sure G.

Supposedly he is real good. From some of the ATL fans...it seems like he should be starting in ATL. maybe he should maybe he shouldn't i dont know.

I think the situation in ATL is difficult. They've pretty much screwed themselves with michael vick. I don't know a lot about their team but he doesn't seem like the answer. my guess is that they'd prefer to trade Vick (for a lot) and start schaub. The problem is with Vick's contract...he's practically impossible to trade or get rid of...so they are stuck with him.

It'd be interesting if it's like say a kevin kolb situation...i don't know much about either player but just hear me on the principle. Kolb could be a late 3rd rd pick like schaub was...he'd be sitting here for probably 2 years w/ some game experience. People may be saying he's really good and all. Now PRETEND Carr was a little better. and had like 5 years left on his contract at like $10 mill a year...we couldn't hardly trade carr because it'd cost US too much...so kolb just conitinued to sit. maybe we'd rather kolb start but seems like we're doomed with carr's contract and spending that money for a backup?

probably WAY off on that one..sounded better in my head...lol.

I would assume that a deal with Carr (maybe to oakland) is pretty near complete. and that we wouldn't do that untill this schaub deal went through. I can't wait to find out what we get for Carr. Speculation is all over the place..but i'd rather see a pick next year than this year...and here's why.

we're not getting a 2nd this year. MAYBE a 3rd but oaklands 3rd rder is basically a late 2nd. i think oakland would be more willing to give us a pick next year than this year...IMO oakland will be much improved and have a later pick than 1. say they value carr as a 3rd now..but think #1 in the 3rd is too high. So they trade him for a 2nd next year (assuming they will be picking say in the teens) (that could be dangerous...lol) instead of a 3rd this year...under their assumption it could be only like 16 selections earlier but its in the future not now...so they don't have to give anything up this year and can get oline help or something.

if that went through and our record was the same as oaklands...we'd basically be getting our 2nd rounder back. and We'd have gotten Matt Schaub for an '07 2nd rounder and dropping two spots in the 1st.

Risky move...and maybe a little presumptuous (sp!?!?) on my part but Rick Smith would look like a freaking GENIUS if he pulled that off.

Back to your question G....quite frankly i have no idea...but i like him! lol...i need to see him play though (hahaha)

DocBar
03-21-2007, 10:45 PM
here's why:

A) he was a 1st round prospect in college. he was injured his senior year and as a result, dropped to the 3rd round. everyone looked at him as a franchise guy, but he just dropped due to the injury. see: kellen clemens last year. first round guy, but injury pushed him back. the jets look at clemens as their QB of the future.

B) he's looked EXCELLENT in preseason. he's looked GOOD in the regular season. when you consider how little he's actually played in the NFL, and how he's playing in an offense designed for a left-handed running quarterback, i'd say he's looked pretty damn impressive.

C) good arm, very accurate, smart, good decision-maker, very heady, a great leader...

D) he's young.

why is he valued so high? because great young quarterbacks with tons of potential aren't just lying around waiting to be scooped up by anyone.
A)You obviously have some man-love for the guy.
B)His stat line doesn't exactly bear out any of your claims.
C)I remember Lundy looking GREAT in preseason.
D)The Jets have been looking for a QB since Namath retired.
E) Since when did DC get old? Oh yeah....249 sacks ago.
I'm no Carr lover and no Schaub hater. I just think we paid too much (as usual) for him. If he turns out to be gr8, I guess I'll hafta eat my words. I also believe that there ARE lots of QB's with POTENTIAL out there. There just aren't that many PROVEN good QB's to choose from.

uhcougar08
03-21-2007, 10:46 PM

Hey smartie, it says please help us win, not he will help us win. You make me sick. For Christ sakes, give Matt a chance to prove he is worth his value before you assume that he is not worth two 2nd round picks. You people all make me sick that think that you know so much more than the men that are trying to do their job in the FO. Matt could be horrible, or he could be great, but for you to say that he can not help us win, because he is a back-up QB is rediculous. Let him have his shot, because as a real Houston Texans fan, you should do just that. Now, keep your mouth shut until we find out what he can do, and support the team, not destroy them as they try and rebuild.

Ole Miss Texan
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
here's why:

D) he's young.

good post kast...as usual you seem to know your stuff.

i know this is probably in other threads but don't want to sift through 38 pages...lol.

Schaub knows the WCO correct? is that what he excels in or is he just good in that type of system. Will he be a good fit here as far ast the system?

How does he throw on the run? Does he go through his progressions?

and lastly...

WILL HE RUN PAST THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND THEN PASS THE BALL..TWICE IN ONE GAME?!!

So Cal Texan
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
i think it's funny...this board has had some amusing threads in the past but this has to be up there in the top 3 all time...you wanted a new QB we got one...you were tired of older veteran players well he's a younger guy...your tired of seeing david carr sacked because he's watching the pass rush instead of the recievers...well here's some fresh blood for the team

i agree it can be frustrating with the draft so close...everyone has their players picked out that they want to us to pick up...i too had about three guys i wanted to see us pick up in round 2 but it's not gonna happen...so everyone just take a deep breath in...let it out...and relax...this kids future is unwritten...kubiak picked this kid for a reason...how about we see what the kid has before we start preparing for the end of world

the o-line isn't that bad as it seemed last year...remember with carr being sacked almost a 3 times a game he was looking for the rush before he was looking down field...that's why we started dumbing down the offense for him

we have our runningbacks set...our young TE is promising...we have freaking ANDRE JOHNSON the friggin best WR in the NFL

he has the tools...he has the players...let's see what this team can do now

I love it in my face. Terrific post.

kastofsna
03-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm no Carr lover and no Schaub hater. I just think we paid too much (as usual) for him. If he turns out to be gr8, I guess I'll hafta eat my words. I also believe that there ARE lots of QB's with POTENTIAL out there. There just aren't that many PROVEN good QB's to choose from.
A) uh
B) what claims? that he's looked impressive for a guy who's only played in a handful of games in his whole career? look at any quarterback's first couple of games and compare.
C) i remember a lot of great players looking great in preseason, too.
D) ....
E) ....

very simplistic look at things.

uhcougar08
03-21-2007, 10:49 PM

You just summed it up in two words: FORMER REGIME. Guess what, we have a new one now, and by the way, welcome to Texas.

Titan "Tack" Fan
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Sorry, what's the official trade? Does anyone know?

So Cal Texan
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Would you please tell us who you would get as a starting QB, and what you would be willing to pay for him?

kastofsna
03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
i guess one game justifies him as a 2nd round pick, then. on another team. and he's being replaced, too.

Texans Pride
03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Because the NFL is so QB poor right now. Think about it. There are probanly less than 10 teams in the league that are perfectly happy with their QB situation right now. Houston is not one of them even with Schaub.

What you are describing is essentially the law of "supply and demand". Teams NEED qb's and there aren't a lot out there. However, that doesn't mean that Schaub is worth 2 second-rounders, it just means he has that value since teams covet qb's and the supply is very limited.

In Hawaii, meat is more expensive than it is in Texas. However, it doesn't mean the meat is better, it's only more expensive because it isn't as readily available.

uhcougar08
03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Sorry, what's the official trade? Does anyone know?

We will not know tomorrow until it is officially announced.

CarolinaTexan
03-21-2007, 10:56 PM
um maybe because there are practically no QB's under 30 with potential in this league. I'm not saying hes going to a superstar qb..but he may well be. Also this QB was viewed as one of the best young qb's out there, and most people agree he is a starting caliber qb. BTW, he WAS a first rd. prospect but got injured in college. He recovered just fine and is as good as new.
Also, for people who are hating on schaub, what exactly did you want? Carr to start? Draft a qb? carr is a garunteed losing season, and any rookie will take awhile to learn the system. Thats a nice couple years of losing some more. The fact is we got what was considered the best young non-starting qb on the market, for a couple of 2nd rounders. And we still have carr to trade. All that to say, i would have thought fans of a franchise thats never had a winning record would be elated with this news.

SLO Texan
03-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a few questions. What would you expect to pay for a starting QB? And who are you going to get? And at what bargain price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a starting QB is probably this highest priced commodity in the NFL. If not, who is?

?1)If we were trading for a starting QB like say Alex Smith or hell Vick I could understand giving up two 2nd rd picks and a flip flop of picks.Those guys have both actually proven something very important in my opinion, that they can win games. but not some guy who's simply regarded as the best bench warmer. And dont kid yourself thats all he is right now...a bench warmer!!

?2) Good question.....I have no idea. I think we should have waited until next year when he would have become a FA and /or picked up a QB in this or next years draft. Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware this guy could be the next Brett Favre, but the risk factor compared to the payout scares me right now.( I believe there's an economic term for this but it left me)

?3) I would have considered flip flopping 1st rounders and next years 2nd for Schaub. But on a team lacking depth and quality starters I believe those 2nd rd picks should be valued over an unproven QB. That's possibly two starters on the Texans swiss cheese roster.:beerfunnel: ( this guys awesome!!)

If it happens I'll root my a** off for him every Sunday anyway sooooo.....GO :logo: !!!!

uhcougar08
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
So we could draft Quinn in '07 AND '08?? Those are the draft picks I hear we're giving up for a QB not named Carr. That's the only thing that matters to a lot of posters on here. I don't know a ton about him, but this smacks of a Casserly/Capers reach to me. Kinda like Babin, T.Johnson,P-Burnt, Hollings, etc...I wish I could get a card game going with our FO, cuz they don't know when to hold 'em. I could go with 1 first day pick, not 2. The dude better go Peyton Manning all over the NFL next year. I keep seeing Sharper and Glenn riding off into the sunset while we just sit on our collective thumbs and rock back and get no compensation cuz our FO THEN were dumb***** too!

Not to pin point you, but are you a Titans fan posing over here, because you sure are negative about all this. By the way, what FO do you work for?

Titan "Tack" Fan
03-21-2007, 10:59 PM
We will not know tomorrow until it is officially announced.

OK thanks. Well congrats. Carr wasn't the answer.

Texans Pride
03-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey, I understand that we want to keep the board clean, but why do THREE threads have to be merged into one just because they deal with the same person?

Thread 1: Team Close to Deal for Schaub
Thread 2: Welcome to Houston Matt
Thread 3: The Thing I don't Get About Matt Schaub is. . .

In my opinion, it gets to difficult to sift through 38 pages of a thread when you are wanting to talk about one specific topic

DocBar
03-21-2007, 11:00 PM
You just summed it up in two words: FORMER REGIME. Guess what, we have a new one now, and by the way, welcome to Texas. Geez...so much hate out there. I'm deifinately a Texans fan AND I'm from Texas...just bought a house in Kingwood, by the way. I feel the same as you guys do. I'm just not going to go bonkers over a trade that looks, on the surface, like a bad deal for us. This is a deep draft at some positions we need to fill. Maybe the guy will come in and tear up the league, maybe he'll come in and , never mind, don't wanna jinx the guy...None of us know how this will turn out, but I know that I, for 1, would rather have my draft picks.

uhcougar08
03-21-2007, 11:07 PM
OK, that is cool. I live in Kingwood also, so welcome home. I just want people to understand that the FO and Kubes made a decision on where the future is going, and are willing to give up a little bit more than expected to try and succeed. I know we wish we did not have to give up any picks, but if this works out, the picks will be worth it. If it does not, we can speculate on that later. Just be happy that the FO is trying to go in a different direction then DC, and let's try and be part of football in Houston.

TexasJedi
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Here's something that occurred to me, and maybe someone else. I have not read every post in this rather lengthy thread. But, do we regret the Texans cutting Eric Moulds loose now? Sure they saved a little on the cap, but unless they take a receiver with that first pick, I doubt they'll find a better one in round 3 or later. That is for next year at least. It is clear that a younger replacement was needed for Moulds, but I think they could have gotten another year out of him, given that there would be a new QB in town.

hadaad
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
the texans completely reversing their position on david carr is what im referring to as the world uprighting itself. Say it with me, Met-A-Phor. I don't care if you believe me or not.

I believe that you know a guy in the office who heard something. I believe that you believed what he said completely. Do I believe that he believed what he was telling you? I don't know. Do I believe that Matt Schaub will be a Texan tomorrow and that David Carr will be gone by Training Camp? Yes. Did I believe it before? Probably not. Did what you said have anything to do with that? No.

I just think that your metaphor is a little melodramatic.