View Full Version : Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Vinny
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Welcome to H-town Matt

http://www.virginia.edu/president/report04/images/drawing8.jpg

Dunta_23
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Could anyone tell me what the exact deals of the trade are? Is it just a second for Schaub? Or did we give up more?

2007 2nd round pick
2008 2nd round pick

swap of first rounders in 2007
Texans move from #8 to #10

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
HEY VINNY IT MIGHT BE TIME FOR THE NEW NAME...........(damn I'm still thinking :dance2: )

Stump the Schaub

Playmaker
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
He did start for them, but only five total gmes in 2000. I'm not sure he was ever their "starter" per se...
One thing I never realized is that he started 14 games for the 'Skins in '98.

Starting for the first five games is still a starter, he WAS the incumbent starter, it wasn't like he was an unknown backup QB that the Chiefs got from the Rams.

Texan in Japan
Doing a little draft chartin'

Swapping 1sts = 100pts
#39 this year = 510 pts
mid second rd next year = 190 pts ( usually picks in next year's draft drop a rounds worth of value)

That makes for a total of 800 pts or the equivalent of the 21st pick of the draft this year. It is also the same number of points it would take to move up to #3 this year.

This doesn't include whatever they can get for Carr in a trade ...

Nice info, but I don't like giving up two 2nds...a 3rd or 4th next year and I'd feel a lot better.

Second Honeymoon
Typical Schaub homer rhetoric. :)

Schaub homer...now i have a sig

to be honest, the more i think about the deal the more i get this nauseating feel...it looks like it is 2!! 2nd rounders...that is pretty damn expensive imho

it sucks that carr isnt as highly regarded as Schaub

well ESPN hot list about to go off on the trade

afcman
I'm happy. How's this..... keep Carr as our backup? Just a thought. He'll most likely be a backup no matter where he goes.

Do you think we draft a QB next year?

Man, it feels good to finally see some action that's positive. Too bad the season doesn't start next week. I'm READY!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm happy. How's this..... keep Carr as our backup? Just a thought. Sage is his back up and wont cost 9 mil a year...we can put that money to get some other players next year.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
ESPN's graphic says 1 2nd round but the talking head just said 2 2nd rounders.

im pretty much given up that it was a very expensive deal for the Texans...i hope it works out for all of us

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Starting for the first five games is still a starter, he WAS the incumbent starter, it wasn't like he was an unknown backup QB that the Chiefs got from the Rams.

Actually he was the back-up in Washington and got traded to Stl but he got hurt and Kurt took over and that is when he was traded to KC. He was not a starter for a full complete season.

Ckw
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
2007 2nd round pick
2008 2nd round pick

swap of first rounders in 2007
Texans move from #8 to #10

Ok that's not so bad. I was under the impression the Falcons drafted late. Looks like we could still get Landry!!! Or at least Levi Brown...

Mr. B
03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
How are you all so Giddy about this.

Yea Carr is gone but we dropped two spots in the draft which probably is no big deal but then we give up our second round picks in this year and next year draft for a QB who is at best nothing more than another sub for most teams.

Sorry I just don't see where this is such a good deal.

Crap just keep the picks and take a QB in the Second round to work on and build.

B

Maddict5
I somehow hope that AD falls to 8 and the Falcons draft him...I dont like this deal at all....I wasnt even crazy about it when it was just 1 2nd round pick...let alone 2 2nds and a swap of firsts....Rick Smith took a beating on this deal IMO....Schaub has proven absolutely nothing to this point to be giving up essentially a first round pick for(which is what all the picks add up to)...I hate the fact of giving up the 2 2nds more than the swap of picks in the first...
I think there would have been a top tier DB available at #39 that would have been able to help out in the long run...I guess all the Sage lovers are sad today cause their guy seems to still be the backup...I hope Carr gets a third this yr and a third next yr at least or I will be VERY dissapointed in the FO with this deal.

hmm..it amounts to a late 1st round pick which is ok in my book for a young, highly regarded qb

schaub hasnt proven anything?? well hes proven more than quinn and russell.. yeah we take a hit at #39 but it will be more than worth it if schaub works out as hoped

Chance_C
Adam Schefter or just said (NFL Network) a package that does include a 2nd round pick. He said that the Texans have a long term deal in place with Schaub. I repeat he said "a package that does include a 2nd round pick" with no further elaboration.

Koolaid Time
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Atlanta Paper reports Schaub deal contingent to contract restructure...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/21/0322falcons.html?cxntnid=bn032107e

Falcons near deal to trade Schaub
Backup QB would go to Texans, contingent on new contract

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/21/07

In potentially the biggest move of the Falcons' offseason, backup quarterback Matt Schaub could be traded to the Houston Texans for two second-round picks and an exchange in first-round draft placement this season, according to an NFL official with knowledge of the situation.

Houston and Atlanta were in deep discussions about a trade Wednesday afternoon, but a deal could not be finalized until Schaub, a restricted free agent, reaches a new contract with Houston.

Should the deal go through, as is expected, the Falcons would move up two notches to No. 8 in this April's NFL draft and receive Houston's second-round draft pick in each of the next two seasons. That would give Atlanta three of the top 45 selections in this season's draft to address several key areas.

The Texans would move back two spaces in the draft to No. 10.

A trade of Schaub also would free up $2.3 million in salary-cap space, which was occupied by the one-year free-agent tender the Falcons extended Schaub to retain his rights, even though his contract had expired.

"Matt is a restricted free agent and he is entitled to visit any team and do what he may want to do," Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay responded to a question from the AJC on a national conference call with NFL media, that was intended to discuss the agenda for next week's NFL owners meetings in Phoenix. "We've talked to a number of teams who have interest in Matt. Beyond that, that's about all I'm going to say."

Joby Branion, who represents Schaub, could not be reached for comment.

Having so many high selections could enable Atlanta to put together trade deals to move up in the draft or slide down and acquire even more selections. However, with needs at nearly spot on defense, running back and the offensive line, the Falcons could very well stick with their current allotment, especially since they pick in the top half of all seven rounds.

Schaub, a third-round pick in 2004, started just two games in his three seasons with the Falcons, losing both. However, his performances in relief of starter Michael Vick and showings in preseason made Schaub a coveted player over the past two seasons. The Falcons rebuffed trade inquiries about Schaub last season, with team owner Arthur Blank making it clear that he wanted an adequate backup should Vick go down with an injury.

The change in thinking about retaining Schaub stemmed from him becoming an unrestricted free agent after the upcoming season and signing with another team without the Falcons' receiving compensation.

If Schaub is dealt, second-year Georgia product D.J. Shockley would move into the role as Vick's backup, although the Falcons likely would acquire a veteran backup with game experience who could step in and play should the new coaching staff, led by Bobby Petrino, not feel secure with Shockley.

Ironically, Houston quarterback David Carr could soon be on the open market, since the acquisition of Schaub seemingly ends his tenure there after being the expansion franchise's first overall pick in 2002. Other free agent quarterbacks with extended NFL experience include Drew Bledsoe, Aaron Brooks, Jay Fiedler, Joey Harrington and Anthony Wright.

houstonhurricane
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Doing a little draft chartin'

Swapping 1sts = 100pts
#39 this year = 510 pts
mid second rd next year = 190 pts ( usually picks in next year's draft drop a rounds worth of value)

That makes for a total of 800 pts or the equivalent of the 21st pick of the draft this year. It is also the same number of points it would take to move up to #3 this year.

This doesn't include whatever they can get for Carr in a trade ...

Bingo! I can't believe that we gave that much up for him...way too much IMO.

Dunta_23
03-21-2007, 02:06 PM
hmm..it amounts to a late 1st round pick which is ok in my book for a young, highly regarded qb

schaub hasnt proven anything?? well hes proven more than quinn and russell.. yeah we take a hit at #39 but it will be more than worth it if schaub works out as hoped

If he is SO highly regarded...how come he hadnt been traded yet?

sprtsfanatic
I'm happy. How's this..... keep Carr as our backup? Just a thought. He'll most likely be a backup no matter where he goes.

Do you think we draft a QB next year?

Man, it feels good to finally see some action that's positive. Too bad the season doesn't start next week. I'm READY!!!!!!!!!!

Way too expensive for a backup...will not happen...carr is packing his locker as we speak.

threetoedpete
I don't know what you people are talking about. This is an excllent deal. We get an up and coming starting QB far superior to any we had on the roster, and all we give up is 2 2nd rounders and swap 2 spots in the 1st rd? Are you kidding me? Good QB's don't just grow on trees.

The way I see it, we were going to pick a QB in either rd 1, 2 or 3. Let's say we had drafted a rookie in rd 2. Instead we just drafted a young more proven and seasoned vet in rd 2. In return, we get some kind of compensation for Carr, so we need to see there. Also, we can always try to trade down and recoup one or both 2nd rounders. But, even if Carr is cut, and we stay at #10, this is an excellent deal.

The comments of some about how Schaub's numbers aren't good proves the old adage that liars figure and figures lie. I have seen Schaub play. Apparently, you guys have not. The guy can play rings around Carr. You guys can have Carr and his high competion percentage. Give me Schaub and his so called bad numbers any day. I never thought it was possible because I thought we had to surrender a 1st and 3rd. Great deal, and the greatest day in Texans history to this point. :francis: :drunk: :marionaner:

Well you just put the clubs fortunes for the next three years on that..."assement". Fifty percent is fifty percent...no matter which liar posts them. 5.0 forty is still a 5.0 forty...the guy is not running away from anyone. And he isn't Farve....You'll notice in the Atalanta papers report...they are printing the largest deal in "Atlanta's" franchise history ...not the Texan's. They've put all off there eggs into this basket we'll see. I'm just wondering now Porky how long you're support for Schaub will last ? Will he get two full seasons from you even if the rubber on the road doesn't meat with your "assement ? Inquiring minds want to know.

TwinSisters
YAHOOOOO!OOOOO!OO!O!OO!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!

time to call up the fellas for a barbcue in the rain!!!

Playmaker
How could you hate the deal, I could give more production that our QB did down the stretch last year

We are to presume that you are any semblance of an athlete that can at least run 10 yards without being out of breath? That's probably longer then the typical distance of a typical fridge from a typical couch...

utahmark
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
wasnt it just last year when kubes thought carr was our guy. he cant have near as much information on schaub(who never starts) than he did on carr. hope he is right this time.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm just wondering now Porky how long you're support for Schaub will last ? Will he get two full seasons from you even if the rubber on the road doesn't meat with you "assement ? Inquiring minds want to know.
Mark (Porky) is more of a Texans fan than a fan of Carr...unlike many of the Carr homers it seems.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM

because the price is so high. which it was.

afcman

Well, we heard that a lot of teams wanted Carr too. Nobody knocked THAT door down.

This is a good deal.

AGGIEZ
I was pissed after originally hearing about this 30 minutes ago. Now I'm fine with it for several reasons:

1. This means we won't be grafting Brady Carr...er....Quinn.
2. This most likely puts us in a better spot to take Landry or Nelson instead of "reaching" at #8
3. Carr will certainly be gone soon and we will get something in return even if it's a 4th rounder (crossing fingers)
4. This proves that our front office is actually at work and not on the back nine somewhere.

I would be happier with this year's 2nd and next year's 3rd, but I can live with the deal as is for the reasons above.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
wasnt it just last year when kubes thought carr was our guy. he cant have near as much information on schaub(who never starts) than he did on carr. hope he is right this time.
We all know this much....one year later he ran away from Carr as fast as he could. If you couldn't figure out Carr wasn't that good and dissapointed Kubiak, this ought to be a big fat clue. Besides, Kubiak will never admit it but backing Carr was a way to get his hometown job. McNair and Casserly are to blame for re-upping Carr last year. I don't blame Kubiak for telling them what they want to hear till he got in and got busy.

Maddict5
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM

im not going to get into dumb rhetoric with you...take it FWIW

Vinny
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
If he is SO highly regarded...how come he hadnt been traded yet?This is the first year he has been eligible....he was traded within 30 days of his first elibility to visit FA.

Playmaker
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Actually he was the back-up in Washington and got traded to Stl but he got hurt and Kurt took over and that is when he was traded to KC. He was not a starter for a full complete season.

He wasn't a starter for the full season because he got hurt!...or was he about get benched right before he got hurt? Nope, he was going to be the starter for that year, c'mon people, use logic here. Yeah I know Kurt went on to have a great year and Trent had to sit, but I think we can assume safely that if Trent never got hurt he would have started the rest of that year. I don't remember him playing bad during his 5 starts.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I was pissed after originally hearing about this 30 minutes ago. Now I'm fine with it for several reasons:

1. This means we won't be grafting Brady Carr...er....Quinn.
2. This most likely puts us in a better spot to take Landry or Nelson instead of "reaching" at #8
3. Carr will certainly be gone soon and we will get something in return even if it's a 4th rounder (crossing fingers)
4. This proves that our front office is actually at work and not on the back nine somewhere.

I would be happier with this year's 2nd and next year's 3rd, but I can live with the deal as is for the reasons above.

agree 100%

real
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Everything in life that is good requires some pain, hard work, and risks...

TexanAddict
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Swap of 1st in 07, 2nd in 07, and 2nd in 08. This feels a bit pricey to me. I hope we are able to recoup at least some of what we lost by trading Carr and possibly moving back a little farther in the 1st. We would still be able to get one of the top CBs or possibly Nelson.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Mark (Porky) is more of a Texans fan than a fan of Carr...unlike many of the Carr homers it seems.

Agreed

Also, why are people freaking about this deal? We are a team that has never seen the bright side of .500. This starts us in a new direction. Your hope is that the 2nd rounder next year won't be a problem because you are winning and turning the corner.

From what I read Schaub fits the system, has the skill to succeed here and he is farther ahead and young enough to be better than what we could have drafted.

To me we can still pick up picks moving down so it will definitely be an exciting draft day to see how we can improve. If this goes down I'm looking forward to a new look backfield.....I'm also ready to have people say, should he succeed, that he has better people around him than Carr. It will always be about what people didn't do for him.

afcman
Man I can't wait for the draft!!!!!!

Whoo! I finally feel good about our GM and coach. :yahoo:

Man the guys on Sirius LOVES this for the texans. The talk is that Schaub has leadership abilities. JUST what we need on the field.

Sorry, but Carr was NOT a leader.

bigbrewster2000
Everything in life that is good requires some pain, hard work, and risks...

oh so true.

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
We are to presume that you are any semblance of an athlete that can at least run 10 yards without being out of breath? That's probably longer then the typical distance of a typical fridge from a typical couch...

considering I almost got a spot on the boxing olympic team......yeah I can run at least 10 yards without running out of breath.........just came up one 7/11 gas station fight and a broken hand short.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
We all know this much....one year later he ran away from Carr as fast as he could. If you couldn't figure out Carr wasn't that good and dissapointed Kubiak, this ought to be a big fat clue. Besides, Kubiak will never admit it but backing Carr was a way to get his hometown job. McNair and Casserly are to blame for re-upping Carr last year. I don't blame Kubiak for telling them what they want to hear till he got in and got busy.

what about the candidate that was homering so hard for the job that he said 'he WOULDNT take the job if Vince was drafted'. lawl..lawl...thank God it looks like McNair is getting out of the way....Every candidate and his agent knew that showing the willingness to work with McNair's poolboy errr QB.

utahmark

maybe... but im more of the believe that he saw carr's physical talent and thought he would be able to fix his mental flaws(to do that you need more than a year). but im through with carr now as is this team and now im a schaub homer. watch out once you start critizing him cause im gonna be after you just like with carr.:dance2:

real

I think it was a combination of that + building Carr's confidence by showing he had total trust in him to get it done...

IMO, this doesn't reflect on Kubiak as much as it does on McNair

Mr teX
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
OHHHHHH Snap, Kubes & Smith are making moves big time. Finally a competent front office.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
considering I almost got a spot on the boxing olympic team......yeah I can run at least 10 yards without running out of breath.........

memo to self: dont get into it with Carr Bomb :joker:

TheManTheMyth
03-21-2007, 02:22 PM
So they are trading pick 8, trading second rd picks this yr and next??? for pick 10 and schaub? isn't that a bit much. We could move up and get peterson or russel for that (if carr is going to oakland)

nunusguy
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Swap of 1st in 07, 2nd in 07, and 2nd in 08. This feels a bit pricey to me.
Those "other considers" in addition to this years 2 rounder did get pricey,
didn't they. But its a gamble, and worth it if he's even a capable starter.
After that, what's the upside ? And the downside ? You pays your money, and you takes your chances.
BTW, so much for Rick Smith claiming he wants to increase Drafts pick rather
than trade them away.

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Or a Vince Young fan than some.... It's a bad deal. It's a panic move by a staff in a corner. Hope it works out there Vinny. I stand by everything I've posted. We'll see how long this euphiria last there Vinny. I'm not happy about another five year plan, that's for sure. There's only so many restarts in the bag before we reach Tampa Bay Status. I would of been better if they held their water. Atlanta just got rich with a way out from under Vick. We got hosed from my prespective. Maybe that makes me less of a fan ?

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
So they are trading pick 8, trading second rd picks this yr and next??? for pick 10 and schaub? isn't that a bit much. We could move up and get peterson or russel for that (if carr is going to oakland)
You are getting a player with 3 years of league experience instead of gambling on a rookie QB.

Porky
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Well you just put the clubs fortunes for the next three years on that..."assement". Fifty percent is fifty percent...no matter which liar posts them. 5.0 forty is still a 5.0 forty...the guy is not running away from anyone. And he isn't Farve....You'll notice in the Atalanta papers report...they are printing the largest deal in "Atlanta's" franchise history ...not the Texan's. They've put all off there eggs into this basket we'll see. I'm just wondering now Porky how long you're support for Schaub will last ? Will he get two full seasons from you even if the rubber on the road doesn't meat with your "assement ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Well, seeing how I fully supported Carr going into his 4th full year, and didn't completely abondon support for him until the Tenn game last yr, how about I give Schaub 5 years too. That should be fine with all the Carr homers. Try looking at my post history. Try looking at all my PM's with Vinny and others, along with phone conversations where we argued about Carr, and about how I wanted him to have another chance with Kubes. You can try and fit me into your nice little box, but it won't work.

lance2112
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Lets hope this puts an end to all the QB bs

Vinny
Or a Vince Young fan than some.... It's a bad deal. It's a panic move by a staff in a corner. Hope it works out there Vinny. I stand by everything I've posted. We'll see how long this euphiria last there Vinny. I'm not happy about another five year plan, that's for sure. There's only so many restarts in the bag before we reach Tampa Bay Status. I would of been better if they held their water. Atlanta just got rich with a way out from under Vick. We got hosed from my prespective. Maybe that makes me less of a fan ?
You aren't less of a fan...but you aren't too insightful perhaps...but I will say you are consistant, so you have that going for you. :wild:

bigbrewster2000
Those "other considers" in addition to this years 2 rounder did get pricey,
didn't they. But its a gamble, and worth it if he's even a capable starter.
After that, what's the upside ? And the downside ? You pays your money, and you takes your chances.
BTW, so much for Rick Smith claiming he wants to increase Drafts pick rather
than trade them away.

They can still gain picks by trading back and getting something for Carr. So his statements could still be true.

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Lets hope this puts an end to all the QB bs

What do you mean this gives us the opportunity to start up all new QB BS :)

real
03-21-2007, 02:27 PM
maybe... but im more of the believe that he saw carr's physical talent and thought he would be able to fix his mental flaws(to do that you need more than a year). but im through with carr now as is this team and now im a schaub homer. watch out once you start critizing him cause im gonna be after you just like with carr.:dance2:

Just my personal opinion, but I don't ever think Kubiak "really" deep down inside had as much confidence in David as he showed in the media and in public...

Think about the Titans game and every other game that David played poorly...

I think the only reason David stayed in the starting line-up is because Kubiak knew that's the only way he'd be able to make Carr sink or swim....Even if Sage comes in and is mediocre or slightly better than David there'd still be cries from the Carr Supporters(Which of whom McNair is the biggest member) to give him another year...

ALAS NO MORE...THE TIME HAS COME TO RID OURSELVES OF THIS PLAUGE WE CALL CARR.

No offense to Carr the man, father, husband, brother or son...

threetoedpete
03-21-2007, 02:28 PM

GD it ! read the freakin' links. We swap from our current 8 into Atlanta's 12. We give up a pair of twoes. One in "07 and one in '08.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:29 PM

if you dont agree with the deal, that is totally cool. i think it was too pricey myself (as presently detailed errr rumored). I just think we should all give this guy even half the patience we have ALL shown towards Carr. Just wait till the end of the 07 season to lay into Schaub. If you want to criticize the deal, fine. Just give the guy a few games before we start criticizing the player himself.

if you want the deal to fail to somehow show that it wasn't Carr's fault, then that would definitely make you less of a Texans fan. I don't think that is the case though, I think it was just how I perceived your words which were walking the line.

real

Exactly...

All the "Carr lovers" have officially, yet unofically become "Schaub haters" and Vice versa...

It will never end untill Schaub comes out and lights it up an shuts their mouths...

bigbrewster2000
GD it ! read the freakin' links. We swap from our current 8 into Atlanta's 12. We give up a pair of twoes. One in "07 and one in '08.

ATL's 12? Deap breaths Pete 10th pick

infantrycak

Atlanta has #10 not #12.

Cupps
03-21-2007, 02:30 PM
But we won't get NEAR what we gave up, even if we trade Carr. I like that we're moving forward here... but this all seems to pricey to me.

FWIW, if you look at the draft pick values... Matt Schaub is the equivalent of the 14th overall pick with this trade. I don't know if I'm buying that.

*cross fingers* I guess we'll see what happens.

Dunta_23
All I am trying to say is....Its not like teams were bending themselves over backwards to get Schaub...he hasnt proven much yet....and I know to get reward you need to take risks....BUT....everybody on here always talks trading down cause we need more picks and everyone bashes the idea of trading UP to potentially get a super star....yet when we make a trade and give up a bunch...they seem to be fine with it...The price just seems pretty steep for a QB of Schaubs nature...it doesnt seem as tho there was a bidding war going on for the guy either...The sting will go away if we can muster up a 3rd/and or a player for Carr.

Malloy
Man I can't wait for the draft!!!!!!

Whoo! I finally feel good about our GM and coach. :yahoo:

Man the guys on Sirius LOVES this for the texans. The talk is that Schaub has leadership abilities. JUST what we need on the field.

Sorry, but Carr was NOT a leader.

What I saw from him on the field when Vick got injured impressed me alot. Posed, concentrated, alert and taking command of the game, if he can do half of what he did in a Falcons jersey, I'll be HAPPY with this trade.

Actually, I have a feeling he'll do all of this, so I'm already happy :)

Celebrating this with drinky drinky already! :)

Vinny
03-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Exactly...

All the "Carr lovers" have officially, yet unofically become "Schaub haters" and Vice versa...

It will never end untill Schaub comes out and lights it up an shuts their mouths...
Most of them have California IP's or are related to Carr....don't worry, we won't see a ton of these guys soon. They were never Texans fans...just Carr fans.

nunusguy
Matthew Rutledge Schaub (pronounced sch-aob) (born June 25, 1981 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is an American football quarterback who is currently a quarterback for the Houston Texans. He played quarterback at West Chester East High School, and he went on to attend The University of Virginia where he owns virtually every school passing record.

Schaub was drafted by the Falcons with the 90th overall choice in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub
Check this out. Its already in Wikipedia !

lance2112

Yea wouldnt it suck to see carr and VY in the superbowl next year as were wondering if kubiak can fix Schaub

Playmaker
considering I almost got a spot on the boxing olympic team......yeah I can run at least 10 yards without running out of breath.........

yay...you're in shape...and so you can memorize a playbook, throw a football 60 yards, can avoid a 260 pound guy going full speed at you, etc etc? I guess you can show up at the Texans training camp and end this QB search nonsense, where have you been, Rick and and Gary have been waiting for you...:)

anyways, back to the thread...

Honoring Earl 34
I ... as a Texan fan now have renewed HOPE for the future .

Pete do you think Brady or Manning can break a 5.0 in the 40 .

The most important tool a QB can have is his brain not his feet .

Second Honeymoon
Exactly...

The Circle Of Life

dirty steve
this HAS to mean they have something in place to move carr to oakland or somewhere else. they lose all leverage the moment schaub agrees to that deal.

IMHO--i like the deal. the two this year is OK, and they have likely done their homework enough that they are confident that they will get a player they want at 10. the two next year stings a bit, but it's almost a move you have to make. hopefully carr can net that three back. we'll see...i think you have to get something back for carr to make up for losing the 2 this and next year.

ThaShark316
This adds alot of story lines for the 2007 season...

Houston @ Atlanta in 2007.

Doody
This trade is very exciting, albeit very pricey, but hopefully it remains pricey and never turns costly. I know very little about schaub other than he is thought very highly of around the league. I hate losing 2 second round picks because its my favorite round, since it still has lots of recognizable names and theres tons of talent and you never really know who youll get unlike the first. I think Atlanta will still take landy at #8 by the way, i could be wrong. I would love to get him myself, but if we do, I firmly believe we need to spend anything pick we get for carr and maybe our other 3rd and 4th on O-linemen. I dont want there to be any excuses for Schaub not to succeed (we have at least above avg. talent around him on offense as of now with Green, Johnson, and Daniels). NOTE: we are no longer dealing with Carr who we all knew was durable and could take hits. No one knows how durable Schaub is, and if he gets injured early in his tenure as a texan, I will place the blame squarly on the FO and it will in my mind become the worst mistake in Texan FO history...you CANT make the same mistake twice PLEASE

Skrobes66
03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
This deal is terrible........We give up picks like the Washington Redskins. We need draft picks.....I am not a fan of Kolb but I would much rather see us draft him for a 4th or sit tight with an experienced vet. We dont have to fix every position in one year. Schuab is a 3rd round pick from Virginia. He has not done anything in college or the NFL. I would rather get a QB that has at least done something in college.

I am officially praying for San Antonio to get a team because this organization is broke. Good luck to you all!

HoustonFrog

Is this the same plan we or the Titans were going to have to be on because VY couldn't learn the offense and needed 3 years to learn and watch?The guy has been a backup and has played in the NFL. It isn't a rookie move. I'm starting to think...strike that, I knew all along... people were more concerned that Carr stay and prove doubters wrong than the Texans, as a team, move forward and make some headway. I never like giving up picks but if we are near or in the playoffs in 2 years with this guy then I'm a happy camper. We already have sat through 5 below .500, head beating on the wall seasons. Everyone complains to let the coaches coach..well Kubes knows QBs so this is something we have to trust them on.

Second Honeymoon
Yet again the front office pees on us and tells us its raining!

Geez! 2 - 2nd round picks for a guy that cant even start on his own team

ouch. the guy is playing behind Vick and his HUGE contract. lets give the guy at least one game behind Center for the Texans...please

infantrycak
03-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Geez! 2 - 2nd round picks for a guy that cant even start on his own team

That's friggin ridiculous--he is sitting behind a $100 mil QB who also rushes for 1000 yds. Not that I like Vick but it is absurd to not look at the situation in front and just dismiss him as a backup. Its not like Sage who has sat behind illustrious QB's like Tony Banks, Jay Fiedler and Carr.

Grid
guys.. we did NOT give up that many picks. We are talking TWO picks here.. our 2nd this year and our 2nd next year.

Assuming that we would have spent a draft pick on a QB (and we would have) then really we are only out one pick.

And we still have Carr to trade.

SESupergenius
So what they are saying is that Schaub is better than Quinn? Or that maybe we never really had a chance at getting Quinn and that since obviously out of here, they needed a QB better than Sage, which Schaub clearly is. Or are they bringing in Schaub to compete with Carr if no deal can be made with the Raiders

Stay tuned..... same Bat Time.....Same Bat channel.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Most of them have California IP's or are related to Carr....don't worry, we won't see a ton of these guys soon. They were never Texans fans...just Carr fans.

*cheers*

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 02:35 PM
guys.. we did NOT give up that many picks. We are talking TWO picks here.. our 2nd this year and our 2nd next year.

Assuming that we would have spent a draft pick on a QB (and we would have) then really we are only out one pick.

Good Take Grid, we will obviously get something for Carr and hopefully it will fill at least one of the 2nd round voids. Although this team still needs drafted talent.

Mr teX
Goes to show how little faith Kubes had in Sage, while a good portion of people were crying to start him. & don't give me the "Sage is still in the mix to start...." excuse b/c for what the texans are allegedly giving up, Schaub is definitely coming here to be the starter.

Other than that, i'm happy for us & let's see what the kid has.

TopTexanFan16
ouch. the guy is playing behind Vick and his HUGE contract. lets give the guy at least one game behind Center for the Texans...please

See i agree with you but i still dont feel someone even if playing behind vick is worth two 2nd round picks and a swap of our first. hes a backup for crying out loud, but i will give him a chance just feel bad for the guy cause my expectations for him are going to be very high, haha.

Second Honeymoon
I ... as a Texan fan now have renewed HOPE for the future .

Pete do you think Brady or Manning can break a 5.0 in the 40 .

The most important tool a QB can have is his brain not his feet .'

he gets it...its all about what is upstairs...has been that way ever since the advent of the forward pass

Cupps
I don't know if we have "Schaub Haters" as much as people thinking that Schaub isn't worth the price tag. Just my two cents.

dirty steve
Or are they bringing in Schaub to compete with Carr if
you give up that much, schaub better not be competing with anybody.

rockabilly
03-21-2007, 02:37 PM
It feels like Saddam Hussein was toppled in here! Is there a statue to pull down of Carr?

Lets just not put up that "Mission Accomplished" banner yet.....we all know how that turned out.

Sco-tai
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell happened to building through the draft!

2 2nd round picks - TERRIBLE

I COMPLETELY agree.

I mean....the freaking ONLY player we have on our team to show for the second round is RYANS, (off the top of my head).

This stinks like A.J. Feely & Rob Johnson. A back-up with little/no experience. I mean....VOLEK whinned cause he wasn't starting...(and CARR-HATERS on here were talking about him in 2004 for the Texans). I think Volek is now selling knives or encyclopedias, right!?

Ugh.

And we're dropping 2 slots AND 2 picks of the 2nd round.
Was this reported on Channel 2 at 2:00?
Two too many twos!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
The next time we ask our QB to sprint 40 yards downfield will be the first. Schaubs 40 time is of no concern to me, and obviously not a concern of Kubiaks.

El Amigo Invisible
I rather draft a QB than give up 2 high picks for one...
I agree.

Second Honeymoon
This deal is terrible........We give up picks like the Washington Redskins. We need draft picks.....I am not a fan of Kolb but I would much rather see us draft him for a 4th or sit tight with an experienced vet. We dont have to fix every position in one year. Schuab is a 3rd round pick from Virginia. He has not done anything in college or the NFL. I would rather get a QB that has at least done something in college.

I am officially praying for San Antonio to get a team because this organization is broke. Good luck to you all!

dont let the door hit you in your 17 posts arse....

goodbye and good riddance

HomeBred_Texan
Then why not wait until next year when the kid is an unrestricted free agent?

Swapping firsts and giving them 2 second rounders is way too steep of a price for him....

kiwitexansfan
03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
If the price is swapping first rounders and second rounders this year and next year I don't think that price is too high if you are going to get an above average QB. After all it is only a couple of spots this year and if we improve because of the trade it will probably be a small change next year too.

Whether Schaub is or could be an above average QB is another question.
I guess that is something we can only truly tell once he is with the Texans and has played in our system for a while.

Errant Hothy
I love how everybody is just using the worst trade scenario. Between all the media outlets I don't think anybody knows what was involved in the trade...so untill we know for certian lets all take a shot of whiskey and pretend that we are working.

bigbrewster2000

Now that is insight strait from the book of logic written by Charlie Casserly:drool:
J/K

eriadoc
I mentioned befre the end of the season that I'd like to see the Texans go after Schaub, and it was stated at the time that the price would likely be too high, which I could understand. Now, I am happy.

Sure, the deal might be expensive, but Schaub is the best unproven commodity the team could have gone after. I would much rather have Schaub than Plummer, Garcia, Huard, Quinn, Kolb, Stanton, or any of the host of names that were thrown out there. I've watched Schaub play a couple times and while he isn't as athletic as Carr, I think he has what it takes upstairs to be a starting QB. Now, if the Texans offer him the same protection they have for Carr the last several years, we'll see similar results, but I am optimistic in that regard as well.

houstonhurricane

What concerns me the most is dropping from the 8th pick to 10. We lose Landry and any shot at Peterson falling...

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:39 PM
It feels like Saddam Hussein was toppled in here! Is there a statue to pull down of Carr?

Lets just not put up that "Mission Accomplished" banner yet.....we all know how that turned out.

hahahaha...best line of the day...

SESupergenius
you give up that much, schaub better not be competing with anybody.

After 2nd thought, I'd have to agree.

threetoedpete
if you dont agree with the deal, that is totally cool. i think it was too pricey myself (as presently detailed errr rumored). I just think we should all give this guy even half the patience we have ALL shown towards Carr. Just wait till the end of the 07 season to lay into Schaub. If you want to criticize the deal, fine. Just give the guy a few games before we start criticizing the player himself.

if you want the deal to fail to somehow show that it wasn't Carr's fault, then that would definitely make you less of a Texans fan. I don't think that is the case though, I think it was just how I perceived your words which were walking the line.

Agreed: I want be banging the guy for sure. I'm just angry over the "deal". Not the QB change. It'd be nice for once in our history if one of the block busters worked out for us. Maybe this is the one. So far they haven't.

It will show the function of the over all tallent...and the over evaluation of that tallent on this board as the flawed deal it was. You wanna say it was all DC...OK.

Wanna throw rocks...fine. We're going to see in spades the next three years. And as I've posted, it will be the same jokers as before who'll jump the shark, not me.

I've had my say....will see next who your usual suspects are.

Cupps
This whole ordeal stinks of Casserly...

Brandyon
This is a CRAP trade

How is Schaub worth more than a guy like Kevin Kolb, or any other mid draft QB? Because he has played in a few NFL games with mixed results? He has proved NOTHING! WTF?! Carr and 1 second round pick would be pushing it... maybe a second and 4th but 2 second round picks is total crap.

They are leaving open WAY to many "ifs." QB and RB are an the back of an expensive gamble, and promise from a broken down RB which we are paying millions hoping he still has gas in the tank.

I have nothing against the dude... I'd love to have him... but not for all we are supposedly giving up

michaelm

Man... you're the one that needs to work on his reading... what he said is exactly correct, and you were off by approximately two.

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
dont let the door hit you in your 17 posts arse....

goodbye and good riddance

You know what, this is uncalled for. You are acting like freaking 2 year old.

infantrycak
He has not done anything in college or the NFL. I would rather get a QB that has at least done something in college.

Sure he didn't:

One of the greatest quarterbacks in University of Virginia history, Matt Schaub finished his college career with at least 22 school records. He played in a record 40 games at the quarterback position and finished his career as one of the most accurate passers in Atlantic Coast Conference history (.670 career completion percentage). His Virginia statistics included school career records for yards passing (7502), touchdown passes (56), completions (716), attempts (1069), completion percentage (.670), 300-yard games (8), and 200-yard games (20).

Matt was the 2002 ACC Player of the Year, 2002 ACC Offensive Player of the Year and first-team All-State Virginia Sports Information Directors Association (VaSID) as a senior. Publicized in the 2003 preseason as a Heisman candidate, Schaub suffered a shoulder injury in the first game of the season and did not return for several games; therefore his overall numbers declined in his senior season. He was the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl and was twice selected to the All-ACC Academic Football Team.

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub)

Oh and good riddance.

Grid
Then why not wait until next year when the kid is an unrestricted free agent?

Swapping firsts and giving them 2 second rounders is way too steep of a price for him....

http://www.guildford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/71816AF0-0522-4975-84EA-6189B1FA0D8A/0/molehill.jpg

Wow, look at the size of that mountain.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
The announcer for the Falcons is about to be on 610

Anyways, we still have a chance to drop down and get a Nelson and picks and to get picks for Carr. It isn't like we are just giving up a boatload here. I'm amazed that I'm already seeing people wishing Schaub to fail and that the deal is a waste. Again, I think it always comes back to one person. Is there a compound in California?

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
So what they are saying is that Schaub is better than Quinn? Or that maybe we never really had a chance at getting Quinn and that since obviously out of here, they needed a QB better than Sage, which Schaub clearly is. Or are they bringing in Schaub to compete with Carr if no deal can be made with the Raiders

Sage is backing up Schaub. Carr will be playing in beautiful Oakland soon. News at 11.

ThaShark316
03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.guildford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/71816AF0-0522-4975-84EA-6189B1FA0D8A/0/molehill.jpg

bwahahahahahahhaahaha!

Exithios
Agreed: I want be banging the guy for sure. I'm just angry over the "deal". Not the QB change. It'd be nice for once in our history if one of the block busters worked out for us. Mybe this is the one. So far they haven't.

It will show the function of the over all tallent...and the over evaluation of that tallent on this baord as the flawed deal it was.
Wanna throw rocks...fine. We're going to see in spades the next three years. And as I've posted, it will be the same jokers as before who'll jump the shark, not me.

I've had my say....will see next who your the usual suspects are.

Wo TTP, I stopped after the first sentence. :joker:

Dunta_23
Falcons fans are having a good laugh over the robbery they pulled on Rick Smith & co.

Malloy
yay...you're in shape...and so you can memorize a playbook, throw a football 60 yards, can avoid a 260 pound guy going full speed at you, etc etc? I guess you can show up at the Texans training camp and end this QB search nonsense, where have you been, Rick and and Gary have been waiting for you...:)

I can get on the ground and cuddle up with the ball ?

Schaub is an upgrade over DC for sure.

Second Honeymoon
I love how everybody is just using the worst trade scenario. Between all the media outlets I don't think anybody knows what was involved in the trade...so untill we know for certian lets all take a shot of whiskey and pretend that we are working.

lawl

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM

:heh:

alphajoker
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Ha! That's exactly what I'm doing now.

Señor Stan
03-21-2007, 02:44 PM

Somebody needs to get workin' on a "shoe throwing smilie"

Mr. White
IMO, this is killing two birds with one stone.

2 2nd rounders for a QB with a shallow learning curve. (like Grid said)
Trading back in the first round...we were probably looking to do it anyway.

The Dream
this organization gets more and more stupid each day......here's to another 4 win season....

SESupergenius
I actually have no problem with Schaub, he's a decent QB but the media isn't going to like this because it's not VY!

So what does this say about Sage?

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Lame

I have the upmost respect for any athlete, but a QB that throws only 1 TD pass over his last 10 games........wait for it, here it comes.........can be replaced.

P.S.

The most brutal and most endurance demanding sports are

Boxing and.....

wait for it

wait for it

Swimming.......yeah I said it

I have the upmost respect for competitive swimmers and I'm sure we have a couple on this board

Second Honeymoon
You know what, this is uncalled for. You are acting like freaking 2 year old.

the guy was basically quitting as a Texans fan over a trade. he can go fly a kite for all I care....today is a day for optimism not pessimism or personal agendas

eriadoc
this organization gets more and more stupid each day......here's to another 4 win season....

I'll bet the over on that.

Malloy
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Hey, your visit to the Houston Texans message board can be considered a 'quickie' ! :)

Cupps
I want the record to show that while I am initially not fond of this move (overpaid for Schaub)... I do not want to be lumped in with the nay-sayers who are ready to call this entire season a failure based on this one move.

I go to school at UMiami, and sometimes the people on this board make our fans here at UM seems passable... which is sad, really. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and declaring the franchise for not. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

U4ikrob
I don't put a lot of stock in "a league source" or in John McClain's otherwise unsubstantiated muses.

I'm also surprised that fans are in love with Schaub given his stat line, and I suspect that people are really in love with "anybody but Carr." A first and a third is a sick price to pay but if we can in fact work out a three-way trade to take some of the sting off of that, then I'd be okay with it. But I can't say that I've really watched Schaub play much to this point so I don't need to comment any further.

Nod agree w/Jerek

I say No Deal

While Shaub has a little talent, its unproven and the likelihood that Kubiak will stake his 2nd year coaching and give up draft pix on another "project" QB a year after doing it with Carr does not sound appealing to me. While I dont know Kubiak I would think even he would say - its too much to give up on this deal to Smitty .

IMO the most likely scenario here is the Texans are cooking more stuff in the kitchen to see if they get any traders to come circle around the smell so to speak until the draft gets here and teams start spending. IMO the Texans will look to move Carr to anyone for a 3rd if they can get it or at min a fourth so they can trade it to the Bucs and get Plummer paid for. He allready knows the coach and system so coming inlate to camp wont be aprob and they can structure hisdeal to avoid the nasty contract probs before and give Kubes & Co his legit starting QB he wants.

Mark it down - Plummer to the Texans in 07

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Lame

I have the upmost respect for any athlete, but a QB that throws only 1 TD pass over his last 10 game........wait for it, here it comes.........can be replaced.

P.S.

Boxing and.....

wait for it

wait for it

I have the upmost respect for competitive swimmers and I'm sure we have a couple on this board

dont forget hockey....

bigbrewster2000
This is a CRAP trade

How is Schaub worth more than a guy like Kevin Kolb, or any other mid draft QB? Because he has played in a few NFL games with mixed results? He has proved NOTHING! WTF?! Carr and 1 second round pick would be pushing it... maybe a second and 4th but 2 second round picks is total crap.

They are leaving open WAY to many "ifs." QB and RB are an the back of an expensive gamble, and promise from a broken down RB which we are paying millions hoping he still has gas in the tank.

I have nothing against the dude... I'd love to have him... but not for all we are supposedly giving up

So you would rather have a totally unproven guy over a guy with 3 yrs of league experience? whatever man.

edo783
I'm fine with this trade. Anything to get better QB play is something I'm all for. Seems a bit expensive, but we should (hopefully) recoupe at least the value of the 08 second and probably more when/if we trade Carr. If we wind up at a net of swaping 1st and one second.....not a bad deal IMO.

On another note...do we think Landry will be available at 10? If not...whom?

Mr. White

That ship has sailed.

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
the guy was basically quitting as a Texans fan over a trade. he can go fly a kite for all I care....today is a day for optimism not pessimism or personal agendas

This girl just wants to yap his trap and about how all the woes of the Texans belong on #8. I've said all along that Sage wasn't the answer, and the Texans front office agrees apparently. Take that girlfriend.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey, your visit to the Houston Texans message board can be considered a 'quickie' ! :)

lawl

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Nod agree w/Jerek

I say No Deal

While Shaub has a little talent, its unproven and the likelihood that Kubiak will stake his 2nd year coaching and give up draft pix on another "project" QB a year after doing it with Carr does not sound appealing to me. While I dont know Kubiak I would think even he would say - its too much to give up on this deal to Smitty .

IMO the most likely scenario here is the Texans are cooking more stuff in the kitchen to see if they get any traders to come circle around the smell so to speak until the draft gets here and teams start spending. IMO the Texans will look to move Carr to anyone for a 3rd if they can get it or at min a fourth so they can trade it to the Bucs and get Plummer paid for. He allready knows the coach and system so coming inlate to camp wont be aprob and they can structure hisdeal to avoid the nasty contract probs before and give Kubes & Co his legit starting QB he wants.

If the deal falls through I've been saying this for weeks. Depends on this deal. But I think the whole retirement was based on not coming here and we didn't want to give up a 4th for him.

kiwitexansfan

Schaub won't make the team any worse.

Will he make it better?? Who knows.

Is he broken like Carr?? No, and that makes a big difference.

As much as anything else, I think the important question is... Will the other players believe in Schaub more than they did with Carr?? Confidence goes along way.

TheManTheMyth
Well you know that peterson is going to fall to the 8th pick now right, hell maybe even joe thomas or russell. That is just the way things usually work. it has to happen now so that even more people can have something to whine about.

Mr. White
This girl just wants to yap his trap and about how all the woes of the Texans belong on #8. I've said all along that Sage wasn't the answer, and the Texans front office agrees apparently. Take that girlfriend.

Carr's out. Get over it. Namecalling won't get him back for you.

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
dont forget hockey....

I like hockey, but being from texas this state denies it. I wanted to play hockey more than football, but once I got to high school there was no team. There are no real hockey leagues in houston.

Second Honeymoon

translation: my peepee hurts.

eriadoc
I'm fine with this trade. Anything to get better QB play is something I'm all for. Seems a bit expensive, but we should (hopefully) recoupe at least the value of the 08 second and probably more when/if we trade Carr. If we wind up at a net of swaping 1st and one second.....not a bad deal IMO.

On another note...do we think Landry will be available at 10? If not...whom?

Levi Brown, Laron Landry, Alan Branch, Amobi Okoye .... one of those guys will likely be there at #10 and be worth that pick.

Señor Stan
Nod agree w/Jerek

I say No Deal

Sincerely,

We are not really taking Mario Williams we are just trying to force Reggie Bush to sign before the draft.

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Dont let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. You think it is to high of a price fine, but to criticize a player before you see anything he has done is completely astounding.

Holds school career-records for pass completions (716), attempts (1,069), passing yards (7,502), total offense yards (7,560), touchdown passes (56), 300-yard passing games (8) and 200-yard passing games (20) at Virginia.
Heisman Trophy candidate in 2003 after being selected as the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year in 2002.
Completed 66.98% of his passes during his career, the second-best mark in NCAA Division 1A history topped only by Tim Couch of Kentucky (67.15%, 1996-98).

All-ACC first-team selection, adding ACC Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year honors, as a junior after leading the ACC in touchdown passes (28), pass completion percentage (68.9%), completions (288), and attempts (418). Ranked second in the country in completion percentage

His numbers in college were not that bad. He has not had the chance to start and like the Texans, the Falcons have so much invested in Vick they have to give him at least a year under Patrino. People bashing on this just does not make any sense to me.

Dunta_23
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Sincerely,

We are not really taking Mario Williams we are just trying to force Reggie Bush to sign before the draft.

Thats funny

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
translation: my peepee hurts.

Probably from sticking it in too many holes to see what sticks.

Weak.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 02:53 PM
The Falcons/Ga Tech announcer is on 610 right now and he said Schaub is a good guy and he thought the Falcons were trying to get more....he got me fired up about Calvin Johnson though..lol

Marcus
03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Good Take Grid, we will obviously get something for Carr and hopefully it will fill at least one of the 2nd round voids. Although this team still needs drafted talent.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Any thought of getting anything in a trade for Carr's contract . . . . is delusional at best.

After this deal today for Schaub, which basically announces with a bullhorn to the rest of the league that Carr is finished here . . . someone please tell me how they have any leverage for dealing Carr's contract.

Not gonna happen, IMO. If you don't prepare yourself for Carr's release, it's your own fault.

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Where are the Carr haters? You finally got what you wanted.We pass on Vince for Car.Now, We are giving up on Carr and going after Matty.How did it come to this?:confused:

GP
HOly crapola. It took me 25 minutes to read all the posts and catch up with everything. Had "Server Busy" about 10 times because the board's getting flooded.

Talk about exciting! I knew this day was coming. I was out in front, with some others, hoping that we would get Schaub.

I had taken verbal "beat downs" from several people saying that I have no proof that Schaub is the QB I think he is.

I'm in the same boat as Porky on this: I have watched Schaub play, albeit in the preseason, but I can say that he looked commanding in all phases of the game--He has the zip that Carr has (I don't buy the "He doesn't have a big league arm" stuff), he actually goes through his progressions very naturally and seems to know where the open man will be, and his mechanics are a lot better than Carr's.

To get an NFL-ready QB via swapping TWO spots in the first round, keeping us at a Top 10 draft pick status, and then losing a 2nd rounder is not bad. We were going to draft Kolb or Stanton and those guys would be gone by round 3...so we would have spent a 2nd round pick on a college QB who would need the 2-3 years that Schaub has already served in order to learn the ropes.

We will trade Carr and get some sort of pick for him. Even if it's a 4th rounder...that's still a "pick," and remember that we picked up Charles Spencer in the 3rd--I think this FO can now draft in rounds 1-5 and deserve our confidence based on last year's successes.

This was the SMART deal. Garcia had a fluke season. Plummer is on the downhill side of his career and only cares about himself to the point of sulking and "reitiring" because he didn't get to go where he wanted--That's a guy that you don't want leading your huddle, OK? Ramsey is the love child of Jay Fiedler and Heath Schuler.

Schaub, as did Tom Brady, has waited for his turn to start. Schaub, as did Tom Brady, has had to wait patiently behind overrated starters that stood on their paths to starterdom.

This gets the monkey (Carr and his baggage) off the Texans' back, and it gives the team a new identity and a fresh start. There was no way AJ was going to be a happy camper going into camp with DC at the controls. Ditto for Dunta. Ditto for the other guys who have been patient for the past 3 seasons or so. It was imperative that we moved DC and then to also acquire an NFL-ready QB to go into camp with.

Atlanta, IIRC, transitioned to a WCO and asked Vick to become the pocket passer. He did well for a few games, then he had to go "highlight reel" about midway through the season. Schaub; therefore, is already a little accustomed to the WCO. He showed, to me, that he can sit in the pocket and make fairly good "reads" and go through progressions with efficiency and effectiveness.

We don't have a lot of "real" NFL games to go by when it comes to judging Schaub. What we DO have to go on is this: We passed on Garcia, Plummer, and Ramsey when that whole circus began a few weeks ago--Our FO was patient, dropping out of the "arms race" as quickly as we had entered it. I speculated that we were dropping out because we wanted Schaub, and I speculated that we hadn't heard anything because the FO was in hyper-secretive and ultra-stealth mode trying to get the details worked out. I predicted a 3-way trade between Houston-Oakland-Tampa Bay whereby Carr would go to Oakland. I was off by one team (Tampa Bay)...and it appears that Atlanta and Oakland MIGHT be in the mix for Moss/Carr. That remains to be seen, though.

All I know is this: The price is definitely "right" to me, and if we can get Leach-Green-Dayne on the field this season, with Schaub at QB and AJ-Walter-Daniels-Mathis catching the ball, then we ought to be very excited about our offseason because we haven't even drafted with our Top 10 pick yet! We can grab a fairly good RB or WR or OT or DB and come out smelling pretty fancy for a change.

The FO just got ballsy, folks. I railed against the non-ballsiness of this FO, and now they have come through!

Great job, Rick.

Now if we can just ask people to be respectful of the Carr family I'd be even happier. They are headed into a new chapter in their lives, and they handled their tenure here pretty well when you consider what David had to go through and what we had to go through. It'd be nice if people would remain civil about this whole thing.

michaelm
OK, so let's get down to the nuts and bolts of the sitcheation (situation for the spell check police)...

What's Schaub's deep ball like?
Can he get the ball behind the LB's and in front of the secondary?
How's his pocket presence?
Does he lock onto his primary receiver?
Does anyone consider him a "pretty boy"? I hope not, because that has always been one of the best criticisms of Carr... <sarcasm>

These are some of the questions I'd like to see answered... except the hair thing, which again, was sarcasm...

Brandyon
So you would rather have a totally unproven guy over a guy with 3 yrs of league experience? whatever man.

3 years league experience, but what kind of experience does he have? If you mean 3 years under Vick and Mora, then yes, I would definately prefer a clean slate, and save 2 first day picks.

dirty steve
03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
The Falcons/Ga Tech announcer is on 610 right now and he said Schaub is a good guy and he thought the Falcons were trying to get more....he got me fired up about Calvin Johnson though..lol
i heard the same thing, he sounded a bit disappointed at the haul, even when vandermeer told him it was a two next year and not a 4th rounder.

infantrycak

An upgrade at QB results in less wins. Gotcha.

MATRIX
610 Am on the Jim Rome Show reports:

The deal would send Schaub to Houston for an exchange of picks in RD1 and our 2nd RD pick.

Also i was mentioned a deal with Oakland to get us yet another pick in the 1st. Rome said that would be a great deal. Seeing Carr has not lived up to top billing. Further, we would loose a 2nd RD pick but get another 1st. However, not one word on HOW they planned to get that extra 1st.

I don't want to rain on this, as the guy looks great when he has played. But, if we do it, and don't get back another 1st. Is it really worth it?

No, Carr isn't great by any stretch, but to trade all that for Schaub that Kubes can mold...and not get back a pick. Seems alittle much to me.

Now, IF we can trade whatever(I think Carr) to Oakland, and move back into the 1st or even get a 2nd back...PULL THE TRIGGER.

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 02:58 PM
It might be a bad trade when:

The other teams' forum is happy about it and makes quotes such as "Looks like Mckay cheated on his wife, is now openly bi-sexual.... after he bent over the Houston franchise"

Oh, and we just lost the Landry pick on the draft.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Probably from sticking it in too many holes to see what sticks.

Weak.

i am sorry. I forgot that you live in El Paso, let me explain. see there is this thing called a radio. it runs on this thing that we like to call electricity. It's kinda like the wheel or fire but a little more advanced......oh never mind....

Brandyon

The deal would send Schaub to Houston for an exchange of picks in RD1 and our 2nd RD pick.

Also i was mentioned a deal with Oakland to get us yet another pick in the 1st. Rome said that would be a great deal. Seeing Carr has not lived up to top billing. Further, we would loose a 2nd RD pick but get another 1st. However, not one word on HOW they planned to get that extra 1st.

I don't want to rain on this, as the guy looks great when he has played. But, if we do it, and don't get back another 1st. Is it really worth it?

No, Carr isn't great by any stretch, but to trade all that for Schaub that Kubes can mold...and not get back a pick. Seems alittle much to me.

Now, IF we can trade whatever(I think Carr) to Oakland, and move back into the 1st or even get a 2nd back...PULL THE TRIGGER.

that i wouldnt freak out about nearly as much as the second rounder for 2 years crap

keyfro
so the way the deal is slated we move down to the 10th pick...maybe still able to pick up laron landry...maybe not

we give up not only this years 2nd rounder but next years...and we have to work a deal out with matt schaub...a left handed QB which means now our LT position becomes our RT position...does the franchise think that much of eric winston...i do...but i wasn't sure they did

matt schaub has good size at 6'5'' and 237lbs...but a 52.2% comp. is that good and his 6 to 6 TD to INT ration isn't either...however his comp. % has gone up every year...career QB rating of 69.2

just to compare some of the stats:

carr comp % = 60/ td to int ratio = 59 to 65/ career QB rating = 75.5
schaub comp % = 52.2/ td to int ratio = 6 to 6/career QB rating = 69.2

the move shocks me since i didn't think rick smith and kubiak were ok with giving up picks but they not only give up one pick but two

not sure if i like the trade or hate it...leaning towards hating it

Mr teX
03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Any thought of getting anything in a trade for Carr's contract . . . . is delusional at best.

After this deal today for Schaub, which basically announces with a bullhorn to the rest of the league that Carr is finished here . . . someone please tell me how they have any leverage for dealing Carr's contract.

Not gonna happen, IMO. If you don't prepare yourself for Carr's release, it's your own fault.

What if DC restructures? Or will the NFL-PA let him do that?

U4ikrob
03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
That ship has sailed.

Hmmm - So far all ive heard is the rumor of Shaub signing with nothing confirmed. Anybody have some updates on this?

My hunch - So what happend to the papers not being signed. The Plummer deal to the Bucs and him retiring is a ruse to avoid bonus money with the broncos until we can trade Carr and get the 4th rndr we need to give the Bucs for Plummer's rights . He can unretire after the draft and june 2 cap cuts etc etc and sign a deal and avoid escalating bonus probs in his contract. - but its just a hunch mind you:lightbulb:

The season hasnt started yet! - i hear vague music and chants of - keep hope alive-

I still say Plummer to the Texans in 07 :wild:

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
i am sorry. I forgot that you live in El Paso, let me explain. see there is this thing called a radio. it runs on this thing that we like to call electricity. It's kinda like the wheel or fire but a little more advanced......oh never mind....

Come on guys!Atleast we know the franchise is doing something.

real
Nod agree w/Jerek

It's not too much to give up for a number of reasons.

How many "proven" back-ups are there in the leauge ? 1, 2 ? if that...

How many "proven' starters are there in the leauge? How much do you think it'd take to get a Matt Hasselback ?

More than what we gave up...

I think the price is a little steep, but not as steep as some of you are making it out to be...

fingers5
Taken from the Falcon message board:

why are the texans always the biggest suckers

MikeV7ck

View Member Profile Today, 02:52 PM Post #1

last year got mario williams,passed up on reggie bush,vince young,nick mangold,dbrickashaw ferguson,matt leinart,aj hawk,vernon davis, Not to say mario williams isnt a good pick BUT hes not an OVERALL NUMBER 1 PICK, and now if this deal goes through they are even bigger suckers than ever. Through this process got number 8 pick,39,44,2008 second round pick, freed up 2.3 cap space, and have a chance to get CJ ORRR......sadly pass up CJ and get another player to help our defense *yawn*

dirty steve
It might be a bad trade when:

The other teams' forum is happy about it and makes quotes such as "Looks like Mckay cheated on his wife, is now openly bi-sexual.... after he bent over the Houston franchise"

Oh, and we just lost the Landry pick on the draft.
their forum has a bunch of blowhards in some respects just like this forum does. that falcons radio guy thinks they should have tried to move up a little bit more. hopefully schaub sticks it to them when we go to ATL in 2007.

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
so the way the deal is slated we move down to the 10th pick...maybe still able to pick up laron landry...maybe not

we give up not only this years 2nd rounder but next years...and we have to work a deal out with matt schaub...a left handed QB which means now our LT position becomes our RT position...does the franchise think that much of eric winston...i do...but i wasn't sure they did

matt schaub has good size at 6'5'' and 237lbs...but a 52.2% comp. is that good and his 6 to 6 TD to INT ration isn't either...however his comp. % has gone up every year...career QB rating of 69.2

just to compare some of the stats:

carr comp % = 60/ td to int ratio = 59 to 65/ career QB rating = 75.5
schaub comp % = 52.2/ td to int ratio = 6 to 6/career QB rating = 69.2

the move shocks me since i didn't think rick smith and kubiak were ok with giving up picks but they not only give up one pick but two

not sure if i like the trade or hate it...leaning towards hating it

Sample size for Schaub isn't a very good stat to compare against a starter..

Blu
03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm alright with the move.

:bigboss:
starting to see why ppl around the nation think our fan base is crap... you guys are so wishy washy!

AtheGreat
03-21-2007, 03:03 PM

yeah, oakland still owes us that 2nd rounder they jacked from us for Pburnt.

but, since Rick Smith keeps saying its all about more picks, expect to see something go down to get some of those picks back. keep the faith.

TexansLucky13
03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
An upgrade at QB results in less wins. Gotcha.

Depends on what your definition of an upgrade is, I guess. On one hand you have a guy who has started two games and lost both of them, and has been a quality backup for the entirety of his pro career. On the other, you have a guy who has started for five years with a team. Gotcha.

Don't get me wrong, though. I like Schaub. I have always talked good about him and I am happy to see him coming to town now. That said, I am not going to jump off the boat and say things that I have no proof of.

Some people say that we have kept Carr here on speculation and potential. Well what do you call this Schaub acquisition??

Carr haters be damned.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 03:04 PM

That's what you get for buying into John McClain and his assurances that we were not going to trade picks.

texasguy346
03-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't like the deal as it's being reported. Swapping first round picks, then sending a 2007 2nd round pick as well as a 2008 2nd round pick. That seems like too much for an unproven player. If true, once we acquire him Carr's value is even less than it was before. Teams will know that we're going to have to either deal Carr or release him. We lose almost all leverage in any trade scenario. Since nothing is official I'll sit back & watch how things play out.

HoustonFrog
Where are the Carr haters? You finally got what you wanted.We pass on Vince for Car.Now, We are giving up on Carr and going after Matty.How did it come to this?:confused:

I'm still wondering why wanting a new QB makes me a hater, what it has to do with VY right now and why getting a top FA QB is bad?

Mr. White
I watched Schaub play against Philly. Vick was stinking it up and got pulled for a series because he he broke a nail or something. The Eagles had his number and were shutting him down.

Enter Matt Schaub....the ball starts moving down the field....first downs are getting made...and it turned out that their "crappy" receivers could actually catch the ball.

The next series...Vick comes back in and gets shut down again.

From what I've seen, he's a damn good QB. It's pretty obvious that the people that are down on him haven't seen him play.

GP
If the deal falls through I've been saying this for weeks. Depends on this deal. But I think the whole retirement was based on not coming here and we didn't want to give up a 4th for him.

Yeah, Kubiak went against his tendency THIS TIME by passing on Plummer.

Plummer was a "stop gap" QB for the Broncos, in a time when they needed a gritty player to salvage their team's QB woes.

He peeked and has now settled back down into the level of journeyman QB that he is going to stay at. Tampa picked him up as insurance if Garcia is hurt, and they can trade him if he decides to stop being a Nancy and can get his act together.

U4ikrob is setting himself up for disappointment if he logs onto the internet each day just "knowing" that he'll see his "Plummer To Houston!" headline that he's predicting.

This was a mega deal. Perhaps the biggest deal of the offseason for ANY team thus far. This will have ESPN, NFLN, FOXsports, and every other media outlet clammoring with buzz and topical stories for about two weeks or so.

If any of you are ready to see the Texans get primetime mention, then saddle up and hit "record" on every sports show from now until about this time next week.

DomDavis
First of all, anyone who thinks there's a chance at Calvin Johnson at pick 8 is a complete *****. I'll never post on this message board again if that happens.

Second, fans from another team like a trade where they acquire a couple of draft picks for a guy who isn't playing for them? No... no way. That wouldn't compromise their objectivity at all.

Second Honeymoon
Great job, Rick.

Now if we can just ask people to be respectful of the Carr family I'd be even happier. They are headed into a new chapter in their lives, and they handled their tenure here pretty well when you consider what David had to go through and what we had to go through. It'd be nice if people would remain civil about this whole thing.

I don't see anyone taking shots at Carr since this trade became official. If anything, we are coming to the defense of Schaub and to a lesser extent the deal itself from all the Carr homers and naysayers.

No one wants Carr to fail. No one wants ill to come up him. I wish him the best as long its not in the AFC. If he does indeed get moved to the Raiders, I hope he sucks it up. Not because he is Carr but because he is in AFC and thus 'the competition'. It isnt about the players in the NFL, its all about the team or 'program'.

I wish Carr and his family the best off the field unequivocally. On the field, it depends if he goes NFC or AFC. easy as that.

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 03:06 PM
we are coming to the defense of Schaub and to a lesser extent the deal itself from all the Carr homers and naysayers..
You have to, you get your wish. This is what you all want. This is your call.

Cjeremy635
03-21-2007, 03:06 PM
HOly crapola. It took me 25 minutes to read all the posts and catch up with everything. Had "Server Busy" about 10 times because the board's getting flooded.

Talk about exciting! I knew this day was coming. I was out in front, with some others, hoping that we would get Schaub.

I had taken verbal "beat downs" from several people saying that I have no proof that Schaub is the QB I think he is.

I'm in the same boat as Porky on this: I have watched Schaub play, albeit in the preseason, but I can say that he looked commanding in all phases of the game--He has the zip that Carr has (I don't buy the "He doesn't have a big league arm" stuff), he actually goes through his progressions very naturally and seems to know where the open man will be, and his mechanics are a lot better than Carr's.

To get an NFL-ready QB via swapping TWO spots in the first round, keeping us at a Top 10 draft pick status, and then losing a 2nd rounder is not bad. We were going to draft Kolb or Stanton and those guys would be gone by round 3...so we would have spent a 2nd round pick on a college QB who would need the 2-3 years that Schaub has already served in order to learn the ropes.

We will trade Carr and get some sort of pick for him. Even if it's a 4th rounder...that's still a "pick," and remember that we picked up Charles Spencer in the 3rd--I think this FO can now draft in rounds 1-5 and deserve our confidence based on last year's successes.

This was the SMART deal. Garcia had a fluke season. Plummer is on the downhill side of his career and only cares about himself to the point of sulking and "reitiring" because he didn't get to go where he wanted--That's a guy that you don't want leading your huddle, OK? Ramsey is the love child of Jay Fiedler and Heath Schuler.

Schaub, as did Tom Brady, has waited for his turn to start. Schaub, as did Tom Brady, has had to wait patiently behind overrated starters that stood on their paths to starterdom.

This gets the monkey (Carr and his baggage) off the Texans' back, and it gives the team a new identity and a fresh start. There was no way AJ was going to be a happy camper going into camp with DC at the controls. Ditto for Dunta. Ditto for the other guys who have been patient for the past 3 seasons or so. It was imperative that we moved DC and then to also acquire an NFL-ready QB to go into camp with.

Atlanta, IIRC, transitioned to a WCO and asked Vick to become the pocket passer. He did well for a few games, then he had to go "highlight reel" about midway through the season. Schaub; therefore, is already a little accustomed to the WCO. He showed, to me, that he can sit in the pocket and make fairly good "reads" and go through progressions with efficiency and effectiveness.

We don't have a lot of "real" NFL games to go by when it comes to judging Schaub. What we DO have to go on is this: We passed on Garcia, Plummer, and Ramsey when that whole circus began a few weeks ago--Our FO was patient, dropping out of the "arms race" as quickly as we had entered it. I speculated that we were dropping out because we wanted Schaub, and I speculated that we hadn't heard anything because the FO was in hyper-secretive and ultra-stealth mode trying to get the details worked out. I predicted a 3-way trade between Houston-Oakland-Tampa Bay whereby Carr would go to Oakland. I was off by one team (Tampa Bay)...and it appears that Atlanta and Oakland MIGHT be in the mix for Moss/Carr. That remains to be seen, though.

All I know is this: The price is definitely "right" to me, and if we can get Leach-Green-Dayne on the field this season, with Schaub at QB and AJ-Walter-Daniels-Mathis catching the ball, then we ought to be very excited about our offseason because we haven't even drafted with our Top 10 pick yet! We can grab a fairly good RB or WR or OT or DB and come out smelling pretty fancy for a change.

The FO just got ballsy, folks. I railed against the non-ballsiness of this FO, and now they have come through!

Great job, Rick.

Great post....one of the best I've read all day!

afcman
03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Ah yes....the C & C years......OVER, BABY!

Oh, and this Vick guy.....has done WHAT? After years of ESPN and other talking heads kissin' his fanny......whatever.......

:yahoo:

fingers5
03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
First of all, anyone who thinks there's a chance at Calvin Johnson at pick 8 is a complete *****. I'll never post on this message board again if that happens.

Second, fans from another team like a trade where they acquire a couple of draft picks for a guy who isn't playing for them? No... no way. That wouldn't compromise their objectivity at all.

I doubt if intends to mean they can get C.J. at 8, but now they have the extra picks a team would need to be able to move up to be in a spot to get him.:lightbulb:

potisyourfriend
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
some reason posted in the wrong thread..

El Amigo Invisible
I'm still wondering why wanting a new QB makes me a hater, what it has to do with VY right now and why getting a top FA QB is bad?

Personally, I think we are giving up too much for this guy.For a Carr hater, this news should make you very happy and all I am seeing is negative comments.Speak up!

Skrobes66

It is not only this trade that frustrates me. It is a series of bad moves:
the expansion draft - Not Picking Roaf, Picking Boselli
the first draft - picking Gaffney and Pitts over Portis
Trading for P Buchanon and releasing him
Trading up for Babin
Picking Joppru in the 2nd
Cutting Sharper and Glenn (Vets and Leaders)
Picking travis johnson over Jamal Brown and Derrick Johnson
Making Carr a scape goat
Signing Robaire Smith and the other RT to big dollars only to release them
Then last year with Vince and Reggie Bush
And now this trade

In fact, I will turn optimistic. The Texans have made these good moves:

Drafting Dom Davis* Bad Luck
Drafting AJ
Drafting Robinson
Drafting Ryans
Drafting Spencer* Bad luck

This is a short list. I hope they turn it around. But they wont with these types of deals.

Marcus
What if DC restructures? Or will the NFL-PA let him do that?

If he was willing to restructure, he would have been traded already.

Playmaker
Lame

I have the upmost respect for any athlete, but a QB that throws only 1 TD pass over his last 10 game........wait for it, here it comes.........can be replaced.

P.S.

Boxing and.....

wait for it

wait for it

For a second there I thought you were going to say..."wait for it, here it comes"...ballet :)

So what next...you want to extoll the rigorous demands of the 100 meter butterfly stroke? Is there a poster of Michael Phelps on your wall?

I guess we can go back to the thread since everyone here knows now you are...wait for it, wait for it...Mr. (Almost) Olympian....:)

michael123
great pick up texans.... I always tought Matt was going to take over for vick i guess he took over for another 1st rounder :) :yahoo:

dirty steve
No one wants Carr to fail. No one wants ill to come up him. I wish him the best as long its not in the AFC. If he does indeed get moved to the Raiders, I hope he sucks it up. Not because he is Carr but because he is in AFC and thus 'the competition'. It isnt about the players in the NFL, its all about the team or 'program'.

I wish Carr and his family the best off the field unequivocally. On the field, it depends if he goes NFC or AFC. easy as that.
that's what i dont get. if you want him gone so bad, why would it matter if he went to the AFC or NFC? are you afraid he is going to come back and haunt us or something?

bigbrewster2000
03-21-2007, 03:10 PM
3 years league experience, but what kind of experience does he have? If you mean 3 years under Vick and Mora, then yes, I would definately prefer a clean slate, and save 2 first day picks.

For a system QB no thank you. Shaub sure seems to fit what Kubiak wants.

The Pencil Neck
Matthew Rutledge Schaub (pronounced sch-aob) (born June 25, 1981 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is an American football quarterback who is currently a quarterback for the Houston Texans. He played quarterback at West Chester East High School, and he went on to attend The University of Virginia where he owns virtually every school passing record.

Schaub was drafted by the Falcons with the 90th overall choice in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub
Check this out. Its already in Wikipedia !

Now, that's just ridiculous.

Vinny
that's what i dont get. if you want him gone so bad, why would it matter if he went to the AFC or NFC? are you afraid he is going to come back and haunt us or something?You don't like it when he says something you don't agree with and now you don't like it when he says something kind....give it a rest.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Kubiak went against his tendency THIS TIME by passing on Plummer.

Plummer was a "stop gap" QB for the Broncos, in a time when they needed a gritty player to salvage their team's QB woes.

He peeked and has now settled back down into the level of journeyman QB that he is going to stay at. Tampa picked him up as insurance if Garcia is hurt, and they can trade him if he decides to stop being a Nancy and can get his act together.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you log onto the internet each day just "knowing" that you'll see your "Plummer To Houston!" headline that you're predicting.

This was a mega deal. Perhaps the biggest deal of the offseason for ANY team thus far. This will have ESPN, NFLN, FOXsports, and every other media outlet clammoring with buzz and topical stories for about two weeks or so.

If any of you are ready to see the Texans get primetime mention, then saddle up and hit "record" on every sports show from now until about this time next week.

Let me explain myself. I never said I wanted Plummer here or he was the man. I explained that the Texans didn't want to give up a 4th. I had heard Plummer really wanted to play under Kubes again. TB has a dearth of QBs. Plummer is disappointed and retires. So my conclusion was that if we didn't bring in anyone else and the coaching staff still wanted a vet, they would get a pick acquired through the draft, and use it to acquire his rights. I'm in no way saying I want it happening. Just that if we were stuck, I thought we might go that way. I'm much happier with this.

Dr. Toro
03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Great move. Mobile enough to run the system. Good enough to get people excited and move on. AP is out of the picture now.

dirty steve
You don't like it when he says something you don't agree with and now you don't like it when he says something kind....give it a rest.
that's not what i am trying to say. i just dont understand why it would matter or not where he went if your opinion is if you want him gone anyway.

kcwilson
It wouldn't surprise me at all to think that Kubiak and Smith were familiar with Schaub out of college when with the Broncos. I am sure at some point they were evaluating QB talent to groom behind Plummer. I bet that Rick Smith in Denver last year was involved in evaluating talent in backup roles before the team decided on Cutler.

I don't think they make such a drastic move with two picks and a flop on a guy they aren't familiar with.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hey Vinny, ESPN just posted your favorite stat about Carr throwing only 2 TDs in his last 10 starts. lol

michaelm
03-21-2007, 03:14 PM

You seem to like cracking jokes about El Paso having no electricity...
You realize this doesn't make you look like the intelligent person in that conversation, right?

For instance, the guy you're trying to insult with the whole electricity thing? Well, I hate to break it to you, but he is communicationg with you from El Paso via Internet...
You see where I'm going with this???

. <<< connect that one ----- with that one >>> .

Yes, the Internet requires electricity! You get a gold star.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2007, 03:14 PM
See i agree with you but i still dont feel someone even if playing behind vick is worth two 2nd round picks and a swap of our first. hes a backup for crying out loud, but i will give him a chance just feel bad for the guy cause my expectations for him are going to be very high, haha.

All you have to do is expect him to play better than Carr did.

That's not very high expectation-wise.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Personally, I think we are giving up too much for this guy.For a Carr hater, this news should make you very happy and all I am seeing is negative comments.Speak up!

Again, I've got all the respect in the world for Carr as a person. I didn't think he got the job done as the QB here. I never "hated" him. You do understand that you can show football savvy and intelligence without being so black and white. I've said all along that it would be a win/win if he went somewhere else. I'm amazed that there are people out there that are so oblivious that what is going on around them concerning how people feel on this issue.

humbleone
03-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, let's look at the deal from both sides. Atlanta moves up from 10 to 8, giving them a shot at Landry (best defensive player in the draft) and possibly even AP (if the Browns pass on him). They get our second round this year which they can use to get a WR like Davis etc... and they get our 2nd next year. Texans get the Atlanta backup QB.

I am one of the biggest homers, drink the koolaid guys on this MB but honestly, which side of this deal would anyone rather have?

Like someone said, if we liked the kid this much, in 12 months you could have add him for just dollars not picks. And, oh btw, so much Smith for we don't want to give up picks, we want more picks.

This better have another shoe to drop pay off (Oakland etc...) to it that we can't see yet or this is much worse than the P-Buc deal.

DRAMA
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Will Schaub Wear Number 8???

Texans34Life
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I am so glad that McNair has finally hired the right personnel and the right coach to turn this team around.

I know Schaub is still and will be a work in progress, but Kubiak is the man for the job to groom him into the future of the Texans.

Thank goodness we don't have to deal anymore w/ Carr and this team can move on from being labeled an expansion team by the NFL.

:yahoo: :snobord: :superman:

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Will Schaub Wear Number 8???

HA HA HA ! How about Number #1???? Luv ya Blue!

infantrycak
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Need to take this one off your list. The NFL made New Orleans take Roaf off the expansion draft list after a physical. He was then traded to KC.

GP
03-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't see anyone taking shots at Carr since this trade became official. If anything, we are coming to the defense of Schaub and to a lesser extent the deal itself from all the Carr homers and naysayers.

I've read ALL the posts in this thread, and you are not the one I am speaking of. In fact, I am not referring to anyone at this moment.

It was a preemptive strike against some here, probably the ones who haven't been on the boards as long as we have, who might get amped up on adrenaline and think they can kick a guy (DC) on his way out.

I personally desire to see my fellow Texans give David Carr and his family a good "sending off."

I am excited about this transition. Schaub's the guy I wanted, so I am definitely excited and stoked. I just hope a lot of people here do not lose their cool and make sniping rermarks on DC's exit from our team.

He is a "class guy," which about 99% of us here have always stated. Just hoping we all treat him the same class on his way out. So far, so good. And I'm not the board "police" or anything...it's just what I hope for.

Anguyen
Another backup with limited NFL experience. What is your thought on Schaub, could he be Steve Young or Cody Carlson?

Carr Bombed
For a second there I thought you were going to say..."wait for it, here it comes"...ballet :)

So what next...you want to extoll the rigorous demands of the 100 meter butterfly stroke? Is there a poster of Michael Phelps on your wall?

I guess we can go back to the thread since everyone here knows now you are...wait for it, wait for it...Mr. (Almost) Olympian....:)

Wow how long did it take for you to come up with this pathetic comeback? ballet.......give me a break.

You said I couldn't go from my chair to the fridge without breaking a swet.......I proved overwise. Now you are looking stupid, because your hero Mr. Carr didn't cut it in the NFL.

P.S.
I might be Mr. (almost) Olympian (because of one guy's jaw that broke my hand), but your Mr. (never did crap)......

Vinny
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Ok, let's look at the deal from both sides. Atlanta moves up from 10 to 8, giving them a shot at Landry (best defensive player in the draft) and possibly even AP (if the Browns pass on him). They get our second round this year which they can use to get a WR like Davis etc... and they get our 2nd next year. Texans get the Atlanta backup QB.

I am one of the biggest homers, drink the koolaid guys on this MB but honestly, which side of this deal would anyone rather have?I'd rather be the team with two good QB's than the team with no real viable starter at QB and a draft bust hitting the cap at 9 mil a year. That said, I welcome the deal because we have just put an end to our QB situation. Time to move Carr and move on.

sleepwalker
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
This move is good for everyone...Now we can move on...I'm just curious, do we have to still pay out Carr's contract?

Skrobes66
03-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Need to take this one off your list. The NFL made New Orleans take Roaf off the expansion draft list after a physical. He was then traded to KC.

He was traded for a 3rd rd pick I believe and he led the way for Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. I think he was selected to the pro bowl for the chiefs.

Second Honeymoon
Trading up for Babin
Making Carr a scape goat
And now this trade

Drafting AJ
Drafting Robinson
Drafting Ryans

This is a short list. I hope they turn it around. But they wont with these types of deals.

dude, ill be the first to say that we have had a tough go at it. teams have to turn the page and sometimes its costly. i think this trade was too expensive (as currently reported) for sure. no doubt. but lets just see what the reward is. We are still going to get the player we want at #10. Landry, Branch, Hall, or Nelson will be there at #10. Any of those guys could come in and help our defense out from Day One.

Think of it as if we are drafting Schaub in the 2nd round and giving the Falcons a 2nd Round pick as a tip :) Use Casserley logic. I don't know what to tell you. Just try and let things fall and see what happens this season and at the June cap casualty date (Carr's fate)

afcman
Man, I'm so excited! It's like the first season all over again. If nothing else it shows that Kubiak is willing to make major moves.

BTW, it's great to hear some Texans talk on Sirius. :)

:yahoo:

Speedy
03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Let the Schaub threads begin.:)

Hervoyel
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm excited about seeing Schuab here but I do have some reservations about what this trade costs. The pair of 2's really seems a bit much. I could have dealt with the swap and "a" 2 and thought that deal fair.

What still remains to be seen is whether or not the Texans can get anything for David Carr. I find it hard to imagine that many teams will be willing to part with picks or players when they know he's not going to be on our team next year.

I think most of the GM's with any interest in Carr will expect him to shake loose before the start of the season (and probably before training camp) so they'll wait on a chance to sign him as a free agent when that happens.

Finally some of you guys really need to stay on topic and leave the personal attacks out of the conversation. That kind of junk leads to nothing but you sitting in the "__________ needs to be quiet for a while" box.

Talk football and leave the insults out of it. There is an ignore feature on this board and I recommend it highly.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM

It appears that Kubiak and Smith agreed with us ABC'ers about Carr's performance last season. I think this FO is making the right moves to build a winning franchise. But the proof will be in the pudding. Let's see what we're saying this time next year and the year after.

I've always thought that Schaub should be starting instead of Vick but Mora's hands were tied with Vick's big contract. I think this is a definite upgrade of the QB position for the Texans.

afcman
03-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Man this freakin' board is going crazy! My previous post was supposed to go to another thread and it ended up here. :confused:

Topher
I just woke up in a very good mood! This is a great move!:yahoo:

bigbrewster2000
He was traded for a 3rd rd pick I believe and he led the way for Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. I think he was selected to the pro bowl for the chiefs.

Again we were not allowed to take him due to him failing a physical so you can take that one off your list. And almost every huge mistake was made by the former regime. So get over it, get behind this team and hope for the best.

GP
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Let me explain myself. I never said I wanted Plummer here or he was the man. I explained that the Texans didn't want to give up a 4th. I had heard Plummer really wanted to play under Kubes again. TB has a dearth of QBs. Plummer is disappointed and retires. So my conclusion was that if we didn't bring in anyone else and the coaching staff still wanted a vet, they would get a pick acquired through the draft, and use it to acquire his rights. I'm in no way saying I want it happening. Just that if we were stuck, I thought we might go that way. I'm much happier with this.

Frog,

I went back and edited my post. I quoted you, not realizing that it was u4ikrob who made that statement about thinking that Plummer is coming here.

My bad. I had hoped I cuaght it in time. Sorry 'bout that.

afcman
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Man the mods are 'moving' several threads that I think go with the Bullpen. Crazy stuff going on here. :confused:

Specnatz
03-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Trading up for Babin
Making Carr a scape goat
And now this trade

Drafting AJ
Drafting Robinson
Drafting Ryans

You do understand that Casserly and the ones who made most of those blunders are gone? This is a new GM and coach and so far it seems they know what they are doing. But if you want to keep living in the past go for it, hope it works out for you.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
that's not what i am trying to say. i just dont understand why it would matter or not where he went if your opinion is if you want him gone anyway.

you don't get it. If he is QBing in the AFC as a starter, I don't want him to do well. That is because Oakland or any other AFC team is competing for the same playoff spots as the Texans. If he does well, then less likely for Texans to make playoffs...yada yada yada...maybe overthinking..sure..but its just how I look at sports and playoffs

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
You seem to like cracking jokes about El Paso having no electricity...
You realize this doesn't make you look like the intelligent person in that conversation, right?

For instance, the guy you're trying to insult with the whole electricity thing? Well, I hate to break it to you, but he is communicationg with you from El Paso via Internet...
You see where I'm going with this???

. <<< connect that one ----- with that one >>> .

Yes, the Internet requires electricity! You get a gold star.

irony...look into it

(well at least the thread continues to grow at a Moulds thread like pace)

SESupergenius
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I just want to know what are they going to do for Schaub. The QB position still doesn't have enough around it to be successful. I am not going to fault Schaub when he doesn't do good because I still contend that the pass blocking unit is not very good.

Playmaker
Wow how long did it take for you to come up with this pathetic comeback? ballet.......give me a break.

You said I couldn't go from my chair to the fridge without breaking a swet.......I proved overwise. Now you are looking stupid, because your hero Mr. Carr didn't cut it in the NFL.

P.S.
I might be Mr. (almost) Olympian (because of one guy's jaw that broke my hand), but your Mr. (never did crap)......

Whoever said I was backing Carr? I was justing implying that you were talking out of your arse saying you could do better...no need to get in a tizzy...

Because I'm willing to bet you aren't making an NFL team anytime soon...much less the Texans...or you want that your next heroic feat? Give us an update and create a thread about it...

You said I couldn't go from my chair to the fridge without breaking a swet.......I proved overwise.I dunno man...you talk big words but...lol

Note to self...forgot that people take themselves too seriously sometimes

TexanFan881
Lets look at it this way.

- We can still get Landry at 10. That part is no issue at all.

- Even if Landry is gone (maybe that's the reason Atlanta wanted to swap?!?) we can still get a solid player (We got Dunta at 10 a few years ago)

- Just look at us like instead of using a second round pick on a QB (Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb, etc...) we spend the pick on Schuab.

- I'm a little nervous about giving up next year's second rounder, but if we win games this year that will be good enough.

- Our staff knows what it's doing. They're the first one's yet with us that have noticed that Carr is not the answer for us. And they've done something about it.

I'm pumped. I think we have the talent to play some good football, and at one position we were especially weak we have found our fix. If giving up two second rounders means we will win more next year, I'm all for it. It's obvious that having Carr as our QB was not getting us anywhere. Maybe we can get a second rounder next year for Carr?

Porky
03-21-2007, 03:34 PM
They are loving this deal on the Falcons message board! I can't say that dusgaree with them. We are yet again the laughing stock of the league. We gave up way too much for this guy.

WHY CAN"T THIS TEAM JUST BE PATIENT AND KEEP OUR 2nd ROUND PICKS

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, because we all know that every 2nd round pick we have made has been an all-pro. Good point yas got there.

HoustonFrog
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Frog,

I went back and edited my post. I quoted you, not realizing that it was u4ikrob who made that statement about thinking that Plummer is coming here.

No problem. Since I commented on it myself, I just wanted to clear up my stance. Thanks man.

rmartin65
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
If AP would drop to 8, he should still be there at 10. The Falcons dont need another RB. The Fish sure dont need one. But the big thing is if he will last that long with trades and stuff.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I've read ALL the posts in this thread, and you are not the one I am speaking of. In fact, I am not referring to anyone at this moment.

It was a preemptive strike against some here, probably the ones who haven't been on the boards as long as we have, who might get amped up on adrenaline and think they can kick a guy (DC) on his way out.

I personally desire to see my fellow Texans give David Carr and his family a good "sending off."

I am excited about this transition. Schaub's the guy I wanted, so I am definitely excited and stoked. I just hope a lot of people here do not lose their cool and make sniping rermarks on DC's exit from our team.

He is a "class guy," which about 99% of us here have always stated. Just hoping we all treat him the same class on his way out. So far, so good. And I'm not the board "police" or anything...it's just what I hope for.

well i think you will find that he (Carr) isn't being kicked around very much at all. After all, he IS still on our team. for all we know we traded for Schaub to trade to Oakland...who knows. until I see McNair shaking Schaub's hand at a press conference, you really never know.

4Texans
03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
If AP would drop to 8, he should still be there at 10. The Falcons dont need another RB. The Fish sure dont need one. But the big thing is if he will last that long with trades and stuff.

The fish would like a QB, this may make them trade up for Quinn.?.?.?.?.

O.G.
Another backup with limited NFL experience. What is your thought on Schaub, could he be Steve Young or Cody Carlson?

Don't forget Jake Deloach

JAXwithanX
Can anyone post the gist of what the Green ESPN Insider article says? I forgot to renew my account and mine isn't activated again yet.

humbleone
03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I'd rather be the team with two good QB's than the team with no real viable starter at QB and a draft bust hitting the cap at 9 mil a year. That said, I welcome the deal because we have just put an end to our QB situation. Time to move Carr and move on.

Too much value paid V regardless of how strongly one feels about Carr IMO. We will see how much it cost us next month.

Texian
03-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Has anybody stopped to think that the (2) 2nd RD picks traded was enough ammo to move and get Peterson or Quinn?

Sco-tai
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
i just dont understand why it would matter or not where he went if your opinion is if you want him gone anyway.

Dirty Steve....let me explain.

Although an NFL player is the ELITE athlete/skilled-talent in his sport (football)...they are each competing against players of very similar physical and skill-set caliber.
Because of this similar level of physical ability throughout each division and team (known as parity), sometimes the WINNING team is the team most mentally prepared.
It has been found that humans are more likely to perform to the height of their ability when they are mentally prepared. More to the point, when a human has personal motivation (i.e. – something to prove), that person is more likely to give it more effort as opposed to normal situations where there isn’t that personal motivation (i.e. – any team/fan-base that DIDN’T dump him, or pour beer on his wife).

You might recall people worried on this board that Vince Young went to our division rival (Tennessee). This worry is because it is widely known and understood that Vince Young grew up in Houston. Vince Young has a lot of family, friends, former coaches and teammates that still live in Houston. Vince Young very well could have been the #1 pick in the draft had the TEXANS felt he was our best option at that point in time. These are ALL reasons that Vince Young could use as personal motivation.

Now connect the dots from the given example, and see if you can think of 1, 2 or A MILLION reasons why Carr would DEFINITELY have personal motivation to prove something each time he plays the TEXANS (especially when those in our AFC South division play us TWICE a year).

If that still doesn’t help, then just think of your reaction to when you see a girl you used to talk to. You’re out shooting hoops, just messing around. But when you see her watching you play….you try a little harder…and next thing you know…You’re making shots you might not have if she wasn’t there or if you were just messing around.

Got it?

:wheel:

rmartin65
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
The fish would like a QB, this may make them trade up for Quinn.?.?.?.?.

That sounds possible. If the Raiders take a Quarterback then they would have to trade up the Lions because I think the Browns want a QB as well. And then the Lions are'nt in much need for a runningback either.

tiger06
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I really like this move. The price seems a bit steep at first glance, but it's worth it in my opinion to get Carr out and start moving forward again. I've always liked Schaub and think he has all the tools to be a successful quarterback. Good move, texans :dance2:

JamesC
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I know we need help at the QB position but I'm not too excited about giving up a 2nd round pick.

kcwilson
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Can anyone post the gist of what the Green ESPN Insider article says? I forgot to renew my account and mine isn't activated again yet.

Originally, he was slapping the Texans around saying they made moves but only for fringe starters (Black and Barber). They really weren't improved despite the changes. IN particular, he was lashing out at the team for not resolving the Qb situation and made a reference to Plummer.

Now he is talking about how Schaub addresses the situation of getting Carr out after shopping him most of the off-season, but questions Schaub leadership and his track record with little PT.

lastly, he thinks the trade can benefit both teams, but is reserving judgement with regards to the Texans until after the draft and seeing Schaub perform.

Second Honeymoon
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
still nothing from the Texans on this....after all, it is contingent on the Texans being able to work out a contract with the Texans.

i hope the deal ends up being a little more pallatable but remember that we got a 25 year old top NFL QB prospect. He is mobile and has shown the ability to move the chains. You know the guy is hungry for a chance to play. He also seems like a high character guy who has handled his apprenticeship in Atlanta with a professional demeanor and has never added any drama to the QB drama in Atlanta. That would lead me to believe that he thinks about the team first and his personal agenda second. He knew that if he just stayed the course he would get his chance. And it looks like he is getting exactly that.

I wish Schaub the very best if he indeed becomes our QB. No doubt about it.

Let the Schaub Era begin!!

GP
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
The bad moves are the ones where we trade UP from the 2nd round into the 1st round to get Jason Babin.

There was a time when our HC and GM would fall in love with a "potential player" who might not be there unless we made some drastic move.

IIRC, we had even traded with TENNESSEE, the most evil of all evil in the NFL, to get the marvelous Jason Babin who was worth moving up for.

Isn't all that information correct? Didn't we move from the 2nd back into the very late 1st to get Babin? Or was it moving from the 3rd back into the late 2nd to get babin.

Regardless, the bad moves were on Casserly and Capers.

We rolled our eyes at acquiring Dayne, a waiver wire acquisition, and all he did was win about 6 games for us behind a QB who saw his role relegated to snapping the ball and handing it off. And it worked.

How much more will it "work" for us if we have a guy in Schaub who loves the pocket, cuddles with the pocket, and is poised to take over a team? Schaub isn't broken. Schaub hasn't been schell-schocked. He's been right where he needs to be. He's been where Carr probably should have been his first 2-3 years.

I like the moves we've made. I couldn't say this prior to Kubiak coming aboard.

Good times are ahead. Not predicting a Super Bowl, mind you, but I am predicting a more stable team environment where everybody can calm down and just do their jobs without worrying that things are going to revert to the same old Texans ways.

What we had on this team was 51 players always taking a deep breath when the remaining one player was required to do his job. It was always a 50-50 deal with DC. He killed himself on tripping, fumbling, and panicking in the pocket when all he had to do was just do his job. And then he sometimes got himself out of the self-imposed pickle he'd put himself in...he forced himself, via his early mistakes in a game, to come up clutch in the end of some games. That was the mystery of David Carr.

Now we have a guy who relieves Michael Vick, vs. the Eagles mind you, and picks apart the Eagles and moves the ball. Vick comes back in and the ball stalls. Doesn't take much to see that Schaub is comfy in the pocket and he knows how to do the pocket passing game.

Ahman Green might be a bad move. All we're out is money and no draft picks. So be it. Dayne's back, and you never know that we might acquire Lynch with the no. 10...I'm not a fan of his personality and attitude, but I've been watching his highlights and he looks very good in all phases of the RB game.

Be of good cheer all ye who doubt. It's a chance to sit back and actually watch a Texans game without knowing what's going to happen before it happens.

TigerV1
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
I really like this move. The price seems a bit steep at first glance, but it's worth it in my opinion to get Carr out and start moving forward again. I've always liked Schaub and think he has all the tools to be a successful quarterback. Good move, texans :dance2:

Yes, at first glance it does seem steep, but in the end, if we end up with Schaub and <<cough>> Randy Moss <<cough>> or a 2nd round pick from Oakland, and all we give up is Carr and 2 second round picks, I see this as a great move.

Maybe its a pipe dream, but could you imagine this?
QB: Schaub
RB: Green, Dayne, Lundy, Gado
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Randy Moss

This would be a pretty decent offense especially if we can continue to add depth to the OLine.

Vinny
03-21-2007, 03:49 PM
still nothing from the Texans on this....after all, it is contingent on the Texans being able to work out a contract with the Texans. They won't say anything until Schaub signs his extension. They won't make a premature announcement as they are notoriously careful with this kind of stuff.

kcwilson
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Check your PM.

blockhead83
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
My thoughts:
- We're making what should be a noticeable upgrade at the most important position. I've seen Schaub play, he's a smart player and he has a great arm. Say goodbye to Carr's hail mary-type deep balls, Schaub can throw deep with some precision.

- It's still a bad deal based on what we gave up. I'm not concerned with swapping firsts, we'll still get a chance to trade down or draft a great player at that spot. The bad part is giving up 2 2nd rounders for a backup QB. The whole, "We were going to use a 2nd or 3rd on a QB anyways, so we're only giving up 1 pick," reeks of the PBuch trade. We're giving up what could potentially be two starter-quality players for a guy who's never been "the man" in the NFL.

I would have much preferred us to just draft a Drew Stanton/Kevin Kolb type in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and groom them under Rosenfels. This franchise can't afford to give up picks, we need as much help as we can get. I think Schaub will be an upgrade over Carr in that he'll allow us to be more aggressive on offense, but I don't expect him to be a Pro-bowl type performer and so I question the price we paid for him.

I will add that I agree with Hervoyel in that I'm interested to see what they can turn Carr into. If we can get a good value for Carr we could salvage this scenario into one which is much less painful. If we can earn another first day pick from trading Carr, then I'll put myself in the "wait and see" category on this one. Otherwise, I've never been as skeptical of a trade we've made as I am of this one (not sure if that's good or bad since we've made some horrible deals).

I'll still root for Schaub as hard as I would for any Texans QB, and I'm really happy to see anyone behind center that's not David Carr at this point. I'm so sick of watching that pathetic Carr-run offense. I just really hope we're not going to be talking about this a few years from now, about how we could've had those two guys who turned out to be studs, but we gave it up for what turned out to be just another nomad QB.

**** Does anyone know if Kubiak or Smith have had any personal contact with Schaub before? Did they just watch ESPN like the rest of us and assume he's a starter quality player, or have they actually done their homework and seen him play? I hope they know what they're getting into.

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I think I am going to be sick.:wild:

HOU-TEX
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
They won't say anything until Schaub signs his extension. They won't make a premature announcement as they are notoriously careful with this kind of stuff.

I would think we'd hear from rblnick about the press conference before anything else. Right? I will be anxiously waiting for conformation before I bust out my dance moves.:dance2:

TigerV1
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I think I am going to be sick.:wild:

Sick with excitement right?

Carr Bombed
03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Whoever said I was backing Carr? I was justing implying that you were talking out of your arse saying you could do better...no need to get in a tizzy...

Because I'm willing to bet you aren't making an NFL team anytime soon...much less the Texans...or you want that your next heroic feat? Give us an update and create a thread about it...

I dunno man...you talk big words but...lol

Note to self...forgot that people take themselves too seriously sometimes

You can keep on talking all the nonsense you want, but a freaking blind man can get lucky and throw up a pass and score a TD in the last 10 games of a season......I guess you can say every blind man has his day, also known as Carr day.

I do find it funny you keep on bringing up phrases like "your next heroic feat" or "ballet", when you were the one that tried to call me out as a bum, when your probably the one who can't make it across the livingroom without hitting the oxygen tank ........but whatever. Carr is nothing special and isn't worth the money he's getting paid and thats the bottom line.

My Hero
03-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Who knew that so many people would be excited by having 2 back up QB's and a QB lots on this board refer to as a back up. WhooooHeeee we have 3 back ups and 2 back up back ups.

pebblescds
03-21-2007, 03:56 PM
The Texans aren't going to give up their 1st and 3rd picks for this guy. If they wanted to do that, they'd simply sign him to a free agent contract. I trust Smith and Co. not to give up too much for Schaub (i.e., our 1st round pick). Hopefully, that trust will not prove to have been misplaced.

I think its as good a deal as their gonna get with all the crud Casserly left us in.:brickwall There's not enough money, and we don't have to 'teach' anybody how to be a QB. We'll be off an running:mario3: next season w/ a new RB Green/Dayne/Taylor, new QB Schaub, new drafted Reciever and probably a CB too.

All that being said, I'm feeling much better, I was totally:gun: despondant about the Texans team. Now I'm excited about their prospective season.:rolleyes:

BSofA04
03-21-2007, 03:58 PM
If Schaub brings consistency to the offense, wins will take care of themselves. I'm happy that we are going in a new direction, but I'm upset at the loss of a 2nd Rd. pick. We could have really used WR Sidney Rice or C Ryan Kalil!!!!! It's somewhat of a bittersweet moment, since all along everyone was under the assumption that we were looking to acquire picks, not give them away........can Carr at least give us another 3rd rounder?

HOU-TEX
03-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Who knew that so many people would be excited by having 2 back up QB's and a QB lots on this board refer to as a back up. WhooooHeeee we have 3 back ups and 2 back up back ups.

:crying: You Carr fans always have to find some way to spin things that involve your mentor. It's just a matter of time before you have to change the color of your Carr shrine.

reelumin
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Another bad move by the FO. The nightmare continues. When will they stop being taken advantage by the other NFL teams. This deal stinks "another backup to be starter". In that case start Sage and pick a rookie quarterback in the draft. Schaub started two games in 3 years and lost both.

El Amigo Invisible
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Sick with excitement right?

I do not really know anymore.This is too much for me to handle with all the Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson talk. I have no idea what direction Kubiak and RS are going and it makes me feel uneasy.

HuttoKarl
03-21-2007, 04:02 PM
If Schaub brings consistency to the offense, wins will take care of themselves. I'm happy that we are going in a new direction, but I'm upset at the loss of a 2nd Rd. pick. We could have really used WR Sidney Rice or C Ryan Kalil!!!!! It's somewhat of a bittersweet moment, since all along everyone was under the assumption that we were looking to acquire picks, not give them away........can Carr at least give us another 3rd rounder?

It's possible that we can trade down in an attempt to get into the later first, take someone like Kalil and possibly land a second rounder as well and take Rice.

As it stands now, Okoye, Nelson, Branch, Brown are all nice sounding options. Heck...maybe we trade for a later first and then a second next season and consider Schaub our second rounder. I'd be fine with that.

U4ikrob
Frog,

Its all good Gp - I wont be "dissapointed" if Plummer doesnt come here, just a hunch and aconclusion I have had for some time.

Still havent heard this signing is confirmed. And it still doesnt prohibit them from getting Plummer whom IMO would be a good Veteran starter to 'steer the boat' for a few years while Matt gets some time in the GCO without the pressure of having to start immediately with no experience in the system. I just cant in all honesty think Kubiak will go with another Rookie project at QB.

Bottom line - I want whats best for the team. Ive been a Carr fan all along as peeps here know, but I must admit its time for him to go - the PR probs of him coming back would cause alot more probs in the huddle and Kubes and Smitty want a savvy team on the field with players they dont have to micromanage. I cant disagree and IMO had Carr been able to work with Kubes fromthe beginning we would be seeing a diff product on the field - but enough of that. For me - I just want to see an offense that actually functions on the field together for a change - not 11 individuals going out to get 'theirs' in a game and half assing it the rest of the time whenthey arent in 'The play'.

Porky
"Ya, because we all know that every 2nd round pick we have made has been an all-pro. Good point yas got there."

WOW! Yeah there is this guy who we picked in the 2nd round last year named Demeco Ryans - Defensive Rookie of the year in 2006

Don't know much about the team do you?

A helluva lot more than you.