PDA

View Full Version : Talk Offense, don't talk Carr

Gamehorn25
03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Talk about anything on offense, or you think should be mentioned, but it just can't mention Carr or any references to him with degrading nicknames. I am sick of the Slam Carr threads.

I will start, #2 WR Kevin Walter or Jerome Mathis.

joedinkle
03-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I like Jerome Mathis. He has the speed to stretch defenses and take some pressure off of AJ. From what I understand though, is that he has some trouble running routes, or is it his hands? Regardless, I think it's safe to say that he hasn't had the best coaching thoughout his pro career, and didn't play much this past season. Let's see what he does during/after Training Camp.

Ride 'Em
03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
We really need to pick up a #2 WR in free agency or the draft if that's all there is to choose from. Those guys are #3/slot receivers at best.

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I read somewhere once that Mathis has not shown the effort to work on his game prep. and play knowledge. He certainly should be a #2 WR in the league, but I think those where his low spots. I don't think Walters is a #2. Hopefully we find a speedster in the draft.

Gamehorn25
03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I think also think that we need a #2 WR, and I have my eyes set on Sidney Rice in the draft. He runs excellent routes and can catch a jump ball better than anyone.

Lucky
03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
"David Carr was here"
#2 WR Kevin Walter or Jerome Mathis.
Hopefully, neither. Smith and Kubiak have to find a better option to put across from Johnson.

"I'm still talking abot Carr. You can't stop me. Hahahahahahahah..."

HomeBred_Texan
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I think we are done in the FA market. But WR is gonna be a need if you ask me. But since Bob McNair didn't ask me, I guess it will be a wait and see...

We know that Mathis is a burner, that is for sure. But can he run the routes expected and show us sure hands? Those are the worries.

Also everyone seems content on an old running back who use to have it and a backup who came on late in the season but is not a burner. I think we will have serious issues at the RB position if AD is not available for us to draft. But time will tell I guess and another thousand dollars for my season tickets...

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree.

texas mopar
03-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Talk about anything on offense, or you think should be mentioned, but it just can't mention Carr or any references to him with degrading nicknames. I am sick of the Slam Carr threads.

I like Mathis if he can work his way into the game ,but also like Walter. If were so lucky to get AP I think that could be huge.

Texan_Bill
03-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I think Walter makes a perfect #3. I don't think Mathis can stay healty enough to be an every down #2 (he kind of reminds me of Jermaine Lewis) which is okay to bring in on occasion. I think the key here, is to go get a #2 through the draft since none (worth their salt) are left on the free agent market...

DRAMA
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Can you imagine though a Johnson & Johnson WR combo?

Wow! Just imagine the looks that Owen Daniels would get?

TEXANRED
03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

Kevin Walter, I have seen him catch a football unlike Mathis.

I would like to see what he can do in the open field. His senior year at Eastern Mich he put up 1368 receiving yards on 93 catches. I believe he also had 9 TDs.

I know its Eastern Mich but you have to have some skills to put up those kind of numbers.

thunderkyss
03-20-2007, 05:16 PM
I know everyone hates to keep talking about Denver, but Denver has done pretty well, with out a real #2 reciever that stretches the field.

I think we'll be fine with Walther as a #2, and bringing in David Anderson/Jerome Mathis as our third reciever.

I really like that Anderson kid.

infantrycak
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I know everyone hates to keep talking about Denver, but Denver has done pretty well, with out a real #2 reciever that stretches the field.

Ashlie Lelie was their #2 for the 4 years prior to acquiring Walker and his one asset was stretching the field.

keyfro
03-20-2007, 05:38 PM
right now i would have to say kevin walter deserves a shot at the number 2 reciever but that doesn't mean we should bring in guys to challenge him

as for mathis i wrote this on another thread where i thought mathis has more potential that what was previously thought of...we should use mathis with screen passes...his vision that he uses so well on KR's could be utilized during screen passes that usually result in 5yd gains...he could turn those into 30yd td's

texun
03-20-2007, 07:08 PM

I think we'll be fine with Walther as a #2, and bringing in David Anderson/Jerome Mathis as our third reciever.

I really like that Anderson kid.

I agree. Anderson could be a very good receiver for us. I think our receiver situation overall is a better than most people know. Most of the available FA receivers are over priced, over rated and carry a lot of baggage.

thunderkyss
03-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Ashlie Lelie was their #2 for the 4 years prior to acquiring Walker and his one asset was stretching the field.

I know Ashley was a receiver with the Broncos for 4 years, But Shannon Sharpe opened their offense more than he did prior to 2004.

Navy_Chris
03-20-2007, 08:40 PM

I haven't seen enough of Mathis catching the ball to throw him into the #2 spot.

Navy_Chris
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
I know Ashley was a receiver with the Broncos for 4 years, But Shannon Sharpe opened their offense more than he did prior to 2004.

I'm glad we didn't get Lelie. I think it's smart that they aren't too active in FA. They want to build through the draft, which is smart.

grahamcracker977
03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
No Lelie...thank God. Wondering if he'll be happy anywhere he plays.
Anthony Gonzales in the draft...pretty please.

BattleRedToro
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I think it's smart that they aren't too active in FA. They want to build through the draft, which is smart.

I agree.

Navy_Chris
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
No Lelie...thank God. Wondering if he'll be happy anywhere he plays.
Anthony Gonzales in the draft...pretty please.

I think Lelie told Mike Nolan that he wants to be the NFL's first WR/GM/OC in history.

srstex
03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I thought Stokely would have been a good pick up, but now he's accross from Walker in Denver.
I also think the musical (RB) Chairs game will shake up some things this year.
For our offense injuries were our biggest enemy.
IF - things go well, we can field a good team, Daniels is VG, AJ is VG, Green is G, Leach is gone, Dayne is G, if we can keep the oline healthy + these guys I think we are on our way to a solid start - finally- ( sorry couldn't help that last word.

keyfro
03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
well the o-line will be the key to this offense...if they stay healthy...and give us a good push in the running game then this offense will be fine...that's one reason i hope we re-sign leach...when he got in there to block it was almost like the o-line changed attitudes...when cook was in there they looked almost too relaxed and didn't get a push...once leach got in there they became much more aggressive and they finally started getting a push at the line...made a huge difference in the indy game in december

also i think getting eric winston a full offseason and training camp as the starter at RT is going to help him greatly...this kid is going to be a cornerstone of this offensive line for years to come

DontTreadOnMe
03-21-2007, 01:09 AM

wahhhhh... carr sucks... get over it. But, i like our depth at RB, and im also excited for sage.. the couple of games he played he looked like a real qb that can throw downfield and hit his receivers in stride... unlike... lets just say, d.c.

you cannot start a thread about anything on our offense (muchless our team) and request that noone brings up our STARTING QB.... 95% of the time a football team lives and dies by their quarterback, so you are either (a) a carr family member, (b) a carr friend, or (c) a fan that knows very little about the game of football.. please do not start threads just for the sake of 'starting a thread'.

keyfro
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM
no it doesn't...just means he's tired of seeing threads dedicated to nothing but carr bashing...there's plenty of other threads on this board for that...let's leave this one to the rest of the offense

TEXANRED
03-21-2007, 07:54 AM
wahhhhh... carr sucks... get over it. But, i like our depth at RB, and im also excited for sage.. the couple of games he played he looked like a real qb that can throw downfield and hit his receivers in stride... unlike... lets just say, d.c.

you cannot start a thread about anything on our offense (muchless our team) and request that noone brings up our STARTING QB.... 95% of the time a football team lives and dies by their quarterback, so you are either (a) a carr family member, (b) a carr friend, or (c) a fan that knows very little about the game of football.. please do not start threads just for the sake of 'starting a thread'.

Actually it was going well up until now.

Thanks.