PDA

View Full Version : Texans Draft Mistakes

ivenovember
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok here's the deal, Texans aren't exactly the best drafters but its ok.

Here are some players drafted right after the Texans' picks.

2002:
1st round, David Carr 1 pick later Julius Peppers was drafted.
2003:
3rd round, Antwan Peek 1 pick later Lance Briggs.
6th round, Drew Hendson 6 picks later Cato June
2004:
1st round, Dunta Robinson 1 pick later Roethlisberger and 4 picks after that Michael Clayton (not to bad though cause i guess we needed a CB)
2005:
1st round, Travis Johnson 4 picks later Marcus Spears
2006:
I won't mention the 1st round pick
2nd round DeMeco Ryan was our best pick ever
7th round, David Anderson 1 pick later NO selects Marques Colston.

I hope nothing like this happens this year, and i think we're finally headed in a better direction.

rollinstone18
03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Aside from Colston, our last draft was flawless. I'd still take Mario over Reggie or Vince today.

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton

12Gage
03-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton

co-sign

Wolf
03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=29479

talk about mistakes

can take Peek off of the bolded list too

DD or DW ...bad luck..he might not play again

dirty steve
03-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Aside from Colston, our last draft was flawless. I'd still take Mario over Reggie or Vince today.

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton
every team except for the Saints missed on Colston also. i can count at least 3 possible Pro-Bowlers out of that group (Williams-Ryans-Daniels) plus Spencer who hopefully will get back healthy.

alphajoker
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
2005:
1st round, Travis Johnson 4 picks later Marcus Spears

I know your picks are the ones made after the Texans but this one will always be one of the worst mistakes for this franchise. Trade 1st rd picks with the Saints and they pick up Pro Bowl OT Jammal Brown.

hollywood_texan
03-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton

Our last draft was not flawless in my opinion.

One player made the draft class of 2007.

But, then again, 2 to 3 players make a team championship quality.

People sing the praises of Kubiak, but we still have the same holes that were there last year. And it seems very clear they are not committed to fixing the biggest problem. If you don't fix that problem, it won't matter what this draft class is like.

ivenovember
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I actually think our last year's draft was actually the besty draft we've had BY FAR.
If you think Mario Williams was the best pick or not thats up for debate.
DeMeco Ryans was our best pick in a draft ever.
Spencer and Winston are both very solid O-linmen.
Owen Daniels is a great player and you can see that his 352 yds and 5 tds shows that he can be a good TE for us.
Lundy is a great RB, a back up for now but could be a great starter one day.
The only other pick is 7th rounder David Anderson who is still in development.

DocBar
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
I actually think our last year's draft was actually the besty draft we've had BY FAR.
If you think Mario Williams was the best pick or not thats up for debate.
DeMeco Ryans was our best pick in a draft ever.
Spencer and Winston are both very solid O-linmen.
Owen Daniels is a great player and you can see that his 352 yds and 5 tds shows that he can be a good TE for us.
Lundy is a great RB, a back up for now but could be a great starter one day.
The only other pick is 7th rounder David Anderson who is still in development.
IMO, Mario will make a lot of people go on a crow diet before his career is over; Demeco ROCKS PERIOD;Spencer and Winston showed promise but are far from being "very solid linemen"; Owen Daniels definitely has potential; Lundy didn't do a blasted thing once preseason was over; last, David who???
Are you really counting on a 7th rouder?? Guys like that RARELY make big contributions. That's what made Colston such a gem.
This team has made some SERIOUS reaches in previous drafts, especially under CC/DC. They always seemed to be looking for that sleeper that would make them look like (supervillian laugh) SUPER GENIUSES and generally ended up looking like stupid fools instead. DW is about their biggest 2nd day find. Hard to decide between Babin and T. Johnson(or our &%$^& 2nd round pick the Raiders got from us) as the biggest 1st day bust. The '06 draft gives me a lot of hope for the future. Yeah, it seems like we have the same old holes to fill, but ya can't erase 4 years of bad drafts with one good one. I'll leave FA out for now and save it for another rant.
:hunter:

LORK 88
03-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Can we also add drafting Tony Hollings in the 2nd round of the Supplimental draft to the list?

DocBar
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Can we also add drafting Tony Hollings in the 2nd round of the Supplimental draft to the list? Dang...you had to go and remind me!!!!!

t_flare
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Drew Henson turn from 6th round to 3rd round.. how bout

Seth Wand - 3rd Round
Jabar Gaffney- 2nd Round
J. Wells - 4th Round
Bennie Joppru - 2nd round
Vernand Morency- 3rd

Yea so Texans were the only stupid team huh...

powerfuldragon
03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned boselli.

Wolf
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM

oh it is mentioned

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36965

Texas_Thrill
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes some of those we all feel like we could or should have seen coming. I've never been a fan of drafting a qb first to a new franchise but that's just me.

Beyond that we really had no clue of how most of those picks would turn out.

Nighthawk
03-19-2007, 11:29 PM

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton

You, sir, are profoundly challenged, pickwise.

Dime
03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I understand what you are saying but how is this statement fair to the current management. The former management was sorry and was replaced. Kub and Rick Smith have done a great job last year, and I have faith in them this year.

TexanSam
03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
You can't complain too much about the Texans not drafting Marques Colston. 32 teams passed on him 6 times. The Saints probably weren't expecting him to be the player that he is. Sometimes you strike gold in those late rounds but you aren't expecting huge contributors to your team in the 6th and 7th round. I would focus more on the draft mistakes in rounds 1-4.

ATX
03-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Does trading a 2nd and a 3rd for Phillip Buchanon count as a draft mistake? Trading up for Babin was stupid too, that counts. It also sucks not having mutiple picks in certain rounds like the first few drafts. We missed out in some of those picks too. I mean who's around from the 1st 2 drafts? Pitts, Carr, Johnson, Weary, is that it? Dominick Williams? Terrible drafts IMO except for AJ and Pitts maybe Weary, the others are wastes IMO.

rollinstone18
03-20-2007, 12:19 AM
You, sir, are profoundly challenged, pickwise.

Eat me.

Skrobes66
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
In our first draft, we picked both Gaffney and Pitts before Clinton Portis. Also, we passed up Jamal Brown and Derrick Johnson for the Travis Johnson pick.

HoustonFrog
03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
This is a cut and paste of something I put in another thread. Concentrating on one draft...sorry about the repeat but it fits

Casserly is running the 2005 draft. Here are our picks.
1) Rd. 1 player 16 Travis Johnson DT Florida State
2) Rd. 3 player 73 Vernand Morency RB Oklahoma State
3) Rd. 4 player 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
4) Rd. 5 player 151 Drew Hodgdon C Arizona State
5) Rd. 6 player 188 Ceandris Brown DB Louisiana-Lafayette
6) Rd. 7 player 227 Kenneth Pettway LB Grambling State

We also gave up our 47th and 78th pick overall for Phillip Buchanan.

So right now we have gotten pure production out of Jermone Mathis. Many responded before that they thought Morency was a good pick and will pay off for the Pack. Whether he turns out or not, he still ends up being a bad pick because we didn't need another RB at that time in the draft...OL would have been nice and we had already used a supplemental pick in 2003 on Tony Hollings. His big misses were in the 2nd and 3rd rounds..like Joppru and Ragone, when we should have added pieces to the puzzle.

Gamehorn25
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I was about to say that David Carr was a bad pick for a QB, but then I looked it up and he is the best QB in the 2002 First round. The other two were Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey. I actually think that we made the right decision on that one. It was a really bad draft for QBs in 2002.

BattleRedGuy
03-20-2007, 07:37 PM

:hairpull:

Navy_Chris
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Luis Castillo was also there when the Texans took Travis Johnson.

ivenovember
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Drew Henson turn from 6th round to 3rd round.. how bout

Seth Wand - 3rd Round
Jabar Gaffney- 2nd Round
J. Wells - 4th Round
Bennie Joppru - 2nd round
Vernand Morency- 3rd

Yea so Texans were the only stupid team huh...

Henson was drafted in the 6th round of the draft, we then traded him later to Dallas for a third round selection, but he was a 6th rounder

ivenovember
03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Also i was not talking about any draft pick trading, which is a whole other story, and i know that everyone else made mistakes on Colston, but i was just listing some picks right after the Texans selected.
Also this was not a general draft pick mistake, it was who came right after our picks.

ivenovember
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Clinton Portis was also 1 picks after Chester Pitts (18 after Jabar Gaffney) in the 2002 Draft David Garrad was also 9 picks after Jonathan Wells in the 4th round so we could have started out our franchise with Peppers, Portis and Garrad.