PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans: Still in Development

HoustonFrog
03-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Watching this show

Anyone watching this on 13?

Seems to have alot of things we are asking ourselves. It seems the writers and radio think what most are...with the teammates and all Dave should move on.

Sage was a subject too. They think he has skills and a his teammates respcect him.

However Smith is doing his best to dance and say the guy is the QB yet they would trade if need be.

It looks like this is a draft time thing.

They are also talking draft and the guys out there...especially O-line. It is McClain and Zerlein commenting.

Overall it is a team revamp show...I'm off of here but I'm interested to see what people think of the comments.

I'm not sure how much is puff we have already seen and how much is new info.

South Texan
03-19-2007, 01:29 AM
If I am catching the base line sentiment, I think the point is valid. In a very real sense, we are entering year 2 of our expansion under the new regime without the benifit of an expansion draft.

I would love to see it click this year, but I thinking we are looking at 2008 to be valid playoff contenders. That in mind, I am not going to get to upset if they don't draft "my players" this year till I have had a chance to think about who they pick. I blew up at the Mario pick last year, but once I calmed down and thought about it, it made sense.

Ole Miss Texan
03-19-2007, 01:51 AM
If I am catching the base line sentiment, I think the point is valid. In a very real sense, we are entering year 2 of our expansion under the new regime without the benifit of an expansion draft.

I would love to see it click this year, but I thinking we are looking at 2008 to be valid playoff contenders. That in mind, I am not going to get to upset if they don't draft "my players" this year till I have had a chance to think about who they pick. I blew up at the Mario pick last year, but once I calmed down and thought about it, it made sense.

Charles Spencer and Owen Daniels did it for me last season. They turned out to be great picks for us and barring any severe injuries, i would think will be starters for a long time. spencer looked very good for the little we got to see him. please get healthy.

I think we will see our 3 first day picks all be starters...easily by the end of the season. combine that with 5 rookies from last draft that should be starting. thats like 40% of our team that would be from the '06 and '07 draft classes that will be good.

Wow I just got really excited. I really thing we're going to make a run for it in the 2008 season. Hopefully division winners but maybe wild card. I'm usually pretty realistic and don't say we're going to be undefeated or anything but it's looking very good to me. of course we still gotta have this years draft and see how it turns out!

sure wish we didn't really waste that 5th round pick on moulds last season. hopefully andre learned a good deal from him because we sure could be using the player we would have drafted...i would have liked jeremy bloom wr..colorado.

HoustonFan
03-19-2007, 07:25 AM
You can't forget about Demeco Ryans, OMT. Looking back, I wish we would have taken Vince - and yes I was an advocate for Carr sticking around. I still think Carr has some potential, but that he has been shell-shocked here in Houston. Mario was alright, and maybe (HOPEFULLY) his best games are ahead of him for a long time to come.

I'm hoping they get some steals this year like they did last year.

HuttoKarl
03-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Charles Spencer and Owen Daniels did it for me last season. They turned out to be great picks for us and barring any severe injuries, i would think will be starters for a long time. spencer looked very good for the little we got to see him. please get healthy.

I think we will see our 3 first day picks all be starters...easily by the end of the season. combine that with 5 rookies from last draft that should be starting. thats like 40% of our team that would be from the '06 and '07 draft classes that will be good.

Wow I just got really excited. I really thing we're going to make a run for it in the 2008 season. Hopefully division winners but maybe wild card. I'm usually pretty realistic and don't say we're going to be undefeated or anything but it's looking very good to me. of course we still gotta have this years draft and see how it turns out!

sure wish we didn't really waste that 5th round pick on moulds last season. hopefully andre learned a good deal from him because we sure could be using the player we would have drafted...i would have liked jeremy bloom wr..colorado.

The fifth rounder for Moulds was last year....we have all seven rounds this year. Hope that makes your day a little bit better.

Perhaps we can use it to draft "the next Jeremy Bloom". :)

nunusguy
03-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I got the impression the show was produced 'bout a week ago, because
nothing new and most of it now fairly old news.
To me the most interesting part of the show was GM Smiths comments about
Carr because it reveals what a mess they are in with DC. With a salary of 6-7
million for this year that has to be paid if they keep him, it plainly shows how
they have to start him if he's retained. But Smiths language is so vague, even evasive about Carr that one can see they don't know want him, but
are covering their butts in the event they are stuck with him.
And if they play him as they must if they can't unload him, best scenario for the Texans organization is that Carr plays reasonable well, the Texans win a couple more games, and Vince Young stinks it up with a sophomore jinx after
his great rookie year.

texans83
03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
The fifth rounder for Moulds was last year....we have all seven rounds this year. Hope that makes your day a little bit better.

Perhaps we can use it to draft "the next Jeremy Bloom". :)

Oh thats great news, Im not sure if Moulds has been picked up, IMO im glad they cut him, he had to much of a payroll and he wasent getting as much attention off of AJ as they had hoped for. I know we dont have a #2 reciever right now but the draft is pretty deep as far as recievers go so I look for them to pick one up in the 3 round possible 2nd depending who all is there.

Sportsfan
03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
They didn't state anything on the program that isn't talked about on here.

The only thing that stuck out to me was that Rick Smith emphatically stated that Carr is still their starting QB and in this offense major improvements by the QB are seen in years 2 and 3 after learning this new offense.

El Tejano
03-19-2007, 12:31 PM

The only thing that stuck out to me was that Rick Smith emphatically stated that Carr is still their starting QB and in this offense major improvements by the QB are seen in years 2 and 3 after learning this new offense.

That is a fantastic way of saying, we can't get rid of him so we are hoping he got better.

HuttoKarl
03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh thats great news, Im not sure if Moulds has been picked up, IMO im glad they cut him, he had to much of a payroll and he wasent getting as much attention off of AJ as they had hoped for. I know we dont have a #2 reciever right now but the draft is pretty deep as far as recievers go so I look for them to pick one up in the 3 round possible 2nd depending who all is there.

We basically need a guy with good hands instead of lobster claws, and jets instead of skateboard wheels. Moulds had the hands, but not the speed to keep defenses honest. A deep-threat is much-needed to keep those CB's/FS's honest.

HoustonFrog
03-19-2007, 01:40 PM

But he also followed up up, like he has all off season, that changes can happen. To me it sounded like more b.s. so as not to show their hand. GM speak

Wolfiegrrl
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I'd love to see this. Anyone know if it is on line anywhere?

HoustonFrog
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I'd love to see this. Anyone know if it is on line anywhere?

I haven't looked but you might check Channel 13s website, abc13 and see if it is the sports area.

freedoggy77
03-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I saw this last night...basically said what i already knew

rickyb
03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm hoping they get some steals this year like they did last year.

Just remember, everyone -- our team has so many needs, that Smith & Kubiak drafting is going to be relatively straight-forward.

Oops, the next OL on our board was taken...better switch over to fill that Safety position (either of em). Or CB. Or DT. Or DE. Or WR2.

You get the idea. I for one am very excited about this draft!

Silver Oak
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
:yawn:

Looks like Bob Allen just read the Chronic and resused their already old and tired stories. I caught some of it and it was stuff thats been beat to death and beyond on this forum.

thunderkyss
03-19-2007, 05:22 PM

I don't see a draft time trade involving David Carr. Sorry, just not seeing it.

The team he is traded to, would have to assume his contract, or they'd have to feel pretty damn good, that he'd take less money.

I don't see anyone wanting to Pay David Carr $5.75 million in '07. I don't see David taking a pay cut just so we can move up, and draft his replacement.

hollywood_texan
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't see a draft time trade involving David Carr. Sorry, just not seeing it.

The team he is traded to, would have to assume his contract, or they'd have to feel pretty damn good, that he'd take less money.

I don't see anyone wanting to Pay David Carr $5.75 million in '07. I don't see David taking a pay cut just so we can move up, and draft his replacement.

Exactly, David isn't going anywhere. Just the way I see it.

David might be a standup guy, but I don't think he has problem being grossly overpaid. Further, I don't think McNair will get out of the way so Kubiak can deal Carr and move on.

McNair has boxed the Texans into keeping Carr for probably the remainder of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr signs an extension next year if he has modest numbers and the Texans go .500. Be prepared for that!

bigbrewster2000
03-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Exactly, David isn't going anywhere. Just the way I see it.

David might be a standup guy, but I don't think he has problem being grossly overpaid. Further, I don't think McNair will get out of the way so Kubiak can deal Carr and move on.

McNair has boxed the Texans into keeping Carr for probably the remainder of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr signs an extension next year if he has modest numbers and the Texans go .500. Be prepared for that!

McNair's most recent actions would seem to elude to the opposite. He said the same thing that Kubes and Smith have said. That basically no ones job is safe to include Carrs.

South Texan
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
I agree that Carr will probably be around next year but with one difference: He won't be handed the starter's job on a platter. Kubiak has stated that he doesn't care what a player makes, he is going to start the best player at each position.
Looking from the outside in, Sage seems to have more respect from his teammates and better decision skills at this point.

IMO Carr's biggest problem at this point is a loss of self-confidence. Understandable after all he has been through. But until he get's it back, all the physical talent in the world is not going to help much.

If they pass on Quinn look for them to pick up Kolb in the third (mabye) or the fourth round (almost certainly) if he is still available.

Meanwhile, there is lot's of talent in the draft this year in the secondary and WR's, I think it's going to be a huge plus for us on our way to the Texan's Dynasty. :victory:

hollywood_texan
03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
McNair's most recent actions would seem to elude to the opposite. He said the same thing that Kubes and Smith have said. That basically no ones job is safe to include Carrs.

Words are one thing and action is another.

It took McNair 5 years to say something along those lines. People say a lot of things but have no intentions of following through or following the spirit of the words.

If the Texans really wanted to move Carr, they would have done it by now.

My call is, Carr isn't going anywhere for several more years. And it isn't Kubiak's or Smith's decision, but McNair's. I have a very strong feeling that McNair is boxing them into the decision on keeping Carr because of certain parameter requirements to move him and finding his replacement.

grahamcracker977
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I thought the show was just fluffer. Nothing new was stated. Although Rick Smith was evasive and stayed with the party line of "David Carr is our starting quarterback" I got the impression that he relishes the idea of Sage competing for the starting job this summer. Seems his teammates respect him and appreciate his hustle...which ended up getting him hurt this season but I digress.
Are any of you open to trading down and getting say a later first round and maybe a high second round pick for number eight. I say this only because I think we're weak at center. Flannagan is getting older and was injured last season. After watching the combine and what managers had to say about USC's Ryan Kalil...how bout picking him up with the high second round pick and picking up a Marshawn Lynch or other RB in the first. Use the third for Kevin Kolb? Just thinking out loud.

QB75
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Watching this show

Anyone watching this on 13?

Seems to have alot of things we are asking ourselves. It seems the writers and radio think what most are...with the teammates and all Dave should move on.

Sage was a subject too. They think he has skills and a his teammates respcect him.

However Smith is doing his best to dance and say the guy is the QB yet they would trade if need be.

They are also talking draft and the guys out there...especially O-line. It is McClain and Zerlein commenting.

Overall it is a team revamp show...I'm off of here but I'm interested to see what people think of the comments.

I'm not sure how much is puff we have already seen and how much is new info.

Typical Bob Allen. He's never made a secret of his disdain for David Carr.

hollywood_texan
03-19-2007, 09:52 PM

He's not the only one...

There are many others...

QB75
03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
He's not the only one...

There are many others...

Yes, there are: :joker:

HoustonFrog
03-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Actually McClain and Zerlein were the ones who were more outspoken saying Carr shouldn't be here and won't be here. Zerlein said basically the same thing me and many others have said...you would have to assume that Dinta isn't the only teammate who thinks they things he said.

Sorry to reitterate the same points but I don't see anyway they will keep him. I really think that the sides have splintered too much. I don't think you put him on the block, have disgruntled teammates and have the things that happened this off-season and expect him to be ready to go this training camp. A competiton within the team is just asking to ruin another season for this team. You thought last year was bad, what happens when you have two sides critiquing every game day in and day out calling for either Carr or Rosenfels or the rookie to get more starts?Not good for the team.

Honoring Earl 34
03-19-2007, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=HoustonFrog;631445]Actually McClain and Zerlein were the ones who were more outspoken saying Carr shouldn't be here and won't be here. Zerlein said basically the same thing me and many others have said...you would have to assume that Dinta isn't the only teammate who thinks they things he said.

Sorry to reitterate the same points but I don't see anyway they will keep him. I really think that the sides have splintered too much. I don't think you put him on the block, have disgruntled teammates and have the things that happened this off-season and expect him to be ready to go this training camp. A competiton within the team is just asking to ruin another season for this team. You thought last year was bad, what happens when you have two sides critiquing every game day in and day out calling for either Carr or Rosenfels or the rookie to get more starts?Not good for the team.[/QUOT

I think that the Carr era has come and gone for the Texans .

I think the Texans era has come and gone for Carr .

The worst thing anyone can do is try to force something that's not there .

Anyone ever stay in a relationship out of being to lazy or to scared to break up ?

HoustonFrog
03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I think that the Carr era has come and gone for the Texans .

I think the Texans era has come and gone for Carr .

The worst thing anyone can do is try to force something that's not there .

Anyone ever stay in a relationship out of being to lazy or to scared to break up ?

I could not agree more. I really shake my head everytime these talks come up because I just don't see what either party gets from it but grief. It is win/win in my book if they split up....no late night phone calls either.

Honoring Earl 34
03-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I could not agree more. I really shake my head everytime these talks come up because I just don't see what either party gets from it but grief. It is win/win in my book if they split up....no late night phone calls either.

I wrote her off for the tenth time today
And practiced all the things I would say
But she came over I lost my nerve
I took her back and made her dessert
Oh I know I'm being used
That's okay man cause I like the abuse
Oh I know she's playing with me
That's okay cause I've got no self esteem