PDA

View Full Version : Who is Von Hutchens?

HOOK'EM
03-18-2007, 12:14 AM
SCOUTING REPORT: Von Hutchins is a young player the Texans believe could play an integral role in the secondary in future seasons. He played cornerback last season but may be given a chance to move to free safety this season, a position he excelled at during part of his career at Mississippi and an area of need for the Texans. He is a good athlete who could make major strides in the offseason. He is good at making receivers change their routes but could work on defending the run and being a more physical tackler.

This was on SportingNews.com under the Texans team report. Megan Manfull wrote the collum, but who is Von Hutchens................and at FS? I guess that rules out LaRon Landry.

infantrycak
03-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I guess that rules out LaRon Landry.

Ahman Green does not rule out AP or AD as you prefer and Hutchins doesn't rule out Landry.

Navy_Chris
03-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Von Hutchins is one of my starting CBs on Madden. He's pretty good.

HOOK'EM
03-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I hope not, Landry would be awsome, guess this Von Hutchens guy is just depth.:confused:

Dunta_23
03-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Thats the equivalent of saying....We have Kevin Walter, that rules out Calvin Johnson should he slip to 8

HOOK'EM
03-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Do you know anything about this guy?

Navy_Chris
03-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Do you know anything about this guy?

He played at Ole Miss for 4 years...drafted in the 6th round a couple years back...young promising guy with great speed and quickness....not a great tackler....decent instincts. I think he'd make a solid nickel corner.

Big78
03-18-2007, 12:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/von_hutchins

Doesnt sound too bad actually, played for the colts for 2 years b4 he came to us last year, not bad stats for a rookie.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492962

played in all 16 games his first year. only 3 his second, dont know why.
Just looking at his prospect report he looks like a small guy who makes up for it in effort. though not every guy can bridge the gap between heart and God goven talent. But dont forget that the colts had/have players like bob sanders, mike doss, jason david, and nick harper. even if he didnt start over those guys he did show he could chalenge them for a roster spot and most of those guys are generally regarded as atleast above average starters if not very good ones.

kiwitexansfan
03-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Sounds like a guy that is more about coverage than being a hitter, something that might come in handy for our team.

This is all well and good talking about a guy that could be our FS but wasn't there a guy everyone swore would be our answer at FS last year (Jamaal Lord??) and how did that work out. If Landry is BPA when we pick we take him in an instant.

Austrian
03-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Isn't Von Hutchins the guy who ran his only interception back for a touchdown against the texans?

TwinSisters
03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Isn't Von Hutchins the guy who ran his only interception back for a touchdown against the texans?

yep.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/2004/week09.html

Garbage time interception for the pick six though. :D

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2007, 10:16 AM
There was another blurb similair to this about another back-up corner, dexter Wynn earlier this off-season. They are just trying to find a player at FS with cover skills.

Ole Miss Texan
03-18-2007, 10:23 AM
He doesn't seem like our long term answer at free safety. I was excited to see last season when we signed him. He will be great depth for us to have and will not be a bad drop off if he comes in to play cb.

we still need to address the secondary on the 1st day of the draft. Either starting FS or starting CB 2. Hutchins will not change our draft strategy or who we pick... but if we were to have signed ken hamlin...that would change things.

aj.
03-18-2007, 10:36 AM
...wasn't there a guy everyone swore would be our answer at FS last year (Jamaal Lord??) and how did that work out. .

If you bought into that bunk, I'd suggest more selective reading.

kiwitexansfan
03-18-2007, 02:11 PM
If you bought into that bunk, I'd suggest more selective reading.

Didn't buy into that one at all myself but it had a similiar or even bigger cult following than this.

I guess everyone is just desperate to find a fix and will follow every lead to find it.

afcman
03-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Who is Von Hutchens?

He plays in a Van Halen cover band. He's not any good either.

keyfro
03-18-2007, 02:35 PM
hutchins is a guy they brought in late in the season due to all the injuries we had...he's a back-up corner...that's about it...he doesn't have the size you look for in a FS...i didn't see enough of him last year to see if he could really be anything more than a decent nickelback...but like all the guys we have on the roster at the DB position he'll get his fair chance to show the coaches what he can do during training camp...if he can move to the safty position great...it makes him more versatile increasing his chances of making the team

this in no way shape or form should change the way smith goes into the draft...right now we still need a FS, CB, WR, OL, DE, and of course QB

A Texan
03-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a guy that is more about coverage than being a hitter, something that might come in handy for our team.

This is all well and good talking about a guy that could be our FS but wasn't there a guy everyone swore would be our answer at FS last year (Jamaal Lord??) and how did that work out. If Landry is BPA when we pick we take him in an instant.

Jamaal Lord? I don't think so. What surprised me was that he stayed around as long as he did.

TexanSam
03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Jamaal Lord? I don't think so. What surprised me was that he stayed around as long as he did.

You could say that about a lot of former, and maybe current players.

bavanlan
03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
He's one of those guys that's decent at a few positions (CB, S) but doesn't excel at any of them. He's should be good for depth, but he was cut from the Colts because he was taking a position that could have been filled by newer guys. He just never panned out in any direction.

aj.
03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
He's one of those guys that's decent at a few positions (CB, S) but doesn't excel at any of them. He's should be good for depth, but he was cut from the Colts because he was taking a position that could have been filled by newer guys. He just never panned out in any direction.

Yeah, but look at what the Colts have done in the last 2-3 drafts. Jennings, Jackson, Hayden, Sanders ... all top picks... plus David...

You have to admit that Hutchins may have also got caught up in a bit of a numbers game at Indy because Dungy's commitment to upgrade the secondary a few years back resulted in him drafting what... about 8 DBs in the last three drafts? (and 4 of them in the 1st or 2nd round). That and his bad foot in '05 kept Hutchins off the field while the other guys were getting the reps. Hutchins only chance to show anything there was in his rookie season in '04 and CB is tough enough - let alone for a rook. Not catching on with anyone after being cut by Denver in the last cutdowns is a concern but sometimes it takes a DB, especially a CB a year or two to get it... That's the hope here at least.