PDA

View Full Version : David Carr threads AD NAUSEUM....WHAT IF

TexansSB07
03-16-2007, 10:27 PM
what do all the Carr haters plan on doing, IF Carr stays and plays in Houston in 2007??

Not doing another bash job, just honestly wondering what if we keep him. Will you support team or will you walk away, I mean about 50% of people on this board have been down to U-haul checking cost to rent truck to move Carr to ANY other NFL team.

So do you support the team despite who is QB IF they WIN or if they LOSE, or do you take the grown-up mature "nyahh nyahh told you so" attitude.

mexican_texan
03-16-2007, 10:32 PM
A team isn't all about the QB.

TexansLucky13
03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
They will head back to Grouchland.

:elmo:

HoustonFrog
03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
what do all the Carr haters plan on doing, IF Carr stays and plays in Houston in 2007??
Not doing another bash job, just honestly wondering what if we keep him. Will you support team or will you walk away, I mean about 50% of people on this board have been down to U-haul checking cost to rent truck to move Carr to ANY other NFL team.

So do you support the team despite who is QB IF they WIN or if they LOSE, or do you take the grown-up mature "nyahh nyahh told you so" attitude.

Do you ever read the threads?Most start as incredibly inane threads concerning how wonderful the man is despite the things that have happened, with no basis of reality. There is also a massive group that doesn't hate but whom understand the situation and what we need to do without "hate." Please put a fork in another one of these threads. Seriously. The identical question was asked earlier in the week and probably took up 20 pages.

freedoggy77
03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
if Carr stays i'm OK with it as long as he has to really fight to earn the starting job and if he doesn't perform he is replaced

Trap_Star
03-16-2007, 10:36 PM
So.....how bout' them Astros?...:shoot:

QB75
03-16-2007, 10:51 PM

They will keep whining about it.

MATRIX
03-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Here is what will happen and the haters will jump all over this(not that I care).

Carr plays in 07 and we loose...complain worse then now.

Carr plays in 07 and we win...they will act like they loved him all along.

Haters are a simple type, they support the winner, not the team as a whole.

Either way, I'll still watch the Texans play because the represent this city. And win or loose, atleast we have a team. They can start whoever they like till one of us is the owner and can decide differently.:victory:

thunderkyss
03-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Well.... being that I wasn't very keen on him being here in '06, much less starting, I think I can speak from experience.

I've never said, "I told you so" I have got involved in several Carr threads to point out a few errors he made... point out a few reads, a few mismatches I think he should have seen & taken advantage of.

I've even got involved in a few game day threads and expressed when I thought he had a good game. I believe there were three.

I've praised him for improving on some things, got on him for reverting back to his old self. I've even said how impressed I was through the season, how David has been able to keep his eyes down the field(allbeit looking at one receiver in particualr) in the face of a rush.

If we go into next season, with Kubiak saying that he'll finish what he started, and continue to develop David, I'll do next year, what I did this year. I won't boo him. I won't demand to see the back up. I'll patiently expect another losing season as we develop our 6th year rookie.

If we have a "competition" & David "wins" then I'll be upset. I still won't boo. I still won't ask for the other guy. But I'll start a thread for every bad read, every bad step, every stupid penalty, every fresno tuck...

etc... etc...

tsip
03-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I like the board the way it is, as there is some good intelligent football stuff and then there is the 'Comedy Central' stuff that really puts things in perspective...just when you've heard one of the same Carr excuses for the millionth time, a poster comes a long and gives a new/different spin on David's 'play.'

Really, if Carr leaves Houston it's going to get kinda lonely around here--what are we going to talk about? Intelligent and factual football talk will only go so far, so bring on the fictional Carr talk to fill in the 'empty' spots. OK, so maybe David has a 'few' football problems on the field...doesn't mean we have to ignore him...

Texas_Thrill
03-17-2007, 01:38 AM
For Buddha, Allah, Jesus sake......Do we need another thread on whose name I will not even mention?

I say we banish all threads even relating to this until there is some DEFINITE answer. This is getting *Scratch*.........this is PAST ridiculous.

This has gotten worse than arguing over abortion.

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 01:54 AM

I have said on repeated occasions that I'm a Texans fan. I'm not a Carr fan. I will continue to watch every Texans game at least twice. I will continue to root for the team no matter who the players are.

Last year before the season started, I was in the Carr-Lover group. I defended him and said he needed to have one more chance. Well, he had it. And from what I saw the last half of last season, he's a horrible QB and shouldn't be starting for any NFL team. That has nothing to do with how bad the running game is or how bad the line is, that's based on his performance (or lack of it) on the field.

If Carr is starting, then I hope it's because Kubiak thinks he gives the team the best chance to win. I'm not so sure that was the case last season. I think he started Carr against his better judgment in an attempt to rehabilitate him and to re-train him after what had been done to him by the Capers era. I think that came from McNair. If Sage had been healthy the last part of the season, I don't think Carr would have been starting.

So... this opens up the flip sides of that question.

1. What are you going to do if they decide Carr isn't in our future and they get rid of him one way or another? Are you going to continue to be a Texan fan or are you going to switch allegiance?
2. What if Carr goes to another team and is successful? Are you going to be hoping for him to play well to show the Texans FO that they were wrong? (Personally, as soon as Carr leaves, I won't care how he plays as long as we beat him.)
3. What if Carr isn't successful with another team? Will you admit that we wasted last year trying to get him up to speed or will you continue to make excuses for his play?
4. What if Carr does stay but loses the job? Are you going to bash whoever the new QB is and say that we'd be better with Carr?
5. What if Carr does stay, keeps the job, and continues to play poorly? Will you ever be able to look at his performance and hold him accountable for how he plays? Or will you continue to blame every other part of the team?

If Carr stays here, keeps the starting spot, and plays well, I will be very surprised and... very, very happy. I don't want my starting QB to be bad and I don't care who that starting QB is. If it's Carr, great. If it's not Carr, great. As long as whoever the QB is plays well, I don't care. I'm not hoping for my QB to play bad.

:texan:

03-17-2007, 02:59 AM

what makes this year any different? i'm basically married to the texans with no chance of divorce and carr has been a part of it every year... if anything, i love the team more every season, despite the hardships... if carr stays, it's basically another shrug, sigh, and nothing really new. to me, it's more of a "...dang" than a "I'M NEVER WATCHING THE TEXANS AGAIN" type of feeling... because the latter would be a flat out lie.

texas mopar
03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
I have said on repeated occasions that I'm a Texans fan. I'm not a Carr fan. I will continue to watch every Texans game at least twice. I will continue to root for the team no matter who the players are.

Last year before the season started, I was in the Carr-Lover group. I defended him and said he needed to have one more chance. Well, he had it. And from what I saw the last half of last season, he's a horrible QB and shouldn't be starting for any NFL team. That has nothing to do with how bad the running game is or how bad the line is, that's based on his performance (or lack of it) on the field.

If Carr is starting, then I hope it's because Kubiak thinks he gives the team the best chance to win. I'm not so sure that was the case last season. I think he started Carr against his better judgment in an attempt to rehabilitate him and to re-train him after what had been done to him by the Capers era. I think that came from McNair. If Sage had been healthy the last part of the season, I don't think Carr would have been starting.

So... this opens up the flip sides of that question.

1. What are you going to do if they decide Carr isn't in our future and they get rid of him one way or another? Are you going to continue to be a Texan fan or are you going to switch allegiance?
2. What if Carr goes to another team and is successful? Are you going to be hoping for him to play well to show the Texans FO that they were wrong? (Personally, as soon as Carr leaves, I won't care how he plays as long as we beat him.)
3. What if Carr isn't successful with another team? Will you admit that we wasted last year trying to get him up to speed or will you continue to make excuses for his play?
4. What if Carr does stay but loses the job? Are you going to bash whoever the new QB is and say that we'd be better with Carr?
5. What if Carr does stay, keeps the job, and continues to play poorly? Will you ever be able to look at his performance and hold him accountable for how he plays? Or will you continue to blame every other part of the team?

If Carr stays here, keeps the starting spot, and plays well, I will be very surprised and... very, very happy. I don't want my starting QB to be bad and I don't care who that starting QB is. If it's Carr, great. If it's not Carr, great. As long as whoever the QB is plays well, I don't care. I'm not hoping for my QB to play bad.

:texan:

I agree I'm a Texans fan to the core, and don't really care who starts at QB because I believe we will improve as a team with another good draft. I think you build a winning team with defense and a good running game. I think with another draft we could be in that league of football teams. IMO once we improve in other areas of the team the QB situation will take care of itself.I would love to have a team that all it needed is a QB but thats not the case here!!!

Second Honeymoon
03-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Either way, I'll still watch the Texans play because the represent this city. And win or loose, atleast we have a team. They can start whoever they like till one of us is the owner and can decide differently.:victory:

translation: i am a homer. i will support the owner's stupid decisions irregardless of whether I agree with them or not, for the sole reason that they play in the same city as me.

flawed logic but par for the course round these parts.....

HoustonFrog
03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Here is what will happen and the haters will jump all over this(not that I care).

Carr plays in 07 and we loose...complain worse then now.

Carr plays in 07 and we win...they will act like they loved him all along.

Haters are a simple type, they support the winner, not the team as a whole.

I sure am seeing alot of "new" people who are so keen on attacking people. Talk about simple..lol

First of all, I'll go through this again. If you are in this thread just for the basis of telling people they are "haters" then you aren't mature enough to have a civil conversation regarding sports or anything else for that matter. If you objectively look at this board, with a few exceptions, there are alot more posts like this where someone throws out completely off base assertions concerning what Carr has done only to have people crawl out of the woodworks to name call.

Secondly, most of the so called "haters" don't hate Carr. Most are adding up the things happening and making an informed decision regarding the TEAM. Remember this is a team not a group of guys whose whole goal is to support the QB. The GM and owner aren't sitting there deciding everything based on one player. If people want a real TEAM and they aren't selfish, they would see the big picture(guy on the trade block, teammates not happy, city not happy, losing team). BTW, it is losers not loosers.

Lastly, if people were REAL CARR fans they would want him the heck out of here. Most that sit here and rant and attack are people who selfishly want him to stay for the sole fact of IF he does do well they want to say "I told you so" despite 5 years of nothing. If you want him supported and playing well why want him with this organization, which is showing no love right now?He'd have alot more support elsewhere.

There can be a win/win situation. Just grow up and stop acting like a middle schoolers who didn't get picked for dodge ball. These rants and generalization show much more about you than your support. I've seen almost everyone here have civil discourse, so why say these things. We are are here for a reason, to debate what is going on with the team. There were alot of people who had these same fights about Charlie last year and that guy left us holding the bag. Blind support without thought is dangerous.

HoustonFrog
03-17-2007, 09:49 AM
translation: i am a homer. i will support the owner's stupid decisions irregardless of whether I agree with them or not, for the sole reason that they play in the same city as me.

flawed logic but par for the course round these parts.....

Agreed. You can't sit back and just wait for things to happen. If an owner and team makes money and sells out despite the product then it is really a sad situation.

Vinny
03-17-2007, 09:54 AM
It is just weird to see fans that are so much bigger fans of an individual player than a fan of the team. To keep rolling out some chump because you think he is cute, or you think he is sweet, or you love Jesus just like he does is all cool and stuff, but are you guys fans of the Texans? I'd bet you guys will disappear as soon as Carr is gone. All the guys you slam and call "haters" will be here because we love the team more than we love any one player. We aren't going anywhere.

ArlingtonTexan
03-17-2007, 10:04 AM

I am not Carr hater, but a realist, so I plan to go the same sports bar and spend $15-$40 bucks a week to watch the same inconsistent, average boring player frustrate the heck out of me, while hoping that we win despite him.

MojoMan
03-17-2007, 10:35 AM
if Carr stays i'm OK with it as long as he has to really fight to earn the starting job and if he doesn't perform he is replaced

Brevity is indeed the sole of wit.

Well said, Freedoggy!

thunderkyss
03-17-2007, 10:42 AM
I think it's a good What if...

What if David is gone next year, and we still end up 6-10??

Forget about what David MIGHT do on another team(most likely in another country, because he can't do crap in the NFL)...

But if we go 6-10 without David, what might be some of the reasons?? We should be past new coach... new Coordinators. We've got Sherman, and Frank Bush(the guy Kubiak originally wanted).

Will it be because of injury to A.J.?? A poor running game that we can't depend on(I think we rushed for 100 yards or more in at least 9 games). Poor Pass defense?? Poor defense against the run?? Poor special teams??

Basically, other than the QB, what is our biggest weakness??

MojoMan
03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Some people here are so overcome with emotion on this issue that they seem to be suggesting that "anyone but David Carr" should be the QB next year.

I think Ryan Leaf is available. How about him?

Jwwillis
03-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I like the board the way it is, as there is some good intelligent football stuff and then there is the 'Comedy Central' stuff that really puts things in perspective...just when you've heard one of the same Carr excuses for the millionth time, a poster comes a long and gives a new/different spin on David's 'play.'

Really, if Carr leaves Houston it's going to get kinda lonely around here--what are we going to talk about? Intelligent and factual football talk will only go so far, so bring on the fictional Carr talk to fill in the 'empty' spots. OK, so maybe David has a 'few' football problems on the field...doesn't mean we have to ignore him...

Thats easy! They will bash the NEW QB if he doesn't win a SB. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

steelbtexan
03-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Carr has lost other players faith in him.That is why he needs to be traded. The Q.B. should be a leader on the team. He ia not a guy that inspires his teammates. Personally I think he is a great person but not the right guy to lead this team. STATISICS BE DAMNED !!!!!!!!

Mr. White
03-17-2007, 11:11 AM
They will keep whining about it.

And others will whine about the whining.

HoustonFrog
03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Some people here are so overcome with emotion on this issue that they seem to be suggesting that "anyone but David Carr" should be the QB next year.

No but some think that you can build the pefect offense around a Ryan Leaf and go to the SB.

HoustonFrog
03-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Ah, gee guys.. This is the Houston Texans. Our QB is David Carr. Our owner and Team is the Houston Texans. You think this is a sad situation.. boo, hoo poor babies. I feel were getting on the right track, money, and effort is being made. Yeah, that makes me a homer.. Then crown me a homer. You feel the owner is making stupid decisions. Then hit the door. His money, his team and his effort. All you fantasy owner's can blame one guy. We feel the whole team wins or loses together. Our owner is the best owner this town has ever had. Get use to it, or get another team. :texan:

Thanks for Exhibit A to my post on pg 1. Your honor, I rest my case.

OzzO
03-17-2007, 12:59 PM
what do all the Carr haters plan on doing, IF Carr stays and plays in Houston in 2007??.

Not a "hater", but I'll hope that the FO improved the team enough around whichever QB won the preseason competition to be over .500 for the first time and hope they feel Carr's contract extension was worth it in relation to the preformance recieved.

Still here for the duration. Does your 50% take out the other "VY posters" that came and left last preseason? Also, do you have a link or facts concerning the 50% U-haul inquiries? :joker:

I'm sure a few on the board will take the latter path - whichever side of the opinions they stand on.

NATHANHALE
03-17-2007, 03:45 PM
And others will whine about the whining.

...true, but I bet we don't get a bunch of 'wagoneers' who open new handles on a daily basis so they can 'gush' unearned praises on their leader, whose known by his nick name--"excuses."

Think about it--our 'team' has 50+ players--all but 1 of these players exist on the 'team' without a fan base that doesn't defend their 'play' on the field. How do they do that? NFL players that can actually produce results because it's their job--you know, what you get paid for--without seeing their name in print every day...

But, the odds gotta be moving in Carr's favor...I mean, surely he won't go down in NFL History as the 'longest' playing starter that never had a winning season, never played in the play-offs, and-most important-had a fan base that could make excuses for his 'poor' performance faster than he could execute them...maybe they have a pre-game meal/meeting together...

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I agree I'm a Texans fan to the core, and don't really care who starts at QB because I believe we will improve as a team with another good draft. I think you build a winning team with defense and a good running game. I think with another draft we could be in that league of football teams. IMO once we improve in other areas of the team the QB situation will take care of itself.I would love to have a team that all it needed is a QB but thats not the case here!!!

Well, I believe the QB situation is holding us back and making the entire team look worse than it is. That doesn't mean I don't think we need to improve in many areas of the team but a team with a QB who is playing poorly is going to play poorly regardless of how good they are.

I believe that even with a great running game and a great defense, if our QB play continues to be at the level it was at the end of last season, we're going to lose a lot of games. Our defense and running game won several games for us last year. And I'm not saying that we have to do a lot to improve our QB performance. I don't think it's going to cost us much to get better play from that position. We can still concentrate on building our defense and our running game and just open up the QB position to competition and hold the QB responsible for his play.

That's all I'm asking. If you don't perform, you get benched and we try someone else.

TexasAggie
03-17-2007, 04:44 PM
My 2 cents worth nothing to no one but me. I am just sitting here reading this stuff wondering 'What difference does this all make?' Are you a fan of the Texans at 0-16 are at 16-0 when everyone is fan? Sure we all want a winning team because we are proud to be a Texan and/or a Texan fan.

How does a winning season effect you? Some of us earn a living by means that a winning season could improve our ability to make a better living. But for most fans we are here to be entertained. Monday mornings we are up at 4 on the road by 6 at the office/job site by 8 so we can listen to our non-football fan boss dis our team win or lose.

Is not our lives affected more by the tailgate party before the games the fans we sit by during the game and driving thru traffic after the games, that truly affects our lives. Sure we have high emotional swings with wins and losses but at the end of the day, did it really make a difference in our life? Did our bills just up and go away? Did our spouse come back home? Do our kids crawl up into our lap and hug our neck because we are their HERO? Are you your kids Hero?

Football is game and it should not rule our lives. Houston Oilers were a well loved team with a well hated owner. Do you remember the year after year after year when the Oiler's could not buy a winning season? Or do you remember the times they kicked butt and we had some great memories that held us up through the bad times?

Football is great and I love it. I love to watch who the Texans sign or draft and the excitement of a new season and guessing who or what willl make this a better team/organization. But in reality it is life, family and friends that are alot more important and mean a whole lot more to your quality of life than football.

Was that two cents worth? Probably not! :wild: :wheel:

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 04:51 PM

You mean David Carr isn't Ryan Leaf?

If the only way we can win games is to take the air out of the ball like we did in many of the games we won last year, then all we need is someone who can hand the ball off. Why bring anyone in? Cut Carr, let the QB's currently on the staff duke it out. Hell, cut all our QB's and either direct snap to the running back or have Owen Daniels line up behind center. Even if we didn't throw any passes at all, it would be better passing attack than David's -5 yard performance (and a TD given up to the other team).

texas mopar
03-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, I believe the QB situation is holding us back and making the entire team look worse than it is. That doesn't mean I don't think we need to improve in many areas of the team but a team with a QB who is playing poorly is going to play poorly regardless of how good they are.

I believe that even with a great running game and a great defense, if our QB play continues to be at the level it was at the end of last season, we're going to lose a lot of games. Our defense and running game won several games for us last year. And I'm not saying that we have to do a lot to improve our QB performance. I don't think it's going to cost us much to get better play from that position. We can still concentrate on building our defense and our running game and just open up the QB position to competition and hold the QB responsible for his play.

That's all I'm asking. If you don't perform, you get benched and we try someone else.
Did you happen to catch any Chicago games last year, their QB was worse than ours IMO but they made it to the big game. They improve thier QB spot and their very hard to beat. By the way I was in Canton last year and took pictures of DC jersey in the Hall of Fame. (he set and NFL record for the most consective pass comp. ) Just thought that might give the haters something to whine about tonight.

Specnatz
03-17-2007, 04:56 PM
There is a huge differance in hating Carr and wanting him replaced. Individuals like second honeymoon complain at nausea just for the sake of it, without really saying much.

You can not like the decisions of the owner all you want and you can voice that. That is why forums like this have been created, but why act like a 4yr old wanting a toy in the grocery store and throw a tamtrum about it. No need to take the attacks to a personnel level like he does.

I do want a change at the QB position or at the very least to have a fair competition for the starting job. Last year showed me a very uninspired and down trodden person at the helm. But I am not going to attack a certain person personnaly because although I did not like his performance last year, I also feel that for the first 5 years the franchise let not only him down but other players as well as the fans down by not doing more to improve certain aspects of the team.

If he is here then so be it and I will evaluate each game and make my feelings known as the season goes on. Before training camp even gets here I will not pronounce the season lost like certain individuals will.

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Thats easy! They will bash the NEW QB if he doesn't win a SB. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

This isn't about winning and losing. This is about an acceptable level of performance. If the guy can average over 200 yards passing per game and slightly more than 1 TD per game and get less than 11 interceptions, I'd be happy. And that's pretty modest. Last year, Carr got 173 yards per game and 2 TD's every 3 games (although most of his TD's came in the first 3-4 games.)

If Carr goes and we get in a bad QB, then I for one will continue to talk about the bad play from the QB position. If Carr goes and we get a decent QB, then we'll all turn our attention to the next worst player on the team. Right now, our biggest problem (besides QB) is free safety.

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Did you happen to catch any Chicago games last year, their QB was worse than ours IMO but they made it to the big game. They improve thier QB spot and their very hard to beat. By the way I was in Canton last year and took pictures of DC jersey in the Hall of Fame. (he set and NFL record for the most consective pass comp. ) Just thought that might give the haters something to whine about tonight.

You're making my point for me.

Grossman was better than Carr. You might like Carr better but Grossman was easily the better QB. He averaged almost 200 yards per game where Carr only got 173 yards per game. Grossman threw for 23 TD's and Carr only threw for 11. The Bears have a better defense and a better running game than we do. Our team, at this point, cannot afford to have bad play from the QB position. We're just not good enough. We're not going to reach Chicago's level of defense in a year... so we have to have better play from our QB to make up for it. If Chicago improves their QB play, they win the SB. We improve our QB play, and we're contending for the playoffs.

And in that Buffalo game, how many TD's did Carr throw in that 22 consecutive completions? How about closing the deal by completing the 23rd pass that would have sealed the game? When we needed him to make a 3 yard completion, he didn't.

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I do want a change at the QB position or at the very least to have a fair competition for the starting job. Last year showed me a very uninspired and down trodden person at the helm. But I am not going to attack a certain person personnaly because although I did not like his performance last year, I also feel that for the first 5 years the franchise let not only him down but other players as well as the fans down by not doing more to improve certain aspects of the team.

If he is here then so be it and I will evaluate each game and make my feelings known as the season goes on. Before training camp even gets here I will not pronounce the season lost like certain individuals will.

I don't think I've ever attacked Carr personally. I don't hate him. I don't like him. I don't know him.

When I say "he sucks", I mean that from a QB performance perspective. I'm not making any statement about him as a person. I just do not think he's a good QB and I don't think that's because of how bad our line is or how bad our receivers are or how bad our running game is. We are just not getting acceptable performance from that position.

Specnatz
03-17-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't think I've ever attacked Carr personally. I don't hate him. I don't like him. I don't know him.

When I say "he sucks", I mean that from a QB performance perspective. I'm not making any statement about him as a person. I just do not think he's a good QB and I don't think that's because of how bad our line is or how bad our receivers are or how bad our running game is. We are just not getting acceptable performance from that position.

Agreed, but there are some who have gone way over board. In both ways I might add.

bigcarlos
03-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Everyone will still watch and say we should have drafted Vince.:poker:

NATHANHALE
03-17-2007, 10:56 PM

...you know-just a thought-but I'll take the Bears QB's 3200yds and 20+tds even up for Carr's 2700 yds and 11tds...and you don't even have to explain how Carr was better...

...way to go, David, your 'dink and dunkin' finally paid off..course if you could have thrown just 1 td, we'd won the game...

HoustonFrog
03-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Sweet, he'll get his bust there in the future anyways. How could he not. If the committee looks at what he could have done with a great line, an all-pro RB and a great TE and receivers....and the right coaches..there is no way won't get in on potential alone.:rolleyes:Have a great night fellas.

Texas
03-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I will support the team and hope he does a better job.

Navy_Chris
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I will support the team and hope he does a better job.

The sad thing is that even if the Texans took Brandon Frye in the 1st round this year, there would still be a bunch of naive Texan fans waving those good ol' Chronicle made signs saying something like "Super Frye" or some **** like that.

TexansSB07
03-17-2007, 11:31 PM
My 2 cents worth nothing to no one but me. I am just sitting here reading this stuff wondering 'What difference does this all make?' Are you a fan of the Texans at 0-16 are at 16-0 when everyone is fan? Sure we all want a winning team because we are proud to be a Texan and/or a Texan fan.

How does a winning season effect you? Some of us earn a living by means that a winning season could improve our ability to make a better living. But for most fans we are here to be entertained. Monday mornings we are up at 4 on the road by 6 at the office/job site by 8 so we can listen to our non-football fan boss dis our team win or lose.

Is not our lives affected more by the tailgate party before the games the fans we sit by during the game and driving thru traffic after the games, that truly affects our lives. Sure we have high emotional swings with wins and losses but at the end of the day, did it really make a difference in our life? Did our bills just up and go away? Did our spouse come back home? Do our kids crawl up into our lap and hug our neck because we are their HERO? Are you your kids Hero?

Football is game and it should not rule our lives. Houston Oilers were a well loved team with a well hated owner. Do you remember the year after year after year when the Oiler's could not buy a winning season? Or do you remember the times they kicked butt and we had some great memories that held us up through the bad times?

Football is great and I love it. I love to watch who the Texans sign or draft and the excitement of a new season and guessing who or what willl make this a better team/organization. But in reality it is life, family and friends that are alot more important and mean a whole lot more to your quality of life than football.

Was that two cents worth? Probably not! :wild: :wheel:

PRICELESS I would say, but well written and clearly given a great deal of thought and feeling. Do I live and die with team, YES but not literally..I do it because in 2000 I saw a man I had no idea who he was say he wanted to bring NFL to Houston and to Texas.

Will Texans winning a Super Bowl make my life better, NO not 1 bit but I will feel proud that people I love and support gave everything they had to achieve a goal. See that's what we do achieve a goal, we make money to pay bills and keep our lives going. Football is a fun way of relaxing and letting off steam, I could not tell you who the projected top 10 picks are. I could care less, because what if Brady Quinn is not selected by Texans will his wonderlic/4.3 40 time mean anything to my team....NO (resoundingly)

I look at draft to see who we pick and then await to see their efforts in season, I for one thought Demeco Ryans would be a good backup. So hopefully Texans not waiting for my next genius move....LOL, I love the Texans good or bad, I just hate that we are so polarized by a dislike/love for 1 player. TEAM is a 53-man word not 1 player word

SamuraiSword
03-17-2007, 11:43 PM
...you know-just a thought-but I'll take the Bears QB's 3200yds and 20+tds even up for Carr's 2700 yds and 11tds...and you don't even have to explain how Carr was better...

...way to go, David, your 'dink and dunkin' finally paid off..course if you could have thrown just 1 td, we'd won the game...

The only time david's dink and dunk passes will pay off is when he joins the arena football league. :dance2:

MATRIX
03-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Speaking of the Arena League...their are a couple QBs playing their who MIGHT not be that bad in the NFL. Warner was one thing, but some of them have good size, speed, and read a D, check off well, are acurate, great touch, pocket pressence is good. Why not take a peek if they do dump Carr. Never know what you may find.

*cough* Warner *coug* Brady *cough*

Nobody would of reamed either was good...till they showed it.

Specnatz
03-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Speaking of the Arena League...their are a couple QBs playing their who MIGHT not be that bad in the NFL. Warner was one thing, but some of them have good size, speed, and read a D, check off well, are acurate, great touch, pocket pressence is good. Why not take a peek if they do dump Carr. Never know what you may find.

*cough* Warner *coug* Brady *cough*

Nobody would of reamed either was good...till they showed it.

Yeah exactly that is why Adrian McPherson QB 6-3 218 is playing there now, hoping to be redicovered.

MATRIX
03-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah exactly that is why Adrian McPherson QB 6-3 218 is playing there now, hoping to be redicovered.

Did I list anyone? No...just a thought.:wheel: :this:

Specnatz
03-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Hey I was thinking about listing Shaun King for chits and giggles only.

Relax it is all in fun.

Jwwillis
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
This isn't about winning and losing. This is about an acceptable level of performance. If the guy can average over 200 yards passing per game and slightly more than 1 TD per game and get less than 11 interceptions, I'd be happy. And that's pretty modest. Last year, Carr got 173 yards per game and 2 TD's every 3 games (although most of his TD's came in the first 3-4 games.)

If Carr goes and we get in a bad QB, then I for one will continue to talk about the bad play from the QB position. If Carr goes and we get a decent QB, then we'll all turn our attention to the next worst player on the team. Right now, our biggest problem (besides QB) is free safety.

You gotta be kidding me? So if our QB, regardless of who, achieves the above stats and wins 2 games you are cool with it? Yea right! "This isn't about winning and losing." funniest thing ive read in a while.

El Amigo Invisible
03-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Everyone will still watch and say we should have drafted Vince.:poker:

True.:joker:

The Pencil Neck
03-18-2007, 12:24 PM
You gotta be kidding me? So if our QB, regardless of who, achieves the above stats and wins 2 games you are cool with it? Yea right! "This isn't about winning and losing." funniest thing ive read in a while.

Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is a team game. Winning and losing doesn't fall entirely on the QB's shoulders. If we get good performance from the QB position and continue to lose, I won't be asking for the QB's head because we didn't lose because of him, we lost because of someone else. If we win but the QB continues to play poorly, I will continue to ask for the QB's head. Just like the Bears fans are doing with Grossman and like the Ravens did with Dilfer and the Buccs did with Johnson.

Jwwillis
03-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is a team game. Winning and losing doesn't fall entirely on the QB's shoulders. If we get good performance from the QB position and continue to lose, I won't be asking for the QB's head because we didn't lose because of him, we lost because of someone else. If we win but the QB continues to play poorly, I will continue to ask for the QB's head. Just like the Bears fans are doing with Grossman and like the Ravens did with Dilfer and the Buccs did with Johnson.

Then we will agree to disagree.

You would rather have a losing QB that looks good. and I'd rather have a QB that looks bad but goes to the SB. Give me Grossman and a SB over Farve and no playoffs anyday. "Just win baby!"

The Pencil Neck
03-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Then we will agree to disagree.

You would rather have a losing QB that looks good. and I'd rather have a QB that looks bad but goes to the SB. Give me Grossman and a SB over Farve and no playoffs anyday. "Just win baby!"

If you were the Bears GM and you had a chance to get a better QB, would you? Or would you stick with the guy that put you in positions that required heroic plays by your defense and special teams to win the game? I'd upgrade the QB position if at all possible. That would just make the team as a whole better and give me a chance to WIN a SB instead of just playing in one.

The QB doesn't make tackles, the QB doesn't run the ball, the QB doesn't call the plays. This isn't saying that bad play by the QB won't lose games, it will if the rest of your team isn't good enough to make up for it. The Bears were good enough to make up for it last year and the Texans weren't. I consider Grossman better than Carr but not because his team won and our team lost but because overall he played better than Carr. (Although he still had some spectacularly bad games.)

afcman
03-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I'll take Carr over Grossman, thank you. My biggest gripe was always with Casserly and Capers (and the owner). I feel like last year we did a little clean up and now we're on version 2. Looking forward to this next season.

Kubiak has shown that he'll pull Carr and that's a good sign. We could do a lot worse than Carr, but I'm ready for a change. Either a change in QB's or a change in Carr's play. One or the other HAS to happen.

texas mopar
03-18-2007, 03:39 PM
If you were the Bears GM and you had a chance to get a better QB, would you? Or would you stick with the guy that put you in positions that required heroic plays by your defense and special teams to win the game? I'd upgrade the QB position if at all possible. That would just make the team as a whole better and give me a chance to WIN a SB instead of just playing in one.

The QB doesn't make tackles, the QB doesn't run the ball, the QB doesn't call the plays. This isn't saying that bad play by the QB won't lose games, it will if the rest of your team isn't good enough to make up for it. The Bears were good enough to make up for it last year and the Texans weren't. I consider Grossman better than Carr but not because his team won and our team lost but because overall he played better than Carr. (Although he still had some spectacularly bad games.)

I disgree with Grossman being better than DC but there isn't a whole lot of difference IMO ,but Grossman is giving the better running game and less pressure to throw and defense that can cover make up for any mistakes by the offense. I believe when we have a solid running game our offense will come around no matter who's QB. Thats why I keep getting tried of all the talk of QB. I said it before and will keep saying it, the game is won and lost at the line ,you control the line both def. or off. you are going to win the game 90% of the time. You make the opp. def. fear your running game and they will back off of the QB. You make the opp.off. fear your def. line pressure and they will make the bad mistakes that we seem to make,I'm not as much a Carr homer or whatever as i am aTexan fan tired of everybody acting as if there is only one problem with this team. I do believe that DC is going to be our QB for atleast one more year and if we have a good draft I'm fine with that.

Jwwillis
03-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I disgree with Grossman being better than DC but there isn't a whole lot of difference IMO ,but Grossman is giving the better running game and less pressure to throw and defense that can cover make up for any mistakes by the offense. I believe when we have a solid running game our offense will come around no matter who's QB. Thats why I keep getting tried of all the talk of QB. I said it before and will keep saying it, the game is won and lost at the line ,you control the line both def. or off. you are going to win the game 90% of the time. You make the opp. def. fear your running game and they will back off of the QB. You make the opp.off. fear your def. line pressure and they will make the bad mistakes that we seem to make,I'm not as much a Carr homer or whatever as i am aTexan fan tired of everybody acting as if there is only one problem with this team. I do believe that DC is going to be our QB for atleast one more year and if we have a good draft I'm fine with that.

I agree absolutly. Some here want change just for change sake. Some will say, "This is a team game. Winning and losing doesn't fall entirely on the QB's shoulders. " and then "..I just do not think (Carr is) a good QB and I don't think that's because of how bad our line is or how bad our receivers are or how bad our running game is." in the same breath. Fact is there are MANY areas that need improvment. Perhaps not having one of the worst Defenses and O-lines in the league would help more than replacing ONE player with a lateral QB move.

The Pencil Neck
03-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Well, our running game coming around in the second half of the season didn't help our passing game last year. That's one reason I don't agree that fixing our running game is going to automatically help out our passing game.

I don't think anyone's saying that QB is our only position where we have a problem; it's just a disagreement over whether the QB position is a problem and what should be done about it if it is. I think everyone acknowledges that our offensive line is at best below average. Our defensive line needs to get more pressure and do a better job stopping the run. Our LB's need to play better. Our secondary has serious problems at the free safety and CB. Our running game needs to be more consistent and better.

The TE position is fine. I don't think we can say bad things about the WR's quite yet. And I'm fine with FB if we re-sign Leach.

I'm expecting this FO to do a good job in FA and in the draft. I just want the QB position to be open to competition and if someone doesn't perform well, I want the coach to have the ability to bench that QB and put someone else in there and have that someone else start. I want the coach to be able to put a team on the field that gives us the best chance of winning.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

The Pencil Neck
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree absolutly. Some here want change just for change sake. Some will say, "This is a team game. Winning and losing doesn't fall entirely on the QB's shoulders. " and then "..I just do not think (Carr is) a good QB and I don't think that's because of how bad our line is or how bad our receivers are or how bad our running game is." in the same breath. Fact is there are MANY areas that need improvment. Perhaps not having one of the worst Defenses and O-lines in the league would help more than replacing ONE player with a lateral QB move.

You're the guy that wants to judge a QB on winning and losing? Why do you care how the QB performs? According to your logic, we should be looking for a winning QB because Carr is a losing QB. You shouldn't even be in a conversation about QB performance.

If Carr is getting plenty of time with open receivers and he double clutches the ball and starts looking around like he's lost and then gets sacked, that's not the line's fault. If the pocket starts to collapse and you curl up in a ball to protect yourself instead of throwing the ball, that's not the line's fault. If you take a three step drop and don't throw the ball when your back foot hits and you get sacked, that's not the line's fault. If you throw the ball behind the receiver, that's not the receivers fault. If you stare at the same receiver the whole time you're dropping back and then someone steps in front of him and intercepts the ball, that's not the reciever's fault.

I know this is hard to understand but... you really can look at what the QB does and judge him on it. When Carr had time to throw, open recievers, and a running game, how did he perform? He didn't.

Do we have other problems? Yes. If we fix those other problems, will we be a winning team? Only if every other position on the team is pro-bowl caliber and I got news, we're not going to get to that point. So we need a QB that performs even when everything isn't perfect because... nothing is ever perfect.

OldEagle1
03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
When the monumental goof of not picking Vince Young or Reggie Bush was comitted by Casserly, Carrs fate here was essentially sealed. The same front office that failed horribly on the Boselli debacle, and failed to put together an offensive line, and failed making a decent defense, should be the real target for the haters. DC never really had a chance, and can never be VY, no matter what. I just wished poeple using David for a lightning rod would stop. I have said before, Houston treats some felons better than DC. How very sad.

aj.
03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I have said before, Houston treats some felons better than DC.

And in case you were wondering, that comment is even more stupid the second time around.

afcman
03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah, we could've fixed our running or QB issues last year and we didn't. And what do we need THIS year? Again? :wheel: :)