PDA

View Full Version : Texans re-sign RB Ron Dayne

03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4638490.html

The Texans re-signed veteran running back Ron Dayne on Friday. He will return for his second season with the Texans as a situational back. Newly acquired free agent Ahman Green is slated to be the starter.

Dayne, 29, started six games for the Texans last season and finished with 612 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

03-16-2007, 07:40 PM
good move... now we need to lock up leach.

BattleRedToro
03-16-2007, 07:51 PM

Agreed. :wild:

TexanFan881
03-16-2007, 07:54 PM
This is a pretty good offseason if we can just re-sign Leach :thumbup I love this move. The only question now is who do we keep on the roster?

I say:
Ahman Green
Ron Dayne
Chris Taylor
Wali Lundy

AtheGreat
03-16-2007, 08:10 PM
i'm liking it too. have a 2 guys you can depend on to carry the ball is always good. Dayne on the 3rd down/ goalline type stuff and green the rest of the time. sounds like a good way to keep Green from running out of gas/ and getting injured.

give me leech too, and i'll call it good Rick! (hamlin would be nice too) :yahoo:

Dunta_23
03-16-2007, 08:11 PM
This is a pretty good offseason if we can just re-sign Leach :thumbup I love this move. The only question now is who do we keep on the roster?

I say:
Ahman Green
Ron Dayne
Chris Taylor
Wali Lundy

Ahman Green
Adrian Peterson
Ron Dayne
Wali Lundy

Chris Taylor-Practice Squad

thunderkyss
03-16-2007, 08:11 PM
With Ahman Green, Lundy, Gado & Taylor I was thinking.... "meh... we might pick up Peterson anyway"

But now, I don't know.

CoachJim
03-16-2007, 08:13 PM
:confused: What am I missin here ... I was under the impression he signed with someone else, Eagles-Giants or summthin like that.

freedoggy77
03-16-2007, 08:13 PM
this morning I read that he was a Philadelphia Eagle...

BattleRedToro
03-16-2007, 08:16 PM
this morning I read that he was a Philadelphia Eagle...

Yes you read that, but it was incorrect.

HJam72
03-16-2007, 08:18 PM

Agreed. :wild:

Agreed again. :texflag:

tulexan
03-16-2007, 08:29 PM
With Ahman Green, Lundy, Gado & Taylor I was thinking.... "meh... we might pick up Peterson anyway"

But now, I don't know.

We'll still take Peterson if available. Gado and Lundy are expendable and we don't know the details of Dayne's contract yet. If he was signed as a situational back, which the Chronicle said was the case, he could be cut during training camp if we get Peterson.

MATRIX
03-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Ahman Green
Adrian Peterson
Ron Dayne
Wali Lundy

Taylor has mre ability than you give him credit for.

Lundy would be practice squad or the 4th RB in that situation. Anyone wondering if we didn't secure Leach yet because we could use Dayne or Gado as a FB in most situations. And if as you state we draft AP, then that wouldbe lethal to always have 2 legit RBs on the feild(one as a FB). Nobody would have a clue who would get the ball in a split back fomation.

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-16-2007, 08:52 PM
With the signing of Dayne, I believe that we will select Landry at #8 or trade down to pick up Kali or Brown.

Dunta_23
03-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Taylor has mre ability than you give him credit for.

Lundy would be practice squad or the 4th RB in that situation. Anyone wondering if we didn't secure Leach yet because we could use Dayne or Gado as a FB in most situations. And if as you state we draft AP, then that wouldbe lethal to always have 2 legit RBs on the feild(one as a FB). Nobody would have a clue who would get the ball in a split back fomation.

He was on the practice squad last year instead of being in the lineup over Lundy/Gado...why would this year be any different.

HuttoKarl
03-16-2007, 08:58 PM
He was on the practice squad last year instead of being in the lineup over Lundy/Gado...why would this year be any different.

People think it'll be different because he had an OK game against the crappy browns rush defense.

Hervoyel
03-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm relieved. I know that there's a big slice of this message board that doesn't think Dayne is, was, or ever will be the answer to anyones question at RB but I respectfully disagree. I worry that Ahman Green will turn into another Texans FA signing that looked good when it happened but turned out to be wasted millions for someone who doesn't perform in our uniform.

I hope I'm wrong about that. I hope Green has a couple of good years left in him. If I'm not wrong about Green then it's nice to see that we have someone who IMO can carry the rock full time and get it done.

aproberts03
03-16-2007, 09:20 PM
im glad they resigned him..we got a good backfield for next season

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Alright!! I'm really happy...I too hope we can resign leech...this was a good offseason imo.

Dayne and Green still don't have an effect on our draft. They are great sign/resignings but don't exclude Peterson if he's there. It gives us more options if we want to trade down if he's there..or take him seeing how neither green or dayne are our franchise back. But it does get us by this season and next if we take BPA and continue building our team.

keyfro
03-16-2007, 09:34 PM
good it's done with...now let's focus our attention on keeping leach...with dayne back it creates good competition for our runningback corp and ensures us a good back up in case green goes down...it also pushes the need to draft a RB down but i still believe if AP is there we take him

still i would like to see us secure leach...re-sign the rest of our guys...maybe add one or two more veterans who aren't well into their 30's and head into the draft full of hope

the wonger need food
03-16-2007, 10:07 PM

So many things wrong with this post... where do I start...

1.) Lundy is not eligible for the practice squad.
2.) Dayne and/or Gado will never be used as a FB.
3.) Adrian Peterson's nickname is "AD", not "AP".
4.) A split formation. That's almost as funny as the rest of this post.

painekiller
03-16-2007, 10:11 PM
i'm liking it too. have a 2 guys you can depend on to carry the ball is always good. Dayne on the 3rd down/ goalline type stuff and green the rest of the time. sounds like a good way to keep Green from running out of gas/ and getting injured.

give me leech too, and i'll call it good Rick! (hamlin would be nice too) :yahoo:

I see it more as Green in the 1st half and Dayne in the 4th quarter.

Texizgreat
03-16-2007, 10:16 PM
So do ya'll think come June 1 DD/DW will be gone now? :joker:

:sarcasm:

TexansSB07
03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4638490.html

The Texans re-signed veteran running back Ron Dayne on Friday. He will return for his second season with the Texans as a situational back. Newly acquired free agent Ahman Green is slated to be the starter.

Dayne, 29, started six games for the Texans last season and finished with 612 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

WOW Chron got that story, must have picked it up off wire service. Those morons still have Zgonina and Texans close to deal story, I sent an email asking if they plan to mention Colts won Super Bowl last month as their next big headline ROFLMAO

TwinSisters
03-16-2007, 10:18 PM

it would be pretty cool if they start running a T or wishbone. Pendry called it a few times when all else was failing.

MATRIX
03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
People think it'll be different because he had an OK game against the crappy browns rush defense.

Or the fact that I feel Lundy and Taylor are both just needing time to become great. I just feel Taylor has more upside right now.

South Texan
03-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Whew. Glad they got him back, hopefully for something afordable. Let's hope it works out with Leach too.

I think we may see Green/Dayne splitting possessions early to see who has the other D's number that day. Go to Taylor once in a while to get him more experience and Lundy if need be.

I think Petterson is not in the plans, look for either Landry or Levi Brown as the first pick depending on the lastest situation with Spencer right before draft time. Even if Landy get's away, there appear to be a lot of decent CB's and Safties in the mix this year. Things are looking up!

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2007, 11:59 PM
The dayne train's coming back to houston!!!

i think we will draft Quinn/Landry/or DL with our 1st pick. just a gut feeling.

valleytexfan
03-17-2007, 01:04 AM
I like this!!! I really wanted Ronnie Dayne to come back...now we definitely MUST resign Vonta....it's a MUST!!!!:superman:

scourge
03-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Ahman Green
Adrian Peterson
Ron Dayne
Wali Lundy

Chris Taylor > Wali Lundy

dirty steve
03-17-2007, 01:15 AM
So many things wrong with this post... where do I start...

1.) Lundy is not eligible for the practice squad.
2.) Dayne and/or Gado will never be used as a FB.
3.) Adrian Peterson's nickname is "AD", not "AP".
ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap- ap-

freaking nickname police. get over it.

Texas_Thrill
03-17-2007, 01:34 AM
freaking nickname police. get over it.

yea i gotta agree who cares. AP AD.

i think we can officially say he's out of our mix.

this definitely opens up more possibility for say a levi brown or landry.

Stros5Texans80
03-17-2007, 01:38 AM
I personally think this opens up Quinn. If AP is still there, I think we take him though. We need young fresh talent and will find a way for him to get his job done.

Back to Quinn, I feel with this signing that it makes it almost certain. The defense can hold over for a while. Just need some technique issues.

Runner
03-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Good.

Cruuuuuuuz
03-17-2007, 01:58 AM

That is the best news I heard all day! We are SET at RB...
WE NEED LEACH!
If DD/DW works out...great! but if not...ok....
1st pick has gotta be either OL or Secondary.......

bckey
03-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Great signing. Dayne has proven he can run behind our OL.

kiwitexansfan
03-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Another good signing.

Leach needs to be back.

As for what it means for the draft, I think it means nothing. I really think that Smith will take the BPA no matter who it is. Is there really a position on the field that couldn't do with a talent upgrade??

whiskeyrbl
03-17-2007, 06:10 AM
I agree this was a good move getting Dayne back, and like most everyone on the board I think it is a no-brainer we need to resign Leech.

royce1054
03-17-2007, 06:12 AM
I think this pretty much seals the deal with Landry. It has been the position that we need most and the only part that has not been addressed other than CB. Unless we sign someone soon (which i doubt) could mean Landry was our target from the start. If AP or AD who cares falls i think we trade the pick to the highest bidder and pick up more picks. I am happy Dayne was reigned i think him and Green will be a good duo.

Malloy
03-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Is this a 1-year contract ?

Oh, and by the way, I'm happy with Dayne coming back :)

Andrew6
03-17-2007, 06:51 AM
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
This Signing makes me very happy
Join the Dayne Train

HuttoKarl
03-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I just hope we don't have to use him much...I can't take another LT's broken leg.

nunusguy
03-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I dunno, but are the Texans establishing an AARP headquarters here in Houston ?
We've now got Green "AND" Dayne, so is there gonna be any room for the youngsters like Taylor & Lundy to get on the field, get some reps, and get
some experience for the sake of development and the furutre of the Texans
rushing game ?

Vinny
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm relieved. I know that there's a big slice of this message board that doesn't think Dayne is, was, or ever will be the answer to anyones question at RB but I respectfully disagree. I worry that Ahman Green will turn into another Texans FA signing that looked good when it happened but turned out to be wasted millions for someone who doesn't perform in our uniform.

I hope I'm wrong about that. I hope Green has a couple of good years left in him. If I'm not wrong about Green then it's nice to see that we have someone who IMO can carry the rock full time and get it done.

Morency did have a better yards per carry average than Green did last year so that is a definite red flag. That said, I too think that Green is at the edge of his career but rbbc will happen here and he won't have to carry the full load. The only way the Green signing blows up is if he is constantly injured. Otherwise, he still has game....but probably not as a back outside of a rbbc type situation.

Vinny
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I dunno, but are the Texans establishing an AARP headquarters here in Houston ?
We've now got Green "AND" Dayne, so is there gonna be any room for the youngsters like Taylor & Lundy to get on the field, get some reps, and get
some experience for the sake of development and the furutre of the Texans
rushing game ?nah, running backs are a "right now" position. You don't stock this position for "the future" as much as you stock it for "right now".

nunusguy
03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
nah, running backs are a "right now" position. You don't stock this position for "the future" as much as you stock it for "right now".

Well I'd rather have a youngster out there like Taylor "right now" who can not only run inside but bounce it to the outside and around end,
instead of having an old codger corps totally dominate playing time at RB "right now".

Vinny
03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Well I'd rather have a youngster out there like Taylor "right now" who can not only run inside but bounce it to the outside and around end,
instead of having an old codger corps totally dominate playing time at RB "right now".
I don't care how old the player is as long as he performs. I bet Taylor isn't on the active roster week 1

nunusguy
03-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't care how old the player is as long as he performs. I bet Taylor isn't on the active roster week 1
I don't either, except there's this reality of the aging process and it is
well know that when players, especially running backs, get into their late 20s
and beyond they "lose a step".
Regarding Taylor making the final roster, I wouldn't necessarily argue with you about that because as you know "backs are a dime a dozen" and we can
very possibly pick up another young college guy with some foot speed this year without even using a Draft pick, just as we did Taylor. In other words,
Taylor is very expendable.
But with some money tied up in the slow-a-foot codger brigade, it will be tough for the youngsters to see the field.

HuttoKarl
03-17-2007, 10:23 AM

b.b.but....Taylor ran for almost 100 yards vs. the Browns vaunted defense. How could he NOT be our future???

:yahoo: :dance2: :joker:

MojoMan
03-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I hope that no one really believes that the depth chart for the RB position (or any position for that matter) has been set at this point. I think Dayne looked fantastic in the last part of the season last year, and he could certainly end up as the Texan's starter. I suspect that the Texans will draft a RB at some point, and then Kubiak will let them all battle it out in training camp for playing time.

TexansFanatic
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow! What a pleasant surprise. I was really disappointed when I heard Dayne had signed with the Eagles. Glad that turned out to be false. I grew to like that old bowling ball late last season...

keyfro
03-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I hope that no one really believes that the depth chart for the RB position (or any position for that matter) has been set at this point. I think Dayne looked fantastic in the last part of the season last year, and he could certainly end up as the Texan's starter. I suspect that the Texans will draft a RB at some point, and then Kubiak will let them all battle it out in training camp for playing time.

exactly for all we know taylor might come in during training camp and lite it up and kubiak might want to see him in an increased role...i think it's obvious that green is our starter but that doesn't mean the 2, 3, and 4 spots have been set...those are all up for grabs and let the best back win

blockhead83
03-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm happy with this signing. Dayne proved he can be a tough runner for us, it's gonna be nice having him back in our rotation. It'll be interesting to see if we draft any backs in rounds 2-4 or if we're going to stick with Taylor/Gado/Lundy.

thunderkyss
03-17-2007, 01:16 PM
From what I understand, Taylor was inactive mostly because of a fumbling problem. He's never had a problem "lighting it up"

jvaldez1984
03-17-2007, 01:16 PM

did you not see him play? he should be no further down than 3 on the depth chart.

keyfro
03-17-2007, 01:23 PM
if taylor can cure his fumbling problem he probably will be...i think we might try and keep 4 RB's on the roster next year with green injury background along with dayne's there is no reason to only keep 3...if we re-sign leach then we probably will not keep cook

i'm thinking opening day depth chart probably looks like this:

1. green 2. dayne 3. taylor 4. lundy

with leach the only fullback on the roster

TexansLucky13
03-17-2007, 01:25 PM
did you not see him play? he should be no further down than 3 on the depth chart.

I honestly would like to have Taylor stick around. I think Kubiak will give him most of the preseason.

potisyourfriend
03-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Another old RB.. Where's the old QB to go along with it? Waiting to hear we signed Drew B..

1. Green
2. Taylor
3. Lundy

TheRealJoker
03-18-2007, 01:22 AM
EXCELLENT!!!

Barring injury, we are set at RB this year atleast. Now we just have to sort out the passing game and our offense will be able to hold its own :dance2:

Malloy
03-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Morency did have a better yards per carry average than Green did last year so that is a definite red flag. That said, I too think that Green is at the edge of his career but rbbc will happen here and he won't have to carry the full load. The only way the Green signing blows up is if he is constantly injured. Otherwise, he still has game....but probably not as a back outside of a rbbc type situation.

argh, don't bring up the morency thing, I'm still rather grumpy that we lost him.

As to the whole Green-is-old talk (not directed at you Vin). Of course he WILL lose a step at some point, will it be this season, will it be the next season, or has he already lost that step? This is the thing with all sports, you never know when change will take place. Players get old and lose 'steps' (they get more experienced too, a tradeoff I believe), players regress/progress in new systems, players get injured, both young and old, and players end their careers for personal reasons. My point is, there are often too many unknowns as to what will happen (actually there's NOTHING but unknowns in regards to the future), and trying to predict them can often lead to unpleasent results. Sometimes you might even WANT your RB to lose a step, he might just hit the hole at the perfect time :)

For me, it's all about coaching, good coaches know how to utilize the assets of their players rather than to put them i situations where their weak spots are exposed. If the coaching is good, players like Jerry Rice and The Bus can be productive long after they lose a step. With good coaching, Ahman Green can bring alot of upside to a team, and barring many of the unknowns, he will have a positive impact on this team.

Maddict5
03-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Somewhere Charles Spencer cries a little....

no im glad we got him really..now it looks like landry or quinn in the draft

wolfscar
03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
if taylor can cure his fumbling problem he probably will be...i think we might try and keep 4 RB's on the roster next year with green injury background along with dayne's there is no reason to only keep 3...if we re-sign leach then we probably will not keep cook

i'm thinking opening day depth chart probably looks like this:

1. green 2. dayne 3. taylor 4. lundy

with leach the only fullback on the roster

I agree with all of that excpet Green's injury background. I don't know where people are getting this from - he's not injury prone. By RB standards he's been pretty durable.

And I really don't think we have any need to worry about Morency's higher YPC last year or Ahman's age. He's got several good years left in the tank, plenty of personnel to help shoulder the carries and he came back from a hamstring injury last year to become one of the most consistent, productive backs in the league. And that behind a line that was almost as bad as ours.

I really think we have nothing to worry about for our running game this year if our line can stay healthy and get a little more quality brought in at the draft. Black, Clark, Dayne and Green have been quality signings and I'm delighted with all of them. Zgonina will provde a little depth at DT (though we could do with another impact player there, hopefully from the draft) and the only signing I've not been happy with is Stanley. Why we would want to pay that guy any more money to stink up our special teams is just beyond me.

Very excited with the way things are going thus far. :dance2:

Untamed Guerillaz
03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Ahman Green
Adrian Peterson
Ron Dayne
Wali Lundy

how many times does the evidence has to present itself to show we are not picking AP get off of his jock he is not coming here :wild:

Untamed Guerillaz
03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Chris Taylor > Wali Lundy

totally agree :wild:

PapaL
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Yet another year of hearing "Dayne is a powerback" or "He'll get you those tough couple of yards". "He had a good year for us" - Wrong; he has never been a tough yardage/goalline back and had one good month, the last month, for us.

For cohesiveness, good he's back. For anything more then a serviceable back, he is not.

DominickDavisFan76
03-18-2007, 12:10 PM
i say we release wali lundy, chris taylor has more potential
and ron dayne is used a 3rd down, or goal line back, and then the rest of the time is all GREEN

keyfro
03-18-2007, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=wolfscar;630016]I agree with all of that excpet Green's injury background. I don't know where people are getting this from - he's not injury prone. By RB standards he's been pretty durable.

well i'm not saying he's injury prone per say...i'm saying that with his ACL injury two years ago...him missing a few games last year there is a little concern about his overall durablility...i don't see it being a major concern for us since he's not expected to handle the full load by himself...he's going to have help with dayne, taylor, gado, lundy, and whoever else the team adds to the roster...even if we don't draft another RB it's very likely that they'll add one or two via UDFA

but yeah i agree this year i have nothing but high expectations for our running game

fshaw
03-18-2007, 02:44 PM
What I love about bringing Dayne back is he may be becoming an elite back at this point in his career. He has lost weight and seems to have overcome and ball handling problems he had early in his career. I would hate to have let him get away and him go somewhere else and continue where he left off last season. Besides, he is big and strong enough to play fullback. We may be able to keep Leach as the starter and use Dayne as his back up. We would'nt need Cook on the active roster. Dayne may suprise everyone in training camp.

texanfan2002114
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Another old RB.. Where's the old QB to go along with it? Waiting to hear we signed Drew B..

1. Green
2. Taylor
3. Lundy

How is Dayne old?? The dude just turned 29 years old. Please inform me how that is old.

eric138
03-19-2007, 06:56 AM

But now, I don't know.

If Carr is staying at QB1 position then we need to beef up the RB position big time, so if AP is available we should be taking him.

TK_Gamer
03-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Kubiak plays dunk and dink with the run to keep them out of the dime. we dont need superstar running backs anyway. we need carr/whoever to be able to hit a target besides AJ with some consistency and reach further than 11 yards down the field. granted alot of kubiaks plays are designed for the key reciever to get a first down, but he talked about it all year, how david wasnt "taking advantage of opportunities" wich means if the Z reciever is open across the middle, Carr/whoever has to hit that pass. I know most of you watched denver play the last 5 years and they used a exploiting kind of offense that was set up by the run. Carr hasnt shown he can exploit. I believe Kubiak even admitted on some of the games we gained good rushing yards, that he hadnt planned on rushing so much but it worked and the passing game didnt, so he kept with it. I think Green and Dayne can handle all that kubiak's offense demands, it's whether or not our QB can do the rest of whats needed. exploiting matchups.

DayneBum
03-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Yet another year of hearing "Dayne is a powerback" or "He'll get you those tough couple of yards". "He had a good year for us" - Wrong; he has never been a tough yardage/goalline back and had one good month, the last month, for us.

For cohesiveness, good he's back. For anything more then a serviceable back, he is not.

well...say what u want, but when Dayne got healthy last season. All i seen was power,, getting the tough yards, goaline td's, etc.....he's not a powerback given the ball 2times every 4-5 series...yeah, thats what the Giants did.....

DayneBum
03-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Dayne may suprise everyone in training camp.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........dont let the cat out the bag....lol

Wolf
03-19-2007, 08:41 AM
If Carr is staying at QB1 position then we need to beef up the RB position big time, so if AP is available we should be taking him.

I agree if we though DD was good (pre-injury) and now we think Dayne is ok ...jeeze I couldn't imagine what we would think in a year about AP ...I am not saying AP is a once in a lifetime back, I am saying the power and speed that he has is something this Texan franchise hasn't seen at RB.

real
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I agree if we though DD was good (pre-injury) and now we think Dayne is ok ...jeeze I couldn't imagine what we would think in a year about AP ...I am not saying AP is a once in a lifetime back, I am saying the power and speed that he has is something this Texan franchise hasn't seen at RB.

I really can't see the Texans taking a RB period, unless it's a Ramonce Taylor type of player that can line up in the backfield and play out of the slot...

If AP falls(which he won't) expect a trade down...

Wolf
03-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I really can't see the Texans taking a RB period, unless it's a Ramonce Taylor type of player that can line up in the backfield and play out of the slot...

true that would give us some versatility

Exithios
03-19-2007, 09:02 AM

I like the RT pick, our running game will be good to go next season with AG and RD in the back field (it's not like AD would be ready to start in a west coast offense out of the box). Ramonce could play in the slot for a season and by 08 could very well be a real contributer to the running game. We may need ATF to ride our sidelines for awhile though to ensure our bench doesn't consist of 5 lbs. bricks of wacky tobacky.

UHHEAVEN
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, I'm glad we signed Dayne. But he's only as good as his fullback Leach!!! He gained more yards when he had Leach opening up holes for him. When Leach wasn't openning up holes he only got a couple of yards. The one thing I do love about Dayne is that he can take a lickin and keep on tickin!! So all in all, I'm happy but the bottom line is we need Leach to seal the deal. :twocents:

PapaL
03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
well...say what u want, but when Dayne got healthy last season. All i seen was power,, getting the tough yards, goaline td's, etc.....he's not a powerback given the ball 2times every 4-5 series...yeah, thats what the Giants did.....

Thank you, I will. You mean he wasnt healthy after the month or so off for turf toe?

Power? Maybe power nap. So your saying he takes time to build his power like the Incredile Hulk? If he is a powerback he would be bulldozing fools over from his first carry all through out the game (and not breaking our players legs). Falling forward one body length for 2 yards does not constitute power.

DayneBum
03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Thank you, I will. You mean he wasnt healthy after the month or so off for turf toe?

Power? Maybe power nap. So your saying he takes time to build his power like the Incredile Hulk? If he is a powerback he would be bulldozing fools over from his first carry all through out the game (and not breaking our players legs). Falling forward one body length for 2 yards does not constitute power.

he was healthy when we played oakland 12/3/06....Every rb needs about 10-15 carries to get in the that rythm and comfortable power role. Larry johnson stated that he needs 20 carries to get into his rythm. Would u call him a powerback? i certainly would. But he didnt look that powerful vs the Colts. The word powerback can be misleading at times. jerome Bettis, yes he's a powerback. He'll come in every 5 series and pound the ball for 2-3 yards. Dayne has power and alot of it. he's the type of Back that gets stronger as the game goes on. he needs his 20-25 carries a game. just like any other bigtime back out there.
And he's not out there breaking players legs...its unfortunate what happend, but when u gotta rookie LT on a stud pass rusher. The rookie may get blown into the backfeild and that type of thing may happen. And thats how it went down...u make it seem like Dayne went to him intentionally. U probably want Adrian peterson too huh? He's the answer to all the texans prayers right?
Sit back and enjoy the ride, i'll reserve you a ticket on the Trayne.

PapaL
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
he was healthy when we played oakland 12/3/06....Every rb needs about 10-15 carries to get in the that rythm and comfortable power role. Larry johnson stated that he needs 20 carries to get into his rythm. Would u call him a powerback? i certainly would. But he didnt look that powerful vs the Colts. The word powerback can be misleading at times. jerome Bettis, yes he's a powerback. He'll come in every 5 series and pound the ball for 2-3 yards. Dayne has power and alot of it. he's the type of Back that gets stronger as the game goes on. he needs his 20-25 carries a game. just like any other bigtime back out there.
And he's not out there breaking players legs...its unfortunate what happend, but when u gotta rookie LT on a stud pass rusher. The rookie may get blown into the backfeild and that type of thing may happen. And thats how it went down...u make it seem like Dayne went to him intentionally. U probably want Adrian peterson too huh? He's the answer to all the texans prayers right?
Sit back and enjoy the ride, i'll reserve you a ticket on the Trayne.

No I am not on the AP/AD wagon. Keep your ticket for the Lame Dayne Trayne.