PDA

View Full Version : Texans trying to get Matt Schaub?

Mr. White
03-16-2007, 11:32 AM
From the Chron's Texans FanBlog (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/03/2008_probowl_candidatemario_wi_1.html).

***** ESPN and CNNSI both report today that the Atlanta Falcons are still quietly shopping QB Matt Shaub. Reports have noted that the Falcons GM has been in close contact recently with the Texans and GM Rick Smith.

Should the TEXANS try and do everything they can to grab Matt Shaub away from the Falcons?

I know it's a pretty big reach. Especially since there is nothing about this on the CNNSI or ESPN sites and he doesn't give any quotes from anywhere else.

ATX
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Wow! Depends on what the Falcons are asking for him. Still think he'd cost us too much in terms of draft picks.

texun
03-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Somebody please explain to me why Matt Schaub is so coveted by most teams as a highly regarded potential starting QB. I have never seen him play and don't remember his college career.

Mr. White
03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow! Depends on what the Falcons are asking for him. Still think he'd cost us too much in terms of draft picks.

I've heard that they want a 1st and 3rd conditional. I doubt that they'll get it.

Somebody please explain to me why Matt Schaub is so coveted by most teams as a highly regarded potential starting QB. I have never seen him play and don't remember his college career.

I've seen him play once last year against the Eagles (the last game of the season.) Vick got knocked out of the game for a series, then the ball suddenly started moving. It was like night and day. I made sure to keep an eye on him because I'd heard so much about him on this board.

CarolinaTexan
03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Matt Schuab had a great college career. I got to watch him play alot (ACC fan here). You would have probobly heard more about him except he played in the same conference at the same time at Philip Rivers, and all eyes were on Rivers. They actually have similar attributes, and i think Matt would be just as good as philip(and im a NC state fan). If we got him that would be outstanding IMO.

bigTEXan8
03-16-2007, 11:45 AM

well i think that it's that vick sucks so bad as a "qb" that schaub looks like the 2nd coming of peyton.

Porky
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not that shocked they are pursuing him (if they are). I believe this staff is going to leave no stone unturned in its quest to get a legit QB to play for this team. I think the compensation will likely be too high, but I am sure they have talked about it.

Lucky
03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
It's common when blogging to include a link to a story that's being referenced (just as it is here on our message board). I know Texans Chick did when she was the blogger at the Chronic. Not a real good job by this fan blogger.

BTW, here's what Bucky Brooks of SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/03/01/overrated.underrated/index.htm) had to say regarding Schaub:

Top 10 Overrated Free Agents

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/03/01/overrated.underrated/p1_schaub.jpg

Matt Schaub, Atlanta Falcons, QB: This former third-round pick has created quite buzz around the league as a potential starter, but when you examine his career production you wonder what all of the fuss is about. He has dazzled during the preseason, but in regular-season action he is only 52-percent passer with six touchdowns and six interceptions. Despite an impressive performance filling in for Michael Vick during the season-ending loss vs. the Eagles' back ups, he hasn't done enough to justify his lofty status on the free-agent market. Remember, Rob Johnson and A.J. Feeley were once viewed in the same light as potential starters.

santo
03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
well i think that it's that vick sucks so bad as a "qb" that schaub looks like the 2nd coming of peyton.

Matt Schaub would look like the second coming of Payton here in Houston as well compared to you know who.......:winky:

CarolinaTexan
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I think he is coveted so much because it is next to impossible to find a quarterback under 30 that has good potential in this league. There are just a lot of bad qb's floating around the nfl at this point in time.

infantrycak
03-16-2007, 12:17 PM
OVERVIEW
Classic pocket passer who is the proud owner of every major passing record in school history A Heisman Trophy candidate in 2003, he bounced back from early-season shoulder problems to lead the team to its second successive Continental Tire Bowl victory The 2002 Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year completed 66.98 percent of his passes during his career, the second-best mark in NCAA Division I-A history, topped only by Tim Couch of Kentucky (67.15 percent, 1996-98) His 716 pass completions rank fifth in conference annals Holds the school career records for pass completions, attempts (1,069), passing yards (7,502), total offense yards (7,560), touchdown passes (56), most 300-yard passing games (eight) and most 200-yard passing games (20).
ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a tall frame with adequate muscle thickness, a big bubble with thick thighs and long, thick calves Shows adequate quickness in his retreat from under center, showing balance standing tall in the pocket Throws with an over-the-top motion and shows good quickness through his delivery More effective throwing the short- and medium-route tosses Good decision maker who will throw the ball away rather than force it into traffic Has adequate poise in the pocket and will sacrifice his body and take the hit when his receivers are covered Good leader and hard worker who is well-respected by his teammates Shows touch and accuracy on his short balls and the ability to stick the pigskin into tight areas (knows when to fire the ball and put touch on passes) Has a good feel for pressure, knowing when to step up or roll out of the pocket Is improving his timing and anticipation skills to make sure he hits his receivers in their stride Takes control in the huddle and will speak up when he needs to Shows quick hands and catches the ball well while serving as the holder for extra points and field goals.

Negatives: Has good quickness, but will get "happy feet" at times and will tuck the ball away too early (will stand tall in the pocket, but needs to show more patience when running as ball security {fumbles} have been a problem) Shows marginal arm strength in his long-ball attempts, lacking the ideal zip needed on his passes to be effective with the deep throws Has an effective overhead delivery, but seems to drop to a three-quarter when pressured, causing him to rush the ball at times His long tosses tend to sail on him the farther he has to throw it Has improved his ability to scan the field, but will revert to locking on to his primary target, failing to locate other receivers (will also check down too early) Will lose accuracy on his throws when forced to pass on the move Despite his size, he has limited weight-room numbers (225-pound bench press).

Link (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/matt_schaub)

TEXANS84
03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Negatives: Has good quickness, but will get "happy feet" at times and will tuck the ball away too early (will stand tall in the pocket, but needs to show more patience when running as ball security {fumbles} have been a problem)

Sounds like Carr right off the bat.

powerfuldragon
03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
oooh. he won the tire bowl. twice.

Mr teX
03-16-2007, 12:26 PM

Why? The same reason Sage is coveted on this message board. A few good starts/appearances & the back up QB is always the fans favorite player, that is unless your the colts or patriots................. or Saints.

wrestler4life
03-16-2007, 12:47 PM

Sounds like Carr a lot.

hot pickle
03-16-2007, 12:57 PM
if the texans would of signed a good FS this offseason, is hamlin still out there...? then i'd be all for it, but we need laron landry or reggie nelson to bad for us to give up are #8, but bring in hamlin and im down

HuttoKarl
03-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Matt Schaub would look like the second coming of Payton here in Houston as well compared to you know who.......:winky:

Sage Rosenfels?

:elmo: :joker: :elmo:

freedoggy77
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Schaub was second only to the ALMIGHTY Tim Couch??? OMG :sarcasm:

TwinSisters
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Classic Pocket Passer?

I don't get it. I don't see where anybody makes the connection that this is what Houston is looking for.

If we wanted a classic pocket passer Bledsoe is already out there for free.

nunusguy
03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
ositives: Matt Schaub has terrific size, strength, and a decent arm. He is an accurate passer (especially underneath) has a good release, and leads his receivers well. He has the ability to find the second receiver and he reads defenses well.
Negatives: His footwork is inconsistent, but can be polished with good coaching. He lacks speed and mobility, and will not buy much time with his feet. He does not throw well on the run. Strictly a pocket passer.
http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofiles/p/mattschaub.htm
I dunno, but the Texans would have to move away from the WCO if they picked up this QB - "He lacks speed and mobility, and will not buy much time with his feet. He does not throw well on the run. Strictly a pocket passer."
Kinda shoots this rumor full of holes.

mikey21
03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
does any body remember a guy named scott mitchell, did great in relief of marino and and got a huge pay day from detroit and then his true colors showed and we was a bust, i get the same feeling here, championship teams are not built by taking other teams second teamers and hoping they will develop into super stars, championships are built through the draft, if the choice is carr or schaub i would rather keep car and the draft pick(s) and draft a quaterback to sit and watch for a year, but hey what do i know i am just another texans fan

Blake
03-16-2007, 01:27 PM
They will want to much based on potential. I dont think that RS will mortgage his draft for him.

hmm LaRon Landry and Daymeion Hughes, or Matt Schuab.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Classic Pocket Passer?

I don't get it. I don't see where anybody makes the connection that this is what Houston is looking for.

If we wanted a classic pocket passer Bledsoe is already out there for free.

ositives: Matt Schaub has terrific size, strength, and a decent arm. He is an accurate passer (especially underneath) has a good release, and leads his receivers well. He has the ability to find the second receiver and he reads defenses well.
Negatives: His footwork is inconsistent, but can be polished with good coaching. He lacks speed and mobility, and will not buy much time with his feet. He does not throw well on the run. Strictly a pocket passer.
http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofiles/p/mattschaub.htm
I dunno, but the Texans would have to move away from the WCO if they picked up this QB - "He lacks speed and mobility, and will not buy much time with his feet. He does not throw well on the run. Strictly a pocket passer."
Kinda shoots this rumor full of holes.

Matt Schaub has ran the West Coast Offense in Atlanta for his entire career and has ran the West Coast Offense at University of Virginia. He is an experienced West Coast Offense QB.

South Texan
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, looks like another overpriced decent QB. Maybe I am looking under the wrong rocks, but I am just not seeing an exciting QB prospect out there that is within our budget considering other needs we have.

I still like the idea of picking up secondary help (Landry, Bannister in later rounds, etc.) and settle the D. The more the offense is on the field, the more of a chance they have to score. So what if we don't win the Superbowl for 2 more years instead of one. :joker:

If there is a dark horse QB with potential that is avalible on our beer budget bring him in as the third. Till then, let's just hope Sage or He Who Must Not Be Named doesn't stink up the joint.

Exithios
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I would hope that our front office would have more sense than to trade off a 1st and 3rd for a QB who's talent could be matched or eccelled in the 2nd or 3rd round of the 07 draft.

The mere thought of Schaub fetching a 1st and 3rd round pick (especially the Texans #8 overall) makes my hemmoroids flare up... now where's that dang prep-h.

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I agree. Schuab is "good" QB, but not worthy a 1st and 3rd. Hell, I would rather keep Car than to do this theory.

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Not gonna happen. Smith will not give up a 1st and 3rd at this point ...unless his initials are Peyton manning or tom brady....

atlanta doesn't need/want carr, neither does tampa bay....so those trades w/ carr are out. i see them taking quinn easy i don't see them giving up a 1st and 3rd or a 1st/3rd/Carr to get either though.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
If his initials are Peyton Manning, then he must have a really long name.

HOU-TEX
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds like Carr right off the bat.

Sounds like Carr a lot.

It does sound like Carr except this little bolded tidbit.:)

Shows adequate quickness in his retreat from under center, showing balance standing tall in the pocket Throws with an over-the-top motion and shows good quickness through his delivery More effective throwing the short- and medium-route tosses

quicksilver
03-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Schaub is a RFA this season, next year he will be an UFA. I'm not saying I think we have to get Schaub, but if that's really who you want, why not use our 1st and 3rd round picks to continue to build the team this season, let whoever we plug in at QB dish the rock for '07, and make a run at Schaub next season when we have little to no dead cap money on the books?

cj5776
03-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Since he is a restricted free agent with high tender if the Falcons decided not to match an offer from another team, they would then receive a first and third pick. However a trade might be more mangenable, especially since he would be an unretsrected free agent this time next year. The team does not want to get nothing for him. The bottom line is do the Falcons think they have a chance to resign him. Since Vick has a lot to prove as far as consistent sucess goes, Schaub might want to stay to see if has a chance to become the starter with the Falcons.

Trap_Star
03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Could ATL possibly be trying to trade up to 8? Could that type of deal include schaub?

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
is it just me or was he a RFA last year? can you do that 2 years in a row??

nunusguy
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Matt Schaub has ran the West Coast Offense in Atlanta for his entire career and has ran the West Coast Offense at University of Virginia. He is an experienced West Coast Offense QB.
Really ? I have never seen the guy take a snap in my life. In the pros or in
college.
So he's not basically a pocket passer who is too immoble or too slow of foot
to be a WCO QB ? Because I dunno, I was looking at this websites analysis.
And this website is full of crap ? Which is OK by me, I'm just trying to get the
story on Schaub ? If he's a potential fit for us here in Houston, then I'm all for us pursuing the deal if the price is reasonable.

cj5776
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
:yahoo:

Could ATL possibly be trying to trade up to 8? Could that type of deal include schaub?

Exactly! The first and third is only for signing him to an offer sheet that would not be matched by Atlanta.

TRADES DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE FIRST AND THIRD PICKS.

If Atlanta does not think they can resign him, they are going to want to get something for him.

HoustonFrog
03-16-2007, 02:51 PM
does any body remember a guy named scott mitchell, did great in relief of marino and and got a huge pay day from detroit and then his true colors showed and we was a bust, i get the same feeling here, championship teams are not built by taking other teams second teamers and hoping they will develop into super stars, championships are built through the draft, if the choice is carr or schaub i would rather keep car and the draft pick(s) and draft a quaterback to sit and watch for a year, but hey what do i know i am just another texans fan

Brett Favre. Just saying. Traded. You could add Romo, Warner(arena) and a host of others. Admittedly it is a crap shoot but because a guy is a teams backup doesn't make him a scrub. I find alot of this humorous because we haven't seen a real QB here to compare it to....or should I say, real QBing.

Mr teX
03-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Brett Favre. Just saying

I'll borrow from Vinny here & say "exception, not the rule."

HoustonFrog
03-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I'll borrow from Vinny here & say "exception, not the rule."

Completely agree. They guy brought it up though. I say the same thing when we talk about great defenses and teams carrying a crap QB. My point was that you never know until you make a move. People act like Dallas had this easy decision to make with Romo when the guy was a 3rd stringer for most of his career. I mean heck, Staubach was a backup or splitting with Morton. Garcia was a Canadian leaguer. Warner an arena leaguer. They are exceptions but that doesn't mean you accept futility and keep forcing the issue. There is a boatload of 1st rounders that just didn't have what it took. If people ignore some of these guys the exceptions will fail to exist.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
college.
And this website is full of crap ? Which is OK by me, I'm just trying to get the
story on Schaub ? If he's a potential fit for us here in Houston, then I'm all for us pursuing the deal if the price is reasonable.

Yes he did run the west coast offense at Virginia. Speed isn't everything in the west coast offense, so you don't have to have world class speed to run it to perfection.

bigTEXan8
03-16-2007, 03:19 PM

well...yeah and no. schaub would have the benefit of not having the living hell been beaten out of him for the past five years, but i don't think he will be anything productive.

sidenote: your avatar is awesome. i have it as my background on my myspace.

TwinSisters
03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
college.

yeah if that is true, then the summary or label is bad.

Classic pocket passer means Namath-Fouts-Marino-Bledsoe-Manning

nunusguy
03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes he did run the west coast offense at Virginia. Speed isn't everything in the west coast offense, so you don't have to have world class speed to run it to perfection.

But you do need to be able to run, throw on the run, and have real mobility. If he's got that, then I'm OK with him. If not, I'd rate him a dubious candidate to effectively QB a WCO.

mikey21
03-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Brett Favre. Just saying. Traded. You could add Romo, Warner(arena) and a host of others. Admittedly it is a crap shoot but because a guy is a teams backup doesn't make him a scrub. I find alot of this humorous because we haven't seen a real QB here to compare it to....or should I say, real QBing.

well with farve being the exception, warner and romo were brought into st louis and dallas to be what? yupe a back up, the big difference between those situations and the texans is that the packers, rams, and cowboys were established teams and had alot more talent compared to what the texans have at this point, you are correct it is a crap shoot, but why take a chance on a guy where you have to give up draft picks that can be used on other needs, but like i said what do i know i am just another texans fan

HoustonFrog
03-16-2007, 09:29 PM
well with farve being the exception, warner and romo were brought into st louis and dallas to be what? yupe a back up, the big difference between those situations and the texans is that the packers, rams, and cowboys were established teams and had alot more talent compared to what the texans have at this point, you are correct it is a crap shoot, but why take a chance on a guy where you have to give up draft picks that can be used on other needs, but like i said what do i know i am just another texans fan

I'm not sure what that was getting at. Nothing I said was a cut at fans..I'm one. I'm just saying that you can't stay stagnant if you evaluate a guy to be an upgrade. I think with backups you just are never sure. I'm sure Brady would have made his mark but people are lying if they thought a 6th rounder brought in to back up Bledsoe would be a MVP guy or future hall of famer. My whole point is that this whole thread is picking the guy apart when in reality you will never know until the guy gets the gig.

TexansLucky13
03-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I've heard that they want a 1st and 3rd conditional. I doubt that they'll get it.

Who do they think he is??? Peyton Manning??

Luv Ya Blue 2007
03-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Guys a 1st and 3rd will never happen when Quinn will most likely be there for a 1st only. However, the qoute above is the only reasonable thing I have seen posted. Let's get real with our thoughts.

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2007, 03:12 AM

Well, you know...

The year before Favre started playing for the Packers, they were 4-12. Don Majkowski got injured early in the season and Favre came in and has been starting ever since. He lead them to a 9-7 that first season. So... I don't think that team was actually jam packed with talent.

And the Rams were kinda interesting, too. The previous year, they were 4-12. In the offseason, they landed Marshall Faulk and Trent Green and Tory Holt. Then Trent Green went down in pre-season and the job was Warners. And the rest is history. A lot of the other guys like Az-Zahir and Isaac Bruce were already there when they were a bad team (with Tony Banks as the starter.)

The Cowboys weren't a playoff team the year before and with Bledsoe at the helm, they weren't headed to the playoffs this year, either. Romo coming in made that team work.

It's kinda hard to call those "established" teams.

Success makes a lot of things smell sweeter. The player that's a crappy player on a bad team becomes a cherished veteran when the team is winning. Same guy smells a lot different in different situations. And one player can keep a team from winning. Sometimes it's just that one little piece that's needed to push something over the edge and instead of losing by 3-4 points, you start winning by 3-4 points. Sometimes that's a running back, sometimes it's the QB. For the Colts last year, it was a safety. Maybe, for the Texans, it's the QB. Maybe not.

Navy_Chris
03-17-2007, 04:34 AM

His tender calls for a 1st and 3rd rounder for another team to get him, but you're right....Atlanta won't get that, but they have the option to ship him for less if they're so inclined.

I think it'd be a good deal, esp. if we can give up a pick or two next year instead of this year. Schaub is going to be good. I just have a feeling. That's all.

SamuraiSword
03-17-2007, 01:14 PM

So what if we draft quinn and have him be backup QB for awhile to mold into starting material? Schaub I believe was supposed to take that scenario, but the love vick down there too much.

ATX
03-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Carr for Schaub straight up? :drunk: :phone: :pigfly:

Texian
03-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Here is the low down on Schaub and the Falcons.

What people know:
First Schaub has never had the chance to show what he can do since he has been backing up Mike Vick since day 1. Schaub does have good size, arm and is mobile enough to roll out. He started a game in 05 against the Pats and threw for 300 yds and 3 TDs. Mangini was impressed enough with Schaub he made a run at him last year. The Falcons were not interested after memories of spending a year with Doug Johson when Vick went down with a broken leg in pre season. The good is Schaub did throw for a high completion % in college in a pro style WCO. The bad is Schaub's TD to INT ratio is not as good as you would like to see. He was a 3rd RD pick in 2004, the 4th QB taken behind Eli Maning, Philip Rivers and Ben Rothlisberger.

What people probably don't know:

The Falcons have come off their 1st and 3rd demands and are now asking for two 2nds (2007, 2008). The Falcons also really want Calvin Johnson. More than the Falcons wanting him they don't want Tampa to get him. That is because they are rivals and a grudge thing with McKay as the former TB GM. The Falcons cannot afford to franchise Schaub next year. A top 5 QB salary to go with Vick's big numbers would be insane and real cap killer. The new Coach Petrino would not stand for it. The Falcons will have to take the best offer they get in order to get something for Schaub. Schaub is their best chance to move up in the draft and best opportunity for Calvin Johnson. The Texans could have a good a chance at landing Schaub by swapping 1st RD picks with Atlanta (8 & 10) and giving up their 2nd RD pick. I wouldn't offer anymore than this as it will probably be the best offer Atlanta gets. The 2 2nds Atlanta is advertising for Schaub indicates this is more than they already have on the table and gives them more than enough to move up for Johnson.

My Opinion:

If the Texans are intent on replacing Carr this year, Matt Schaub is and has always been the option to explore. Not with a 1st and 3rd or two 2nds but swapping 1st and giving a 2nd RD pick. Above Plummer, Garcia, McCown and the others Schaub offers the most potential and long term answers.

Koolaid Time
03-17-2007, 08:24 PM
How much you bet if the Texans sign him, Bob Allen will sign him to a Sunday night sports talk show called
"Stump this Schaub"..?

2BCF
03-17-2007, 09:05 PM
If we are able to land Schuab, we would be sitting pretty toward a winning season in '07.

Make it happen!

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-17-2007, 10:16 PM
I do like the idea of trading first round picks with Atlanta and also including our 2nd round pick for Schaub. We would move down two spots and still possible be able to pick up Landry (sorry, I just love the guy). Then we recieve Schaub basically for our 2nd round pick....Name me a QB that you could select at that spot that equal Scaub. And I don't want to hear anything about Stanton or Kolb because they are two or three years away from getting close to be able to compare. Solid idea...I don't see Atlanta doing this though.

TwinSisters
03-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I do like the idea of trading first round picks with Atlanta and also including our 2nd round pick for Schaub. We would move down two spots and still possible be able to pick up Landry (sorry, I just love the guy). Then we recieve Schaub basically for our 2nd round pick....Name me a QB that you could select at that spot that equal Scaub. And I don't want to hear anything about Stanton or Kolb because they are two or three years away from getting close to be able to compare. Solid idea...I don't see Atlanta doing this though.

yep.

And then unload Carr on the Raiders, Carolina, or the Browns for a 2nd or 3rd and come out pretty even.

QB75
03-17-2007, 10:49 PM

Only to those who really don't know what they're talking about.

NATHANHALE
03-17-2007, 11:33 PM
But you do need to be able to run, throw on the run, and have real mobility. If he's got that, then I'm OK with him. If not, I'd rate him a dubious candidate to effectively QB a WCO.

Yea, Carr doesn't have those things,either, and look at him-can't even get out of his own way!