PDA

View Full Version : Browns studying Carr?

Texans34Life
03-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Browns | Team eyeing quarterbacks
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:28:55 -0700

Steve Doerschuk, of the Canton Repository, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Cleveland Browns have been monitoring what it would take to pry restricted free-agent QB Matt Schaub (Falcons) away from the Atlanta Falcons in a draft-related trade. They also have been studying Houston Texans QB David Carr.

gtexan02
03-16-2007, 01:16 AM
No!! If they watch any game tape they'll lose the "Its his OL" mentality and there goes any hope of that trade going down...

TwinSisters
03-16-2007, 01:45 AM
well... let's see.

We have been scheduled to play the Browns 4 out of the past 5 seasons. You would think they would have enough study time in already.

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Both of our #8's (Carr and pick) for their 3rd pick sounds great! Andre meet Calvin or Ahman meet Adrain....sound great! Hopefully Sage can handle the snaps until the 3rd round selection this year can take over (hopefully Stanton).

GP
03-16-2007, 08:53 AM
I think we can arrange this: Browns swap spots with us AND they get Carr. There might need to be some extra sweetening of the pot since we're not really trading an entire draft round but only trading a few spots--Cleveland may need to give us a sixth or something, for example.

This gets Cleveland a QB, bumps them down a few spots where they are still going to pick up someone pretty good. They give us a sixth or seventh, instead of the 3rd or 4th that people have been speculating it would take for DC. Could we also get Cleveland to assume his salary completely so that it frees up our cap? How does that work? That would be an added bonus.

And we get Adrian Peterson AND one more poker chip late in the draft to see if we can parlay it into a good Rick Smith/Gary Kubiak pick-up.

That's how you deal a QB that nobody's been biting on, and that's how you guarantee you get the franchise RB so that nobody else gets him. Who knows, we might get offers to trade BACK DOWN if a team wants CJ, etc., and needs gurantees to get him...and we can still get Adrian.

Or I'm just dreaming. Oh well, it was fun playing GM for a second...

noxiousdog
03-16-2007, 09:15 AM
To go from 8 to 3, you need approximately 800 draft value points which is equivilient to the number #23 overall pick. Our 3rd rounder is only worth 230 points for comparison sake.

Here's the chart (http://www.theredzone.org/2006/draft/draftvaluechart.asp) and with the exception of top 5 trades, in which people trading up normally -overpay-, trades almost always fall within 5% of the expected values.

So, unless you think Carr is worth a first round pick, and if you did you wouldn't be trading him, it's going to take a 2 and a 3 to move up.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I think we can arrange this: Browns swap spots with us AND they get Carr. There might need to be some extra sweetening of the pot since we're not really trading an entire draft round but only trading a few spots--Cleveland may need to give us a sixth or something, for example.

This gets Cleveland a QB, bumps them down a few spots where they are still going to pick up someone pretty good. They give us a sixth or seventh, instead of the 3rd or 4th that people have been speculating it would take for DC. Could we also get Cleveland to assume his salary completely so that it frees up our cap? How does that work? That would be an added bonus.

And we get Adrian Peterson AND one more poker chip late in the draft to see if we can parlay it into a good Rick Smith/Gary Kubiak pick-up.

That's how you deal a QB that nobody's been biting on, and that's how you guarantee you get the franchise RB so that nobody else gets him. Who knows, we might get offers to trade BACK DOWN if a team wants CJ, etc., and needs gurantees to get him...and we can still get Adrian.

Or I'm just dreaming. Oh well, it was fun playing GM for a second...

Why would the Browns give us the 3rd pick and another draft pick for Carr and the 8th?

HuttoKarl
03-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Why would the Browns give us the 3rd pick and another draft pick for Carr and the 8th?

They wouldn't, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Carr and our first rounder plus a mid round pick (5th or 4th) next year for a shot at Peterson, Johnson or Joe Thomas.

real
03-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Some of you are delusional to think that all it'd take to move up is Carr and a swap of picks...

Unless Casserly is their GM, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that won't be enough...

keyfro
03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
the thing that not everyone is seeing is that if we do this trade up to the 3rd overall pick the chances are that it will be for quinn not anyone else since it looks like kubiak has really liked what he's seen from quinn's pro day...but there is another report out there that says the staff is just awwed at calvin johnson...that said if we did the trade and selected calvin to match with aj...who would be able to cover our WR's?

real
03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
the thing that not everyone is seeing is that if we do this trade up to the 3rd overall pick the chances are that it will be for quinn not anyone else since it looks like kubiak has really liked what he's seen from quinn's pro day...but there is another report out there that says the staff is just awwed at calvin johnson...that said if we did the trade and selected calvin to match with aj...who would be able to cover our WR's?

If we trade into the Top three, Brady Quinn is no longer an option. I highly doubt they'd trade up to the third overall for him.

It'd either be Thomas, Johnson or Peterson.

Porky
03-16-2007, 10:44 AM
It would take a lot more than a broken Carr to swap up from # 8 to #3.

If they are studying Carr, we have no hope. Can we substitute film of John Elway in his prime in there. Sort of like a Photoshop deal or something?

Marcus
03-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Some of you are delusional to think that all it'd take to move up is Carr and a swap of picks...

"Delusional" is a very kind word to use in this instance.

keyfro
03-16-2007, 10:47 AM
well yeah it would...i remember hearing it would be something like the 8th overall, carr, and probably our 2nd rounder

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Well maybe David Carr will be playing with Adrian Peterson after all....just in another city.

Again, our FO isn't going to move up in the draft. They will either select at 8 or trade down and pick up more picks. So Carr would be a trade for maybe their 4th rounder mayber or another player.

Porky
03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
If the Texans covet Quinn, this could play right into assuring he falls to them. Trade Carr for some kind of conditional pick, the Browns then take Peterson, and Quinn falls right into their laps. :spy:

Tulip
03-16-2007, 11:14 AM
The glee I feel over such a scenario is evidence enough for me that such a deal is completely lopsided.

michaelm
03-16-2007, 11:23 AM
If Cleveland is actually interested in Carr, they would likely want to acquire him so they are able to draft Peterson.
They know they should be able to get Carr for a late first day pick, and still keep their #3.
If I was a Brown's fan, and unhappy with Frye, I wouldn't be totally P.O.'d if my front office went this route.
Cleveland isn't the ideal team for DC to go to if he has any chance to live up to (prior) expectations, but he still may be capable of having success there with AD, Braylon Edwards and Winslow contributing.
In this scenario, Cleveland would still have the 2nd round and either 3rd or 4th round to bolster their OL if they choose.
Actually, as I type this, it is starting to seem like a decent strategy for them, IMO...

michaelm
03-16-2007, 11:25 AM
If the Texans covet Quinn, this could play right into assuring he falls to them. Trade Carr for some kind of conditional pick, the Browns then take Peterson, and Quinn falls right into their laps. :spy:

A very good point, and one that fits nicely with my previous post.

kcwilson
03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
...that said if we did the trade and selected calvin to match with aj...who would be able to cover our WR's?

Probably the LB's because we still wouldn't be able to get them downfield with enough time for the QB to throw and/or see the WRs.

Ryan
03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
they would trade a first day pick for david carr and then draft a badass like peterson or CJ.

That other scenario will not happen.

Meloy
03-16-2007, 01:53 PM
If Cleveland is actually interested in Carr, they would likely want to acquire him so they are able to draft Peterson.
They know they should be able to get Carr for a late first day pick, and still keep their #3.
If I was a Brown's fan, and unhappy with Frye, I wouldn't be totally P.O.'d if my front office went this route.
Cleveland isn't the ideal team for DC to go to if he has any chance to live up to (prior) expectations, but he still may be capable of having success there with AD, Braylon Edwards and Winslow contributing.
In this scenario, Cleveland would still have the 2nd round and either 3rd or 4th round to bolster their OL if they choose.
Actually, as I type this, it is starting to seem like a decent strategy for them, IMO...I would not want any trade of Carr to Cleveland that allows them to get Peterson.

michaelm
03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I would not want any trade of Carr to Cleveland that allows them to get Peterson.

I agree with you. My earlier post was written from the perspective of the Cleveland FO, or even the fans... From that perspective, I think the idea should have at least a small appeal.

Porky
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I would not want any trade of Carr to Cleveland that allows them to get Peterson.

How would NOT trading Carr keep them from taking Peterson if they so choose? I mean right now, I assume it's between Peterson and Quinn, but there is no law that says they can't decide on AD anyway. I don't think it's good business to try to stop other teams from doing something. I don't believe you make moves that are not in the interest of another team. You make moves that ARE in the best interest of your team, and let the chips fall where they may.

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree. Whatever Smith/Kubiak do with the first round pick should not matter whether or not Carr is traded. Trade Carr and take Johnson, Thomas, Peterson, Quinn, Landry. If none of those players are there....Trade down for Brown, Kali, or Nelson.....BUT, you still trade Carr. You start Sage with Quinn or the 2nd or 3rd round pick with a veteran 3rd stringer.

freedoggy77
03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
if this deal goes through i hope we don't move up to 3 just to take Quinn :sad:

El Tejano
03-16-2007, 03:13 PM
if this deal goes through i hope we don't move up to 8 just to take Quinn :sad:

That would be VY/Bush all over again and everyone's PC would blow up in their face with all the posts on here.

This is a question I thought I would propose. What if all these monitorings and trade discussions were for draft day trades. The draft is very close and Peterson to Cleveland all depends on if Oakland doesn't take him.

So what if we are talking with Cleveland (which I don't find hard to believe because this is like the 3rd or 4th leak now) to tell them that if they draft Peterson, we'd be willing to give up Carr and whatever else?

titan hater
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM

I think the Vikings would probably take Quinn....

Cgold
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
umm, Quinn will be gone at 2. Peterson will prob. be 3 and and Calvin will be 4
So for all the people wanting to move up it would prob. be for AP.. and as if it wasnt hard enough to trade from 8 to 3 your trying to take the player that the Browns have been targeting for awhile.

Its crazy what some of you people are willing to give up to get rid of Carr. People talking about giving up our draft picks just to trade him. Are you crazy? Unless you think that Carr leaves town and the rest of the team magically gets wayyy better, maybe we should be getting as many picks as possible for other aspects of this team that are severely lacking but seems to go unnoticed because its not carr, like the serious wholes in Defense and a consistantly bad O-Line.
I personally think moving up is not a good idea at all, and just sit at 8 take the player that we could really use depth at and get an OL like Mr. Brown.
So if you really want Carr gone so bad, it would be better to just take the 3rd or 4th round pick and thats that.
I wonder when hes gone if people will finally stop ignoring the rest of the problems with the team and become as passionate about getting those positions better as they are with the QB.

HOU-TEX
03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Browns studying Carr?

Well, if they are, it shouldn't take too long.:phone:

freedoggy77
03-16-2007, 06:00 PM
So for all the people wanting to move up it would prob. be for AP.. and as if it wasnt hard enough to trade from 8 to 3 your trying to take the player that the Browns have been targeting for awhile.

Its crazy what some of you people are willing to give up to get rid of Carr. People talking about giving up our draft picks just to trade him. Are you crazy? Unless you think that Carr leaves town and the rest of the team magically gets wayyy better, maybe we should be getting as many picks as possible for other aspects of this team that are severely lacking but seems to go unnoticed because its not carr, like the serious wholes in Defense and a consistantly bad O-Line.
I personally think moving up is not a good idea at all, and just sit at 8 take the player that we could really use depth at and get an OL like Mr. Brown.
So if you really want Carr gone so bad, it would be better to just take the 3rd or 4th round pick and thats that.
I wonder when hes gone if people will finally stop ignoring the rest of the problems with the team and become as passionate about getting those positions better as they are with the QB.

dude Levi Brown is very avg. unless we get Thomas we don't draft a OT in the first. in the second if we could get Blalock that would be awesome or Kalil b/c flanagan kinda sux. then alleman in the fourth and we have almost completely overhauled our O-Line: Spencer Alleman Kalil Pitts Winston

much better than the current

GP
03-16-2007, 08:58 PM

They get a veteran QB and only slide five slots down to No. 8.

What we'd pay AP as a No. 3 pick is a lot higher than what Cleveland will pay their No. 8 pick....AND, they still get a Top 10 player in the first round.

Makes sense to me:

1. Get Carr to try and supplant Frye.

2. Still get a Top 10 pick.

3. Pay a lot less than they would at No. 3.

If I'm the GM of the Texans, I tell Cleveland that they have got to slide down so that we can get AP. Or, they can draft AP and stay sucky at QB...or they can take a gamble on Brady Quinn.

If Carr is who the Browns want, make them pay for him. Heck, the Browns could do this and come out even BIGGER winners: Slide down to 8 and get Carr at the same time, then trade away their No. 8 and thus slide down AGAIN and get a mid-to-late first rounder PLUS perhaps a second or third rounder in addition to that. It could be a really great first day for the Browns if they play their cards right. It could be the kind of day that would give a Browns fan some hope for a change.

It's not as "delusional" as some make it out to be.

I like how a lot of you think so poorly of David Carr that you think we'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder for him, or the six-pack of Dr. Pepper, or whatever slam it is that's been run into the ground. Separate your personal bias for a second and realize that a lot of NFL teams probably know what situation he's in down here for the past five years...it's not exactly like he's had a great team to work with and all. He's been average, but he's not "awful."

A number of teams, as the veteran QBs are signed away from them, will see David Carr as a high-risk/high-reward gamble that might pay off for them.

If so, make 'em pay. You gotta' act like the guy you're trading is worth what you're asking. Otherwise, just release him like KT says.

tsip
03-16-2007, 09:27 PM

We don't have to get 'wayyy' better, especially at the QB position--5 yrs of avg 12 passing tds is a 'mole hill,' not a mountain. Too, sacks will go down once we have a qb that can work the pocket. Besides, sacks decreased 'dramatically' in '06 and Carr's play still 'sucked.'

Yea, when he's gone...think maybe we can get a qb that realizes that 'excuses' are not a 'desired' result on the field?...and those 2 passes thrown beyond the line of scrimmage in the same game...speechless!

Here's hoping David goes to that 1 team in NFL 'neverland' where everything is perfect, because...Carr's fans say so.:elmo: :yahoo: :snobord: