PDA

View Full Version : Packers "On The Verge" of Acquiring Randy Moss

texasguy346
03-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Just a rumor at this point, but it appears to have legs as it's being reported by the Boston Herald.

Source: Packers close to deal for Moss
By Michael Felger
Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist

A source in Wisconsin said today that the Packers and Raiders are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send the troubled receiver to Green Bay in exchange for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
There are expected to be other particulars in the deal. According to the source, Green Bay would also give up a seventh-round pick in 2008, while the Packers would receive Raiders tight end Courtney Anderson as part of the deal. The Packers would also receive a conditional pick from the Raiders in the 2009 draft which would be based on Rodgers’ production in Oakland the next two seasons.
The source indicated that Moss has agreed to restructure his contract, which calls for $20 million in base salary the next two years. Moss and Packers quarterback Brett Favre are said to have been talking on the phone throughout the process. Press conferences could be held as early as Friday.

link (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664)

Porky
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow. Ok, now the key question is what does this do to the draft. It could have major implications for our pick.

If they get Rogers, obviousely, they won't be selecting a QB at #1.

To me, they could go one of three ways - the big anchor LT to solidify that side of the line, the dynamic WR, or Peterson to give them a big time running game.

I would put my money on the WR at this point, as he is a terrific prospect and without Moss they will need a replacement.

If that is the case, does Detroit take Russell? If they don't, does he suddenly drop in our laps at #8?

Do the Browns go with Quinn or AD? I think the one they don't take has an excellent chance of dropping to 8. The NFL network is reporting that they are leaning to Quinn, and that AD would drop at that point.

This would really impact our options, and I think in a good way. I think there is a 90% chance that either Quinn, Russell, or Peterson is there for us if this trade goes through. We can take our guy, or trade down depending on what/who the FO is targeting. :poker:

TwinSisters
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Insane.

The first WR that gets his ass kicked in the middle of a Lambeau Leap.

texasguy346
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
This would also put to rest any Carr to Oakland rumors if Rodgers is indeed part of the deal. I don't think Al will want to pay for two first round QBs who appear to be struggling.

If this were to go through I can't imagine Davis passing up Calvin Johnson. He's simply a freak of nature, and he looks to have a good head on his shoulders as well. The only WR they have outside of Moss is Porter, and he was a problem for much of last season.

I don't see them going with Peterson because they have Jordan, and picked up Rhodes & Griffith recently. That may be bad news for Fargas & Crockett, but I don't see how Al could bring in Peterson for #1 money without shipping out Jordan.

Thomas is interesting, but you have to wonder if Davis has a sour taste in his mouth after drafting Gallery so high a few years back. If the deal indeed goes through it would make for some interesting draft talk the next month or so.

Exithios
03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
I would put my money on the WR at this point, as he is a terrific prospect and without Moss they will need a replacement. This is where I put my money as well.

If that is the case, does Detroit take Russell? If they don't, does he suddenly drop in our laps at #8? I think that Quinn seems to be Detroits love child at the QB position.

Do the Browns go with Quinn or AD? I think the one they don't take has an excellent chance of dropping to 8. The NFL network is reporting that they are leaning to Quinn, and that AD would drop at that point. Russell doesn't drop past Cleveland.

This would really impact our options, and I think in a good way. I think there is a 90% chance that either Quinn, Russell, or Peterson is there for us if this trade goes through. We can take our guy, or trade down depending on what/who the FO is targeting. :poker:

My thoughts in bold.

HuttoKarl
03-15-2007, 10:47 AM
If this happens, it sets them up to grab the best player in the draft, Calvin Johnson. I would pray that Russell or Quinn or Thomas being on the board would be too much for Cleveland to pass up...maybe they target the Ohio State kid, Pittman, in a later round, but I see them still taking Peterson. What would TB do?

Porky
03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
This would also put to rest any Carr to Oakland rumors if Rodgers is indeed part of the deal. I don't think Al will want to pay for two first round QBs who appear to be struggling.

If this were to go through I can't imagine Davis passing up Calvin Johnson. He's simply a freak of nature, and he looks to have a good head on his shoulders as well. The only WR they have outside of Moss is Porter, and he was a problem for much of last season.

I don't see them going with Peterson because they have Jordan, and picked up Rhodes & Griffith recently. That may be bad news for Fargas & Crockett, but I don't see how Al could bring in Peterson for #1 money without shipping out Jordan.

Thomas is interesting, but you have to wonder if Davis has a sour taste in his mouth after drafting Gallery so high a few years back. If the deal indeed goes through it would make for some interesting draft talk the next month or so.

I tend to agree with your analysis. The bigtime WR in Johnson would make the most sense.

I also just saw a rumor that the Fins are talking about moving up to the #2 spot to grab Russell if this Raiders deal goes down. Rumor has it that Culpepper would be shipped to Detriot as part of the package.

If that happens, then there is very good chance that Quinn or Peterson fall to us, depending on who they take.

Joe Thomas would never make it past Arizona, so that is the longest of long shots.

So thinking about this, Raiders take Johnson, Miami goes Russell, Browns take Quinn.

I think TB takes Joe Thomas. I don't see them taking AP. I guess there is a slight chance they go with a Gaines Adams or Branch.

After that, it's a bit of a crapshoot, but I think AP may very well drop to #8. Given that scenerio, if you think he is a franchise back, and I do....I think you take him. I would want to listen to trade down offers though, and if one was good enough, I would do that as well.

El Tejano
03-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I tend to agree with your analysis. The bigtime WR in Johnson would make the most sense.

I also just saw a rumor that the Fins are talking about moving up to the #2 spot to grab Russell if this Raiders deal goes down. Rumor has it that Culpepper would be shipped to Detriot as part of the package.

If that happens, then there is very good chance that Quinn or Peterson fall to us, depending on who they take.

Joe Thomas would never make it past Arizona, so that is the longest of long shots.

So thinking about this, Raiders take Johnson, Miami goes Russell, Browns take Quinn.

I think TB takes Joe Thomas. I don't see them taking AP. I guess there is a slight chance they go with a Gaines Adams or Branch.

After that, it's a bit of a crapshoot, but I think AP may very well drop to #8. Given that scenerio, if you think he is a franchise back, and I do....I think you take him. I would want to listen to trade down offers though, and if one was good enough, I would do that as well.

After last years draft, I didn't think I would ever be anxious to see another draft again. After reading your post, I can't wait for the draft. I do realize that is based on a lot of rumor but it really does sound good.

Specnatz
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
This would change almost everything in the first 10 picks of the draft. I am probably in the minority as far as not wanting AP, because I think there are more pressing needs on the team especially with the signing of Green, so I would look for a trade down a few slots and or still take brown or Landry.

mexican_texan
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36108

kastofsna
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
no no no, russell isn't cam cameron's kind of quarterback at all. they need to be dedicated hard-working cerebral guys with more emphasis on the intermediate passes. see: brady quinn.

Porky
03-15-2007, 12:41 PM
no no no, russell isn't cam cameron's kind of quarterback at all. they need to be dedicated hard-working cerebral guys with more emphasis on the intermediate passes. see: brady quinn.

Well, if they hate him so much, they have a weird way of showing it.

Maimi Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/41997.html)

HomeBred_Texan
03-15-2007, 12:58 PM
You can sure tell it's getting close to draft time...

So much specualtion and guessing going on. Get's exciting this time every year...

Let's do a party... :snobord:

kastofsna
03-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, if they hate him so much, they have a weird way of showing it.

Maimi Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/41997.html)
"hate?"

Porky
03-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Ok hate is too strong of a word, but according to you he wouldn't even be looked at by the Fins, but it sure likes they are. If Quinn is their kind of QB and Russell isn't, why did they trade for Culpepper?

HOU-TEX
03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Just a rumor at this point, but it appears to have legs as it's being reported by the Boston Herald.

link (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664)

Not that it changes anything, but espn just talked about this. They said it wasn't going to happen according to "a source from Green Bay. So, who knows?

WillyP
03-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Not that it changes anything, but espn just talked about this. They said it wasn't going to happen according to "a source from Green Bay. So, who knows?

This trade makes no sense at all. This sounds like b.s fan forum speculation that became a rumor that became a story for some dumb reporters to hype in an attempt to scoop everyone else.

Why would the Raiders do this deal? Aaron Rodgers and a 7th for. Randy Moss. Just think about that for a moment....

The only way that deal goes down is if the Packers include a draft pick much higher than a seventh. Retarded.

freedoggy77
03-15-2007, 02:08 PM
even Carr is better than Rodgers! they should trade with us instead lol

TEXANRED
03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
even Carr is better than Rodgers! they should trade with us instead lol

Hey freedoggy, why does Landry's jersey look like it has bullet holes in the center of his number?

kastofsna
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok hate is too strong of a word, but according to you he wouldn't even be looked at by the Fins, but it sure likes they are. If Quinn is their kind of QB and Russell isn't, why did they trade for Culpepper?
whole different regime. completely different philosophy.

kastofsna
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
actually there isn't much logic at all there. the people who traded for culpepper aren't drafting for miami now.

Porky
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
actually there isn't much logic at all there. the people who traded for culpepper aren't drafting for miami now.

Ya, sorry. You got me this time. I wasn't thinking about that for some reason. I'm not saying you are right neccessarily, but my reasoning was off. My bad.

If the Fins moved to #2 and took Quinn, the Browns would be more likely to take Peterson imo. That could allow Russell to drop to us potentially, although the Bucs could take a look, and perhaps even Washington, or another team could even trade up.

There are more ifs than usual in the top 10 than there normally is imo.

dirty steve
03-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey freedoggy, why does Landry's jersey look like it has bullet holes in the center of his number?
maybe the picture was damaged or somewhat corrupted in the upload to the website.

Aiden
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Per the NFL Network the Raiders and the Packers are denying the rumor. I guess we will see how it all plays out. If Rodgers is included that would mean more than likely they will not draft Russell. It would send waves throughout the Top 10 of the draft.

swtbound07
03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't think rodgers is a good enough quarterback to impact the number 1 pick in the draft

dirty steve
03-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think rodgers is a good enough quarterback to impact the number 1 pick in the draft
i actually thought rodgers was a good pick for the packers at the time. favre looked to be close to retirement, and rodgers could have gone as high as #1, yet slipped to 24. is he even the gunslinger that al davis likes?

kastofsna
03-15-2007, 03:28 PM
yeah rodgers was pretty much out of the top 10 from the getgo, not sure why everyone thought he'd go higher. and the NFL let him sit in that green room all that time? they knew he wasn't a top 10 guy...

texasguy346
03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Apparently the Packers GM is denying the rumor & calling it "wild speculation" (link (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/PKR01/70315132/1978)), and the Packers CEO said he hasn't spoken with the Packers GM since Tuesday. So it's still up in the air.

run-david-run
03-15-2007, 03:41 PM
If this happens, it sets them up to grab the best player in the draft, Calvin Johnson. I would pray that Russell or Quinn or Thomas being on the board would be too much for Cleveland to pass up...maybe they target the Ohio State kid, Pittman, in a later round, but I see them still taking Peterson. What would TB do?
I would say that Tampa's board looks like this: 1. CJ 2. Thomas 3. Adams. It looks like CJ might be going to the Raiders, but Thomas could go to Detroit, Cleaveland or Tampa. Should be interesting.

run-david-run
03-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Old regiem. Cam Cameron is, I asume, bringing the San Diego offense with him.

Texan_Aggie222
03-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Okay a couple of things to comment here:

1. This is a serious rumor. I have heard from multiple sources that this thing could seriously be going down. The trade discussions were at their peak on Tuesday, but have seriously died down over the last couple of days.

2. The report that I had heard was that the Packers GM (Thompson is his name maybe? I'm not sure) was ready to pull the trigger on this deal, but Packers fans were very displeased at the possibility of this trade and spoke out against it. He listened, and the trade could be off thanks to Packers fans.

3. Even if the Raiders trade for a QB like Carr or Rodgers, I have always thought the #1 person on their board was C Johnson and not Russel. I know Russel makes more since to you, but thats not what they are thinking. Even if Russel does not get drafted #1 overall, there is no way he drops past #3, past Cleveland, because of the connection between Phil Savage and Russel, so you can stop your Russel to Miami bickering.

Trap_Star
03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Apparently the Packers GM is denying the rumor & calling it "wild speculation" (link (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/PKR01/70315132/1978)), and the Packers CEO said he hasn't spoken with the Packers GM since Tuesday. So it's still up in the air.

I find it weird that a newspaper in Boston would have the insight on such a deal. You would think that a media source in either Oakland or Green bay/Wisconsin would be the one to break the news...:spy:

Its BS IMO...

TwinSisters
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I find it weird that a newspaper in Boston would have the insight on such a deal. You would think that a media source in either Oakland or Green bay/Wisconsin would be the one to break the news...:spy:

Its BS IMO...

no, it wasn't just the Boston paper. ProFootballTalk has been spinning the same story.

this USA today story seems to cover all the bases
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sportsscope/2007/03/moss_trade_to_g.html

kastofsna
03-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Old regiem. Cam Cameron is, I asume, bringing the San Diego offense with him.
yeah. and he just named himeslf the offensive coordinator. although he's not calling the plays, which is good; too much on his plate for his first season as it is. thank god he's not GM. mueller has been great so far.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
2. The report that I had heard was that the Packers GM (Thompson is his name maybe? I'm not sure) was ready to pull the trigger on this deal, but Packers fans were very displeased at the possibility of this trade and spoke out against it. He listened, and the trade could be off thanks to Packers fans.

I doubt they would not make a trade because the fans were upset.

kastofsna
03-16-2007, 07:57 AM
also another reason to think miami is moving up with detroit is because mike martz doesn't like culpepper.
But in interviewing Martz, 55, the Dolphins' brass is talking to a coach who doesn't have a high regard for Culpepper.

Several football people close to Martz say that Martz thought the Dolphins made a mistake when they, in effect, exchanged Gus Frerotte for Culpepper before the 2006 season.

Frerotte, Martz told them, is a good backup who makes good decisions. Culpepper, though, is a more gifted player but is limited in his ability to read defenses and understand offensive concepts.

aproberts03
03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
moss hasn't done anything since his days with the vikings and it doesn't matter who the packers get since favre will always get the ball to the other teams hands..i think the packers should give rodgers more playing time and i think they would be a lot better

TwinSisters
03-16-2007, 06:58 PM
moss hasn't done anything since his days with the vikings and it doesn't matter who the packers get since favre will always get the ball to the other teams hands..i think the packers should give rodgers more playing time and i think they would be a lot better

not so sure about that.

in 15 seasons as a starter.

271 interceptions.

14 winning seasons

1 losing season.

148 wins.

20 post-season games.

4 different coaches, 6-8 different RBs, 5-6 different WRs, 2-3 different OLs ( depending on how you count them )

Big Ben Wallets
03-16-2007, 08:02 PM

I have been saying for over a month the Raiders ought to select Calvin Johnson with their pick. They need to do whatever it takes to trade Randy Moss and Jerry Porter and build the receiver core around Johnson and Ronald Curry.

It's hard to find a franchise QB. However, if you have great weapons its easy to make a decent quarterback into a very productive one. Anyways my sources have confirmed that the Raiders are intent on selecting Calvin Johnson. The information is very reliable and there's no chance Johnson won't go No. 1

Texan_Aggie222
03-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I doubt they would not make a trade because the fans were upset.

Yeah, a regualar GM of a team would not let the fans make an impact on his teams decision, but in Green Bay, the fans basically own the team, so things are a little bit different there.

freedoggy77
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM

well i've changed it but to answer your question it's cuz I took the 0 from andre's 80 jersey and that one had holes in it...i don't know y. plus i'm not the best photoshopper

freedoggy77
03-17-2007, 10:40 PM
I have been saying for over a month the Raiders ought to select Calvin Johnson with their pick. They need to do whatever it takes to trade Randy Moss and Jerry Porter and build the receiver core around Johnson and Ronald Curry.

It's hard to find a franchise QB. However, if you have great weapons its easy to make a decent quarterback into a very productive one. Anyways my sources have confirmed that the Raiders are intent on selecting Calvin Johnson. The information is very reliable and there's no chance Johnson won't go No. 1

i just read your blog...I don't think that the Raiders will skip on Johnson either but you sound so damn sure...what "sources" are these and would you be willing to bet a thousand bucks on the fact that johnson goes #1 (i'm not proposing a bet, just asking):confused: