PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice this FA pattern?

prostock101
03-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Me thinks some very smart moves by the new FO. Instead of paying a kazillion dollars for one or two high profile FA, they are concentrating on the area that will make or break a season. DEPTH! Something woefully needed by this team for a long while but rarely discussed. The signings of Jordan Black, Jeff Zgonina, and Danny Clark and the resignings of Salaam, Bruenner, and Kalu show the effort being made in that area. None of these guys are flashy but they are experienced veterans that will now allow Rick and Kub to focus on the best players in the draft without being desperate to fill a position. Any thoughts from the mob?

Being a genius is not as easy as it seems.........

:yahoo: :yahoo: :gotexans1

Ole Miss Texan
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Don't forget the signing of Green, when compared to the other FA RB's and those that were trade was half the price.

Smith is doing a great job..we've addressed RB,OL,DT,LB all of which NEEDED to be addressed. We'll see how much they actually contribute but there is no denying that these FA's will help our team. (imo)

Keep up the good work Smith...in both FA and future cap planning. Draft day..we will be seeing some really good players/picks.

prostock101
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree Green was a good pickup. I'm hopeful we can also resign Dayne and Leach. And I'm still on the Landry bandwagon for the 8th pick.......

Blake
03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Good point. This allows alot of wiggle room in the draft. Now Alan Branch isnt such a need. I still think our secondary needs some help.

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree. Rick Smith is doing a great job of signing player to provide depth. I really believe with the yearly FA/draft and one more year of offseason under Rick Smith, we will have a solid team.

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
If they can keep Leach and still have a little money left for the June cap casualty round-up, they could have an outstanding offseason and set themselves up to have more room under the cap next year.

I would rather them pass on any of the usual suspects left, and see who is cut around June to fill out the rest of the cap space. Once Deon Grant and Hamlin got signed, the pickings are pretty slim. The pickings might be better around June-time.

infantrycak
03-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Once Deon Grant and Hamlin got signed, the pickings are pretty slim.

Hamlin hasn't been signed yet.

El Tejano
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
So Zgonina signed with us? I have a hunch that Barber is going to come here also. Playing with young talent in Ryans could be just what it takes to lure him in.

I think that we also have to remember that they make decisions on players they feel best fits their system.

Nawzer
03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I've always felt and said that this team needs to develop good depth. We need players who can come in and contribute right away whether there is an injury situation with a starter. Good depth is also necessary keep your starter fresh through the long season. The Texans with the signing of Ahman Green, Danny Clark, Jordan Black, and Jeff Zgonina have shown that they're building good depth. Nothing that will blow you away but good solid signings that will pay dividends.

dvs1
03-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I like that they are developing our depth, just hope they don't forget to develop our starting lineup too.

El Tejano
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
These are called breather guys. Thomas Johnson needs to come out for a second, in goes Zgonina for one or two plays and Johnson is right back in there.

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Hamlin hasn't been signed yet.

really? i thought the Saints had signed him. i wonder if we have enough in the tank to sign him. he is an upgrade for sure, but some would say just a slightly improved version of CC Brown (all rush defense, little to no pass defense)

TexanRoadrunner
03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Good solid signings that aren't cap killers. Depth is important b/c it does allow you to be flexible with the draft. Hamlin hasn't been signed yet so he is the only guy left that I would be interested in the Texans signing until June cap times. I wanted to see a FA @ WR but now im more inclined to see them draft one possibly 2nd round to get a nice target for whoever the qb is.

infantrycak
03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
really? i thought the Saints had signed him. i wonder if we have enough in the tank to sign him. he is an upgrade for sure, but some would say just a slightly improved version of CC Brown (all rush defense, little to no pass defense)

He visited. I think the Texans want a FS that is closer to a CB than to a SS if they are going to change from who they have.

real
03-14-2007, 04:56 PM
He visited. I think the Texans want a FS that is closer to a CB than to a SS if they are going to change from who they have.

That's why i think they'd be more interested in Nelson than Landry.

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2007, 04:56 PM

yeah and probably a wise plan. last time I checked Manning was still in our division.....

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
That's why i think they'd be more interested in Nelson than Landry.

yeah but a pass rush is also part of a pass defense. granted, i have only seen mostly highlights of Landry, the highlights I have seen have really shown that he has the ability to hide his blitz and get to the QB and deliver MUCH pain. That is all you have to do against Manning, simple as that, but its just easier said than done.

afcman
03-14-2007, 05:04 PM
last time I checked Manning was still in our division.....

Yeah, and now Young too. (I know, I know.....)

I'm happy with what Smith and the gang have done so far. Can't wait for the draft.

thunderkyss
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
yeah and probably a wise plan. last time I checked Manning was still in our division.....

He did say if...

I don't know if the Texans are too concerned about the Safety position.

Wolf
03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
He did say if...

I don't know if the Texans are too concerned about the Safety position.

I hope safety is a concern (however I wish we could get a stud CB to go with D-rob)

TheRealJoker
03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Note we have yet to sign a DB or a WR (besides Charlie Adams)

Methinks that may mean we're targeting DB/WR early...

WAR LANDRY!!!

thunderkyss
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Note we have yet to sign a DB or a WR (besides Charlie Adams)

Methinks that may mean we're targeting DB/WR early...

WAR LANDRY!!!

Well... Considering our biggest FA signing of '06 was a DE, and we also added an aging MLB, then use our first two picks at those very positions...

I'd probably rethink what "that" might mean.

TheRealJoker
03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Check and mate tk, I like how you play the game!!!

TheRealJoker
03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
But we were also converting defensive schemes and needed to overhaul those positions. What say you now?

David's Busted Carr
03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the one area that has been ignored so far is the secondary, which leads me to believe they are strongly considering LaRon Landry.

cj5776
03-14-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't know about FS that high. To me there is such a hole at WR and QB, and CB has to be a priority also. Only if they pick up an extra 1st day pick, would I draft a day one safety. That would give them either laundry or nelson late in the first or maybe Merriweather in the second. If they can not take Quinn and trade down, Kolb will be the Texans qb next year as a 2nd round pick. That is probably the only way they get the fourth first day pick.

freedoggy77
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
why take Kolb in the second when you can get him in the third? (i've seen some mocks with him falling to the fifth!) and LANDRY is a need. D-FENCE

thunderkyss
03-15-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't know about FS that high.

With his speed, I'm sure he's a top ten pick, which means worst case scenario, we're drafting him two spots too high.

I can live with that.

cj5776
03-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Mock drafts smock drafts, Kolb will be gone in the third, if the texans have him as the man then he will be their second round pick. At this point it really looks like Sage, BVan Pelt, and a rookie will be the only QBs in camp, besides a few long shots. With that lack of depth, even if thier targeted qb has a late 2nd grade, the Texans will use a high 2nd round pick on him. Not that it means jack but Mclame said Kolb could sneak into the first. He and the BYU guy are neck and neck to be the third best QB. Kolb fits the offense better and is younger with more upside.

cj5776
03-15-2007, 12:25 AM
With his speed, I'm sure he's a top ten pick, which means worst case scenario, we're drafting him two spots too high.

I can live with that.

I know the best player available line, but safety is not that big a need. Yes CC Brown is better suited as a strong safety, but McCleon or Hutch could be used in long passing situations. There is a reason the team went the whole offseason last year without signing a new starter in the secondary. Walters and Sage need competition more than CC Brown.

South Texan
03-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Looks like they are going after Landry to me too.

So now that we all know how they are thinking, of couse they will take Levi Brown.

quicksilver
03-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Or Okoye.